LON S. BROWER
LON S. BROWER, one of the well-known residents of
German township, resides on his valuable farm of 100 acres, which is
just three and a half miles west of the Court House in Lima, and just
south of the Allentown road. Mr. Brower was born in Sugar Creek
township, Allen County, Ohio, November 22, 1854, and is a son of Joseph
and Elizabeth (Stevens) Brower.
The great-grandfather of Mr. Brower came to America from Holland,
settled in Pennsylvania and later moving to Virginia. There his son,
John Brower, was born and spent his whole life. Joseph Brower, father of
Lon S., was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, and came to Allen
County, when 16 years of age, settling in Sugar Creek township , where
he lived all through his active life, casting every vote there until
1896, when he took up his home with our subject. He married Elizabeth
Stevens who was born at Pettsburg, Pennsylvania, and was a daughter of
John Stevens who emigrated from Carmarthenshire, South Wales. They had
three sons and one daughter Viz: Rachel, who died aged nine years;
John, who died aged six years; Abraham L., a college graduate of
Lebanon, Ohio, and later principal of the schools of Seattle, Washington,
where he resides, who married Ella Stemen, of Logan County, Ohio; and
Lon S., of this sketch.
Lon S. Brower was reared and educated in Sugar Creek township and
has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. For eight years after
his marriage he lived in Sugar Creek township, and then purchased his
present farm from his brother-in-law, A. Young. It is one of the most
valuable farms in the county; while Mr. Brower carries on general
farming he makes a specialty of raising corn, as do many of his
Mr. Brower was married December 18, 1879, to Martha Pfiefer, who is
a daughter of Nicholas Pfiefer, one of the pioneers of German township.
The ceremony took place in the home which they now occupy, Mrs. Brower
at that time residing with her sister, Mrs. Young. . and Mrs. Brower
have two daughters Blanche and Hazel. The former was born June 28,
1881, and was married to Jacob Bowers of Canton, Ohio, November 24,
1904. They were classmates at Lima College, where both graduated. They
reside at Fostoria, Ohio, where Mr. Brower is principal of the schools.
Hazel, the second daughter, was born August 1, 1885, and is an
accomplished young lady, a graduate of the Lima High School. Mr. Brower
is a stanch member of the Republican Party and is serving his township
as a member of the School Board.
FREDERICK PHILIP BEUTNER
FREDERICK PHILIP BEUTNER, one of Allen County's
prominent farmers and good citizens, who resides on his well-improved
farm of 169 acres, located in section 27, Marion township belongs to one
of the pioneer families of this locality. He was born at Delphos, Allen
County, Ohio, April 7, 1862, and is a son of Frederick and Johanna
Frederick Beutner was born in the same year that witnessed the birth
of Queen Victoria, of England. His parents were honest, industrious
Germans and he was born in Germany, February 25, 1819, and learned the
trade of shoemaker when he was still a very young man. As a journeyman
he traveler over a large part of Europe. After working for some years in
that way, he decided to try his fortune in America. He landed from a
sailing vessel at New York, with but 50 cents in his pocket. From this
small capital Mr. Beutner, by industry and frugality, built up a
comfortable competency and now in the evening of life, living as a
beloved member of the families of his sons, as best pleases him, he is
able to command a capital of no mean size. From New York he went to
Buffalo and thence in 1854 to Delphos, where he opened a shop; he also
bought a farm of 120 acres in section 22, Marion township. He now owns
130 acres in Allen County and a tract of 80 acres in Van Wert County.
Frederick Beutner was united in marriage, in 1854, at Buffalo, New
York, to Johanna Frombach, who was born in Germany, September 4, 1827,
died in Ohio, December 15, 1904, and was laid to rest December 18, 1904.
They had four sons: Frederick, Carl, John Ludwig and Frederick Philip.
The two older children died in infancy. John Ludwig Beutner is a
prominent farmer of Marion Township, residing in section 23.
Frederick P, Beutner attended school at Delphos until he was 14
years old. He then became a cash boy in a grocery store and
subsequently works under his father for a year at the shoemaking trade.
Later he engaged in a harness business and worked for five years with
Longsworth at Delphos. An accident by which he suffered the loss of
several of his fingers compelled him to abandon work at this trade and
he then went to farming, his father giving him a fine property for more
than 169 acres in section 27, Marion Township. Our subject has
re-ditched the farm, has built a number of substantial buildings upon it
and remodeled others, each improvement adding to the value of the
property. It was formerly known as the "Beutner Picnic Grounds."
On December 24, 1887, Mr. Beutner was married to Delma A. Patton,
who was born March 9, 1868, in Marion township, Allen County, Ohio, and
is a daughter of Andrew Jackson and Mary Jane (Moyer) Patton. The four
children of this marriage are: Carl Frederick, born January 2, 1889;
Robin Adair, born January 1, 1891; Donald Clair, born August 4, 1894;
and Helen, born August 26, 1899.
In his religious views Mr. Beutner is liberal. He is an independent
voter, casting his ballot for the candidate he judges to be most
Andrew Jackson Patton, father of Mrs. Beutner, was born September 16,
1826, in Allen County, Ohio, on the farm now occupied by Minor T. Long.
He is the eldest of 10 children born to John and Rachel (Clawson)
Patton, who were from Pennsylvania. The children of these Ohio pioneers
were: Andrew Jackson, now in his 80th year; Hannah, Ann, Mary,
Frederick, William, Philip and Susanna. John Patton died on his 40 acre
farm in Allen County. His son William, who is a farmer in Marion
township, was a member of the 99th Regiment, Ohio Vol. Inf., from 1862
until June, 1865. He took part in the battles of Stone River,
Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and Ringgold, George.
He was with Sherman in the great "March to the Sea" and with Thomas in
the campaign against Hood. In April, 1866, he married Catherine Jacobs,
who was born in 1846 in Seneca County, Ohio, and they have 10 children.
In 1877 he bought 23 acres of land in section 18, Marion township, on
the Spencerville road.
The children of Andrew Jackson Patton and wife were 10 in number; of
these the following survive: F. R., W. E., Franklin B., Josephine (Mrs.
Nelson Bryan), Jacob S. and Delma A., wife of our subject. The two
youngest members of the family (twins) died at birth, with their mother.
Mr. Patton is one of the representative men of Marion township and
he has done much in the way of its material development. As the result
of his individual efforts, 220 acres were cleared from the native
ABRAM PHILANDER KIPLINGER
ABRAM PHILANDER KIPLINGER, the well-known
horticulturist of Perry Township, has a productive fruit farm of 67 aces
in section 27, where he raises the most delicious fruits to be found in
this part of the State. Mr. Kiplinger was born in Clark County, Ohio,
near the city of Springfield, December 21, 1843, and is a representative
of one of the oldest families in the State. His parnets were Philip and
Mahala (Shockey) Kiplinger and his grandparents, Daniel and Elizabeth
(Pence) Kiplinger. The family was founded in America more than 200
years ago and its members have been residents of Ohio for more than a
century, the great-grandfather of our subject having settled in Clark
County where his remains were laid to rest.
Daniel Kiplinger was a native of Virginia, whence he came by ox team
to Clark County and where he died April 8, 1867, at the age of 74 years.
His wife, Elizabeth Pence, was also a native of Virginia. They entered
300 acres of land in Clark County, and some idea of the honorable
character of the man may be gleaned from the following endorsement which
is found on the deed to the property: " I this day walked to Cincinnati
to make final payment of one dollar and fifty cents on this land." A
man whose conscientious scruples would induce him to walk that distance
to discharge so paltry a debt certainly left the impress of his
nobility upon his descendants, while he himself was held in the highest
esteem. He reared four children Jacob, Daniel, Philip and Elizabeth,
who married a Mr. Loudebach.
Philip Kiplinger was born in January, 1804, in the Luray Valley,
Virginia. When a child of two years his parents removed to Ohio, and
farm in Clark County. He was a member of the State militia and acted as
guard against the Indians at Fort Defiance. He married Mahala Shockey
who was born in Kentucky, October 29, 1806. Her parents were William
and --(Casseldine) Shockey, of North Carolna, who bore their part in the
frontier Indian wars of Kentucky. In addition to doing her housework
and rearing a family of 15 children, she wove the cloth which sh
afterward made into their garments, and, when her husband was away from
home, assumed his work, even to the extent of sawing lumber. She died
January 2, 1887, leaving behind a blessed memory. The children of
Philip Kiplinger and his wife were as follows: Daniel, a resident of
Lima; William, James and Louisa, deceased; Elizabeth (Senseman) and
Hannah (Moles) twins; John Wesley, who died in infancy; Wesley Harrison;
Isaac Emory, deceased; Samuel, who died of smallpox in the Civil War;
Philip Anthony and Joseph Conray, twins the former a resident of
Louisiana and the latter, of Findlay, Ohio; Abram Philander; Lucetta
Caroline, who married Rev. A. J. Fish; and Brazellas Franklin, who died
in Springfield, Ohio, at the age of 54 years.
Abram P. Kiplinger attended the common schools and remained at home
until his 18th year, when, in January, 1862, he enlisted for service in
the Civil War, as a member of Company E, 60th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf. At
Harper's Ferry he was taken prisoner and later sent to Chicago on
parole, remaining there seven weeks until his term of enlistment had
expired. Re-enlisting in Company H, 32nd Ohio Regiment, he became a
member of the Third Brigade, Fourth Division, 17th Army Corps, under the
command of General Blair and was sent to Vicksburg where he joined a
command detailed for guard duty. He returned home on a veteran's
furlough for 30 days, and, after he had recuperated and visited
relatives and friends, once more sought the scene of army activities.
He first went to Cairo, where he took a steamer to Clifton, Tennessee,
and thence assume a wearing march which only terminated when General
Sherman's army was reached near Atlanta. The siege of Atlanta continued
120 days and on the 22d of July, 1864, from 11 o'clock in the morning
until 9 o'clock at night the contest was a hand-to-hand fight between
the contending forces, the latter part of the engagement being fought in
darkness. In this fierce engagement Mr. Kiplinger's regiment lost 140
men, but it was the beginning of the end of that great struggle. In
October a 300 mile dash was made after General Hood, which ended in the
latter's army being scattered and broken up. After this came the
memorable "March to the Sea." The army left Marietta, Georgia, with
70,000 head of cattle, which were to furnish fresh meat for the men of
the march; but, like the marches, the meat was tough and little enjoyed
by the weary soldiers. Leaving Savannah after a three-weeks' stay
there, the army made a 55 days' march through the Carolinas, covering a
distance of 550 miles by way of Columbia, which they burned. Then on
through Orangeburg to Raleigh, being compelled to wade through swamps in
order to reach the Rebels, who felt secure in the belief that the
undertaking would be too great for the Yankees to attempt. At Raleigh
the last fight with Johnston occurred, the soldiers marching thence to
Washington where the Grand Review was held. After going into camp at
Louisville, they went to Columbus where they were discharged.
Mr. Kiplinger was a carpenter by trade, and he now returned to that
occupation, for 17 years being engaged in that calling in Lima. In
September, 1883, he moved to his present residence in Perry Township
where he has 67 acres of land and devotes his time to farming and
fruit-raising. Mr. Kiplinger has given especial and successful
attention to cultivating strawberries and small fruits and vegetables.
Mr. Kiplinger was married June 23, 1868, to Orissa Kelsey, buy whom
he has three children Velora, Ella and Ethel. Velora was born December
1, 1869, and is the wife of Milliard Winegardner and the mother of three
children Imogene, Doyle and Lester L. Ella was born March 7, 1874, and
married A. C. Smith, of Auglaize County. Their children are Beatrice
and Albert Nolen. Ethel was born September 26, 1884, and married Doc.
Horn, October 25, 1905. Mrs. Kiplinger is a native of Vermont and was
born September 5, 1848. Her parents were Elias and Mary Ann (Gilbert)
Kelsey, the father a native of Vermont and the mother of Plainsfield,
New Hampshire. Her maternal ancestors were "Mayflower" pilgrims; her
grandfather Kelsey and grandfather Gilbert took part in the war of 1812,
and her great- grandfather Kelsey was a soldier in the Revolution. Mr.
and Mrs. Kiplinger are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and are
consistent Christian people. Mr. Kiplinger is a prominent member of the
G. A. R. and a stanch Republican.
A group picture of Mr. and Mrs. Kiplinger and family accompanies the
foregoing sketch, being presented on a preceding page.
OTTO G. TAGUE
OTTO G. TAGUE, who is extensively engaged in the oil
industry in Ohio and Indiana oil fields, is also well-known through this
section as a newspaper man and since 1902 he has been proprietor and
editor of the Oil News, a monthly journal which he founded and which is
entirely devoted to the oil industry. Mr. Tague was born in 1877 in
Switzerland County, Indiana, and is a son of James Tague, who
superintends his son's large oil properties.
Mr. Tague was educated in the public schools of Ohio and when his
education was complete he went out on the road for the publishing firm
of Rand, McNally & Company of Chicago, and was connected with their
advertising department for four years.
In 1900 Mr. Tague left off traveling in order to accept the
editorship of the Van Wert Times, at Van Wert, Ohio, but in less than a
year he came to Lima where the field was larger and was connected with
the Republican Gazette until 1902 when he established the Oil News.
This journal filled a long-felt want and its circulation extends all
over the world, subscribers being found in South America and in South
Mr. Tague has not been satisfied with literary laurels but has been
interested in a very practical way in large oil interests for some
years. He is president of several oil companies in the Ohio and Indiana
fields and he is also interested in Dr. S. A. Baxter's copper mines in
In 1902 Mr. Tague was married to Laura M. Watts, who is a daughter
of A. H. Watts, superintendent of the motive power department of the
Cincinnati & Northern Railroad. Mr. and Mrs. Tague are the parents of
one daughter, Beatrice.
Fraternally Mr. Tague has membership with the Masons and the Elks.
His offices are in the Opera House Block, Lima. He is one of the city's
busy and successful men.
M. P. COLT
M. P. COLT, local manager of the National Supply
Company, of Lima, has been connected with this company for the past 12
years, eight of which have been spent in Lima in his present office. He
was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania, in 1870, was there educated and
reared on a farm, which was his home until he reached his majority. He
then came to the Ohio Oil field and secured employment with the
Manhattan Oil Company. Two years later he accepted a lucrative position
in the clerical department of the National Supply Company, of Wood
County, and has worked his way up by the interest and energy he has
shown in the business. The main offices are at Toledo, Ohio, with 70
branch offices, where all the tools used in the production of oil are
Mr. Colt has operated in every oil field in the Union, except Texas.
He established the first supply store opened in Kansas, and started the
store for the National Supply Company in California. In 1897 he came to
Lima as the local manager of the company and conducts a very successful
business. He has large business interests, being engaged in oil
production in the field of Ohio and Indiana; director in The Lima Trust
Company; stockholder in the Crystal Ice & Coal Company; stockholder of
the First National Bank of Cuba, New York; and also in the Lima Driving
Park Association. He is a genial, affable gentleman who,
notwithstanding his complex business interests, finds time for recreation
and a social hour with his friends. Mr. Colt was married in 1894 to
Hattie Clayton, of Bluffton, Indiana