George H. Meily George H. Meily, one of the representative members of the Allen County bar, was born at Lima, Ohio, August 28,1849, and is a son of John H. and Catherine (Fisher ) Meily. John H. Meily was a very prominent citizen of Lima and was identified with many of the industries and with public affairs here for many years. He was born in 1817 at Lebanon, Pennsylvania, where he learned the business of weaving. He was skilled in all kinds of machinery as he was also an iron molder and after he removed to Mansfield, Ohio, in 1836, he worked at foundry business for some 10 years. In 1846 he came to Lima, settling on the site now occupied by the Meily Block on North Main Street, where he carried on the business of weaving coverlets. He built the first foundry in the county, which was located on the site of the Globe Machine Works. Later he engage extensively in the manufacture of brick and did much brick building in this city, including the large brick Meily Block on Main street, the hardware store room on the Public Square and other structures. He was also engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and dealt largely in real estate; in fact, he was a man whose energies were far beyond the average and who succeeded in all he undertook. For some years he was also a political factor and served for six years as county clerk. His busy and useful life closed in 1884, after some years of retirement. He had a family of nine children, all of whom were afforded far better advantages than he was given in youth. He was a man who commanded universal respect. George H, Meily was educated in the excellent schools of his native city and in 1868 he began the study of the law, his preceptors being prominent legal lights of that time Messrs, Lamison and Ballard. In August, 1871, he was admitted to the bar and to practice in the United States Courts in 1874. He has continued to practice in Lima until the present time and is well and favorably known all over this section. He has been interested at various times in many of the large transportation lines of the State, and was one of the promoters of the Columbus, Lima & Milwaukee, Columbus & Lake Michigan, Detroit, Toledo & Milwaukee, Lake Erie & Western, Chicago & Atlantic, Chicago & Erie and Michigan & Ohio. Almost from the outset of his career, Mr. Meily has displayed a helpful interest in civic affairs, though a disinterested one, as he has been in no sense as office-seeker. His clients find him in his well-appointed office at No. 301 Opera House Block. His pleasant and comfortable home is located at No. 541 West Spring street.