John E. SLAYBACK was born in Butler County, February 16, 1848, and is the son of William and Sarah A. SLAYBACK. He attended the public schools, afterwards taking both the scientific and classical courses at the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio. He spent one year in the Michigan University Law School for six years, and located in Hamilton July 1, 1879, beginning the practice of the law. He is a Republican politically. He was married February 16, 1881 to Miss Irene a. DODDS at Mason, Warren County. She is the daughter of John A. DODDS a member of the Ohio Legislature in 1849, 1850 and 1851.
Among those whose deaths were most deeply regretted in Hamilton was Mrs. Eleanor A. SMITH, the widow of Charles K. SMITH. She was a daughter of the Rev James MCMECHAN, of Newry, County Down, Ireland, who had been regularly educated for the Presbyterian ministry at Glasgow, Scotland. Although possessed of ability as a preacher, he did not follow that calling along, but was for many years a teacher. In April, 1800, he married Miss Margery HUDSON, of Dublin, the daughter of a Quaker family, of whom a full account is given elsewhere. They lived happily together for nearly twenty years, and had six children of whom Mrs. SMITH was the eldest. They are all now dead.
Before Mr. MCMECHAN came to this country, three brothers had settled in the Seven-Mile Valley in this county, where they left numerous and respectable descendants. He was solicited by them to come here, and sailed from Ireland in summer 1817. The voyage was tedious, and lasted more than three months, but their journey was not yet ended. The Alleghanies were to be crossed, and a boat was to be taken down the Ohio River. This required six weeks longer. In the spring of 1818 the family settled in Hamilton. The father, one of his sons and Eleanor, at one began teaching, the latter on the northeast corner of Third and Buckeye Streets. The building was on the lot adjoining that now occupied by Lane Library, and the well from which her pupils drank is still standing on the library lot. But Mr. MEMECHAN soon died and was followed by his son William, a youth of great promise.
"Miss Ellen," as she was then known, assumed the responsibilities of the school, although she was but seventeen years of age, having been born on the 24th day June 1801. She was the first female who ever taught in Hamilton. She proved herself equal to the situation and the best of families of the town sent their children to her to receive instruction. Among them were the names of REILY, SUTHERLAND, BLAIR (two families), MILLIKIN (three families), WILSON (3 families), HOUGH, GREER, DAVIS, KENNEDY, CALDWELL, MURRAY, MONFORT, BOAL, WOODS, FALCONER, DICKEY AND CUMMINS. After a year's residence at the location named, she removed to Ludlow Street, where her school was continued for seven years.
She was married on the 21st of November 1827, to Charles K. SMITH, then a young and rising man in the town, and destined ultimately to become a man of great distinction. The officiating clergyman was the Rev. Francis MONFORT. There were nine children born of this union, of whom six survive, and except one son, are residents of this city. Her children were all carefully instructed by her, as she never considered that the knowledge derived at the schools could supersede the necessity of training on her part. Her own education had been far beyond the common, and she was well fitted for the task. She had been thoroughly grounded in the Scriptures in her youth, and always retained the sound and broad basis of religion then acquired. Not long after her marriage she united with the Associate Reformed Church, of which Dr. MACDILL was pastor. To that organization she adhered until 1873, when she withdrew and became a member of the Episcopal Church. Her death occurred March 6, 1879, of chronic bronchitis. Mrs. Smith was a woman of great originality and decision of character, with manners refined and dignified, and was justly regarded as one of the most accomplished woman of her day.
Ezra POTTER, real estate agent, was born near Trenton, Butler County December 10, 1810. He is the son of Samuel MAXWELL and Elizabeth CODDINGTON POTTER. Samuel Maxwell POTTER was born in New Jersey, in 1779, where his family had been for a long time settled. His great grandfather, Daniel POTTER, purchased a tract of land one mile square and moved up from Connecticut Farms and built a residence upon it. The town of Summit is now build on this land in what was then Essex but now Union County, a county since formed by detached portions of Essex and Somerset, with Elizabeth for its county-seat. Summit is a beautiful suburban town, twenty-two miles from New York on the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. When he was about eight years of age, his father, Russel POTTER , and family, left New Jersey and settled near Morgantown, Virginia. Maxwell remained with his father until he was about twenty-two years of age, when he married Elizabeth CODDINGTON, of Alleghany County, Maryland. He then left for the West, coming to Ohio in 1803d, and purchased a tract of land now known as the Henry SELLERS farm in Madison Township. There was a log cabin upon this land, and two or three acres partially cleared when he purchased it.
He was followed by his father and mother, Russel and Rhoda POTTER (his mother was before marriage Rhoda MAXWELL, of New Jersey), and their other son Levi, in 1805. They purchased a tract of land adjoining the one above described (now known as the Edward CORNTHWAIT farm), which became the farm of Levi, and on which they all lived together and where five of the two families died. Russel and Rhoda POTTER, the parents both died in February 1814, with cold plague, and Levi and his wife Chloe, and their eldest daughter Rachel, all died during the winter of 1830, with typhoid fever. Russel POTTER, of Hamilton, and Mrs. Charlotte BAIRD, of Trenton, are the only surviving member of the children of Levi and Chloe POTTER, five of whom are dead.
Maxwell was twice married. He reared a family of eight children, seven of whom were by the first marriage and one by the second. His first wife, Elizabeth CODDINGTON, died in 1819. His second wife was a widow, Sally G. SQUIER, her maiden name being Sally GARD. She was a native of New Jersey, and a high esteemed woman. She died in 1852. Of the eight children three only survive: William, a resident of Wayne County, Indiana; Mrs. E. HARTLEY of Franklin, Warren County, Ohio and Ezra, of Hamilton. Benjamin POTTER, deceased, late of Middletown, Ohio was the eldest of his children. The other daughters, after marriage, were Mrs. Hannah EMANS, Mrs. Rhoda MOREHOUSE, Mrs. Mary Lucas and Mrs. Sarah A. MARTIN, who was the first wife of John L. MARTIN, now of Hamilton. Samuel Maxwell POTTER died in March 1842, at the age of sixty-three years. He was an earnest Christian, and an active member of the Baptist church at Trenton, from the time he came to Ohio until the close of his life. His bearing was such that his influence for many years was felt in sustaining a good moral standing in the neighborhood where he lived.
Ezra POTTER was born on the farm which his father purchased when he first came to Ohio. At that time there was so little land cleared and in a condition to cultivate, that it required the constant labor of father and sons to provide a living for their family. His opportunities of acquiring an education were, therefore, very limited. He remained on the farm with his father until he was twenty-three years of age, except that in the year 1830, he and two other young men formed a partnership and purchased a canal-boat which they run from Amanda to Cincinnati. It was generally freighted with whisky and flour on the down trip. The tow-path of the canal at that time would compare favorably with the swamps of Darke County. In 1834 he entered into the employment of a store-keeper in Trenton, receiving six dollars a month. At the end of ten or twelve months he purchased the stock of goods from his employer on a long credit, not having at the time fifty dollars in cash, but by good fortune and close attention to business, succeeded in paying for it, and at the end of four years sold out completely and found he had gained a handsome little sum to commence business with again.
He was twice married, first in 1835, to Mary L. GARD, daughter of the Rev. Stephen GARD of Trenton. In February 1841, he moved to Hamilton with his family, then a wife and two children and a nephew, E. P. EMANS, whom he reared from a small boy until he was twenty-three years of age, and commenced a grocery business in a one-story frame building on the north-west corner of High an Third Streets, where J. W. FYE's grocery now is, and occupied as a dwelling the adjoining building, where Albert KENNEDY lives. His term of business there was short. In a few weeks his family were all sick, and continued so with but little abatement for several months. In August 1841, his wife died, after which he a long continued illness at this father's house in Trenton, during which time he sold his Hamilton grocery and remained with his father's family. In 1844, he was married to Catherine MILLER, daughter of Ellis MILLER, who was also one of the pioneers of Butler County. He then returned to Hamilton and resumed mercantile business in the room now occupied by the HUGHES Brothers.
In 1845, he induced his father-in-law, Ellis MILLER, to move to Hamilton, and during that year they built a saw-mill on the hydraulic, near the north-east corner of Dayton and Lowell Streets, where the BENDER Brothers' planing and flooring mill has since been erected. He then sold his interest in the sawmill, and in 1846, built what now known as CARR'S flouring-mill, which fronts on Dayton Street and the hydraulic. This building he leased to Denman ROSS and Martin LEMON, to be used by them for the purpose of spinning cotton. They did not, however, continue the business long. Mr. ROSS went East to get information concerning the improvements made in manufacturing in his line of business, and while in Lowell was offered a large salary to engage in business there, which he accepted. This building was sold by Mr. POTTER and afterwards converted into a flouring-mill. It was the first factory building erected on the east branch of the Hamilton Hydraulic.
He also sold his stock of dry goods, and in 1850 removed to Camden, in Preble County, Ohio, where he again engaged in the mercantile business for several years, returning to Hamilton in 1856, and opening a real estate office (the first of its kind in Hamilton). This being his principal business from that time to the present. During this period he was engaged in the lumber and coal trade three years, and was also United Sates deputy collector of internal revenue in Butler County for three years, commencing in October 1862. His business and fortune have been somewhat varied. They were generally prosperous, but the change in times caused a large shrinkage in the value of real estate for a number of years, commencing soon after the year 1870, and continuing up to near 1880, and this very materially changed his financial condition.
He had had five children, two by the first marriage and three by the second. Only one of each survives. As to the children of the first, Anna E., the eldest, remains at home with him; Laura died at the age of twenty-three years. As to the children of the present Mrs. POTTER, Frank, her first child, died at the age of three years; her next, Mary P., died in May 1881, at the age of thirty-two years; and Ellis M., the youngest, is engaged in mercantile business in Cincinnati. Mary P. was the wife of John N. WYMAN. He died in Topeka, Kansas, in June 1879, where they had been living and she died at the home of her parents, in Hamilton. They were both highly respected and their death greatly lamented by a large circle of relatives and friends.
Joshua B. EMERSON was born march 23, 1782, in Vermont, and died September 30, 1863. He married Mary BURNHAM (widow of Samuel PHILLIPS) born August 14, 1798, in Hartford, Connecticut. She died January 5, 1879. They had five children, of whom two are living. Anna Eliza was born September 4, 1829, in Fairfield Township, and is the wife of Andrew MCMORMICK; Harriet was born November 6, 1930, and is single. The two who died were Mary who was born November 14, 1832, and died September 28, 1844, and Frances A. born June 22, 1835, who died February 5, 1868. Mr. EMERSON came to Fairfield Township in 1830 with his father.
John J. LONGFELLOW was born in Butler County in 1827, and was married in 1850, to Harriet MOUDY, born in 1828, in Hamilton County. They have had one child Othias M. LONGFELLOW.
Stephen H. ELKINS was born in Frederick County, Virginia, about 1781 and died about 1846, in Montgomery County, Indiana. He married Abigail CATTERLIN, born in New Jersey, about 1763, who died about 1850 and had nine children, seven of whom grew to maturity, and two of whom are living. Rueben was born April 28, 1808, and is married, and living at SYMMES's Corners; Joseph was born October 7, 1814 and is married, living Fairfield Township. He had no capital when he came and worked on a farm. He was drafted for the War of 1812, but was only out a few days, under Colonel SIGLESON. He was discharged at Middletown. He was a member of the Baptist Church. His grandfather on his mother's side, Joseph CATTERLIN, was a captain in the Revolutionary War.
Moore P. VINNEDGE, an old and respected resident of Fairfield Township, was born there in 1807. His parents were John VINNEDGE and Rosanna MOORE. The former was engaged in the Indian Wars of the Northwest, and was married in this neighborhood, which was then a portion of Hamilton County. He settled on VANCLEAF (Van Cleaf) place, where he lived for over fifty years. His son, Moore P. VINNEDGE, was married in June 1833 to Nancy KIRK and had by her ten children, eight of whom are still living, five daughters and three sons. He resided upon one farm for forty-seven years, dying September 22, 1882. He was at the time of his death the oldest native resident of the township.
S. B. DEAM, of Collinsville, was born in Jackson Township, Montgomery County, Ohio, September 7, 1845. He is the son of Charles DEAM, a native of Philadelphia, and Nancy BACHMAN, of Berks County, Pennsylvania, and both of German descent. He attended the district schools of Jackson Township and the Lebanon Normal School, in Warren County. He was a teacher in the public schools of Mud Lick, Butlerville, Socialville, Westchester and Wakefield, in the period between 1865 and 1874. In the winters of 1874 and 1875 he traveled through the states of Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. From 1876 to 1882 he taught school in Milford Township, with great success. He has been a justice of the peace from April 1880 to April 1882. He is now the freight and ticket agent of the Cincinnati, Richmond and Chicago Railroad at Collinsville. He was married on the 12th of November 1874 to Edna J. PATCHELL, daughter of James PATCHELL of Union Township. They have three children-Ona , Howard and Warren.
Louis B DELACOURT, editor and proprietor of the National Zeitung, and son of Charles A. W. and Seraphine (HAACKE) DELACOURT, was born at Colmar, France, January 25, 1830. He is of mixed German and French descent. The family of DELACOURT, or, to follow the original orthography, de la Cour, is one of ancient French pedigree, and being royalists in politics, its member fled across the Rhine on the breaking out of the French Revolution, and found safety in one of the German states till that terrible, epoch was concluded by the triumphs of Napoleon the First. The parents of Mr. DELACOURT removed to Magdeburg, Saxony, the year following his birth, and he received his education at the renowned polytechnic school of that city, graduating from the department of engineering in 1846.
At the age of seventeen Mr. DELACOURT came to New York and devoted one year to acquiring a perfect knowledge of the English language, after which he engaged in the tobacco trade, dealing principally in imported cigars. In 1850 he removed to Charleston, South Carolina, where he remained five years in the same line of trade as in New York, and during the last year of his residence occupied the editorial chair of the Charleston Zeitung, the first German paper established in the State.
Leaving Charleston in 1855 he engaged in the dry goods trade at New Orleans till the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1862, when he went to Havana, and remained a year, coming in the fall of 1862 to Hamilton, where he soon afterwards established the National Zeitung. A man of nervous temperament and quick perceptions, with varied experience and an education that gave him perfect command of three languages, Mr. DELACOURT was not long in making his paper a power in the community. Being also a good public speaker, he came frequently before the people in the political campaigns, and soon had acquired an acquaintance and an influence second to no country editor in the State. His paper, reaching a large class of native Germans in Butler County and the valley of the Miami who can not read English, has the advantage of appealing to them in their native tongue, and as an organ of the Democratic party has an influence that is very pronounced. Mr. DELACOURT has been a member of the school board for the city of Hamilton for nearly ten consecutive years, and has been instrumental in elevating the tone of the public instruction, and ingrafting some of the most useful features of the German system.
In 1852 Mr. DELACOURT was married to Emily HEINTZ, then of Charleston, South Carolina, but a native of Zweibrucken, Bavaria in which state her brother, Philip HEINTZ, a criminal lawyer of great renown, was a member of the landtag. Mr. DELACOURT has had five children, only three of whom survive, two sons and a daughter: William C.A., Louise Henrietta (now wife of Louis SOHNGEN, Jr.) and Edward H. DELACOURT.
Mrs. Hannah DAVIES was born in Virginia, March 31, 1806 or 1807 and was the daughter of Joseph and Rachel (DUNHAM) KYLE. With her parents she came to Ohio in 1809, settling in Eaton, where her father taught school, arriving in Hamilton in 1810. Mrs. DAVIES was educated at home in Hamilton, and there remained until her marriage in 1830 to David OTT. He died in 1831. He was a successful business man and was engaged in milling.
Mrs. OTT remained a widow for twelve years, but in 1842 was married to Evan DAVIES, a native of Wales, and a school-teacher by calling. He also conducted a farm. He taught in the city schools, was county examiner of schools and principal of schools in the First Ward. He was a successful educator, and was justice of the peace for some time, but resigned the position. He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church and also of the Masonic Order. Mr. DAVIES was the father of one son, David W., now a resident in the state of Texas. He died in 1869, in the sixty-ninth year of his age. Mrs. DAVIES has continued to live in Hamilton. She has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since 1836 and is a genial and pleasant lady.
Daniel DUNWOODY was born in Hanover Township, May 20, 1836, and is the son of Joseph DUNWOODY and Sarah JOHNSON. The father was from Pennsylvania. Daniel attended school and worked on the farm until he attained the age of twenty, when he began learning the carpenter's trade. This has since been his occupation, with the exception of a year in the drug business and one year in the hardware trade. For the last six years he has been on the police force in the city of Hamilton. He was married at Hamilton, on the 18th of November, 1869, to Clara Ann LOVELL, whose maiden name was PILCHER. She was born at Somerset, Hamilton County, November 10, 1840. They have four children. Charles L. was born August 8, 1870 and died March 9, 1851. (transcriber's note: not my typo of birth/death dates) Elmer R. was born May 17, 1873; Bessie E., December 28, 1875, and Carl L., January 31, 1878.
Mr. DUNWOODY's grandfather, Eli JOHNSON, was in the War of 1812. Two brothers, L. R. and Samuel DUNWOODY, were in the Fifth Ohio Cavalry, and one brother-in-law, Isaac L. FISHER, was a member of the Thirty-fifth Regiment. The following is a record of the family: Joseph DUNWOODY was born November 1, 1791; Mrs. DUNWOODY, October 26, 1800, dying in 1875; Eliza, a half-sister, was born March 1, 1816; Joseph, a half-brother, May 22, 1817; Nancy, September 23, 1819; Lavina, September 7, 1821; David, December 23, 1823; Eli, April 2, 1826; Loammi R. July 8, 1829; Robert, October 2, 1833; Daniel, May 20, 1836; and Samuel, August 11, 1839. Those that are living are David, Nancy, Loammi and Daniel.
John DILLON was born in Trenton, Madison township, February 14, 1833. He is the son of Samuel DILLON and Eliza SCHAVIER, both now being dead. His parents came to this county at an early day. His grandfather, Samuel DILLON, was the first coroner every appointed in Butler County. John DILLON was married August 7, 1856, to Martha Jane HULL, daughter of Samuel and Susanna HULL, who are both dead. They came to this county in 1819. Mrs. DILOON was born May 14, 1834. They have had five children. Eliza E. MILLSPAUGH was born June 28, 1857; Mary E., May 27, 1859; Lewis A., April 4, 1866; Martha Jane, December 12, 1864; and Flora May, May 2, 1869. Martha Jane died January 27, 1868.
One of Mr. DILLON's brothers, Samuel P., was in the late war. He was a member of Company D, Thirty-Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was wounded at Chickasaw Bluff, in the right hand. He now draws a pension. He is a resident of Hot Springs, Arkansas, and is a minister of the Gospel of the Presbyterian denomination. Mr. Charles DILLON was originally a farmer, but has been a tile manufacturer for the fourteen years, in which he has excellent facilities. He usually manufactures about one hundred twenty-five thousand per year, finding ready sale for all he can make.
Mrs. Eve DAVIS was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, February 5, 1804, and is the daughter of Adam and Mary MILLER. She had limited opportunities for education, and came to Ohio with her parents in September 1816, settling on a place some three miles from Hamilton, on the Springdale Pike. Adam MILLER was an early settler. He reared a family of eleven children, of whom but three survive, Mrs. DAVIS, Mrs. THOMPSON, and Mrs. Catherine DUKE. He died August 27, 1819. Mrs. MILLER lived until 1862, and was hen in her eighty-seventh year. Eve MILLER was married February 11, 1844, to James DAVIS, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1798, and came to Ohio at an early day. He was a farmer by occupation, and owned a farm on the Middletown Pike, living there the remainder of his live. He was an active member of the Methodist Church. He died July 19, 1840. Mrs. DAVIS continued to live on the farm for six years, when she sold the place, and purchased another near Somerville. She was there four years, and then bought a farm near her old home on the Springdale Pike. She was engaged in farming all of these years, and in 1866 came to Hamilton, where she has since lived. She has built and sold four houses since coming to this place, and is now erecting a handsome residence on Second Street, which she intends to occupy. She has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1832.
Godfrey DOELLER, druggist was born in Cincinnati in 1851. He is the son of August and Mary V. DOELLER, natives of Germany. The father was out with the three month's men.
Vincent D. COHEE, son of Vincent D. COHEE and Rebecca MOORE, was born near Hamilton, February 15, 1825. Mr. COHEE, Sen., was born January 8, 1781, in the State of Delaware, and removed here in 1811. Mrs. COHEE was born May 14, 1786. He died in 1868, and she about 1854. They reared a family of ten children, six of whom are still living. Mr. COHEE was in the War of 1812, and the muster roll of his company is still preserved in the family, as also a government note calling for four hundred dollars. It is now (1881) just one hundred years old, having been issued in 1781. The present Mr. COHEE has been a resident of Butler County for over fifty-five years, following farming until eighteen years of age, and since then being a carpenter and cabinetmaker. The remainder of his family now reside in the State of Indiana, excepting one sister, the widow of the late Charles SPRAGUE, who lives with him in Hamilton.
James DAUGHERTY was born in Berkeley County, Virginia, near Martinsburg, on September 14, 1814. He came with his parent to Ohio in 1817, and settled in Deerfield Township, Warren County, in 1817. He received his education in the common schools, and was brought up to farming until he learned the cooper's trade. In 1839 he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Zina DOTY, a former well-known resident of Butler County. She was born in this county in 1817. Mr. and Mrs. DAUGHERTY are parents of eight children, of whom six are living. Aquilla J. was formerly a well-known newspaper man. He was connected with the Cincinnati Enquirer and Gasette, and was with the Louisville Courtier-Journal four years. He is now general western agent of the Erie and North Shore Railroad, at Keokuk, Iowa. He is a graduate of Miami University. Lissa is now assistant teacher in the high school in Hamilton, and has been engaged in that calling since 1861. In that time she has never lost but one week, which was when her mother died. Sallie V. and Jennie E. are at home. James N. is a resident of the State of Illinois. Annie B. is a music teacher by profession. Mrs. DAUGHERTY died December 10, 1871.
Mr. DAUGHTERY came to Hamilton in 1847, conducting the coopering business for some years, and employing fifteen or sixteen hands. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1851, holding that position for seven years. He was mayor in1852, being re-elected, for three terms. In 1857 he was elected auditor of Butler County, He represented his ward in the school board in 1858, and was active in educational matters. The family are member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
John DECHER was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, in Germany, May 20, 1835, and is younger son of Yost and Elizabeth DECHER. He was instructed in the public schools in Germany, and when fifteen began an apprenticeship at the trade of shoemaking, but while doing so, on the 4th of July, 1852, he came to America. He worked in Buffalo, and also in Canada, as a journeyman. In 1857 Mr. DECHER came to Hamilton, where he located and was employed here by Isaac WHISTLER, till September 13, 1861, when he enlisted in the Seventeenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, being in the battles of Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, Yazoo Pass, and at the siege of Vicksburg. After the surrender of Vicksburg, he was attacked with typhoid fever, and was an inmate of the hospital for eight months. Upon recovering he was transferred to the Veterans Reserve Corps, and was on duty in Virginia for a short time, being then transferred to Elmira, New York, acting as a guard until the conclusion of his term of servicee, December 18, 1864.
He resumed his former situation with Mr. WHISTLER, and upon the death of the latter, in 1867 or 1868, he began business for himself, at which he has since continued. He is now at 112 Third Street, where he does a good business in custom work, besides having a well assorted stock on hand of ready-made goods. He was married in 1859, to Miss Kate VINSON, and is the father of seven children. Frederick R. is a shoemaker by trade, and a resident of Kansas. Carrie is the wife of Sidney SNIDER. George A. is a machinist, and the other are Lizzie, John, Lulu and Sophia. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and also of the Temple of Honor and in politics is a Republican.
The Rev. Truman S. COWDEN was born in Gustavus, Trumbull County, May 11, 1827. He is the son of James D. and Diantha C. (OSTRANDER) COWDEN. He attended the common schools of neighborhood till 1839, when the family removed to Gallipolis. He went to school there for some four years, graduating in 1845 or 1846. His youth was passed in acquiring an education, and he had decided to adopt the medical profession, but, while reading medicine, he received a license as an exhorter in the Methodist Episcopal Church. This had been entirely unknown and unexpected to him. Three months later he received a license to preach, and a recommendation to conference as a suitable person to preach the Gospel. The presiding elder of the district, Mr. FREE, with much persuasion finally prevailed on Mr. COWDEN to do so. His first work was as an assistant preacher on Jackson Circuit, upon which he had twenty-four appointments. The emoluments of his first year were sixty-one dollars.
He entered the Cincinnati Conference in 1852, since which he has labored three years as pastor at Asbury Chapel, Cincinnati; three years at Eaton, coming to Hamilton in the fall of 1880. Since his arrival here the Methodist Church has shown a material increase in membership, and the two years have been full of spiritual and financial success.
Mr. COWDEN was married in 1851 to Miss Romain RATHBURN, daughter of Dr. RATHBURN, a former well-known physician of Jackson Court-house. They are the parents of four children, three of whom, daughters are living. Their eldest child, Edgar H., died in 1877, in his twenty-first year. Mr. COWDEN is a member of the Masonic Order. While these sheets were passing through the press, Mr. COWDEN was made a presiding elder, and has entered upon his duties.
Alfred COMPTON was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, July 16, 1833, being the son of Abraham and Abigail (PHILLIPS) COMPTON, the former of whom is still living on the farm where he settled in the woods, in Springfield, Hamilton County. He is now in his eighty-first year. He raised a family of five daughters and five sons, of whom three daughters and three sons survive. Alfred was educated in the common schools in that township, and was brought up to farming until he was sixteen, when he began an apprenticeship of three years at the trade of carpenter in Hamilton. Upon completion of his term he worked as a journeyman. In 1853 he went to Iowa, where he carried on building and contracting for some three years.
In 1854 he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Jane LUCKEY. They are parents of seven children, of whom four are living-Lester K., Thomas L., John A. and Francis M. Mr. COMPTON and family are members of the Christian Church. After marriage he remained in Iowa until returning to Ohio in 1863, when he located at Symmes's Corner. He came to Hamilton in 1872, and organized the firm of COMPTON & Brother, builders and contractors. That continued till 1875, when he began the lumber business on the corner of Second and Sycamore Streets.
David D. CONOVER was born in Dayton, Ohio November 1, 1818 and is the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (DEARDORFF) CONOVER. The father was a native of New Brunswick, New Jersey and came to Ohio in 1802. He first settled in what is now Lemon Township, two miles south of Middletown, afterward removing to Dayton, where he married and remained till 1822. Returning to Butler County, he located at Monroe, where he spent the remainder of his days. He was engaged in mercantile business in which he was successful, and reared a family of five children, of whom three survive. Thomas J. is a resident of Monroe, and Caroline is the wife of D. Y. WINTERSTEEN, of Indiana. He died in 1832. David D. CONOVER went to the common schools, but improved his education in later years. When sixteen he was thrown upon his own resources and began an apprenticeship of four years at wagon making. Upon completing his term, in 1839 he married Mary, daughter of Dr. Daniel MILLIKIN. To this marriage were born two children, of whom one survives, Marietta, wife of Joseph RODEFER, of Hamilton.. Mrs. CONOVER died in August 1844. After marriage he removed to Hamilton, and in 1840 engaged in wagon making. He continued in that till 1846, when he confined his attention to spring carriages, at which he remained until 1852. He was then in the grocery trade, on High Street, some two years and was also in the livery business for two years. He was in Rock Island, Illinois, in the saw manufacture until 1859. He was then appointed general agent of the Butler County Insurance Company, and on the outbreak of the Rebellion became the commissary for supplying the recruits with provision. Afterward he was with Job E. OWENS, engaged in the purchase of forage for the government and supply of the camp in Hamilton, till the close of the war. He has been engaged in raising broom-corn and also devotes attention to collections and real estate.
In 1847 he was married to Mary EASTON and had by her three children. Ellen is the wife of John GOODMAN and Lizzie is the wife of William LONG and is a resident of Toledo, Ohio. Mrs. CONOVER died in 1853, and in 1866 he was married to Miss Mary CORRIELL, his present wife. He was appointed deputy United States Marshall in 1861, and held the place until his resignation about 1867. He was reappointed in 1878, and is still filling that position. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. He has been a member of the Odd Fellows since 1850.
Charles M. CAMPBELL, editor and proprietor of the Daily News and of the Hamilton Telegraph, was born in Middletown, Guernsey County, Ohio, January 1, 1852. He is the son of Dr. James CAMPBELL, an eminent physician, who enjoyed a large practice and Susan BROWN. His father died in 1852 and his mother in 1882. C. M. CAMPBELL was educated in the common schools in his native place and afterwards went to Cornell University, Ithaca, New York and to the University of Wooster in Ohio. He learned the trade of printer and was engaged as a partner in the publication of the Cambridge (Ohio) News and the Washington (Pennsylvania) Observer. During the centennial year he was at Washington, D. C. representing a St. Louis daily. In December 1879 he purchased the Hamilton Telegraph and on the 22d of the same month began issuing the Hamilton Daily News, which has been a great success and at this writing issues about two thousand copies a day. Mr. CAMPBELL was married to Miss Pauline STRAUB in Hamilton on the 2d of December, 1881. Since being in this city, he has acquired an excellent knowledge of the politics and social matters of the place, and has made his journal as necessity in every family.
Jonathan CROWLEY was born in Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, about seven miles from Pittsburg, April 26, 1812. His parents were Jeremiah and Johanna (THOMAS) CROWLEY. They were both natives of Pennsylvania and of Irish extraction. When Jonathan was three years old the family removed from to Pittsburg, where he attended school. In 1827 he removed to Cincinnati and began learning the cabinet business. Two years later his father died and six years subsequent to his death his mother also depart this life. Mr. CROWLEY remained in Cincinnati in the fall of 1831, when he went to St. Louis, returning in 1832, during the cholera years. He remained in that city until July 1833, when he removed to Milford Township, in this county.
In 1838 he purchased the establishment owned by his employer and in connection with cabinet-making made undertaking a special feature. In 1865 he sold his property and came to this city. He has followed undertaking all this time, forth-eight years. He became a member of the Presbyterian Church in 1832 and for twenty years, while living in Union Township was a ruling elder. He is a member of the Blue Lodge of Masons, and has taken all the subordinate degrees in the Odd Fellows. He was married July 3, 1834 to Miss Marilla PERRY, who was born in Somerville and was the daughter of Daniel PERRY. Thirteen children have been born to them, eight of whom survive. Lorella is the wife of Martin SEWARD; Emma is married to George W. DYE; and Ella is the wife of Abram ALLEN; Marietta, Clara A., Laura, George T. and Charles L. are still unmarried and live at home.
George HOFFMAN, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1813, was married in 1841 in Pennsylvania to Mary Barbara DINGFELDER, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1819. He had nine children, of whom six are living. Elizabeth is the wife of George HACK; George L. is married, Barbara is the wife of Joseph MALSON, and the others are Louisa, Mary A. and Anna E. He emigrated from Germany to the United States in 1837 and his wife came in 1840. Both settled in Pennsylvania, where they married in Pittsburg and came to Ohio in 1843, settling in Fairfield Township. He purchased one hundred acres from John LINDOVER and went to farming, which he has followed ever since. AT present he owns three hundred acres and farms about one hundred, renting the rest. One of his sons was drafted in the late war and sent a substitute. He and his wife are members of the German Lutheran Church.
Abraham HUSTON was born in Greene County, Ohio in 1804 and was married the first time in 1829 to Elizabeth HALL, born in Butler County in 1810, who died in 1845 leaving six children. Mary Ann is the wife of Thomas K. VINNEDGE; Sarah Jane is at home; William H. is married, and lives in Champaign County; Susan E. is at home; David B. is married; Luther P. is married and lives in Hamilton. He married in 1854 the second time. His wife was Jane BELL, widow of James SMITH, born in Dumfries, Scotland in 1828. They have five children: Abraham H., Maggie B., Edwin M. and Cora I. Mr. HUSTON came to Butler County in 1832 and settled in Fairfield Township, on the William HULL farm. He mother's uncle, James FLYNN, had command of a company of rangers in the War of 1812 and two of his brothers, Abraham and James BARNET, were also in the War of 1812. His son, Luther P., was in the late war, in the Sixty-ninth Regiment. He enlisted in 1861 and was discharged at Nashville on account of sickness. He afterwards re-enlisted for a hundred days. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and is an elder. Mrs. HUSTON had by her first marriage two children James. E. SMITH and Mrs. JONES.
David SHEPHERD was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, September 25, 1802 and died October 12, 1876 in Union Township. He was married in Monmouth County, New Jersey in 1835 to Elizabeth ELY, daughter of William ELY AND Rebecca (BAIRD) ELY, who was born in Monmouth County, July 28, 1810. They had four children. James was born September 7, 1826 in Monmouth County and is married, living in Liberty Township; William E. was born December 29, 1838; Mary Ellen, who was born May 1,1844 died when an infant and Charles H. was born July 16, 1846. Mr. SHEPHERD came to Ohio in 1830 overland from New Jersey, bringing his sister and he husband and his own wife and one child, in a wagon, occupying a month of the trip. He settled in Liberty Township, where he remained a month with his brother Peter, then moving to Union, and purchasing fifty acres, which was his first start. He increased his land until he finally owned six hundred and fifty acres, and considerable personal property. His son James was brought here when two years old. He married, June 20, 1867, Laura Ellen BROWN, daughter of Nicholas BROWN and Mary Ann WALLER. She was born April 16, 1845, in Liberty Township. He owns and farms one hundred and twenty acres in Liberty, and also has eighty acres in Union, which he rents out.
Alexander GETZ, the county recorder, was born on the ship Havre at sea, December 21, 1846. He is the son of January GETZ, an influential citizen of this town, who was born in Baden, Germany, and Rosina GETZ from the same place. The mother died October 16, 1881. The son received his education at St. Stephen's Catholic School, in Hamilton, and became a clerk in a dry goods and grocery store, at the age of fourteen. He went into business for himself at the age of nineteen, at which he remained for eight years. He then sold out, and again became a salesman. He was elected recorder in October 1878, and was re-elected in 1881. He is a member of the St. Antonius Orphan Socitey. The St. Paul Benevolent Society and the Catholic Knights of America, Branch 106. He is a Democrat in politics and is a member of St. Stephen's Catholic Church. He was married April 13, 1869. His wife's name was Catherine BECK. She was the daughter of Charles BECK, Sen. Mr. and Mrs. GETZ have had five children-Charles Alexander , January John, Lorenz Jacob, Catherine Theressa and Henry Edward.
William S. GIFFEN was born in Hamilton, April 8, 1851 and is the son of Stephen E. and Rachel (CRANE) GIFFEN. He attended the public schools in this city and graduated in 1867, when he entered the Miami university. He remained there for four years, and was graduated in 1871. He read law in the office of James. E. CAMPBELL for two years, during which period he was a student at the Cincinnati Law School. He graduated there in 1880, and was admitted to the bar the same the same year, immediately beginning the practice of law in Hamilton.
Jacob GALLOWAY, one of the old residents of the west side of town, is the son of Enoch GALLOWAY and Rachel MORRIS, who came to this county in 1807. He was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, on the 2d of October, 1800. His father served in the War of 1812, as did also his brother William. At any early day Mr. GALLOWAY learned the trade of blacksmith and gunsmith, and followed this trade from 1815 to 1830, when he purchased a farm, since having been a farmer. He was married December 30, 1824, in Hanover Township, to Sarah BROSIUS, daughter of George Daniel BROSIUS and Elizabeth YAGER, who was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, March 31, 1804. They had nine children. Preston R. was born December 29, 1825; Daniel, on the 21st of May, 1827; Jackson, November 15, 1828; William, March 7, 1831; John, December 11, 1832; Elizabeth, March 7, 1836; Henry, March 23, 1838; Catherine, April 2, 1840; and Wilson S., December 21, 1842. Jackson died May 11, 1875; William, September 10, 1841; Henry, June 30, 1841; and Wilson S., February 21, 1877. The oldest son, Preston R., was a captain in the late war. Mr. GALLOWAY has seven great-grandchildren.
John GILMORE was born in Springdale, Hamilton County February 17, 1833. His parents were W. S. and Jane (BRADEN) GILMORE. He came to Butler County with his parents about 1840, and completed his education in Fairfield Township. He was at home till his marriage, November 5, 1853 to Jennie H., daughter of James HARDIN. They are the parents of seven children, of whom six are living, four daughters and two sons. They are as follows: Anna, Ida, Clifford, Charles W., Estella and Nellie. Clifford is a resident of Iowa, engaged in cabinet making and undertaking, and Charles W. is a clerk in Captain TRAVIS's grocery. After marriage he conducted a farm in Fairfield Township some years, engaging in the nursery and fruit business in a successful manner. He came to Hamilton soon after, and has been settled here ever since, with the exception of one year, when he resided in Indiana. He deals extensively in real estate, buying, selling and exchanging farms and city property. He now owns several farms. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since his marriage. He is a stockholder in the Hamilton and Tylersville Pike, of which he was treasurer for many years, and owning one-third of the stock. His second daughter, Ida, has been a teacher in the schools of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Mr. GILMORE resides on Ludlow Street, adjoining the Methodist Episcopal parsonage, where he has a pleasant home. He has had the advantage of foreign travel, as he has made a trip to the Old World, and seen many strange things in Paris and Edinburgh. He went across the ocean with Elbert MARSHALL, and on returning, took charge of his father's business. On his way over he made the acquaintance of a genial Scotchman, James BROWN, who bought some property at his suggestion.
Frank HAMMERLE was born in Bavaria, on Good Friday, 1838, being the son of Johannes and Elizabeth HAMMERLE, who both died in Germany. Frank came to this country in 1862, and was married October 15, 1863 to Katherine MEYER, daughter of Henry Michael and Eva MEYER, who came to this country about 1836. She was born in Hamilton, October 7, 1842. They have had four children. Henry was born December 25, 1865; Frank in 1868; Louisa, in April 1874; and Fred, in September 1878. Mr. HAMMERLE was township trustee from 1872 to 1876, in St. Clair Township, and has been a member of the board of education since 1878 and the treasurer since 1880. He is a gunsmith by trade. Besides his town lots, he owns a farm in Morgan Township.
William R. EIBER was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, February 28, 1852 and was educated in the common schools. When fourteen, he began an apprenticeship at shoemaking, in Cleveland, where he worked as a journeyman some ten or twelve years, and came to Hamilton November 25, 1872. Here he worked for John WEIDENBORNER some five years, but in the spring of 1879 organized the Miami Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Company, composed of Mr. EIBER, W. H. HURM, and Henry BREIDE. It now employs from twenty-five to thirty hands, making ladies' fine work a specialty. Mr. EIBER was married in 1874, to Miss L. JANSER, and is the father of one daughter and one son, Hattie and Charles H. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Odd Fellows.
Ira Rensselaer EDWARDS, of Jones's Station, was born in Warren County October 17, 1820. His parents were Uzel EDWARDS and Mary CRANE, the former of whom died January 12, 1832, and the latter January 14, 1874. They came to this county in May 1805 from New Jersey. He was married May 30, 1847, near Princeton, to Margaret DAVISON, daughter of George DAVISON and Elizabeth BEADLE. Mr. DAVISON died in December 1858, and his wife in March 1850. They came to this county in March 1841 from Warren County. Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS have three children. Floretta was born July 13, 1848; Mary E. KIRK, February 1, 1859; and Phebe Jane, March 26, 1861. Mr. EDWARDS has been a member of the board of education for about twenty years; two years he was township clerk; and two years township treasurer. His grandfather, Moses EDWARDS, was in the Revolutionary War.
Michael F. EISLE was born in the year 1808, and came to this country in the year 1839. He was the son of George and Mary EISLE. He was married to Mary BROOK, and had one son, Charles Y. EISLE. The son was drafted into the army, but procured a substitute on account of pressure of business. Mr. EISLE has been a contractor and builder.
Granville M. FLENNER was born in Liberty Township, June 29, 1843. He is the son of John FLENNER and Mary Jane PEAKE, who were natives of this county. He was married on the 29th of November 1865, in Hamilton, to Ann P. RUST, who was born June 10, 1844, at West Cornwall, Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. FLENNER have had five children-Edith M., John R., Granville M., Carrie, and Merle D'A. Mr. FLENNER is now in the ice business, but was for eighteen years engaged in hardware. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he was superintendent of its Sunday school for seven years. He was out in the Ninety-third Ohio in the war, for two years and a half. He was wounded at Chickamauga, and was in the battles of Stone River, Liberty Gap, and Ashville.
William Christian FRECHTLING was born in Hanover, Germany, May19, 1837. He came to this county in 1855. His parents were Christian and Dorothea (GAHRE) FRECHTLING. He was married August 12, 1865, in Louisville, Kentucky, to Mary M. FREIS, daughter of Louis FREIS and Margaret FREIS. They have four children. Cora was born in 1870, Edward in 1873, Camilla in 1875 and Wilhelm in 1878. Mr. FRECHTLING went into business in May 1858, on the northeast corner of High and Second Streets, where he still continues. The beginning was in one room, sixty by twenty, but the business has been enlarged time to time until now two rooms, fronting on High Street, are occupied. One, twenty by eighty, is for dry goods, and one, twenty by ninety-two, is for groceries. There is also an L room, eighteen by forty, fronting on Second Street, used for groceries. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Joseph A. FROMM was born in this city, November 16, 1840, and is the oldest living son of Sebastian and Mary Ann (BRUNNER) FROMM. The former was born in Wirtemberg, Germany, in 1782, and was a cabinet-maker by trade. He came to American in 1817, first locating in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he remained some ten years. In 1827 he came to Hamilton, and engaged in selling German clocks through this country. His two sons, Joseph A. and John A. are the only survivors of his family. He was active in raising funds to build the original St. Stephen's Catholic Church. His son, Austin S., with his wife and children, were blown up on the Moselle, losing their lives. Sebastian FROMM died December 22, 1859, and his wife died August 16, 1878, in her seventy-seventh year. Joseph A. FROMM was educated in the Catholic and public schools in Hamilton, and was employed in various mercantile houses, till beginning business in April 1875 as a butcher. He soon after took his brother, John E., as partner, the firm being J. A. FROMM & Brother. They are doing an extensive business at 115 Main Street, First Ward.
Mr. FROMM married Miss Emma J. METCALF. They are the parents of three children, whose names are Austin s. Dora Josephine, and Gertrude Iona. He was an appraiser of real estate one year. In 1881 he was elected to the city council from the First Ward, he is a Knight of Pythias. John A. FROMM, his brother, enlisted in April 1861, in the Third Ohio, and was discharged for disability after nine months. He then re-enlisted, in the Ninety-third, and was at Murfreesboro and Perrysville, and took part in all the battles of the regiment. He was placed on detached duty, and served till the end of the war. He was mustered out at Plattsburg, New York, in the summer of 1865. Sebastian FROMM, the father, was the first Catholic who resided regularly in Hamilton, and the first member of the Church here.
Dr. Anderson Nelson ELLIS is of the well-known family of that name, of Adams and Brown Counties, Ohio, and Mason and Lewis Counties in Kentucky. He is the son of the late Washington ELLIS of Sprigg Township, Adams County, and was born at the old family homestead at Ellis Landing, on the Ohio River, four miles above Maysville, Kentucky, on the 19th of December 1840. Washington ELLIS was the son of Jermiah ELLIS, who was the son of Nathan ELLIS, who was the son of Colonel James ELLIS, of the Continental Army. The family is of Welsh extraction, and has been in America one hundred and fifty years. In 1730 three of the ELLIS brothers emigrated from the mountains of their native land and south home in the English colonies on the western side of the Atlantic, one of whom settled in Boston, Massachusetts, one in Richmond, Virginia, and one in Eastern Pennsylvania. Religiously the ELLISES were Quakers of the strictest kind, and were associated with the colonial history of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian Wars, and later in the Revolutionary struggle, several of the name holding important commands in the Continental Army.