William G. Fowler

William G. Fowler, a prominent agriculturist residing
in section 6, Bath township, has been a resident of Allen County since
1859. As he came here a poor man, he has gained his present prosperous
condition only by hard and persistent labor. He was born in Tuscarawas
County, this State, near New Philadelphia, January 13, 1834, his parents
being James and Mary (Gifford) Fowler. His paternal grandfather, John
Fowler, came to this country from Ireland and first settled in
Pennsylvania. Later he went to Jefferson County, Ohio, where he entered
160 acres of land located between Jefferson and Salem. Here he passed
the remainder of his life.
James Fowler was born in February 1804 in Washington County
Pennsylvania, and came with his parents to Ohio in 1812, remaining in
Jefferson County until he reached his majority, when he located in
Tuscarawas County. He later moved to Knox County where he died at the
age of 81 years, eight months and one day. He was a farmer, a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church and a stanch Republican in his later
years, although formerly a Whig. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of
William and Barbara (Horn) Gifford, the former a native of England. She
was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, and had passed her 80th year when she
died at the family residence in Knox County. She was the mother of 12
children, 10 of whom reached adult years and nine of whom are now
living.
William G. Fowler was reared on a farm and remained at home until
his marriage, when he came to Allen County. As he possessed but little
money, he rented a farm for the first five years. The first night in
Allen County he and his wife slept on a floor and ate their supper and
breakfast from a box. Many were the hardships and the privations
endured while they were earning a home here. He first purchased 80
acres in Sugar Creek Township and later he sold this and bought his
present homestead of 115 acres, 35 of which is in Monroe and the balance
in Bath township. He also owned at one time 80 acres in Monroe and 60
in Sugar Creek townships, which he gave to his children, as well as an
adjoining farm of 41 1/2 acres, which is occupied by his son. He has
erected substantial and attractive buildings and otherwise improved his
premises, more than doubling their value. He is engaged in
stock-raising and general farming.
Mr. Fowler was married in August, 1858, to Isabella McClurg, who
was born in Knox County, Ohio, August 11, 1840, and is a daughter of
John and Jane (Robison) McClurg, both natives of Pennsylvania and
pioneers of Ohio. Their family consisted of 16 children, namely: Mary
J. ; John S., a resident of Martin's Ferry, Ohio; William R., of Nevada,
Ohio; Aetna Estella; James L., of West Cairo, Ohio; Lizzie Minnie; Jude
H. ; Charles E., who died in infancy; Laura B., wife of Bert Mossholder,
of Ottawa, Ohio; Montezuma, who died at the age of 11 months; Edward M.;
Alfonza, wife of E. Crawford, of Columbus Grove, Ohio; Millard D., of
Akron, Ohio; Josephine, wife of Erest Witteberg, of Columbus Grove,
Ohio; Roscoe C.; and Zoe, wife of Glen Hooper, of West Cairo, Ohio.
Several of these children are married and have families. Mr. Fowler is
a member of the Christian Church and has served as trustee for a number
of years. He is a Republican and was one of the " boys in blue" who
went to the front in 1864 as a 100 day man, belonging to Company C,
151st Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under Colonel Marble and Lieut. Col. Richard
Hughes. His company was stationed near Washington at the time of Early's
raid.