NEWTON SAGER, M. D.
NEWTON SAGER, M. D. Among the eminent physicians and
surgeons of Allen County, the Sagers have been distinguished for two
generations and the subject of this record bears the name of a father
who was the pioneer physician of Jackson township, and, indeed, one of
the earliest practitioners of medicine in Allen County. Dr. Newton
Sager, of LaFayette, was born in this village, in a home on the site of
his present residence, on December 18, 1846, being the eldest son of Dr.
Newton and Bethiah (Gilbert) Sager.
The Sager family probably originated in England and later
established a home in Virginia, where the grandparents of Dr. Sager,
Henry and Lovina (Haines) Sager, were born whence they removed to Union
County, Ohio, at a very early date. Of their eight children, Dr. Newton
Sager, Sr., was born in Union County, Ohio, October 31, 1817, and died
at LaFayette, Allen County, on August 13, 1903, having been one of the
most highly esteemed men of his day in this section of the State, both
in private and professional life. He enjoyed better educational
advantages than were afforded many of his associates , for after he had
completed the common-school course at the age of 19 years, he was
entered at Oxford University, later pursued a medical course in Pleasant
Valley Madison County, Ohio, and in 1843 was graduated in medicine at
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.
The young physician settled in Jackson township, Allen County, Ohio,
although it might be thought so sparsely settled a district as it was
then would have little need for his services. In fact for some years
his professional visits covered a very wide territory. The settlement
of the county meant a greater tax on his time and strength and for years
he knew no rest from professional labor. He was one of the earliest
settlers at LaFayette and established the first drug-store in the
village which he continued for many years. On account of the prevailing
malaria, which is the cause of much of the sickness in any newly settled
community, the necessity for quinine was very great and it was
difficult to obtain it in days when journeys were made on horseback and
by ox-team. It was in order to be able to supply the drugs he found it
necessary to prescribe that Dr. Sager established his own drug-store.
Not only did Dr. Sager occupy a prominent place in his locality as a
man of science, but he was also a dominating influence in all public
affairs, a leader in educational movements and, had not his professional
duties prevented, would have probably become his party's representative
in many of the higher offices in its gift. He was a lifelong Democrat
and on several occasions served as township treasurer, but the duties of
his profession precluded but little more than a good citizen's attention
to public affairs. He found time, however, to lend his influence and
give support by word and purse to various public-spirited enterprises,
one of the most important of these being the building of the direct
railroad line from Upper Sandusky to Lima. Although a member of no
religious denomination, he was a liberal supporter of all, possessing
the broadened mind and trained understanding which enabled him to see
the good in every creed. Dr. Sager was charitable, in his daily life,
for years, practicing that Christian charity which perhaps, men of his
profession understand best of all. His memory is perpetuated in Allen
County in the hearts of those who knew him best and those who benefited
so often by his professional skill.
The late Dr. Sager was twice married. Prior to coming to Jackson
township, he was united to Hannah Custard, a daughter of Daniel Custard,
who became a merchant in Lima. She died in 1840, leaving one daughter,
Araminta, who married a Harrison Tingle and moved to the Pacific Coast,
where she died. The second marriage of Dr. Sager was to Bethiah
Gilbert, who was born in Vermont, September 2, 1820, and is a daughter
of Josiah Gilbert, who came to Allen County in 1840. She still
survives, an honored member of our subject's family. The children of
this marriage were: Newton, the subject of this sketch; Norval, who died
unmarried, in 1883; Annetta, who is the wife of Wesley Biterman, of
LaFayette; Norton, who lives on a farm in Jackson township; Lavina, who
is the wife of Doddridge Kinzie, of LaFayette; Mary Belle, who is the
wife of George B. Muir, living one mile north of LaFayette; and Nellie,
Arthur, Ina and Norman, who died in youth.
In closing the record relating to the late Dr. Sager, mention must
be made of his many years of active interest in the Masonic fraternity.
Soon after the organization of the Masonic lodge at Lima, he became a
member of that body and continued his interest in the order as long as
he lived. He was a charter member of Sager Lodge, No. 513, F. & A. M.,
at LaFayette, which was named in his honor.
Newton Sager, our immediate subject, was reared at LaFayette and
became a student in the village school when a child of six years. He
continued to study in the LaFayette schools until he was about 20 years
old, when he entered Baldwin University, at Berea, near Cleveland, Ohio,
where he remained one year. He then read medicine with his father for a
period of four years and went from this excellent instruction to the
University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. After several terms there, he
entered the medical department of the University of Worcester, at
Cleveland, where he was graduated and received a diploma in February,
After graduation Dr. Sager returned to LaFayette and entered into
practice with is father, at first relieving the older physician, who was
beginning to feel the weight of years, of his heavier duties and
gradually taking over the larger burden of the practice, continuing the
partnership until the close of the father's life. Dr. Sager is a
regular general practitioner and, by his fellow-citizens, has been
deemed worthy to take his father's place. His methods are those of the
younger school of practitioners and his reputation is that of an eminent
man in his profession.
In April, 1871, Dr. Sager was united in marriage with Sarah M.
Hughes, of Knox County, Ohio, who is a daughter of Hiram and Emily
(Lane) Hughes, who came to Ohio from Connecticut. They have two
daughters Grace and Georgiana. The former married John E. Myers, of
LaFayette, and has one daughter, Evadne. The latter married Albertson
Watt, of LaFayette, and has two children Namona and Rodney. The family
has always been a leading one of this section and is prominent socially.
Like his late father, Dr. Sager is identified with the Democratic
party and for years has been more of less a leader of its movements in
this locality. He has served three terms as township treasurer. He
belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a member of Sager Lodge, No.
513, F. & A. M., which was named for his father who was instrumental in
having it established at LaFayette.
CARL W. E. BOEGEL
CARL W. E. BOEGEL., proprietor of the Star Carpet
Cleaning Works, at No. 430 North Pierce street, Lima, has been a
resident of this city for the past 14 years. He was born in
Hesse-Nassau, Germany, November 16, 1866, and came to America in 1890.
Mr. Boegel was educated in his native land, and there learned the
tanning business, at which he worked in Athens, Ohio. From Athens he
came to Lima, in April, 1892, and for three years was in the employ of
Schultheis Brothers, tanners. In order to perfect himself in America
business methods, he then took a course in the Lima Business College.
Shortly afterward he established the Star Carpet Cleaning Works. In
this establishment all the cleansing is done by compressed air it being
the first of its kind in this section, if not in the State. The use of
compressed air has completely revolutionized the industry, and Mr.
Boegel's enterprised has met with most satisfying results the new method
being acknowledged as both labor- saving and sanitary. Mr. Boegel has
also both oil and real estate interests and is one of the city's
On September 7, 1893, Mr. Boegel was married to Barbara Stelzer who
was born in Rhein-Hessen Germany and was 11 years old when her parents
brought her to America. They located at Spencerville, Ohio, where she
was reared. Mr. and Mrs. Boegel have two children Katharina Christina
and Elizabeth Ruth. The family belongs to the German Reformed Church, in
which Mr. Boegel has been Sunday-school superintendent for over four
years. His fraternal associations are with the Knights of Pythias and
the Masons, being a Knight Templar. With his wife he belongs to the
Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Boegel is a man whose honorable busines
methods and straight-forward, exemplary life have brought him the
respect and confidence of his fellow- citizens. His portrait
accompanies this sketch.
F. E. WOOD
F. E. WOOD, one of the leading contractors and
builders at Lima, of which city he has been a resident for the past 13
years, was born in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, in 1872, and is a
son of John Wood.
The father of Mr. Wood still survives and is engaged in farming.
During the Civil War he was a soldier in the Army of Virginia and for 18
months was a prisoner of war at Fort Delaware.
F. E. Wood was reared and educated in Virginia and after completing
the common- school course pursued a special course in civil engineering,
under the well-known instructor, Professor Taylor, following that
profession in his native State for three years. IN 1892 Mr. Wood came
to Lima and turned his attention to general contracting and building,
meeting with very satisfactory success. He has erected many of the
substantial buildings of the city, among which may be mentioned the
Stamets Block, the Blattenberg flats, the Campbell Block, and the Golly
& Finley Iron Works. He is thoroughly conversant with his business and
has won the entire confidence of the building world.
Mr. Wood was married, in 1899, to Susie Schell, who is a daughter of
Jacob Schell, of Upper Sandusky. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have three children
Serelda, Thelma and Corola. Fraternally Mr. Wood is an Odd Fellow.
WALTER S. MILLS
S. MILLS, chief of police at Lima, is one of
the city's reliable, valued and respected citizens. He was born in 1869
in Amanda Township, Allen County, Ohio, and is a son of Squire and Maria
Jane (Sutton) Mills.
Rev. Nathan Mills, the grandfather of Mr. Mills, was born in 1764,
and became a well- known teacher and Quaker preacher. Prior to 1824 he
moved to Noble County, Ohio, and in that year the father of our subject
was born. In 1835 with the first settlers Squire Mills came to Allen
County and has seen it converted from a wilderness into a fertile
farming country. He cleared the land on which the Metropolitan Block in
Lima now stands, as well as the tract from that point north to the
Pennsylvania Railroad. He still owns the 80-acre tract of land which he
received from Congress and preserves as an interesting relic the old
parchment deed. Mr. Mills, who is 81 years of age, now resides in
Amandatownship, being its oldest voter, and next to the oldest resident.
He has always lived at peace with his neighbors, and takes pleasure in
the fact that he never was entangled in a single law suit. In his day
those things were not honorable. Since the days of Andred Jackson Mr.
Mills has been deeply interested in politics. Formerly a strong Whig,
later e became an equally stanch Republican.
Mr. Mills married Maria Jane Sutton, a daughter of Thomas Sutton, who
was a pioneer along the Auglaize river and they reared a family of five
children, namely: Loretta, who is the wife of G. W. Morgoet, of Lima;
Thomas, who for some years has been a resident of Muncie, Indiana; Susan
D., who is the wife of Rev. J. H. Winans, a prominent Baptist clergyman
now located at Bellefontaine, Ohio; Annie V., who is the wife of J. M.
Reeves, of this county, formerly identified with a Chicago cream
separator company, also dealers in creamery supplies; and Walter S., of
Walter S. Mills was reared and educated in the schools of the county
and in the Ohio Normal University at Ada. He began his business career
by learning telegraphy in the office of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and
for a year prior to entering the university followed that occupation,
passing a like period in Indian Territory as a cattle herder and coal
After his experience as a telegrapher Mr. Mills entered the employ of
the Standard Oil Company and remained with that corporation for four
years, being at different times foreman of a pipe gang and in charge of
the still in an oil refinery. He was also employed by the LaFayette Car
Company for one year, in the car repairing department, and during that
period was in the shops at Pullman, Illinois. For some four years he
was with the freight department of the L. E & W. Railroad. In 1900 he
came to Lima, and for 14 months served as patrolman on the city police
force, and was then appointed chief of the department.
Mr. Mills married Lethia A. John, daughter of Jesse J. John, one of
the representative citizens of Elida and a pioneer of the county. They
have four children, viz: Anna J., Carlton J., Helen J., and Elizabeth
Avenella. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are members of Grace Methodist Episcopal
Church of Lima.
Politically Mr. Mills is a Republican and two years ago was
nominated for the position of sheriff of Allen County, but he declined
to make the canvass. He is a member of Garrett Wycoff Lodge, No. 585,
F. & A. M.; and of the Odd Fellows, Eagles, Maccabees and Pathfinders.