J. H. M. Morrison
J. H. M. Morrison, who has been engaged in the drug
business at Lima for the past 14 years, was born August 11, 1859, in
Darke County, Ohio, and is a son of James M. Morrison, a retired citizen
of Dayton. He was educated and grew to manhood in Darke County and then
went to Dayton, where he secured work in a boiler-shop. One year later
he went to Omaha, Nebraska, and there engaged in the transfer and
storage business for a period of four years. Since his return to Ohio
in 1891, he has been a partner of D. Cramer in conducting a pharmacy at
Lima being pleasantly located at the corner of Kibby and Main streets,
where they enjoy a large patronage.
Mr. Morrison was married December 15, 1887, to Emma Ridenour,
daughter of Jacob Ridenour, a lady of many estimable qualities. They
have two daughters Hazel and Helen. Mr. Morrison is a member of Grace
Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is trustee, and also holds the
same office in the Second Street Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an
active worker in the church and has frequently been a delegate at
conference meetings. He is a Republican and is at present a member of
the Board of Public Service of Lima, and has been a member of the City
Council and Board of Health.
Lucius John Russell Siddall
Lucius John Russell Siddall, long the leading man in
the leading industry of Bluffton, Ohio, the pioneer quarryman not only
of Bluffton but of all Northwestern Ohio, was born in Mahoning County,
Ohio, eight miles south of Salem. on the old mill property of the
family, not far from the village of Ellsworth. July 29, 1838. His
parents were Isaac and Rebecca (Altaffer) Siddall.
The father of Mr. Siddall was born in Virginia and the mother
belonged to a well-known Pennsylvania-Dutch family. She died when our
subject was nine years old. The ancestors on the paternal side were
from Ireland, and Isaac Siddall possessed many of the qualities which
have made natives of that land successful men the world over. He was
the father of 16 children by his first marriage and of two by his
second; 14 of these grew to maturity. For years he was engaged in the
milling business, and never ceased his industry until stricken with
paralysis. He died in 1872.
Lucius J. R. Siddall was 10 years old when his parents moved to
Rockport, Ohio. A few years later he accompanied his father when the
latter went to Mount Blanchard to run the Fahls' mills, and two years
later to the National mills, four miles up the river. Our subject
worked there some four years, all the time with his father, and in 1852
came to Bluffton, where his father bought a log grist-mill, run by water
power, together with 17 acres of adjoining land. He worked hard under
his practical, industrious father, and when the latter was disabled by
paralysis in 1867, he ran the mill by himself or two and a half years.
When is father died, he bought the mill at the appraiser's valuation,
$2,250. Subsequently he sold the mill and turned his attention to the
stone and lime business.
In 1872 Mr. Siddall, in partnership with Elijah Reese, under the firm
name of Siddall & Reese, bought and developed a quarry and later took in
another partner and formed the firm of Siddall & Company. Some years
later Mr. Siddall bought out the other partners and operated the
business alone, and still later opened up another quarry which covered
seven acres. He took I. M. Townsend into partnership and the business
was conducted as Siddall &Townsend for 18 years, when John Amstutz
bought Mr. Townsend's interest and continued with Mr. Siddall for one
season. Our subject then continued the operation of the quarry alone,
adding a larger body of quarrying land, until the spring of 1905, when
he sold out to the Buckeye Stone Company.
Since disposing of his quarry business, Mr. Siddall has been
interested in a concrete business, having a large plant, with excellent
facilities, producing a concrete which is used for cellars and other
purposes, and making a fine macadam for roads. During his active
operations he gave employment to some 50 men. Another line in which he
has been interested in the manufacture of the "Eureka" fence post, one
of the most durable posts ever placed before the market. For 50 years
he has been a leader in business circles at Bluffton, and has been
identified very prominently with the growth and prosperity of the town.
He still owns 17 acres of land that is now within the town limits.
In 1865 Mr. Siddall was married to Mary Elizabeth Katherine
Bridgeman, who was born in Hancock County, Ohio, about four miles from
Bluffton, January 26, 1841, and is a daughter of George and Eliza
(Grimm) Bridgeman, natives of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Siddall occupy a
fine brick residence at Bluffton, which Mr. Siddall built seven years
after his marriage.
Politically he has been a life-long Democrat, and on many occasions
his fellow-citizens have chosen to show him honor and confidence. For
six years he served on the Town Council and served several terms as a
member of the Board of Education. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow,
belonging to Bluffton Lodge, No. 371, and to Bluffton Encampment, No.
238. He is one of the oldest members of the subordinate lodge here,
having joined the order in 1864.
A half century is a long period in any man's life, and to have passed
through it, meeting competition in every side and overcoming obstacles
as every business man must, and still, near its close, be able still to
command the respect and esteem of one's fellow-citizens, reflects much
credit and should bring pleasant reflections.
Hon. Azarian D. Miller
Hon. Azarian D. Miller, one of Allen County's
prominent public men, probate judge, educator and successful
attorney-at-law, was born June 18, 1853, on the homestead farm in Amanda
township, and is a son of Joseph and Minerva J. (Shock) Miller.
Azarian D. Miller was liberally educated, completing first the
common-school course, and later taking advantage of the educational
institutions of Lima and the National Normal School at Lebanon, Warren
County, Ohio. From the age of 16 until he was 34 years of age, he
taught school more or less continuously, the greater portion of this
period in his native township, and it is safe to say that few men have
more personal friends in this locality.
Suring 1871 and 1872 he was employed as bookkeeper in the freight and
express office of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway at Elida,
Ohio, and as this did not require all of his time he served also as
clerk in the mercantile establishments of Rice & Leist and G. W. Moore.
During all this time he was quietly reading law, as opportunity
afforded. In 1877 he was elected assessor of Amanda township, on the
Democratic ticket, and in the following year was chosen justice of the
peace an office he satisfactorily held for the following five years. In
1885, having been admitted to the bar, he became a member of the law
firm of Remigton & Miller and began the practice of the profession in
which he has met with deserved success. Fire destroying his law library
in 1887, he relinquished his practice and retired to his farm. After
engaging in farming pursuits and the contacting business until February
9, 1894, he was called from his seclusion to accept the duties of clerk
of the Probate Court. He was elected to his present position in 1899.
In 1876 Judge Miller was married to Darthula Place, who is a
daughter of James and Susan Place, and they have these children: Lehr
E., Fredia G., Susan J., James J., and Mabel. The family belongs to the
Methodist Episcopal Church.
Judge Miller has always been prominent in Democratic politics, has
been a member of the Democratic County Central Committee, and was sent
as a delegate to the St. Louis National convention from the Fourh
Congressional District. He is fraternally connected with the Elks, in
which order he has held many positions; is a charter member of the
Spencerville Lodge of Knights of Pythias and of the Modern Woodmen of
America and the Home Guards of America. His residence at Lima is at No.
937 West High street. A portrait of Judge Miller is presented on a
foregoing page in connection with this sketch.
Salem Reed, one of Shawnee township's leading citizens
and substantial farmers, is also a survivor of the Civil War. He owns a
well-improved farm of 80 acres, located in section 14, Shawnee township,
which was formerly a part of the old Napier homestead. Mr. Reed was
born in Fairfield County, Ohio, May 2, 1842, and is a son of Samuel and
Mary M. (Aker) Reed.
Samuel Reed, the father of our subject, was born in Fairfield County,
Ohio, and was a son of Noah Reed, a native of Licking County, Ohio. He
died on his farm in Shawnee township in August, 1894, aged 79 years. He
married Mary M. Aker, who was born July 30, 1814, and died in March
1905, at the age of 91 years. Their children were: Clara, Silas, Salem,
Isaac, John W., Freeman Nelson, Almeda, Emma and Laura.
Salem Reed accompanied his parents to Shawnee township in 1853. He
attended school until he was about 18 years old, and remained
practically on the home farm until he had attained his majority, working
for neighboring farmers as well as his father. On February 1, 1864, he
enlisted for service in the Civil War, joining Company H, 74th Reg.,
Ohio Vol. Inf., in which he served until the close of hostilities. He
participate in many battles, the first one of importance being that at
Resaca. His regiment was often employed in guarding railroad,
accompanying Sherman to the sea and participating in all that wearying
campaign which resulted in such great victories for the Union cause. It
remained in North Carolina until after the surrender of Johnstown.
After the war he returned home, where he lived until his marriage,
when he bought a tract of land in Shawnee Township, near the family
homestead and partially cleared it; but in a few years settled on
another farm he had purchased, on which he resided for nine years. For
the past 22 years Mr. Reed has been living on his present place, where
he has carried on general farming and stock-raising.
In 1866 Mr. Reed was married to Elizabeth Adelia Napier, who was
born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1841, and is a daughter of
those honored old pioneer settlers of the township, the late William and
Sarah (Huff) Napier, her father was one of the leading men of the
township during a long and exemplary life. He died in March, 1900, and
is survived by his venerable wife who still resides on the old homestead
in section 14, Shawnee township. Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had eight
children, namely: Ida, who married William Hover and has two children,
Palleene and Alleene; Samuel W., who married Florence Wilson and resides
in Cleveland; Lulu, who married Frank H. Place and has seven children
Frank, Belva, Lee Everette, Ralph, Eudora Lu, Olive, and an unnamed
infant; Smith Hamlin, who married Lulu Klippinger and has one daughter
Evelyn, the family residing at Toledo; Florence LaVerne, who married
Clyde Coleman and resides at Toledo; Walter Cledith, a resident of
Cleveland; Maud Sylvania, who married Clarence McDaniel the couple
living at home; and an infant, deceased.
Politically Mr. Reed is identified with the Republican party, but is
not always bound by party ties, voting occasionally according to his
personal judgment of candidates. Formerly he was active in Mart
Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., at Lima; but, like his brother Silas,
finds the distance too great to make attendance easy. He is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church and a liberal contributor to its support.
A. D. Hildreth
A. D. Hildreth, the enterprising general
superintendent at Lima of the Prudential Insurance Company of America,
is a prominent and highly esteemed citizen of this city, who may always
be depended upon to lend his influence and substantial support to any
enterpise which has for its object the welfare of the place. He is a
son of David Hildreth, who has devoted his life to agricultural pursuits
in Union County, Ohio, where he is still living in the 84th year of his
age. Born and reared in Union County, our subject received there the
rudiments of his education, supplementing it with four years in the
college at Delaware.
In January, 1896, soon after leaving college, Mr. Hildreth located in
Columbus, Ohio, where he at once became an agent for the Prudential
Insurance Company. In a short time his ability received recognition and
reward by his promotion to the office of assistant superintendent of
the company, with headquarters at Columbus. Three years later he was
placed in charge of the general offices at Lima, with supervision over a
territory consisting of 11 counties. These offices were established in
Lima in 1893, and were in charge of E. Newman until September 25, 1899,
when Mr. Hildreth was made general superintendent. He has branch
offices at St. Marys, Findlay, Van Wert, Defiance and Bowling Green,
requiring eight assistant superintendents and 40 agents to handle the
large volume of business which does an extensive business, both in
industrial and ordinary insurance, and is one of the strongest companies
in the field.
Mr. Hildreth was married, in 1890, to Minnie Baker, a daughter of
Lyman G. Baker, a retired farmer of Marysville, Ohio. They have one
child, Harold A. Mr. Hildreth is a stockholder in the Columbus Savings &
Trust Company, and also has other interests in that city. He is a
member of the Knights of Pythias, and an earnest Christian who takes a
leading part in the work of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and
Sunday School. He is also deeply interested in the progress of the Y.
M. C. A., being vice-president of the Y. M. C. A. parliament, a member
of the board of directors of that institution and chairman of the
William A. Bowers
William A. Bowers, a substantial resident of section
31, German township, was born in the neighboring township of Amanda, on
January 14, 1862. His parents William and Rebecca (Barnt) Bowers, were
well-known in Allen County, both of them having come here with their
parents when they were children of eight years. The father was from
Fayette County and was a son of Solomon Bowers. The mother came from
Fairfield County. The family consisted of two sons and nine daughters,
namely: Charles Wesley, a farmer residing in Amanda township; William
A.; Hannah Jane, who married Nathaniel Stoup and is the mother of two
children; Sarah Elizabeth, who married David Hillyard and died leaving
seven children; Deborah Ann, who married Levi Crites, of Kemton, and is
the mother of two children; Mary Catherine, who married Franklin P.
Shobe, of Amanda township and has six children; Rebecca Angeline, wife
of John Swartz, of Amanda township and the mother of two children;
Martha, who died in infancy; Curlila, who married Abia Car, of Amanda
township and has eight Children; Eliza who died at the age of five
years; and Emma Sabina who married James Stalter of Muncie, Indiana, and
has four children.
William A. Bowers was reared and educated in his native township,
where he engaged in farming for several years. He owned 104 acres of
land situated in section 31 German township, and section 36, Amanda
township. He lived on his farm until 1901, when he moved to Lima and
purchased the Botkins livery stable, which he conducted in partnership
with Jacob Shobe. Later he sold his interest in the business to his
partner and purchased the Fisher livery barn, which he ran for about 18
months. This was then sold and Mr. Bowers moved back to the farm. He
purchased a farm in Wyandot County, which he traded for the Lima truck
line, moving to Lima to take charge of the business. After operating it
for 75 days he sold it to John Harley, and again returned to his farm in
the spring of 1905. The following October he purchased the Shobe farm,
which contains 65 acres, thus giving him 90 acres in one tract.
Mr. Bowers was married October 4, 1883, to Nona B. Highland, daughter
of Joseph and Elizabeth (Berry) (McDonald) Highland, of Allentown.
Joseph Highland was born March 7, 1837, and died December 26, 1891. His
wife was a daughter of David and Elizabeth (McIntyre) Berry, who came
from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, to Ohio, stopping a short time
in Clark County and then locating in Allen County, when Mrs. Highland
was about eight years of age. Mrs. Highland was born November 27, 1832,
and was twice married, her first husband being William Wesley McDonald.
Mrs. Bowers has one sister, Ida Herring, and a brother, Marion, who died
at the age of five years. Mr. Bowers has three children, Verne Lester,
born August 16, 1887, who is a student at Elida; Myrtle Leona, born April
21, 1894; and Zelma Irene, born September 28, 1897. Mr. Bowers is a
trustee of the Christian Church in Amanda Township, of which he is a
C. F. Stolzenbach
C. F. Stolzenbach, president of the Stolzenbach Baking
Company, and of the Allen County Building & Loan Association, is a
prominent figure among the business men of Lima. Mr. Stolzenbach was
born at Roseville, Muskingum County, Ohio, where he was reared and
After completing his schooling, Mr. Stolzenbach entered his uncle's
bakery at Zanesville, Ohio, with whom he remained for six years, in this
time becoming a skilled baker. His uncle, Conrad Stolzenbach, is still
in the business and is associated with the National Biscuit Company.
From Zanesville our subject went to Pittsburg, Detroit and Columbus,
working in all these cities and learnng every chemical secret of the
trade as well as perfecting himself in the manufacture of every kind of
Mr. Stolzenbach then located at Newcomerstown, where he opened up a
first- class bakery; but he soon found that the place was too small for
the goods he was able to put upon the market and he remained there only
until 1889, when he bought the Diamond bakery at Lima, entering into
partnership with a Mr. Benton under the firm name of Stolzenbach &
Benton. After conducting the business for six months under that style,
Mr. Stolzenbach bought the Benton interest and admitted his father to
partnership. The new firm became Stolzenbach & Company which continued
thus until 1904, when the business was incorporated as the Stolzenbach
Baking Company, with a capital stock of $30,000, fully paid up. The
officers of the company are: C. F. Stolzenbach, president; J. H.
Stolzenbach, vice-president; and Martin Stolzenbach, secretary and
treasurer. The plant turns out weekly some 35,000 loaves, their
specialties being "Butternut" and "Mother's" bread, both these brands
being in large demand. The plant is equipped with every modern and
sanitary appliance, its capacity being 10,000 loaves daily.
In 1892 Mr. Stolzenbach was married to Magdalena Hickey, who is a
daughter of Henry Hickey, of Putnam county, and they have six children:
Edward, Mary Louise, Magdalena, Charles Henry, Robert W., and an infant
daughter. The family belongs to the Lutheran Church and Mr. Stolzenbach
has been a deacon of St. Paul's congregation for the past nine years.
Mr. Stolzenbach is a prominent member of the National Bakery
Association of the United States. He attended the annual meeting of
this body at the Arlington Hotel, Washington City, on September 11,
1905, joining the Chicago contingent on a special car. He is one of
Lima's capitalists, a stockholder and director in The Lima Telephone &
Telegraph Company and is treasurer of the National Roofing Tile Company.
For a number of years under both Republican and Democratic
administrations, he has been a member of the city Board of Health. He
is always prominent in all public-spirited movements, gives largely to
charity, and fulfills every duty incumbent upon a conscientious,
broad-minded man and citizen.