Page 673-674 of History of Allen County, Ohio and Representative Citizens by Charles C. Miller
Henry Miller is a prosperous farmer of Allen County, residing in section 7, Monroe township, where he owns a fine farm of 180 acres. He was born in Hessen-Darmstadt, German, April 29, 1841, and is one of six sons born to Michael and Katherine (Kunkelman) Miller. His parents came with their children to this country in 1849, landing in New York in August of that year and going at once to Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, where they lived for about three years in the vicinity of McKeesport. Early in the spring of 1852, they started for Allen County, floating down the river to Cincinnati, thence up to their destination in a canoe, arriving here in April. They settled on the farm adjoining that on which our subject now resides and bent every energy to make a home for themselves and their children. That Michael Miller was successful in this struggle to secure a competency is shown by the fact that he had acquired 200 acres of land at the time of this death. He was 73 years of age and his wife was 80 when the summons came to them. They had these children: John; Christian; Daniel, who died in infancy and was buried in the fatherland; Leonard, who was killed in a coal mine in Pennsylvania; Henry; and Adam- all are deceased except the subject of this sketch.
Henry Miller was married on November 14, 1864, to Mary Sauer, a native of Prussia, who was born January 21, 1846, and when a child of nine years came to America with her parents, Francis and Katherine (Harmon) Sauer. To this union 14 children have been born, viz: Margaret M., wife of William L. Hofferbert, of Monroe township; John F., of Putnam County; Emma L., wife of P. J. Altstaetter, of Monroe township; Anna Katherine, wife of Jacob P. Miller, of Lima; Alice M., wife of Anthony Geib, of Lima; Sarah A., wife of Charles Irwin, of Putnam County; Caroline R., wife of James Irwin, of Putnam County; Bertha A., living at home; William H., who resides on his mother's farm; Harmon M., who has but recently been married; Louis P., Clara Isabel, wife of Frank Slusser, of Sugar Creek township; Grace N.; and Arthur M.
Henry Miller left his parents' home when he was married and moved to a rented farm. He rented for a number of years before he purchased a small tract in section 7 and moved onto it about 35 years ago. He added to this land later and now owns 180 acres, whi he devotes to general farming and stock-raising. In addition to this, his wife owns 60 acres in section 10, which is cultivated by their son, William H. Miller. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Miller is a Democrat and has held a number of offices, such as school director, road supervisor, etc., and has always been loyal to the trusts reposed in him