The university is situated in the eastern part of the mile square appropriated for the town of Oxford. The situation is elevated, descending by a graded slope from the college building in all directions, except on the west, next to the town, with which it is on a level. The edifices at present erected for the use of the college are three. They consist of the main building, which is sixty feet front and eighty-six feet deep and three stories high, fronting the south and the north. The fronts are finished with pediments, having a venetian door in the south front, with venetian windows in the stories above. The stories are over eighteen feet high in the clear, runs from east to west through the building, and a passage twelve feet wide runs from the south front door to the middle hall.
The north part of the lower story of the building is undivided, and was fitted up for a chapel. It is now used as a chemical room and as a museum. The rest of the building is divided into spacious rooms. The chapel is on the second floor in the new wing. Adjoining on the west was the old building first erected, forming part of a wing. There is now a new and large wing here, erected in 1868. The design of the whole, according to the plan, when completed, is to have wings of eighty feet in length. The center hall or passage is designed to extend from east to west the whole length of the wings, which are to sub-divided into rooms for the accommodation of students.
In 1829 another building was completed for the purposes of the institution. It stands east of the main building and distant about two hundred feet therefrom. The intention was that fire might not be communicated from one building to the other. It was called the north-east building, and is one hundred feet in length by forty feet wide and three stories high. It is divided by two halls running from east to west through the building, and divided into rooms for study and lodging rooms for the students.
In 1836 another edifice was erected and completed, called the south-east building. It is situated south and on a line with the building last mentioned. It is one hundred feet long, forty feet wide and three stories high. There is a hall running from the north to the south through the whole length of the building, and the building is divided into rooms of a suitable size for the accommodation of students. These buildings are all substantially built of brick and well calculated for the purposes which they are intended. There is also a brick building south-west of the main building erected for the purposes of a laboratory.
The college square is beautiful. About twenty acres of the eastern part of the college grounds yet remain in a state of nature. It is a delightful grove, shaded by the native growth, covered with a grassy carpeting, and is neatly cleared of all that would disfigure its beauty. In this grove, when the weather was pleasant, were held the commencement exercises, and for the students it afforded a delightful promenade for recreation as well as retirement. The cupola on the top of the main college building is elevated one hundred feet above the ground, from which is presented a beautiful and picturesque view of the surrounding country. Near at hand can be distinctly traced the course of Four-mile Creek, a limpid stream which meanders its serpentine course around the base of the hill and through the valley, along which can distinctly be traced the gentle elevations of the hills for a long distance either way.
Looking around the eye surveys a large extent of beautiful country dotted with its fields and farm houses, and as the view widens the largest of those seem in the distance mere garden spots and inconsiderable specks upon the landscape. Looking to the east, the eye, extending its view, takes in its farthest range the hills along the great Miami River, whose woodland summits present to the observer a blue streak, delicately tinged and apparently elevated but a few inches above the intervening landscape as they grow dimmer and still more dim, until they fade entirely in the extent.
The libraries belonging to the literary societies were united with the college library, and placed in one room. It comprises about ten thousand volumes, in almost every variety of literature and science, both ancient and modern. Some of the books are old and very rare and curious. It contains all the principal standard works, and, particularly, the circle of history is very complete. A fund was appropriated by the trustees for the annual increase of the library, which was open to the students, under certain regulations. It has received of late a large number of documents.
In the year 1825 the Board of Trustees caused to be purchased in London a philosophical apparatus which cost about one thousand dollars, which was deposited in the college, since which time various appropriations have, from time to time, been made for the purpose of purchasing additional chemical, mathematical, and philosophical apparatus.
In the year 1848 the trustees purchased from David CHRISTY a geological cabinet, for which they paid $2,222. These specimens, added to a small collection before possessed by the college, were scientifically arranged, and inclosed in glass cases, in a very tasteful manner, which afford the means of a very complete exhibition of the subjects of geology and mineralogy. They have lately been arranged, and large additions made to them by Professor OSBORN.
Literary societies have been formed and organized, belonging to the Miami University. The Erodelphian Society was organized in September, 1825, having for its professed object the cultivation of science, eloquence, and friendship. The members were all students of Miami University.
They occupied a large room in the third story of the main college building, exclusively for their own use, where they held their meetings. The room was fitted up in handsome style, and kept at all times neat and clean. The floor was covered with a carpet. On the east was an elevated stand, for the presiding officer of the meetings, and tables and desks for the secretaries. On the opposite side of the room was formerly their library, tastefully arranged on shelves, surmounted by a handsome cornice, and supported by Corinthian columns. The whole was arranged in a style of neatness and elegance rarely surpassed. The members of the society met regularly once every week during the college session, and spent from three to five hours in the investigation of subjects which have a bearing on the business of active life.
The Erodelphian Society of Miami University was incorporated by an act passed by the Legislature of the State of Ohio, on the third day of February, 1831. The society holds its anniversary on the day preceding the annual commencement of the college, at which time an address is delivered by some individual of distinguished talents, who had previously been invited by the society.
The Miami Union Literary Society had objects similar to that of the Erodelphian Society, and was, in like manner, composed of members who were students in the Miami University. They had also a room in the third story of the main college building, fitted up with the same care and neatness as that of the other society. Over the chairman's stand was a portrait, presenting a good likeness, of the Rev. Robert H. BISHOP, president of the university. The library which belonged to the society has been united with the college library. They had cases in their room containing a valuable cabinet of minerals, geological specimens, and natural curiosities.
The society was originally known as the Union Literary Society, but another society sprang up, which maintained an existence for several years. As the university, however, was not large enough to support three societies, the Union and the Miami finally consolidated under the name of Miami Union.
The last meeting of the trustees of the Miami University was held on the 15th of June, 1881, with the president, John W. HERRON, in the chair. The members present were: William BECKETT, Hamilton; Colonel John G. LOWE, Dayton; David W. McCLUNG, Nelson SAYLER, John B. PEASLEE, Rev. B. W. CHIDLAW, Samuel F. HUNT, H. W. HUGHES, Cincinnati; John M. MILLIKIN, James E. NEAL, Hamilton; J. McLain SMITH, Dayton; Dr. G. W. KEELY, L. N. BONHAM, Oxford.
Professor R. H. BISHOP, secretary, was re-elected, as were S. C. RICHEY
treasurer, and P. D. MATSON collector. The treasurer made the following
|Amount invested at 8 per cent||.......................................||$24, 950.00|
|Received for rent on lands,||.......................................||$5,838.22|
|Received for interest on loans,||.......................................||1, 656.50|
|Received for loans refunded,||.......................................||1,055.00|
|Received for various other goods,||.......................................||872.75|
|Cash in treasury, June, 1880,||.......................................||1,353.37|
|Paid out to Finance Committee,||.......................................||$1,000.00|
|Paid out for incidentals||.......................................||2,529.07|
|Cash in treasury June 15, 1881,||.......................................||$4,206.57|
The following distinguished person are graduates of Miami University:
GOVERNORS. J. J. MCRAE, class of 1834, Alabama. William DENNISON, 1835, Ohio. R. P. LOWE, 1829, Iowa. Charles ANDERSON, 1833, Ohio PRESIDENTS OF COLLEGES. W. F. FERGUSON, class of 1828, Macon College, Illinois. Freeman G. CARY, 1831 Farmers' College, Ohio. T. E. THOMAS, 1834, South Hanover College, Indiana. D. A. WALLACE, 1846, Monmouth College, Illinois. Samuel S. LAWS, 1845, University of Missouri. PROFESSORS IN COLLEGES. J. P. PRESSLY, class of 1826, Erskine College, South Carolina. J. H. HARVEY, 1827, Indiana University. G. B. BISHOP, 1828, Hanover Theological Seminary, Indiana. J. A. MATSON, 1828, Asbury University. J. I. MORRISON, 1828, Indiana University. T. ARMSTRONG, 1830, Miami University. E. N. ELLIOTT, 1830, Planters' College, Port Gibson, Mississippi. R. H. BISHOP, 1831, Miami University. S. W. MCCRACKEN, 1831, Miami University. Samuel GALLOWAY, 1833, South Hanover College, Indiana. J. M. STONE, 1834, Hanover College and University of Iowa. C. N. OLDS, 1836, Miami University. S. M. SMITH, 1836, Darling Medical Institute. C. L. TELFORD, 1836, Cincinnati College. E. B. STEVENS, 1843, Medical College, Cincinnati. T. D. MORRISON, 1846, Monmouth College, Illinois. J. C. HUTCHISON, 1856, Monmouth College, Illinois. J. A. P. MCGAW, 1856, Monmouth College, Illinois. David STEELE, 1857, Reformed Presbyterian Seminary, Philadelphia. R. C. SMITH, 1837, Oglethorpe. J. M. YOUNG, 1837, Erskine College, South Carolina. John THOMPSON, 1826, Wabash College, Indiana. C. W. GERARD, 1868, Farmers' College, Ohio.
Among the graduates of this renowned institution are also the following
Robert C. SCHENK, of Franklin, Ohio, class of 1827, lawyer, to the court of St. James; still living. William M. THOMPSON, 1828, preacher, missionary to Palestine, author of "The Land and Book;" still living. Samuel W. PARKER, 1828, distinguished lawyer, of Connersville, Indiana; deceased. William N. MCCLAIN, preacher, secretary American Colonization Society, Washington, D. C.; deceased. William S. GROESBECK, lawyer and statesman, counsel for Andrew JOHNSON in his impeachement trial. James J. FARAN, editor and proprietor of Cincinnati Enquirer. Samuel F. CARY, temperance lecturer, candidate for Vice-president on Greenback ticket in 1876. Joseph G. MONFORT, president of Glendale Female College, and editor of Cincinnati Herald and Presbyter. Benjamin W. CHIDLAW, minister, general agent American Sunday-school Union. Samuel SHELLABARGER, lawyer, Member of Congress, United States minister to Portugal, judge in Court of Claims, Washington, D. C. Benjamin HARRISON, United States Senator. George JUNKIN, Jr., of Philadelphia, a distinguished lawyer. Milton SAYLER, Member of Congress. David SWING, minister, Chicago. John W. HERRON, lawyer, Cincinnati, president Board of Trustees Miami University. Whitelaw REID, editor of New York Tribune. James H. BROOKS, Presbyterian minister, St. Louis. Rev. J. P. E. KUMLER, Presbyterian minister, Cincinnati. Dr. John S. BILLINGS, assistant United States surgeon, Washington, D. C. George E. PUGH, lawyer, United States Senator; deceased. William B. CALDWELL, lawyer, judge Supreme Court of Ohio; deceased. William M. CORRY, lawyer, Cincinnati; deceased.
Governor MORTON, of Indiana, and Governor YATES, of Illinois, also were in the university, but did not graduate. With DENNISON of Ohio, these were the war governors of three of the Northern States.
The following students, from Butler County, have graduated from Miami
University since its organization:
*John MCMECHAN, M. D., Darrtown. *George B. BISHOP, professor of Oriental languages and Biblical literature, Theological Seminary, Hanover, Indiana. *James REILY, minister from Texas to United States, Houston. Robert P. BROWN, lawyer, Dayton. Robert H. BISHOP, professor of Latin, Miami University. * Marcus H. BRIGHAM, lawyer. William R. COCHRAN, ex-probate-judge of Butler County. Ebenezer B. BISHOP, professor at Trenton, Tennessee. Lyman HARDING, superintendent public schools at Cincinnati. *William C. WOODS, lawyer, Hamilton. *Thomas E. THOMAS, minister in Presbyterian Church. *William C. CALDWELL, judge, Supreme Court of Ohio. Lucius A. BRIGHAM, lawyer. Oliver S. WITHERBY, lawyer, San Diego, California. Alfred THOMAS, lawyer and clerk, Washington, D. C. John M. GRAHAM, minister, Monmouth, Illinois. Thomas MILLIKIN, lawyer, Hamilton. James W. PARKS, lawyer, St. Charles, Missouri. William P. PARKS, minister, St. Louis, Missouri. *Francis D. RIGDON, physician, at Hamilton. *Rufus K. HARRIS, Washington, D. C. John Riley KNOX, lawyer, Greenville. Robert H. PARKS, lawyer, St. Charles, Missouri. * Michael C. RYAN, ex-clerk Common Pleas of Butler County. L. Orestes SMITH, teacher, Louisiana. S. Taylor MARSHALL, lawyer, Keokuk, Iowa. *Robert W. WILSON, minister, Bloomington, Indiana. William P. YOUNG, lawyer, Hamilton. George L. ANDREW, physician, Laporte, Indiana. John M. BISHOP, minister, Bloomington. John M. JUNKIN, physician, Mercer County, Pennsylvania. James LONG, teacher, Monmouth, Illinois. James A. I. LOWES, professor in Miami University. John OGLE, lawyer, Fayette, Mississippi. *R. L. Yates PEYTON, lawyer, Harrisonville, Missouri. Benjamin COREY, physician, San Jose, California. *Thomas CRAVEN, minister, College Hill, Indiana. George JUNKIN, lawyer, Philadelphia. *Daniel MCCLEARY, lawyer, Hamilton. *James E. TIFFANY, minister, Oxford. David S. ANDERSON, minister, Delta. John S. HITTLE, California. William BECKETT, manufacturer, Hamilton. *Robert K. LONG, physician, Americus, Indiana. *Spencer C. LYONS, Oxford. William SHOTWELL, lawyer, Hamilton. Washington FITHIAN, physician, Paris, Kentucky. Jacob W. OGLE, farmer, Terre Haute, Indiana. Henry TAYLOR, merchant, Lafayette, Indiana. William CHRISTY, editor, Jacksonville, Florida. Robert CHRISTY, lawyer, Washington, D. C. William J. MOOYNEAUX, lawyer, Charleston, South Carolina. James CORRY, physician, Santa Clara, California. James R. MCARTHUR, teacher, Montezuma, Indiana. James N. SWAN, minister, Glasgow. *John J. TIFFANY, minister, Urbana. Charles WATERMAN, Lebanon. Andrew M. BROOKS, superintendent public schools, Springfield, Illinois. Abner S. LATHROP, lawyer, Brazoria, Texas. *Matthew HUESTON, lawyer, deputy treasurer of Butler County. John W. LINDLEY. John M. TREMBLY, physician, farmer, and mathematician. Samuel B. MATTHEWS, lawyer, Cincinnati. J. Knox BOUDE, physician, Carthage, Illinois. *Isaac S. LANE, lawyer, Memphis, Tennessee. Lewis W. ROSS, lawyer, Council Bluffs, Iowa. J. Alexander ANDERSON, minister, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. P. Corey CONKLIN, lawyer, Hamilton. Jeremiah P. E. KUMLER, minister, Cincinnati. Stephen CRANE, lawyer, Hamilton. George A. HOWARD. David W. MCCLUNG, collector of customs, Cincinnati. Frederick MALTBY, farmer, St. Paul, Minnesota. *Minor MILLIKIN, colonel, First Ohio Cavalry. *Isaac ANDERSON, farmer, Venice. Andrew J. COREY, physician, California. Ransford SMITH, lawyer, Cincinnati. Henry J. LATHROP, Chicago, Illinois. Benjamin F. MILLER, lawyer, Hamilton. Jacob A. ZELLER, superintendent public schools, Evansville, Indiana. John S. BILLINGS, assistant-surgeon, United States Army, Washington, D. C. James P. CALDWELL, teacher, Memphis, Tennessee. James FERGUSON, physician, Camden, Ohio. Benjamin F. THOMAS, probate judge, Hamilton. *Joel TUTTLE, lawyer, Council Bluffs, Iowa. Robert F. BROOKS, surgeon, United States Navy. Edward A. GUY, Cincinnati. Abner F. JONES, minister. *George M. LYTLE, Oxford. *Charles B. MAGILL, minister. J. Barnes PATTERSON, minister, Elizabeth, New Jersey. Frank H. SCOBEY, editor, Hamilton. John B. SMITH, president Farmers' College, College Hill. W. Mark WILLIAMS, minister in China. Joseph MILLIKIN, professor in Ohio Agricultural College, Columbus, Ohio. John K. BROOKS, Carthage, Missouri. Palmer W. SMITH, lawyer, Oxford. Thomas J. WOODRUFF, farmer, Oxford. Heber GILL, Reading. George W. MCCRACKEN, Oxford. *C. C. HOLBROOK, Oxford. George S. BISHOP, lawyer, Jewell, Kansas. Henry H. FARR, Oxford. R. M. L. HUSTON, physician, Oxford. *John N. WYMAN, lawyer, Topeka, Kansas. B. F. DAVIS, teacher, Hamilton, Ohio. W. DeCamp HANCOCK, physician, Millville. James W. MOORE, lawyer, Hamilton. James C. OLIVER, Santa Barbara, California. W. H. TALBERT, Venice. Nehemiah WADE, Jr., farmer, Venice. Edward N. EVANS, United States collector. *Harvey LEE, lawyer, Indianapolis. James M. MCFARLAND, Topeka, Kansas. Joseph MCMAKIN, reporter Cincinnati Enquirer, Hamilton. W. V. SHAFER, physician, Hamilton. William STEWART, principal public schools, Oxford, Ohio. *Matthew WADE, minister, Venice, Ohio. Philip G. BERRY, lawyer, Hamilton. William S. GIFFEN, lawyer, Hamilton. Jeremiah M. HUNT, physician, Trenton. Frank F. SCOTT, farmer, Venice. John Marshall VANDYKE, physician, Mason, Ohio. Elias R. ZELLER, superintendent public schools, Burlington, Iowa. R. H. ADAMS, principal Marion Academy, Marion, Kentucky. S. L. BISHOP, civil engineer, Kansas. B. R. FINCH, teacher, Oxford. Thomas FITZGERALD, minister. *Samuel MALTERT, lawyer, Hamilton. Joseph C. MCKEE, journalist, Indianapolis. N. E. WARWICK, lawyer, Hamilton. *Roger WILLIAMS, journalist, Paddy's Run. A. A. LOVETT, physician, Eaton, Ohio. The following is a list of the faculty of the University: PRESIDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY.
|1824||Rev. R. H. BISHOP, D. D.||1841|
|1841||Rev. George JUNKIN, D. D.||1844|
|1844||Rev. John McARTHUR||(pro tem.)|
|1845||Rev. E. D. McMASTER, D. D.||1849|
|1849||Rev. W. C. ANDERSON, D. D.||1854|
|1854||O. N. STODDARD, A. M.||(pro tem.)|
|1854||Rev. J. W. HALL, D. D.||1866|
|1872||Rev. A. D. HEPBURN||1873|
|1824||John E. ANNAN,||Mathematics and Nat. Phil.,||1828|
|1825||William H. McGUFFEY,||Languages.||1832|
|1828||John W. SCOTT,||Mathematics & Natural Science,||1832|
|1832||S. W. McCRACKEN,||Mathematics,||1835|
|1832||Wm. H. McGUFFEY,||Philology & Mental Science,||1836|
|1832||John W. SCOTT,||Natural Science,||1845|
|1835||S. W. McCRACKEN,||Languages,||1837|
|1835||A. T. BLEDSOE,||Mathematics,||1836|
|1837||S. W. McCRACKEN,||Mathematics,||1840|
|1837||John McARTHUR,||Grecian Literature,||1849|
|1837||Chauncey N. OLDS,||Latin,||1840|
|1841||R. H. BISHOP, D. D.,||History & Politcal Science,||1845|
|1841||J. C. MOFFAT, D. D.,||Rom. Literature & Rhetoric,||1852|
|1841||John W. ARMSTRONG,||Mathematics,||1843|
|1843||George WATTERMAN, Jr.,||Mathematics,||1844|
|1845||Thomas J. MATTHEWS,||Mathematics,||1852|
|1845||O. N. STODDARD,||Natural Philosophy & Chemistry,|| |
|1849||Charles ELLIOT,||Grecian Literature and Logic,||1863|
|1852||R. H. BISHOP,||Latin,|| |
|1852||T. A. WYLIE,||Mathematics,||1855|
|1853||Charles HRUBY,||Modern Languages,||1857|
|1856||R. W. McFARLAND,||Mathematics,|| |
|1858||J. C. CRISTIN, M. D.,||Modern Languages,||1860|
|1863||J. Y. McKEE,||Greek,||1866|
|1866||Arthur BURTIS,||Greek,||(pro tem.)|
|S. H. McMULLIN,||Greek.|
|Caleb H. CARLTON,||Military Science.|
|Henry S. OSBORN, LL. D.,||Natural Science.|
|James D. COLEMAN,||Greek.|
_________________________________________________________________ (Those marked with an asterisk (*) are deceased.)