William M. Fletcher, M. D.
William M. Fletcher, M. D., prominent physician and
business man of Lima, of two decades ago, whose promising career was cut
short at the early age of 34 years, was born in 1854 in Dalton, Wayne
County, Ohio, and is a son of William and Ann Eliza (Moffitt) Fletcher.
The late Dr. Fletcher was of Irish ancestry, both of his parents
having been born in Ireland. The family was founded in Ohio by his
grandfather, who came from Ireland at an early day and settled in Wayne
County, Ohio, in 1833, where he reared a large family. Dr. Fletcher was
one in a family of eight children born to his parents, namely: Belle,
Ella, Frances, Wesley, William M., Charles, John and Emma.
Dr. Fletcher obtained his literary education in the local schools
and very early in life decided to study medicine. Much of his earlier
reading was done without special direction but it was no less thorough,
and he prepared for and later took a course of lectures at the P. M.
Medical Institute at Cincinnati. He began his practice among his old
friends at Dalton, but two years later removed to Auglaize County, Ohio,
and there engaged in practice for almost five years. In the fall of
1884 Dr. Fletcher came to South Lima and opened a first-class drugstore,
giving it the name of the "South Lima Drug Store." This he continued
to conduct in association with his practice until his death, which took
place July 22, 1888. Few men were better known in his section of the
city. He did much in the way of charity and at all times was liberal
supporter of movements for the general welfare.
Dr. Fletcher married Pauline A. Herring, a daughter of William M.
Herring. She survives him, together with two children: Carl J., of
Lima, who married Borghild Setlitz, November 15, 1905, and Bernice A.,
who lives with her mother in the pleasant family home at No. 719 South