S. K. KRAUSS
S. K. KRAUSS, one of the prominent citizens of Lima,
was born near Allentown, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, in 1839, and is a
son of Jacob Krauss, a native of Lehigh County and a lifelong resident there.
Although Mr. Krauss was best known to the citizens of Lima, for a number of years, as an artistic photographer, he had perfected himself
in other crafts prior to entering that field. After leaving school, when about 19 years of age, he learned the carpenter's trade and still
later, the machinist's trade at Philadelphia. With a desire to see something of the country and also as a business experiment, he then
built for himself a photographic car in which he traveled for about a year, pausing, wherever his fancy led him, to photograph people and
landscapes. After disposing of his car, he located in Philadelphia, studied the photographic art more thoroughly and then worked in this
line at Allentown and Pittsburg. Thence he removed to Wooster, Ohio, being for a short time connected with the Teeple Brothers,
photographers, after which he embarked in the business for himself. In association with William Plummer he opened a photograph gallery in
Wooster, and the business was conducted one year under the firm name of Krauss & Plummer, when Mr. Krauss sold his interest and went to South
Toledo. There he conducted a studio for seven months. In November, 1866, he bought a gallery at Lima which he operated alone for about 16
years, and then admitted R. H. Ebersole to partnership. This firm continued in business until 1902, and its fine work was thoroughly
appreciated all over the surrounding country.
The close confinement of the studio and contact with chemicals impaired the health of Mr. Krauss, and, disposing of his interests to
Mr. Ebersole, for some six months he enjoyed the relaxation of travel. He has very extensive property interests, and has dealt in both city and
county real estate for a number of years. About this time Mr. Krauss erected what is one of the finest and best located business blocks in
the city. It is a three-story and basement brick structure, 25 by 205 feet in dimensions, at No. 234 North Main Street, with offices and store
rooms below, and flats above.
Since retiring from his photographic enterprise Mr. Krauss has been handling, as a means of occupying his spare time, a very popular
surgical appliance known as the "Finger- Cushion Pad Truss," which has been the means of curing thousands of afflicted people. He feels that
he is doing a good work by calling the attention of the public to such an appliance. He is also largely interested in the various city
utilities, being a stockholder in The Lima Telephone & Telegraph Company. For some years he has been a valued member of the City Council.
In 1867 Mr. Krauss was married to Catherine E. Workman, of Wooster, Ohio, who was a daughter of Rev. Morgan Workman. She died in 1885, the
mother of one child who died in infancy. In 1889 Mr. Krauss was married (second) to Bertha Haines, who is a daughter of the venerable Jeremiah
Haines, who was one of the pioneer agriculturalists of German township he has now reached his 88th year and resides with Mr. Krauss. Mr. and
Mrs. Krauss are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow and a Knight of Pythias.
Note to KRAUSS Researchers: The following was provided by a Pat Hagans, a collector of photographs.
I collect early photographs from Wooster, OH and came across the bio for S. K. Krauss on your website. I can add a small amount of additional info to his bio. I have 2 Wooster CDV (carte de visite) photographs that show Krauss as the photographer. One is from Plumer and Krauss, N. E. Corner of the Public Square, Wooster. The photo is of a John S. Eberly and has a tax stamp on the back and is dated 3/17/65 (these stamps were only used from Sept. 1, 1864 to Aug. 1, 1866 when the government taxed photos sent through the mail). Also, notice that Plumer is spelled with '1 m' as compared to 2 in the biography. The second CDV is from Miller and Krauss at the same address as the first. It appears to be of similar vintage. This suggests that in addition to the Teeple Bros. and Plumer, he was also in business with a Miller.
MADISON EDGECOMB, a retired farmer of Beaver Dam, is one of
the substantial, influential men of the county and formerly lived on the
old Edgecomb homestead in Richland township. He owns the adjoining farm
of 120 acres in section 31. Mr. Edgecomb was born in Bath township,
Allen County, Ohio, June 9, 1850, and is a son of Marquis and Hannah
(Everett) Edgecomb. His paternal grandparents were Uriah and Elizabeth
(Doud) Edgecomb, both of whom were of English descent. Lord William
Henry Edgecomb, of England, is a relative of our subject and his
photograph is among the family pictures which adorn the Edgecomb home.
The name was originally spelled "Edgcumbe."
Marquis Edgecomb was born December 11, 1826, in Trumbull County,
Ohio, and was a lad of five years when his parents settled in Bath
township, this county. He was one of 13 children, 12 of whom grew to
maturity. By occupation he was a farmer, though he also ran a hotel at
Beaver Dam for about five years. He was a member of the Home Guards
during the Civil War and was at all times a patriotic citizen. His wife,
Hannah Everett, was a daughter of Jacob and Betsey (Bush) Everett, and
was born November 9, 1826, near Solon, New York. Her parents came to
this county when she was a girl of 12 years and she has been a resident
here ever since. She has made her home with our subject since the death
of her husband on May 20, 1901. The children born to this worthy couple
were as follows: Sarah Ann, who died in infancy; Madison; Margaret Ann
(Phillips), deceased; Elisha, who died in his 21s year; Betsey M.,
deceased, who married P. R. Bailey; Sarah Priscilla, who died at the age
of five years; George Washington, of Lima; and William, born December
25, 1874, who resides on the homestead at Beaver Dam.
Madison Edgecomb resided continuously on the same farm from 1857 to
1891. In addition to general farming, he has engaged in the production
of oil, having none wells on his land, which yield a handsome income.
In 1900 he bought his present residence in Beaver Dam a cozy, pleasant
home and the most attractive in the village. Mr. Edgecomb was at one
time interested in a flouring mill which he with others, operated for
three or four years in Beaver Dam. He has been twice married; first, on
December 19, 1872, to Philena M. Barnhard, who was born in Knox County,
Ohio, February 24, 1855, and died February 8, 1882. There were two
children by this union, both of whom, Orrin and Virgil, are deceased.
On June 5, 1884, Mr. Edgecomb married his present wife, Mrs. Mollie
(Frisbie) Fee, widow of the late James M. Fee. Mrs. Edgecomb is a
daughter of Lewis and Nancy (Trout) Frisbie, was born in Licking County,
this State, September 6, 1855. They have no children. Mr. Edgecomb
does not take an active part in politics, but supports with is vote the
ADOLPH WEIXELBAUM, one of the leading newspaper men of
Northwestern Ohio, publisher of Der Lima Courier, was born in Germany in
1855, and is a son of the late Moses Weixelbaum, formerly a teacher in
Germany, who resided in America for 10 years previous to his death.
Our subject was 16 years old when he came to America, having already
completed the common-school course. At Ironton, Ohio, he entered the
printing office connected with a German newspaper, and there remained
four years, in which period he thoroughly mastered the trade. Going then
to Akron, he was foreman of a German paper there for another four years,
when he removed to Wooster, where he established a German paper which he
continued to published until he came to Lima and purchased Der Lima
Courier. Under his management it has become the leading German
newspaper in this section of the State, being ably edited and liberally
supported. In connection with his newspaper, Mr. Weixelbaum operates a
first-class job- printing office. His place of business is located at
No. 312 North Main street, Lima. He takes a prominent part in the
political discussions of this section of the State and his paper has
Mr. Weixelbaum was married (first) in 1880, to Jennie Stern, who died
in 1891, leaving four children, viz: Harry, who is a commercial traveler
in the South for a New York business house; Milton, who is in the cigar
business at Lima; Gertrude, who is a popular teacher in the Lima
schools; and Martha, who resides at home. Mr. Weixelbaum was married
(second) in 1894 to Esther Goldwater, of New York, and they have tow
children Selma and Elsie.
Mr. Weixelbaum is a member of the Elks and the Maccabees, as well as
a number of the local German organizations of a social and charitable
nature. He is also identified with the Lima Progressive Association,
having always taken an active interest in all public enterprises. In all
his relations, whether public, professional of private, he is highly
ADAM V. PFEIFER
ADAM V. PFEIFER,
deceased, was a successful farmer of German
township, and later a highly respected resident of Elida, where his
death took place, after a short illness, on November 23, 1903. He was
born at Ash Grove, German township, Allen County, Ohio, January 19,
1853, and was a son of Nicholas and Eva Pfeifer.
Mr. Pfeifer was reared on his father's farm and during all his
active years carried on agricultural operations. He was married October
31, 1875, to Bertha Crites, a daughter of Daniel L. and Martha (John )
Crites, and a granddaughter of Charles and Sophia Crites. The last
named were early settlers in Allen County, coming from Pickaway County,
and founded a numerous and prominent family. Daniel L. Crites was one
of the leading Democratic politicians of his day and filled county and
township offices. He served as deputy under Auditor William Dowling, in
the old Court House at Lima, and later was deputy and still later county
clerk of Allen County. He died March 30, 1885, leaving a property
aggregating 106 acres, 42 acres of which are located in Elida, south of
the railroad, the remainder being just beyond the corporation limits.
This property was left to his widow and his two daughters Mrs. Tirzah
Sanford, wife of M. J. Sanford of Lima, and Mrs. A. V. Pfeifer.
Immediately after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Pfeifer lived on a farm
owned by Mr. Crites, which was situated about a quarter of a mile east
of Elida. Four years later they moved to another tract, just across the
street, and then established themselves in the residence still occupied
by Mrs. Pfeifer and family. This is now a home with modern comforts,
having undergone much improvements in the past 10 years. Mr. Pfeifer is
survived by his wife and these of his children, namely: Emery Crites,
born October 9, 1878, who conducts the home farm; India L., born April
21, 1884; Mildred, born October 20, 1890; and Beulah, born September 15,
1886, who died August 12, 1887.
The family are members of the Lutheran Church at Elida, in which Mr.
Pfeifer was a deacon and trustee for many years. He was a man of
upright character, quiet and unostentatious in manner and commanding the
respect of all that knew him.
GEORGE L. DAVIS
GEORGE L. DAVIS,
who has been a resident of Lima since the
spring of 1899, is interested in oil production and also owns some
valuable property in the city, as well as in Auglaize County. He was
born in May, 1851, near Auburn, the county seat of Cayuga County, New
York, and remained there until his 17th year, when he entered the oil
field of Pennsylvania. In short time he was taking contacts for
drilling oil-wells, and met with great success in the several States in
which he operated. In 1873 he extended his operations to Ecuador, South
America, where, for about two years, he was engaged in drilling deep
wells to furnish the inhabitants with a much needed supply of water.
About 1893 he began operations as an independent oil producer, and has
since been thus engaged.
In 1899 Mr. Davis moved to Lima and invested largely in real estate.
Besides his handsome home on Spring Street, he owns the Hotel Manhattan
property in the heart of the city. It is the intention of Mr. Davis to
remodel this building during the next few months, add a number of rooms
to meet the growing demands of the business, and make it in every way
worthy of the large patronage it now enjoys. Mr. Davis owns a fine farm
of 227 1/2 acres in Auglaize County, Ohio, which is devoted to
stock-raising and has gained him a good reputation as a breeder of fine
roadsters and draft horses. He also raises large numbers of cattle,
hogs, and sheep, and conducts his farming along profitable lines.
Mr. Davis was married, in 1877, to Mary Tuller, of Irving, New York.
They have two sons George L., Jr., who resides in Indiana, and Carl L.,
of Lima. Mr. Davis is a prominent Mason, being a member of Lima Council
No. 20, R. & S. M., and Shawnee Commandery, No. 14, K. T., of Lima; Ohio
Sovereign Consistory, S. P. R. S., of Cincinnati; and Antioch Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S., of Dayton.