ANDREW J. CHAPMAN

 ANDREW J. CHAPMAN, one of the substantial farmers of
Allen County, was born in Butler County, Ohio, May 22, 1833.  He has
been a resident of Perry Township since 1837, and is the owner of a fine
farm in section 35.  His parents were Lewis and Catherine (McTaggert)
Chapman, who moved form Pennsylvania to Allen County in 1837.  Eight
years later Lewis Chapman, who was a farmer, died.   He was a Democrat
and a member of the Hard-Shell Baptist Church at Lima.  There was born
to him and his wife, Catherine McTaggert, five children, three of whom
died in infancy.  The two surviving are J. H., who was born August 16,
1834, and Andrew J.  Mrs. Chapman passed away in the autumn of 1877.
     Andrew J.  Chapman attended school in the same district in which he
now lives excepting the time spent in the Civil War, and remained at
home until his marriage.  He first enlisted in September, 1861, in
Company D, 54th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf.  After serving for 19 months and 18
days he received a certificate of discharge from the surgeon on account
of disability.  Having regained his health, he reenlisted in 1864in
Company B, 151st Ohio, and served 100 days, receiving his discharge
August 27, 1864.  The first important engagement in which he
participated was at Washington City, when General Early made his raid
upon it .  Returning to Ohio, he again took up farming and has continued
in that occupation ever since.  He bought 90 acres of land in section
35, Perry township and about 1875 built a comfortable modern residence
and otherwise improved his property, making it one of the most desirable
in the township.  In addition to this farm, Mrs. Chapman owns 38 acres in
section 25, Perry Township, which she inherited form her father.
    Mr. Chapman has been twice married.  On May 2, 1866, he was married
to Letitia Kerr, daughter of Alexander E. Kerr, who resided in Auglaize
Township.  She died in November, 1867, and on May 9, 1869, Mr. Chapman
was united in marriage to his present wife who was formerly Anna Bowdle.
Mrs. Chapman was born April 23, 1845, and is a daughter of Jesse L.
Bowdle, of Perry township.  To this union seven children were born, as
follows: Harley Weston, born February 28, 1870, who married Ora Sherfey
and resides in Lima; Effie W. (Stevenson), born January 3, 1872, who has
three children, Lucille, Walter and Evelyn, and lives in Perry township;
Laura L. (Moyer), born July 14, 1874, who is the mother of four children
Naomi, Doyle, Charles and Ernest; Sarah E. (Naylor), born April 24,
1878, who is the mother of one child Vera; Jesse G., born December 11,
1880, who married Bessie Baker, has one child, Pansy, and resides in
Kossuth, Auglaize County; Bessis M., born October 29, 1883, and Charles
H., born August 31, 1886, who lives at home.  Mr. Chapman is a
Republican and has served as assessor and township treasurer.  He is a
member of Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., and of the Methodist
Episcopal Church.


CAPT. C. F. DONZE

CAPT. C. F. DONZE, one of the prominent citizens of
Lima, who is identified with the city's material development and its
business and social life, is a native of France, a country which has
contributed largely to the good citizenship of America.  Captain Donze
was born June 5, 1844, and accompanied his parents to America at the age
of five years.
    The parents of our subject settled in Williams County, Ohio, and
there the boy was reared and educated, and imbibed the patriotic
feelings which induced him, a youth of but 17 years, to enlist in the
defense of the flag of his adopted country.  In August, 1861, he became
a member of Company A, 38th Reg. Ohio Vol. Inf., remaining with the same
company when it veteranized two years later.  He was with the same
regiment until the close of the war, with the exception of the times
when on detached duty.  His service covered three years and 11 months,
and he was mustered out on July 22, 1865 at the close of the war.  He
took part in every engagement of the regiment, participating in the
whole campaign under General Rosecrans through Kentucky and Tennessee,
the battles of Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, then on to Atlanta,
thence to Jonesboro, back to Kingston, and under General Sherman in his
famous "March to the Sea,"  then up through the Carolinas to the Grand
Review at Washington.
    Captain Donze did not escape injury during these years of exposure
and dangers.  He was wounded on several occasions, the most serious one
being received at the battle of Jonesboro, Georgia, on September 1,
1864.  Enlisting as a private, he was rapidly advanced later becoming
sergeant and color-bearer.  With him it is a cherished privilege to meet
his old comrades at the yearly reunions and to carry again his old flag,
which he so gallantly upheld when bullets rained about him and the
enemy's deadly shells were exploding above his head.  His company went
out with a membership of 101; 120 recruits were mustered into the
service during the war, and of the original muster, 29 answered the
mustercall at the close of the war.
     After his army life was over, Captain Donze returned home and spent
his first winter attending school.  In the spring of 1866 he engaged in
a hardware business at Bryan, Ohio and at other points under the firm
name of Garver, Donze & Company.  In 1878 he came to Lima and continued
in the hardware business for some seven years, later in the funiture ine
and still later became interested in milling.  In April, 1904, he sold
out his milling interests and since then has not been in active business
life.  Although this is true, it does not mean that he has retired from
all activity as to public concern and public-spirited movements, for he
is now, as formerly, alive to everything which closely concerns his
city.  He is a large owner of real estate and built the Donze & Krauss
Block, on North Main street and the fine three-story Donze Block on
South Main street, which is 50 by 90 feet; also a block on Spring street,
which has 50 feet frontage and a part of which is 60 and the remainder
97 feet deep.
    Captain Donze is a member of the City Board of Review of Lima, a
member of the board of trustees of the Masonic Hall Company and a member
of the executive committee and the board of directors of Lima
Progressive Association.  He belongs also to the Country Club.  In
addition he is a Mason, belonging to the Blue lodge, Council and
Commandery at Lima and to Antioch Temple, of the Mystic Shrine at
Dayton.  He is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.


WILLIAM WARLOW POWELL

WILLIAM WARLOW POWELL, a retired butcher of Lima,
resides on a farm in section 13, Bath township, where he is engaged in
general farming and stock-raising.  He was born in Montgomeryshire,
North Wales, May 20, 1830, and is a son of James and Mary Harriet
(Cowdal) Powell.  His mother was related to Nelson and Warlow and both
parents were natives of Wales, as were their ancestors as far back as
can be traced.  'Squire Thomas Powell, the grandfather of our subject,
was a magistrate of Wales and an earnest follower of John Wesley, taking
an active part in the religious strife of that age.  One of his sons,
Matthew Powell, led the Welsh guerrillas at the famous battle of
Waterloo. The families were remarkable for their longevity, the
grandparents passing their 80th milestone and the father being past 90
at death.  James Powell was a leather dresser, having learned that trade
with his father.
    William Warlow Powell was one of eight children five sisters and
three brothers, and was the only one of the family to leave Wales.  He
lived on a farm until he was about 22 years of age when he learned the
trade of a butcher, working at the business both in Wales and England.
After mastering the trade in Shropshire, he opened a shop for himself in
Newtown, where he did  a good business for that country.  Having made
the acquaintance of a butcher in London, who catered to the wants of the
royal family, Mr. Powell supplied him with Welsh mutton for the royal
table for three years. In the fall of 1865 he came to America and
proceeded from New York to Dayton, Ohio, where he remained a short time
before coming to Lima.  Here he opened a butcher shop which he conducted
for 20 years, and soon worked up a lucrative patronage, which continued
with him until his retirement form the business.  He then turned his
attention to agriculture, moving on the farm with his wife's father.
Mr. Powell has been equally successful in his farming operations and now
owns three adjoining farms in Bath Township one of 40 acres, one of 54
acres and the homestead on which he lives, which consists of 80 acres.
    Mr. Powell was married in 1868, to Martha Jane Cobean, who was born
in Logan County, Ohio, February 9, 1840, but has been a resident here
since early girlhood, her father, Samuel Cobean, having brought his
family to this locality when it was little more than a wilderness.
Their family consists of the following children, viz: Mary H., wife of
C. H. Palsor, of Lima; Emma R.; Ida Bell, wife of Joseph I. Thayer, of
Perrysburg, Ohio; Susan; Sarah; and Thomas E., a farmer of Bath Township, who married Dona Stinson; whose father lives in Bath township.
Mr. Powell is a devout Methodist, having joined that church in Wales
when a lad of 17 years.


J. W. ROWLANDS

J. W. ROWLANDS, one of Lima's leading citizens, a
prominent merchant and vice-president of the Lima Driving Park
Association, was born in this city in 1861, and is a son of Daniel
Rowlands, one of its honored retired citizens, who was formerly largely
interested in real estate.  Daniel Rowlands built the paper mills at
Piqua and Upper Sandusky, Ohio, and for a number of years was manager of
the Lima Paper Mills.  He also served on the Water Works Board at Lima.
    J. W. Rowlands was educated in the public schools of Lima and the
Ohio Normal University at Ada, Ohio.  With the exception of a period of
eight years, during which he traveled in Indiana, Dakota and the West,
he has lived continuously at Lima, where his business and social
interests are centered. In 1886 Mr. Rowlands became associated in the
furniture house of C. Betzer & Company, but in 1893 embarked in the same
line of business for himself and, through enterprise and ability, has
established the largest trade in the city.  Mr. Rowlands has a fine
location at No. 204 North Main street, where he utilizes 560 feet of
floor space in displaying his goods, while his warehouse gives him 300
more feet.  His stock is up-to-date in every particular, and, in
addition to all the new conceits of fashion, includes all the old
standard good, with prices to suit the workingman and millionaire alike.
In addition to his large business in this line, he is financially
interested in a number of other successful enterprises.  He is a large
operator in Lima real estate, is one of the original stockholders in the
Lima Trust Company, a stockholder in the Lima Telephone & Telegraph
Company, and a director and vice-president of the Lima Driving Park
Association, giving his personal attention to these various interests
and being naturally, one of the busiest men of the city. 
    In 1883 Mr. Rowlands was married to Lizzie M. Koller, of Tiffin,
Ohio, who is a daughter of Henry O. Koller.  They have two sons Carl K.
and Walter D.
    Mr. Rowlands has served on the City Council and has been president
of that body.  Fraternally he is a Mason and an Elk. 

ADAM D. LUGIBIHL

ADAM D. LUGIBIHL, who conducts the leading hardware
store at Bluffton, was born about six miles north of Bluffton, August
24, 1848.  His parents were Christian and Barbara (Hilty) Lugibihl, both
of whom were natives of Alsace, France.  The father was born November
21, 1809, and came to the United States in 1824 with his father,
Christian Lugibihl, Sr.  Later he came to Ohio, where in 1835 he entered
a quarter section of land in Riley township, Putnam County, which he
farmed until his death.  On February 1, 1838, he was married to Barbara
Hilty, who was born April 5, 1814, and died October 3, 1853, just two
years before her husband, who passed away on October 3, 1855.  Nine
children were born to them and eight of this number grew to adult years.
    Adam D. Lugibihl was a child of five years when his mother was taken
from him; when his father died two years later he came to Allen County
and made his home with his uncle, David Lugibihl, for five years.  The
following four years he lived with a sister, then one year was spent
with a cousin and one with brother at the home.  He had by this time
reached the age of 18 and was ready to do for himself.  He secured
employment with a carpenter in order to learn the trade, which he
followed in various places until he entered his present business.  In
this manner he managed to see considerable of the Western country and at
the same time to keep constantly at work.  The summer of 1867 was spent
in St. Clair County, Illinois, and the two years following that in
Kansas City.  In 1870 he was employed on the construction of the Kansas
Pacific Railroad, and during 15 months he was with the company the
principal meat provided him was buffalo meat.  Two months were spent in
Denver and then in December, 1871, tired of the life of a rover he
returned to Ohio.  In June, 1872, Mr. Lugibihl and Peter Diller
purchased the small stock of hardware at Bluffton, which had been
carried by Ransom Bartlett, and opened the store under the firm name of
Diller & Lugibihl.  At that time the railroad had not yet reached
Bluffton, but under the excellent management of the new firm the
business grew and prospered until it was necessary to have additional
room for the stock.  Having erected a handsome brick building in 1873,
they purchased the adjoining building in 1885, thus securing one of the
best locations in the city and enabling them to make a much better
showing of their goods in the large double store thus acquired.  For 26
years these gentlemen conducted this large hardware business together,
until November, 1898, when Mr. Diller retired and Mr. Lugibihl purchased
the entire business, which he has since conducted very successfully by
himself.  It would be almost impossible to call for any article in the
hardware line which is not to be found in his stock, from a tin cup to
agricultural implements and builders' materials.  About five years ago
he became associated with H. D. Zerbach in manufacturing the "Boss'
cream separator, the latter gentleman being manager of the plant, which
is known as the Bluffton Cream Separator Company.  Mr. Lugibihl is also
a stockholder in the Bluffton Cement Block Company, and is not afraid of
showing his confidence in Bluffton enterprise by investing his money in
her industries.
     In 1874 Mr. Lugibihl was married to Emma Reed, who was born in
Hancock County, Ohio, November 18, 1855.  Her parents were James and
Susan K. (Lapham) Reed, the former from State of Pennsylvania and the
latter of New England birth.  Four children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Lugibihl, namely: Edith, born in 1876, who is the wife of Bert
Mann, a resident of Bowerston, Ohio; Pearl, born August 21, 1878, who
died April 26, 1883l Harley, born January 4, 1882l Myron, born March 3,
1887.  Mr. Lugibihl is a Republican, but has devoted little time to
politics.  He was a member of the Bluffton Council for three terms and
gave the same energy to the transaction of the city affairs that he does
to the conduct of his own business.