Mrs. Jane BETZ was born in Morgan Township, March 27, 1812, being the daughter of David and Margaret (RAINEY) BELL. David BELL settled in Morgan Township at an early day. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and Mrs. BELL of Ireland. They reared five children, two of whom are living, Robert J. and Mrs. BETZ. Mr. and Mrs. BELL died in 1834, from cholera. Their daughter was educated in the common schools, and was at home till the death of her parents. She was married to Ludwick BETZ about this time. Mr. BETZ was then deputy auditor, under James B. CAMERON, and afterwards was elected to the same position for two terms. He was also county surveyor from 1836 to 1842. He died September 2, 1847. He was a successful business man and an esteemed citizen. Mrs. BETZ is a member of the Universalist Church, and has resided in Hamilton since 1835.
Stephen D. BOWERS was born in Fairfield Township, in this county, August 16, 1845, being the youngest son of Daniel and Elizabeth (THORP) BOWERS. The father was long a resident of that township, but died in September, 1845, a month after his son was born. Mrs. BOWERS, who was the duaghter of C. C. THORP, reared her family of three little children successfully, only one of them now, however, surviving. She died October 18, 1878. Stephen D. BOWERS was educated at home, in the common schools. When sixteen he began learning the trade of machinist, and worked as a journeyman for two years. He was connected with a life insurance company for a year, in Cincinnati, and then traveled for a manufacturing shoe house some three or four years. April 28, 1868, he began in the boot and shoe business for himself, in a modest way, and has built up a large and valuable trade.
Mr. BOWERS was married May 19, 1870, to Miss Susan Elizabeth WALTON. They are the parents of two sons and two daughters - Gertrude, Cornelia, George W., and Walton S. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the Odd Fellows. His brother, G. W. BOWERS, enlisted in the Thity-fifth Ohio Volunteers in 1861, and was wounded at the siege of Atlanta. He died in hospital at Nashville, Tennessee, July 1, 1864. His sister Cornelia was married to Cyrus POTTENGER, of Camden, Ohio, and died July 11, 1880.
L.A. BOLI, jeweler, was born in Washington, Indiana, January 16, 1848, and is the only son of Jacob and Caroline BOLI. He was educated in Hamilton, where he came with his parents in 1856, graduating at the high school. He was in delicate health in his youth, and began his present business in 1869 in a modest way. He has since learned the trade, and is now a practical jeweler, having the largest business in that line in Hamilton. He is a dealer in watches, jewelry, silverware, clocks, and optical goods. He was married on the 10th of May, 1869, to Miss Carrie BUCKLE, daughter of jacob BUCKLE. hey are the parents of five children, of whom three are living - Lewis J., Edward O., and Carrie. Mr. BOLI was elected a member of the shcool board for the Third Ward in the Spring of 1882, and has done good work there. He is a supporter of all Christian and worthy objects, and is a member of the masonic order, the Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, and the American Order of nited Workmen. He succeeded to the business of William E. DRAYER, one of the oldest jewelers in Butler County, From whom he bought the property where his business is located. He is also one of the firm of L. A. BOLI & Co., of the Miami Valley Soap Works, a new concern, doing a promising business in laundry and toilet soaps.
Peter P. BLACK was born in France, on the 29th of June, 1817, and was there educated. When he was thirteen he commenced an apprenticeship of three years at the blacksmith's trade, and worked as a journeyman for two years in Metz. On coming to America he located in Saugerties, New York, for some time, working in the stone-quarries for nine months, and then coming to Cincinnati, where he commenced blacksmithing on his own account, at Newtown, Hamilton County. On the 17th of August, 1841, he was married to Mary CARBEL, born in Germany, October 13, 1817. Mr. and Mrs. Black are the parents of five children, of whom three are living. Frank X. is a well known manufacturer of Hamilton; F. D. is the present sheriff of the county; and Mary is the wife of George SCHRODER. Mr. BLACK lived in Newtown some time after his marriage, being engaged as a blacksmith, but in 1844 came to Butler County, locating in Jacksonburg, and carrying on his occupation there for nine months. In the Fall of that year he came to Hamilton, where he has since been. He worked at twenty dollars per month for Isaac TOBIAS, for three years, and then began as a manufacturer of plows. In 1856 and 1857 he organized the firm of LONG, BLACK & ALSTATTER, manufacturers of reapers, mowers, etc. This firm existed until 1872, since which time he has led a retired life.
Edgar A. BELDEN, attorney and counselor-at-law, was born in Hamilton, November 28, 1855. He is the son of Samuel C. and Mary (FITTON) BELDEN, and was educated in the schools of Hamilton, graduating at the high school in 1872. He then engaged in the insurance business in Cincinnati for five years, but in 1879 began reading law in the office of Thomas MILLIKIN. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1881, and immediately began practice in Hamilton. He is connected with the Methodists, and is the president of the Irving Literary Club, a pleasant and agreeable society.
Charles BECK, senior, was born in Germany on the 15th of February, 1812. He was educated in Germany, and became an apprentice to the shoemaker's art in Vienna in 1825, serving three years. He worked as a journeyman in Prague for some time, and was in the army for six years, from 1832 to 1838. When discharged he left Germany, and arrived in America January 4, 1839, where he was married on the 3d of February, 1839, to Theresa STARK, who was born in Germany, December 25, 1808. They were the parents of eight children, of whom four are living. Henry E. is a resident of Hamilton; Harriet is the wife of A. WINTER, of this place; Charles, Jr. is also a well-known resident, and Katy is the wife of Alexander GETZ. Mr. BECK arrived in Ohio in the Spring of 1839, coming direct to Hamilton, still employed at shoemaking, and residing in Venice for some eight years. He then engaged in farming, purchasing a place in Ross Township, and staying there for eight years. In Hanover township he was one year, returning to Hamilton in 1857, and beginning mercantile business in 1859. In 1860 he entered the firm of BECK & WINTER, keeping a general store. Of late he has been out of business. He is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
Christian BRADY was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, October 13, 1812, coming to Ohio with his parents in the same year. They settled in Reily Township. He is the oldest son of Joseph and Mary (SHIPMAN) BRADY. The father was a pioneer, and raised a large family of twelve children, six of whom are living. Christian was educated in the common schools in Reily Township, and was brought up to farming until he was twenty-one years of age, when he began learning the carpenter's trade. At this he worked for eleven years, then purchasing a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in that township. He was married in 1844 to Maria, daughter of Benjamon SORTMAN. They are the parents of two children, one now living, Ada, the wife of Dr. J. B. SCOTT. Mr. BRADY came to Hamilton in February, 1865, and engaged in the grocery business for two years, afterwards leading a retired life until December, 1881. In company with his brother-in-law, D. SORTMAN, he began the manufacture of grain cradles. He is a member of the Christian Church.
William Barton CARR was born in Hanover Township in 1848, being the son of John W. and Elizabeth J. CARR. He attended the common schools, afterwards going to Otterbein University and the Miami University, and also received a commercial education at the college in Hamilton. He was married in 1872 to Clara BROWN, daughter of William E. BROWN and Mary BECKETT. They have had four children. Bessie was born in 1873, Maynard in 1876, Mary in 1880, and William Everett in 1881. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. His occupation is that of the proprietor of a flouring-mill. His great-grandfather was in the Revolutionary War, and his grandfather in the War of 1812.
Mrs. Jane Hudson CORWIN was born in Mourne, County Down, Ireland, October 6, 1809, and came to this country with her father, the Rev. James McMECHAN, in the Autumn of 1817, taking up her residence in this town in the Spring of 1818. She was thoroughly instructed by her mother and older sister, and was possessed of great beauty and attractive manners. April 15, 1829, she was married by the Rev. Dr. MacDILL to Jesse CORWIN, one of the leading members of the Hamilton bar. This pair of generous and genial people kept a hospitable home for many years in this city, which was a pleasant resort for their many friends, and those of them who still survive will recall with grateful memories the cordial civilities of their departed hosts. Eight children were born to them, only three of whom are living. Thomas CORWIN, one of her sons, rushed to the defense of the country when attacked by rebels, and in April, 1861, joined the Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mrs. CORWIN united with the Associate Reformed Church in 1840, and sat under the preaching of the Rev. Messrs. MacDILL and DAVIDSON for many years. She was naturally a believer in the truths of religion, and gave them her unquestioning assent. In both prose and poetry she wielded a facile pen, and her productions were warmly received by her friends. She was a welcome contributor to the newspapers, and five or six years ago gathered her verses from their files, added a few new ones, and published them in book form, entitling the "The Harp of Home." Her death occurred March 6, 1881. Few have left behind them more friends to lament their loss.
Leroy D. BROWN, superintendent of the schools of Hamilton, was born November 3, 1848, in what is now Noble County, Ohio. He is the son of Jeremiah B. and Isabella (HARRIS) BROWN. He attended district school until the age of fifteen, from three to six months each year. Each school was provided, by legislative enactment, with a library, and during his boyish days BROWN read every volume in the list. His choice was for biography, history, and travels. He was obliged to labor the rest of the year. When fifteen, having been unable to obtain the consent of his father to enlist, he ran away, and entered Company H, One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio. This was in January, 1864. He remained in the service until the close of the war. He was in the Shenandoah Valley, and saw service under SIEGEL, HUNTER, CROOK, and SHERIDAN in this department, and afterward was in the Army of the James, near Richmond. When discharged he was the general's orderly.
After returning home he was in the district school, and afterward in a high school at Seneca, Ohio. He began his career as a teacher on December 3, 1866, in a district adjoining the one in which he had lived in boyhood. In April, 1867, he entered Mount Auburn Academy, where he in part fitted for college, and in 1869 joined the preparatory department of the Ohio Wesleyan University, from which he was afterward graduated. He taught in Noble County during the greater part of 1872 and 1873, and was also county examiner. In 1873 he took charge of a graded school at Newport, and was afterward made superintendent. In 1874 he was in charge of the public schools at Belpre, and in 1875 he was made superintendent of the schools of Eaton, Preble County. This position he filled until 1879, when he was elected superintendent of the schools of Hamilton and has since been re-elected. He is the secretary of the State Association, and a writer in educational periodicals. He served a term as trustee of the Lane Free Library, and is a post-graduate student of the Cincinnati University. He was admitted to the bar in 1878. He married November 28, 1878, Esther Emma GABEL, daughter of Lucian and Mary A. GABEL. The father is an architect and builder, and now resides in Hamilton. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN have one boy, Thomas Pollok BROWN, who is about three years of age. Mr. BROWN is a Mason, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Torence Edgar CRIDER was born in Madison Township, May 26, 1856, being the son of Abraham and Dorcas SMITH CRIDER. His father was of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Scotch-Irish descent. He went to school until 1869, then beginning to work at telegraphing, which he had learned in leisure hours. He obtained a situation in Middletown, and was afterwards at various places in the employment of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Road. He then received an appointment in the auditor's office, under S. B. BERRY, in April, 1878, and has remained there ever since, being reappointed by J. B. HUGHES. Since being in that office he has learned surveying, and has made several elaborate maps. One series, covering the whole of the county, was executed for the county commissioners, and was a beautiful piece of work. He is an ardent Democrat, and takes great interest in political affairs. He was nominated for county surveyor in August, 1882. He was married December 24, 1879, to Mattie H. OVERPECK, daughter of David and Rachel OVERPECK, and has two children.
Augustus H. CISLE was born in Mount Pleasant, Hamilton County, August 18, 1847. He is the oldest son of Thomas J. and MERCY (SEWARD) CISLE. With his parents he removed to Preble County in 1856. He attended school in these two counties, and afterwards in Morning Sun Academy, until 1863, when he enlisted in MERRILL's Horse Regiment, and was with that command in the Missouri campaingn, also being in Arkansas, and at the battle of Nashville. He served until after the close of the war, being mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, September 1, 1865. Returning to civil life, Mr. CISLE located in Hamilton in November of the same year, beginning an apprenticeship at the trade of blacksmithing at the establishment where he now is junior partner, then M. SHIPLEY & Co. After acquiring the trade he was placed in charge of the shop as foreman, and continuing in that capacity till becoming a partner, in 1879. The firm name is now MILLIKIN & CISLE, and the members are R. B. MILLIKIN and A. H. CISLE. They are the successors to the Hamilton Plow Company, and employ on the average thirty-five men. Mr. CISLE was married on the 3d of July, 1872, to Miss Amanda WALTON. They are the parents of one daughter, Susie Mercy, born October 30, 1876. Mr. CISLE is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
John B. CORNELL, cashier of the First National Bank is the fourth of ten children of Joseph CORNELL and Elizabeth BEELER. He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, February 1, 1833. The father was a native of Pennington, New Jersey, and the mother was born in Hamilton Coutny. The father came to Ohio in 1816, with his father, when seventeen years old. He was a school-teacher, John B. WELLER being one of his students. John B. CORNELL was educated in a log school-house, and at college in Cincinnati, but on account of his health, withdrew at the age of twenty-one. He taught school a year and a half. He then went into Dr. PECK's private bank as book-keeper till 1861, when the bank suspended. In February, 1862, he engaged as book-keeper with GWYN & CAMPBELL, in a gun manufactory which made government carbines. In August, 1863, the First National Bank was organized, and he was made assistant cashier. In April, 1864, he became cashier, a position he has ever since held. In 1878, he engaged in the ice business and has been president of the Lake Erie Ice Company since that date, in company with S. D. FITTON, its founder. He cast his first vote for CHASE, as governor, and has been a Republican and Abolitionist all his life. He has been active in politics. He has been a Mason for many years, and was for some time secretary of his lodge in Sharonville.
Mr. CORNELL was married April 9, 1857, to Miss Phebe F. HAGEMAN, os Sharonville, Hamilton County, the daughter of Adrian and Mary HAGEMAN. She died May 24, 1864, leaving two children, Carrie, born October 18, 1859, and Charles, born September 7, 1861. Carrie has spent the year in Berlin, studying the languages and music. he son is a book-keeper in the bank. Mr. CORNELL was again married on the 18th of April, 1866. One child, John, was born October 18, 1869. With his two oldest children, Mr. CORNELL went to Europe in 1881, taking a tour through the principal cities, and going as far south as Rome and Venice.
H. H. CARLE, who was born in Butler Count7y, June 6, 1841, is the only son of Pierson and Hannah (SCUDDER) CARLE. Pierson CARLE was born in this county in 1815, and was the son of Thomas CARLE, a pioneer of this neighborhood, who settled, in 1802, in Madison Township, close to what was afterward known as BALL's Ferry. Pierson CARLE was a carpenter by trade, and lived in Trenton. He was a grain buyer, and came to Hamilton in 1865. He continued the grain business here until about 1870, when he organized the firm of P. CARLE & Co., purchasing the Miami Canal Flouring-mills, and carrying them on for the remainder of his life, enlarged and improved. He was a successful business man, and raised a family of one daughter and one son, the former being the wife of J. H. WILLIAMSON, of Milford Township. He died October 7, 1878.
J. H. CARLE was educated in the common schools in Madison Township and assisted his father in purchasing grain. After the mill was bought he became a partner, and after the death of his father was the head of the firm, which consists of himself and William ANDERSON. The mill is an extensive one, and with a much increased capacity within the past two years, making a superior brand of flour, and supplying a demand that exists in Richmond, Virginia, and New England. It is the most extensive flouring-mill in Hamilton.
Mr. CARLE was married April 13, 1865, to Miss Dorcas, daughter of Samuel YOUNG, a former well known resident of Milford Township. They are the parents of one son, Charles C. born May 10, 1869. Mrs. CARLE is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-fifth Ohio, and was in the battles of Mill Springs, Pittsburg Landing, and Stone River. Through an accident he lost his left eye, and was discharged from the service. He re-enlisted in the One Hudnred and Sixty-seventh, and served in West Virginia for four months, his full term, and was mustered out in the Fall. After this he was a resident of Anderson, Indiana, for some seven years, buying grain for P. CARLE & Son.
Dr. John CASS was born in Westfield, Chautauqua County, New York, June 16, 1832. He is the son of Joseph and Jane (DICKSON) CASS. When nineteen, he graduated from the Westville Academy, and afterwards, as well as before, taught school. He had also read medicine, beginning his books in the office of Dr. Leva A. CASS, in Westfield, and continued in that for one year. He then entered the Long Island Medical College, where he remained till he graduated from it in June, 1857. He commenced to practice in Thirteenth Street, New York, staying there some four years, coming to Ohio in 1861, where he purchased a drug store in the northern part of the State. Before arriving in Ohio he had taken two courses of lectures at Bellevue Medical College, graduating at that institute in 1863. He did a successful business in the drug line for some time, also practicing his profession. He then sold his drug store, locating afterwards in Massillon, Ohio, for four years, coming to Hamilton in September, 1877, and at once beginning practice, which is now extensive.
The doctor was married December 22, 1858, to Miss Marianne PARKER, of New Hampshire, and has had two sons, Daniel and Harry G., who are living with their father. Mrs. CASS died December 10, 1872. He was again married on the 27th of September, 1876, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, Massillon, Ohio, to Miss Florence A. BUCHER. They were the parents of one daughter, Florence B., who was born April 19, 1878. Mrs. CASS died April 24, 1878. He adheres to the Episcopal Church, and has been active in its behalf. He has belonged to the Masonic order for some twenty-three years, and is a member of the city board of health.
James E. NEAL, ex-speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, was born in Hamilton, November 21, 1846. He is the son of James A. NEAL and M. GIFFEN. He attended the common schools of Hamilton, and afterward enjoyed a collegiate education. He read law with Robert CHRISTY, in this city, and was admitted to the bar in 1868, immediately beginning practice. As a lawyer, his success has been great. He is now one of the attorneys for the New York, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad. Soon after being admitted to the bar, he was chosen by the Democracy of this district as their candidate for the Legislature, and was triumphantly elected, serving two years as a member on the floor and two years as speaker ending his term in 1870. He was the youngest speaker the House ever had, and proved an adept in parliamentary rules and usages. He has been lieutenant colonel of the Fourth Regiment, Ohio National Guard. He has achieved an enviable reputation as a lawyer, legislator, and public man. He was married on the 5th of June, 1882, to Miss May B. McKINNEY, of Hamilton.
Michael C. RYAN was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, of which place his mother and father were natives, in 1820, and removed to this State in 1832. He soon began his preparatory studies for Miami University, and was admitted to that school in 1835, graduating with the highest honors in 1839. During the last year of his stay in college, he, with seven others, founded the Beta Theta Pi, a Greek Ooxford, and became the partner of his brother-in-law, John B. WELLER, who then was one of the most important men in the county. From 1848 to 1852 he was prosecuting attorney, and from 1852 to 1858 was clerk of the courts. In 1856 he was a delegate from the State of Ohio to the Democratic National Convention which met in Cincinnati that year, and which nominated James BUCHANAN. He was clerk of the fund commissioners of this county to distribute the surplus revenue of the United States among the various States. In November, 1847, in conjunction with O. S. WITHERBY, he purchased the Hamilton Telegraph, and in October, 1849, became its editor. Mr. Ryan was a Mason, having taken the degrees of knighthood, and for one term presided in the chapter. At the outbreak of the civil war he took a strong stand for the government, and was made colonel of the Fiftieth Ohio, but his death, which followed soon after, prevented him from takng any active part in the field. That occurred on the 23d of October, 1861. He was a great lover of books, and gathered a large and valuable library. He was married in 1845 to Emily LEFFLAR, and had three children. Sophia is now dead, Emma is Mrs. Samuel L'HOMMEDIEU, and William is the only son. He was married in December, 1860, to a daughter of Dr. HALE, of St. Louis. The father of Colonel RYAN, Isaac RYAN, was born in Pennsylvania, and was a merchant; he married Sophia DAVIS, the granddaughter of a Swiss noble. Mrs. Emily RYAN was the only child of William and Margaret LEFFLAR, also of Pennsylvania.