DAVID EZEKIEL HOVER
DAVID EZEKIEL HOVER, a well-known resident of Shawnee
township, where he carries on general farming and stock raising on his
estate situated in sections 14 and 15, was born November 22, 1837, in an
old Indian cabin in Shawnee township, and is a son of Emanuel Hover.
Ezekiel Hover, the grandfather of our subject, with his brothers,
Emanuel and Joseph, who at an early date had removed from Pennsylvania
to Trumbull County, Ohio, settled in Allen County in May, 1833. All
married members of the Adgate family. The children of Ezekiel and
Sarah (Adgate) Hover were: Emanuel, born May 18, 1808; Maria Belinda,
born December 15, 1809, who married Abraham Boyd; Sarah Ann, born
February 9, 1818, who married Amos Alvord; Caroline, born March 18,
1814, who died young; St. Clair, born September 13, 1815; Charles
Adgate, May 13, 1818; Newton, born December 18, 1820; Columbia Ann, born
October 7, 1827, who married George Lathrop; and William Ulysses, born
March 18, 1830.
In 1836 Emanuel Hover returned to Trumbull County, and after
marrying Margaret Carlisle in that year, located in Amanda township,
Allen County. He lived at Fort Amanda, in 1837, and then settled in
Shawnee township, residing in the log cabin which his father had
occupied before him, After Emanuel Hover's death in 1840, his widow
returned to Trumbull County, and in 1849 was married to Jonathan Howard.
She celebrated her 89th birthday on December 18, 1905, and still retains
her faculties, encumbered by few physical ailments. The parents of our
subject had two children David Ezekiel and Sarah Ann. The latter was
born in August, 1839. She taught school at Lima in 1861 and 1862,
married John Hanson and died in 1881.
In 1840, at the death of his father, David E. Hover went to live with
his grandfather, residing with the latter and an uncle until 1860. On
December 18th of this year he married Susan Boyd, who was born in
Mahoning County, Ohio, and died in 1886. She was a daughter of John
Boyd, who moved from Mahoning to this county. The five children of the
above marriage were: Charles Adgate, born November 22, 1861, who resides
on a farm adjoining his father; Frank M., born October 13, 1863, who
died October 8, 1865; a third child, who died in infancy; Margaret Anna,
born March 3, 1868, who resides at home; and Howard B., born March 3,
868, who is a druggist at Lima.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. David E. Hover commenced
housekeeping in the old Shawnee Council House, but two years later came
to the present farm in sections 14 and 15. The land was partly cleared,
but Mr. Hover has made all the improvements. He has given much
attention to the growing of sheep, and shortly after the Civil War, in
1870, sold wool at 90 cents a pound. He is one of the township's
reliable citizens, and at various times, has been appointed to a number
of honorable positions. Since 1895 he has been a trustee of the
Children's Home. He is secretary and clerk, as well as trustee, of the
Shawnee Cemetery. Politically he is a Republican, and cast his first
presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.
WILLIAM F. MOHLER
WILLIAM F. MOHLER, a prominent farmer residing in
section 24, Shawnee township, was born in Pennsylvania, November 12,
1841. His father, Henry Mohler, came to Ohio from Pennsylvania and
later moved to Indiana, where he died. William F. Mohler has been
engaged in farming for many years with very successful results.
Mr. Mohler married Mrs. Mary (Spyker) Sharp and is the father of two
sons, Clarence and John Roscoe. Clarence married Clara Bradford and had
five children, all of whom are deceased. He is employed in the oil
field and resides at Wapakoneta. John Roscoe married Goldie Swyart and
lives at home.
Mrs. Mohler was born in 1840 on the Spyker homestead in section 25,
Shawnee township, and is a daughter of Samuel and a sister of Joel
Spyker, sketches of whom appear in this volume. Mary Spyker grew to
womanhood was married to Charles D. Meffley, a native of Allen County,
where his father, Peter Meffley, had located after leaving Pennsylvania.
The young couple made their home at Elida for a time, later moving to
Cridersville where Mr. Meffley conducted a dry goods and hardware store.
He was thus engaged when he died, about 1865, leaving his young widow,
before she had reached her 25th year, with two small children. The
elder child, Shelby Ellsworth Meffley, was born in Cridersville,
Auglaize County, Ohio, January 12, 1862, and is today the leading
merchant of that place, where he carries a large stock of staple and
fancy groceries and has an extensive patronage among the best citizens of
the community. He was married February 21, 1893, to Etta Tidd Spyker, a
most estimable lady, who was left an orphan in early childhood and
adopted by John Spyker. To this union five children were born, namely:
Charles Theodore, Edgar Allen ; Mary Elizabeth; Shelby E., Jr.; and
Catherine Gertrude. The younger son, George W. Meffley, was an infant
of seven weeks when his father died. He now resides at Ottawa, where he
conducts a dry goods store. He married Mary Ann DeFord of Ottawa and
they have six children living Samuel Fletcher DeFord, Gladys, George W.,
Robert, Harold and De Graces.
Mrs. Meffley was married to Dr. Hiram Miller, a native of New York,
who was practicing medicine at Cridersville. They had three children,
William W., deceased; Margaret M., deceased; and Charles, who married
Nellie Bitsler, and lives on a farm adjoining that of his mother. After
the death of Dr. Miller, his widow married Daniel Sharp, a native of
Columbus, Ohio, and a man of considerable property. They had two
children Frederick Henry, who married Dula Reichelderfer and resides at
Cridersville; and Eva Gertrude, who married Charles Berry. Mrs. Mohler
is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, whose faith has
strengthened her in her hours of adversity.
DAWSON & McLAUGHLIN
DAWSON & McLAUGHLIN, the beauty of any city is almost
entirely dependent upon the good taste of the architects who build the
city. After the great fire of London, in 1666, the authorities, wishing
to beautify and perfect the new city, engaged Sir Christopher Wren, the
architect fo St. Paul's to superintend the rebuilding of the great city.
Had this plan been fully carried out, London would be a far more
beautiful city today than it is.
The architecture of the city of Lima until in very recent years has
not had much to commend it. The dwellings have, in part lacked that
which constitute beauty to the eye.
Among the men who have studied architecture under the really great
masters is Charles Wilmott Dawson, born at Plainfield, New York,
December 10, 1867, who came to Lima about six years ago. Mr. Dawson
entered Haverford College, where he studied for two years, preparing for
his future professional work. He then matriculated at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, graduating from that noted institution in 1888.
Not content with his course of study thus pursued, he spent a full year
in careful study under the great Henry VanBrunt, at one time president
of the American Institute of Architects. Mr. Dawson has had 18 years of
successful professional work in various parts of America. He has
traveled widely, and has gained a thorough knowledge of his profession.
In Lima he has constructed the most prominent commercial buildings found
in the city today; these buildings are largely to his credit. Among
them is the extensive manufacturing plant of The Deisel-Wemmer Company,
the wholesale warehouse of The Moore Brothers Company, the Central
Building and the Renz Block. Mr. Dawson has also constructed a large
number of the most beautiful residences to be found in Lima, including
those of J. D. S. Neely, F. T. Cuthbert, Henry G. Wemmer, W. J. Wemmer,
W. K. Boone and G. E. Bluem. Mr. Dawson has long been noted for the
thoroughness with which he does his work.
He is unswervingly honest, painstaking and accurate. At the
beginning of the present year, 1906, Mr. Dawson associated with him in
the business, Thomas D. McLaughlin, a young man of great promise, who
was born at Oil City, New York, August 4, 1882. Mr. McLaughlin obtained
his first collegiate training at Lima College, Lima, Ohio, where he did
most excellent work. He then spent three years at Hamilton College, New
York, in careful preparation for professional work. Mr. McLaughlin then
became a pupil of the architectural department of Columbia University,
New York City, where he studied architecture for three years. He has
had experience in the various practical lines of architecture, at one
time being superintendent of construction for The Buckeye Pipe Line
The confidence which the people repose in this firm is further
shown by the fact that they have been unanimously selected by the
trustees of the Lima Library Association to construct the new $50,000
Carnegie Library. Such remarkable preparation and talent for the work
in hand is rarely found as in the firm of Dawson & McLaughlin.
WILLIAM L. PARMENTER
WILLIAM L. PARMENTER, a prominent attorney of Lima,
junior member of the law firm of Cable & Parmenter, can be claimed as a
product of this city, for here he was born on May 12, 1867, here
obtained a part of his education and here has met with professional
success. He is a son of the well-known citizen, Cornelius Parmenter,
who has been identified with journalism in this section for many years.
In 1884 William L. Parmenter was graduated form the Lima High School,
being recognized as one of its brilliant pupils. Two years later he
entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and was graduated from
the law department of that institution in 1888. In July of that year he
formed his present partnership with Davis J. Cable, adopting the present
firm style, and together these attorneys constitute one of the strongest
law firms in the city. Mr. Parmenter has been secured by a number of
corporations as special attorney, one of these being The Lima Trust
Company. His career has been followed with interest by old family
friends, and his many victories have been the cause of sincere
congratulation. He has interests outside his profession, including
banking and other business enterprises.
On June 2, 1891, Mr. Parmenter was married to Hattie A. Crippen, who
is a daughter of the late Milton, A. Crippen, and they have two
children, Warren C. and Mary E. Mr. Parmenter is a member of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
JOHN P, STAMETS
JOHN P, STAMETS, who was one of the honorable
men and old- time citizens of Lima, died here on April 26, 1897. He was
born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, July, 5, 1829. In his early
business life, Mr. Stamets left his native State and moved to Ohio,
where he resided in Wayne and Ashland counties. During the five years
prior to coming to Lima, he resided in Bucyrus, where he was engaged in
the dry goods business, In 1877 he located at Lima, engaging first in a
fardware business and later, in the sale of wagons and buggies. Failing
health induced im to dispose of many of his interests, several years
before his death. The deceased was a man of business principle and
commanded the respect of all associated with him.
On February 1, 1855, Mr. Stamets was married to Malinda Kern, who,
with one son, Lorin E., still survives him. For 45 years he was a
consistent member of the Lutheran Church, and alike in his religious,
business and social connections, his worth as an upright Christian man
was recognize. He was known as one of the city's most liberal
contributors to worthy objects of charity. In his political sentiments
he was a life-long Democrat.
Mr. Stamets was a large owner of real estate, and erected the
handsome flat building which bears his name, his widow and son residing
there in much comfort.
SAMUEL MOWERY is a substantial farmer who owns and
cultivates 80 acres of fine land in section 36, Bath township, and is
also proprietor of a farm of 60 acres in Perry township. He was born
January 17,1855, in Pickaway County, Ohio, and is a son of Samuel and
Elizabeth (Gensell) Mowery, both of whom were natives of the county
The family is of Pennsylvania-Dutch stock, although Jacob Mowery, the
grandfather of our subject, was born in Virginia. From that State he
migrated to Pickaway County, and later settled in Allen County, where he
died at the age of 80 years. He and all his children spoke the German
language, and were upright, honorable men and women, whose descendants
today are among the most highly esteemed residents of this county.
Samuel Mowery, Sr., was born in Pickaway County, this State, about
1819, being one of a family of 17 children, eight of whom became
residents of Allen County, viz: Jerry, Amos, Isaac, Joseph, Samuel,
Kate, Esther and Lydia. In early life he learned the tailor's trade, in
which he engaged until after his marriage, when he turned his attention
to farming, at which he was very successful. He came to the county
about 1858 and purchased a tract of land, for the payment of which he
was obliged to mortgage his property for $1,500. Soon after this he
contracted consumption, as the result of an attack of the measles, and
died in his 40th year 18 months after coming to this county. The
deceased left a widow and eight children, viz: John F., of Henry
County, Ohio; Jacob, of Bath township; Henry, of Henry County; Samuel;
Susan, now deceased; Leanna, wife of M. L. Whip, of West Cairo; and
Caroline and Cassie, both deceased. Some years after Mr. Mowery's
death, his sons paid off the mortgage on the farm and continued the
cultivation of the property. Mr. Mowery was a member of the Lutheran
Church and a man who enjoyed the respect of all who knew him. He was
married in Pickaway County to Elizabeth Gensell, born August 15, 1820,
and a remarkably well- preserved lady of 85 years, who resides with our
subject. She was married a second time to a Mr. Shuler by whom he had
one son, E. W. Shuler, a resident of Henry County.
Samuel Mowery, the subject of this biography, has been a resident of
Allen County since his third year, and for more than a quarter of a
century has resided on his present homestead, upon which he has erected
a modern residence, and convenient and commodious out-buildings.
He was married February 17, 1880, to Anna Hanthorn, of Perry
township, a daughter of (James) Ashby and Nancy (Daniels) Hanthorn.
They have no children. Mr. Mowery is a strong Democrat. He is a member
of the English Reformed church, of Jackson township, of which he has
been deacon for the past two years.
JOHN MARTIN, one of the best-known and oldest
business men of Lima, who has conducted a saddle and harness business
here for more than a quarter of a century, was born in Richland County,
Ohio, December 19, 1827, and is a son of Charles and Christiana
Charles Martin, father of our subject, was born in Germany and in
1820 became one of the early settlers of Richland County, Ohio, where he
remained until after the birth of his son John, removing then to
Crawford County. Some years later he located in Huron County, where he
lived until his death, which occurred about 1875. He reared a family of
five children, namely: Henry, John, Mary, George and Samuel.
John Martin obtained his education in the district schools of
Crawford and Huron counties and assisted his father in the operation of
the home farm until 1845, when he commenced to learn the saddle and
harness-maker's trade at Savannah, Ashland County, which was then in
Huron County. He finished his apprenticeship and became a journeyman at
Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio. Later he settled at Tiffin, Seneca
County, this State, where he engaged in business. In 1876 he came to
Lima and established himself at his present business site, No. 144 South
Main street, which is also his residence. Mr. Martin has seen Lima
expand from a town into a city, and in every legitimate enterprise has
assisted in its development. During all the years of his business life
he has enjoyed a satisfactory amount of patronage, since he has retained
his customers through honorable and intelligent dealings. It has been a
matter of pride with Mr. Martin to keep a complete stock of goods,
standard in every way, and to continue to conduct his business in the
same honorable way in which it was started. His stock is valued at
$3,000. He has survived many of the old business firms.
At Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio, Mr. Martin married Lucy K. Parker,
who was born in Hancock County, Ohio. Her father, who was a native of
New York State, was a farmer in the years of his early manhood, later
becoming an attorney. Mrs. Martin's mother was a native of
Pennsylvania. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin, of
whom three reached maturity, namely: C. F., born in Pleasant township,
Hancock County, Ohio, September 29, 1854, who is a resident of Ottawa,
Ohio; Samuel H., born in McComb, Ohio, February 10, 1857; Harry H., born
August 2, 1863, and who died May 23, 1896, and Eva May, born August 8,
1866, who is the wife of Wallace Landis, of Lima. Mr. Martin is a
HARISON HEFNER, a retired farmer residing at LaFayette
whose portrait is herewith shown, was for many years actively engaged in
farming and stock-raising. His homestead a tract of 200 acres is
situated in section 19, Jackson township. He also owns another farm of
200 acres. He is a native of Colerain township, Ross County, Ohio,
where he was born December 25, 1834, and is a son of Isaac and Mary
(May) Hefner, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania.
When a young man Isaac Hefner located in Ross County with is parents
being among its first white settlers. There he married Mary May. When
he came to Allen County with his wife and children in 1840, he was a
poor man, and could neither read nor write; but he possessed a shrewd
business sense which enabled him to see and take advantage of the
opportunities offered and which placed him among the leading men of his
time and section. On coming to this county, he entered 80 acres of land
from the government and dealt extensively in cattle. He added to his
acreage from time to time until he became a very large land owner. He
possessed at the time of his death about 1800 acres all of the land
being in Bath and Jackson townships. He was a Democrat, but did not
take an active part in politics. He was a member and liberal supporter
of the Reformed Church, furnishing the timber for the erection of the
first log church which was built. Later he donated the land when the
present edifice was erected for both church and cemetery, and
contributed to the building fund for the brick church. He passed away
in 1884 at the age of 75 years. His wife survived him many years, dying
in 1901 at the advanced age of 94 years. Two of their nine children
died in infancy. The seven who grew to maturity and are still living
are as follows: Jacob, of Jackson township, whose sketch appears
elsewhere in this work; Harison; Amos, of Auglaize township; Clarissa,
wife of Jacob Mowery, of Bath township; David, of Bath township; and
John and Albert, of Jackson township.
Harison Hefner has been a resident of Jackson township since his
sixth year. He remained with his parents until his marriage when he
purchased 37 1/2 acres of land in partnership with his brother Amos.
Later he bought his brother's share and converted the property into a
most desirable homestead by building an attractive brick residence and
two large barns, with other improvements to correspond. As he
prospered he added to the farm from time to time until he owned 1,000
acres, 120 of which was in Auglaize and 160 in Perry township, the
remainder being in Jackson. Most of this large tract has been turned
over to his children; he still retains 400 acres, 200 being included in
the homestead. He has been a successful breeder of thoroughbred
shorthorn cattle for many years.
On April 30, 1861, Mr. Hefner and Mahala Ice where joined in marriage.
She was a daughter of Samuel Ice and a native of Auglaize township,
Allen County, Ohio. Her death, which occurred December 22, 1901, at the
age of 60 years, was felt as a personal loss by all who knew her. Her
children were as follows: Anna, wife of Lige Frederick; Charles E.;
Samuel Martin, deceased; John G., deceased; Jennie Alice, wife of Jacob
Bogot; Brice B.; Willard; and Harry H., who cultivates the homestead
farm. Mr. Hefner has been a life- long Democrat, and has served as
trustee of his township for three years. He is a member of the Reformed
Church and one of the most influential men of Allen County.