REV. DOMINIC ZINSMAYER
REV. DOMINIC ZINSMAYER, pastor of the Catholic Church
of St. John the Baptist, at Landeck, was born at Constance, Grand Duchy
of Baden, Germany, July 29, 1844.
From the college at Constance, Father Zinsmayer went to the schools
of Freiburg, where he completed his literary and theological training.
In 1869 he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Rappe, of the
diocese of Cleveland, Ohio. This prelate was at that time on his
journey to Rome to attend a council at the Vatican. A few weeks after
his ordination, Father Zinsmayer came to America, reaching New York in
February, 1870. He was domiciled for a short period at Brooklyn, New
York, and was then given charge of the Defiance missions under the
auspices of the Cleveland, Ohio, diocese. After 15 months of exhausting
labor in that charge, he became the first resident Catholic priest at
Bucyrus, Ohio, where he continued for six years.
Father Zinsmayer established schools at that point, erected a
church edifice and built a new parochial residence. From Bucyrus he was
transferred to the Shelby settlement of Richland County, where he
labored for seven years, during which time he succeeded in paying off
the church debt and in placing the church on a sound financial basis. He
also secured for the church there a fine pipe organ which cost $1,700.
His next charge was at Sheffield, Lorain County, Ohio, where he remained
11 years, and there, as at other points, he proved himself not only a
man of great spiritual power but also one of executive ability. When he
left that church, it had almost been transformed by improvement and he
is affectionately remembered by a large congregation. Since September
15, 1894, Father Zinsmayer has been pastor of the Church of St. John the
Baptist at Landeck.
The church to which Father Zinsmayer came in 1894 was organized in
1866. The father of the movement was Peter Gengler, one of the zealous
churchmen of his day, the father of Dominick N. Genzler, justice of the
peace at Landeck. He soon interested others and a frame building was
erected under the charge of Rev. F. Westerholt, who came here at stated
seasons from Delphos, being pastor of the Church of St. John the
Evangelist of that city and the successor of Rev. John Otto Bredeick,
who was the founder of the Catholic Church at Delphos. At that time
Landeck had about 40 Catholic residents. Father Seltzer became the
regular pastor, and he was succeeded by Father Brem and he by Rev. J. B.
Heiland. The latter officiated for some years and was followed by a
priest who remained but a few months, and then Father Zinsmayer took
When Father Zinsmayer came to this charge, he realized that the
first need was a new church. He had saved $7,000 and this he contributed
and by a general subscription a sufficient sum was realized to enable
the parish to build the present handsome edifice, which has but $7,000
indebtedness upon it, the sum of $33,000 having been paid. No
descriptive words can give an adequate idea of the beauty and structural
dignity of this building. It is constructed of brick with stone
trimmings, in 13th century Gothic style. The steeple is 150 feet high.
The interior of the Church is architecturally beautiful and is adorned
with rare works of art of a Scriptural design; the whole place is heated
by steam and a fine pipe organ has been placed. A new brick schoolhouse
has also been built to accommodate 52 pupils, this being but one of the
four schools the parish supports. In 1877 the parochial residence was
The present church edifice was dedicated July 31, 1904, by Bishop
Hartsman of Cleveland, the corner-stone having been laid in 1902. It
has been conceded that this church in its almost priceless interior
furnishings, including pictures and statuary by masters in art, has no
equal outside the large cities. The windows in particular, gifts from
different members of the congregation, are most beautiful, one of these
having been dedicated by Father Zinsmayer, representing Saint Dominic
receiving the Rosary from the Blessed Virgin Mary. Another window
represents the Holy Family.
The congregation includes 115 families at present and the new church
has a seating capacity for 750 individuals. Father Zinsmayer has opened
all the usual avenues for religious and material progression, including
an alter society of 100 members and a sodality of 40 members, and gives
encouragement to the Catholic Knights of Ohio and the Ladies of Ohio,
which have about 35 members.
B. F. MATTHEWS
B. F. MATTHEWS, a well- known architect of Lima, whose
fine professional work may be seen on many of the city's busy streets
and attractive avenues, is a native of Ohio, having been born in Perry
From childhood until he was 14 years of age Mr. Matthews lived upon
his father's farm in Athens County, and then went to Nelsonville, where
he completed his high school course and resided until he was 30 years
old. After leaving school he learned the carpenter's trade and was
employed for a prolonged period in a planning mill and in various
building operations, thus becoming interested in mechanical drawing and
designing and discovering that he possessed considerable talent in this
direction. In 1891 determined to give serious attention to these
professional lines and went to Columbus, where he engaged as draughtsman
and superintendent with John Flynn, a well-known architect of that city.
He remained with that gentleman for three years, and during that period
of study assisted in making designs for a number of important structures
of that city, including six fire department buildings and St. Mary's
When prepared to enter the field as a competent architect, he formed
a partnership with H. C. Jones, as association which continued in force
for one year. From 1895 until 1898, Mr. Matthews pursued his
professional work alone at Columbus, where he had many commissions, both
in the city and in the surrounding towns. In 1899 he opened an office
in the Cincinnati Block in Lima, and for the past six years has given
his best efforts to the people of this city. He employs two
draughtsmen, and he is kept busy designing and superintending the
construction of buildings. In a long list of substantial business and
public buildings and elegant, tasteful homes credited to Mr. Matthews,
may be mentioned the following: City Market House; the grand stand at the
Lima Driving Park; the pavilion at McCullough Lake; the Adgate Building;
Dr. Johnson's fine residence apartments and the handsome homes of W. S.
East, A. L. White, Dr. W. B. Van Note, W T. Agerter, E. M. Gooding, R.
T. Gregg, O. W. Bell and George Mehaffey.
Mr. Matthews was married in 1886 to Lizzie Powell, of Nelsonville,
Ohio, and they have three sons, H. Orville, Lewis Powell and Burl
Mr. Matthews is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Nelsonville,
and is the designer and superintendent of the $20,000 building now being
erected by the order at that place.
COURTLAND CARL, one of the prominent merchants of
Lima, who has been established here for the past eight years, was born
in Clermont County, Ohio, in May, 1860, and is a son of Thomas Carl,
formerly of Cincinnati.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native locality, and
began his business life as a clerk in a grocery store at Scott's
Crossing, this county. After four years of training, he removed to
Cincinnati, There he was connected with the street car system for six
years, then embarked in a gasoline and oil business, and for two years
controlled a dressed poultry business. In August, 1897, he came to this
locality, was engaged in a meat business for some 14 months in South
Lima, and then exchanged his stand there for his present grocery and
meat business, favorably located on the corner of Central Avenue and
North Street, Lima. In addition to all the standard and fancy groceries
and meats, Mr. Carl transacts a large business in country produce. He
is vice-president and a director of the wholesale fruit house of The
Lusk Brothers Company.
In 1882 Mr. Carl was married to Hattie Scott, who is a daughter of
W. B. Scott, of Scott's Crossing, her family being among the pioneers of
that section of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Carl have two sons, viz:
Clifton, who is in the employ of The Lima Gas Light Company, and Scott,
who is still in school. Mr. Carl is an Odd Fellow.