F. W. OEN
F. W. OEN, a representative business man of Lima, a
dealer in staple and fancy groceries and meats, at No 1114 West North
street, was born in Shawnee township, Allen County, Ohio, August 7,
1866, and is a son of Henry Oen, an early settler and leading farmer of
Shawnee township, who died December 3, 1903.
F. W. Oen was reared and educated in Shawnee township, where he
followed farming and dairying for four years and then bought a farm in
Auglaize County, which he later leased for oil purposes. For a short
period he was engaged in the oil business, having leased his
brother-in-law's farm. He put down one well, which was an excellent
producer, and he soon sold the property for $11,000. He was also
fortunate in his business arrangements concerning his farm of 80 acres,
selling his royalty for $18,000, and later disposing of the land. He
then bought some choice property in Lima, erecting several fine
residences, on the corner of Jameson and North streets, and the business
block which he occupies. His present realty holdings include four fine
residence properties and three vacant lots. he also owns farming lands,
having purchased an unimproved tract of 118 acres in German township.
On this he was erected excellent buildings, put up fencing and set out
orchards, until the land, within a few years, has advanced to $100 an
In 1892 Mr. Oen was married to Ellen Jordan who is a daughter of the
late Daniel Jordan, formerly a prosperous farmer of Shawnee township.
Mr. and Mrs. Oen have five children, viz: H. Edward, Frances Puline,
Catharine Ellen, Francis Frederick and James Alfred. Mr. and Mrs. Oen
are members of St. Rose Catholic Church. Their portraits executed from
a recent photograph, accompany this sketch.
LOUIS KOCH, vice-president of the Citizens' Loan &
Building Company, of Lima, and one of the city's retired citizens, was
born in 1851 in Germany, and came to America in 1864 with his sister
Emma, who was two years his senior. She later became the wife of
William Seitz, of Perry township.
These two children arrived safely at Lima, and Louis soon entered
into an apprenticeship to the cabinet-maker's trade, in which he served
three years, at first with A. Saider and later with Philip Keil. He
subsequently worked in the furniture factory on West Spring street for
15 years, making altogether about 28 years at his trade. Mr. Koch then
engaged in the grocery business for 10 years at No. 337 North Main
street. For the past four years his time has been taken up largely in
looking after his various real estate investments. He owns considerable
vacant property in Lima and five houses in good residential districts.
For many years he has been prominent in the various departments of the
city which have served to bring about its present prosperity.
When the first volunteer fire company was formed here, in the days of
he old hand engines, Mr. Koch became a member. Later the city sold the
outfit, and a hook and ladder company was formed and the volunteers gave
their services for a number of years and also paid for the outfit.
Until this company was disbanded, Mr. Koch frequently served as its
president and was always noted for the discipline he maintained in order
to make the department as efficient as possible. Mr. Koch served two
terms in the City Council, representing the old Seventh Ward, and under
Mayor Robb he served for a term of four years as a member of the Board
of Sinking Fund Trustees and Tax Commissioners. He has long been
recognized as one of the city's reliable, efficient and conservative men
of capital, and for the past six years he has been a member of the board
of directors of the Citizens' Loan & Building Company, and for one year
has been vice-president. Mr. Koch served during 1900 on the Board of
In 1871 Mr. Koch was married to Louisa Secrest, who died in 1876,
leaving two children, viz: W. I., who is employed in the grocery of
Harry Thomas, at Lima; and Mollie, who is the wife of Frank Grau, of St.
Marys, Ohio. In 1879 Mr. Koch was marred to Maggie Naas, who is a
daughter of Christian Naas. They are valued members of the German
Mr. Koch is a member of the Independent Oder of Odd Fellows, having
membership in both the subordinate lodge and encapment, and also in the
Rebekahs; German order of Red Men and to the Orion Maennerchor.
S. S. SHERRICK
S. S. SHERRICK, of the firm of Smith & Sherrick,
general contractors of Lima, was born in Allen County in 1849. His
father was Christian Sherrick, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to
this county about 1840, and was a well-known contractor and builder.
Many of the buildings now standing bear strong evidence to his skill and
the durability of his work.
S. S. Sherrick learned the carpenter's trade, beginning his
apprenticeship at the age of 16. He became a skilled and competent
workman. About 1877 he and a brother, in partnership, began contracting
and building and did a very successful business for eight years. Our
subject then withdrew from this partnership and engaged in contracting
in Delphos until 1897 when he moved to Lima and formed a partnership
with F. C. Smith to do general contracting and building, and also for
the manufacture of sash, doors and all kinds of mill-work. They have
built up a good business in both branches of work and during the busy
season give employment to about 25 men. Mr. Sherrick is also a
stockholder in The East Iron & Machine Company.
He was married in 1875 to Paulina John, daughter of Jesse J. John,
deceased. They have three children, namely: Lulu, wife of C. W.
Couseller, a locomotive engineer of Lima; and Effa and Vera, both of
whom are teachers in the Lima public Schools. The family are members of
the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, in which Mr. Sherrick is an
officer. He is a Republican who takes an intelligent interest in local
politics and is chairman of the county and city central committee. he
is a prominent Odd Fellow.
W. F. ROBINSON
W. F. ROBINSON, chief engineer of the gauging
department of The Buckeye Pipe Line Company, has been located at Lima
for the past 14 years, and has been identified with the oil industry
since boyhood. He was born in 1860 in Brooklyn, New York, and is a son
of James Robinson now deceased. James Robinson was also interested in
oil production, having started in at old Oil Creek when the oil industry
was in its infancy. When the various pipe lines were consolidated, in
April, 1877, he was made chief engineer of the tank gauging department,
a position he held until his death in 1898.
The Robinson family left Brooklyn in 1862 and located in the oil
field of Pennsylvania, their first residence being at Petroleum Center.
From there, in 1873, they moved to St. Petersburg, Clarion County, and
six years later our subject was made his father's assistant in the
business and stationed at Bradford, Pennsylvania. he remained there 12
years, when he was sent to take charge of the office at Lima, and upon
the death of his father in 1898 he was promoted to the office of chief
engineer. His territory embraces all the oil fields of Pennsylvania,
Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Kansas and Indian Territory, with offices
at Bradford, Pennsylvania, Lima and Independence, Kansas.
Mr. Robinson was married in 1884 to Mary E. Conneely, a native of
Pennsylvania. They have tow daughters Genevieve and Frances, the former
being a graduate and the latter a student of the Lima High School.
J. L. SIMPSON
J. L. SIMPSON, secretary and treasurer of The East
Iron & Machine Company, of Lima, was born in Logan County, Ohio, in
1860, and is a son of Wilson E. Simpson, of that county, who was a
member of the 66th Ohio Regiment and died in the Civil War, in 1862,
from disease contracted in the service.
J. L. Simpson was reared and educated in Logan County, and, with
maturity, obtained a position with the "Big Four" railroad. He was
employed in various capacities for a period of 12 years, when he became
bookkeeper and estimator for the Champion Iron Company, of Canton, Ohio.
He served in this capacity for about eight years and was then elected
secretary, holding that office four years and six months. When he
severed his connection with that company, he organized the Columbus
Elevator & Iron Company, which was incorporated in 1902 with a capital
stock of $10,000. They began operations, in May of that year, with the
following officers: H. W. V. Moler, president; F. S. Bartlett,
vice-president; and J. L. Simpson, secretary, treasurer and general
manager. The company was merged into The East Iron & Machine Company
and incorporated, in March, 1903, with a capital stock of $100,000, the
officers being: W. S. East, president; A. L. Neuman, vice-president; and
J. L. Simpson, secretary and treasurer. In March, 1903, Mr. Simpson
moved to Lima to assume the duties of his office, and has made many
friends during his short residence here. He is a business man of
Experience and ability, and devotes his entire time to the work of his
office, which is conducted in the most systematic and effective manner.
In 1885 Mr. Simpson was married to Eva Spencer by whom he has two
bright children Hugh L. and Boyd M., both students of the Lima High
School. Mrs. Simpson's father was the late W. Spencer, on e the
foremost agriculturists of Logan County, who died in May, 1905. Mr.
Simpson is an Odd Fellow and is also a prominent Mason, being a member
of the Knights Templar. He is affiliated with the Disciples' Church of
GEORGE DYER, superintendent of the Sandusky Division
of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad and of the Northern Ohio Railway, is
an experienced and popular railroad man, who has been a resident of Lima
since October, 1902. He was born at Bainbridge, Putnam County, Indiana,
in 1867, and is a son of George W. Dyer.
George W. Dyer, father of our subject, is also a railroad man. He
is a native of Bainbridge, but for 54 years he has been railroad agent
at Monroe, for the C., I. & L. Railway.
The subject of this sketch was reared at Bainbridge and attended
school until he was 11 years of age, when he commenced to learn
telegraphy, soon acquiring sufficient knowledge of the business to
secure a position with the Western Union Telegraph Company. He was only
14 years old when he was a press operator, and continued with the
Western Union until he was 20 years of age. He then became train
dispatcher for the Wisconsin Central Railway and in this capacity
resided for two years at S. Paul, Minnesota, going thence to Monroe,
Indiana, and for one year holding a similar position with the C., I. &
L. Railway. During the succeeding two years he was also superintendent
of the telegraph department at that point. For 16 months Mr. Dyer was
stationed as chief train dispatcher at LaFayette, Indiana, being then
transferred to Tipton, Indiana, where he was appointed general
Mr. Dyer continued in the latter position until the outbreak of the
Spanish-American War, when he entered the army as captain of Company I,
16th Indiana Infantry, U. S. Volunteers. The services of this company
were not required outside of the United States, although it was drilled
in several camps. The company was honorably mustered out in May, 1899.
Upon his return to Monroe, Mr. Dyer resumed railroad work and was made
superintendent of the Fort Wayne Division of the Lake Erie & Western
Railroad, with headquarters at Muncie, Indiana, where he remained until
his promotion to his present position as superintendent at Lima of the
Sandusky Division of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad and of the
Northern Ohio Railway. In addition, Mr. Dyer is treasurer of the
Bluffton Stone Company, of Bluffton.
In 1893 Mr. Dyer was married to Anna Culler, who is a daughter of
George W Culler, a well-known resident of Delphi, Indiana. They have
three sons Laurel, Wayne and an infant.
While not taking part in politics beyond fulfilling the duties of a
good citizen, Mr. Dyer keeps thoroughly informed on all matters of
public importance and of local concern, and lends his influence to good
civic government. He votes with the Republican party. he is a 32nd
degree Mason and is connected also with the Knights of Pythias and the
Improved Order of Red Men.
E. A. DEAN
E. A. DEAN, secretary and treasurer of The Sinclair &
Morrison Company, of Lima, has been a resident of this city for the past
21 years. He was born at Stockport, England, December 1, 1853, and is a
son of Thomas and Rebecca (Unsworth) Dean.
The parents of Mr. Dean were also natives of Stockport, and they came
to America when our subject was four years of age, locating at Allegheny
E. A. Dean was educated in the public school at Allegheny City and
Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, being graduated from
the latter institution in 1875. He then accepted a position as
bookkeeper at Port Jervis, New York, where he remained some eight years
and then embarked in the mercantile business at Washington, D. C.
After spending two years in the national capital, he came to Lima in
1884, and for six years was engaged in the dry goods business on the
South Side. He then accepted the position of Secretary and treasurer of
The Sinclair & Morrison Company. He is also connected with a number of
the other successful business organizations of this section, in all of
which he takes an active interest.
In December, 1876, Mr. Dean was married to Mary Pomeroy, who is a
daughter of George Pomeroy, of Butler, Pennsylvania. They have a family
of three sons and two daughters, viz: Howard P., a teller employed by
The Lima Trust Company; Walter O., a student in the electric engineering
department of the State University at Columbus; Chester E., a student at
Lima College; Doris W. And Edna G.
Mr. Dean is an independent voter, but has been very active in the
cause of Prohibition, and has been the candidate of the party for mayor
of Lima. He is a prominent man of affairs here, and is a member of the
Board of Sinking Fund Trustees and Tax Commissioners.