CARL W. E. BOEGEL
CARL W. E. BOEGEL, proprietor of the Star Carpet
Cleaning Works, at No. 430 North Pierce street, Lima, has been a
resident of this city for the past 14 years. He was born in
Hesse-Nassau, German, November 16, 1866, and came to America in 1890.
Mr. Boegel was educated in his native land, and there learned the
tanning business, at which he worked in Athens, Ohio. From Athens he
came to Lima, in April, 1892, and for three years was in the employ of
Schultheis Brothers, tanners. In order to perfect himself in American
business methods, he then took a course in the Lima Business College.
Shortly afterward he established the Star Carpet Cleaning Works. In
this establishment all the cleansing is done by compressed air it being
the first of its kind in this section, if not in the State. The use of
compressed air has completely revolutionized the industry, and Mr.
Boegel's enterprise has met with most satisfying results the new method
being acknowledged as both oil and real estate interests and is one of
the city's substantial men.
On September 7, 1893, Mr. Boegel was married to Barbara Stelzer who
was born in Rhein-Hessen Germany and was 11 years old when her parents
brought her to America. They located at Spencerville, Ohio, where she
was reared. Mr. and Mrs. Boegel have two children Katharina Christina
and Elizabeth Ruth. The family belong to the German Reformed Church, in
which Mr. Boegel has been Sunday-school superintendent for over four
years. His fraternal associations are with the Knights of Pythias and
the Masons, being a Knight Templar. With his wife he belongs to the
Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Boegel is a man whose honorable business
methods and straight-forward, exemplary life have brought him the
respect and confidence of his fellow- citizens. His portrait accompanies
F. E. Wood
F. E. Wood, one of the leading contractors and
builders at Lima, of which city he has been a resident for the past 13
years, was born in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, in 1872, and is a
son of John Wood.
The father of Mr. Wood still survives and is engaged in farming.
During the Civil War he was a soldier in the Arm of Virginia and for 18
months was a prisoner of war at Fort Delaware.
F. E. Wood was reared and educated in Virginia and after completing
the common- school course pursued a special course in civil engineering,
under the well-known instructor, Professor Taylor, following that
profession in his native State for three years. In 1892 Mr. Wood came
to Lima and turned his attention to general contracting and building,
meeting with very satisfactory success. He has erected many of the
substantial buildings of the city, among which may be mentioned the
Stamets Block, the Blattenberg flats, the Campbell Block, and the Golly
& Finley Iron Works. He is thoroughly conversant with his business and
has won the entire confidence of the building world.
Mr. Wood was married, in 1899, to Susie Schell, who is a daughter of
Jacob Schell, of Upper Sandusky. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have three children
Serelda, Thelma and Corola. Fraternally Mr. Wood is an Odd Fellow.
WALTER S. MILLS
WALTER S. MILLS, chief of police at Lima, is one of
the city's reliable, valued and respected citizens. He was born in 1869
in Amanda township, Allen County, Ohio, and is a son of Squire and Maria
Jane (Sutton) Mills.
Rev. Nathan Mills, the grandfather of Mr. Mills, was born in 1764,
and became a well-known teacher and Quaker preacher,. Prior to 1824 he
moved to Noble County, Ohio, and in that year the father of our subject
was born. In 1835 with the first settlers Squire Mills came to Allen
County and has seen it converted from a wilderness into a fertile
farming country. He cleared the land on which the Metropolitan Block in
Lima now stands, as well as the tract from that point north to the
Pennsylvania Railroad. He still owns the 80 acre tract of land which he
received from Congress and preserves as an interesting relic the old
parchment deed. Mr. Mills, who is 81 years of age, now resides in
Amanda township, being its oldest voter, and next to the oldest
resident. He has always lived at peace with his neighbors, and takes
pleasure in the fact that he never was entangled in a single law suit.
In his day those things were not honorable Since the days of Andred
Jackson Mr. Mills has been deeply interested in politics. Formerly a
strong Whig, later he became an equally stanch Republican.
Mr. Mills married Maria Jane Sutton, a daughter of Thomas Sutton,
who was a pioneer along the Auglaize river and they reared a family of
five children, namely: Loretta, who is the wife of G. W. Morgoet, of
Lima; Thomas, who for some years has been a resident of Muncie, Indiana;
Susan E., who is the wife of Rev. J. H. Winans, a prominent Baptist
clergyman now located at Bellefontaine, Ohio; Annie V., who is the wife
of J. M. Reeves, of this county, formerly identified with Chicago cream
separator company, also dealers in creamery supplies; and Walter S., of
Walter S. Mills was reared and educated in the schools of the county
and in the Ohio Normal University at Ada. He began his business career
by learning telegraphy in the office of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and
for a year prior to entering the university followed that occupation,
passing a like period in Indian Territory as a cattle herder and coal
After his experience as a telegrapher Mr. Mills entered the employ of
the Standard Oil Company and remained with that corporation for four
years, being at different times foreman of a pipe gang and in charge of
the still in an oil refinery. He was also employed by the LaFayette Car
Company for one year, in the car repairing department, and during that
period was in the shops at Pullman, Illinois. For some four years he
was with the freight department of the L. E. & W. Railroad. In 1900 he
came to Lima, and for 14 months served as patrolman of the city police
force, and was then appointed chief of the department.
Mr. Mills married Lethia A. John, daughter of Jesse J. John, one of
the representative citizens of Elida and a pioneer of the county. They
have four children, viz: Anna J., Carlton J., Helen J., and Elizabeth
Avenella. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are members of Grace Methodist Episcopal
Church at Lima.
Politically Mr. Mills is a Republican and two years ago was
nominated for the position of sheriff of Allen County, but he declined
to make the canvass. He is a member of Garrett Wycoff Lodge, No. 585,
F. & A. M. ; and of the Odd Fellows, Eagles, Maccabees and Pathfinders.
REV. DOMINIC ZINSMAYER
REV. DOMINIC ZINSMAYER, pastor of the Catholc Church
of St. John the Baptist, at Landeck, was born at Constance, Grand Duchy
of Baden, Germany, July 19, 1844.
From the college at Constance, Father Zinsmayer went to the schools
of Freiburg, where he completed his literary and theological training.
In 1869 he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Rappe, of the
diocese of Cleveland, Ohio. This prelant was at that time on his
journey to Rome at attend a council at the Vatican. A few weeks after
his ordination, Father Zinsmayer came to America, reaching New York, and
was then given charge of the Defiance missions under the auspices of the
Cleveland, Ohio, diocese. After 15 months of exhausting labor in that
charge, he became the first resident Catholic priest at Bucyrus, Ohio,
where he continued for six years.
Father Zinsmayer established schools at that point, erected a church
edifice and built a new parochial residence. From Bucyrus he was
transferred to the Shelby settlement of Richland County, where he
labored for seven years, during which time he succeeded in paying off
the church debt and in placing the church on a sound financial basis.
He also secured for the church there a fine pipe organ which cost
$1,700. His next charge was at Sheffield, Lorain County, Ohio, where he
remained 11 years, and there, as at other points, he proved himself not
only a man of great spiritual power but also one of executive ability.
When he left that church, it had almost been transformed by improvement
and he is affectionately remembered by a large congregation. Since
September 15, 1894, Father Zinsmayer has been paster of the Church of
St. John the Baptist at Landeck.
The church to which Father Zinsmayer came in 1894 was organized in
1866. The father of the movement was Peter Genzler, one of the zealous
churchmen of his day, the father of Dominick N. Genzler, justice of
peace at Landeck. He soon interested others and a frame building was
erected under the charge of Rev. F. Westerholt, who came here at stated
seasons from Delphos, being pastor of the Church of St. John the
Evangelist of that city and the successor of Rev. John Otto Bredeick,
who was the founder of the Catholic Church at Delphos. At that time
Landeck had about 40 Catholic residents. Faher Seltzer became the
regular pastor, and he was suceeded by Father Brem and he by Rev. J. B.
Heiland. The latter officiated for some years and was followed by a
priest who remained but a few months, and then Father Zinsmayer took
When Father Zinsmayer came to this charge, he realized that the
first need was a new church. He had saved $7,000 and this he
contributed and by a general subscription sufficient sum was realized to
enable the parish to build the present handsome edifice, which has but
$7,000 indebtedness upon it, the sum of $33,000 having been paid. No
descriptive words can give an adequate idea of the beauty and structural
dignity of this building. It is constructed of brick with stone
trimmings, in 13th century Gothic style. The steeple is 150 feet high.
The interior of the Church is architecturally beautiful and is adorned
with rare works of art of a Scriptural design; the whole place is heated
by steam and a fine pipe organ has also been built to accommodate 52
pupils, this being but one of the four schools the parish supports. In
1877 the parochial residence was built.
The present church edifice was dedicated July 31, 1904, by Bishop
Hartman of Cleveland, the corner-stone having been laid in 1902. It has
been conceded that this church in its almost priceless interior
furnishings, including pictures and statuary by masters in art, has no
equal outside the large cities. The windows in particular, gifts from
different members of the congregation, are most beautiful, one of these
having ben dedicated by Father Zinsmayer, representing Saint Dominic
receiving the Rosary from the Blessed Virgin Mary. Anther window
represents the Holy Family.
The congregation includes 115 families at present and the new church
has a seating capacity for 750 individuals. Father Zinsmayer has opened
all the usual avenues for religious and material progression, including
an alter society of 100 members and a sodality of 40 members, and gives
encouragement to the Catholic Knights of Ohio and the Ladies of Ohio,
which have about 35 members
B. F. MATTHEWS
B. F. MATTHEWS, a well- known architect of Lima, whose
fine professional work may be seen on many of the city's busy streets
and attractive avenues, is a native of Ohio, having been born in Perry
From childhood until he was 14 years of age Mr. Matthews lived upon
his father's farm in Athens County, and then went to Nelsonville, where
he completed his high school course and resided until he was 30 years
old. After leaving school he learned the carpenter's trade and was
employed for a prolonged period in a planing mill and in various
building operations, thus becoming interested in mechanical drawing and
designing and discovering that he possessed considerable talent in this
direction. In 1891 he determined to give serious attention to these
professional lines and went to Columbus, where he engaged as draughtsman
and superintendent with John Flynn, a well- known architect of that
city. He remained with that gentleman for three years, and during that
period of study assisted in making designs for a number of important
structures of that city, including six fire department buildings and St.
When prepared to enter the field as a competent architect, he formed
a partnership with H. C. Jones, an association which continued in force
for one year. From 1895 until 1898, Mr. Matthews pursued his
professional work alone at Columbus, where he had many commissions, both
in the city and in the surrounding towns. In 1899 he opened an office
in the Cincinnati Block in Lima, and for the past six years has given
his best efforts to the people of this city. He employs two
draughtsmen, and he is kept busy designing and superintending the
construction of buildings. In a long list of substantial business and
public buildings and elegant, tasteful homes cedited to Mr. Matthews,
may be mentioned the following: City Market House; the grand stand at
the Lima Driving Park; the pavilion at McCullaugh Lake; the Adgate
Building; Dr. Johnson's fine residence apartments and the handsome homes
of W. S. East, A. L. White, Dr. W. B. Van Note, W. T. Agerter, E. M.
Gooding, R. T. Gregg, O. W. Bell and George Mehaffey.
Mr. Matthews was married in 1886 to Lizzie Powell, of Nelsonville,
Ohio, and they have three sons, H. Orville, Lewis Powell and Burl
Mr. Matthews a member of the Knights of Pythias at Nelsonville, and
is the designer and superintendent of the $20,000 building not being
erected by the order at that place.
COURTLAND CARL, one of the prominent merchants of
Lima, who has been established here for the past eight years, was born
in Clermont County, Ohio, in May, 1860, and is a son of Thomas Carl,
formerly of Cincinnati.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native locality, and
began his business life as a clerk in a grocery store at Scott's
Crossing, this county. After four years of training, he removed to
Cincinnati. There he was connected with the street car system for six
years, then embarked in a gasoline and oil business, and for two years
controlled a dressed poultry locality, was engaged in a meat business for
some 14 months in South Lima, and then exchanged his stand there for his
present grocery and meat business, favorably located on the corner of
Central avenue and North street, Lima. In addition to all the standard
and fancy groceries and meats, Mr. Carl transacts a large business in
country produce. He is vice-president and a director of the wholesale
fruit house of The Lusk Brothers Company.
In 1882 Mr. Carl was married to Hattie Scott, who is a daughter of W.
B. Scott, of Scott's Crossing, her family being among the pioneers of
that section of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Carl have two sons, viz:
Clifton, who is in the employ of The Lima Gas Light Company, and Scott,
who is still in school. Mr. Carl is an Odd Fellow.