Milton C. Craig
Milton C. Craig, deceased, was a resident of Ohio from
1856 until his death, which took place April 2, 1902. He was closely
identified with railroad construction in the early days and after was a
well-known and successful business man of Lima. Mr. Craig was born at
Beaver, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, February 20, 1821, and was a son of
Samuel and Elizabeth Craig.
The parents of Mr. Craig were natives of Pennsylvania. They reared
six children, and when the Civil War broke out gave three sons to the
support of the Union cause. These have long since passed away, although
the survived the dangers of the battle-field.
Prior to coming to Ohio, Mr. Craig had attended school in his native
State, had carried on farming and milling and had married and become a
man of family. when he came to this locality, the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne
and Chicago Railway was in course of construction and he helped to lay
the rails on this great transportation line and then entered the employ
of the Dayton & Michigan Railroad Company, with which he was connected
for 18 years. In 1881 he came to Lima, established his permanent home
here and later opened up a feed mill on East Market street, with which
he continued to be connected during the remainder of his active life.
He was a man of business stability and of personal integrity.
In 1898 Mr. Craig married Mrs. Elizabeth Chew, who was born in Ohio
and who still survives, residing in a very pleasant and comfortable home
at No. 402 McPheron Street, Lima. Mr. Craig by his first marriage had
six children Samuel, Sarah, and Grace still survive and Harvey, William
and Ellen are deceased. Mrs. Craig had two children by her union with
Archibald Chew of whom Irvin Chew, D. D. S., survives and resides in
Toledo, Ohio. Laura married Edison Kuenzli and at her death left four