THOMPSON R. TERWILLEGER
THOMPSON R. TERWILLEGER, M. D., one of the leading
physicians and surgeons of Lima, and one of the city's much esteemed
citizens, whose portrait is shown on the opposite page, was born at New
Richmond, Ohio, June 29, 1860, and is one of a family of two children
born to his parents, John and Elizabeth B. (McDonald) Terwilleger.
Thompson R. Terwilleger was reared on his father's farm in Clermont
County where he attended the local schools, subsequently entering the
Ohio Western University where he was gradated in 1884 with the degree of
B. S. He then took up the study of medicine and in 1887 was graduated
at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. In the same year he settled
at Lima where he has continued to practice ever since and is an
important member of an unusually able staff of physicians and surgeons.
He is a member of the Ohio State and Allen County medical societies and
of the Northwestern Ohio and American medical associations, being
actively interested in their work and a valued contributor to their
literature. For 13 years Dr. Terwilleger was physician of the Allen
County Infirmary. He is a member of the staff of the Lima Hospital,
being honored with a life membership. He is medical examiner of a large
number of life insurance companies, among which are the following:
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, of Hartford; Union Central Life
Insurance Company, of Cincinnati; Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company,
of California; Security Trust & Life Insurance Company, of Philadelphia;
Federal Life Insurance Company, of Chicago; and Bankers' Life
Association, of Des Moines, Iowa; also the Cleveland and Dayton Masonic
Life Insurance companies.
Dr. Terwilleger was united in marriage with Lizzie F. Davis, who is
a daughter of William Davis, of Columbus, Ohio. Dr. and Mrs.
Terwilleger are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have a
very pleasant home at No. 684 West Market Street, while the Doctor has
well-appointed offices at Nos. 202- 203 Masonic Building.
Politically Dr. Terwilleger is a Democrat. He served on the Board of
Education and was instrumental in lending his efforts toward the
erection of the new High School Building. He is a man of education and
experience and his professional skill has been frequently put to the
test. He keeps thoroughly abreast of the times in his methods of
practice and his patients come from all parts of the city. For a number
of years he has been prominent in Masonic circles and has attained the
32nd degree. He belongs to the Mystic Shrine at Dayton and to the
Scottish Rite bodies at Toledo, He is a man of practical ideas and has
had remarkable success in his chosen profession.
JOHN R. JONES
JOHN R. JONES, who is living in retirement near
Gomer, this county, after many years of business activity, was born
August 21, 1835, in Llanbrynmair, Wales. He is a son of Richard and
Anna (Roberts) Jones, both natives of Llanbrynmair, where the father
became a prosperous farmer and lived until his death, at the age of 67
years. Mrs. Jones died when our subject was five years old, being then
in the 43rd year of her age.
At the age of 21 years, John R. Jones set sail for America, landing
in New York City, July 7, 1856, after a voyage of five weeks and three
days;. Remaining in that city but a few days, he made his way to
Cincinnati, Ohio, and thence to Allen County, where he remained a short
time. He then resided three years in Tennessee, superintending a tract
of land, which he and a party of his friends had previously bought.
They had purchased some 100,000 acres in that State, of which about
one-third, rich in oil and mineral deposits, remains in the possession
of Mr. Jones and a brother at the present time. At the end of three
years our subject returned to Gomer and purchased a general store of W.
W. Williams, which he conducted successfully for 20 years, when he sold
to Dr. C. A. Evans, of Delphos. Since that time Mr. Jones has resided
on a farm making his home with a cousin, William G. Jones, a prominent
farmer whose homestead is located near Gomer.
Mr. Jones has never married. He is well known throughout this
section, and has long been a member of the Welsh Congregational Church
at Gomer. In politics, he has been an ardent Democrat and has held some
minor offices, although he has never sought political preferment.
WALLACE LANDIS, secretary of the Lima Board of Fire
Underwriters Association, was born in Randolph County, Indiana, in 1862.
His father, James Landis, died during the infancy of our subject, and
the family lived for a short time in Dayton, Franklin and Napoleon,
Ohio, before finally locating at Delphos in 1880. It was in the latter
place that Mr. Landis received the major part of his education.
In young manhood, he became a fireman on the Dayton & Southeastern
Railway, serving in that capacity for one year before he returned to
Delphos and engaged in the hotel business. This was continued until
September, 1885, when he came to Lima to accept a position with the
Burnet Hotel, where he remained until 1896. He then severed his
connection with the Hotel and engaged in the fire insurance business, in
which he has been eminently successful. In 1902 he was appointed to his
present office as secretary of the Lima Board of Fire Underwriters'
Association. In 1897 Mr. Landis was married to Eva Martin, daughter of
John Martin, of Lima. Mr. Landis is identified with the Masonic order,
being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, of each of
which he is secretary. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias.
S. E. McCAULEY
S. E. McCAULEY, one of the successful merchants of
Lima, where he has conducted a grocery store for the past four years,
was born in Salem, Ohio, in 1856. He is a son of the late Joseph
McCauley, who was an influential resident of Lima, engaged in the
milling business. About 40 years ago the family settled in Lima, in
whose schools our subject obtained his education.
Mr. McCauley secured his first employment with The Moore Brother
Company, wholesale and retail grocers, and remained with them for about
four years, when he accepted a position as bookkeeper with H. & J.
Langan. Two years later he began firing on the "Big Four" Railroad, and
it was not until six years later that he abandoned that work and
returned to Lima to resume commercial life. Entering the store of
Cooper & Thomas, he remained with them until they sold the business Mr.
Watson, when he entered the employ of that gentleman and continued with
him for about 15 years. In May, 1901, he established his first business
enterprise at his present location, No. 520 Jackson street, and has
conducted the enterprise there since, carrying a complete and attractive
stock of fancy and staple groceries and numbering among his patrons many
of the first families of Lima.
In 1886 Mr. McCauley was married to Mary Weisner, a daughter of the
late Christopher Weisner. They have three children Rhea, Clara and
Georgiana. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. McCauley has served in the City Council of Lima for two years, and
is a prominent Knight of Pythias.
F. W. DRAKE
F. W. DRAKE, a prominent merchant of Lima, engaged
in the feed and fuel lines, was born at Boston, Massachusetts, from
which city his parents migrated to Illinois when he was about three
After securing an excellent education, Mr. Drake returned to
Massachusetts, entered the employ of the Boston & Providence Railroad,
remained with that corporation for two years and then purchased a fruit
farm in the vicinity of St. Joseph, Michigan. He continued in the
fruit-raising business for some three years, and then became interested
in Kansas live-stock. He remained at Emporia, Kansas, for some 14
years, becoming a leading citizen and member of the City Council. During
this period he was largely interested buying raising and selling fine
horses. Those informed on such matters will remember when "British
Splendor" was regarded as the finest coach horse in America; this noble
animal was the property of Mr. Drake.
From Kansas Mr. Drake removed to Chicago and for three years was
located at the Stock Yards engaged in buying and selling horses. In
1895 he settled at Lima, being connected with the Standard Oil
interests, but in 1902 he discontinued this association and established
a coal, coke and general feed business. In this he still continues,
being one of the leading dealers of these commodities in Lima.
In 1876 Mr. Drake was married to Ella Merwin, of St. Joseph,
Michigan. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In
political sentiment he is a stanch Republican.
C. E. LOSEE
C. E. LOSEE, one of Lima's well- known, substantial
and representative citizen, who is identified with a number of local
enterprises, has been a capable locomotive engineer for the past 29
years, since 1881 having had the passenger run between Lima and Tipton,
Indiana. Mr. Losee was born at Saratoga Springs, New York, April 18,
1851, and is a son of Thomas V. Losee.
Thomas V. Losee has also been a railroad man nearly all his life,
but now lives in retirement at Lima, aged 80 years. He was a master
mechanic in the Pennsylvania Railroad shops at Indianapolis for a number
of years, for three years was a master mechanic with the Indianapolis
Bloomington & Western Railroad, and for nine years general foreman of
the shops of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad at Lima. He married Helen
L. Lyons and they had four children, the two survivors being ; C E., of
this sketch, and Mary, wife of Charles Wolf, of Lima.
When C. E. Losee was two years of age, his parents located at
Dayton, Ohio, moving two years later to Indianapolis, where he lived
until he was 20 years old. From the age of 15 years he has been engaged
in railroad work, beginning as a fireman on an engine of the present
Pennsylvania system and working in this capacity for three years. He
was then employed in the office of the road for two years, when he
became an engineer on what is now the " Big Four" Railroad, running an
engine from March, 1872, until March, 1880. Later he became connected
with the Lake Erie & Western road, and then located at Lima, which has
since been his place of residence.
In October, 1883, Mr. Losee was married to Bertha Romer, a daughter
of the late Joseph Romer, who was born in Germany and came to Lima, in
1866, where he worked at his trade of shoemaker. Four of his nine
children still survive, namely: Anna, wife of Henry Frueh, of the Lima
Brewery; Emma, wife of J. L. O'Connor, of Lima; W. J., a merchant
tailor, of St. Louis, Missouri; and Mrs. Losee. Mr. and Mrs. Losee
have two children, Florence and Marie, the former at home , the latter
attending school in Toledo. Mrs. Losee is a member of St. Rose Catholic
Fraternally Mr. Losee is a Knight Templar. He is interested in a
number of successful business enterprises of the city, being on the
board of directors of The Metropolitan Bank of Lima and The Crystal Ice
& Coal Company, and is a stockholder in the home telephone company.
HON. CALVIN S. BRICE
HON. CALVIN S. BRICE. One of the leading promoters
of our earlier railroads was the late Calvin Stewart Brice, who for many
years was identified with Lima's growth and interests, maintaining a
home and legal residence in Lima until his death. For many years Mr.
Brice was prominent in the nation as a lawyer, railroad manager and
political leader. He was born at Denmark, Ohio, on September 17, 1845.
His father, William Kirkpatrick Brice, was a Presbyterian minister, and
his mother was a woman of much intellectual force and charm of
character. The family removed in 1848 to Columbus Grove in Putnam
County, Ohio, and there Calvin spent his boyhood to the age of 13 under
the home care of his mother and the scholarly instruction of his father.
He then entered the preparatory academy of Miami University at Oxford,
Ohio. His studies were interrupted in 1861 by the Civil War, when he
enlisted in Captain Dodd's university company, and was stationed at Camp
Jackson at the State capital. In the fall he returned to college only
to enlist again the next year in what later became Company A, 86th Ohio
Volunteer Infantry, of which Prof. R. W. McFarland, of Miami University,
one of the most noted mathematicians in the United States was captain.
He spent the summer of 1862 campaigning in West Virginia and then
returned to Miami to be graduated in June, 1863. He then came to Lima,
Ohio, taught for some months in the public schools and was employed in
the auditor's office of Allen County. In July, 1864, he again returned
to the war at the head of a company recruited by himself with a
commission as captain of Company E, 180th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He
served in Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas until the end
of the war, and for meritorious service was appointed lieutenant
colonel, but was not mustered in. In the fall of 1865 Mr. Brice went to
Ann Arbor, where he attended lecturers in the law school of the
University of Michigan. The next year he was admitted to practice at
the bar and in the United States courts forming at once a partnership
with James Irvine at Lima, Ohio, and for a dozen years pursued his
profession here with success. His high character, ability and devotion
to the interests of his clients made him deservedly one of the foremost
lawyers in the State
Meanwhile he became intensely interested in railroad affairs and at
last transferred his activities from his profession to that important
business. His first railroad connection was with the legal department
of the old Lake Erie & Louisville road. He became a stockholder in that
road (now known as the Lake Erie & Western) and played a leading part in
its development, next undertaking the great " Nickel Plate" enterprise,
which he carried through successfully. This made him a man of wealth
and a figure of national importance and interest. He was thereafter
prominently connected with numerous other railroads and was for years
one of the most active and efficient factors in the railroad development
of the Southern States.
The vast railroad interests of Mr. Brice did not prevent him from
entering other fields of investment and development, or from the
enjoyment of social relations. At Lima, he organized and managed the
gas light company; re-organized and assumed a controlling interest in
the First National Bank of Lima, which institution has ever since ranked
as one of the most substantial in Ohio. Mr. Brice was also identified
with the Chase National Bank of New York, and a leading spirit and
director of the Southern Trust Company.
His scholarship and interest in education made him a trustee of his
alma mater, Miami University, and his generosity, coupled with his love
for that grand old school, caused him to contribute largely to its
needs, and "Brice Hall," named in his honor, arose upon the beautiful
campus of the university. He was vice- president of the Ohio Society in
New York, and of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, of which
Greek-letter society he remained an honored member till his death. He
was also an active member of the Manhattan, Lotos, Athletic, and other
leading clubs of New York City.
During Li Hung Chang's visit to the United States he spent his time
asking questions all kinds of questions. He found in Calvin S. Brice a
man who could answer a larger percentage of his questions than anybody
else. In fact, Senator Brice was probably the best informed man, not
only in a general way, but as to particular localities, of any man in
the country. Even places that he had never visited he had informed
himself about. Li Hung Chang took a great fancy to Senator Brice and
sought his company on every possible occasion. Being impressed with the
railroad development of this country, he sought to interest Senator
Brice and did so, the result being that the Senator started out to
organize a syndicate to be composed of 50 persons, each of whom should
subscribe $5,000 for the purposes of a preliminary survey for a railroad
in China. The Senator did not crowd the subscription question nor did
he allot places in the syndicate until after many times the number of
men to form the syndicate had indicated a desire to join. It probably
represented the most wealth of any syndicate that was ever organized in
this or any other country, embracing a number of London and Paris
bankers as well as the leading financial interests of this country. In
a word, it was a syndicate exactly to his liking and choosing. Its
formation gave him as great pleasure as any one thing of the later years
of his life and its prompt carrying into completion was prevented first
by the death of Senator Brice and later by the death of Li Hung Chang.
In the proposition he had Li Hung Chang's endorsement and hearty
support and had both lived there would have been no halting in the early
completion of this great enterprise in China. At the time of his death
he had quite fully matured plans for a seaboard out-let for the Lake
Erie & Western Railroad, diverging at Bluffton over the Northern Ohio,
via Akron and Youngstown to the East.
Mr. Brice as an earnest Democrat in Politics and for many years was
conspicuous and influential in the councils of his party. In 1888 he
was a delegate at large from Ohio to the Democratic National Convention
and as chairman of the campaign committee conducted the campaign of that
year and in 1889 was elected chairman of the Democratic National
Committee. His prominence in politics made Mr. Brice the logical choice
of his party and he was elected United States Senator from Ohio for the
term 1891-97. In that office he exerted exceptional influence among his
associates. He served on important committees, and was a member of the
"steering committee" of his party in the Senate. His business
experience, penetrating quality of mind and cautious and conservative
though optimistic temperament make his judgment highly prized and his
Mr. Brice was married in 1869 to Catherine Olivia Meily, a woman of
fine intellectual gifts and much charm in social leadership. He died at
New York on December 15, 1898, leaving five children three sons and two
Mr. Brice commenced life a poor boy, with only a sound constitution,
and active,, incisive mind, and genuine brand of American grit. He knew
the value of an education, and he obtained it . He was not an orator,
but no man ever put more common sense or business energy in a
five-minute talk; and in 30 minutes at a meeting of railroad directors
he would transact business involving the expenditure of millions. He
never failed to answer a letter and to answer it promptly punctuality
and directness were rules of his life. When the writer, of this sketch
once asked him to aid a young man in the South who was struggling to a
legal competency, but one question was asked, " Is he honest?". Upon
receiving a strong affirmative answer, Mr. Brice turned to his
stenographer, and in one sentence directed work for the young man which
gave him a legal prominence which he enjoys to-day.
Mr. Brice never forgot a friend, and in this may be seen the main
element of his success. He had no tie or desire to punish an enemy, if
he had one. When urged not to recognize a man who had vigorously
opposed him in a political convention, Mr. Brice replied, "Life is too
short," and the gentleman was accorded the same courtesy as any other
man in the convention. He had the power of self-control to a remarkable
degree, and when he turned from his office to his home, or his friends,
business care was put aside, and there environed by the love of family,
in his palatial home, he was delighted by the grace of culture, and the
beauty of art, and there his friends were also welcome. Well may the
language of Anthony applied to the noble Brutus, be applied to Him:
His life was gentle; and the elements so mixed in him, that Nature
might stand up and say to all the world, "This was a man!"