People with Butler County OH ties, found in Carroll Co IN
(1916 History of Carroll Co Indiana) Transcribed by Jan Hall * * Page numbers are from the 1916 book * *
Index of Names
* Page 160: GRANT John M. GRANT was born in BUTLER CO Ohio 30 June, 1824, came to Carroll County, Indiana 14 Oct 1851, and resided in Burlington Township. He was married to Catherine SPANGLER [?] 21 October 1847. Member of Methodist Episcopal church, a Mason, and an Odd Fellow. Died 16 February 1910.
* Page 188: WEAVER, McNEIL: Samuel WEAVER was born in BUTLER Co. Ohio 6 Nov 1806, came to Carroll Co Indiana September 1835, locating in Democrat township. Married Ruth McNEIL 12 November 1829. Farmed and manufactured woolen goods at the town of Prince William. Ten children born, two suriving him at the time of his death 24 Feb 1903. Wife died January 1881. His father, Henry WEAVER was a soldier of the War of Independence. He was a cousin of General WEAVER of Iowa. His son, W. H. WEAVER, represented this county in the Legislature two terms.
* Page 190: YOUNG William YOUNG was born in BUTLER Co Ohio 9 March 1816, came to Carroll Co 13 July 1829. Married first Nancy DEMISSON; secondly Catherine McDONALD of Camden [Ind] on 5 July 1850. He was a carpenter, member of Methodist Episcopal church.. His wife died 4 May 1896. At the time of his death 2 Oct 1898 he was the oldest resident of the city of Delphi. Two daughters survived him.
* Page 174: KIRKPATRICK: Elliot KIRKPATRICK was born in BUTLER Co Ohio, son of Samuel KIRKPATRICK who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio. Elliott married Mary BURNS, who was born in Boone Co Indiana, a daughter of James BURNS; they met and married in BUTLER County. They went to Carroll Co [date unspecified] and operated a grocery store, later farming. They had seven children
Mary Jane (deceased; m. Charles ALLEN of Logansport, Cass Co Ind);
Susan (m. David WAGONER of Carrollton twp, Carroll co).
Son Samuel M. KIRKPATRICK went to Normal School in Lebanon, Ohio, taught school, then went into the insurance business. He m. Ellen A. ASHBY, daughter of James & Sarah M. ASHBY of Wheeling Ind. They had four children:
Cora May (m. Roy Thompson);
Laura Catherine, dy;
James E. (m. Leah Smith);
Leland Bryan (m. Gladys Herron).
The famiy is Presbyterian, he is a Democrat.
* Page 286: PARSE, YOUNG, DOWDEN: William W. PARSE born 1 March 1841 BUTLER Co Ohio, son of Felix PARSE, and reared to manhood in Ohio. Married Ruhama YOUNG 30 Aug 1864, daughter of A. P. and Mary (DOWDEN) YOUNG, both born BUTLER co, who grew up and were married there, went to Clinton Co Indiana and farmed there, at one time owning 360 acres in Democrat township.
The YOUNGs had four children:
Robert, the eldest, deceased in 1916;
William Edgar, also deceased. Living in 1916 are
Margaret Jane, wife of J. B. McCUNE of Sedalia, Ind; and
Ruhama, widow of William W. PARSE.
Ruhama (YOUNG) PARSE was born 29 Aug 1849 in Clinton Co Indiana.
Mr and Mrs Wm PARSE had four children:
Ann Miranda (m. Harve BROOKIE);
Oliver Howard (m. Martha Abston);
Pearl Josephine, dec in 1916 (m. George Philips);
Bertha Z. (m. James D. Miller).
Wm PARSE was a veteran of the Civil War, enlisting in an Ohio regiment at the start of the war and serving until the close. He died 30 Jan 1913 in Carroll Co.
* Page 300: McKINNEY, RHINEARSON: Leander McKINNEY b 17 June 1843 BUTLER co Ohio, son of John and Mary Ann (RHINEARSON) McKINNEY. John McKINNEY was son of another John McKINNEY, and born near Hamilton, Butler Co. John Sr. was born in Ireland, his wife being a German named Schultz, and he died leaving two daughters and John Jr, age three at the time of his father's death.
John Jr operated a disillery for about 8 years near Hamilton. Came to Carroll Co with family 15 Oct 1846, when Leander was about 3 years old. He was one of nine children, eight of them living in 1916: Leander, age 72; Amanda (wife of S. L. Groninger); J. B., deceased; Adolph (living in Arkansas); S. S. (Logansport Cass Co Ind) ; A. Q., (postmaster at Clay Valley, Arkansas); Frances ( m. Ira Dodds of Cass Co Ind); and Alice (m. Harley Gustin of Cass Co.). Leander McKINNEY m. Samantha RYAN, daughter of James & Christina (BROWN) RYAN on 22 Nov 1862. She was b 6 Dec 1848 in Rock Creek twp, Carroll Co. They had: David M.; Cora (m. Wm. Mullin); Ella J. (m. Schuyler Foster); Ollie G. (daughter, m. Rollie Snyder); and Annie L. (m. Ross Penn).
* Page 316: BATES, HARTMAN: William M. BATES was born 18 March 1848 in BUTLER county Ohio, son of Ozro and Mary (HARTMAN) BATES. Ozro BATES was born in Vermont and came with his parents to Cincinnati where his parents died of Cholera. Ozro had three brothers and two sisters: Nathaniel BATES was at one time mayor of Council Bluffs, Iowa; Peter BATES was killed at Pueblo in the Mexican War: the others were: Smith BATES, Sarah BATES, and Ann BATES. After the death of his parents, Ozro BATES was bound out until 21 years old or until the time of his marriage to Mary HARTMAN in Preble Co in 1840, after which he went to Marion Co Ind, farming north of Indianapolis. He served as JP in Marion Co for eight years and went to Carroll Co in 1872, farming in Madison township, where he died. Ozro & Mary BATES had eight children, one dying in infancy. William M. BATES was the fourth born. The others are: Nathaniel (postmaster of Rensselaer, Ind, served in Civil War); David (Clay Co Texas); Dr. S. L. (living near Kansas City Mo); Dr. Joseph W. (dec.); Suzanna B (m. J. H. Brown and d 20 May 1915 in Terre Haute Ind); Mary (dec; m. George Rorabaugh). William M. BATES m. Alice MILLER on 23 Nov 1887 in Carroll Co, and had two children: Eva and Ren.
* Page 331: SCHULTHEIS, VOUGHT: John H. SCHULTHEIS b BUTLER Co Ohio 10 Dec 1861, son of David & Jane (VOUGHT) SCHULTHEIS. David who was born in Wittenberg, Germany, arrived in NY as a young man and going directly to Butler Co, where he worked by the day on various farms. Saved his money, married Jane and went to Carroll Co Indiana. He was drafted for service in the Civil War, but managed to remain with his family. He was a Democrat and a member of the United Brethren church. Jane VOUGHT was a native of Holland, born near Amsterdam, and came with her brother, Henry, to America when a young woman. They landed at New Orleans and went to Butler Co, where she married David Schultheis. She died 1 Feb 1910. David Schultheis died 16 April 1881. They had five children: Mary (m. Allen Wagoner of Clay twp, Carroll Co, and has six children); Emma (m. David Campbell of Ephrata, Washington, four children); John H, our subject; and Nellie and Charles, both deceased. John H. SCHULTHEIS is farming the land his father purchased in Carroll Co's Clay township. He married Minerva SHIPLEY on 26 July 1891, and had five children: Marvin, Charles (dec); Elbert, Clarence, and John. The first Mrs. Shultheis died and in 1911 he married Mrs. Carrie VANCE, widow of Ervin VANCE of Clinton county. He was elected trustee of Clay township in 1900 and served four years. He is a member of the United Brethren church, while his wife is a Lutheran.
* Page 378: MARTIN: Andrew J. MARTIN b 10 March 1828 BUTLER Co Ohio, went with his
parents to Carroll Co Indiana in 1832. He m. Jane A. MABBITT. They had seven children:
Mary E.; Charles;
Anna B (m. William Steinbaugh of Camden); and
Monroe MARTIN, b 1 August 1858, who m.
Martha LENNON 10 Aug 1881, daughter of Robert S. and Sarah J. (CALDWELL) LENNON, b.
8 July 1858 in Cass Co. Indiana, reared in Carroll County. Mr and Mrs. Monroe MARTIN have two children:
John R b 1881
Ellen J 1884 (m. Harlin FOX).
* Page 420: HUMES: Thomas HUMES born BUTLER co Ohio 1815, son of John HUMES, who went to Carroll Co Indiana in 1830, settling on Wild Cat prairie not far from Dayton, and later to Clinton county Ind. Thomas m. Catherine JENNINGS in Indiana and had:
Margaret J. (m. Samuel WASSON);
Thomas Jackson (living in Freedom, Oklahoma);
Amanda Elizabeth; and
James K. HUMES.
Thomas m. secondly Jane CUPP in Indiana and thirdly married Ruth Ann HERR, and had two sons
James K. HUMES, married Caroline PRITSCH in Carroll Co 24 Feb 1889, the daughter of George and Elizabeth (KELLERMAN) PRITSCH, both b in Germany. Caroline came to America at the age of 16 with her parents, who settled in Carroll Co.
* Page 460: BRENNAN, GAFFNEY, McGREEVEY: Thomas BRENNAN was born 26 January 1857 in BUTLER Co, Ohio, son of John & Bridget (GAFFNEY) BRENNAN.
John Brennan was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, coming to America age about 21. Bridget GAFFNEY was born in County Sligo, Ireland, coming to the US with her brother as a young woman. They were married in BUTLER Co Ohio and lived there until 1864 when they went to Carroll Co Indiana, Washington township. He was a Democrat and a member of the Roman Catholic church in Logansport, Cass Co.
Their children were:
Margaret (m. Thomas C. McGREEVY of Hamilton, Butler Co Ohio);
Patrick (Cass Co Ind);
Johanna (m. Patrick GUCKIEN);
John (Cass Co Ind): and
Thomas BRENNAN, who m. Anna G. DWYER, daughter of Patrick & Anna (McGREEVY ) DWYER , born in Versailles,[Darke Co] Ohio 23 April 1857. Patrick DWYER , her father, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland and his wife Anna MCGREEVEY was b in County Roscommon, Ireland, both coming to America with the parents, and settling in New Orleans. At the age of 15 years, Mr. DWYER went to BUTLER co Ohio where he followed the trade of bridge carpentering until the Civil War. He served throughout the entire war, receiving the appt of Captain, and was mustered out at Jeffersonville. He died in the south.
Patrick and Anna DWYER had four children:
Martin (living at Charleston, Illinois);
Annie, the wife of Thomas BRENNAN as above;
Ellen (m. Frank Roskuski); and
Thomas (living in Logansport, Cass co Ind).
* Page 470: GUCKIEN, McGEAVEY: [Transcriber’s note: I believe this is the same family line as those written as McGREEVY in other articles from this book.]
William J. GUCKIEN, b 14 Feb 1851 in BUTLER co Ohio, son of Sylvester and Catherine (McGEAVEY) [sic] GUCKIEN, both b Ireland, each coming with their parents to the USA, and each settling in BUTLER Co Ohio, where they grew up, met and married. They went to Carroll co in 1853. Sylvester GUCKIEN died in 1881, his wife in 1873. They had ten children:
Anna, twins (Anna d in infancy);
William J. GUCKIEN, as above.
The family are Roman Catholics.
* Page 486: SQUIER: David B. SQUIER was born in BUTLER Co Ohio 1 January 1844 and went with his parents to Clinton Co Indiana about 1850 and then to Clay township, Carroll Co. They had eight children, among them E. A. of Madison twp, Carroll Co.; Dr. George E., a physician in Brookville, Ind.; Dr. Augustus, physician in Frankfort, Ind., the aforementioned David B., a retired farmer living in Delphi; and four more deceased before 1915. David m. Huldah J. GRANT, who died in 1895. Their two surviving children in 1915 were: Emma B. (m. Sell DOTY, postmaster at Delphi); and George G., who m. Estella STEPHENS on 2 Dec 1903.
* Page 489: FORLOW, McCLOSKEY, WICKARD : John M. FORLOW born 28 Nov 1854 in BUTLER county, son of William and Margaret (McCLOSKEY ) FORLOW . William a native of Bucks or Berks Co Penn; Margaret b in Butler Co, daughter of John McCloskey . Both families came from Pa to Ohio.
After their marriage in Butler County, Mr and Mrs Wm. Forlow lived there until February 1863 when they went to Carroll Co Indiana; he had owned the land before moving there.
They had three children:
Mary Jane, who died young;
Daniel S., and
John M. FORLOW as above, who m. Hannah JAMES on 19 Sep 1877. She was the daughter of James C. & Marcella [WICKARD] JAMES, both natives of BUTLER County, but who reared their family in Indiana.
The children of John M.and Hannah Forlow were:
Addie (m. Henry Lauchner );
Maggie (m. Leonard Mitchel ); and
Rosa (m. Chalres Lauchner ).
* Page 490: LONG, BOLINGER: William LONG born BUTLER co Ohio 16 March 1835, son of Noah & Barbara (BOLINGER ) LONG . Barbara was b in Germany, coming to America with her parents at the age of two, when they settled in Butler county, where she met Noah LONG and married him. In 1845 Mr and Mrs Noah LONG and their young family went to Carroll Co Indiana, Democrat township, where they lived to the end of their lives.
They had two children, one dying young, the other William LONG as above, who married first Mary A. SMITH and had:
Mary A. (m. John H. Woodram );
Ellen (m. William Hinkle );
The mother of these children died and William Long next married Martha AKENS, who is deceased, having no children.
Next Mr. LONG married Lissie JEWETT and had six children:
In 1888 Mr. LONG married Mrs. Lydia A. (Gaumer) Sibbit , the widow of Alva Sibbit, and
had two children with her: Edna M. and ?.
William LONG was in the Civil War: Company K, 72nd Reg. IVI,
and later in Co E, 44th Reg, IVI, serving almost the entire course of the war.
* Page 505: McGREEVY, GUCKIEN, DWYER: Michael J. McGREEVY born 22 March 1845 in Fayette Co Indiana, went to Carroll co 14 Jan 1866. He was the son of John & Mary (GUCKIEN ) McGREEVY , both b in Ireland and who married in this country. Mr. John McGREEVY was a contractor, in charge of building the Whitewater Canal and settled in BUTLER Co where he was worth $40,000 in his day, besides his extensive real estate holdings. He was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
He had ten children, three living in 1915:
Colonel McGREEVY (a contractor in Logansport, Ind);
Thomas E. McGREEVY (retired farmer in Butler co Ohio), and
Michael J. as above.
Michael J. McGREEVY married Anna J. CONAUGHTON, daughter of Thomas & Bessie CONAUGHTON , who was b 11 July 1850 at Hamilton, BUTLER CO Ohio, both her parents having been b in Ireland. Her parents had eight children only one now living: Agatha McGREEVY (m. Peter DWYER of Logansport, with one son Michael J. DWYER b 14 July 1915).
* Page 509: SHANKS: John SHANKS left Butler Co OH as early as 1830 to settle
in Carroll Co Indiana where he and Mary reared their family of 11 children. After the death of
his wife, John went to Missouri to live with his son, Robert SHANKS (b 1833 IN), who
lived in Clay Co, MO. John SHANKS died in Clay County in 1871.
Henry SHANKS, son of John SHANKS, was b in BUTLER Co Ohio about 1829 and married
Mary BLUE. Their children were:
Margaret (m. Wm. SNIDER );
Anna (m. Jasper FOUTS );
John U. (president of Farmers State Bank of Camden):
James O. SHANKS , b 27 Aug 1872 in Cass Co Ind, who m. Charlotte YERKES on 1 Sep 1897.
* Page 511: MABBITT: J. M. MABBITT b 21 February 1831 in BUTLER co Ohio, died 3 June 1904 in Carroll county, Indiana. He married Margaret MARTIN , b 2 Aug 1893 in Carroll Co, daughter of Charles & Jemima (PATCHETT ) MARTIN . Mr and Mrs J. M. MABBITT had seven children, four living in 1915:
Asa C. (m. Laura Bone, living in Cass Co);
Minnie (m. V. A. Shanks );
Willard Ross; and
James D. (m. Alice P. PLATT 14 Nov 1908).
* Page 528: SHANKS: David T. SHANKS, son of Henry & Mary (BLUE )
SHANKS , was born in Cass Co Indiana 12 August 1867. [See page 509 for details on this family’s emigration from Butler county] He
married Artie M. HOUSER on 29 Dec 1891 in Carroll County.
* Page 541: KIRKPATRICK, McCAIN : Benjamin KIRKPATRICK of Pennsylvania, went to BUTLER Co Ohio and m. Hannah McCAIN . In 1832 they went to Carroll Co Indiana, the parents of ten children, two of whom were living in 1915: Anna, wife of Alonzo BONE , and Robert, b 22 May 1836 in Carroll Co who was in the Civil war, 24th Indiana Battery. At war’s end, he returned to Indiana and married Nancy WILSON 3 Sep 1869, and had seven children, three living in 1915: Orion L.; Iva Lenora (m. A. J. WICKARD ); and Willis E.
* Page 621-22: JAMES: Frances M. JAMES, daughter of E. B. JAMES, was born in BUTLER Co Ohio about 1860. On 9 Oct 1879 in Carroll Co Indiana she married Charles H. DOUGLAS , whose parents were Newton Monroe and Sarah (HARRISON ) DOUGLAS of Franklin Co Ohio. Newton M. DOUGLAS was a Methodist minister and lived in many places as his calling took him.
* Page 627: JOYCE: Francis M. JOYCE was born in BUTLER co Ohio 12 Dec 1847, son of David & Sarah (SEDAM ) JOYCE . David, a well known and influential man in his day, was the son of William JOYCE , who came to Ohio from Pennsylvania when still a boy. William died in Butler county. David Joyce grew to manhood on his father’s farm and married in Ohio and lived on the farm for several years after his marriage, when he went to Indiana about 1850. David Joyce and his wife had 14 children, six of them growing to maturity and three living in 1915. Sarah Jane (m John B. Stevens ); Elsie ( dec. m. A. McCain ); Margaret (dec.; second wife of her sister’s widower, A. McCain ); David; Effie; and Francis M., as above, who married Emma Melinda BROWN on 8 March 1883 and had three children: William, Chester (m. Catherine CALDWELL ); and Ina.
* Page 634: McCLEARY, GRANT, SPANGLER : [See page 160] David A. McCLEARY , M. D., married Emma C. GRANT , daughter of John M. and Catherine (SPANGLER ) GRANT . She was born 10 June 1864 in Burlington, Carroll County, Ind. They had five children:
Emma’s father was John M. GRANT , born in BUTLER co Ohio, who m. Catherine SPANGLER , daughter of Philip and Elizabeth SPANGLER . Mr and Mrs John M. GRANT had 9 children, seven living to maturity: Amandus; Sarah E., (m. Ransom CASADY , Greensburg, Ind.); Mary E., dy; Lydia J. (m. Andrew HARRIS , Carroll Co); Margaret T., dy; “Judge” John, d 26 Jan 1913; Martha C. (m. William Ross , Advance, Ind.); Daniel P. (Chicago); and Emma C., as above.
* Page 642: HASLET, STEWART : William HASLET was born in BUTLER County Ohio and married there Mary STEWART also born in Butler County. They went to Carroll Co Indiana about 1834, setting in Democrat township and living there the rest of his life. He was a Presbyterian. They had: James; William; John; Robert; Isaac N.; Joseph (Oklahoma); and two daughters who died young. Mary Stewart Haslet died in the 1850’s and William HASLET married her sister, Rachel and had the following children: Fiette (m. Dr. Sigler ); Phebe (m. John Crecraft ); Hannah (m. M. Whitesell ); and Marsha, Sarah and Samuel. Wiliam HASLET died 1 May 1866. Isaac N. HASLET , as above, married Mary STARKEY 17 April 1868 in Carroll Co and had Jasper S. and William Wallace, both dy; James (Warren Co Ind); Josephine (m. Forrest Armstrong ); Ida Mary (m. Andrew MILLER ). Mrs. Isaac N. HASLET died 1878 and Isaac m again 16 June 1881 to Mrs. Elizabeth (Howard ) Flynn , a widow, the daughter of John Howard of Kentucky. They had three children: Estella (m. Wm. Shaffer ); Bessie (m. M. Black of Frankfort, Ind); and Howard, serving in the regular army in 1915. Mrs. Haslet had two daughters from her first marriage to Mr. Flynn: Nellie (m. George Long of Frankfort Ind); and Daisy (m. E. Kingery of Sedalia, Ind).
* Page 654: GUCKIEN, McGREEVY, HAYES: Sylvester GUCKIEN was born in Ireland, coming to this country at age 14, to BUTLER County Ohio where he met and married his wife Catherine McGREEVY, also born in Ireland. They went to Carroll co in 1850, settling in Washington township and living there until their deaths. They had ten children, eight living in 1915: William, Michael, Sylvester, Cornelius, Winifred, Catherine, Mary, and Ellen. The son Sylvester was born in Carroll county on 7 May 1859 and married Mary E. HAYES on 10 Oct 1893. She was born in Hamilton, BUTLER Co Ohio on 12 May 1896, daughter of William and Anna HAYES.
Sylvester GUCKIEN Jr and his wife had six children: Adrienne, Hayes, William, Daniel, Charles and Eleanor.