James M. Lippincott
James M. Lippincott, a prominent farmer of Monroe Township,
living in section 36, was born at Rockport, Ohio, May 11,
1851. He is a son of James T. and Mary A. (Kidd) Lippincott, both
deceased. His paternal grandfather, Morgan Lippincott, entered a large
body of land north of Lima, where he engaged in farming.
James T. Lippincott was born in Champaign County, Ohio but came to
Allen County with his parents at the age of 13 and continued to live
here until his 69th year, when his spirit passed into the great beyond.
He was a farmer and also shipped stock quite extensively; and, being a
money-maker, he accumulated 320 acres of land. He married Mary A. Kidd,
who was born at Mansfield, Richland County, this State, and who died at
the age of 71 years. Two brothers survive her Nathaniel, who is in his
94th year and resides at Columbus Grove, and Wesley, who resides in
Illinois and is a minister of the Methodist Protestant Church. Mrs.
Lippincott was the mother of 12 children, six of whom have died. Those
living are: Charles, of Columbus Grove; Joseph, of Putnam County; Rena
(Marshall), of Columbus Grove; Dora (Lora), of Monroe township; Ina
(Bogardus), of Lima; and James M.
James M. Lippincott was brought up on the farm, but was given all
the advantages of a good, practical education, going from the district
schools to the Ohio Normal University at Ada, where he studied one year.
While there he was a prime factor in organizing the Philo Literary
Society, of which he was a charter member. After leaving college, he
taught school one term and during the '70's began the manufacture of
tile, his factory being the first in the county. In 1873 he purchased
his present farm, upon which he has erected substantial buildings and
made many improvements. The 80 acres upon which he lives is located in
section 36, Monroe Township, while 40 acres lie in section 31, and 60
acres in section 34, Richland township. This farm is one of those
historic spots which abound in Ohio, the spring from which Crawford took
his last drink before he was carried away prisoner by the Indians being
located here. This was also the camping ground of the Indians, some of
whom are buried beneath the sod on this farm; many interesting relics
have been found by Mr. Lippincott.
On February 6 1873, Mr. Lippincott was married to Mary E. Stewart,
who was born in Monroe township, Allen County, Ohio, November 2, 1853,
and is a daughter of Alexander and Sarah Jane (Rockhill) Stewart. Her
father was born July 26, 1818, in Highland County, Ohio, and the mother
was a native of New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Lippincott are the parents of
two children, Otis T. and Eugene T., both of whom give promise of a
brilliant future. The elder son Otis, was graduated from the law school
of the Ohio Normal University at Ada and is now practicing his
profession at Lima, where he is associated with Mr. Sprague under the
firm name of Sprague & Lippincott. Eugene, the younger son, was
graduated from the Ohio Normal University at Ada and the Ohio Wesleyan
University at Delaware, after which he attended the Western Reserve Law
School at Cleveland for one year and then matriculated at the University
of Chicago, where he is preparing for admission to the legal profession.
Mr. Lippincot has been a member of the Prohibition Party since its
inception in 1876, and has takes an active part in its advancement.
Besides being chairman of the executive committee of Allen County and
attending many of the conventions as a delegate, he has allowed his name
to be used as candidate for several county offices, for the Legislature
an for probate judge, He is a member of the Beaver Dam Methodist
Episcopal Church, of which he is a steward and has been a trustee for 30
years. He is the efficient superintendent of the Sunday- school, which
position he has held for a number of years.