Schultheis Brothers, who own and operate the large
tannery at Lima, are among the best known and esteemed citizens of the
city, where they have lived since childhood. The firm is composed of
John and Charles Schultheis, successors of their father, Wolfgang
Schultheis, who came to this city in 1863 and established the business.
the elder Schultheis was born in Bavaria, Germany, where he learned the
trade of tannery with his father, John Schultheis. Coming to America,
he made his first stop in Columbiana County, going from there to
Cincinnati, thence to Wayne and Pickaway counties, Ohio, and finally
conducted a tannery for a short time in Shelby County, Ohio. His next
move was to New Bremen, Auglaize County, where he formed a partnership
with John Kunzel in 1855, which was continued until 1863 when he
disposed of his interests in the tannery and came to Lima. When the
tannery was first started in Lima, Mr. Schultheis was associated in the
business with his brother, but in 1867 he purchased his brother's
interests and from that date until 1891 he carried on the works alone.
Since 1891 the business has been managed by the present firm.
Charles Schultheis is a native of New Bremen but has been a
resident of Lima since his fourth year. He has worked in a tannery from
boyhood and his practical knowledge of the business enables him to
conduct it in a profitable manner. In 1895 Mr. Schultheis was married
to Matilda T. Eckert, daughter of the late Frederick Eckert, who was
widely known during his lifetime as owner of a large pork packing plant
at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Charles Schultheis is a prominent Elk and a
member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.