Mrs. Susan ANDERSON, of Excello, was born in Maryland in 1833. When but an infant her grandfather, Samuel HUGHES, her father, Vincent HUGHES, with their families and a few others, came to Butler County, where she has lived since that time. Mrs. ANDERSON obtained a good education when young, and spent eleven years of her life in teaching in public schools, mostly in Butler County. Her father was a farmer and died in 1849. In 1855 she was married to Benjamin F. HARRISON, and in 1861 he entered Co. D, Thirty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and spent three years in the war; afterwards was in the government service, but went to Illinois, where he was injured by a fall, and died from its effects May, 1867. Mollie ANDERSON, her daughter is a teacher also, and at this time has charge of a school in Butler County.
Frank J. BARNARD, superintendent of schools in Middletown, was born in Medina, Ohio, March 26, 1852. He is the son of Judge S. G. BARNARD and Malvina M. BARNARD. His great-grandfather, Samuel BARNARD, served in the Revolutionary War. He prepared for college at Kenyon Grammar School, Gambier, Ohio, on attaining the age of fourteen, then entering Cornell University, at Ithaca, New York, at sixteen years of age. In the beginning he was in the classical course, but changed this to the course of philosophy, graduating in 1874. After his return to this State he began teaching in country schools in Medina County, boarding around among those who sent their children to him, afterwards being engaged as superintendent of schools in Brooklyn Village, Cuyahoga County, for two years. At Celina, Ohio, he acted as superintendent the next two years. He has now completed his fourth year as superintendent of schools in Middletown, and by a unanimous vote of the board of education has been elected for three years longer. He was married in Cleveland, November 28, 1877, to Anna L. FISH, daughter of Bethuel and Lucy FISH, of that place. Mr. FISH is now dead. His daughter was born in Brooklyn Village, September 30, 1852, and has given her husband one child, Clem T. BARNARD, born July 10, 1880.
S. A. BOWMAN, confectioner, was born in Cincinnati, August 20, 1853, and settled in this county in 1874. He is the son of John BOWMAN and Kate ELIAS. He was married in 1875, in Cincinnati, to Hattie LINEHART, daughter of Jacob LINEHART and Rosa WOLF, who was born April 3, 1856. They have three children. Blanche was born November 10, 1876; Sidney S., April 30, 1879; and Ralph S., February 10, 1881. Mr. BOWMAN was reared in Cincinnati, where he remained with his parents until he was eleven years old, then going to Nashville, Tenn. Then he lived with his grandmother four years, when he came back to Cincinnati, where he obtained a situation in a wholesale candy manufactory. In this employment he remained for three years, until his employer closed up his business, then coming to Middletown, where he was in the store of his brother as a dry-goods clerk. He was with him for three years, when he went to Crawfordsville, being in the notion business for eleven months. On his return he engaged in his present occupation.
C. H. BUNDY, attorney and proprietor of the Middletown Telephone Exchange, was born in Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, June 11, 1852. His parents were George J. BUNDY and Rebecca HOOVER. His mother died when he was six years old, and then he lived with his father and grandfather until he was thirteen years old. At that time his father hired him to a man named Samuel WOLWAGES, where he stayed four years at ten dollars a month, his wages being taken by his guardian. He also worked for several other men in the vicinity of Red Lion. He went to school at intervals during his minority, and saved seventy-five dollars between seventeen and twenty-one. With this money, and what else he earned, he went to school for two years, finally obtaining a certificate authorizing him to teach. He taught for two years in the Jersey settlement, near Carlisle. With the money thus obtained he went to Montgomery County, where he studied law, being admitted to practice in 1878. On the 9th of April he was sworn in at the district court in Hamilton, and on June 1st removed to Middletown, where he opened an office in the Leibee building. He has been very successful in his practice. In the Spring of 1879 he moved into the Merchants' National Bank Building, which he is now occupying. Mr. BUNDY was the originator of the telephone exchange in this neighborhood. He opened an exchange in Middletown, and next began exchanges at Lebanon and Franklin. He owns all those in Warren County and a part of Butler County. This method of communicating ideas has proved very popular here. He was married September 1, 1881, to Emma A. JONES, daughter of Edward and Emma JONES.
John D. BREEDING, builder and contractor, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, May 19, 1819. His father, Thomas H. BREEDING, and his mother, Mary HUTCHINSON, were residents of that county. Mr. BREEDING was a soldier during the War of 1812, and after his death his widow received a pension. John D. BREEDING was reared on a farm owned by his father until he was sixteen years of age, when his father died. At the age of eighteen he went to Goshen, , in the same county, to learn the trade of mason and bricklayer. He remained at this occupation until he was married, when he came to Hamilton, living here three years, and then going to Warren County. He kept a general country store there at Twenty-Mile Stand for about three years, where he succeeded very well. After this he moved to Monroe, in this county, keeping a country store there also for about three years. About this time the war broke out, and he sold his stock, going to Middletown, where he went in the grocery line. For a brief time he was transportation clerk in the foraging department in Cincinnati. Two years and a half after he disposed of his interest to his partner and commenced to take contracts for building, an occupation he is following at present. He joined the Masonic fraternity about thirty-five years ago, and a few years later was admitted to the Odd Fellows. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since about 1850. His wife was a member before she was married, and the children are also members. Josephine H. BREEDING, his daughter, has been a teacher in the high school for about twelve years. She has one sister, Deborah Jane MCADAMS. Their mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth HARPER, was born in Hamilton in 1827. Her parents were William HARPER and Jane ROWEN. Mr. and Mrs. Breeding were united November 21, 1849, in Symmes Township, Hamilton County.
William BAILEY was born near Westchester, in this county, January 3, 1817. His father came from Pennsylvania in the year 1816, and settled in the southern part of this county, where he taught school. His mother died when he was ten years of age, and he was put to the blacksmith trade, which he followed until the year 1847, since which time he has been farming. He was married February 21, 1840, near Perryopolis, Pennsylvania, to Eliza Ann MAGINETY, who was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, September 23, 1821. They have had a children Mary Jane, born December 7, 1843; William, December 3, 1852; died August 16, 1854; Sallie E., August 19, 1855, and Joseph H., July 27, 1857, died September 22, 1859. Besides these there was an infant son, born January 21, 1842, and dying the same day. Mr. BAILEY's parents were Israel and Catherine BAILEY, and Mrs. BAILEY's were John and Eleanor MAGINETY. He connected himself with the Methodists in the year 1844, but is friendly with all Evangelical Churches, believing that on our Churches and schools depend the advancement of our morals and the stability of our country.
Metcalf Bradley HATCH was born in Genesee County, New York, March 5, 1835. His father, Timothy HATCH, died March 27, 1844, and his mother, Lucretia BUELL, died in 1865. Daniel BUELL, an uncle, was a captain of the infantry in the War of 1812, and was killed in the battle of Chippewa. His remains were never found. Mr. HATCH settled in this county in 1858, and was married December 30, 1862, to Martha A. SUTPHIN, daughter of John SUTPHIN and Jane POTTER. Mr. and Mrs. HATCH have three children, Harry S., Metcalf B., and Jennie R. He has been township trustee, being first elected in the Spring of 1877, and continued till 1878, and was re-elected in 1880 for one year. His brother, Hobart Henry HATCH, went out in the war, and was promoted to captain. A nephew was out in the war as general, and is still in the service.
George C. BARNITZ, banker, was born in Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania, June 13, 1812. His parents were Charles BARNITZ and Rebecca SWOPE, both natives of that State. Jacob BARNITZ, the grandfather, was in the Revolutionary War, and carried a ball in his leg for twenty-one years, when he had his leg amputated, afterwards wearing a false one. When George C. BARNITZ first came to this town in 1838, he kept store for Jacob LEIBEE for two years; in 1840 he commenced with William YOUNG for himself, where the United States Hotel now stands, where he remained for two years. In 1842, with William B. OGLESBY, he began where the bank now is in general merchandise, which they carried on for seven or eight years, then buying grain and being in the milling business. In 1862 he and Mr. OGLESBY began the banking business, which they are still carrying on. Mr. BARNITZ is the active manager. He has been twice married. Barbara MUMMA was the first wife. She was the daughter of John MUMMA and Susan BARE. She bore her husband two children--Charles S., born in 1843, died in 1847, and George Henry, born in 1848, still living. The second wife, Elizabeth BITTINGER, was the daughter of Henry BITTINGER and Julia SHAFER. He was married to her October 1, 1856, at York Springs, Pennsylvania, of which place she is a native, and has had five children: Louisa A., born in 1857; John S., born 1859; Harry D., born 1866; William O., born 1868, and Ella K., born 1872. The first two are dead.
Frank CUNNINGHAM was born in Springfield, Clarke County, Ohio, March 10, 1846. He is the son of John CUNNINGHAM and Bridget DOUD, who came here in 1856. Mr. CUNNINGHAM, the father, built the Montezuma reservoir, about forty-five years ago. He traveled through a large portion of the Northern States and Canada, making contracts for it. It is the largest artificial lake in the United States. He made the deepest cut on the Miami and Erie Canal, when the country was a wilderness, the wolves coming up to the very door. Frank CUNNINGHAM, at about eighteen, embarked in the manufacture of cigars, and continued at this for seven or eight years, when he began his present business, that of a dealer in clothing, hats, caps, and gentlemen's furnishing goods. He was city treasurer in 1876.
Horace P. CLOUGH was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1825. His parents, John P. CLOUGH and Minerva PRATT, came to Clermont County from Vermont, in 1820, and to this county in 1837. He was married in 1845 to Mary LEIBEE, born in Middletown in 1827, the daughter of Daniel LEIBEE and Sarah ENYART. Mr. ENYART emigrated from New Jersey in 1802, and was in the War of 1812. There are three children to this union--Sarah M., Charles H., and D. L. A. CLOUGH. Two members of the CLOUGH family went out in the late war, Hannibal and William A., both serving in the Fourth Cavalry throughout the struggle. Horace P. CLOUGH is a contractor. He was elected mayor in 1853, and member of the council in 1877, in both of which positions he served with credit to himself and the town. Having gained a reputation as a man of business, and being well acquainted with the workings of our canals, he was honored at the convention of 1876 by the Democratic party as its nominee on The State ticket for the board of public works. In 1877 he was elected as one of the representatives from Butler County to the General Assembly. He was chairman of the standing committee on public works, and from long experience and practical knowledge of the workings of the canals of the State he was able to lead the committee to the adoption of such means as would add to their business as well as enlarge the trade done upon them. He is an efficient legislature, and was held in high esteem by all his brother members. In 1878 he was appointed by Governor BISHOP to adjust all the claims of the State against the general government.
William CULBERTSON was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, in 1806, and came to this county in 1843. His parents were Joseph CULBERTSON and Nancy DICKSON. He was twice married. By the first marriage he had seven children. James Coe was born December 19, 1840; Joseph W., July 13, 1843; Eliza A. MITCHELL, April 23, 1846; Mary B. HUNT, November 19, 1849; Anna M., March 21, 1851, died July 10, 1854; Fanny J. EUDALY, November 5, 1853; William A., November 19, 1856. He was again married on the 7th of May, 1859, at Blue Ball, to Miss Mary Ann COE, and by her had one child, Ettie M., born February 16, 1861. The Rev. James COE was among the first preachers in Miami County, Ohio, where he labored for eighteen and a half years, when he moved to Blue Ball, where and about Monroe he was for a good number of years. For many years he married the people in Darke, Shelby, Greene, Miami, and Butler Counties. His denomination was Presbyterian. Mr. CULBERTSON has been an elder in the Church for about fifteen years, and has been a member since 1857. His wife has been a member since she was ten years old. Her mother was Eliza TODD, coming here with her husband in 1859. Mr. CULBERTSON was a contractor on the canal, and was very successful, although he had some of the hardest work on the whole line. He would take a contract and make money when others failed. He also put up several locks. He was a man of great perseverance. His oldest son, James C. CULBERTSON, was in the military service during the war and was discharged on account of ill health, afterwards enlisting, however, again.
Joseph D. COLLINS, son of Thomas COLLINS and Mary Ann BOWEN, both natives of Virginia, was born in Franklin, Kentucky, October 14, 1815. He was brought up on a farm near Frankfort until he had attained the age of eighteen, when he went to learn the carpenter's trade, following it until 1865, since that time having been engaged in the trade in ice, lime, wood and coal, and in transferring of freights. He has been a resident of this county since 1839. While employed at his trade he did a great deal of traveling, having traveled in three years about five thousand miles in the South, and sometimes going by sea. He was married in December, 1837, at Freehold, Monmouth County, New Jersey, to Margaret JACKSON, who was born in New Jersey, March 9, 1821. She died on the 8th of November, 1876. Her parents were Benjamin and Catherine JACKSON. They also became residents of this county, moving here in 1839. Mr. and Mrs. COLLINS have had twelve children. Their names were Thomas B., Henry H., Elizabeth PULLIAN, Charles E., Catherine P. KEMP, Margaret A., James S., Ida, Joseph J., Anna G., Charles F., and Albert G. Six of these children are dead. Charles E. died May 14, 1844; Catherine P. KEMP, August 6, 1871; Joseph J., January 14, 1856; Anna G., January 28, 1875; Charles F., February 1, 1862, and Albert G., March 24, 1863. Mr. COLLINS has been a councilman in Middletown for about four years. Both his grandfathers, Robert COLLINS and William BOWEN, were in the Revolutionary War. An uncle, Robert COLLINS, was in the War of 1812, being at the battle of Orleans and at Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Samuel COX was born in this county, June 2, 1835, and was married December 25, 1862, to Mary Ann PAULLIN, born October 13, 1839. His parents were John M. COX and Nancy HILT, and hers were Henry PAULLIN and Eleanor WILLIAMSON. They were all born in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel COX have been the parents of four children. Ira E. was born August 23, 1869; Samuel F., November 25, 1875; Mary Elizabeth, June 9, 1877; and an infant, now dead, born May, 1866. Three of his brothers-in-law were in the hundred-day service in Virginia--Henry PAULLIN, Clinton PAULLIN, and Jacob W. PAULLIN. Mr. COX is a farmer.
Stephen V. CURTIS, late president of the First National Bank, was born January7, 1826; in Liberty Township. He left school at the age of fourteen, but worked at home on the farm until eighteen. He then entered a store in Hamilton, and was with his brother Joseph about five years. During the meantime he was in Louisiana, and afterwards went to Cincinnati. In 1849 he was given and interest in the store in Hamilton with N. G. CURTIS, on account of ability. In 1850 he went on a farm in Lemon Township of two hundred and fifty-five acres, of which he bought one hundred and ten. He conducted farming until 1860. In 1855 he began auctioneering, which he followed till 1875, when he abandoned it on account of poor health. He went into banking in 1865, and except one year has been a director, and for eleven years, up to 1882, was the president of the bank.
Edwin Ruthven CAMPBELL was born in Franklin, Warren County, April 27, 1818, and after going to school at that place went to Middletown, living with his brother, Dr. Andrew CAMPBELL, and attended the academy established there by Nathaniel FURMAN. Having substituted for an active life on his father's farm, near Franklin, one indoors, without the exercise requisite for health, in the course of a year he realized the injurious effects of such neglect. About that time one of the old citizens of Middletown built an old-fashioned flat-boat, which was launched in the Miami Canal, taking aboard a full cargo of provisions and country produce, some of the neighboring farmers joining in the enterprise, for the purpose of trading along the shores of the Ohio and Mississippi, between Cincinnati and New Orleans, and CAMPBELL joined the expedition. While the days when this voyage was made differed very materially from those that preceded them, when the flat-boatmen, manning the historic "broad-horn" of earlier times, were of the "half-horse and half-alligator" type, they were at the same time composed of rougher, though none the less warm-hearted and loyal material than that to be found navigating the Western waters today.
Returning with health restored by his several months' roughing it, he commenced reading law with Corwin & Campbell, in Hamilton, the firm being composed of Jesse CORWIN and Lewis D. CAMPBELL, being admitted to practice at the April term of the Supreme Court, held in Warren County in 1840. Upon the commencement the publication of the Cincinnati "Daily Times," in the Spring of 1840, having had some experience as a writer upon the Hamilton "Intelligencer," he was offered the position of editor, and accepted it, and continued in that capacity for near two years, when failing health compelled its relinquishment. Some years after he again assumed the editorship of a daily paper in Cincinnati, and subsequently, in connection with other parties, commenced the publication of the Cincinnati "Daily Dispatch," which in the course of a few years, achieved a high reputation and standing in the ranks of the newspaper press, but during the general suspension of business attendant upon the fearful devastation caused by the prevalence of the epidemic of 1849, was forced to succumb to the pressure. Losing his wife and child the year after, he made his arrangements to go to California, and arrived in San Francisco in April, 1852. With the exception of the mining experiences, common to the majority of adventurers to the Pacific coast, and two years' service at the California capital, while holding the office of State registrar, he has resided in San Francisco the greater portion of the time, engaged in the profession of journalism. Mr. CAMPBELL early began the writing of verse, and attained a high reputation as a poet long before leaving for the western slope.
Aretas DOTY, brick manufacturer, was born in Lemon Township, Butler County, October 13, 1835. He is a son of Daniel C. DOTY and Catherine CRANE. Mrs. DOTY was born near Newark, New Jersey, but Mr. DOTY was a native, being the son of Daniel DOTY, the pioneer. The grandmother of Aretas DOTY had a brother in the battle of Trenton. She was often heard to tell how her brother shot an English trooper in that deadly conflict. With the exception of seven years that he lived in Rock Island, Aretas DOTY has always lived in this county. He has been a member of the Masonic order for about twelve years, and is still a member in good standing.
Daniel D. DENISE, farmer, was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, in 1805. His father, William DENISE, died in 1839, and his mother, Eleanor SCHENCK, died in 1852. They came to Butler County in 1814, from New Jersey. Daniel D. DENISE was married in 1829, in this county, to Eliza J. SCHENCK, also a native of New Jersey, where she was born in 1810. Her parents were James SCHENCK, who died in 1834, and Anna CONOVER, who died in 1868. They migrated to this section in 1815. Mr. and Mrs. DENISE had eight children, four sons and four daughters. John SCHENCK, the grandfather, was in the Revolutionary War.
Edmund B. DUBOIS, M. D., was born in Franklin, Warren County, April 3, 1854, and was married September 3, 1877, at Newport, Kentucky, to Anna L. STORMS, daughter of John J. STORMS and Anna E. MARTIN. She was born in Wayne County, Indiana, May 7, 1856.
Samuel R. EVANS, M. D., was born in Hillsboro, Highland County, April 21, 1819. His parents were Isaac EVANS and Jane MORTON. Isaac EVANS was out in the War of 1812. The son was brought up on a farm until he was twenty-five, studying at home in part. After leaving the farm he went to a medical school. He practiced some time before he obtained his diploma, having to take charge not only of his own but his brother's business, which delayed him a good deal. He has had a large practice for a great many years, but has had a large practice for a great many years, but has had a good deal of opposition to work against. He was brigade surgeon during the late war at Covington Heights. He was married in 1851 to Emma GAUNT, daughter of John GAUNT and Eliza DEEDS. She is now dead, having departed this life March 14, 1857. He has one son, John Gaunt EVANS, M.D., born February 26, 1857.
John J. EICHHORN, manufacturer and dealer in cigars and tobacco, was born in Cincinnati, August 13, 1859. He is the son of John EICHHORN and Louisa GROSS, who came here in 1866. John EICHHORN was in the military service of the United States for three years. John J. EICHHORN, at eleven years of age, went to learn the cigar maker's trade, and at twenty-one years entered into business for himself. He was married on the 27th of April, at Middletown, to Florence MCCLURE, daughter of Jackson MCCLURE and Rachel MCGILL, who came here in 1860.
Isaac C. FARIES was born in Middletown, December 29, 1816. His father and mother, Joseph Clark FARIES and Nancy FISHER, were married in Lemon Township, March 13, 1813. The family came West in 1792. Joseph C. FARIES was a wagon-maker, and learned his trade in Franklin. He was in the War of 1812, and came very near being included in the surrender of HULL, but being delayed on the road turned back home. Isaac C. FARIES has a day-book which was kept by his grandfather at an early day, in which was kept by his grandfather at an early day, in which the amounts are entered in pounds, shillings, and pence, in which appears an account against a governor of this State for a great number of different articles. Isaac C. FARIES was married on the 29th of January, 1842, to Mary SELBY, daughter of Zachariah and Cassandra SEMPLE, natives of Maryland. By her he had four children. Mary Y., born January 28, 1843; Malinda HEDDING, November 24, 1844; J. C., April 7, 1847; and Eliza Ann, January 8, 1849. His second marriage was to Martha GARRETT, on the 27th of March, 1854. By her he has had six children. Charlie M. was born July 24, 1855; Kate SWAIM, August 22, 1856; Joseph T., March 18, 1858; Lizzie, May 9, 1859; Frank M., July 18, 1861; and Cary HEATH. Mr. FARIES was town treasurer two years; councilman, fourteen years; member of the school board, nine years; treasurer of the Jefferson Masonic Lodge for twenty-one years; and treasurer of the fire department for twenty years.
Archibald C. FREEMAN, dealer in fruits, confectioner, and manufacturer of fly and fish nets, was born February 12, 1824, in Middletown. He is the son of Thomas J. FREEMAN and Ruth CAMPBELL. The father was in the second war with Great Britain as a captain. He went out in the Fall of 1813. He went from here to Detroit, and was detailed to do guard duty there. Captain ROSS came home sick, and Captain FREEMAN took command of both companies, keeping that command until discharged. He was in the Second Ohio Regiment and Fourth Brigade. The following is a copy of a receipt given to him:
Received of Captain Thomas Freeman, of the Second Regiment of Ohio Militia, in the United States service, two camp kettles as returned property of the United States, and for which I hold his return. Received by me, at Detroit, this fourth day of November, 1813.
W. B. ARCHER
Q.M. Sergeant, Second Regiment of Ohio Militia
Copy of DischargeDetroit, March 4, 1814.
To Captain Thomas Freeman
Sir,--Your manly conduct, strict attention to orders, and duty as an officer, are deserving honor, and are worthy of bearing the name of an officer, wherefore you are honorably discharged the service, and are entitled to credit for a six months' tour of duty. Given under my hand and seal, this day and year above written. Thomas IRWIN,
Major in the Second Regiment, Fourth Department of Drafted Ohio Militia
Mr. FREEMAN has been township treasurer two terms, and was once elected mayor of Middletown, but did not serve. He had indicated his unwillingness previous to the election.
Harvey Nelson GALLAHER, retired merchant, was born in Warren County, Ohio, August 4, 1816. His father, John GALLAHER, is still living in that county. Aged ninety-four, but his mother, Elizabeth NYE, died January 1, 1866, aged seventy-six. Mr. John GALLAHER, was drafted in the War of 1812, and made all his preparations to depart, but as Hull surrendered just then he did not go. Harvey N. GALLAHER was brought up in Warren County on a farm, working for his father until he was twenty-two years of age, when Mr. GALLAHER gave him a farm of twenty-two acres, which he went on and improved. In three or four years more he bought another eighty-three acres, thus filling out the quarter section, where he lived until 1870. In the early part of March of that year he settled in Middletown, going into the packing business, which he continued for five years. Since then he has not been engaged in any occupation. He was married at Red Lion, Warren County, February 17, 1842, to Elizabeth TODD, daughter of John TODD and Elizabeth SNODGRASS, who was born in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1821. They have had two children. Hattie E. was born July 11, 1843, and Francis L. was born May 15, 1846, dying November 27, 1866.