In the Fall of that year, a second battle was fought, almost under cover of the guns of Fort St. Clair, between a corps of riflemen and a body of Indians.
Early in the Summer of 1791, A. W. PRIOR, in company with two others, set out on a trip to convey provisions from Cincinnati to Fort Hamilton. On their way they encamped at Pleasant Run, four miles from Hamilton, on lands lately owned by Aaron L. SCHENCK, where the Indians fired upon them and killed PRIOR, the other two men making their escape to Fort Hamilton.
In the year 1791, an express on its way from Fort Hamilton to Fort Washington was waylaid by the Indians and killed and scalped two miles and a half south of Hamilton, on the Springdale pike, on the canal, near H. L. MOUDY's farm-house. The Indian was concealed behind a forked white oak tree, near the northwest corner of the ministerial section, which tree is standing at the present time.
Some time in the year 1791, a brigade of wagons, transporting provisions from Fort Washington to Fort Hamilton, guarded by a detachment of thirty or forty men, under the command of a lieutenant, was attacked by the Indians with a galling fire about six miles south of Hamilton, near where Mr. Edwards now lives. The escort, with a few horsemen who were in the company, charged upon the Indians and made them retreat. They, however, had eight men killed in the skirmish and killed two or three of the Indians.
In 1794 Colonel Robert ELLIOTT, contractor for supplying the United States Army, while traveling with his servant from Fort Washington to Fort Hamilton, was waylaid by the Indians and killed at the big hill, south of where Thomas FLEMING formerly lived, and near the line between the counties of Butler and Hamilton. It is now known as Fountain Hill farm. When Colonel Elliott was shot and fell from his horse, the servant made his escape, riding full speed, Elliott's horse following him, and both arrived safe at Fort Hamilton. The colonel, being somewhat advanced in life, wore a wig. The savage who shot him, in haste to take his scalp, drew his knife, and seized him by the hair. To his astonishment, the scalp came off at the first touch. The wretch exclaimed in broken English, "Dam lie!" In a few minutes the surprise of the party was over, and they made themselves merry at the expense of their comrade. Some of the Indians, who were present when Elliott was killed, communicated these facts to some of the officers at the treaty of Greenville, in 1795, and described the manner in which they amused themselves with the wig after their surprise was over. On the next day, a party of men from Fort Hamilton, with a coffin, and taking the servant with them, went to where Elliott had been killed, found the body, put it in the coffin, and proceeded on their way to Fort Washington. When they had gone a mile or two on their way from where they found the body, about a mile south of Springdale, where Mr. SORTER lately lived, they were fired upon by a party of Indians. The servant, who was then riding the same horse from which Elliott had been killed the day before (which was a spotted horse of rather an uncommon appearance), was shot dead at the first fire. The remainder of the party then retreated, leaving the body of Elliott, which the Indians took, and broke open the coffin. The party, however, soon rallied, retook the body, and carried it to Cincinnati, together with that of the servant, and buried them side by side in the Presbyterian cemetery. Several years afterwards, Captain ELLIOTT, of the United States Navy, son of the colonel, erected over his remains a neat monument with an appropriate inscription.
Early one morning, in t he Summer of 1794, a soldier was dispatched as an express from Fort Hamilton to Greenville. He was tomahawked and scalped near where Captain DELORAC formerly lived, close by the brick mill, at a small branch in the upper part of Rossville. Although the deed was committed within sight of the garrison, they knew nothing of it until informed by Colonel Matthew HUESTON, who, the previous night, had lodged at a camp nine miles from Hamilton, and came to the fort about nine o'clock in the morning. When on his way, he discovered the body of the soldier, the blood flowing yet warm from the wounds; a sow and pigs were drinking the blood. The Indians, fearing to alarm the garrison, must have concealed themselves in the grass and bushes at the side of the path, and suddenly sprung out and caught the horse of the express as he attempted to pass.
In the year 1794, an escort of dragoons, who were guarding a party conveying corn and other provisions from Fort Washington to Hamilton, were attacked at the big hill near the south line of Butler County. Eight men were killed and several wounded. The Indians took and burnt the corn and carried away the horses.
In 1794 the Indians killed and scalped two pack-horse-men, who were on their way to Hamilton, at Bloody Run, south of Carthage. Some wagoners, who were in company, made their escape to Fort Washington.
In 1794 a brigade of wagons, loaded with provisions and other stores, were sent from Fort Hamilton to supply the garrison at Greenville, convoyed by an escort commanded by Captain LOWERY. On their way they were attacked and defeated by the Indians near where the town of Eaton now stands. Captain Lowery, Lieutenant BOYD, and eighteen privates were killed. The Indians took all the horses, shot the oxen, and left them and the wagons on the ground.
At place where St. Clair's trace crossed Seven Mile Creek, in Milford Township, near the south line of section twenty-four, there was camping ground on each side of the creek. In the month of December, 1794, when there was snow on the ground, eight pack-horsemen encamped one night in the bottom on the west side of the creek. Early the next morning they were fired upon by a party of Indians. Seven of the men were killed, and one made his escape to Fort Hamilton. A party of men went out from the fort the same day and buried the bodies of men killed. They lie in the bottom on the west side of the creek, on land formerly owned by Major William ROBINSON. The place of their interment is still known and pointed out by persons residing in the neighborhood.
These were the last murders of that period committed by the Indians in this part of the country.