EZEKIEL HOVER

EZEKIEL HOVER, the veteran ice dealer of Lima, was
born in this county in 1849 and has lived here all his life, having been
reared and educated in Shawnee township.  His father was Charles Adgate
Hover, who came to this county in 1833 with his parents, Ezekiel and
Sarah (Adgate) Hover, and followed agricultural pursuits throughout his
life.  Charles Adgate Hover married Adaline Smedley and to them were
born eight children.
    The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm and followed
agricultural occupations until 1875, when he located in Lima and engaged
in the ice business, which he has since conducted.  For 28 years the
company was known as Thomas & Hover, his partner being John Thomas, who
retired in January, 1902, leaving Mr. Hover in sole possession of the
business.  In addition to his large ice business, which he has conducted
so profitably, Mr. Hover is interested in various enterprises, and is an
energetic, enthusiastic citizen whose influence is an inspiration to his
community.
    In 1872 Mr. Hover was married to Elizabeth A. Bresler, a daughter of
the late Joseph Bresler, who was a pioneer citizen of Lima and was
marshal of the city during the Civil War.  Of the children born to this
union, three are living, namely: C. A., manager of the Muncie (Indiana)
Builders' Supply Company; Kathrine, wife of Charles Herbst, of Nelson &
Herbst, merchant tailors of Lima; and Harriet.  Mr. Hover is a member of
the Knights of Pythias.  He was reared a Presbyterian.  

JOHN BIXEL

JOHN BIXEL, cashier of the First National Bank of
Bluffton, has been a lifelong resident of the town, having been born
here June 11, 1869.  His father is Peter Bixel Sr., a farmer residing
near Bluffton.  Mr. Bixel acquired a good, practical business education,
attending the Bluffton High School,  from which he was graduated in the
class of 1889.  The following eight years were spent in teaching in
district schools, during which time he took the work of the Ohio Normal
University at Ada, Ohio.  His first venture in the commercial world was
in the grocery business with his brother David.  Bixel Brothers
conducted their store for three years, and then our subject disposed of
his interest in the concern to his brother and became a partner of B. C.
Mann, who was engaged in the shoe and clothing business.  Two years
later the firm of Bixel & Mann was dissolved by Mr. Bixel's withdrawal
from the company.
    About this time the First National Bank was organized, Mr. Bixel
being one of the promoters of the enterprise, and he was chosen as
cashier, a position which he has since retained to the perfect
satisfaction of all concerned.  The first officers of the bank were:
Simon Herr, president; Lewis S. Duper, vice-president; John Bixel,
cashier, the foregoing with Amas A. Geiger and A. J. Solomon
constituting the board of directors.  The only change make since in this
list of officers was occasioned by the withdrawal of Mr. Solomon, who
sold his stock to Henry Gratz, who was later elected a director.  Mr.
Bixel was one of the chief promoters of the Beaver Dam Bank, which was
organized in 1902.  This is a private bank, of which Mr. Herr is
president and our subject, one of the directors.
   Mr. Bixel married Halla Russell, who is a native of Bluffton and a
daughter of Orin and Ella (Halla) Russell.  Her grandfather was Daniel
Russell, one of the first residents here.  He was president of the first
bank established, the People's Bank, and also conducted a general
merchandise store and grain depot, his son Orin being a partner under
the firm name of Russell & Son.  Both are deceased.  Mr. Bixel has one
child, a son, Russell L., born April 19, 1899.  Our subject is a member
of the Mennonite Church and one of Bluffton's most forceful and
enterprising men.

JAMES M. COCHRAN

JAMES M. COCHRAN, one of the well-known residents of
Marion township and a veterinarian of great skill, belongs to one of the
very old families of Tennessee, which is also numbered among the old and
honored pioneer families of Allen County.  His male ancestors were
distinguished both in the War of the Revolution and in the War of 1812.
    James M. Cochran, the great-grandfather of the present James M., was
born in Scotland and came to America prior to the Revolutionary War.  He
settled among the mountains of Tennessee, took an active part in the
affairs of his section, participated in the border wars and, as far as
known, protected his property and family in those pioneer days, as
became a man of sturdy courage.  His three sons were named, William,
Benjamin and Isaac.
   William Cochran, the eldest, was our subject's paternal grandfather.
He was born in Tennessee and served seven years in the Indian wars of
his native State.  In the War of 1812 he also served as a soldier and
for this service received a land grant of 100 acres located in Paulding
County, Ohio.  He had settled, prior to this, among the pioneers of Ross
County, Ohio, where he married Betsey Mannery, a lady of Irish
extraction and of Revolutionary ancestry.  To this marriage were born 10
children, of whom the following reached mature years:  John M., Jane,
James, Catherine, Nancy and William.  Of these.  John M. was treasurer
of Putnam County.  When he went to the county seat to make settlement,
he carried the funds in his wallet on horseback, the amount at that time
not exceeding $60.  William, his brother, was one of the early sheriffs
of Putnam County, a representative man of his day, prominent in
political and business life. 
    William Cochran the elder was an able man and left the impress of
his sterling character on every locality in which he lived.  From Ross
County he moved in 1821 to what is now Allen County.  He "squatted" on a
small farm on the Auglaize River and during his short period of
residence cleared up one field.  This farm, located in section 4, Marion
township, is now owned by the King family and is occupied by a Mr.
Wagner.  After the land came into the market Benjamin Cochran bought it
and William then removed to the farm now occupied by Mr. Long, located
two miles north of Dr. Cochran's home in section 22, with the Auglaize
River bordering it on the west.  Later he bought 103 acres at
Middlepoint, at the age of 88 years, one of the few survivors of the
pioneers who had came to Allen County before the Shawnee Indians had
departed.  He served officially in Putnam (Allen) County, and was a
circuit court judge, being appointed at Kalida, Ohio.
    James Cochran, the third son of William Cochran and father of Dr.
Cochran, was born in Ross County, Ohio, November 25, 1804.  Born among
pioneer surroundings, his education was limited.  School terms were of
short duration in those days and accommodations necessarily poor in the
small, hastily constructed log school-houses; but he possessed the native
ability of his family and was reckoned among the well-informed men of
his day.  The large amount of active, outdoor exercise involved in
clearing and cultivating the pioneer farm, gave him a stalwart frame and
the robust health which prolonged his years for beyond those of his
contemporaries.  He died in Marion township, Allen County, June 12,
1893.  His son, our subject, can recall many of the conditions of
pioneer life from his own experience and many others from hearsay, and
they are very interesting as presenting a picture so different from what
may be seen here at the present day.
    The family home was built first of round logs, right in the forest,
but a more secure one was later constructed of hewed logs.  The clearing
of the 100 acres, on which Dr. Cochran now resides, was done with ox
teams, the great strength of the oxen performing the tasks which now
would be done by machinery.  Mr. Cochran used the old wooden mold-board
plow and threshed his grain with a flail.  The Shawnee Indians were yet
a powerful tribe in this section, in fact, when Mr. Cochran came to the
county he had but three families of white neighbors.  Treating the
Indians with justice, Mr. Cochran made friends with the braves and they
traded together to their mutual benefit, and no Indians ever endangered
the peace of his family.  With the assistance of his white neighbors,
Mr. Cochran blazed paths through the forests.  Wild animals still roamed
all through this section, the wolves and deer coming to the very door.
A number of the latter were shot from the doorstep, for food.  The
larder was also easily supplied with fish from the clear Auglaize River.
    For household supplies it was necessary to go to Defiance by boat,
and to Pickaway with grain for the mill, the latter trip being one of
importance and requiring a week's absence form home.  With his neighbors
Mr. Cochran assisted in the building of the canal, worked in the timber
getting out material for the building of the locks on the same, and also
worked on flatboats which were built at Wapakoneta for use on the river.
    James Cochran was twice, married; first on September 10, 1826, to
Julia Ann Russell, who was a daughter of one of the first settlers in
Amanda township, where he located in 1817, lived at Fort Amanda and was
a large Indian trader.  The children of this marriage were:  William,
who was born in 1829, and two daughters, both of whom died.  The mother
of these children died in 1834.  Two years later Mr. Cochran married
Isabella Sunderland, and 12 children were born to this union, the
survivors being: Elizabeth, wife of Isaac Stemen, of Huntington,
Indiana; Julia Ann, wife of Henry Temple, of Convoy, Ohio; Mary, wife of
Robert Martin, of Nebraska; James, the subject of this sketch; Ellen,
wife of William Daniels, of Missouri; Nancy, wife of Clarence Hurlbutt,
of German township; and Orlando, a resident of Boston, Massachusetts.
Hattie, deceased, was the wife of Frank Elder.  George served in the
Civil War as a member of McLaughlin's Squad, Ohio Cavalry, and was taken
prisoner in Stoneman's raid.  He was incarcerated in Andersonville
Prison and died in Mellon Prison in October, 1848.  James Cochran was a
magistrate in Marion township and served in a number of the township
offices. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church.
    James M. Cochran, the immediate subject of this sketch, was educated
in the schools of Marion township, in which township he has always had
his residence.  When not more than seven years of age, he assisted in
filling in the embankment of the P., Ft. W. & C. Railway near his home,
hauling the dirt in his little cart.  He well remembers the old days of
harvesting, when he used the old-fashioned cradle almost from sunrise
to sunset, for 75 cents a day.  His present fine farm is operated by a
tenant along modern lines.  His beautiful residence and substantial farm
buildings are very noticeable from the Lima turnpike road, the highway
which passes his gate.
    Dr. Cochran has always taken more than the usual interest that an
agriculturist and stockman takes in the health and development of
animals, appreciating their many admirable qualities and understanding
their structure and ailments.  During the Civil War, as a member of
Company B, McLaughlin's Squad, Ohio Cavalry, he put many of his theories
into practice, which resulted in the saving of many horses to the
service.  Since 1880 he has given almost constant attention to a
veterinary practice which extends all over the county.  He has attended
no college; but he has gained a wonderful amount of useful knowledge in
his progression through practical experience and real interest in his
work.
   Dr. Cochran has been twice married; first to Ellen Roush, who was a
daughter of Jacob Roush of Amanda township.  The death of his first wife
and two sons, William S. and Edward, left him not only with his domestic
peace disturbed, but just at that time overcome with financial
difficulties, in fact without a dollar.  He was living on his
father-in-law's farm and Mr. Roush insisted upon his remaining there.
Through great industry and perseverance he managed to regain his
financial standing, and now is one of the substantial men of the
township.  In 1878 he married second, Catherine Baxter, who is a
daughter of Samuel Baxter.  He has one daughter by his first marriage,
Almerta, who is the wife of Charles Ford, of Marion township.  The three
children of his second union are: Dora, wife of Jesse S. Myers, who
resides in Marion township, south of the homestead; Orlando Bertrue,
living at home ; and Viola, wife of Ernest East, of Cleveland, Ohio.
    Dr. Cochran remained for a time on Mr. Roush's farm in Amanda
township, then rented the homestead farm and finally purchased it.  It
is a fine property and possesses more than the usual amount of interest
for the Doctor, as he assisted very materially in the clearing of the
greater part of it from the primitive forest.

HOWARD B. HOVER

HOWARD B. HOVER, pharmacist, controls one of the
largest drug- stores in the city of Lima, his business having a very
favorable location at No. 38, Public Square.  Mr. Hover represents one
of the old pioneer families of the county.  A son of David E. Hover, he
was born in 1868 in Shawnee township, within 1,000 yards of the old
Shawnee Council House, on the first ground cleared by the Indians.
   The Hover family claims Scotch descent, but the founders of it in the
United States fathers were John, Emanuel and Peter, who probably settled
in New Jersey some time prior to the Revolutionary War, in which they
all participated.  John Hover was killled by the Indians in the early
period of the conflict, and Emanuel Hover, the head of the branch from
which our subject sprung, was a captain under Washington.
   Ezekiel Hover, the great grandfather of our subject, removed in 1800
from Sussex County, New Jersey, to Western Pennsylvania, and then to
Trumbull County, Ohio, in the Western reserve.   In 1833 he located in
Allen County as one of the first settlers.  His son, Emanuel Hover, was
born in the Western Reserve and accompanied the family to Allen County.
In 1836 he returned to Trumbull County, there married Margaret Carlisle
and then returned to Allen County, locating first in Amanda township and
later removing to Shawnee township.  Two children were born to him and
his wife: David Ezekiel and Sarah Ann (Hanson) the latter deceased in
1881.
    David Ezekiel Hover, was born in the cabin of the Shawnee chief,
Pht, in Shawnee township, in 1837, but he was mainly reared in Trumbull
County, in 1859 he returned to Allen County.  He resides in Shawnee
township near Lima and is a member of the board of trustees of the Allen
County Children's Home.  He married Susan Boyd, and to them were born
five children, of whom Howard B. and his twin sister, Margaret Anna, are
the youngest.
   Howard B. Hover was reared and educated in Shawnee township.  His
literary training was obtained at the Ohio Normal University at Ada,
where he also took a course in pharmacy.  He then entered the drug-store
of Mr. W, M. Melville, and in 1893 became connected with Mr. Truesdale,
at Lima.  In 1897 he purchased Mr. Truesdale's entire interest and has
not only continued the business, but has greatly enlarged its scope.  He
is recognized as a reliable pharmacist and compounder of prescriptions
and an enterprising and honorable business man.  His professional
standing is evident by his close association with the leading drug
organizations of the country; he is a member of the National Association
of Retail Druggists, and the Ohio State and Lima pharmaceutical
association, and has served as secretary of the last named body.
   In 1897 Mr. Hover was married to Florence Fisher, a daughter of
George Fisher, who is a hardware merchant of Auglaize County.  They are
members of the Lutheran Church.  Mr. Hover's fraternal connections are
with the Elks and Knights of Pythias.  

B. F. THOMAS

B. F. THOMAS, while yet a young man, has evinced an
aptitude for business which has placed him at the head of one of the
leading industrial establishments of Lima.  As president of the Lima
Pork Packing Company, which he founded several years ago,  he occupies a
prominent position among the leading men of the city, and has been the
means of drawing to this city a volume of business which has largely
added to her present prosperity.  Mr. Thomas was born in New York City
in 1871, and is a son of Morgan Thomas, who conducts a very profitable
butter, egg and poultry business in Lima and is one of the city's
representative men.
    B. F. Thomas was a small child when his parents moved from New York
to Sidney, Ohio, and a lad of 12 years when they located in Lima.  After
his school days were past, he became a partner with his father in the
butter, egg and poultry business, the company of M. Thomas & Son doing
an extensive business and handling large quantities of produce.  Young
Thomas sa the success that would result from a packing plant in Lima,
and in 1898 withdrew from the partnership with his father and opened a
pork packing plant.  This he conducted more profitably than he had
anticipated, and as the volume of business continued to increase the
present company was incorporated in 1901, with a capital stock of
$60,000.  The officers of the company are: President, B. F. Thomas;
vice-president, Ira P. Carnes; treasurer, W. C. Bradley; secretary, D.
W. Leichty.  The plant slaughters weekly from 40 to 60 beeves, and from
200 to 600 hogs, besides sheep, lambs and calves, in addition to
handling about 25 carloads of pickled meats a year.  It manufactures
daily about 4,000 pounds of sausage, bologna.  Employment is given to
some 35 men.  The two traveling salesmen of the concern visit 60 or 70
of the leading towns in this part of the State, where they find a ready
market for the products of the plant.  Mr. Thomas is a stock-holder and
director of The Ohio National Bank and the Superior Brick Comapny.  He
was married in 1896, to Anna M. Armstrong.  His portrait accompanies
this sketch.

W. D. CARPENTER 

W. D. CARPENTER, one of the old and well-established
business men and a leading confectioner of Lima, was born at New Salem,
Fairfield County, Ohio, and is a son of H. M. Carpenter, a pioneer
merchant at Granville, Licking County, Ohio, where he was a valued
business man for over 30 years.
    During our subject's infancy his parents moved form Fairfield to
Licking County, where his father, as above stated, established himself
at Granville.  Here the child grew to young manhood, receiving his
education in the schools of that place.  He then learned the tinner's
trade and subsequently became foreman of the tin department in the
Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home, at Xenia.  After remaining four
years in that institution, he removed to Wellington, Clinton County, and
there found a favorable opening for a bakery and confectionery business.
During his three years there he developed such skill in this line that
he removed to Lima to occupy a wider field.  Here he carried on both
lines of business for a year and then sold his bakery interests in order
to give more attention to his rapidly expanding confectionery trade.  He
is the pioneer in this business here and at present controls the bulk of
it.  He is a large manufacturer, and Carpenter's caramels and
Carpenter's ice cream are well known throughout this entire section.
   In 1880 Mr. Carpenter was married to Julia Miller, who is a daughter
of Albert Miller, a prominent farmer of Greene County, Ohio.  Mr. and
Mrs. Carpenter are members of the Presbyterian Church at Lima.
Fraternally he is a Mason and a Knight of Pythias.  His business
location is No. 9 Public Square, where his display of confections is
large and attractive, and where a visitor may discover the sanitary
conditions and scientific methods, which makes the sweets manufactured
here both digestible and wholesome.

NEWTON C. BEERY

NEWTON C. BEERY,  one of the trustees of German
township, and one of the county's substantial farmers and representative
men, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, January 7, 1854, and is a
son of John H. and Delilah (Niswander) Beery.
    The father of Mr. Beery was born in Virginia, August 20, 1831, came
to Allen County and settled in German township.  He died September 11,
1896, and is buried in Sugar Creek cemetery.  He married Delilah
Niswander, who was born near Edom, Rockingham County, Virginia, May 5,
1830, and died November 23, 1904.  She was a daughter of Christian and
Susan Niswander.  Her last years were spent with her son, Newton C. The
children of John H. and Delilah Beery were: Lydia E., born March 23,
1857; Isaac N., born August 10, 1860, who died December 2, 1863;
Benjamin F., born November 2, 1863 who died January 5, 1864; and Newton
C.
    Newton C. Beery was reared and educated in Rockingham County,
Virginia, where he remained until the spring of 1875, when he came to
his present farm, on which his father settled.  He has continued to
reside here ever since and is considered one of the township's foremost
agriculturists.  On September 5, 1878, Elizabeth Herzog became our
subject' s wife.  Mrs.  Beery is a native of Pennsylvania, born February
20, 1858. 
    To Mr. Beery and wife have been born these children:  George W.,
born near Lima, Ohio, September 20 1879, who married Minnie Irvin
December 25, 1901 and has two children Irvin, born November 16, 1902,
and Edith E., born January 18, 1904; Minerva, born July 5, 1881, who
died August 23, 1881; Cora E., born July 15, 1885, who is a professional
nurse; Isaac, born March 1, 188; Ephraim, born July 24, 1890; and Lydia
E., born May 12, 1893.
    Mr. Beery is a prominent member of the Dunkard Church.  He is a
stanch Democrat, and in 1899 was elected trustee of German township.
The duties of this office were performed with the integrity which marks
the character of Mr. Beery, and makes him a man honored and esteemed by
his neighbors.

 J. OSCAR HOVER

 J. OSCAR HOVER, one of the leading and influential
men of Lima, vice- president of The Lima Trust Company and The Hall &
Woods Company, operating the Model Mills, interested in many other
enterprises, and for years closely identified with the oil developing in
the Ohio and Indiana fields.  He was born at Lima, April 19, 1850, and
is a son of the late William Ulysses Hover.
    The father of Mr. Hover come to Lima among the early settlers,
locating here in 1833, when the present city of some 22,000 people was
represented by only eight families.  Migrating form Trumbull County,
Ohio, he established a foundry and tin-shop at Lima, but subsequently
engaged in farming and devoted the remainder of his life to agricultural
pursuits.  His death occurred in 1896.
    J. Oscar Hover was educated in the public schools of Lima, and of
Shawnee township, his entrance into business life being as a clerk in a
mercantile establishment of his native city.  After an experience of
five years, he became associated with his brother, T. L. Hover, under
the firm name of Hover Brothers, in a general mercantile business at
Cridersville, Ohio, which was successfully continued for 25 years.  In
1897 the brothers sold their business in order to give their attention
to the oil interest in which they had commenced to invest in 1887.  In
that year they assumed the first leases in the vicinity of Cridersville,
and to them is mainly due the development of the rich oil field of
Auglaize County.  Mr. Hover also became interest in the oil field in the
neighborhood of Geneva, Indiana.  At one time they operated 100 wells in
Ohio and Indiana, and of that number still retain 50.  In 1897 Mr. Hover
removed to Lima, where he has a pleasant home and has ever since been
connected with the city's business and civic life.
   In 1878 Mr. Hover was married to Ella Brown, who is a daughter of the
late Hon. D. I. Brown, formerly a prominent attorney and Democratic
politician at Ottawa, Ohio.  Mr. Brown served three terms in the State
Legislature first during the Civil War, and again from 1876 until 1880
and died in 1901.  Mr. and Mrs. Hover have one daughter, Hazel.  Mr.
Hover is connected with several fraternal organizations, and is
prominent in business and social societies.