H. F. VORTKAMP

H. F. VORTKAMP, pharmacist, whose place of business is
at No. 300 North Main street, Lima, on the corner opposite the Court
House, belongs to the city's representative business men.  He was born
in 1858, at Senora, Preble County, Ohio, and is a son of Bernard
Vortkamp, long deceased, who was a faithful soldier in the Civil War.
   H. F. Vortkamp was reared and educated in Cincinnati and was
graduated from the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy in 1880.  He had
previously creditably passed through the parochial high school at
Cincinnati and before entering the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy had
read medicine in the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery.  After
his final graduation in pharmacy, he engaged in the drug business in
Cincinnati until 1886 and then removed his interests to Milford, Ohio,
where he continued until 1893, when he came to Lima.  He has continued
here in the drug business ever since and has the confidence of the
public; his experience and medical knowledge make his establishment
regarded as the leading one in the city as to reliability.  He is
secretary of the Allen County Association of Retail Druggists and has
held every office in the Association except that of treasurer.  He has
held every office in the Ohio State Pharmaceutical Association from the
lowest to that of vice-president, and has on many occasions been a
delegate to national and State pharmaceutical conventions.  He was
chairman of the Ohio delegation at the national pharmaceutical meeting
held at Boston in 1905.  At present he holds no official relation with
that body, having felt compelled to resign on account of many pressing
private matters of business.
   Mr. Vortkamp is a Democrat and has always been more or less
interested in politics.  He was a delegate to the State convention that
nominated Pattison for Governor, and was the only delegate that remained
all through faithful to his convictions.  He is a member of the Lima
Progressive Association and has served in the Lima City Council.  He has
other business interest in addition to those in Lima, namely: Stock in
the Hollister Drug Company, of Madison, Wisconsin; stock in the Sterling
Remedy Company, of Kramer, Indiana; and stock in the United Drug
Company, of Boston, Massachusetts.
    In 1880 Mr. Vortkamp was married to Carrie F. Fleischman, of
Cincinnati, a member of a distinguished family of that city, and they
have three sons and two daughters, viz:  Harry F., who has just
completed a six-year course at Niagara University, New York; George J.,
who is a graduate of the Ohio Normal University at Ada and has passed
his examination before the State Board of Pharmacy; Charles, who is a
student in St. Rose Parochial School, Lima; Henrietta, who is a Sister
of Charity, now teaching in Denver; and Elizabeth, who is a student in
St. Rose Parochial School.
    The family belong to St. Rose Catholic Church.  Mr. Vortkamp is a
member of the Catholic Knights of Ohio and is vice-president of Branch
No. 23.  His portrait accompanies this sketch.

REV. W. H. GALLANT

REV. W. H. GALLANT, who for the past 35 years has been
a minister in the Baptist Church, scarcely needs an introduction to the
people of Allen County, for his religious work has covered so large a
territory and has been productive of such wide-spread interest that
there are few localities in which he is not well known.  His birth took
place in Hancock County, Ohio, May 28, 1841, and he is the only son of
William and Emily (Moore) Gallant.
    Mr. Gallant comes of Irish and English ancestry.  His paternal
grandmother was a cousin to that great statesman, Henry Clay.  The
father of our esteemed subject was born in January, 1811, and died from
an accident in 1866.  The mother was born in March, 1817, and died at
Spencerville, at the home of her son, at the age of 83 years and 10
months, passing away just two hours later than England's venerable
queen, in 1902.  Mr. Gallant's parents were aged respectively 23 and 17
years when they were united in marriage in Delaware County, Ohio.  They
came from large families, both having brothers and sisters numbering 11,
but their children were eight in all, the survivors being: Amelia, widow
of Joshua Stokesberry, now aged 69 years, who resides with her children;
Martha, widow of Alfred Gorby, a farmer; and W. H., of Spencerville.
The parents rest in Hassan Cemetery, eight miles northeast of Ada, Ohio.
    W. H. Gallant was the only son of his parents' family and was born
in the woods in Hancock County.  He was reared on the pioneer farm and,
off an on, attended the district schools until he was 17 years old,
enjoying also some advantages at Findlay.  He then began to teach school
and for 14 years followed this progression at various times, teaching in
all 28 school terms.  His conversion dates from his 19th year, in March,
1859, and he was baptized on the 8th of the following June in the Old
School Baptist Church.  Before going into the details of his years of
ministerial work, mention must be here made of his services as a
soldier, these of themselves being of an important enough character to
entitle him to the deep regard of his fellow-citizens.
   From the opening of the Civil War his sympathies were enlisted, but
he did not actually enter the service until 1862, when he became a
member of Company D, 99th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., from which he was
honorably discharged in March 1863.  The continuance of the rebellion
made more troops necessary and in 1864 he again entered the service,
enlisting in Company F, 122nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf, under General Wright.
On March 25, 1865, before Petersburg, he was terribly wounded, receiving
three shots, the one of his left leg necessitating the amputation of the
limb just below his knee.  In spite of the disadvantages to which this
accident has subjected him, he has never permitted it to interfere with
his pastoral work and he has never on that account shirked any hard duty
of his calling.  He has ridden miles and miles over a rough country,
through cold and storm to keep an appointment, to preach the Gospel, to
perform a marriage service of to say comforting works above the grave.
    After his return from the army and recuperation from his accident
and injury, he took up active work in the church, a burden he has never
laid down.  He remained in the Old School Baptist Church and then
assisted in organizing the Riley Creek Baptist Church and was its first
clerk.  He began preaching in 1869 and in December, 1870, he was
ordained in the Riley Creek Baptist Church, only three days after its
dedication.  This was his first pastorate.  He recalls his work in that
church with feelings of the greatest satisfaction, it being on the
ground where he used to play ball in his boyhood.  He has served four
pastorates in this church, aggregating 11 years and, when far away has
traveled a distance of 60 miles to attend some special service here,
like the burial of an old pioneer, a member of one of his early
congregations.
   Mr. Gallant has been pastor of 17 churches of the Auglaize Baptist
Association, of which he is now moderator, and each pastorate included
adjacent missions, as follows: Riley Creek, with four; Marion, four;
Mercer, four; Pleasant Grove, four; Waynesfield, three; Spencerville,
four; Amanda, two; Willshire, two; and one each at Neptune, McDonald,
Haviland, Kenton, Providence, Blanchard Valley, Pleasant Mills
(Indiana), where he remained one year; Harrison, Pleasant View and South
Lima.  He built churches at Riley Creek, Marion, Spencerville,
Willshire, Haviland and South Lima, assisted in having repairs made on
the church at Waynesfield to the amount of $604, and cleared a debt of
$872 at Mercer and one of $700 at Pleasant Grove.  He has been uniformly
successful in evangelistic work and at one meeting, in 1885, 47 converts
were made.  He has extended the hand of fellowship to 100 converts in
the Amanda, Riley Creek and Waynesfield churches.
   In 1879 Mr. Gallant organized the Baptist Church at Spencerville.
There were but four constituent members, viz: George H. Kephart and
wife, Ella Kephart, Susanna Sutton and Mrs. Fisher.  Through the efforts
of Mr. Gallant, by 1881, a regular church replaced the mission and by
the close of the fourth year the little faithful body numbered 55.  Only
one of the original constituent members, Mrs. Susanna Sutton, is now
living.  The present church edifice was erected at a cost of $3,000,
while its furnishings are also valuable and in accordance with present
demands.
   Mr. Gallant has been twice married.  On November 1, 1860, he was
married in Hancock County, Ohio, to Lucinda Watt, who died in April,
1903, at St. Marys, Ohio, having been an invalid for a number of years.
During the whole period of illness she was tenderly cared for by her
husband whose ministrations eased her months of helplessness.  She was
the mother of three children, viz:  Effie, Charles William and Willard
L.   The daughter was a popular teacher in the public schools prior to
her marriage to Adolphus Bice; they have four children Clyde; Hubert, a
graduate of the Spencerville schools, a teacher at the age of 16 years
and now a student at Oxford; Nellie and Lucy.  Charles William, the
eldest son of Mr. Gallant, suffered for 12 years with heart trouble and
died at the age of 19 years and 10 months.  At the age of 18 he was
baptized by his father at the Pleasant View Baptist Church, near the
Indiana line.  Willard L., the second son, married Alice Balyeat and
they have a son, Jewell.
    Mr. Gallent married, second, Mrs. Sarah Frances Kershner, who was
born in Shelby County, Ohio, and is a daughter of William Ginn.  Her
father was born in Ireland and came as an early settler to Shelby
County, Ohio.  He died at Dayton, the father of 14 children.  He married
three times, his second wife being Miriam Botkin, who bore five
children, viz:  Mary,  John, James, Johnson and Sarah Frances, the last
named born in 1849.  On March 5, 1866, Sarah Frances Ginn married
Francis Marion Kershner.  He was born in Geene County, Ohio, near Xenia,
in January, 1841, and died in October, 1896.  They had three children,
as follows: William Erie, Lura M and Anna.  William Erie was
superintendent of schools for 16 years, during which he served these
places: Mendon, Mercer County; Prairie Depot, Wood County, and Columbus
Grove.  He resigned from the last named position to accept one with
Lippincott & Company, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a traveling
salesman, his line being school supplies.  He married Mamie Barrington
and they have one daughter, Helen Barrington.  The eldest daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Kershner is Mrs. Otto Botkin; she has one daughter, Lillian
Frances.  The youngest daughter is Mrs. Reno Moore; she has two children
Marion Seymour and Naomi Ginn.  On October 28, 1903, Mrs. Kershner was
united to Rev. W. H. Gallant.  She united first with the United Brethren
Church in 1874 and with the Bapist Church in 1888.
    Mr. Gallant can look back over many fruitful years.  While he no
longer feels called upon to risk his life and health in the long
journeyings which formerly were his daily task, on occasion he will go
far to attend some particular church function, especially it in so doing
he can recall memories and acquaintances of the early days of his
ministerial life, for which he cherishes the tenderness recollections.
In 1905 he made such a journey.  Out of the 28 candidates to be ordained
in his old church was a young man, one of his own converts George Lewis.
Mr. Gallant wished to be present at the ordination of this young man,
who had been chosen as a missionary to China, and it was a great
pleasure for him to be chosen to offer the ordination prayer on this
occasion in the very church where he, himself, had been ordained in 1870.         

DANIEL E. KIPLINGER

DANIEL E. KIPLINGER.   Probably of all the older
citizens of Lima, none has better claim to be remembered than has the
subject of this sketch, who for many years was closely identified with
the material growth of the city.  It has been computed that it all the
structures that he has erected here should be massed, a village of
considerable size would be found Mr. Kiplinger was born in June, 1830,
in Springfield, Ohio, and is a son of Philip Kiplinger.
   Away back to the days when white settlers fought in Ohio with the
Indians before they could establish safe and peaceful homes, the
Kiplinger family was known, and one of the named was a defender of Fort
Defiance.  The grandfather of our subject, Daniel Kiplinger, came from
Virginia at a very early day and settled in Clark County, Ohio, and
there Philip Kiplinger, his son also spent his life.
   In March, 1854, Daniel E. Kiplinger came to Lima, and became one of
the pioneer contractors.  He was skilled far beyond any of his
competitors and was so rapid in his work that it came to be a common
saying that it as cheaper to hire Daniel Kiplinger by the day than any
one else by contract.  Almost all of the earlier business blocks in Lima
were built by him, and some of these, notably the Collins Block and the
Ashton Block, are still standing.  Many of the others have been torn
down on account of public improvements or to make way for larger
structures.  There are standing hundreds of neat residences and
comfortable homes, built after the fashion of his day, and still stanch
and true so far as their construction goes.  Mr. Kiplinger continued
contracting and building until forced to retire from constant activity,
by failing health, in 1898.   Since then he has occasionally assisted
his son, the leading carpenter and contractor of the city, C. F.
Kiplinger.
    Mr. Kiplinger was married, first, in February, 1855, to Mary E.
Cookston, who was a daughter of the late Thomas Cookston.  The two
surviving children of that marriage are: Cilfford L., a well-known
contractor at Lima, and Clarence, a resident of Columbus.  The mother of
these sons died in 1861.  On October 2, 1862, Mr. Kiplinger was married
to Mary E Owens, who was born in Wales and is a daughter of Hugh Owens.
Mr. Owens came to America and to Allen County in 1844 and settled in
Sugar Creek township, where he cleared and improved a fine farm.  He
died in 1851, survived by his wife and five children.  The estimable
mother of Mrs. Kiplinger kept her children together and followed out her
husband's wish in the development of the farm.  She died in 1881,
leaving but two survivors, Mrs. Kiplinger and a sister, Anna, who is the
wife of O. A. Jones.  The latter is considered one of the best farmers
in Sugar Creek township, having a record of raising 1, 600 bushels of
corn on 22 acres of land.
   Mr. and Mrs. Kiplinger had three children, but have been bereaved of
all.  The eldest James Edward, died at the age of 34 years after having
won a place second to none among California journalists.  Raymond D.,
the second son, was formerly yard clerk for the Cincinnati & Eastern
Railroad and died aged 22 years.  The only daughter, Anna Mary, passed
away in her 15th year. Mr. and Mrs. Kiplinger belong to Trinity
Methodist Episcopal Church.  For four years he was a member of the Lima
City Council, and for three years, of the Board of Equalization.
Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason.

MAURICE HOFELLER

MAURICE HOFELLER, of Lima, proprietor of one of the
largest and most complete gentlemen's furnishing establishments in
Northwestern Ohio, was born in Buffalo, New York, in September, 1866.
His father dying when he was a child of five years, his mother recrossed
the ocean to her native land Germany, where our subject remained until
1882.  Returning to America, he located in Chicago, and secured work in
a wholesale house which handled ladies' cloaks and suits.  Later he was
employed  in New York, and then entered a retail clothing store in
Jamestown, New York, conducted by the Marble Hall Clothing Company,
where he remained for 11 years.
   IN 1896 Mr. Hofeller came to Lima as manager of the Mammoth Clothing
Store, and one year later, acting upon the advice of several local
friends, opened a modest store devoted to gentlemen's furnishings.  This
business has grown from the first, the present stock being twice as
large as the original, with much larger quarters to accommodate it.  Mr.
Hofeller has marked business ability, as is evidenced by the extensive
patronage which he has secured and held.  He is secretary of the
Downward Asphalt Company of the Indian Territory, and organization
founded upon Lima capital.  Mr. Hofeller was married, in 1900, to Emma
Tigner, daughter of William Tigner.  He is prominent in Lima Lodge, No
162, B. P. O. E., as well as in Masonic circles, and is honored and
esteemed both for his business and social qualities.    

BERNARD GERMAN

BERNARD GERMAN, who enjoys the distinction of being
the second oldest settler of Marion township, living continuously on his
own land, was born in Germany in December, 1826, and is a son of Bernard
and Mary (Horn) German.
   The boyhood and early youth of Mr. German were spent in his native
land where he acquired a good, common-school education and enough
knowledge of machinery to enable him to secure a position as stationary
engineer, after coming to America, at the age of 17 years.  He lived at
Cincinnati for 15 years.  In 1857 he left that city and moved to Allen
County.  He purchased 62 acres of wild land, in section 22, Marion
township, and the present fine farm was all cleared by his individual
efforts, with the exception of 10 acres.  He paid the sum of $1,000 in
gold for this property, its fine location along the Auglaize River
making it a very desirable tract.  The highway which now passes his
comfortable residence was evolved from the blazed path he made, more
than 40 years ago.
   At the time Mr. German settled on his farm in Marion township,
Delphos was, as it now is the nearest trading center, but almost every
other fact has changed.  Where now broad highways afford easy
transportation to different points and where electric roads afford
conveniences for more extended travel, in his day roamed the wild
creatures of the wilderness, many of these so unaccustomed to the
presence of the white man as to venture very close to his habitation.
With game in abundance and the beautiful river teeming with fish, the
pioneers of Marion township had advantages over settlers in many other
localities.  Mr. German's  home was the inevitable house of logs, but
his, unlike many others, was constructed without the use of a single
nail, pegs of wood and wooden hinges sufficing.  The comfortable little
cabin had a puncheon floor and the huge fireplace was the dispenser of
both heat and light.  The furniture was very simple although entirely
adequate, much of it being of home manufacture.  A lard lamp was made
use of for special occasions, but in those days the tired residents did
not turn night into day as is often the custom of the present, and lard
lamps and tallow candles were all sufficient.  The winter clothing was
made from the wool farm, Mr. German's estimable wife carding, spinning
and weaving it into a strong, warm, fabric and making it into excellent,
serviceable clothing.  Mr. German says that in the early days of life in
Marion township, he and his good wife, like their neighbors, enjoyed
visiting and making trip to Delphos, riding on the same horse and even
carried some of the little  ones along without inconvenience.
    Mr. German was married on June 27, 1847, to Mary Fortman, who is a
daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Point) Fortman.  Mr. Fortman crossed
the Atlantic Ocean from Germany about 1833 in one of the sailing vessels
of that day, and was one of the early settlers at Dayton, Ohio.  In 1837
he settled in section 21, Marion township, on the west side of the
river.  Joseph Fortman and wife had seven children, viz:  Joseph;
Benjamin; Elizabeth, wife of John Clausing; Mary, wife of Mr. German;
Dena (Dickerman); and Anthony, who lives on the old Forman homestead.
He and Mrs. German are the only survivors of the Fortman family.  Joseph
Fortman died aged 60 years and his wife, at the age of 79 years.  Mrs.
German, like her husband, can recall many of the early experiences of
the pioneers of Marion township.  When her father first built his log
cabin in the woods here, there were still numbers of Indians roving
through the country, subsisting upon the wild game which was so
plentiful. As the first home of the family was entirely without a roof
and consisted in fact of a square barricade, with no door, the only way
in which either Indians or wild creatures could get in to disturb the
inmates when at rest, was to enter in the same manner as did Mr. Fortman
and family, and that was to crawl under.  He was a man of great
industry, and as he knew that work on public improvements could be had
if he could provide for his family and then leave them for a time, he
did what seemed best under the circumstances.  No great fatality
attended them, and as soon as he felt sure they could be safe, he went
to work on the Great Reservoir then being built, and next found
profitable employment on the canal at Deep Cut, near Spencer.  He also
did a great deal of the grubbing work for the canal in sections 12, 15,
and 14, and when the canal was completed, he, with his son Anthony, were
passengers on the first boat that arrived at Delphos.  After the canal
was established Mr. Fortman returned to his farm and assisted in its
clearing.   As noted above, his son Anthony occupies the farm, having
lived upon it for 68 years.  It is in the extreme northern part of
Marion township on the edge of Putnam County.
   Mrs. German remembers how the family came on foot from Dayton, camped
out at night and thus, tired and lonely reached the log cabin shelter in
Marion township  The great fire-place gave warmth and all the cooking
was done by it, and the admirable mother spun and wove in the light of
this fire.  Among the wild animals which surrounded the home and
frequently disturbed their peace of mind.  Mrs. German mentions bears,
deer, wolves and porcupines.  On one occasion a herd of 14 deer came so
near the home that her brother Anthony killed one big buck with a club.
In her youth her father used the flail to thresh out his grain, which he
disposed of at Fort Jennings, which was their nearest trading point.
The corn they raised had to be taken to this place to be ground until
Mr. Fortman was able to buy a hand mill of his own.  he assisted in the
construction of the first frame church at Delphos, the Church of St.
John the Evangelist.  Her brother, Anthony Fortman, married Annie
Hempker, a daughter of Conrad Hempker, and they adopted Elizabeth, who
later became the wife of John Clausing.
   Mr. and Mrs. German had nine children, the survivors being : Bernard,
A. J., John, Louis and Frank.  Bernard, named for his father and
grandfather, resides in Oklahoma Territory.  He married Mary Vergerson
and has seven children, one of these, Mary, married George Droll, and
has a daughter.  A. J. married Kate Neimeyer, a daughter of David and a
granddaughter of David Neimeyer, a pioneer of Allen County, and they
have three children: Loretta, Leo and Sylvester; they live on the home
farm.  John also resides at home.  Louis resides at Fort Jennings and he
and wife have four children.  Frank married Frances Knipp and they have
six children.  Thus our venerable subject and wife have 20 grandchildren
and two great-grandchildren.  Politically, Mr. German is a Democrat.  He
has served as supervisor and as trustee of Marion township, and he has
also served as president, secretary and as a director in the German
Farmers' Mutual Insurance Company.  With his family he belongs to the
Catholic Church.  He belongs to the church of St. John the Evangelist at
Delphos and was one of the trustees when the new church was erected.  He
has been prominent in the township in many was and commands the respect
of all who know him.

THOMAS GRUBB

THOMAS GRUBB,  a member of one of the pioneer families
of the county, and a respected citizen and substantial farmer, resides
on his excellently improved farm of 125 acres, situated in section 35,
Amanda township.  Mr. Grubb was born in LaFayette, this county,
September 27, 1853, and is a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Robinson)
Grubb.
    John B. Grubb, father of our subject, was born in 1820 and his wife
in September, 1826.  They are old and well-known residents of Auglaize
township and are still living at the ages respectively of 86 and 80
years.   When John B. Grubb first came to Allen from Washington County,
Ohio, he rode through the forest and blazed a path, his parents
following with an ox team and being obliged to cut a road in order to
reach the site of their future home.  His mother was a native of
Ireland. John B. Grubb and wife had six children, our subject being the
fourth in order of birth.
   Thomas Grubb was reared to be a practical farmer.  His parents sent
him to both the district and a select school, and he remained at home
until 1878, when he married.  On February 26, 1881, Mr. Grubb purchased
his present farm in Amanda township, which as he describes it, was then
a "regular frog pond;" but it bears no resemblances to that now with its
2,500 rods of drain tile and its surface showing productive fields and
rich pastures.  Mr. Grubb has given much attention to the growing of
fine stock, and makes a specialty of full blooded Merino sheep.  The
whole property is neatly fenced and its substantial and systematic
appearance testifies to Mr. Grubb's home interest, as well as to his
agricultural ability.  In 1894 he erected  his beautiful residence, and
four years later, his substantial barn, the dimensions of the latter
being 40 by 50 feet, with 18 foot posts.  His other buildings are
entirely adequate for the purposes intended, and the entire place adds
to the general attractiveness of Amanda township.
    On August 29, 1878, Mr. Grubb was married to Catherine Bowers, who
is a daughter of John B. and Amanda E. (Shannon) Bowers.  Mrs Grubb was
born at Springfield, Ohio, April 20 , 1859.   Her parents moved to
Auglaize township, when she was two years old.  Her father died April 1,
1863, but her mother survived until May 9, 1880.  Mr. and Mrs. Grubb
have three children, viz: Rolla Gleaner, Laura Bessie and Zida Maud.
The son attended college at Lima, where he now has his residence, being
a traveling salesman.  He married Maude Ellen Myers.  Laura Bessie
married Marion Hillyard, of Shawnee township, and they have three
children Daisy Pearl, Myrland Dwight and Howard.  Zida Maud married
Edward Boyer, of Spencerville, and they have one son, Ivan Grubb.  The
four grandchildren find in their grandparents very indulgent elders,
while the latter enjoy the respect and affection lavished upon them so
heartily by the younger generation.
    Mr. Grubb has been a lifelong Democrat and has frequently
represented the party in county and State conventions.  In 1882 Mr.
Grubb was elected justice of the peace, and served the township as such
for six years, rendering during this period many very important
decisions which met with general approval.  He has been prominent in the
Patrons of Husbandry, has held almost every position in its gift and was
secretary of the county organization.  With his estimable wife, he is an
active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Allentown.  She was
converted at the age of 15 years, and Mr. Grubb, in 1878,  He is a
steward and president of the township Sunday-school association. 
    On a foregoing page in proximity to this is shown a group picture in
which are shown representatives of four generations the Grubb family.

A. A. LLEWELLYN

A. A. LLEWELLYN, proprietor of the People's Book Store
at Lima, has been a resident of the city for 25 years and with his
estimable wife, has been a leader in social and business circles.  He
was born at Sweet Springs, West Virginia, and is a son of A. A.
Llewellyn, Sr., and Elizabeth B. (Bowyer) Llewellyn.  The father was a
farmer and stock man of West Virginia who during the days of slavery had
been educated for an overseer, but, before the emancipation of the
negro, he removed to McLean County, Illinois, and there engaged in
agriculture, being regarded as the most scientific farmer of his time
and section.
    Our subject received his education in Bloomington, Illinois, and then
for a period of 12 years embarked in the drug, stationery and wall-paper
business in Champaign, Illinois.  Afterward he traveled for the D. B.
Scully Syrup Company, of Chicago, covering for 21 consecutive years the
territory of Western Ohio, Southern Michigan, and Eastern and Central
Indiana.  Resigning that position he purchased his present business in
September, 1905, and both he and his wife are giving it their attention,
promising to make it the leading book store of the county.
   On April 3, 1883, Mr. Llewellyn was married to Martha Bowyer.  In
1830 her father, Madison Bowyer, whose biography appears elsewhere in
this work, came to this county from Eastern Virginia, where his father,
Isaac Bowyer, had entered a large tract of land from the government.
Mrs. Llewellyn is a lady of high literary and artistic attainments,
having graduated in 1878, from the college at Delaware, Ohio, where she
received the degree of Bachelor of Literature.  Coming to Lima, she was
the first to introduce painting in oil here hand had large classes in
art work and painting until she gave up teaching some three years ago.
She is an active member of the Women's Auxiliary of Lima College and a
prominent society leader. Both Mr. and Mrs. Llewellyn are members of the
First Congregational Church of Lima, contributing liberally of both time
and means to the cause of religion.  Mr. Llewellyn is also a prominent
member of the T. P. A.

JOHN T. ADAMS

JOHN T. ADAMS, one of the best known and most popular
citizens of Amanda township, who has resided on his fine farm of 127
acres in section 10 for a half century, was born February 29, 1832, in
Champaign County, Ohio, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Long) Adams.
   The parents of Mr. Adams were natives of Virginia and Kentucky,
respectively.  The moved to Amanda township, Allen County, in the spring
of 1833, taking their children into into the wilderness with the
expectation of founding for them a comfortable home and rearing them
well, although home might for a time be without the advantages of more
civilized localities.  But the father was killed by a falling tree, when
our subject was only four years old, an accident not unusual at that
time.  The mother was left with five little children to rear, which she
did nobly and well lending two of them to their country in its days of
peril.
    Mr. Adams settled in section 10, Amanda township, and built his log
cabin on the banks of the Auglaize River, to which the Shawnee Indians
often came; but, as far as we have been informed, with no evil
intentions.  Mr. Adams did not live to see the results of his several
years of industry and probably never even imagined the transformation
which has taken place. A part of his land he secured from the State and
the remainder from a Mr. Russell, who resided near Piqua, to which point
the family was obliged to go to mill.  The mother survived to the age of
72 years and to her courage, industry, economy and good management, much
of the family prosperity was due.  She was deft in all housewifely arts
of her day, could spin and weave, sew, bake and brew and, on occasion no
doubt, assisted her sons in their tasks  Her children hold her in loving
remembrance.  They were as follows: William, now deceased, who enlisted
for three years in the Civil War, entering Company A, 81st Reg., Ohio
Vol. Inf.; John T., of this sketch, who served 100 days in Company B,
151st Reg., Vol. Inf.; James of Champaign County, Ohio; and two
deceased.
    John T. Adams very early became accustomed to assist on the farm,
and later, with his brothers, William and James, cleared and improved
it.  He was reared and educated mainly in Champaign County, to which the
family removed about 1839, and was 22 years old when he came back to
this county and entered into the serious business of developing a farm
out of the forest.  To-day it is one of the most valuable and beautiful
farms on the river.  Mr. Adams has added to its natural advantages by
erecting a very handsome modern residence which overlooks the
Spencerville and Lima turnpike road.  He can relate many interesting
incidents of the early days here, when the Indians traversed the forest
surrounding the home, in pursuit of the wild game which abounded.
  In 1867 Mr. Adams was united in marriage with Violet Russell, who is a
daughter of Joseph and Celia Russell.  She was born on a farm in
Champaign County adjoining the one which was his birth place.   They
have one son, Charles F.  The latter was born in Amanda township and was
well educated in the public schools.  He manages his father's farm, the
latter having practically retired.  He married Eva Travis and they have
four children, viz: Ruth, John, named for his grandfather; James, named
for his grand uncle; and Celia, who bears the name of her
great-grandmother.
   In 1900 Mr. Adams was elected a trustee of Amanda township and at the
expiration of his term was reelected, but resigned in 1905.  He is
recognized as one of the useful, reliable and public-spirited men of the
locality.

D. W. MILLER

D. W. MILLER,  a member of the general contracting
firm of Ruhlen & Miller, at Lima, has been a resident of this city since
1891.  He was born in Allen County in 1869, and is a son of Marcus
Miller, one of the oldest settlers in Allen County, who died in 1876.
   D. W. Miller was reared and educated in this county and still owns a
good farm in Bath township, although the greater part of his life has
been given to the carpenter's trade and contracting.  He learned his
trade in youth and followed it throughout the county until with in the
past five years, since when he has been associated with Mr. Ruhlen in
general contracting and in operating a large planning mill.  This firm is
one which enjoys the entire confidence of the public and has erected a
large proportion  of the fine buildings in Lima.  Some of the buildings
in their list, and which prove the substantial character of their work,
are the new residence of Edward M. Gooding on West Market street; John
D. Finn's residence on McKinley street; and the Renz and Duffield
blocks, both on Main street.  They have also done a large amount of work
in the county, have erected three schoolhouses in Bath township and are
now engaged in making additions to the County Infirmary.
   Mr. Miller votes as does a good citizen, but he takes no active
interest in politics.  Fraternally, he is prominent as an Odd Fellow,
being past grand of Allen Lodge, No. 223, past chief patriarch of the
Encampment and a member of the Canton Orion, No. 24, Patriarchs
Militant.

LEONIDAS HOLLOWAY

LEONIDAS HOLLOWAY, a pioneer of 1851, who for many
years has been a well-known resident of Spencer township, has been
retired form active life for some years; but in spite of his 84 years he
retains physical health and possesses a memory which goes back to the
beginning of a very remarkable career.  Mr. Holloway was born in Knox
County, Ohio, July 18, 1822, and is a son of David and Phoebe (Clark)
Holloway.
    David Holloway, the father, was born in Scotland, May 21, 1786, and
emigrated to America and settling in New Jersey.  In New York, on July
11, 1807, he was married to Phoebe Clark who was born July 19, 1785.  To
this union were born five daughters and four sons.  All of the nine
children reached maturity, married and had families of their own.
Leonidas, of this sketch, was the eighth in order of birth and although
his life was probably endangered more than that of any of his brothers
or sisters, he has survived them all.  David Holloway was a very early
settler in Knox County, Ohio, traveling by team from the East to
Massillon and then settling in the woods that extended for miles over
the present cultivated fields of Knox County.  His life was that of the
early pioneer, and he met and overcame the hardships of that early day
with the courage and capacity which the very name of pioneer implies.
He died in Knox County on September 10, 1862, aged 76 years.  His wife
had passed away many years before, dying September 19, 1838. 
    Leonidas Holloway was reared in Knox County, not far from Mount
Vernon, Ohio.  His schooling was limited, the time, locality and
circumstances preventing the seizing of many educational opportunities.
Like many other young men of his day, he drifted far from home, led by
an adventurous spirit and a hardiness of physical health which sought an
outlet different from the confinements of rural life.  Thus he went to
Texas and for 18 months served with the Texas Rangers prior to enlisting
at New Orleans for service in the Mexican War.  During his first years
of service he was a member of the First Battalion, Texas Cavalry, and it
was during his third year that he participated in the storming of the
city of Monterey and the taking of Buena Vista.  In the earlier part of
his service he was under the command of Gen. Sam Houston, but later he
served under Gen. Zachary Taylor.  He continued in the service until the
close of the war, escaping with but a flesh wound.
   In 1851 Mr. Holloway came to Allen County, and settled in the woods,
in true pioneer style.  In order to reach the Spencerville road he was
obliged to cut the forest trees, making a path 40 feet wide which
reached from the canal, and which is now known as the Spencerville and
Dayton turnpike road.  In those early years in Spencer township, he was
kept busy clearing off the timber.  In those days he split rails to the
number of unknown thousands.  His first home was a cabin of round logs
which sufficed until a better one, of hewed logs, could be erected to
take its place; in this second cabin his son, John W., was born, in
1861.
   When this son was five weeks old Mr. Holloway once more offered his
loyal services to his country in her hour of need.  He enlisted at
Spencerville, in Company I, Fourth Reg., Ohio Vol. Cav., under Colonel
Kenneth and Capt. Henry Rogers, which regiment was attached to the
Second Army Corps and ordered to Cincinnati.  From that distributing
point his regiment was sent with others to the various points of danger,
and he served faithfully until he was discharged at Baltimore, Maryland,
in 1865, without having received any serious injuries.  His military
service covered many years and he was personal concerned in some of the
most important events in the history of our country.  He now draws a
pension of $18 per month.  After the close of the war, he again returned
to peaceful pursuits and has lived quietly as an agriculturist ever
since.  His well-improved farm of 40 acres is situated in Spencer
township, and in addition to this property he owns considerable realty
in Spencerville.
   On July 2, 1848, Mr. Holloway was married at Mount Vernon, Knox
County, Ohio, to Tillethia Ann Doty, who was born in Knox County, May 1,
1830, and is a daughter of Samuel B. and Margaret (Crider) Doty, who
reared a family of five sons and five daughters.  Mrs. Holloway and two
sisters still survive, these being : Mrs. Sarah Burk, of Delphos, Ohio,
and Mrs. Catherine Elizabeth Bott, of Iowa.
     Mr. and Mrs. Holloway have has six children, as follows: Pheobe
Ellen, born September 9, 1849, who died in August, 1862; Margaret Ann,
born August 11, 1851, who was married March 21, 1873, to Amos Lee, and
died May 25, 1874, leaving one son, William Lawrence, of Spencer
township; Rachel Maria, born February 25, 1854, who died in August,
1863; Sarah C., born February 20, 1856, who was married May 3, 1878, to
William Geething, and died January 26, 1879; Samuel B., born February
26, 1859, who was married on July 3, 1881, to Hannah Chambers, and died
October 31, 1891, leaving two daughters Florence and Ada, both of whom
are married and live in Kansas; and John W., born in 1861, who is now a
prominent farmer located in section 24, Spencer township.
   For many years after Mr. and Mrs. Holloway settled in Spencer
township, pioneer conditions prevailed.  The clearing of the land and
its subsequent cultivations was not the only hardship.  It was a long
distance to mill, the old post mill on the Auglaize River being the
nearest one available, and the country was still so densely wooded and
little settled that danger from the wild animals of the woods was by no
means past.  On one occasion Mrs. Holloway, while out from home on some
necessary business, accompanied by her dog, treed a bear.  Although she
had had many experiences it is doubtful it she had previously had a
similar one,  Fortunately she was able to call to her assistance a
neighbor, Jacob Bennett, who was an old hunter, and he killed the animal
before it could do any damage.  Mrs. Holloway is one of the old pioneer
members of the Christian Church in Spencer township.  She was reared a
Baptist, but united with the Christian Church at Mount Vernon and she is
respectfully and affectionately known as the "Mother of the West Union
Christian Church.
    Mr. Holloway has also been a member of the Wet Union Christian
Church from its very organization, and he ahs been liberal in its
support.  With Daniel Richardson he purchased an acre of ground and laid
out the cemetery and assisted in the erection of the church edifice.  In
like manner Mr. Holloway has continually given support to the
advancement of the schools in the township, has helped in the building
of the good roads and has lent his influence in the direction of
everything which has promised to be of substantial benefit to his part
of his county.  In the  public affairs of Spencer township, Mr. Holloway
has always been a prominent factor and he has served at various times in
all but two of the township offices.  He is a valued member fo th
Spencerville post of the Grand Army of the Republic.  Few if any
residents of Spencer township are better or more favorably known than
Mr. and Mrs. Holloway.