Frank L. Maire
Frank L. Maire, a leading citizen of Lima, who, with
his brother, Edward J. Maire, under the firm style of Maire Brothers, is
extensively engaged in the production of oil, was reared and educated in
Crawford County, Pennsylvania, where he was born in 1871. When a young
man he embarked in the mercantile business at Bolivar, New York, near
the Allegany oil field in which he soon evinced great interest. Seeing
the profits accruing from this industry, he disposed of his mercantile
business and invested the proceeds in the oil fields there, later
extending his operations to Pennsylvania and giving his entire time to
the business. With his brother, Edward J. Maire, whose biography
appears elsewhere in this work, he invested in the oil fields of Ohio,
and became a stockholder in companies operating in New York,
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Kansas and Indian Territory. Maire
Brothers have well-equipped structure, which they purchased of John D.
Rockefeller, in November, 1905.
Mr. Maire has been a resident of Lima about nine years and has
taken an active part in promoting the welfare of the city. He is one of
the stockholders of The Lima Trust Company, and stands high in both
social and business circles. He is affiliated with the Masonic order.
Silas Reed, one of the prominent farmers of Shawnee
township, who resides on a well-improved farm of 60 acres in section 14,
is also a veteran of the Civil War, having given over three years of his
life to the services of his country. Mr. Reed was born in Fairfield
County, Ohio, January 18, 1840, and is a son of Samuel and Mary M.
Samuel Reed was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, and was a son of Noah
Reed, who was born in Licking County, this State. Samuel Reed was a
cooper by trade, working at his vocation during the winter and farming
in the summer. He owned a farm in Shawnee township, where he died in
August, 1894, aged 79 years. He married Mary Aker, who was born July
30, 1814, and died in March, 1905, at the age of 91 years. Their
children were: Clara, who married Josiah Snyder, and was left a widow
six weeks later, her husband dying in the army; Silas; Salem, a farmer
of Shawnee township; Isaac, a farmer of Shawnee township; John W.,
deceased; Freeman, a resident of Lima; Nelson, a resident of
Cridersville; Almeda, deceased, formerly the wife of Cyrus Nye; Emma,
the wife of Charles Andrew; and Laura (Redmond), a resident of Lima.
Our subject was a lad of 13 years when he accompanied his parents
to Shawnee Township. He attended school and assisted his father until he
was 19 years old, when he went to work for William U. Hover, with whom
he remained until he enlisted, soon after Fort Sumter was fired on. His
first enlistment was in Company A, 20th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under
Capt. Mathias H. Nichols, which was sent immediately to the front, and
until August was engaged mainly in guarding the Baltimore & Ohio
Railroad, during this period participating in numerous skirmishes. In
July 1862, Mr. Reed reenlisted, in Company B, 99th Reg., Ohio Vol.
Inf., for three years, of until the close of the war, when he was
honorably discharged at Cincinnati. The regiment participated in the
battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta and
Jonesboro; was with General Sherman's forces until the battle of Resaca
and was placed under General Thomas at Nashville. Here Companies B and F
were consolidated, or the former merged into Company F, after which the
command went to Washington and Wilmington, where it again came under
General Sherman and moved on to Salisbury, Raleigh, City Point and
Cincinnati. During this long period Mr. Reed distinguished himself as a
loyal, cheerful, faithful soldier.
Upon his return from the army, Mr. Reed was married an located four
miles west of his present farm, on which he lived for seven years and
then, in 1873, bought his present property.
On August 8, 1865, Mr. Reed was married to Harriet B. Napier, who
was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, July 7, 1843, and is a daughter of
the late William and Sara (Huff) Napier. Mrs. Reed was a babe of three
months when her parents came to Shawnee township. Her father was one of
the prominent and esteemed citizens here for many years, a man of
substance and much valued in the church and the community at large. Her
venerable mother still survives and lives on the homestead in section
14. Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had the following children, namely:
Florence, who died aged five years; Alta, living at Lima; Della, also of
Lima; William E., who died at Fostoria, Ohio, aged 24 years; Mamie, who
died aged 17 years; Ethel, of Lima; LeRoy, who died in infancy; Zelpha,
who married Edwin Pryer, and is residing temporarily in Missouri and
Roy, aged 15 years, who lives at home.
Like his father, Mr. Reed is a Republican. He was at one time an
active member of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., of Lima, but
does not now attend the meetings because of the distance from home. For
the past 48 years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal
William Archibald Campbell
William Archibald Campbell, postmaster at Lima, whose
portrait accompanies this sketch, belongs to one of the old Scotch
families which left Scotland in 1700 and, to escape religious
persecution, settled in Coleraine, County Derry, Ireland. The
decendants of Dougald, Robert and John Campbell came to America between
1730 and 1840, settling in Pennsylvania; from there the descendants of
Dougald removed to Rockbridge County, Virginia, and three sons of Robert
settled at Augusta, Virginia.
Mr. Campbell's ancestry dates to Robert Campbell. Samuel Campbell,
grandson of Robert Cambell and grandfather of our subject, became a
distinguished physician in Rockbridge County, Virginia, where he died in
1840. He was connected with Washington College and Washington and Lee
University as rector of the board of trustees, was treasurer of the
college and was president of the faculty from 1796 to 1799. Two of his
sons were graduates of the institution. He was married September 19,
1794, to Sarah Alexander, sister of Rev. Archibald Alexander, D. D.,
afterward president of Princeton College.
Charles Fenelon Campbell, son of Samuel L. Campbell and father of
our subject, was born September 13, 1803, at Lexington, Virginia, and
died at Georgetown, Ohio, September 2, 1864. He was graduated at
Washington College in his 20th year and was admitted to the bar as
attorney and solicitor in chancery for the State of Virginia. In 1824 he
went from Virginia to Brown County, Ohio, and practiced his profession
until his death, becoming eminent as a jurist throughout Southern Ohio.
He published the Whig, and later the Bee, at Ripley, Ohio. He received
a military education at the Virginia Military Institute, at Lexington,
Virginia, and when the Rebellion broke out he was commissioned by the
Governor of Ohio to organize the militia of his section of the State.
His labors in this capacity brought on the disease which resulted in his
death. He was an astute lawyer and an able and impartial judge. On
September 12, 1833, he was married to Harriet E. Kephart, of Ripley,
Ohio, and they had issue as follows: August K., Francis T., John Quincy
Adams, Mary Antoinette, William Archibald and Charles Delevan.
William Archibald Campbell was born at Ripley, Brown County, Ohio,
July 4, 1844, where he was reared and educated. In young manhood he
became interested in newspaper work and in this he has continued to the
present time. Mr. Campbell came to Lima in July, 1877, and with his
brother, Charles D. Campbell, established the Allen County Republican,
which was later consolidated with the Lima Gazette, under the name of
the Lima Republican- Gazette, and is now one of the leading journals of
the city. Mr. Campbell served in the War of 1861-65, in the Second
Independent Battery, O. N. G., Light Artillery. Since March 24, 1904, he
has been postmaster at Lima.
Mr. Campbell married Sallie S. Shaw, a daughter of Rev. Joseph Shaw,
of Bellefontaine, Ohio, and they have five children, Florence, Lillian,
Donald D., Beatrice and Dudley A. The family home is a comfortable
residence at No. 622 West North Street.
Charles M. and F. M. Leech
Leech & Leech, the leading firm of architects at Lima,
is composed of two brothers, Charles M. and F. M. Leech, son of William
F. Leech, of 1015 Rice avenue, Lima. Both were born in Allen County.
William F. Leech, the father, was born in Pennsylvania. For many
years he has been a leading contractor here, and his work is found all
over the city, represented by handsome residences and stately buildings.
He built the First Congregational Church, and also the Boone Block, the
latter a fine example of a well-planned business building. A soldier in
the Civil War, he wore the Union blue all through that stormy time as a
member of Company F, 14th Reg., Pennsylvania Vol. Inf., with the rank of
corporal. Immediately after the close of his honorable service, he came
to Lima which has been his place of residence ever since.
Frank M. Leech was reared and educated in Allen County and served an
apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade. For several years prior to
1896, when his present partnership was formed, he was in business as a
contractor. In 1891 he married Mary T. Hursh, who is a daughter of John
Hursh, a large contractor of Mansfield, Ohio. They have two children
Clara and Marjorie. The family belongs to Trinity Methodist Episcopal
Church, and Mr. Leech has served as a member of the official board.
Politically he is a Republican, and is a member of the Republican County
Central Committee. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias and
to the Royal Arcanum.
Charles M. Leech was born in Allen County, June 2, 1866, where he
was reared an educated. In 1890 he went to Columbus and while there he
was acting superintendent for John Flynn, the architect. In 1893 he
began in the architectural line himself, forming a partnership under the
firm name of Leech & Thomas, which continued until he came to Lima in
1896 and, in association with his brother, formed the partnership of
Leech & Leech. In 1892 he married Olive M. Sherrick, who is a daughter
of the late Noah Sherrick, whose father was one of the old pioneers of
Allen County. They have one son Donald. Mr. Leech is an active member
of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a stockholder in the
American Manufacturing Company, of Mattoon, Illinois. Both he and his
brother are men of sterling character, dependable in all business
transactions and skilled in their profession.
Since the formation of their firm, the leading one of the city,
Leech & Leech have drawn the plans and superintended the erection of the
Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, the
First Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Presbyterian Church at Portland,
Ohio; Methodist Episcopal Memorial Church at Van Wert, Mount Horeb
Church in Van Wert County, South Lima Baptist Church, German Baptist
Church at Lima, Wesley Methodist Episcopal Chapel near Lima, Disciples'
Church at Mannington, West Virginia, and numerous other churches at
different points. Other buildings of various kinds have been erected
all over the State, including a town hall at Beaver Dam and one at
Lafayette. In Lima they have done a great deal of work, recently
finishing Dr. Bennett's apartment house on West Market street, and have
submitted plans for important work in 1906. which will include two or
three blocks at Bluffton, the hospital for contagious disease at Lima,
and building in many of the neighboring counties.
Benjamin L. Jauman
Benjamin L. Jauman, senior member of the undertaking
firm of Jauman & Weger, funeral directors and embalmers, at Delphos, and
one of the city's esteemed citizens, was born August 10, 1876, in Marion
township, Allen County, Ohio, and is a son of Anthony and Cresencia
Anthony Jauman was born in August, 1837, in Germany, and died in Ohio
on Thanksgiving Day, 1903, aged 66 years. He was a pioneer of the
county and engaged in farming and dairying in Marion township. He came
to America shortly after the close of the Civil War and settled in
Marion township, Allen County, Ohio, where George Lang's mill and
elevator now stand. For 25 years he followed dairying and was one of
the best known residents of Marion township, one who was regarded with
general esteem, on account of his honest and upright character. His
widow, born in 1842, resides at Delphos. Their eight children are all
Benjamin L. Jauman was educated in the German union schools at
Delphos, and was 15 years old when he became a clerk for Joseph Krift in
the furniture business, some years later going to Delfiance, Ohio, where
he was employed in the furniture and undertaking lines. He then lived
at Lima for two years, engaged in the same business, and while there
completed a course in the Cincinnati College of Embalming. Mr. Jauman
then came to Delphos and, in partnership with his brother, Joseph
Jauman, embarked in a furniture and undertaking business, under the firm
name of Jauman Brothers, our subject taking charge of the latter branch
of the business.
On September 21, 1905, in partnership with Augustus E. Weger, Mr.
Jauman purchased the business of H. J. Burgfelt. The style of the firm
is now Jauman & Weger. They have well-equipped quarters on Main street,
in the central part of the city. Mr. Weger is also intersted in the
photographic business and devotes the greater portion of his time to
that branch, while Mr. Jauman is the active member of the firm in the
Mr. Jauman is a member of the Church of St. John the Evangelist at
Delphos. He is connected with the Elks and the Knights of Columbus, at
Lima, and with the Catholic Knights of Ohio, at Delphos. Both Mr.
Jauman and Mr. Weger are young men of irreproachable character and are
numbered with the best citizens of Delphos.
William R. Jones
William R. Jones, a prominent resident of Lima, is a
stockholder in a number of oil companies. He was born May 11, 1867, in
Steelville, Chester County, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Emmor S.
Jones, who was formerly a leading contractor of the county named, but is
now retired from active life.
The early years of our subject were spent on a farm in his native
county, where he later engaged in farming for himself, at the same time
buying and selling live-stock, greatly to his pecuniary advantage. In
1889 he came to Lima and immediately secured work with the Lake Erie &
Western Railroad, remaining in the freight department of that road for
about nine years. For two years he conducted a grocery store and then
resumed work in the railroad office for a short time. Then he and his
brother bought the grocery store on the corner of North and Jackson
streets, which they conducted under the style of Jones Brothers. Later
they disposed of that stock and opened another store in the Masonic
Temple, which they sold in 1902. They then invested their money in the
oil business, their first venture being in the Beaver Dam field. Mr.
Jones is a producer and contractor, with interests in the Cylinder Oil
Company, of Joliet, Illinois, whose official board is as follows: Julian
Barnes, president; John H. Savage, secretary; and George H. Munroe,
treasurer. He is also connected with the Eagle Petroleum Company, of
Cleveland, Ohio, the officers of which are: T. M. Marks, president; A. P.
Hammond, secretary; and H. J. Brooks, treasurer, all of Cleveland. In
addition to having an interest in these organizations, he has charge of
the Euclid Oil Company, and the Dr. Charles E. Lawton Company.
Mr. Jones was married November 17, 1893, to Addie M. Johns, daughter
of Samuel Johns, of Pulaski County, Indiana. They have two children
Frederick and Mary Helen. Mr. Jones is a member of the Church of Christ
and is also affiliated with the Knights of the Maccabees.
William A. Core
William A. Core owns 52 acres of fine farm land in
section 29, Perry township, where he has been a resident for several
years and as come to be known as one of the progressive agriculturists
and reliable, upright citizens of the community. He was born March 25,
1856, in Noble County, Indiana, his parents being William and Mary Ann
Wiliam Core, the elder, was born in Pennsylvania and remained there
until he had grown to manhood, when he moved to Logan County, Ohio, and
later to Indiana. He engaged in farming in Noble County, Indiana, until
1877, when he came to Allen County and settled on the farm just south of
the one now owned by our subject. Here he carried on farming until his
death, which occurred about 1883 at the age of 73 years. His death and
that of his wife occurred within the same year. She was formerly Mary
Ann Rogers, daughter of Horace Rogers, of Morrow County, Ohio, and came
originally from New York. She was the mother of the following children:
Celestia (Shindollar); Andrew, who, although under age, joined an Ohio
regiment and served three years in the Civil War, taking part in many of
the fiercest engagements; Euretta (Schamp); Horace; Seymour; Olive
(Fielder); William A.; Rufus; Gashum; and Marion.
William A. Core has been a farmer the greater part of his life.
When he came to Allen County, a young man of 21 years, he began doing
for himself by hiring out by the month as a farm-hand. He was
identified with the oil industry for about six years, together with a
number of citizens of Lima, but he abandoned that enterprise to give his
attention again to agriculture. He rented the O. B. Selfridge farm
which he cultivated about five years, after which he rented the farm of
his brother-in-law for five years, and then purchased his president
property of Frank Parrott.
Mr. Core was married in 1880 to Mary Lucettie Shockey, a native of
Perry Township and a daughter of Christopher Shockey. They have two
children, Arlie C., who was born August 2, 1882, and Clarence E., born
September 2, 1891. The elder son resides in Lima. He married Myra
Brewer who died in Colorado, where she had gone in the hope of regaining
her health. Mr. Core is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He
is a Prohibitionist in politics; but is independent enough to give his
support to the best man, regardless of party.
Philip Jacob Altstaetter
Philip Jacob Altstaetter, who resides on the old
Altstaetter homestead farm of 160 acres, situated in section 18, Monroe
township, was born on this farm August 10, 1861, and is a son of Jacob
and Catherine (Bucher) Altstaetter.
Elsewhere in this work in the sketches of Frederic and George L.
Altstaetter, brothers of our subject will be found an extended notice of
the parents of our subject who were the early founders of the German
settlement here, and for many years very prominent residents. Philip
Jacob is the 12th in their family of 13 children.
Our subject was reared to plenty of hard work on the home farm, as
his father was a man who believed in industry and set the example. His
schooling was obtained in the district schools and he remained at home
until 23 years of age. He then worked at the carpenter's trade for two
years at Dayton and continued to be thus engaged for some four years
after he returned to Allen County. After his marriage, in 1889, he went
to Columbus Grove and there first clerked in a dry goods and hardware
store, and then bought a half interest in a furniture and undertaking
business there, which he subsequently sold, returning to the old
homestead in 1898. Here he has carried on general farming and
On January 1, 1889. Mr. Altstaetter was married to Emma L. Miller,
who was born January 1, 1868, in Monroe township, Allen County, Ohio,
and is a daughter of Henry and Mary (Sauer) Miller, natives of Hesse,
Germany, who accompanied their respective parents to America in
childhood, the Millers, settling in Pennsylvania, and the Sauers in
Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Altstaetter have eight children, namely: Emil Henry,
Gilbert William, Clifford Jacob, Mary Catherine, Waldo Emerson, Albert
Arthur, Clara Helena and Lena Albertina.
Mr. Altstaetter is a Democrat. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias
lodge at Columbus Grove. He has the German's gift of music and is an
expert violinist. Among many interesting relics in the old homestead,
he takes especial pride in a fine violin which was purchased at Antwerp,
where he visited in 1885. This violin was made in Italy after the
pattern of one fashioned in 1715. The old homestead has numerous
examples of the cabinet-making skill of his father and some of the
pieces of furniture that were made from rough timber in the pioneer
days. He also prizes highly an old family Bible, which is still
well-preserved, although it was printed in 1745.
Samuel B. Early
Samuel B. Early, a prosperous agriculturist of German
township, has been a lifelong resident of Allen County, having been born
in Sugar Creek township April 15, 1849. His paternal grandfather came
from Germany to America and settled in Rockingham County, Virginia, and
it was there Jacob Early, the father of our subject, was born April 20,
1816. He grew to manhood and was married to Mary Simmons, daughter of
John Simmons, also of Rockingham County. About 1839 the family moved to
Ohio, and in 1862 became citizens of German township, Allen County. A
family of seven sons and two daughters were born to them, viz: Noah,
Isaac, Abraham, Jonas, John, Jacob, Samuel B., Sarah and Elizabeth.
Only four are living, namely: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Samuel.
Abraham, Noah and Jonas served in the Civil War, the last named meeting
his death at Stone River in 1863. Noah, who was a private, was severely
wounded but lived until October, 1903. Abraham was captured by the
Rebels and was still confined in Andersonville at the time of Lee's
Samuel B. Early was reared and educated in this vicinity and has
always been a farmer. He was married in 1870 to Emeline King, daughter
of Aaron King, of Logan County, Ohio. This union resulted in the birth
of 13 children, viz: Charles, who married Carrie Irvin, has two
children, Eva, and Ray, and lives in Van Wert County; Mittie, who
married Jesse Byerly in 1895 and has four children Lois, Victor, Faith,
and Dwight; Mary, who married Michael Roeder, of Bath township, and is
the mother of five children Edith, Dale, Irene, Don and an infant; Dean;
Schuyler; Sarah; John; Zelma; Russell; Jacob; Schula and two that died
in infancy. Mrs. Early died May 14, 1896, and our subject was again
married, in November, 1899, to Elizabeth Wenger, of Augusta County,
Virginia, and they have two children: Carrie Beatrice and Fleeta
Christine. Mr. Early is a trustee of the German Baptist Church, of Bath
township, of which he is a member.
Jesse Guy Honnell, M. D.
Jesse Guy Honnell, M. D. The death of Dr. Jesse G.
Honnell, on July 13, 1898, removed from Allen County one of its pioneer
physicians and universally valued citizens. Dr. Honnell was born in
Greene County, Pennsylvania, January 9, 1831, and was a son of William
and Ellen Honnell.
Jesse G. Honnell was one of a large family, his parents rearing 12
children. No family in his section displayed more notable patriotism
during the Civil War, than did the sons of William Honnell. One brother
of Dr. Honnell Capt. T. C. Honnell, served through the war; another,
Rev. William Honnell, was chaplain of a regiment during the war, and a
third, Rainey Honnell, was taken prisoner on the field of battle and his
young life went out in Andersonville Prison.
Jesse G. Honnell was about six years old when his parents came to
Ohio and settled at Sidney, in Shelby County, where he remained until 21
years of age. He obtained his literary education in the local schools
and prepared for medical college by reading with a physician at Sidney,
after which he entered the Cleveland Medical College, where he was
graduated when 24 years of age. He practiced for about a year near Port
Jefferson. In 1855 he married and with his bride came to Allen County,
locating at Beaver Dam, where he was the only physician for a long time.
This being the case, his practice was of the most exhausting kind,
entailing much riding over the country and loss of rest and sleep in his
efforts to respond to calls for his medical care. He was beloved and
honored and, when five years prior to his death, his failing health made
retirement from the profession necessary, he was followed into private
life by the love and gratitude of those whom he had faithfully served
for almost 40 years. During this time he had accumulated a competency
and had invested in farming lands, owning at the time of his death a
farm of 43 acres, on which Mrs. Honnell still resides and one of 160
acres north of the village, on which he had a tenant installed.
Dr. Honnell was married October 30, 1855, at Piqua, Miami County,
Ohio, to Amelia C. Clark, who was born April 25, 1834, in Livingston
County, New York, her parents being Rev. E. W. and Mary P. (Stiles)
Clark, both of whom were born in New York. The father was one of a
large family, having nine brothers and five sisters. Dr. and Mrs.
Honnell had six children, as follows: Estella, who is the wife of Henry
Shull, of Beaver Dam; Carrie, who is the wife of James E. Marshall, of
Chicago; Mary F., who died in infancy; Jesse C., who died aged 17 years;
and Eugene Guy, who resides on the farm with his mother.
Dr. Honnell was a man who took a deep interest in his community and
who kept well informed concerning current events. In early life he was
a Democrat, later became a Prohibitionist; but was ever what might be
called a politician; in fact he was inclined to vote independently,
turning his influence toward the candidate who in his judgment would
most efficiently perform the duties required. For about 40 years he was
an active member of the Presbyterian Church at Rockport. He is still
recalled by his fellow-citizens with the greatest respect and esteem.
James A. Jacobs
James A. Jacobs, a prominent agriculturist of Perry
township, residing in section 21, was born in Clinton County, Ohio,
March 4, 1833, and is a representative of one of the oldest families in
the State, the family having located in Warren County in 1802. His
parents were John P. and Elizabeth (Hazard) Jacobs, and his grandparents
were Jehu and Elizabeth (Kreitser) Jacobs, The Jacobs family were
founded in America during early colonial days when the first ancestor
came from England during the time of William Penn and settled in
Pennsylvania. The Jacobs were Quakers in religion and lived in what was
afterwards Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Here the great-grandfather,
John Jacobs, was born during the latter part of the 18th century. He
was a soldier of the Revolution and in 1812 located in Miami County,
Ohio, where he lived until his death at the ripe old age of 95 years.
Jehu Jacobs was also a native of Pennsylvania while his wife,
Elizabeth Kreitser, was from Holland. They came to Warren County, Ohio,
in 1802, before the State had been admitted into the Union, and located
on part of the land owned by Governor Morrow, of Ohio. This land was
little more than a wilderness which had to be cleared before any farming
could be done. They were industrious and persevering and, although they
began life poor, they accumulated considerable means during their lives.
Their children were Eliza, Samuel, John P., Ann, Samuel, and James J.
The last named, who is an esteemed resident of Lima, is the only member
of the family living. John P. Jacobs was born in Warren County,
Ohio, June 3, 1806, and was there married in 1829 to Elizabeth Hazard,
daughter of John and Elizabeth (Miller) Hazard, of Dutchess County New
York. They were the parents of four children, viz: Elizabeth, who died
in infancy; James A.; Phoebe D., widow of William Harrod and a resident
of Auglaize County; and Ann, wife of John Harrod, both now deceased. In
1833 John P. Jacobs came to Allen County on a prospecting tour, and the
following year brought his family, locating in Union township, which is
now in Auglaize County. They were the seventh family possessing
sufficient temerity to venture into the new country and the hardships
and privations endured uncomplainingly by them cannot now be
appreciated. In 1858 Mr. Jacobs moved to Perry township and lived in
section 21 until April 2, 1880, when his wife died. Thereafter he made
his home with our subject until his own death in February, 1888. He was
a Democrat in politics and a man of strong conviction and resolute
James A. Jacobs remained at home until his 23rd year, when he spent
two years in Auglaize County, returning in 1859 and settling on the
homestead where he still lives. In 1862 he went to California and for
about four years engaged in mining in that State, and in Washington and
Idaho. The trip out was made by boat, but the return was on horseback
with a party of about 20 other travelers. Mr. Jacobs has devoted the
greater part of his life to farming. He has taken advantage, however, of
the fact that his land lies in the oil belt and had 10 oil wells sunk on
his farm, which are no inconsiderable source of income. Mr. Jacobs was
married on April 17, 1856, to Martha J. Bitler, daughter of Samuel and
Mary (Rumer) Bitler, of Union township, Auglaize County. Six children
have been born to this marriage, viz: Elwin, John C., Samuel D., Charles
D., William H. And Olive O. Elwin, born February 24, 1857, became the
wife of F. M. Bacome (now deceased), by whom she had one chld, Frankie
G. She was married, a second time, to Thomas P. Leatherman, of Auglaize
Township. John C., born November 23, 1858, resides near his father. He
married Luella French, daughter of George French, and is the father of
two children, Jesse and Charles D. Samuel D., born October 28, 1860,
lives at home. Charles D., born March 27, 1870, died in 1890. William
H. was born March 3, 1872. Olive O., born October 2, 1874, is the wife
of H. C.Franklin, whose biography appears on another page of this work.
Mr. Jacobs is a Democrat and has held a number of township offices,
serving as justice of the peace and assessor. He is a member of the
Siskiou Lodge, No. 105, F. & A. M., having joined that order while in
Siskiou County, California. In religious belief Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs are
J. B. Palmer
J. B. Palmer, of the firm of Palmer & Owen, carriage
manufacturers of Lima, is a native of Columbus, Indiana, and was born in
1859. His father, George W. Palmer, is still a resident of Columbus and
is now in his 87th year. He has been one of the leading citizens of
Bartholomew County, was treasurer of the county for two terms and was
employed to rewrite the records of the county, a task which required two
years of hard work to complete. He was employed in the pension office
for 16 years.
When J. B. Palmer was a lad of 14 years, he went to Rochester, New
York, where he entered a carriage-shop and learned how to manufacture a
buggy and carriage from the raw material. He was with the James
Cunningham, Son Company for two years and then worked at different
places throughout the United States until 1899, when he came to Lima and
formed a partnership with M. D. Owen. They opened a factory at the rear
of No. 121-123 West Market Street, where they make a specialty of
manufacturing first-class buggies and carriages. During the six years
since their establishment they have done a good business, having a
splendid local trade and extending their sales into the surrounding
territory. They have the name in the State and merit the large
patronage accorded them.
In 1887, Mr. Palmer was married to Caroline Kaiser, whose father is
Henry Kaiser, of the Henry Kaiser Buggy Company, of Kenton, Ohio.
Their only child is Pauline Marie. Mr. Palmer is a member of the
Knights of Pythias of Lima.
William Franklin Boogher
William Franklin Boogher, who for many years has been
the most prominent businessman and citizen of Hume, is a man of great
business capacity, and has successfully engaged in various ventures.
He is a man of public spirit and enterprise and for years has
performed his share in making Hume an active business point. He is at
the present extensively engaged in the grain business, serves as agent
and operator for the Lake Erie & Western Railroad, and is postmaster of
Mr. Boogher was born in Greene County, Ohio, May 15, 1861, and is a
son of Seely and Margaret (Helwig) Boogher. His grandfather, Daniel G.
Boogher, who was a native of Pennsylvania, located in Montgomery County,
Ohio, when the city of Dayton had but four houses. His farm was
situated on the Green County Line, and a part of the family lived in
that county. He resided there until his death in 1882. He married
Rachel Danford and the had a large family of children.
Seely Boogher, father of our subject, was born in Montgomery County,
Ohio, and upon marrying located across the line in Greene County. His
wife, Margaret Helwig, a native of Allegheny, Pennsylvania, was seven
years old when she moved from Pennsylvania to Cincinnati with her
father, William Helwig. Two children were born of this union, William
Franklin, the subject of this sketch, and Alvin G., who lives in Santa
Fe, Auglaize County, Ohio.
William F. Boogher was a boy when his parents moved to Montgomery
County and there received his educational training in district schools
and in the public schools of Dayton until he was 13 years old, when his
widowed mother moved to New Bremen, Ohio, in 1874. He then entered the
post office at that place, and continued there until 1880, when he came
to Hume, accepting the position of agent and operator for the Lake Erie
& Western Railroad. He served as such until 1890, and after that date
served solely as agent until 1900, since which time he has again
discharged the duties of operator as well.
In 1881 he bought the general store and grain business of William L.
Metheany and has been in the grain business ever since. He disposed of
his store in 1895. In December 1881, he was also appointed postmaster
and has served as such ever since, except from 1893 to 1897, during
Cleveland's second administration.
He also operated a sawmill and engaged in the lumber business from
1885 to 1900. In addition to the many duties devolving on him in the
capacities enumerated, he was engaged as oil producer and contractor
during the oil activity in his section of the county, continuing during
the 12 years ending in 1902. He has an unlimited capacity for work and
at the time mentioned was putting in about 20 hours a day in hard work.
It is to his untiring efforts and a natural capacity for business he
owes his continued success.
On August 13, 1882, Mr. Boogher married Louisa Fritz, a native of St.
Marys, Ohio, and a daughter of Adam Fritz, of New Bremen. Six children
blessed their union, of whom the following are living: Alice M.,
William F., Jr., Charles Oscar and Hazel Augusta. Those deceased are:
Nellie E. and Edward L.
Politically, Mr. Boogher has always been an ardent Republican and has
held numerous township offices; among them township clerk for two years,
and member of the School Board for six years, serving one year as
president of the board. He was candidate for county recorder one year
in opposition to Peter T. Mell, and although defeated made a remarkable
race in the Democratic stronghold of Shawnee township he received the
handsome majority of 52 votes. It was the first and the only time the
township has ever gone Republican on a State election. For three years
he served on the board of directors of the Allen County Fair.
Fraterally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the
Fraternal Order of Eagles.
Although a comparatively young man, just entering middle life, Mr.
Boogher is a man of wide experience and has been the longest resident of
the town, being sometimes referred to as the "Father of Hume."
John N. Hutchison
John N. Hutchison, probate judge of Allen County, and
one of the most able members of the bar, is an old and highly respected
resident of Lima, having been a citizen for upwards of 30 years. He was
born in Monroe County, Ohio, July 10, 1845, and is one of six children
whose parents were Alexander C. and Rachel (Nelson) Hutchison. The
elder Hutchison was a native of Washington County, Pennsylvania, and his
wife was a native of Ireland. In his early days he had learned the
trade of a tanner and he carried on this work in connection with his
farming operations. He died in 1894.
John N. Hutchison was a student of Washington and Jefferson College,
of Washington, Pennsylvania, graduating with the class of 1872. James
G. Blaine was present at the graduating exercise of the class, and was
celebrating the 25th anniversary of his graduation from the same college.
He then read law at Wheeling, West Virginia, under the preceptorship of
Bridge Cracraft and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of West
Virginia in 1874, at which time he was also admitted to the practice of
the law in Ohio. In the fall of the same year he came to Lima and at
once formed a partnership with M. L. Brecker, the firm of Hutchison &
Becker being continued two years. Then this partnership was dissolved
and our subject became associated with Hon. John E. Richie. Later the
old firm of Hutchison & Becker was reestablished and continued until Mr.
Hutchison began practicing alone. He has a large clientage among the
best class of people and gives to his cases his best efforts.
Mr. Hutchison was married to Emily C. Cunningham, daughter of James
Cunningham, of Lima, who was an old settler and a veteran of the Civil
War. Two children were born to this union, namely: Clarence C.,
deceased, and Halce, who lives at home. Clarence C. enlisted in the
late Spanish-American War and underwent exposures that resulted in his
contracting quick consumption, from which he died in 1899. The family
are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hutchison once served as
justice of the peace and also served as city solicitor of Lima, and it
is the general consensus of opinion that there could not have been a
wiser selection for the office of probate judge. He is a member of the
local bar association and is also a prominent Odd Fellow and Knight of
Peter M. Neuenschwander
Peter M. Neuenschwander, deceased, who for over 30
years was a resident of Richland township, mainly engaged in
agricultural pursuits, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, June 14, 1842,
and was one of a family of 13 children born to John and Magdalena
(Loyman) Neuenschwander, the former a native of Switzerland and the
latter of Wayne County, Ohio.
At the age of about seven years Peter M. Neuenschwander accompanied
his parents to Iowa where they lived until he was 14. Returning to Ohio,
they moved to the present homestead of our subject's widow, where he
continued to live until 1870, when he went to Bluffton and for 12 years
was engaged as a brick and stone mason. He then returned to the farm,
but continued to work at his trade in addition to farming up to the time
of his death. The farm originally consisted of 160 acres, 100 acres of
which were afterwards sold and an adjoining 50 purchased. In addition
to this, he also owned 40 acres about half a mile from his home farm.
He was an energetic, industrious man and spent few idle hours. His
spare time during the winter was spent in hewing timber to be used in
the construction of his barns and other buildings. His first home was a
log cabin; but he built for his family four good homes at different times
during his life, one being a fine brick residence in Bluffton and one he
substantial brick house which is now the residence of his widow.
Mary Katherine Zerbach was born in Hessen, Darmstadt, Germany,
February 14, 1852, and is a daughter of John and Barbara (Thomasbarger)
Zerbach, with whom she came to the United States when a girl of 16. Her
father is now in his 86th year, hale and hearty, and makes his home with
his daughter, Mrs. Neuenschwander. The mother passed away about three
years ago. In May, 1870, Miss Zerbach and Mr. Neuenschwander were united
in marriage and a family of 13 children were born to them, namely: Noah,
a resident of Bluffton; William, a resident of Richland township; Louis,
also of Richland township; Dora, wife of Albert Logbrake, of Findlay,
Ohio; Alma, wife of David Steinbrenner, of Bluffton; Henry; Mary; Sara;
Walter, who is a student in the Ohio Northern University at Ada; Clara;
Gertrude; Bessie and one who died in infancy. Mr. Neuenschwander was a
Democrat and held various school offices, always using his influence for
the upbuilding and improvement of the schools. He was a member of the
German Reformed Church, and a man whose sterling worth caused him to be
universally respected. His death, which occurred January 1, 1902, was
regarded as a personal loss by all who knew him. His voice is no longer
heard, but the influence of his noble life will continue to be felt long
after the present generation has passed away.
John Berryman, one of the influential agriculturists of
Shawnee township, residing in section 3, was born August 19, 1843, in
that part of Allen County, which has since been set off to Auglaize
County. His parents were Russell and Margaret (Slain) Berryman and his
grandparents, William and Rachel (Clausen) Berryman. The grandfather
came from England and settled in New Jersey, from which State he entered
the Continental Army. Later he moved to Virginia and about the year1800
located in Montgomery County, Ohio. He and his sons entered a large
body of land which extended along the Auglaize River some two miles and
included what is now the Fort Amanda farm. Here he tilled the soil and
also did considerable work at shoemaking, which trade he had learned in
Russell Berryman was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, January 10,
1814, and seven years later accompanied his parents to Allen County.
The two white families who had already settled here comprised the entire
white population of the county at that time. Their supplies were to be
had only at the expense of a long, tedious journey to Dayton or Toledo,
and most of what we consider necessities were unknown to the pioneer
homes. As Russell Berryman grew older he helped clear the farm and care
for the growing crops and, as the land was rich and mellow, the wooden
mould-board plow answered very well for breaking up the soil and making
it ready for planting. When the grain had ripened, the sickle and
cradle were used for harvesting it, many of the pioneers boasting of
their skill and the rapidity of their work with these implements. The
Indians were a constant menace to the quiet of the rapidly growing
community and a military company was formed for defense against them,
Mr. Berryman being captain. He died on the homestead in 1877 in the
63rd year of his age. He married Margaret Slain, who was a native of
Virginia, and the following children were born to them, viz.: Cornelia
(Stocken); Ephraim, deceased; Rosabelle (Blackburn), deceased; John H.;
and James. Mr. Berryman was a Democrat.
John H. Berryman was reared to manhood on a farm about one mile south
of Fort Amanda, where he remained until 1867. He then rented a farm and
began buying and feeding cattle for the market. This proved profitable
and enabled him to purchase the Dickey farm, and afterwards the Goodman
farm, then known as the Turkey Foot farm. Following this, he moved to
Lima and engaged in the manufacture and sale of buggies for about one
year after which he returned to the country and located on his present
farm. About 1879 Mr. Berryman had purchased this property from the
heirs of his wife's father. In addition to buying and shipping stick,
he also began butchering, a business which he conducted for many years.
For about seven years he ran a dairy, keeping 60 cows to supply the
milk. His land is situated in the oil belt, and at the present time
eight wells are being pumped.
On March 12, 1868, Mr. Berryman was married to Sally Columbia Boyd,
who was born February 3, 1845, on the farm which is still her home. Her
parents were Abraham and Maria (Hover) Boyd. Her maternal grandfather,
Ezekiel Hover, came from New Jersey about 1832 and settled in Trumbull
County, Ohio, removing in 1833 to Allen County as one of the first
pioneers. Mr. and Mrs. Berryman have been blessed with a family of
seven children, viz.: Myrtle, wife of William Minton; Margaret, who
married John R. Jr.; Russell, who was a naval cadet four years and died
in his 26th year; Mable, who died when four years of age; Harriet, who
married J. M. Davis and died leaving two children Calvin Russell and
Harriet Berryman; Robert Fulton, a graduate of Oberlin College, who is
now a teacher in the Philippines; and Waldo, a member of Company C,
Second Regiment, Ohio National Guard, who lives at home. Mrs. Berryman
is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while Mr. Berryman holds a
membership in the Methodist Episcopal denomination. Like his father, he
is a Democrat, and has served as school director, justice of the peace,
trustee, assessor and supervisor. He was the party candidate for
nomination for Congress, but withdrew his name, much to the
disappointment of his many friends who would have strongly supported his
Henry Clifton Franklin
Henry Clifton Franklin, the genial proprietor of the
general store at Yoder, came to this village in 1900 and the following
year was appointed postmaster by President William McKinley, and
retained the office until it was discontinued in 1904. Mr. Franklin was
born in Perry township, Allen County, Ohio, about five miles from Yoder,
on November 28, 1867, and is a son of John Henry and Sarah A. (Schooler)
Franklin, deceased. His grandfather, also named John Henry, was among
the pioneers of Perry Township, locating early in the '30's and
remaining here until his death about 1874.
John Henry Franklin Jr., was born in 1832, probably in Allen County,
Ohio, where he lived all his life. He was a farmer by occupation and
was still a young man when his death occurred in December 1868. He
married Sarah A. Schooler, by whom he had five children, three of whom
are living, viz.: Sarah Elizabeth, who married Jonathan McPheron, of
Perry township; James I., who lives on the home farm in Perry township;
and Henry Clifton. Mrs. Franklin was a native of Knox County, Ohio, and
a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Fawcett) Schooler, who moved to
Allen County where they spent the remainder of their days. Mrs.
Franklin was married twice, her second husband being James Biddinger, of
Auglaize Township. The fruits of the second union were: William A.;
Orlin and Ellen. Mrs. Biddinger died in December 1894, at the age of
Henry Clifton Franklin attended public school and remained on the
home place until he was 20 years of age, when he entered the employ of
the Ohio Oil Company and for 13 years worked in the Ohio Oil field. In
1900 he located at Yoder and started in his present business. Mr.
Franklin is a Democrat, as has been the family for years, and is was in
recognition of his merits that he received the appointment of postmaster
from President McKinley.
Mr. Franklin was married in October 1893, to Olive O. Jacobs, a
native of Perry township and a daughter of James A. Jacobs, whose
biography will be found elsewhere in this volume. Two bright children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Franklin, namely: Yula, born August 6,
1894; and Milo, born February 25, 1898.