Salathiel A. Hitchcock, M. D.
Salathiel A. Hitchcock, M. D., whose portrait is shown
on the opposite page, is a representative member of his noble
profession. He is located at Elida, in German township, where he has
been in active practice for over a quarter of a century. Dr. Hitchock
was born July 9, 1843, at Junction City, Perry County, Ohio.
Dr. Hitchcock was married first on December 31, 1863, to Ellen Beck,
who was a daughter of George Beck, of Junction City, Ohio. Mrs.
Hitchcock died there in December, 1877, the mother of five childen,
viz.: Charles W., Frank A., George, Luella and Maine, all surviving with
the exception of George, who died in march, 1877. All the others are
married. The eldest son, Charles W. Hitchock, is a prominent lawyer in
practice at Bay City, Michigan. He is a graduate of the Valparaiso
College, Indiana. After serving six years as county commissioner of
schools of Bay County, Michigan, he was the candidate selected by the
Democratic party for probate judge.
Dr. Hitchcock was married, second, on May 29, 1879, to Eliza J.
Hummell, who is a daughter of Isaac Hummell, of Carroll, Fairfield
County, Ohio. They have three sons Clay, Roy, and Don. The Doctor and
wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church at Elida. He is a member
of the local subordinate lodge of Odd Fellows and the encampment at
Thomas C. Long
Thomas C. Long, of German township represents a type
of manhood that is the pride of our American civilization the self-made
man who has worked his way, unaided, to an honorable and prominent place
among his fellows. Born in Sugar Creek township. Allen County, Ohio, in
1855, he was one year old when his parents moved to Amanda township, and
was not yet nine years of age when death deprived him of their love and
care. He was bound out for about nine years, when he hired out to
William Anderson for one month for the sum of $18. Drawing his pay for
this work, he went to Lima and purchased two suits of clothes, one for
Sunday and one for everyday, and then returned to German township and
attended school in District No. 11 for the four winter months. When arm
work opened up in the spring, he hired out at $18 per month to William
Holmes and, during the seven months thus engaged, hoarded his earnings
so carefully that he spent but $2, receiving Mr. Holmes' note for the
balance. Again he took up his educational work, entering school in
Shawnee township and attending through the winter and spring months.
The following summer he took up painting and was able by close economy
to clear $200 by his season's work. Again he started in school for the
winter, spending all his spare time out of school in working for his
board. When summer came again, he took contracts for painting and
followed that work for two years.
In March, 1876, Mr. Long was married to Mary Benedum and a family of
five children have been born to them, namely: Wardilla May; William
Thomas, who is employed in the Indiana oil field; John Benedum; Harvey
and Amos. Mrs. Long died December 10, 1905, aged 49 years. After his
marriage, Mr. Long again turned to farming, having, in 1875, purchased
36 acres of land and in 1877 opened a stone quarry, to furnish stone for
the building of pikes and bridges. He did well at this work and has
been engaged in it ever since. Later he contracted for building pike
roads, and most of the roads in German township have been constructed by
him, as well as many others in the county outside this township. In
1892 he went to Van Wert County where he put down 48 miles of pike in
Ridge township, the work taking him four years. During the past seven
years he has done considerable repaving and about five years ago he
began making cement walks, barn foundations, etc., and as been very
successful. He has purchased outright 125 acres of land and has a life
lease on 90 more, where he keeps many head of cattle and horses. For
some time he has been engaged in buying and selling stock, his ventures
in this line proving very profitable. Mr. Long is a member of the Odd
Fellows and of the Eagles and is a zealous worker in the Methodist
Gorge L. Altstaetter
Gorge L. Altstaetter, proprietor of the "Pleasant
Fruit Farm," a fertile tract of 80 acres, situated in section 17, Monroe
township, was born in this township, February 5, 1846, and is a son of
Jacob and Catherine (Bucher) Altstaetter.
Jacob Altstaetter was born in Hessen- Darmstadt, Germany, February
21, 1811. Prior to coming to America he worked as a carpenter, and
during one year spent in Maryland he continued to follow his trade. He
desired a different field of work, however, and thinking that Ohio would
probably afford it he walked to Cincinnati; soon after he removed to
Dayton, and while working at his trade there met the estimable lady whom
he soon after married. At that time he was 25 years of age and almost
immediately after, in the fall of 1836, he came to Allen County, and in
the following spring settled on 40 acres of land, paying out all his
capital, $50, for it. He built a log house and shop on the farm and, as
the seasons permitted, alternated between work at his trade and clearing
up his land. He was deft at furniture making and frequently the
midnight hour would find him still at work fashioning chairs, beds and
tables for his neighbors, for which they paid him in labor. A man of
his industry could hardly escape accumulation capital, and he continued
to invest in land until he finally owned 600 acres, which through his
own efforts he almost entirely cleared. He was a hard worker all his
life and expected others to be industrious also. In appearance Jacob
Altstaetter was a well-set-up man, five feet in height, with a pleasant,
intelligent countenance and shrewd, kindly eyes. He lived to be almost
88 years of age, dying on the farm on which he had settled, November 10,
1898. He was a stanch supporter of the Democratic party, casting his
first presidential vote in 1836. He was a worthy member of the German
Evangelical Church, very active in its work, and during the greater part
of his life was one of the trustees. He was one of the first and prime
movers in the project of building the first church of his denomination
in the locality, giving first the ground and then the timber, and
subsequently presenting the church organ. He was always liberal in
church contributions and his advice and counsel always supported the
efforts of the ministers. He was a good man and a perfect type of the
thrifty, industrious, provident, home-building German.
On October 26, 1816, the mother of our subject was born in Montgomery
County, Ohio, not far from Salem; she died in Monroe township, December
28, 1903. She was married on her 19th birthday and accompanied her
husband to Allen County in the following spring, living a happy,
contented, peaceful and useful life for 63 years thereafter. Her parents
were John and Elizabeth (Miller) Bucher, residents of Ohio, the former a
native of Switzerland and the latter, of virginia. They became
residents of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Altstaeter had 13 children, 12 of whom
reached maturity and seven of these still survive.
Our subject, George L. Altstaetter, has resided in his present school
district all his life, and has carried on agricultural work ever since
he became old enough to hold a plow, the only kind of farm labor his
late father never did. He remained at home assisting until his marriage.
when he was 26 years old. His father was always just and generous with
his children and at this time he gave him an equity of $1,500 in a farm
of 80 acres which he chose from other tracts. Our subject subsequently
paid the remainder due to the estate, and settled on the farm in section
17, which he has occupied ever since. Along with other agricultural
operations, including extensive farming and the raising of considerable
stock. Mr. Altstaetter has paid a great deal of attention to the
growing of fruit. In addition to small fruits, he has an apple orchard
of four acres, The fruit-growing is such a feature that the name,
"Pleasant Fruit Farm," is very appropriate.
In addition to improving his land and adding yearly to its value.
Mr. Altstaetter has erected good buildings and a handsome residence, so
that the appearance of the place is very attractive. He has one of the
finest homes in the township.
On November 9, 1871, he was married to Margaret Olt, who was born in
Hessen- Darmstadt, Germany, on February 24, 1849. Her parents, Adam and
Eva (Orth) Olt, are both deceased, the father dying at the age of 36
years and the mother when 30 years of age. This is remarkable as all
four of Mrs. Altstaetter's grandparents lived to old age, three dying at
the age of 80 years and one at the age of 92. An orphan a the age of 18
years, she came alone from Germany, found plenty of friends in Dayton,
Ohio, and, as noted above, four years later was married to our subject.
To this union six sons and six daughters have been born, namely: John,
who died in his sixth year; Barbara, who is the wife of Fred Haas, of
Dayton; Louise, who is the wife of Samuel Bower, of Napoleon, Ohio;
Otto, who died aged four years; Adam, who died aged one year; Anna, who
resides at home; and Michael, who is a student in the senior class in
Lima College, and is a very bright young man, who can show a 90 per cent
average in all his studies; Emma, who died aged four and a half years;
Albert, who died aged five years; and Elise, Oscar and Freda, living at
Mr. Altstaetter has been identified with the Democratic party all his
life, and has been his party's choice for many of the important local
offices. He has served several terms as road superintendent, has been a
school director many terms and is now serving his third term as township
trustee, having served two terms some 30 years ago. Like his father he
has been a German Evangelical Church of Monroe township for years and is
one of the present trustees, a position he has held many times.
J. J. Ewing
J. J. Ewing, who is prominent in the business circles
of Lima, where he conducts a large hardware business, was born in
Trumbull County, Ohio, May 11, 1850, and is a son of the late Ralph
Ewing, of Lima.
In early life Ralph Ewing was a farmer, but later he moved to
Columbus Grove and there became a well-known business man and
representative citizen. He was engaged in the hardware business here
for a number of years with his son, our subject, under the firm name of
R. Ewing & Son. He died in 1897.
Our subject was an infant when his parents moved to Hancock County,
Ohio, where they resided until he was 11 years old, and then they
removed to Huron County, Michigan, where they remained for three years.
The next removal was to Bluffton, Allen County, and later to Columbus
Grove, where the father was in the hardware business with our subject
for 14 years. Then the son bought the father's interest, continuing the
business for three years alone.
Mr. Ewing then sold his stock at Columbus Grove and came to Lima,
where he entered into partnership with W. K. Boone, and for three years
a very successful hardware business was conducted under the firm name of
The W. K. Boone Company. Mr. Ewing then sold his interest, and in
partnership with a Mr. Emerick bought the stock of J. M. Dungan, who was
located at Nos. 225-227 North Main Street. The firm of Ewing & Emerick
continued four years, when the senior partner bought the junior's
interest and since then he has conducted his business under his own
name. With his years of practical experience in this line, Mr. Ewing is
well fitted to be the leading hardware merchant of the city, and in his
extensive establishment can be found everything pertaining to his line.
Mr. Ewing was married in 1872 to Jennie Bayley, who is a daughter of
the late Nathaniel H. Bayley, of Putnam County, Ohio. They have two
children, viz.: Madge and Porter J. The former is a graduate of Mrs.
Richard's private seminary in Philadelphia, and the latter is a student
at the University of Michigan, and a former student at Colonel Brown's
military institute at Germantown, Ohio.
Mr. Ewing, during his long residence in Lima, has influence in the
direction of the advancement of social, moral and educational interests.
He has not aspired to political honors' his preference being for a quiet
life devoted to his private affairs.
Robert Watt, one of Jackson township's prominent
farmers, has resided for the past 53 years on his present farm in
section 20, which now consists of 225 acres. He belongs to one of the
old pioneer families of Allen County. He was born in Champaingn County,
Ohio, November 16, 1827, and is a son of Samuel L. and Olive (Walton)
Samuel L. Watt was born near Marysville, Kentucky, and accompanied
his parents to Champaign County, the family consisting of four sons and
three daughters. His father, Thomas Watt, who was born in Ireland,
emigrated to America, settled first in Pennsylvania, went from there to
Kentucky and later to Champaign County, Ohio, where he died aged 80
years. He was a farmer and wood-worker, an expert manufacturer of
Wagons and ploughs. His children were: Robert, John, James, William,
Samuel, Joseph, Margaret, Polly and Betsey. William was the first judge
in Allen County. Joseph died in the War of 1812. All the Watt Brothers
entered land in Allen County and all settled along Hog Creek. Samuel L.
Watt owned several different tracts of land, and at one time a farm of
Samuel L. Watt married Olive Walton who was born in Quebec, Canada.
She came to Union County, Ohio, with her parents who were Joseph and
Deborah (Gilbert) Walton, natives of Canada. For his second wife Mr.
Watt married Mary Greer. The children of the first marriage who reached
maturity were: Deborah (Jamison), who died in Iowa; Robert, of this
sketch; Joseph, deceased in young manhood; James deceased; Thomas, of
Michigan; Harriet, widow of John Guthrie, of Nevada; Christina (Leech),
who died at Walla Walla, Washington; and Nancy (Enos), of Oakland,
California. The children of the second marriage were: John J., of
Louisiana; Samuel L., of Sac County, Iowa; Olive (Conley), of Iowa;
Lydia (Stouker), of Iowa; Sidney, of Iowa; and Sarah Frances, of
In 1852 Mr. Watt moved to Sac County, Iowa, driving through with an
ox team. Two months were spent on the journey and when he reached there
he located near Sac City, the county seat. He laid our Jackson township
there and named to after his old home township in Allen County. He
became the first county judge of Sac County, where he died.
Robert Watt, our immediate subject, remained at home until he was 20
years old and then went on a rented farm for a year before buying 40
acres of timber land in section 20, Jackson township. Little by little
he kept on buying land and clearing it until he owned some 500 acres.
Of this he retains 225, having divided the rest among his children. For
40 years he lived in the first little frame dwelling which he built with
timber taken from his place, but it finally gave way to the handsome,
modern brick residence in which he has lived ever since. Mr. Watt can
look back over years of honest industry. He cleared 100 acres of land
by himself and he has assisted his children to build comfortable homes
on land which he has helped them to acquire. He has done a great deal
of teaming and has had contracts for public work. He and his sons have
done the greater part of the pipe laying in their section of the county.
As a farmer, he has devoted the most of his attention to the raising of
grain and the breeding of draft horses.
In his 20th year Mr. Watt was married to Eva Staley, who was born in
Pickaway County, Ohio, May 13, 1825, and came here with her parents when
seven years of age. She is a daughter of Jacob and Eunice (Fisher)
Staley, natives of Virginia. They have five children living, as
follows: Samuel J., of Jackson township; James R., of Jackson township;
Marion; and William Henry and Jacob Allen, of Jackson township. Two
sons and one daughter died young.
Mr. Watt has been a life-long Democrat. He has been offered many of
the local offices but has accepted only that of township trustee. He is
one of the reliable, substantial and representative men of his township.