JASPER L. COCHRUN
JASPER L. COCHRUN, one of Amanda township's leading
citizens and substantial farmers, resides on his home farm of 101 acres
in section 10, his place being known as the "old Archelaus Martin farm;"
he also owns 179 acres in Auglaize County. Mr. Cochrun was born in
Amanda township, February 1, 1859, and is a son of Simon and Lucinda
(Miller) Cochrun, a grandson of Wesley Cohrun and a Great-grandson of
Rev. Simon Cochrun.
Rev. Simon Cochrun was a Revolutionary soldier, and for almost half
a century was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. His birth
occurred about 1756, in Kentucky, and he died in this county in 1845,
aged 89 years, 11 months and 6 days. He had three sons, one of these,
Wesley, becoming the grandfather of Jasper L.Cochrun.
In 1832 Wesley Cochrun settled on a farm some four miles from Lima,
on which he resided until the close of his life, at the age of 88 years.
Of his large family, seven reached maturity; John, Simon, William,
Rebecca, Susan, Jane and Sarah. Simon Cochrun, father of our subject,
was born in Ohio in 1822 and died February 11, 1895, at his home in
Amanda township, where he had settled in 1855, when our subject was four
years old. For many years he was a teacher in the local schools and was
a man much honored by the entire community. He married Lucinda Miller,
a daughter of William and Nancy Miller, and five children were born to
them namely: James, Lambert Y., William , Elizabeth, and Jasper L.
Jasper L. Cochrun was reared on the home farm, attended the common
schools of Amanda township, and preparatory to teaching enjoyed two
terms at the Ohio Normal University at Ada in 1877 and 1878. He was 19
years old when he commenced teaching and continued in the profession for
five consecutive years. He then entered into partnership with his
oldest brother, James Cochrun, under the firm name of Cochrun Brothers,
engaging in the buying and selling of stock and the raising of cattle
and hogs. His brother later removed to Spencerville and engaged in
business there, but our subject has remained on the farm and has carried
on extensive farming and stock-dealing operations for a number of years.
He buys and ships from two to four car-loads of stock a week, and keeps
from 20 to 50 head of cattle, being one of the leading stockmen of his
part of the county.
In June, 1881, Mr. Cochrun was married to Catherine Belle Cameron,
who is a daughter of James and Sarah (Borsock) Cameron, both of whom are
deceased. Mrs. Cochrun is one of a large family and was born at
Spencerville, February 28, 1859. Of the four children born to our
subject and wife, three survive: Paul Wesley, James Lee and Helen Ruth.
They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Cochrun
is a trustee. Both he and his wife take an active part in church work
and he has served as Sunday-school superintendent and class leader. He
was only 17 years old when he united with this church, and but two
survive who then were members. He has seen many changes in his section
of the county and has done his full share in bringing about its
development and improvement. For many years he has been a member of the
Knights of Pythias.
SCOTT T. RUMBAUGH
SCOTT T. RUMBAUGH, who owns a five farm of 114 acres,
situated in section 32, German township, was born in Bath township, this
county, on October 13, 1859, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary Jane
Benjamin Rumbaugh, father of our subject, was also a native of Bath
township. He died at Lima, in February, 1903, and was buried in
Greenlawn Cemetery. The mother of our subject still survives and
resides at Lima.
Scott T. Rumbaugh was reared and educated in Bath township, and
remained there until he was 25 years old, when he came to Lima and
secured work in the L. E. & W. Railroad shops. In 1902 Mr. Rumbaugh
bought the five farm which he now occupies, and in 1905 erected the
handsome residence which is the family home, the old farm house being
occupied by his son-in-law, Charles Smith.
On December 25, 1884, Mr. Rumbaugh was united in marriage, at
Allentown, with Rachel Coon, who is a daughter of Wesley and Caroline
(Craft) Coon, and a sister of Mrs. W. H. Benedum. The Coons were very
early settlers of Allen County, locating in the vicinity of
Mr. and Mrs. Rumbaugh have two children living, viz: Tressie, born
June 22, 1887, who was married April 11, 1903, to Charles Smith, and has
one child Frank, born October 9, 1904; and Pauline, born May 15, 1900.
a twin boy and girl, Nellie and Edgar, born June 13, 1895, lived but a
Mr. Rumbaugh and wife are members of the United Brethren Church at
Allentown, and accord it liberal support. He is a member of the Knights
of the Maccabees.
HOMER CLARK BENNETT
HOMER CLARK BENNETT, M. D., M. E., Ph. G., D. P ., M.
Ph., editor and publisher of The Electro- Therapeutist, a monthly
journal of electricity as applied in medicine and surgery issued at
Lima, a member of the faculty of the National College of
Electro-Therapeutists, and an author of numerous works on
electro-medical treatment, is one of the leading physicians in his
school of practice. Dr. Bennett was born in 1865, in Georgetown, Brown
County, Ohio, and is one of a family of three children born to his
parents, the late Rev. Silas Bennett, A. M., D. D., an eminent divine,
and Catherine K. (Clark) Bennett.
Dr. Bennett's education along literary lines was liberal, including
the common and high scchool courses, at Batavia, Woodward High School,
at Cincinnati, and Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio. After
leaving college, he was trained in business methods for two years at
Bellefontaine, Ohio. For four year, 1886-89, Dr. Bennett was engaged
almost continuously in laboratory and medical study and he received
medical derees and diplomas from the medical department of the
University of Wooster (now Delaware), Cleveland, Ohio, in 1888; from the
medical department of the University of Cincinnati (the Medical College
of Ohio), in 1889, at the latter institution winning the coveted Dawson
prize, and handsome gold medal for the best surgical dissection. This
was but the first of many honors won.
During these four years of study and close application, for five
months he served as director of the Clinical Medical Dispensary in
Cleveland, and for 10 weeks as chief dispensary clerk of the Medical
College of Ohio at Cincinnati.
In 1888 Dr. Bennett located for the practice of medicine at
Bellefontaine, Ohio, entering into partnership with his preceptor, Edwin
A. Swan, M. D., M. E., e of the best diagnosticians in the State.
This connection brought the young physician into a large and varied
general practice, an advantage he duly appreciated. While her he first
made a special study of diseases of the eye and refractive errors and
has already won attention by his careful and thoughtful methods, when he
became still more deeply interested in the then young science of
electro-therapeutics, and soon took up work on that line, recognizing
its great value from the beginning. In search of a wider field for his
operations he removed to Lima in 1889, and this city has ben his home
ever since (except for an interval of 10 months in 1896), and here he
has won honors and reaped large financial rewards. During the interval
above mentioned, Dr. Bennett served as superintendent of a large
mineral-water bath and electric cure sanitarium, in Indiana.
Dr. Bennett's success in his chosen line, as exhibited in his
successful experiments and his useful inventions of electrodes and
apparatus, as well as his numerous contributions to the medical and
electrical press, attracted the faculty of the National College of
Electro- Therapetics, at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he went for a
course of instruction, who tendered him a position in that body, in
1896, and he has been associated with this well-established institution
This college, which is now known through- out the entire world, was
the first correspondence school of its kind ever organized. It was
founded in January, 1896, and has ever since been doing an extensive
increasing correspondence. Its teaching has extended to every
continent, the records showing that it has satisfactorily and
successfully given instruction in electro- therapeutics to over 2,000
students at their homes, many of whom afterward came to the college
seeking personal instruction, a number of whom have become noted
When the health of the founder, Dr. William F. Howe, gave way, and he
was compelled on this account to seek a different climate, the school
was removed to Lima, Ohio, and Dr. Bennett was elected general secretary
and treasurer of the college, and assumed entire charge of the
correspondence and business part of the school work. He also became
the editor and publisher of the college journal, The Electro-
Therapeutist, which has met with much public favor, and has just closed
its ninth year's volume. Dr. Bennett gives personal instruction in
general electro-therapeutics, and the demonstration of apparatus, and
technique, to students. He also enjoys an extensive and lucrative
practice in his specialty, in electrodes are being sold, and are in use,
all over the world. They are constructed on scientific principles, and
each year finds them more in demand, as the medical profession, and
public becomes more and more convinced of the great value of electricity
as a remedy. Dr. Bennett's private offices are equipped with an
elaborate and extensive selection of up-to-date electrical apparatus,
much of which is of original design and construction.
Dr. Bennett has been and still continues to be, a prolific writer in
his special line. He is the author, editor and publisher of the
"Electro- Therapeutic Guide," which is recognized as the most condensed,
concise and thoroughly practical book on the subject, which has ever
been issued. It is intended particularly for the use of the busy
physician, and it contains the only complete electro-medical dictionary.
Its popularity may be judged by the fact that the demand has already
exhausted six popular editions and the seventh is now in use. Dr.
Bennett has also complete and scientific resume of the subject of
electrocution, to which he has devoted a great deal of scientific study.
In addition to medical degrees mentioned, Dr. Bennett has received
the reguar degree of Master of Electro-Therapeutics, from the National
College of Electro-Therapeutics, this honor being given in Indiana and
he has also been the recipient of the same, as an "honorary degree,"
from the Eastern College of Electro-Therapeutics, at Philadelphia. He
holds diplomas conferring both the regular and post-graduate title of
Ph. G. from the Ohio Institute of Pharmacy at Columbus. and the degree
of D. P., form Chicago School of Psychology. He also was given the
first "honorary degree" of master of Physiological- Therapeutics, form
the Cincinnati Post- Graduate School of Physiological-Therapeutics, and
is a consultant to that institution. For several years he served as
city physician and also as a member of the Lima Board of Health, and has
been examiner for a number of leading life insurance companies. He thus
has has a wide and varied experience in treating all kinds and classes
of ailments, and he is often consulted and quoted as an authority in
Dr. Bennett is a valued member of the National Society of
Electro-Therapeutics, the American Association for the Advancement of
Science, the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, and is a
charter member of the American Roentgen Ray Society, and of the American
Electro-Medical Society, of which he was vice-president in 1904. At its
convention in 1905, when the name was changed to that of the American
Progressive Therapeutic Society, Dr. Bennett was honored by election to
the presidency. As is natural, other schools and counties want his
services and influence, and he has received numerous flattering offers,
from prominent metropolitan specialists, schools and electrical houses,
to leave Lima for other point, all of which he has declined, preferring
his present congenial field.
On January 19, 1887, Dr. Bennett married Carried Elizabeth Deeds, of
Bellefontaine, Ohio. They have one son Clark Leroy, The home of Dr.
Bennett and family is located at No. 125 North Pierce street, Lima. In
1901 the Doctor built a handsome four-story apartment residence building
at Lima, known as the "Elektron," which he subsequently sold. Its total
cost was $25,282.76, and the sale was effected at a considerably higher
figure and was consummated June 17, 1905.
In national politics Dr. Bennett is affiliated with the Republican
party, but his busy life gives him very little opportunity to be an
active politician, even if his tastes led in that direction. However,
he finds time for many social pleasures in his hospitable home, and in
numerous fraternal orders. He is an Odd Fellow, a Modern Woodman, a
Good Templar, an Oriental, a Khorassan, and is a prominent member of the
Senate team of the famous Lima Lodge No. 91, Knights of Pythias.
Dr. Bennett is well and favorably known both at home and abroad, as a
physician, scientist, inventor, author, poet, and student. In addition
to his scientific writings, he has also written many beautiful poems,
which have been pronounced by able critics to be "literary gems," and
which have been widely copied, in both literary and medical
publications. If questioned what he considers three of his greatest
blessings, it is probable that he would reply in his genial way: "to be
alive at the beginning of the 20th century; to be young; and to be in
the enjoyment of splendid health. That he may continue to enjoy these
blessings which promise future usefulness and assed honors, and, as
youth necessarily departs, find just as desirable middle and advanced
age, is the united wish of thousands who have come under his influence
either personally of through his writings.