J. N. Fletcher


J. N. Fletcher, the genial proprietor of one of the
most complete and up-to-date harness and saddle shops in Lima, was born
in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1860 and is a son of John Fletcher, who was a
harness- maker and conducted a shop in Dalton, Wayne County, for more
than 40 years.  Our subject was born and reared in Dalton and learned
his trade in his father's shop. When about 20 years old he struck out
for himself by opening a harness shop in West Salem, Wayne County.  He
was reasonably successful and remained there 10 years;  but seeing the
advisability of locating in a wide-awake, flourishing city, he removed
in 1890 to Lima where he has since been engaged in the same line of
business, and enjoys a fine trade and the confidence and good will of
his patrons and neighbors.
    Mr. Fletcher was married in 1880 to Miss Luginbuhl, daughter of John
L. Luginbuhl, a prosperous farmer of Wayne County.  Five children have
been born to them, viz: Howard, who is bookkeeper for the Lima Electric
Light Company; Clair, a student in the Lima High School; Ethel; Hazel
and Madge.  The family are adherents of the Epworth Methodist Episcopal
Church, of which Mr. Fletcher is a trustee.  He is a modern Woodman of
America and an Odd Fellow, being a member of both lodge and encampment
in the latter order.  Mr. Fletcher is now serving his third year in the
City Council of Lima, having been elected to the office by a flattering
majority, the largest given to any man on the ticket.  He takes a  deep
interest in all that pertains to the welfare of the city. His home is
situated at No. 415 South Cole street.    

 

Miner C. Crossley


Miner C. Crossley, one of Lima's leading citizens,
extensively engaged in the buying and shipping of stock and a large
owner of valuable real estate, is a native of Allen County, where he was
born in 1857, in Perry township.  He is a son of Ross and Phoebe (Apple)
Crossley.
   The father of Mr. Crossley was born in Lebanon County, Ohio, and came
to Perry township, Allen County, Ohio, in 1832, with his parents who
were among the pioneer families.  At that time the present prosperous
city  of Lima, with its population of about 22, 000, had but five
houses.  He was a brick manufacturer and made the first brick ever used
in house to construction in the city.  About 1890 he moved to Lima and
built a fine brick structure on South Main street, 50 by 70 feet in
dimensions.  He also owned a handsome home on the corner of West Market
and Baxter streets, where he died in 1899.  he married Phoebe Apple,
whose death preceded his own.  Their children were: Henry, deceased;
Isaiah, of Paulding County, Ohio; Cloyd, of Montana; Miner C., of this
sketch; Elmer, deceased; Eddie, of Lima; Lavina, wife of Robert Hill, of
Lima; Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Tapscott, of Perry township; and Viola
and Araminta, both residents of Lima.
      Mr. Crossley was a lifelong Democrat, but had many interests
outside politics.  He owned a great deal of real estate in this locality
and in many ways was one of the city's most representative citizens.
    Miner C. Crossley was reared and educated in Perry township and
engaged in farming and stock buying until 1889, when he came to Lima.
Here he was engaged in a meat business until 1902 and for some years was
largely interested in oil.  He has disposed of all of the latter
interests and is now engaged in extensive operations in the buying and
shipping of stock.  In 1892 he built the Crossley Block, a magnificent
two-story building at Nos. 713- 715- 717 South Main street, and he owns
other valuable property.
    In 1878 Mr. Crossley was married to Rachel V. Cochrun, who is a
daughter of J. C. Cochrun of German township, one of the first pioneers
of Allen County.  Mr. and Mrs. Crossley have one son, Clifford, who is
engaged in the cigar business at Lima.
    Politically, Mr. Crossley has always been identified with the
Democratic party and has been in close touch with party leaders for a
number of years.  In 1902 he was his party's choice for county
treasurer; he has served on the Democratic County Executive Committee
many times.

 

John Black

 

John Black, a retired master mechanic of Lima, is also
one of the city's old and honored citizens.  He was born in Scotland in
1848, and is a son of John Black, whose ancestors as far back as can be
traced were of Scotch birth and rearing.
    John Black, the father, emigrated to America in the early '50's and
commenced his business career as a locomotive builder in the Niles
Locomotive Works, at Cincinnati, Ohio.  There he continued until he
secured a position as an engineer on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad
being thus employed for several years and later being connected in the
same capacity with the C., H. & D. Railway, running between Cincinnati
and Richmond, Indiana.  He then became a master mechanic in the C., H. &
D. Railway shops, at Richmond, and when that road gained control of the
D. & M. Railroad, in 1863, he was appointed master mechanic of their
shops at Lima, and continued as such, and as general master mechanic,
for a period of 23 years.  His death took place in 1893.  During his
entire residence in Lima he had been a prominent and useful citizen,
serving frequently as a member of the City Council and supporting and
assisting in formulating ordinances for the general welfare.
Politically he was a Democrat.
    John Black, our immediate subject, was reared through youth in
Scotland, attending school and serving his apprenticeship to the
machinist's trade prior to coming to America in 1869.  He joined his
father in Lima, and immediately commenced work in the machine shops of
the C., H. & D. Railway, remaining there for a period of 20 years and
two months.  From the most subordinate position, through careful and
persistent work, he was promoted to be engineer, and foreman and
finally, in 1889, general foreman.  He then became connected with the
"Nickel Plate" Railroad as general foreman in their Chicago shops, where
he remained one year, after which he served for three years as master
mechanic of the Rock Island shops at Chicago.
    The death of his father at Lima recalled John Black to this city,
when he abandoned the railroad business altogether.  He had accumulated
property, both in Chicago and Lima, and has since devoted his time and
attention to his investments.  In 1900 he built the Black Block in Lima,
this being a fine four- story brick building of Bedford stone front,
with dimensions of 185 by 50 feet, and containing stores, offices and
apartments.  It is occupied by leading business men, and is the scene of
much of the city's commerce.  Mr. Black also built other fine buildings,
and owns valuable real estate in Chicago.  He is one of the stockholders
in The Ohio National Bank of this city.
   In 1876 Mr. Black was married to Kate Hardesty, who is a daughter of
the late Reuben Hardesty, one of the pioneers in the lumber trade of
Lima.  The four sons of the family are: William G., who is general
foreman of the "Nickel Plate" Railroad shops at Fort Wayne, Indiana;
John , a graduate of the University of Chicago, later serving two years
as a chemist with Parke Davis & Company, of Detroit, then a student in
mechanical chemistry at Cornell University, and at present assistant
professor in that department; Charles H., a graduate of the Englewood
High School, Chicago, served an apprenticeship in the C., H. & D. shops,
and is now a machinist at the Lima Locomotive & Machine Works; and
Robert C., a recent graduate of the Lima High School, who has entered
Purdue University to pursue a course in mechanical and electrical
engineering.  All of Mr. Black's sons are practical young men, who know
how to apply the education they have been given by an indulgent father
and reflect credit upon him and his generous thoughtfulness.       

 

Clark L. Hoyt

Clark L. Hoyt, of Myers & Hoyt, grocers of Lima, was
born in Hardin County, Ohio, in June, 1858.  He is a son of William
Hoyt, who came to Ohio in 1832 and located at Kenton, Hardin County,
where he engaged in farming until 1862, at which time he moved to Lima,
where he lived until his death, 12 years later.
    Clark L. Hoyt, since he was four years old, has always resided in
Lima.  After leaving school, he entered the shops of the C., H. & D.
Railway, and had been there two years when he went on the road as
fireman for the company.  Five years later he took charge of his first
engine, and for 21 years was one of the most trusted and esteemed
engineers on the road.  By this time he was tired of the work and
desired to engage in some business in which he might have regular hours
and more time with his family.  He therefore purchased an interest in a
grocery store in partnership with Mr. Myers, taking possession in June,
1904.  They have a nice, clean store and carry a full line of staple and
fancy groceries.  Mr. Hoyt is equally at home at the throttle of an
engine of behind the counters of his store, and is well pleased with the
change.
    He was married in 1888 to Nora V. Copeland by whom he has three
children Eldean, Lenore and Lucile.  The father of Mrs. Hoyt was Wllis
Copeland, who was for many years engaged in the dairy business in Lima,
and ran the first dairy wagon in the city.  He died in 1894.  Mr. Hoyt
is a prominent Mason, a Knight of Pythias and a member of the
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.  He is a Republican in politics,
and was at one time a member of the City Council of Lima.