Hon. John E. Richie
Hon. John E. Richie, formerly judge of the Court of
Common Pleas and now the senior member of the well-known law firm of
Richie & Leland, of Lima, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, March 28,
1838, and is a son of Mirabeau F. and Sarah (Eaton) Richie.
Mirabeau F. Richie was born in Pennsylvania but came to Ohio
when he was but 12 years of age, and settled in Columbiana County,
removing in 1839 to Van Wert County. His family consisted of 10
children, seven of whom still survive.
John E. Richie was a babe of one year when his parents settled
in Van Wert County. He was a student in the first schoolhouse ever
built in Harrison Township and in youth attended school when not engaged
in work upon the farm. He completed the school course before he was 18
years old, and thereafter, until he reached manhood, he continued to
assist his father on the home farm in the summer season, while in the
winter he taught school. Arriving at manhood's estate, he began the
study of the law, his reading being done under the supervision of Edward
A. Ballard, now of Denver, Colorado, a well-known former attorney of
Allen County. He was admitted to the bar in 1867 and prior to coming to
Lima practiced law for six months at Bluffton.
Since locating in Lima, the subject of this sketch has become
one of the leading practitioners before all the courts and has filled
offices of responsibility. For three years he served as justice of the
peace, and was elected city solicitor when the village was given its
city charter. In the fall of 1888 he was elected judge of the Court of
Common Pleas and served in that position from February 1889, to
February 1899. Since retiring from the bench, Judge Richie has given
his attention to a large and important practice in partnership with F.
In 1861 our subject was marred to Margaret J. McCoy, a native
of Van Wert County, Ohio. To this union were born five children, as
follows: Idumea, wife of F. F. Leland, his present law partner; Willis
A., a prominent architect of Spokane, Washington, who was architect of
the State Capitol of Washington and all the court houses around Puget
Sound; Walter J., junior member of the firm of Richie & Richie; Bertha,
wife of Hugh L. Harrod, a traveling salesman, with a home in Lima; and
Frank, deceased at the age of two years.
The second marriage to Judge Richie was contracted with Mrs. S.
Louise (Van Arsdale) Wyker, who by her first husband had one daughter
Lilian. Judge Richie with his family attends the Presbyterian Church.
The beautiful family residence is situated at No. 541 West Wayne Street,
while Judge Richie's offices are in the Holland Block.
Politically, Judge Richie is identified with the Democratic
party. Fraternally he is associated with the Knights of Pythias and the
Odd Fellows. He has long been looked upon as one of the city's most
public-spirited men; one proof of this attitude was his gift in 1892 of
a tract of 10 acres for the use of Lima College. His portrait
accompanies this sketch.