Pages 388 - 392

History of Butler County: Hamilton, Ohio

Next page | Butler County Ohio | Cyclopeadia index page | Previous page

M. N. MAGGINNIS was born near Frederick City, Maryland. He read law in the office of Governor John W. STEVENSON, of Kentucky, and with Judge James CLARK, of Hamilton, Ohio. He was admitted to practice at Hamilton in 1861. Believing that the States were voluntarily united under the powers vested by the Constitution in the government of the United States, he, while deprecating the resort to peaceable secession as the rational process for resuming powers which the seceding States claimed had been perverted from their purpose, was opposed to armed invasion of them and their coercion to an involuntary union, as destructive of the American system of government by consent; as a renunciation of the opinions avowed in the Declaration of Independence and acted on by the colonies, and as a return to the practice of organizing the people for government instead of organizing government for the people. He was noted throughout the conflict for the courage and ability with which he expressed his convictions, and was respected by those with whom he differed for the unselfish advocacy of his opinions.

The law-abiding people of Hamilton had for a long time been terrorized by the criminal classes. To end the infamous and dangerous domination, the citizens, without distinction party, elected Mr. MAGINNIS mayor. He served from 1871 to 1873. The reappearance of the disorderly element during the subsequent term led to his re-election in the same manner. During his second term, from 1875 to 1877, he procured the passage of an ordinance establishing a police force. This body, which he appointed, disciplined, and supervised, thoroughly suppressed the criminal and disorderly classes of the city. At the close of his second term, Mr. MAGINNIS returned to his profession, in which he is still engaged.

Joseph MAYER was born in Wirtemberg, Germany, September 7, 1846, being the oldest son of Anton and Catherine (MAILE) MAYER. He attended the public schools in Germany, and was brought up to farming. He came to America in 1866, making his first place of sojourn Hamilton. Here he worked as a farmer for three years. In the employment of Louis SOHNGEN and Peter SCHWAB & Co. he spent five years. In 1876 he organized the firm of Schneider & Mayer, in coal, wood, and salt. This lasted three years, when he sold out to Mr. SCHNEIDER in 1879. Mr. MAYER began business in his present location, dealing in coal and wood, at the corner of Second and Sycamore Streets, soon after.

He was married on the 17th of May, 1870, to Miss Louisa W. HILLER. Mr. and Mrs. MAYER are the parents of seven children, of whom one is dead. Four sons and two daughters are living. Mrs. MAYER is a member of the Lutheran Church, and her husband belongs to the Odd Fellows, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the United German Society. The names of their children are Edward C., Catherine J. E., Emma Maggie, John F., Joseph, and George F.

Charles E. MCBETH was born in Champaign County, Ohio, February 7, 1835, and is the oldest son of James and N. B. McBETH. He attended the common schools in his native county, then beginning to learn the machinist’s trade at Urbana when seventeen years old. He continued there and in Eastern cities, working as a journeyman, until coming to Hamilton, in the Fall of 1860, with Lee & Leavitt. He built circular saws and steam engines for them by contract for some years, until they discontinued business. He purchased the greater portion of it, and during the war conducted it under the firm name of McBeth & McClung, manufacturing wood-working machinery. They sold out to Bentel, Margedant & Co. in 1874. He then became a member of the firm of Long, Alstetter & Co., now a stock company, known as the Long & Alstetter Co., and has been its secretary and treasurer ever since. They are manufacturers of agricultural implements, power punches, and hammers. They employ about one hundred and fifty hands. Mr. McBETH was married on the 1st of June, 1864, to Miss Lizzie HUNTER, daughter of William HUNTER. They have two daughters, Mary M. and Anna. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Abram MILLER was born in Hamilton County, February 28, 1828, and was the oldest child of Matthias and Elizabeth (GORMAN) MILLER. He was educated in the common schools of Hamilton County, and was brought up to mercantile pursuits in his father’s store until he was eighteen. He then learned the trade of saddler, and worked as a journeyman for some time. He also learned carriage making. He came to Hamilton about 1856, when he entered the firm of Miller, Gary & Co., carriage manufacturers. The firm existed till-1860. About 1863 he entered the employment of John CRAWFORD, in house furnishing goods, staying two or three years. He was also with H. H. WALLACE for two years. In 1870 he bought the interest of Henry LIBBY, then a partner of Robert BECKETT, forming the firm of Beckett & Miller. This lasted till 1874, a period of four years. At that time he purchased the interest of Mr. BECKETT, since which he has continued the business himself. He is an extensive dealer in house furnishing goods, glass, crockery, queensware, window shades, etc. He also does a large business in carpets. He owns the building.

Mr. MILLER was married in 1856, to Lile Jane, daughter of Mark C. MCMAKEN. They are the parents of one daughter, Nettie, now the wife of Captain George W. WILSON, of Hamilton. Mr. MILLER is a member of the Christian Church, and Mrs. MILLER of the United Presbyterian. Mr. MILLER has been a member of the Odd Fellows since 1854. During the war he rendered valuable aid to the Sanitary Commission.

Thomas MCGREEVY was born in Hamilton, Butler County, December 9, 1849, being a younger son of Conner and Jane (MERON) McGREEVY. He improved his educational opportunities in the public schools in Hamilton, receiving an ordinary education. At seventeen he commenced an apprenticeship of three and a half years at the trade of blacksmithing. After acquiring the trade he worked as a journeyman in Hamilton some four or five years. He was appointed a member of the original police force of Hamilton about 1876, and served one year in that capacity, and then was employed for a year at his trade. In the Spring of 1876, Mr. McGREEVY began business in his present location. He was elected a member of the City Council from the Fourth Ward in the Spring of 1876, and was re-elected in 1878 and again in 1880. He was vice-president for some four years, and president pro tem. for some time. He is a member of the Roman Catholic Church and of various benevolent societies.

John MOEBUS was born in Rossville, in this county, March 6, 1840. His parents were John MOEBUS and Catherine (STROH) MOEBUS, the father being a native of Germany. He came to Hamilton about 1838, and reared a family of four children, of whom three are living. He died about 1855, but his wife, Mrs. Catherine MOEBUS, is still in Hamilton, being vigorous in mind and body. John MOEBUS was educated in the common schools of Hamilton, and when fourteen became an apprentice to the tinner’s trade in this place, and worked as a journeyman in Hamilton and elsewhere till 1861, when he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Ohio, and was with that regiment during its various conflicts. He was at Carnifax Ferry and took part in the campaign in West Virginia, and was in the battles at Lewisburg, Virginia, and Charleston, Virginia. He was sent to Louisiana, and took part in the siege of Vicksburg, and was afterwards at Jackson, Mississippi. They went to Atlanta by way of Chattanooga, when he was one of the first to cross the Tennessee River and take part in the battle. After being at Chattanooga he was at Dalton and through the Atlanta campaign, during this having many engagements. In this campaign he was, with some seventeen hundred men, made a prisoner, and taken to Andersonville. He escaped after some four months, but was recaptured eight days after. He and his comrade were tracked by bloodhounds. They were then taken to Macon, as Andersonville had been abandoned on the approach of General SHERMAN. From Macon they were sent to Florence, South Carolina, where they were held three and a half months, or till the close of the war. When first captured his term of service had nearly expired, or was within twenty-two days.

He was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, June 20, 1865. He returned to Hamilton, and went to work as a journeyman. In October, 1865, he was married to Margaret EIDER, and had by her five children, three sons and two daughters. His wife died in 1875, and he was again married in 1878 to Kate BEAL. They have one daughter and one son. In 1869 Mr. MOEBUS began business in his present location, in stoves, tin, japanned and britannia ware, and in guttering, spouting, and roofing. He now does a large business, but began in a small way. He is a member of Zion Lutheran Church.

Henry NEIDERAUER was born in Bavaria, Germany, November, 1837, being the second son of David and Margaret (CARREL) NEIDERAUER. He attended such schools as existed in the neighborhood of his father’s home until he was fourteen, being brought up to farming. He came to America in 1856, taking up his residence in Hamilton immediately. He served an apprenticeship of two years at the trade of carriage-maker, with Pfafflin, Keller & Co., in this place, and after acquiring his trade worked as a journeyman in Cincinnati for eight months, and Richmond, Indiana, for a year and a half. He returned to Hamilton, being again in the employment of Pfafflin, Keller & Co., and afterward was in various cities of the United States.

In 1862 Mr. NEIDERAUER began the wagon-making business in Hamilton, in the First Ward, doing a successful trade. In 1867 he removed his business to the east side, and continued there until 1872, when he entered into partnership with John DONGES, under the firm name of John Donges & Co. Mr. NEIDERAUER has been married three times—first, in 1861, to Margaret IRVING, who died in November, 1866; and again, in 1871, to Katie KEELER, who died in 1874. The present Mrs. NEIDERAUER, to whom he was united in marriage March 29, 1875, is the daughter of William HUBER, of Cincinnati. She was the widow of John GANZ, and the mother of two sons. To Mrs. and Mr. NEIDERAUER have been born two children, one of whom, Ida Sibylla Flora, who was born December 28, 1875, survives. Mr. and Mrs. NEIDERAUER are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum.

Linus Russell MARSHALL, professor of music, was born at Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, March 23, 1825. He is the son of Samuel MARSHALL and Emma KELLOGG. The father was a Baptist minister, who was a chaplain in Colonel MOODY’s regiment, the Seventy-fourth Ohio, and died in 1872. His son was educated in the common schools and at an academy in New York State, and at the age of nineteen left home for Tennessee, where two brothers were engaged in teaching. He studied with one of them, who had charge of an academy in Wilson County, and also taught part of the time. In 1849 he took charge of a select school in Clarksville, teaching one year. He married Sarah A. MCFALL, of that place, on the 24th of January, 1850. He went to Russellville, Kentucky, and Logan County, teaching literature and music. He was professor of music in the Female Institute of Russellville for three years, till 1858. In the same Summer he came to Ohio and engaged in teaching.

In 1862 he enlisted for three months in the Eighty-fifth Ohio, and re-enlisted October 16, 1862, in the Eighty-eighth. They were kept at Camp Chase to do guard duty. In July, 1863, he was promoted to second lieutenant, and in 1865 to the first lieutenancy. For a time he was detailed as the discharge officer of the northern department at Columbus, and afterward was in Cincinnati as a member of General Hooker’s staff. He returned to Warren County at the conclusion of the war, where he taught till 1879. For seven years he was a special teacher of music in Lebanon, Ohio, and three years in the Holbrook Normal School of that place. In 1879 he was appointed special teacher of music in the Hamilton city schools, where he has since remained. At Lebanon he was the leader of the Lebanon Musical Society, which took part in the Musical Festival in Cincinnati in 1873, the first entertainment of that kind. Three of Mr. MARSHALL’s children died young. One, Samuel H., born January 14, 1852, is a photographer. He was married in Florida, where he has spent about two years. Mr. MARSHALL has been a Mason since 1854, and a Knight Templar since 1877. He is a member of the Miami Commandery of Lebanon, No. 52, and of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the Golden Rule in Hamilton. Mrs. MARSHALL’s father was Major Samuel McFALL, who was out in the War of 1812, and was several times mayor of Clarksville. He was a prominent man.

William H. LOUTHAN was born in this city November 14, 1846, being the son of George W. and Mary Ann (DEVOU) LOUTHAN. George W. LOUTHAN was born in Virginia about 1806, and came to Ohio about 1825, settling in Hamilton, in building and contracting. He married a daughter of Frederick and Mary Ann DEVOU, a family that were among the pioneers of the county. They reared a family of five children, all living. He served as city marshal for some time. His death occurred in October, 1866. His wife, now Mrs. CLAWSON, is still living, as also is her mother, Mrs. Mary DEVOU, who is in the ninety-fourth year of her age.

William H. LOUTHAN was educated in the public schools of Hamilton till 1814, when he worked at broom-making, for a time conducting the business in connection with his brother-in-law, James E. HANCOCK. He carried on a livery business for some four or five years. In December, 1879, he began the grocery trade, in his present location, which has increased to large proportions. He was married, October, 1870, to Miss Alice, daughter of Jacob LINDLEY. They are the parents of four daughters—Mabel, Jessie, Alice, and Edith. Mrs. LOUTHAN is a member of the Christian Church, and Mr. LOUTHAN is a member of the Knights of Pythias. In 1864 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixty-seventh Ohio National Guards, and participated in the West Virginia campaign.

John H. LASHHORN was born in Hamilton, December 29, 1852, his parents being Joseph W. LASHHORN and Hannah STONEBREAKER. He was married, November 4, 1874, to Angeline SHULER, daughter of Asa SHULER and Mary J. SHULER. She was born February 10, 1854. In conjunction with Mr. SHULER, he carries on the nursery business, about a mile east of Hamilton, owning sixty-three acres of land for that purpose. He was brought up a machinist, but in the future expects to devote all his attention to the nursery. He had an uncle in the Revolutionary War.

Alexander PUGH was the first member of this family that came to Ohio. He was born in England, and was married to Hannah STUBBS, a native of Wales, when quite young. He came to this country, with ten of his brothers, all serving in the Revolutionary War. Since that time nothing has been known of the brothers. Alexander PUGH settled in the State of Alabama, after the close of the war, and in 1804 removed to Ohio, settling in Preble County, on the Twin Creek Valley. There he resided for many years, but late in life removed to Indianapolis, where he died. He had five children, only one of whom is living. His name is Jared, and he resided in Montgomery County.

John PUGH was the only one that came to Butler County. He was born in 1797, in Alabama, and moved to Ohio with his father in 1804, while a child. He was married about 1817 to Keziah JONES, born in North Carolina in 1797, by whom he had eight children. Elizabeth, wife of Ezekiel SAMUELS, lives in Seven-Mile; Riley is deceased; Alexander is married, and lives in Eaton; William is married, and lives in Hamilton; John is married, and lives in Wayne Township; Isaac is married, and lives in Preble County; Hannah, wife of John MIKESELL, lives in Preble county; Keziah, wife of James BUSENBARK, lives in Cumminsville, Hamilton County.

Mr. PUGH came to Butler County in 1817, and settled in Wayne Township, on the farm now owned by his son John. He was a self-made man, for, although he received a small farm with his wife, it was all he did get. Two of his children, John and Isaac, were out in the late war. William PUGH, born November 7, 1825, was married December 24, 1851, to Cynthia Ann BOATMAN, born in Butler County, October 24, 1834. They have had three children: Charles Eugene, married, and living in Hamilton, and Carey Riley and Cassius M. Clay.

James S. LEWIS was born September 12, 1819, and died November 23, 1876. He was a native of Warren County, and settled in Butler in 1847. By good management and industry he made for himself and family a good home, leaving his wife and children in good circumstances. His parents were John and Rachel LEWIS. He was married September 5, 1850, to Julia E. JACKSON, who was born in Charlotte County, Virginia, December 20, 1827. She is the daughter of Preston JACKSON and Elizabeth CHEVIOUS. Mr. and Mrs. LEWIS have had five children. Lloyd Augustus, the eldest, was born June 24, 1851, and died March 21, 1852. Julia Elizabeth was born August 31, 1853. Horace St. Clair was born May 24, 1856, and died July 2, 1859. Adelaide Bromly was born December 23, 1859, and died August 2, 1869. John Elsworth was born August 1, 1862. Mr. LEWIS was a farmer.

Jacob LORENZ, president of the Lorenz Refrigerator Car Company, was born in Grethen, Rhenish Bavaria, Germany, March 17, 1837. He was the son of William and Elizabeth LORENZ, whose maiden name was STEPP. In 1854, at the age of seventeen, he came to America and settled in Marietta, Ohio, where he learned the trade of a tanner. Here he remained until 1858 and then removed to Cincinnati and to Hamilton, where he finished learning his trade. He worked as a journeyman for three years, and at the expiration of that time opened a shop for himself. He sold out his store two years later to engage in other business. In 1877 he invented and patented a new idea in the way of an ice house, and that year erected six ice houses on the Miami River and canal, and in partnership with Messrs. RUPP and HELD, formed the firm of Lorenz, Rupp & Held, which put in about fourteen thousand tons of ice annually. Prior to engaging in the ice business Mr. LORENZ was a member of the firm of Lorenz & Bender, who were proprietors of the Star Refrigerator Manufactory. From this he conceived the idea of building cars on the same principle as family and saloon refrigerators, and in 1881 built and patented one made by himself, which gave such satisfaction that in February, 1882, he had little trouble in forming the corporation known as the Lorenz Refrigerator Car Company, composed of the following gentlemen: Jacob and John LORENZ, H. and Joseph F. REUTTI, Martin MASON, Israel WILLIAMS, Dr. A. MYERS & Co., J. W. SEE, Carl FRENUST, H. P. DEUSCHER, and J. F. BENDER.

He was married March 17, 1858, to Miss Barbara EBERHARDT, by whom he has seven children, the oldest of whom is dead. Mr. LORENZ is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Royal Arcanum.

Nathan Egbert WARWICK, a member of the Butler County bar, was born in St. Clair Township, this county, February 11, A. D. 1849. His parents are Jeremiah WARWICK, at present a citizen of that locality, whose biography appears in this book, and Lydia SMITH, daughter of Daniel SMITH and Alice Mary JACOBY, two pioneers of this county, of Pennsylvania Dutch descent, and noted for their industry, integrity, and piety. Mr. WARWICK’s boyhood was spent on the farm and at the common school until the age of fifteen, when he attended the Seven-Mile Academy, where he prepared himself for entrance to the collegiate course at the Miami University. In 1869 he entered the university at Oxford, then under the presidency of Dr. Stanton, and began the classical course, which he completed, along with the elective studies of practical astronomy and calculus, in the year 1872, graduating with the next to the highest average grade in all studies of any in the class of that year, an on account of his abilities as a speaker was by the faculty awarded the “honor speech” on commencement day. While at the university, Mr. WARWICK was a member of the Erodelphian Literary Society, holding in turn each of the offices of that organization, and receiving a diploma from it, as well as from the university, which conferred on him at his graduation the degree of Bachelor of Arts.

Mr. WARWICK, before this event, began the study of the law, which he pursued after the manner of his school studies, reading and digesting, and on October 25, 1873, was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court at Columbus, Ohio. He at once began active practice in all the courts, and has earned that degree of success which hard labor in his profession secures.

On September 18, 1879, Mr. WARWICK was married to Miss Ida J. MCLINN, daughter of Isaac B. McLINN and Mrs. Jennie McLINN, née KENNEDY, daughter of Robert KENNEDY and Joan Minor MILLIKIN. Mr. and Mrs. WARWICK have a daughter, Hope, to add to the attractions of their home, on Second Street, in Hamilton. Mr. WARWICK has never held any political office, although in 1878 he became a candidate before the Democratic Convention for member of the Legislature, but failed to secure the nomination. He has always been connected with the Democratic party, and since his removal to Hamilton has taken a deep interest in its success, and in nearly every campaign canvassed the county in its behalf.

Henry A. WALKE was born in Union County, Ohio December 15, 1833, and settled in this county in 1877. He is the son of William WALKE and Virginia (EVANS) WALKE. He was married in Port Huron, Michigan, July 26, 1871, to Maggie A. KIMBALL, the daughter of David KIMBALL. She was born in Ontario, Canada, January 2, 1841, and has given him two children. Cora H. was born June 26, 1874, and Frances L. November 22, 1876. By a former marriage he has had Dora E., who was born January 15, 1858; Irena V., December 26, 1860, and Arthur, October 2, 1867. Dora E. is dead. Mr. WALKE was justice of the peace and county commissioner of Lenawee County, Michigan, from 1867 to 1870. Mr. WALKE is the inventor of the celebrated fountain pen know by his name, and is the manufacturer. His grandfather, Anthony WALKE, served in the War of 1812, and was afterwards a member of Congress. His uncle Henry WALKE, rear-admiral in the United States navy has been in that service since the age of sixteen, now a period of about fifty years. At the breaking out of the war he commanded the steamship Supply at Pensacola, but was soon transferred to the gun-boat Taylor, with Commodore FOOTE’s fleet. From that he went to the gun-boat Carondelet, running the blockade at Island No. 10, and firing the first gun at Fort Donelson. Mr. WALKE’s brother William served in the Ninety-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry a short time as wagon-master, and afterwards was transferred to take charge of the supply between Louisville and Nashville. He was finally given charge of the hospital at Nashville, and was honorably discharged in 1864. Other brothers were in the hundred days’ service.

George G. WHITE was born in Virginia, April 24, 1792. At an early age he emigrated with his father to Ohio, and settled near the river, when it was the home of the Indian. In 1796 they set sail on a broadhorn, intending to go down the Mississippi, but were convinced it was highly dangerous, and remained in this section of the State. In 1821 he was married to Miss Jane WHITE, sister of the late Rev. Levi WHITE, of the Cincinnati Conference. He united himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1815, and remained a consistent member all of his life. In 1824 he moved to Oxford, on the day Dr. BISHOP was inaugurated the first president of Miami University. A few years after going there he was appointed postmaster, which he held for a long time, under five or six different administrations, up to that of President BUCHANAN. After that time he acted with the Republicans, having previously been a Democrat. He had four sons and four daughters, of whom George W. WHITE, of Hamilton, is the only one living. His last illness was brief and not severe, his death occurring on the 15th of June, 1867, at the age of seventy-nine. He was an amiable, honest, and intelligent man, with a good literary taste. He was well versed in the best of the English poets and prose writers, quoting them with ease and accuracy. He was a man of high religious character, of great purity of mind, and highly respected in the community.

William R. WHITEHEAD was born in Hamilton, July 18, 1836. He was the son of Robert W. WHITEHEAD and Lavina WILSEY. The former was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1806, being the son of an Englishman who had emigrated to this country. Mrs. WHITEHEAD was born at Albany, New York, of New England parents. Her birth was in 1802. Mr. WHITEHEAD received only the instruction of the average youth and left school early to learn a trade. His original tastes were for drawing and painting, but his father put him with a cabinet and pattern maker, which trade he learned and followed for a number of years. His artistic proclivities, however, led him into photography, and he finally bought out Poe BREWER, and started a gallery in Beckett’s Block, which he carried on for a number of years. He felt a warm interest in the supremacy of the government in the late national struggle for existence, and sent out a substitute to the war, but did not himself enlist, owing to ill health.

He was a prominent member of Hamilton Temple, No. 17, Temple of Honor, and of the Sons of Temperance, for a number of years. He was an ardent and devoted Christian. He was a member of the First Baptist Church, and attained a reputation throughout the county as one of the most successful of primary teachers. His drawing aided him in showing the meaning of the lessons. He was in charge of the primary department of the Baptist school at the time of his death. He married May J. RANDALL, May 5, 1857. She came of a long-lived family of hardy pioneers, who emigrated here from Pennsylvania. She died August 10, 1879. At one time he was prominently connected with the sewing-machine interest. He first introduced the Singer machine and started the first sewing-machine wagon for that company in the State. He conducted the large offices at Hamilton, Richmond, and Dayton. Mr. WHITEHEAD was a man of the highest character, and was esteemed and respected by all who knew him. He died December 6, 1880.

Americus SYMMES is the son of John Cleves SYMMES, the author of the theory of a hollow inhabited world, of whom an account is given on an earlier page. Americus SYMMES came to Hamilton in March, 1828, on a canal boat, and carried on and cultivated a farm here successfully. In later years he retired to the neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky, where he is still living. He is an ardent defender of his father’s theory, and points to several facts recently discovered as a confirmation of the doctrine.