EUGENE C. MACKENZIE
EUGENE C. MACKENZIE, manager of the Fidelity Coal &
Supply Company, of Lima, was born in 1856 at Kalida, Putnam County, and
is a son of Judge James Mackenzie, whose biography appears elsewhere in
this volume. The family came to Allen County in 1858 and here our
subject was educated and grew to manhood.
Young Mackenzie had not yet attained his majority when he was chosen
deputy clerk of Allen County in 1876, and he was still holding that
position in 1882 when he was elected to the office of county clerk. He
was reelected in 1885. After serving two terms, he retired from
political life and purchased a flouring-mill, which he operated until it
was burned down in 1892. After the destruction of his mill, he was
tendered a position with the Manhattan Oil Company, and took charge of
the shipping department of their refinery in Wood County, Ohio. He
remained with them until the Fidelity Coal & Supply Company was
organized in 1900, when he returned to Lima to act as their manager, and
has been retained in that capacity since.
Mr. Mackenzie was married in 1880 to Ella Gorton, daughter of one of
the pioneer business men of Lima, W. B. Gorton, the latter of whom was
graduated from the Lima schools and is now studying architecture,
preparatory to entering a school of architecture this year. Mr.
Mackenzie is a 32nd degree Mason with membership in all the Lima bodies;
he belongs to the Cincinnati Consistory.
W. H. MACKENZIE
W. H. MACKENZIE, a large brick manufacturer of
Delphos, was born in Jackson township, Seneca County, Ohio, on the 7th
of September, 1848, and is a son of Rev. John T. Mackenzie.
When he was four years old the parents of Mr. Mackenzie moved to
Allen County, and settled on a farm in Spencer township, where he
attended the district schools. When 21 years old he started into
business for himself as a farmer, and until 15 years ago continued to be
interested in agriculture. Since then he has operated one of the
largest brick yards in the vicinity of Delphos. The capacity of his
yard is 20,000 brick in an eight-hour day or nearly 1,000,000 in the
season from April to November. Fully two-thirds of the brick
manufactured are shipped away. Mr. Mackenzie purchased this plant in
1900 from Bour Brothers and under his management it grew into a large
industry. The plant is located right at the clay banks and every
facility has been added to ensure the quality of brick and its economic
Mr. Mackenzie has been a very useful and public spirited citizen.
During several years, when he served on the City Council, he devoted his
energies to securing many city improvements, including permanent
sidewalks and a fine sewer system.
Mr. Mackenzie married Amelia Steiger, daughter of an old pioneer of
Allen County, the late George Steiger, who died in April, 1901. Mr. and
Mrs. Mackenzie have one daughter, Laura Ann, who is the wife of G.
Searles, a funeral director at Delphos. Mr. and Mrs. Searles have three
children: Harold, Howard and Gladys.
Politically, Mr. Mackenzie has always been more or less active. He
is one of the leading members of the United Brethren Church at Delphos,
has been its treasurer for many years and has been its representative to
the general conference. With his wife, Mr. Mackenzie has visited many
parts of the United States from coast to coast. Mrs. Mackezie has made
a most interesting collection of pictures and notes of these travels.
M. D. OWEN
M. D. OWEN, of the firm of Palmer & Owen, carriage
manufacturers, of Lima, was reared in Kenton, Hardin County, Ohio, in
which place he was born in 1871. His father was James Owen, now
deceased, who was a stone contractor and conducted an extensive business
Mr. Owen was educated in his native village and then entered the
employ of the Champion Fence Company of that place, remaining with that
concern one and a half years. Having decided to learn the carriage
manufacturing business, he secured work with Pool Brothers, engaged in
that line, and two years later accepted a position with the H. Keiser
Buggy Company. During the seven years he was in the service of this
company he became proficient in his work, and the succeeding years were
spent working at his trade in various towns of the State Washington
Court House, Yellow Springs and Defiance, each being the scene of his
labors before he became identified with the Collins Buggy Company, of
Akron, Ohio. During his residence in Akron, Ohio, he spent two years at
various night schools, studying mechanical drawing and designing, in
which branches he became very proficient; also, for several months, he
was a student of the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton,
Pennsylvania. In 1899 he left the employ of the Collins Buggy Company
to establish his present business in Lima, becoming a partner of J. B.
Palmer. The firm of Palmer & Owen has been an assured success from the
first. They have experienced a constantly growing demand for their
carriages and buggies. Mr. Owen, with J. B. Palmer and John W. Swan,
owns and operates the Lima Motor Car Company, and his public spirit and
enterprise have made him a valuable acquisition to the city.
Mr. Owen was married March 5, 1892, to Austa Lynch, a daughter of
Alonzo Lynch, of Kenton, Ohio. Mr. Owen is an active worker in Trinity
Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a member, and is also
connected with the Masonic fraternity.
WILLIAM H. HOLMAN
WILLIAM H. HOLMAN, a prominent farmer of section
34, Jackson Township, is a native of Allen County, having been born in
Jackson Township on January 20, 1854. His parents were Daniel and
Rebecca (Snyder) Holman, the former a native of Ross County and the
latter, of Perry County, this State.
Daniel Holman went from Ross County to Delaware County with his
parents at an early day and lived there until 1845 when, with a brother
and sister, he came to Allen County and took up a tract of timberland in
Jackson township. He was a cripple for the greater part of his life,
but was able to oversee the cultivation of his farm, upon which he died
in his 66th year, a little less than one month after his wife had been
laid to rest. Their family consisted of six children, namely: William
H.; Sarah Elizabeth, who was twice married first to a Mr. Hesser and
after his death to a Mr. Austin, of Harrod; Edward; Alice, wife of
Henderson Fackler, of LaFayette; John, of Harrod; and Amos, of Lima.
Mr. Holman was reared on his father's farm and received his
education in the public schools. He has always been engaged in
agriculture and moved to his present farm about 16 years ago.
Previously he had rented the land he tilled. He cleared the timber and
underbrush from 55 of his 80 acres, and erected the buildings which are
now on the place. His wife was formerly Susan Fisher, who was born in
this place, her parents being Michael and Elizabeth (Anspach) Fisher,
who came here from Perry County and acquired a large amount of land. Mr.
and Mrs. Holman have but two children, Lily and Arthur. They are
members of the Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Holman has been trustee for
nine years. He does not take a great deal of interest in politics, but
votes the Democratic ticket.
GEN. O. H. HOLLISTER
GEN. O. H.
HOLLISTER, assistant quartermaster general
of the Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Ohio, and a valued
citizen of Lima, now lives at his pleasant home at No. 557 West Spring
street, retired form active business life, but with many memories of the
strenuous years now past, during which he earned honorable distinction
on the field of battle, in public office and in commercial affairs.
General Hollister was born at Warrensville, near Cleveland, Ohio,
January 30, 1837, and is a son of Samuel C. Hollister.
General Hollister comes of Revolutionary stock, his grandfather,
Appleton Hollister, having served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
His father followed the peaceful pursuits of agriculture in Crawford
County, Pennsylvania, but was also a man of loyal spirit and deeply
concerned in public affairs. He was one of the early abolitionists and
concerned in nearly all of their movements.
The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Ohio, whither
the family removed at an early day. He remained on the home farm until
the outbreak of the Civil War, when he enlisted, June 5, 1861, in
Company I, 10th Reg., Pennsylvania Reserves, being mustered into the
United States service at Pittsburg. His regiment reached Washington
City on the night after the first battle of Bull Run, and the command
assisted in the building of Fort Pennsylvania, on Georgetown Heights.
The young soldier faced the enemy first at a point called Dranesville,
then to Mechanicsville, Virginia, and on the third occasion, at Gaines'
Mill. Although this last battle was by no means the most serious of the
war to the country at large, it was most memorable to our subject, as it
was here that he was wounded so severely as to necessitate the
amputation of his left arm, on August 9, 1862, at Washington. His
honorable discharged followed on September 12th, when he returned to
Pennsylvania where his people were then living.
In the course of time Mr. Hollister recuperated from the injury
which closed his military career, and received the appointment of deputy
collector of internal revenue, which recognition of his worth was
followed in October, 1863, by his election as clerk of the Court of
Quarter Sessions in the Orphans' Court. He was reelected in 1866, and
served in that position with the greatest efficiency for a period of six
years. In 1870 he was appointed county enumerator, and took the census
that year at Meadville. In 1871 he was chosen clerk of the Board of
County Commissioners and directors of the poor, and for 20 years he
continued to satisfactorily perform the duties of that position.
During the administration of President Harrison, he served for three
years as postmaster at Meadville, Pennsylvania. During all the years
when he was under public observation, it is certainly to his credit that
no breath of scandal ever touched his honorable name. In 1898 he came
to Lima, and continued with the Buckeye Pipe Line Company for a year and
a half, when he resigned, he was succeeded by his son.
In 1904 he was appointed assistant quartermaster general of the
Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Ohio, a body in which he has
taken the deepest interest. He is also the adjutant of Mart Armstrong
Post, No. 202, G. A. R., of Lima, and is very prominent in everything
pertaining to the welfare of the order.
General Hollister was married April 21, 1864, to Mary E. Wilson, who
is a daughter of Maj. Robert Wilson, of the Pennsylvania National Guard,
who also served as County Auditor of Crawford County, Pennsylvania.
General and Mrs. Hollister have two children, Viz: Anna I., wife of
Roland B. Thompson, a merchant of Meadville, Pennsylvania, and Charles
W., who is with the Buckeye Pipe Line Company, at Lima. Since 1866 our
esteemed subject has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and still takes an active interest in the work and aims of the