Please use your browser find command to locate the specific
bio you wish to view.


D. N. Gengler

D. N. Gengler, justice of the peace at Landeck, and
the owner of a fine farm of 320 acres of well- improved land in sections
2, 10 and 11, Marion township, and 40 additional acres in the adjoining
township, and joint proprietor of the Landeck Tile Factory, was born in
Germany, December 24,1842, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Boifas)
Gengler.
Peter Gengler, emigrated to America in 1845 with his wife and our
subject, Dominick, the eldest of the family of six children, the other
survivors of which are: Louis, who is a notary public in Indiana; Felix,
who resides near Coldwater; and Thomas, who is a farmer in Putnam
County. Peter Gengler came to Ohio and located on a small tract of 50
acres, then in the woods of Seneca County, where he lived for 17 years,
having with the help of his children, cleared and developed it into a
fine farm. In 1863, after disposing of it to advantage, he came to
Allen County and purchased 160 acres of land south of the village of
Landeck, in Marion township, and this land he improved and lived upon
until his death on January 31, 1894, aged 78 years. He was one of the
liberal contributors to the building of the beautiful edifice of St.
John the Baptist Church at Landeck, and for a number of years was a
member of its board of trustees.
Dominic N. Gengler attended the public schools in Seneca County,
and under his father's direction grew into a capable, practical farmer.
After his marriage he settled on a part of his present farm, consisting
then of 80 acres. He now owns 360 acres of fine land, 40 of which were
willed to him and the remainder has come into his possession by
purchase. When Mr. Gengler settled here, the surrounding timber was
full of game. He built a log house for immediate occupancy, drained and
cleared his farm and gradually bought it to its present state of rich
cultivation. In 1890 he erected his beautiful brick residence, one
which arouses general admiration from the passing stranger and which is
a model of comfort and convenience for its inmates. It is beautifully
situated south of the main road, and is enclosed with a neat, ornamental
iron fence. In the charming arrangement of flowers and shrubbery, the
good taste of both Mr. and Mrs. Gengler is shown. It is one of the most
beautifully attractive homes in this section of Allen County. Mr.
Gengler has important interests in the Landeck Tile Factory which he
opened on his farm in 1880. Here tiles are manufactured ranging in size
from 3 to 12 inches.
On November 29, 1870, Mr. Gengler was married to Mary Ardner, who is
a daughter of Nicholas and Susan (Adantz) Ardner, the former of whom was
born in Germany, May 5, 1822. Mr. Ardner came to America in 1846 and
located at Tiffin, Ohio, where he was married in 1863. He came then to
Allen County and settled on a farm of 80 acres, situated three miles
southeast of Landeck, which he has increased to 200 acres. Here he
remained until 1884 when he removed to a 10 acre farm near Landeck, in
order to enjoy church privileges, being a devout ember of the Church of
St. John the Baptist. He owns other tracts of land which have been
developed out of the wilderness of Allen County. Mr. and Mrs. Gengler
have five children: Nicholas, residing in section 10, where his father
has built a nice home, who married Helena Roerig and has two children
Raymond and Rosala; John, residing in section 2, also owning a
comfortable home, who married Clara Roerig, a cousin of Mrs. Nicholas
Gengler, and has two children Loretta and Sylvester; Margaret, who
married Louis Karst, resides in a nice home in section 10 and has one
son Albert; Thomas, who is unmarried and remains at home managing the
farms and the tile works; and Susan, who married C. H. Falter, of Seneca
County, Ohio, and has three children Armilla, Alwisa and John.
In politics Mr. Gengler is a Democrat. He has served on the School
Board and is an ardent friend of the public schools. He has done his
full share in the material development of his section of the county. In
his earlier years he worked many a day on the roads of Marion township,
giving his time to advance the general welfare. Since 1880 he has been
a justice of the peace, and it has always been his endeavor in his
official position to serve as far as possible as a peacemaker while
administering the law. He is a Catholic and is one of the leading
members of the Church of St. John the Baptist and, like his father
before him, is a member of the church choir.


Francis Ashton

Francis Ashton, a retired business man of Lima whose
portrait accompanies this sketch, was for many years largely interested
in the grocery and lumber industries of this city. He is a son of
Francis and Elizabeth (Mackinder) Ashton, and was born March 9, 1831, in
Lincolnshire, England.
Mr. Ashton came to America in early boyhood and received his
education in the State of Ohio. His first business venture was at
Kenton, Ohio, where he and his brother William Ashton, engaged in the
hardware line. This was continued until 1854, when he came to Lima and
opened a hardware store, which he conducted alone for about 15 years.
Soon after retiring from this work, Mr. Ashton became interested in the
grocery business, his partner being John Wheeler. The firm of Wheeler &
Ashton was continued five years, when Mr. Wheeler retired and his place
was taken by Henry Ashton, another brother of our subject. F. & H.
Ashton conducted the business very successfully until 1880, when Francis
Ashton became associated with Thomas R. Dobbins and opened a lumber-yard
on South Main street. Here they soon worked up a prosperous trade,
which was continued until Mr. Ashton's retirement from business in the
latter part of the '80's.
Mr. Ashton was married in 1856 to Mary Lantz and the following
children have blessed their union: Elizabeth, wife of Charles Dunan, of
San Francisco, California; Annie, wife of R. M. Hughes, with the
MacDonald Jewelry Company of Lima; John R., of Lima; Hattie B., wife of
Frederick J. DeGrief, of Lima; and F. L., a prosperous hardware merchant
of Celina, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Ashton attend the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Mr. Ashton has been prominent in Odd Fellow and Masonic circles
for many years. He was treasurer of Allen Lodge, No. 223, I. O. O. F.,
for 25 years and for several years held the same office in the Shawnee
Commandery, No. 14, K. T. He was also for many years treasurer of Lima
Council, No. 20, R. & S. M. He is one of the city's representative men,
and has contributed largely to the prosperity and advancement which have
attended the community in which he still takes a lively and substantial
interest.



W. H. Glover

W. H. Glover, wholesale and retail dealer in
millinery, of Lima, is a Canadian by birth, having first seen the light
of day in that country in 1844. Mr. Glover was raised on a farm, and
since early manhood has been engaged in mercantile business, first as a
clerk in a dry goods store, later in a general merchandise store, and
finally in a store of his own in Lima. Mr. Glover had traveled on the
road for 25 years when he came to this city in 1889, and in partnership
with A. A. Winters opened a millinery store under the firm name of
Glover & Winters. The business was a success from the start, and the
volume of trade has extended until it has become one of the most
extensive enterprises in Lima. In 1894 Mr. Glover purchased his
partner's interest and has since then been sole owner. The business is
both wholesale and retail, the former covering an extensive territory.
Mr. Glover is interested in a number of enterprises in Ohio,
including properties in Tiffin and Van Wert. He has paid up stock in
the German American Oil Company to the value of $6,000 and is owner of a
thriving fertilizing plant at Muncie, Indiana. He has added materially
in the development of Lima. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Mr. Glover has been too much occupied with his business to dabble in
politics. He was married in 1876 to Currence Winters.


George D. Kanawl

George D. Kanawl, formerly a member of the Board of
County Commissioners of Allen County, and now a retired resident of
Lima, has been more of less actively identified with this city's
interests for almost 30 years. He was born in 1849 in Juniata County,
Pennsylvania, and there obtained the greater part of his education.
In 1866 M. Kanawl came to Allen County, and after working on a farm
for three years went into contracting and bridge-building. He was so
employed in Allen County, for 25 years, and during that period he put in
the foundations of almost all of the important business blocks on Main
street, Lima, and built the foundation for the Solar Refinery. His
careful and lasting work is seen in many of the finest residences all
over the city. He did a large business all over the county in building
bridge abutments and in bridge-work generally. He was well and favorably
known in almost every branch of the building trade.
For many years Mr. Kanawl has been connected with politics and
public affairs in Allen County. Prior to his first election as county
commissioner in 1897, he had been an official in Bath township and had
served as supervisor, trustee and justice of the peace in German
township. After serving most efficiently as a member of the Board of
County Commissioners for three years, he was reelected in 1900 and
served three years more. For the past three years he has lived without
business care of official responsibility, on account of failing health,
and has taken this opportunity to travel over a large part of the United
States. He spent last winter in the genial climate of Southern
California and Mexico. At every point he has made new acquaintances and
left friends behind.
Mr. Kanawl has been thrice married. His first wife was Adeline
Ransbottom, a member of one of the pioneer families of Allen County, and
they had two children Charles and Fannie. The former is a commercial
traveler and the latter is the wife of George Deimer, of Lima, who is
foreman for The Lima Telephone & Telegraph Company. Mr. Kanawl married
(second) Mary Murray, who was a daughter of John Murray, of German
township, a member of one of the county's influential families. His
third marriage took place September 6, 1905, to Mrs. Tina (Moore)
Crossley, who was the widow of Elmer Crossley.
Mr. Kanawl is a member of the Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church
which he assisted very materially while it was in course of
construction. Fraternally he belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Elks.


B. F. Williams

B. F. Williams, an extensive oil producer, stands among
the leading business men of Lima. He was born in Erie County, New York,
in 1849, and is a son of the late J. W. Williams, a millwright by trade
and a resident of New York.
B. F. Williams was reared and educated in Erie County, and as early
as 1868 became interested in the Pennsylvania oil field, being a
producer at Shamburg and Pleasantville until 1877, when he entered the
Bradford field, where he operated until he came to Lima in 1898. His
present interests are located in the Ohio, Indiana and Kansas fields,
being a member of the firm of The Roth- Argue, Maire Brothers Oil
Company, one of the most important independent companies now operating,
having 16 wells in the Bartlesville (Indian Territory) field. This
company has just shot a new well, which promises great results, as it
already produces 800 barrels of oil daily. On October 8, 1904, the
company drilled well No. 4 which proved a natural well, flowing 800
barrels of oil, and that the same conditions attend their latest boring
speaks well for the value of the field. In addition to these large
interests, Mr. Williams is a stockholder in other enterprises, one of
them being The Lima Trust Company.
In 1875 Mr. Williams was married to Ida J. Allport, who was born in
Canada and died April 1, 1891, leaving four children, viz.: Harry, who
is the manager of a wood-fiber company at Birmingham, Alabama; Maud E.;
Silas, who is a student at Orchard Lake, Michigan; and Helen. The
religious connection of the family is with the Baptist Church. Mr.
Williams is a good citizen, but not an active politician. He is a member
of the Elks.


Daniel Lory

Daniel Lory resides on his farm of 80 acres in section
34, Richland township, which he purchased about 35 years ago, soon after
coming to Allen County. He grew to manhood on the farm upon which he
was born May 26, 1847, near La Chaux de Fonds, in Canton Neuchatel,
Switzerland. This property had been in the Lory family for more than
150 years, and was the home of his parents, Henry Louis and Marion
(Herschey) Lory during their lifetime. Our subject was one of 12
children, three of whom died in childhood. Three of his brothers,
Louis, Frederick and Ulysses came to this country and settled; Louis in
Illinois and Frederick in New York. Ulysses returned to Switzerland and
died there.
Daniel Lory came to America alone at the age of 18, and after
spending one year on a farm in Wayne County, Ohio, came to Allen County
and hired out by the year as a farmhand for three years. He purchased
40 acres of land in section 34, Richland Township and was afterwards
able to secure an adjoining 40, which he has in an excellent state of
cultivation. He has erected substantial buildings on his property and
is one of the progressive farmers of the county. A man of comprehensive
knowledge and a deep thinker, he brings to his work an intelligent
understanding that places him among the foremost agriculturists of his
section and a leader in whatever he undertakes. Mr. Lory has had the
advantage of a good education and is a fluent speaker in German, French
and English, which he writes with equal facility. The German language
was taught in the home, the French was acquired in schools in his native
land, while the English was picked up after coming to this country.
Mr. Lory was married in 1867, soon after coming here, to Katherine
Basinger who was born in Richland township, Allen County, Ohio, December
26, 1843, and is a daughter of Simon and Barbara (Steiner) Basinger.
Her parents were among the first settlers of Allen County, coming here
from Alsace, France, the place of their nativity. Ten children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Lory, four of whom died in infancy. The others
are: Ferdinand, a resident of Bluffton; Louis, living at home; Emanuel,
who lives in Lima; Marianne, who died at the age of 20 years; Ida,
living at home; and Daniel, who also lives at home. They are members of
the German Reformed Church, of Bluffton, of which our subject was one of
the first elders, serving in that capacity for a number of years. He
has always been a prominent citizen and has served as trustee of the
township for six years and as supervisor for eight years, having been
elected on the Democratic ticket.



Frank W. Holmes

Frank W. Holmes, one of Lima's prominent citizens,
president of the Fidelity Coal & Supply Company, and identified for years
with the oil and other industries of this section, was born in Lima,
March 18, 1858, and is a son of Branson P. and Jane W. Holmes.
The Holmes family is one of the oldest in the county. For ever 33
years Branson P. Holmes, father of Frank W., was a successful merchant
at Lima, and was an acknowledged founder of the city's prosperity. He
died in 1870, a man generally esteemed and beloved. The aged mother
still survives him. and is an honored member of the family of her son
Frank.
The death of the father of Frank W. Holmes, when the latter was only
12 years old, placed heavy responsibilities on the lad as the eldest
son; but he was equal to the task and zealously assisted his widowed
mother in her struggles to provide for the support and education of the
family. Much space might be devoted to narrating the various ways in
which the youth conscientiously tried to take his father's place in the
family, often willingly sacrificing his own ambitions and comfort. thus
he was able to keep intact the estate left by his father, which
increased so much in value in later years. Under many discouragements
he also continued his studies, and in 1876 graduated in a class of 15
from the Lima High School. If conditions had been different, he would
have taken a college course, but as that was impossible at the time he
turned to the business field, accepting at first a position in the bank
of a neighboring town. Here his only compensation was his board, but he
remained nearly a year in order to increase his knowledge, and gain an
insight into financial methods. He then returned to Lima and secured a
position as clerk in the Lima post office, at a salary of $20 per month,
serving in that capacity for two years.
Mr. Holmes' first entrance into the oil business, with which he
subsequently became so closely identified, was in the capacity of
bookkeeper for W. L. Porter, at a yearly salary of $600, which then
seemed to the young man almost a fortune. His business relations with
Mr. Porter were of the most satisfactory nature, the most cordial
personal feelings being mutually entertained by both throughout Mr.
Porter's life. Mr. Holmes held the position until 1881, when , on
account of close application to his duties, his health became impaired
and his physician recommended a change of climate. He the visited the
West and engaged in mining for a short time in Colorado. His health
became restored, but he did not advance financially, and he returned to
Lima no richer in pocket, but better prepared to stand the stress of
business life. In 1882, soon after his return, he was offered the
secretaryship of the Lima Iron Fence Company, a position he held for
three years.
In the meantime the value of his father's estate had been much
increased, on account of the general progress and development of the
city. In 1885 he undertook, for the Holmes estate, the buiding of the
present Holmes Block. At that time he was residing with his mother on
the old homstead. On account of the general municipal progress his
property had become too valuable for business purposes to justify its
retention as a place of residence. It was therefore decided that a fine
business block could be erected which would return a large income in
rentals, although, at that time, it was a considerable distance from
Lima's business center notwithstanding which, contracts were secured
with desirable tenants for lang-term leases, on low payments. Mr.
Holmes had a debt of $3,000 with which to contend, and it required all
his business ability to accomplish the erection of the business block,
which was satisfactorily completed in 1885.
It was soon after the completion of this work, and while Mr. Holmes
was unemployed, that the first oil well was opened at Lima. He was
offered a humble position with the Trenton Rock Oil Company a
corporation supposed to control nearly all the oil territory of any
value in Ohio and this he accepted, his work being that of a notary
whose business it was to acknowledge oil leases. As this work occupied
but a short period, he was soon out of employment; but later, from a
chance conversation with a friend, Mr. Holmes secured one of the earliest
valuable oil leases in this locality. As a diversion and as an
experiment, the friends, both then out of employment, went into the
country with the idea of securing an oil lease which they hoped they
might be able to sell to some investor. The result was that, after a
long day spent with a farmer, who had little faith in the oil business
but was of a friendly accommodating spirit, they secured a lease upon
his farm. This lease proved one of the most valuable taken in Allen
County, and the well subsequently drilled upon it was really the pioneer
in the opening up and extension of the oil fields here.
The operation of this lease was conducted through a business
combination, with parties in Olean, New York, who subsequently dealt
with Mr. Holmes in connection with many other leases. At this time he
was associated with Frank and Charles Coss, practical oil men, formerly
of Olean, New York. While final prosperity came, the early days of Mr.
Holmes' oil enterprises were filled with discouragement. When the old
J. K. Speer well was drilled, which daily produced 700 barrels of oil,
and was followed by the John Ridenour well, whose capacity was 1,000
barrels a day, Mr. Holmes soon acquired sufficient capital to meet all
his liabilities.
The history of the oil operations in this section, with the great
promise of financial prosperity to hundreds of those, who, like Mr.
Holmes, had gone into the business with small capital, and the quenching
of hope and extinguishing of opportunity, is too well known in these
days of publicity, to recount the tale, with its many details of the
greed of the great Octopus which brought ruin to many happy homes. In
Mr. Holmes case, before he could sell any of his oil, the Standard Oil
Company decided that they had made a mistake in considering that the
product was of any value whatever except as fuel, and they therefore
lowered the price, day after day, until the time came when 42 gallons of
this oil bought the sum of 15 cents. Under these conditions, the
various oil producers outside the Standard felt themselves justified in
combining for self- protection, and each man's property, including that
of Mr. Holmes, was turned into the company at a value which was
established by a board of appraisers. He was one of the incorporators
and, later, a director in what was known as the Ohio Oil Company. This
company continued one year but was forced to sell to the Standard Oil
Company.
Prior to the sale of his interests, Mr. Holmes had become associated
with S. M. Jones in taking up a large block of territory in the western
section of Allen, and the eastern section of Van Wert County. forming
what became the Geyser Oil Company. Although this venture did not prove
as satisfactory as anticipated, Mr. Holmes made money out of it.
Immediately afterward he became interested near Marietta, and later in
valuable holdings of the Silurian Oil Company, of which he was a member,
and in both of these connections he was eminently successful. For six
months after this he was on the leasing force of the Ohio Oil Company
and, while the work was exhausting, in that it exposed him to all
weathers, he secured 100 leases in one month, on farms ranging from 40
to 800 acres. When the Manhattan Oil Company was organized, he was
invited to enter the employ of this organization and as its object (an
effort to build up a market for Ohio crude oil outside the Standard)
appealed to him, he consented to enter its service for a short time.
His connection with the company, however, covered a period of 10 years;
first as cashier, then as secretary, and finally as general manager.
There is little in connection with the oil industry with which Mr.
Holmes is not perfectly familiar. He has watched the business from its
beginning, has suffered from the rapacity of competitors, has assisted
manfully in protesting against iniquitous business methods, and through
sheer ability and brave persistency has reaped financial success where
many others have failed.
His oil interests are by no means all that have claimed Mr. Holmes
attention. For a number of years, with W. L. Mackenzie he was
interested in the Fidelity Lumber Company and, with Mr. Mackenzie, he
organized the Fidelity Coal & Supply Company, which has grown into an
enterprise of large importance. He continues to be president of this
company, being its main directing head. Its great warehouse at Lima has
a frontage of 500 feet on the C., H. & D. Railway, and 200 on the L. E.
& W. Railway. He is a stockholder and director in The Hall & Woods
Company, of Lima, operating the Model Mills; a director of The Ohio
National Bank, at Lima, and is one of the incorporators and directors of
the South Side Building & Loan Association. On the Holmes farm he has
erected several hundred houses which he has sold to good tenants, on
easy monthly payments. He has retained large real estate holdings and
is an extensive operator in realty.
In 1882 Mr. Holmes was married to May R. Harley, who is a daughter of
Dr. L. G. Harley, of Wayne County, Ohio, and they have had four
children, viz.: Van Cleve, Branson Harley, Donald (deceased), and Frank
H. The eldest son, having completed his course at Amherst College, is
now in business in New York City. The second son is a student in the
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and is also cultivating a
remarkable musical gift, being under the instruction of noted teachers
of the violin, at Detroit.
For many years Mr. Holmes has been deeply interested in the Young
Men's Christian Association, and has been prominently identified with its
work. He has served as president and director of the organization at
Lima, and has devoted time, money and effort to many other charitable
and philanthropic enterprises. Not being a man who heralds his
beneficences, much of his practical helpfulness is known only to the
recipients. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and has served as
a member of the session.


William W. Curtin

William W. Curtin, a well-known and highly respected
citizen of Lima, interested in the production of oil, is a son of Erin
who has made his fortune in the oil fields of America being at this time
largely interested in the most productive wells scattered through the
oil belt of the United States. Mr. Curtin was born August 1, 1842, in
Cork, Ireland, and was reared in that country to the age of 15 when he
came to America. For the following eight years he was employed in New
York and vicinity, but in 1865 he located in Venango County,
Pennsylvania, where on April 11th of that year he engaged in the oil
industry, and has prospered beyond his most sanguine expectations. He
operations to the Findlay and St. Marys fields, and in 1900 located at
Lima. In addition to several wells which he operates in Ohio, he has a
number in Indian Territory, the output from which brings him in a
considerable income.
Mr. Curtin was united in marriage July 13, 1866, to Rebecca Kells, a
native of Ireland. Four children were born to this union, viz.: E. R.
Curtin, vice-president and general superintendent of The Manhattan Oil
Company, of Lima; Annie Bell, wife of N. J. Loveless, of Bradford,
Pennsylvania; James A., who is in the oil business; and John F., a
mechanic. Mrs. Curtin died November 4, 1900, and Mr. Curtin was married
on the first of the March following to Wealthy Riddle, of Allegany
County, New York. Mr. Curtin is a director of The Lima Trust Company.


Augustus E. Weger

Augustus E. Weger, one of the prominent business men of
Delphos, the leading photographer and also the junior member of the
undertaking firm of Jauman & Weger, was born April 20, 1878, at
Newcastle, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Frank A. and Margaret Elizabeth
(Deitzel) Weger.
George K. Weger, the paternal grandfather, was born in Germany. He
came to America in 1852, locating in Baltimore, Maryland, where he
followed the trade of cooper. His son Frank A., the father of Augustus
E., learned this trade also and worked as a cooper for some years in
Baltimore and then removed to Newcastle, Pennsylvania. Here he was
married in 1871, to Margaret E. Deitzel, who was born in that place, and
was a daughter of Michael Deitzel, a native of Prussia. They had five
children, viz.: Katie, George, Augustus, Mary and Frank. Mr. Weger
removed from Newcastle to Pittsburgh and in 1878 came to Delphos as
foreman for the Pittsburgh Keg & Barrel Company, with which concern he
continued until he joined interests with H. Goette in the hoop and stave
business. Augustus E. Weger has spent the main part of his life at
Delphos, being an infant when his parents came here. He was educated in
both the English and German departments of the parochial schools and,
after completing the usual course, received private instruction at
Delphos. For a time he assisted his father in the hoop and stave
factory, later turned his attention to other activities, but in 1899
definitely decided to become a practical photographer, having always had
an inclination in this direction. He has been in the business for
himself for the past three years and until September 23, 1905, was
alone. On account of needed expansion and great press of business, Mr.
Weger then admitted Mr. Fry to partnership and now the firm stands Weger
& Fry. the well-equipped studio is located on Main street between Second
and Third streets. Mr. Weger is a natural artist and in giving way to
his inclinations but followed what promises to be a promising and
prosperous career. An enthusiast in his work, each finds him better
able to compete with those who have elevated in photographic art to the
level of other artistic achievements.
Since September 21, 1905, Mr. Weger has also been connected with
another line of business, being the junior partner in the undertaking
firm of Jauman & Weger, funeral directors and embalmers. Their quarters
have been fitted up with all modern conveniences and their business in
conducted in a quiet, orderly manner. Mr. Weger devotes his whole time
to his studio, Mr. Jauman attending to the undertaking department.
Mr. Weger is a member of the Church of St. John the Evangelist at
Delphos. He belongs to the Catholic Knights of Ohio and the Catholic
Knights of America.


Joseph Aaron States

Joseph Aaron States, president of the Allen County
Agricultural Society and formerly county commissioner for several terms,
is one of Monroe township's most respected citizens. He resides on his
highly improved farm of 160 acres situated in sections 21 and 22. Mr.
States was born on this farm April 20, 1848, and is a son of Daniel and
Jane (Jennings) States.
Daniel States was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, April 14,
1810, and was a son of Peter and Susan (Praul) States. The father of
Peter States, Daniel by name, was born in France; while the father of
Mrs. Peter States was born in England. Our subject's parents came to
Monroe township, Allen County, in the spring of 1835, locating in
section 21. With eight others, he was a voter at the first election
held in the township, which they all had assisted in organizing. He
entered 120 acres of land and on this farm, developed from the
wilderness, he reared a creditable family, which through his efforts in
promoting educational, religious and social movements, enjoyed many
advantages which even older localities did not present. He was a man of
great public spirit and was so admirably qualified for leadership, that
he was frequently called upon to take a prominent part in public
affairs. He served 14 years as township trustee and treasurer, was one
of the founders of the Methodist Episcopal Church, built the first
schoolhouse on his own farm, and through individual effort and personal
expenditure, inaugurated the making of good roads and the building of
bridges, in this was setting a creditable example and earning the
grateful remembrances of those who came after.
On April 1, 1833, Daniel States was united in marriage with Jane
Jennings, who was born June 16, 1810, and died January 20, 1873. She
was a daughter of Benjamin and Betsey (Milick) Jennings, a granddaughter
of John Milick, a native of Pennsylvania, and a cousin of Governor David
Tod, of Ohio. Seven children were born to this union, as follows: John,
deceased, of Crawford County, Kansas; George and Susan, who died in
childhood; Margaret, deceased, who was the wife of Scott Harris, of
Monroe township; Mary J., deceased; Joseph Aaron, of this sketch; and
Huldah R., wife of Ephraim Tussing, of Van Wert County, Ohio, also
deceased.
Joseph Aaron States attended the district schools and was reared on
his father's farm, where he received his training as a practical
agriculturist. his main business in life has continued along the same
lines general farming and stock-raising. He has so frequently been
called upon by is fellow-citizens to accept various offices of trust and
responsibility that in later years the larger portion of his time has
been absorbed in attending to duties of a public nature. In political
sentiment he has always been a stanch Democrat. In 1882 he was elected
by his party county commissioner and, through reelection, he served
continuously in this important office for six years and one month. For
three years he was township trustee and for 20 years has been a member
of the Board of Education. He has always taken a deep and intelligent
interest in county organizations of all kinds, and has given support to
those which, in his opinion, are calculated to advance the general
welfare. In 1903 he was elected president of the Allen County
Agricultural Society, and under his wise administration, it held the
most successful county fair during its existence. He is a man of
enlightened views, business capacity, unquestioned integrity and,
withal, one of the genial, wholesouled men whose citizenship honors his
community.
On September 3, 1867, Mr. States was married to Mary J. Powell, who
was born March 6, 1842, near Spencerville, Ohio, and is a daughter of
David and Sophia (Walden) Powell, natives of Juniata County,
Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. States was Amos Powell,
who was born in Wales and with his family, was an early settler in Allen
County. To Mr. and Mrs. States were born these children: Anna V., wife
of Joseph G. Hersh, an attorney, of Lima; William C., of the Lima Cigar
Company, who has one son, Earl; Arthur L., a farmer of Monroe township;
Samuel E., who died in 1877; and Mary Lucretia, who married Jesse Vance,
a farmer of Monroe township, and has two children.


John D. Jones and Cary C. Williams

Jones & Williams. This firm conducts a large and
complete undertaking business at Lima, with quarters on the southwest
corner of the Public Square, the members of the firm being John D. Jones
and Cary C. Williams.
This business was established at Lima in December, 1900, by the
gentlemen mentioned. They have a well-equipped establishment, employ
strictly modern methods, including the latest processes of embalming,
and as a firm stand very high in public esteem.
John D. Jones, senior member of the firm, has been a resident of
Lima, for the past 23 years. He was born in Piqua, Miami County, Ohio,
in 1852, and is a son of William H. Jones, a tanner by trade, who died
in that place in 1859.
Mr. Jones was the youngest of a family of eight children and was
left fatherless at the age of seven years. After completing his
schooling he went to Troy, and there learned the harnessmaker's trade.
In 1872 he removed to Hartford City, Indiana, where he engaged in the
harness business for one year. He then located at Montepelier, Indiana,
where he entered into partnership with a Mr. Dick, under the firm name
of Dick & Jones. Later he bought Mr. Dick's interest and conducted the
business alone, remaining in business at Montpelier for a period of 10
years. In 1882 he came to Lima and here also engaged in the harness
business until 1900, when he sold out and with his son-in -law, Cary C.
Wlliams, embarked in his present enterprise as an undertaker and
embalmer.
Mr. Jones was married in August, 1874, to Alice Seal who died in
June, 1878, leaving one daughter Alberta now the wife of Cary C.
Williams. In 1884 Mr. Jones was married (second) to Sarah I. Meeks, who
is a daughter of Amos Meeks, one of the pioneer settlers of the county.
Both of her grandfathers came here at a very early day and bought land
from the government. Mr. Jones is a member of Trinity Methodist
Episcopal Church and is serving on the official board.
Cary C. Williams, the junior member of the firm was born in Defiance
County, Ohio. He may be said to have almost grown up in the undertaking
business, as his father was an undertaker for many years and he assisted
from boyhood. He is a graduate of the Chicago School of Embalming.
Mr. Williams was united in marriage with Alberta Jones, who is a
daughter of John D. and Alice (Seal) Jones.


Henry G. Wemmer

Henry G. Wemmer, one of the business men of Lima, who
has contributed much to the importance of this city as a commercial
center, was one of the organizers of The Deisel-Wemmer Company, which is
known all over the United States in the cigar manufacturing line. Mr.
Wemmer was born in Germany in 1865.
Mr. Wemmer was reared and educated in his native land, coming to the
United States in 1884. His uncle was established in a cigar
manufacturing business in Delaware, and Henry G., remained for a time
with him, thence going to Marion, Ohio, and finally to Lima. In 1891 he
became associated with Henry Deisel, a personal friend and a practical
cigarmaker, and the firm of Deisel & Wemmer was thereby formed. The
partnership continued until 1902 when the immense growth of the business
make incorporation advisable. The present officers of The Deisel-Wemmer
Company are: Henry Deisel, president; William J. Wemmer,
vice-president; Henry G. Wemmer, general manager; and Robert J. Plate,
secretary and treasurer.
From a small beginning, in 1891, this business has become one of the
largest in its line in this section, and probably is the largest house
in the world manufacturing and selling direct to the retail trade. Our
subject looks after the jobbing trade, and handles the 14 traveling
salesmen who are constantly employed. The goods manufactured include
several excellent brands of cigars, but the specialities are the "
General Stark" and "San Felice." The latter s composed of a special
blend of leaf and a particularly good wrapper, sells at five cents, and
has a universal popularity.
In addition to his interest in this great and still growing
business, Mr. Wemmer is a director and stockholder in The Lima Trust
Company, and is interested in other successful business enterprises.
Mr. Wemmer was married in 1894 to Rica Sauter, and they have had
three children Esther and Pauline, who are living, and Edna, who died at
the age of eight years.
Mr. Wemmer is a member of the Lima Club and of the Elks. He is a
liberal, broadminded citizen, whose abounding energy has been notable
not only in his personal business association, but in his interest in
everything pertaining to the advancement of the city.


James A. Park

James A. Park, oil contractor and producer, and
proprietor of a large and well-appointed livery establishment at
Spencerville, is one of this city's valued public men and substantial
citizens. Mr. Park was born near Willshire, Ohio, May 25, 1865, and is
a son of Samuel W. and Sarah A. (Philbee) Park. On the paternal side,
Mr. Park comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and of German extraction on the
mother's side.
Smauel W. Park was born near Harrisburg Pennsylvania, in 1822, and
died in Ohio in April, 1903. In 1845, at Newark, Ohio. He married
Sarah A. Philbee, who was born in Germany in 1826 and was three years
old when her parents emigrated to the United States. They made the
six-weeks voyage on a sailing vessel, enduring hardships innumberable.
She died in Ohio in 1893, after a long and useful life, having been
permitted to see her family of 10 children grow to intelligent maturity
and to establish happy domestic circles of their own. Her own passing
was the first break in the family circle. She left behind her husband,
her 10 children, 27 grandchildren and three great- grandchildren. The
children are: Alexander; Louisa, wife of Charles Bowman, of Van Wert
County; Elizabeth, wife of William McMichael, of Van Wert County;
Catherine, wife of T. C. Bowman, of Van Wert County; Ellen, wife of G.
W. Stetler, of Van Wert County; Jennie, wife E. F. Hunter, of Van Wert
County; William, a resident of Van Wert County, who married Anna
Royston; Samuel, who married Hulda Royston and resides at Lima; James,
of this sketch; and Benjamin, who married Myrtle Lewis and lives at
Spencerville.
The family record reaches back to the days of the Revolutionary War,
when our subjects' great-great-grandfather was a lieutenant under
General Washington. He was of Scotch birth as was also his son, Col.
Robert E. Park, who was an early Governor of Connecticut. The
grandfather of our subject was born in New Jersey in 1789 and moved to
Ohio in 1831. His son, Samuel W., at one time owned the land on which
now stands the Ohio State Penitentiary, at Columbus, Franklin County,
Ohio. On his mother's side, Samuel W.Park was first cousin to John R.
McLean, the distinguished editor and publisher of the Cincinnati
Enquirer.
James A. Park was reared on the farm of his father in Van Wert
County until the age of 14 years, attending in the meantime the local
schools and subsequently the Van Wert High School, earning his expenses
by serving as a clerk in a dry goods store. With and idea of becoming a
teacher, he then attended the Ohio Normal University at Ada, and there
was under the instruction of his own cousin Professor Park, a noted
educator and a compiler of various acceptable text-books. During the
succeeding three years, he followed the profession of teaching and, had
his health not become impaired, he might have reached the same
distinguished position in the educational field as that filled by his
cousin.
Finding it necessary to adopt another line of activity, Mr. Park
went into the hardware business at Ohio City, Van Wert County, and
while residing there filled out the unexpired term of George Banter, as
postmaster, a period of two years, under the first Cleveland
administration. Mr. Park then engaged for a time in a livery
establishment is conducted along modern, up-to-date lines, and his
assortment of all kinds of vehicles is complete. His oil operations
have been successful and from being a contractor he has gone into the
producing business and has a string of tools.
While a man with many important business interests, Mr. Park has
found time to be also a worthy, public-spirited citizen and a worker
along lines looking to the best civic government. Since locating at
Spencerville he has served two years as city treasurer and for two years
was a member of the Board of Education, being a member of the board when
the last addition to the public school building was authorized.
Politically he is a Democrat. At present he is serving as a valued
member of the City Council, in which body he is chairman of the finance
committee. He has been elected three times to the Council and is now
serving in his sixth year, the expiration of his last term being in
January, 1907. He is credited with many local reform by his
fellow-citizens; but he assumes no honor on this account, it being his
belief that it is the duty of the business man to assist the maintaining
good government.
As an intelligent, wide-awake man, Mr. Park is interested in public
affairs and is more or less of a politician. He has been chosen for a
number of positions of honor and responsibility by his party, and has
represented it at many notable gatherings, serving as a delegate to the
State convention that nominated James Kilborne for Governor; was a
delegate to the congressional convention, at Sidney, that nominated
Robert Gordon for both his first and second term in Congress, and was
also a delegate to the district senatorial convention that nominated
Senator T. M. Berry, the present incumbent. He has filled the important
position of chairman of the Allen County Democratic Executive Committee
for the past two years. He is well known all over the county, and is in
accord with its good citizens in matters of public moment, irrespective
of party.
On December 25, 1887, Mr. Park was married to Mary E. Eller, who
was born March 19, 1870, in Van Wert County, Ohio, and is a daughter of
Frederick and Nancy (Kilmer) Eller, natives of Richland County, Ohio,
but of Pennsylvania descent. Mr. and Mrs. Park have one daughter, Hazel
Marie, who was born February 24, 1895. She is a bright, attractive
maiden of 11 years, a student in the Spencerville schools. The family
residence is one of the most attractive in the city of Spencerville, and
is located on Pearl street, a half block north of the Christian Church.
In his religious views Mr. Park is liberal-minded. Mrs. Park is an
active and interested worker in the Christian Church, with which she
united in 1893. She is a lady of many accomplishments and the
biographer may be forgiven for mentioning her artistic needlework. She
has taken many premiums when she has consented to exhibit her specimens
of lace-work.
Aside from his business, Mr. Park has always taken an interest in
horses, even in boyhood having more control over them than his
companions. He has-owned many fine animals and can scarcely remember
when he was not able to drive or enjoy the exercise of a fine mount.


D. C. Dunn

D. C. Dunn, president of The Eagle Stave Company, Atlas
Cooperage Company, Colonial Column Company and Dunn Cooperage Company,
has been a resident of Lima but a few years, yet even in this short
period he has identified himself with the business and social interests
of the city in a way to make his influence felt throughout the entire
municipality. He was born September 27, 1874, in the village of Lee,
Massachusetts, and is a son of George Dunn, a retired manufacturer,
living at Miamisburg, Ohio. George Dunn is a native of Scotland, and
there learned the trade of paper manufacturer, becoming an expert in the
business. Coming to this country he continued to work at the business
for many years in different States.
This accounts for the fact that our subject has been a resident of
almost every State east of the Mississippi River, and secured his
education in various localities. Arriving at man's estate he engaged in
the real estate business in Miamisburg for two years, and then embarked
in the cooperage business. He engaged in the latter occupation at
Minister, Auglaize County, Ohio, where he remained three years and then
moved to Cridersville, where he continued in the same work for another
two years. In 1902 he came to Lima and organized The Eagle Stave
Company, which was incorporated in 1905 with a capital stock of 25,000.
The officers of this company are: D. C. Dunn, president, and A. J. Dunn,
secretary and treasurer. They manufacture stave and hoops. Mr. Dunn is
president of the Atlas Cooperage Company, of Lindsey, Ohio; president of
the Dunn Cooperage Company, of Livermore, Kentucky; vice-president of
the Lima Progressive Association and president of the Colonial Column
Company of Lima, of which A. J. Dunn is vice-president and secretary and
Henry Groby is general manager. He is also secretary of the Humane
Horse Shoe Company, of Lima, and vice-president of the O. C. Robinson
Company, of Creston, Ohio, and of the Mercer Cooperage & Lumber Company,
of Fort Recovery, Ohio. Mr. Dunn has a business record worthy of
emulation. Beginning life with a capital of $50 in cash, he has shown
remarkable sagacity in his investments and has achieved his present
success by honest industry and application, backed by sound
common-sense.
In 1896 Mr. Dunn was married to Bessie Groby, daughter of Henry
Groby, who is a lumber dealer of Miamisburg. They have one child
Marian. Mr. Dunn is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and a man who stands high in the opinion of all who have the honor of
his acquaintance. His portrait accompanies this sketch, being shown on
a preceding page.

Valentine Heil

Valentine Heil, one of the leading contractors of
Lima, where he has resided for some 15 years, was born in Germany,
December 27, 1863. He was educated in his native land and there
completed an apprenticeship to the stone- cutter's trade.
In 1882 Mr. Heil came to America in search of more favorable labor
conditions. He located at Cincinnati where he continued to work at his
trade until 1890, and then came to Lima. Here he worked at his trade by
the day for a short time until he saw a good opening, and then entered
into a contracting business for himself and has continued in the same
line until the present. He has built up an extensive and profitable
business, and no man in the contracting line bears a better reputation
for reliability and skill. For the past few years almost all the
important building contracts have been proffered him, and he has erected
many of the most substantial business blocks as well as handsome
residences in the city. Among these may be mentioned the stone work on
the Y. M. C. A. Building; the Lima House; the Holland Block; the Hotel
Norval; St. Paul's Lutheran Church; the Black Block; the Adgate
Building; the Lima electric light plant; and the beautiful and
well-proportioned residence of these citizens: Lufkins, Agerter,
Selfridge, Curtin, Charles C. Miller, Henry Deisel and many others.
Mr. Heil was married in 1886 to Rosa Beyer, who is a native of
Kentucky, and they have a family of six children. The family belongs to
the German Reformed Church, of which Mr. Heil has been a trustee for
some years. Fraternally he is associated with the Eagles, the Red Men
and the I. O. O. F., of Lima.


Abraham Zurfluh

Abraham Zurfluh, one of the venerable and valued
citizens of Richland township, was born in Canton Bern, Switzerland, near
the village of Souboz, September 3, 1833, and is a son of Jacob and
Elizabeth (Ne Wahly) Zurfluh.
The parents were natives of Switzerland, where the mother died when
our subject was but 12 days old. The family consisted of four children,
viz.: Mary Ann, born in 1825; Katherine, born in 1827; John, born in
1830, who still lives in Switzerland; Abraham. The sisters accompained
our subject and family to Ohio and both died here.
Abraham Zurfluh remained on the home farm until about 18 years of
age, in the meantime devoted himself as closely as possible to his
books, with the result that he later became a successful teacher, and at
present has three languages at command French, English and German, the
latter being the medium of communication at home. This is somewhat
remarkable as the only training Mr. Zurfluh ever enjoyed was what he
obtained in three winters in a French school. In the month following
his marriage, he and his wife joined a party of some 80 members of the
Mennonite Church, who had decided to seek homes and religious freedom in
America. They left their home in Switzerland on March 8, 1852, for
Havre, where they took passage on a sailing ship, one of the old-class
vessels, 122 feet long, with few accommodations provided for the comfort
of the voyagers. They arrived safely in New York on April 28th and
reached Wayne County, Ohio, May 7, 1852. Mr. Zurfluh and wife remained
there until the first of the following July, when they removed to Putnam
County and, in what of other accommodations, lived in a church building
until October 28, 1852.
In the meantime Mr. Zurfluh had been looking about for a suitable
place to locate permanently and had secured his present farm of 80 acres
at a public sale of school lands, at Lima. The country all about the
new home was a dense wilderness, when on October 28, 1852, the little
family moved into a little log-cabin before either windows or door had
made it a very adequate shelter from the elements or from wild animals,
which were still plentiful. The little cabin of 18 by 22 feet, was
however, a home and we can well believe that happiness dwelt upon its
broad hearthstone. He was obliged to borrow in order to make his first
payment, on his first purchase, which comprised 40 acres; but he had
faith in what his industry and frugality could accomplish, and later
results demonstrated that his self-confidence was justifiable. Not one
foot of his land had yet been cleared and his nearest neighbor was
beyond sight and hearing. Through his persevering industry he cleared
the first body of land and subsequently added another tract of 40 acres.
He has now one of the best cultivated farms in Richland township and
one which is valued at a high price in comparison with adjacent
properties.
This farm is situated in section 16, Richland township and is on the
rural mail route, No. 2, from Bluffton, the carrier coming to his door
over well-graded highways, where Mr. Zurfluh can remember first wandered
a blazed trail, which he helped to widen into a good road. There are a
number of substantial buildings on this farm, including five dwellings
and a huge barn, 38 by 86 feet in dimensions. The main products of Mr.
Zurfluh's farm have been grain and stock.
On February 7, 1852, in his native land, Mr. Zurfluh was married to
Mary Ann Ranseiar, who was born in Canton Bern, Switzerland, January 18,
1832, and was a daughter of Isaac and Mary (Bartschy) Ranseiar. Mrs.
Zurfluh died on August 15, 1887. The children of this union were nine
in number, viz: Mary, Jacob, Anna, David, Elizabeth, Christian,
Katherine, Fannie, and Sarah. Mary married Benjamin Basinger and they
live near Pandora and have 12 children. Jacob, unmarried, remains at
home and operates the farm. Anna, who is the wife of Herman Kindle,
keeps house for her father. David lives at Lima. Elizabeth died aged
29 years and Christian died aged 25 years. Katherine is the wife of
Ferdinand Loney, of Bluffton. Fannie married Alfred Hochstettler. She
died of comsumtion. Her husband was accidentally killed while out hunting
quail. They are survived by a daughter Ella. Sarah is the wife of Amos
Luginbihl; and they reside with their five children on the homestead.
The biographer has been favored with a view of a most enteresting
group picture which was photographed at the home of our esteemed subject
on the 72nd anniversary of his birth September 3, 1905. It shows four
generations of the family, the most prominent being Mr. Zurfluh himself.
By his side is seated his eldest daughter, Mary (Mrs. Benjamin
Basinger), who was born June 28, 1853. By her side is her daughter,
Josephine, (Mrs. John Moser), who was born April 7, 1882, while in the
grand-grandfather's arms rests little Mary Elizabeth Moser, infant
daughter of Mrs. John Moser, who was born April 4, 1905.
As we have noted above, Mr. Zurfluh is an educated man. He taught
school in his own country in 1851 and up to the time of his coming to
America, in 1852. He taught five winters in the public schools of Allen
County and has taught in parochial and German schools. For many years
he has served as a school officer and his clerical ability has been
frequently recognized.
In religious life Mr. Zurfluh has always been identified with the
Mennonite Church, and he has always been a very active part in its
affairs here. For 12 years he was church secretary and for 28 years he
served as a teacher in the Sunday-school. It is said that he is more
conversant with dates and history of the Mennonite bodies than any other
instructor in his locality, and can trace its interesting history back
to its beginning in 1492. As he is able to read and converse in French,
English and German his services are frequently in demand as an
interpreter.
In his political convictions, Mr. Zurfluh is a Democrat. His first
presidential vote was cast for Stephen A. Douglas. From choice as well
as from religious motives, he has never consented to accept any public
office, except in the line of education. He is one of the best-known
and most highly esteemed representatives of the German-Swiss element in
Allen County, from which class has come so many of the State's most
reliable citizens.


Henry H. Heman

Henry H. Heman. Among the good citizens of Lima, now
living retired from business activity, is the subject of this sketch,
who for many years was connected with one of the largest lumber firms of
this city. Mr. Heman is also one of the heroic survivors of the great
Civil War, in which he almost lost his life. He was born at New Bremen,
Auglaize County, Ohio, December 8, 1843, and is a son of Gerard Heman,
who, with his wife, two daughters and one son died in the cholera
epidemic of 1848.
Mr. Heman was reared and educated by relative in Auglaize County
until the age of 17 years, when he enlisted in Company C, 37th Reg.,
Ohio Vol. Inf., and was mustered into the service at Cleveland, Ohio. A
lad in years, he was of a man's statue. His regiment was sent first to
Charlestown,West Virginia, and took part in its initial engagement at
Loop Creek. It was concerned in numberous light engagements and passed
back and forth between Ohio and West Virginia until January 1, 1863,
when it was ordered to Vicksburg. This regiment was the first detail of
troops to reach the city, and it remained all through the siege until
May 22, 1863, when our present interest in its movements pauses. It was
upon this date that Mr. Heman was struck by a cannon-ball during the
second charge on Fort Graveyard. During the charge the Confederates
began firing on the Union troops from Fort Hill, fully two and a half
miles distant. Mr. Heman was struck in the third volley, the first
having come between him and the fort, the second fell some 20 feet
distant, but the murderous third took, with its swift passage, Mr.
Heman's good right arm and killed his comrade beside him. In the days
of the Civil War, surgery had not yet attained its present perfection
and as anesthetics were scarcely in use, the unhappy wounded were
obliged to submit to the seemingly cruel treatment at the hospital tents
on the field, suffering tortures which would be nowhere permitted at the
present day. From the field hospital he was transported to Webster
Hospital at Memphis, Tennessee, and after two months of treatment was
honorably discharged on September 17, 1863.
Mr. Heman was then but entering manhood. He returned to Auglaize
County and as soon as sufficiently convalescent began to look about for
suitable employment. In October he came to Lima and went to work in a
grocery store conducted by G. Steiner, with whom he remained one year.
In order to fit himself for a more remunerative position he then entered
a commercial school at Fort Wayne; after graduation, he returned to Lima
and entered into a grocery business on North Main street under the firm
name of Smith & Heman. Two years later Mr. Heman served with entire
satisfaction for six years and in 1875 he was elected county recorder of
Allen County, serving also in this office for six years.
After retiring from public office Mr. Heman engaged for a time in
an insurance business and then became bookkeeper for the firm of Dobbins
& Ashton, lumber merchants, remaining with them in that capacity until
he retired, in 1903. Mr. Heman in public and in business life displayed
the same qualities of devotion to duty and fidelity to the trusts imposed
in him that made him a fearless and efficient soldier.
In October, 1874, Mr. Heman was married to Malinda Opt, who is a
daughter of the late Henry Opt, of Seneca County, Ohio. They have one
child, Homer Dow, who is employed by the Ferrel Brick Manufacturing
Company, of Zanesville, Ohio.
Mr. Heman is connected as appraiser with the South Side Building &
Loan Association of Lima. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and also
of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R.


E. R. Curtin

E. R. Curtin, vice-president of the Lima Trust Company
and general manager of The Manhattan Oil Company, of Lima, is one of the
younger business men of this city who have achieved success through
genuine ability and great personal enterprise. Mr. Curtin was born in
Franklin, Pennsylvania, in 1868, and is a son of William W. Curtin, a
well-known oil producer of this section who has been in the business
since 1865.
After completing his education, which included the common and high
school courses, Mr. Curtin entered into business as an employee of the
Wells Supply Company, with whom he remained for six years. His next
work was with his father and with oil companies in the Pennsylvania oil
field, and for seven years he was interested with the Neely Brothers,
the large operators of St. Marys. For the past 15 years he has been
with The Manhattan Oil Company, of which for five years he has been
manager. This company does a pipe-line business and owns a large
refinery at Welker, Ohio. Mr. Curtin is identified with the city's
interests in many ways, being vice-president of The Lima Trust Company
and a member of many of the city's public organizations.
Mr. Curtin was married in 1892 to Effie Allen, who was born in New
York, and they have one son, Emmet L. For a number of years he has been
prominent in Masonry, belonging to Blue Lodge, Council and Commandery at
Lima and the Consistory, at Toledo. He also belongs to the Elks.
For the past eight years Mr. Curtin has filled a large place in the
business life of the city and has won the warm friendship and hearty
esteem of the many who have had business and social relations with him.


Hon. John W. Manges

Hon. John W. Manges, Representative in the Ohio State
Legislature from Allen County, was born near Somerset, Perry County,
Ohio, March 1, 1857, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Staats) Manges.
The grandparents of Mr. Manges were Pennsylvania Dutch. They came
to Ohio about 1832-33, locating at Circleville, Pickaway County. Peter
Manges was born in Pennsylvania, January 1, 1830, and he was 15 years
old before he had mastered the English language. He died at Bluffton,
Ohio, in October, 1898, aged 68 years. He was a farmer and a
veterinarian, and during the last 15 years of his life he practiced his
profession to the exclusion of other occupations. He had three brothers
and two sisters. He married Mary Staats, who was born in Perry County,
Ohio, and died in Allen County in 1863. They had these children:
Harriet, who is the wife of T. L. Goble, of Paulding County; Amanda, who
married Rufus Parker, of Charlottesville, Virginia; John W. of Allen
County; Rachel, who died aged 16 years; and Charles J., of Bluffton.
In the spring of 1861, the parents of the subject of this biography
came to Allen County and settled on a farm near West Cairo. He remained
with his father on that and other farms in Northern Ohio until his
marriage when he located at Beaver Dam. His education had not been
neglected in the meantime and after finishing school he taught for 15
terms in Allen County. In addition to his farm interests he has engaged
in the fire insurance business; but for so long a period has he been a
public official that much of his time has been consumed in attending to
the various duties imposed upon him. For 20 years he has been clerk of
the School Board of Beaver Dam, was village clerk for six years, mayor
for four years, township clerk for two terms and for the same period was
township trustee, and is now serving his fourth term as justice of the
peace. In 1901 he was elected on the Democratic ticket to represent
Allen County in the State Legislature, and his course at Columbus met
with public approval to such an extent that he was reelected in 1903.
He has served on a number of important committees, at all times looking
out for the interests of his community, and has done excellent work on
the taxation committee, the dairy and food committee and on the
committee which looks after the affairs of the sailors' and soldiers'
orphans.
Mr. Manges was married in Wood County, Ohio, March 27, 1884, to
Lizzie Plowright, who was born April 10, 1856, and died January 18,
1905. She was a daughter of Henry and Mary (Cross) Plowright, natives
of England, who came to Allen County, Ohio, moved to Monroeville, Huron
County, and finally to Wood County. Mr. and Mrs. Manges have had five
children, namely: Flora M.; Layton; Charles, who died aged four and a
half years; Byron and George.
For 30 years Mr. Manges has been a member of the Church of Christ,
in which he has been an elder for a quarter of a century. His fraternal
relations are with the Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America.