Return to the Allen County Bio Table of Contents Page:

James C. Kelley

James C. Kelley, one of Lima's most successful and
enterprising merchants, came to Allen County in 1897, and opened his
grocery store at No. 790 St. John's avenue, Lima, where he is still
located and enjoying a prosperous trade. He was born in Highland
County, Ohio, in 1863 and is a son of James Kelley, deceased, who was a
farmer and in addition to that occupation also worked at coopering.
Our subject was born, reared and educated in the country, and
engaged in farm work until 1893, when he located in Mowrytown, where for
three of four years he conducted a furniture store. Leaving that town,
he came to Lima and established his present business. He has secured
not only an excellent patronage, but the warm friendship and esteem of
those with whom he has been associated, both in business and social
circles.
Mr. Kelley was married in 1885 to Frances E. Fenwick, by whom he
has three children, namely: Bert L., a student in Lima College; Hattie
and Marie. Mr. Kelley is a member and an elder of the Main Street
Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of the
Maccabees.