W. S. KIMBALL
W. S. KIMBALL, notary public and attorney-at-law at
Delphos, was born in Delphos in 1877, and is a son of Edward E. and Ida
(Breece) Kimball, and a lineal decendant of Stephen Kimball, from whom
he takes his second name.
Stephen Kimball, the paternal grandfather, was born in Connecticut
and there married Mary Read, who was a representative of that family
which was so prominent in the early history of Reading, Pennsylvania, as
to give the name to that great industrial city. The children of this
union were: George, who was killed during the Civil War while serving
under Admiral Farragut; Edward E., father of W. S. ; Oliver, of
LaFayette, Indiana; Mrs. Julia Harter, deceased; and Mrs. Charles Smith,
of South Bend, Indiana.
James Alexander, one of the venerable residents of Delphos, is our
subject's great- grandfather on the maternal side. He was one of the
first captains on the canal and propelled a boat of his won for a number
Edward E. Kimball, father of W. S., was born at Portland, Indiana,
April 17, 1857. He was reared to agricultural pursuits and carried on
farming until he came to Delphos, Ohio. For the past 20 years he has
been connected with the Adams Express Company, and also operates a dray
line. He married Ida Breece, a daughter of William and Elizabeth
(Alexander) Breece, whose father came to Delphos from Delaware, Ohio.
Of the five sons born to the above marriage, the three survivors are: W.
S. of this sketch; and Charles and Ora, both connected with the Delphos
W. S. Kimball was educated in the Delphos schools, graduating
therefrom in 1895. He then read law for two and a half years under
Judge M. Brotherton, of Van Wert County and, after a term in the law
department of the Ohio Normal University at Ada, was admitted to
practice in 1901. Mr. Kimball has bound a work at Delphos. Politically
a Democrat, he has served his party in many important positions, being
for two years chairman of Democratic Central Committee, of which he is
still a member. He is also serving on the Delphos Board of Education.
He is a member of the National Union Fraternal Insurance Company and has
been financial secretary of that body.
In November, 1899, Mr. Kimball was married to Edna Holliday, a
daughter of Kimmel Holliday, and to their union one son, Paul Holliday,
was born September 24, 1900. Mr. Kimball and wife are members of the
FRANK HOBERHOUR conducts a successful business in
staple and fancy groceries in Lima, and is a man of sterling worth and
upright character. Mr. Hoberhour was born in Bluffton, this county, in
1862, and is a son of Matthew Hoberhour, who was a shoemaker by trade
and later operated a grist- mill. He died in 1867, when our subject was
a child of five years.
After leaving school in Bluffton, Frank Hoberhour became a carriage
painter and worked at that business about 12 years before coming to
Lima. Here he secured a position in the C., H. & D. Railway shops as
coach painter and was so employed 12 years, leaving them only to engage
in business for himself. Erecting a business block at No. 747 North
West Street, he fitted it with a complete stock of staple and fancy
groceries and has established a substantial treatment of customers, and
his executive ability.
Mr. Hoberhour was married, in 1883, to Rebecca A. Stevenson,
daughter of the late H. K. Stevenson, who was a real estate dealer and
insurance agent of Columbus Grove, Ohio. Of the children born to this
union, three are living, namely: Edward B., a student in Lima College;
Bessie Emeline and Francis. Mr. Hoberhour is a member of the I. O. O.
F. and Royal Arcanum.
C. L. ACKERMAN
C. L. ACKERMAN, wholesale liquor dealer, is one of the
influential merchants of Lima, of which city he has been a resident a
little more that 10 years. He was born in 1866 in Mansfield, Richland
County, Ohio, where he was educated and commenced his business career.
For about four years he conducted a restaurant and cafe in Mansfield,
then came to Lima and also opened a cafe, which he continued until
November, 1903, when he engaged in the wholesale liquor trade. This
enterprise has proved most remunerative; two salesmen are kept
constantly on the road.
Mr. Ackerman is identified with several of the leading industries of
Lima, being a director of the Allen County Oil Company, and of the
Imperial Brewery, now in process of construction.
Mr. Ackerman was married, in 1895, to Kate Ziegler, daughter of
Godfried Ziegler, of Wapakoneta. One child Margaret Louise, has been
born to them. Mr. Ackerman is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Eagles,
the Red Men and the United Commercial Travelers' Association, and has
formed many warm friendships since locating in Lima.
JOHN AMSTUTZ, One of the prominent citizens of Allen
County, formerly County Commissioner, resides upon his well- improved
farm of 80 acres, located in section 2, Richland township, Putnam
County, Ohio, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Steiner) Amstutz.
In many ways the father of our subject was one of the most notable
men that ever lived in Richland township. He was born November 22,
1811, in Alsace, France, during the days of Napoleon, and remained
cultivating the patrimonial acres until he was 21 years of age, in every
sense a self-made man, he was one who deserved the esteem and respect in
which he was held until the close of his life and the admiration
expressed for his acquirements which, in many ways, were equal to those
of the fortunate ones who enjoyed collegiate advantages. Yet the only
schooling John Amstutz ever had was a period of three months in a German
school, three days in a French one and two lessons in English. For
years he both spoke and wrote all three languages correctly and easily.
In 1833 John Amstutz crossed the Atlantic Ocean, filled with the hope
that in a new land he would find opportunities for both mental and
material advancement. The old sailing vessel landed him at the port of
New Orleans during a yellow fever epidemic and he was one of those who
survived its ravages. He remained one year in New Orleans before he
commanded enough capital to take him up the Mississippi and Ohio rivers
to Cincinnati, where he worked by the day at wagon-making until 1835.
He then came to Allen County and bought 10 aces of land and on this
little tract he built the first wagon ship erected in Northwestern Ohio.
It is said that he made the first school globe ever constructed in the
State. He continued work at his trade until he retired from active
life, at the age of 63 years, and his death occurred at the home of our
subject at the age of 80 years and 11 months.
This really remarkable man so appreciated learning that it was
always his great desire to advance the educational opportunities of the
community. He accumulated the largest private library then in the
county and not only absorbed the contents of his books, was conversant
with the best literature of the day and was one of the locality's best
informed men, but he was generous in his assistance to others. He
helped in the organization of Richland Township and was the first school
director, the township having but one district at that time. His
character was so unimpeachable that his fellow-citizens would gladly
have elected him to every office. He served as township treasurer for
20 years and for 27 years was justice of the peace. Politically he was
a stanch Democrat. His faculties were remarkable preserved and it is
related by his son that his 80th birthday he celebrated by writing,
without glasses, which he never used, the whole of the Lord's Prayer on
a bit of paper which a silver dime could cover.
In 1836 John Amstutz was united in marriage, in Allen County, with
Elizabeth Steiner, who was born March 17, 1815, in Alsace, France, near
his own birthplace. She died on the present farm of our subject at the
age of 53 years. Her parents were Rev. Christian and Elizabeth (Sutter)
Steiner. Her father was born in Canton Bern, Switzerland, and went from
there to Alsace, France, and in 1835 came to Allen County, by way of the
city of New York. He was the first Mennonite preacher in this section
and in 1836 organized the present Mennonite Church, which is the largest
church of that religious body in this vicinity. According to the manner
of filling the ministry, he was allotted to this church and, although he
also engaged in farming, he was one of the most active pioneer ministers
of his time.
John and Elizbeth (Steiner) Amstutz had 12 children born to them,
our subject being the fifth member of this family, the record being as
follows: Barbara; Mary Annie; Katherine, residing with our subject;
Elizabeth, a resident of Richland township; John; Emma; Jacob, of
Oregon; Alexander; Louis; Christina (2) and Alexander (2) . But four
members of the family sill survive.
John Amstutz, our immediate subject, and his father's namesake, has
always resided in Richland township. When he was 13 years of age, he
entered his father's wagon ship and was thoroughly taught the business,
remaining there until he was 23 years old. He then rented a farm and
settled down to an agricultural life, continuing as a renter for 10
years, when he bought 80 acres of land in section 2, Richland Township.
There has been 30 acres of this cleared but the only building on it was
a log cabin. Now the farm is noted for its fine appearance, all of it
being cleared with the exception of two acres of timberland. Mr.
Amstutz has always engaged in general farming. For three years he
conducted a large quarry business at Bluffton, in partnership with his
son Wilhelm A. Amstutz, under the name of Amstutz & Son, which gave
employment to from 20 to 30 men. In July, 1905, our subject sold out to
his son and partners and a stock company was formed with five members,
the business being continued.
Mr. Amstutz was married February 28, 1871, to Sarah Klinger, who was
born in Monroe township, Allen County, Ohio, August 25, 1851, and is a
daughter of John Adam and Margaret Eve (Hoffer) Klinger, who were born
in Hessen, Germany. They came from their native land to Allen County,
Ohio, in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Amstutz have had five children: Lona;
Paulina; Philip, who died aged two and a half years; Wilhelm Albert; and
Malinda, who is a member of the class of 1906 in the Bluffton High
School. Wilhelm Albert Amstutz, the only son, is one of the most highly
esteemed young men of the township, one who combines business ability
with the admirable personal characteristics which go far toward the
making of an honorable and useful citizen. He is of an earnest,
thoughtful disposition and has always shown a helpful interest in the
affairs of the Reformed Church. For two years he has been
superintendent of the Sunday-school, the youngest who has ever held this
responsible position in this church. He has made many friends over the
State and through the county, as he has frequently been sent as a
delegate from the Bluffton Church. He is a graduate of the Bluffton
All his life John Amstutz has been closely identified with the
Democratic Party and has frequently been elected to important offices.
He served seven years as township supervisor, seven years as township
trustee, 14 years on the School Board seven years as county
commissioner, and in every case performed his duties with signal
fidelity. He belongs to the Reformed Church, of Bluffton, of which he
is a charter member and for one year was trustee. He holds fraternal
relationship with the Masonic lodge at Bluffton, the Odd Fellows at
Bluffton and the Elks at Lima.
GEORGE W. KNITTLE
GEORGE W. KNITTLE. Among the well known farmers of
German township, none is more deserving of mention than George W.
Knittle, whose farm of 80 acres is located in section 17. He has lived
all his life in Allen County. He was born in Sugar Creek township,
March 3, 1856, and is a son of Jacob and Eliza (Hamilton) Knittle, and a
grandson of William and Rebecca (Tester) Knittle. William Knittle came
with his wife from Fairfield County, Ohio, to Allen County at a very
early day, and here entered 40 acres of land from the government.
George W. Knittle was reared on his father's farm and has always
been an agriculturalist, the greater part of his life having been passed
in German township. On October 21, 1875, he was married to Ida Belle
Tester, daughter of Frederick and Sarah Jane (Umpstead) Tester,
residents of German township. Mrs. Knittle was born February 20, 1860,
and has had four children, only two of whom are now living. The record
is as Follows: William B., born April 16, 1876, who married Alice Snow,
of Elida and is employed in the oil field; Charles Frederick, born May
5, 1879, deceased in infancy; Orla Guy, born April 22, 1889, now a
student in the schools of Elida; and Beulah May, born January 19, 1897,
who died at the age of seven days. When Mr. Knittle was married he
bought his bride to their present home where they have lived
continuously except for a period of six years, three of which were spent
in Lima and the remainder in Elida. Mr. Knittle is a member of the
lodge and encampment, I. O. O. F. at Lima.
CARDOSI, wholesale fruit dealer, located at No.
127 West Market street, Lima, is one of the city's enterprising and
successful business men. He was born at Barga, Italy, in 1862, and came
to America in 1884.
Mr. Cardosi' s commercial success has been most remarkable. He was
engaged in retail fruit business at Wellson, Jackson County, Ohio,
whence he removed to Lima in 1886, continuing exclusively in the retail
line until 1891, when he became a wholesaler. Formerly all the banana
trade was carried on by jobbers, but Mr. Cardosi now handles it within
a radius of 25 miles. he is an extensive dealer in all domestic and
tropical fruits, his stock comprising the very best and choicest to be
found in the world's market.
In addition to really controlling the fruit trade in this section,
Mr. Cardosi has invested largely in real estate. He owns five residence
properties in Lima, and is proprietor of the fine Hetrick Block, built
of pressed brick, one of the most substantial and ornate business
structures in the city. It is situated on Market Street, within half a
block of the Public Square, has a frontage of 51 feet and a depth of 86
feet, and is four stories in height. Mr. Cardosi is a stockholder in
the home telephone company, and is interested in other enterprises.
Since coming to Lima he has made the city's interests his own; is a
member of the Lima Board of Trade and a man who commands the respect and
confidence of his business associates.
Mr. Cardosi was married in 1889 to Susie Vitoi, who was also born in
Italy. They have four children, viz: Mary, Edward, Hazel and Alvina.