Peter GEBHART was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1800, and came out here with his parents when only four years old. He is the son of John GEBHART and Catherine GEESEMAN. Mr. GEBHART was in the War of 1812, at Detroit. Peter GEBHART has been twice married. His first union was to Elizabeth SELBY, and his second to Nancy HINKLE. The parents of the latter were Joseph HINKLE and Elizabeth DEBOLT. Mr. GEBHART has had ten children--Susannah, Christiana, Wolverton, Isaac, Andrew J., Peter, Elizabeth SELBY, Harriet WAGONER, Catherine LONG, Eliza MCGEE, and Gustavus.
George H. L. GEBHART is a native of Madison Township in this county, as is his wife. Her name was Caroline H. WILLIAMSON, daughter of David WILLIAMSON and Rachel COMPTON, and his parents were Daniel GEBHART and Christina LINGE. Miss WILLIAMSON was married to Mr. GEBHART December 23, 1867, and they have been the parents of six children. Rachel A. was born November 26, 1868; Edwin D., July 20, 1870; Lavina Jane, November 20, 1871; Bertha, December 29, 1873; Daniel, November 8, 1875; and Emma Gertrude, September 1, 1877. Mr. GEBHART was a member of the Home Guards in the last war.
John GRAFT was born in Holland, September 10, 1826, and came to this county in 1870, although he landed in this country long before. He married February 15, 1853, in Red Lion, Warren County, to Anna BARNETT, daughter of James BARNETT and Sarah LYONS. Mr. BARNETT died September 25, 1854, and Mrs. BARNETT May 12, 1864. They were buried in Reading cemetery, Hamilton County. They came to this county in 1850. Mr. & Mrs. GRAFT have had ten children. John was born February 13, 1854; James, August 27, 1855; Moses, April 20, 1857; William H., January 27, 1859; Sarah Ann, August 29, 1860; Martha Jane, August 9, 1861; Samuel B., October 31, 1864; Maggie Ann, June 11, 1866; Frances Elizabeth, August 16, 1868; and Emma Jane, 1871. James died July 10, 1856, and Sarah Ann September 7, 1860. Maggie Ann and Emma are also dead. Samuel BARNETT, a brother of Mr. GRAFT's wife, was killed at Selma, Alabama, during the last war. He was promoted just before the battle for his bravery.
Daniel GEBHART was born in Berks County, Pennsylvania, in 1798, and was brought here by his parents, John GEBHART and Catherine GESAMAN, in 1810. They got aboard a flat-boat at Pittsburg, and came down the Ohio River, it being so low that they would run on sand-bar occasionally. They finally arrived at Cincinnati, however. From there they footed it all the way to Middletown, where Mr. GEBHART remained until the day of his death. John GEBHART was drafted in the War of 1812, and served as a private for two years. He took the cold plague and was brought home, but recovered again. Daniel GEBHART was married on the third day of November, 1821, to Christina LINGLE, daughter of Leonard LINGLE and Mary GOWKER, who was born in Berks County, Pennsylvania, in 1804, and came out here in 1810. Of this marriage ten children were the fruits. Levi was born December 24, 1822; Catherine, October 12, 1823; Hiram, September 3, 1825; Eliza, October 31, 1827; Lavina, December 27, 1829; David, March 1, 1832; Amanda, July 22, 1834; George, August 17, 1838; William, April 12, 1841, and Sarah, August 23, 1843. Mr. GEBHART is a farmer.
Charles F. GUNCKEL, president of the Merchants' National Bank, and a lawyer by profession, was born in Germantown, Montgomery County, Ohio, January 4, 1837. Philip and Mary (LOEHR) GUNCKEL, his parents, were both born in Ohio. The GUNCKELs are associated with earliest history of Germantown. Philip GUNCKEL, the grandfather of our subject, was the founder of that village, and named it after Germantown, Pennsylvania, his native State. It was laid out by him in 1814, though he had previously built a saw and grist-mill on Twin Creek, and opened a store at the same place.
Philip GUNCKEL was a member of the Fifth General Assembly of the State in 1806 and 1807, and also in 1808 and 1809. He was also for many years associate judge and a prominent business man. He died in Germantown, possessed of a large property. Philip GUNCKEL, a soldier of 1812, the father of Charles F., was a merchant of Germantown, though of retired habits, his father having left his children a considerable estate. His wife died in 1877, at the age of seventy-five. After attending the usual time in the common schools, Mr. GUNCKEL spent two years in a private academy at Middletown, closing his school period at the age of eighteen. He entered the law office of Mr. L. D. DOTY, with whom he remained during two years, and was admitted to the bar in 1862, and began practicing in connection with Mr. DOTY, remaining in partnership with him until 1871. Mr. GUNCKEL has gained an enviable prominence for his shrewdness in conduct of his cases.
In 1872 Mr. GUNCKEL organized the Merchants' National Bank of Middletown, of which he has been president ever since. He has been able to attend to the duties connected with this position, and at the same time keep up his law practice, though lately he pays more attention to his banking interests. The original capital of the bank was $50,000. It was afterwards increased to $75,000, and subsequently to $150,000, its present capital, with $30,000 surplus. It is now carrying upward of $200,000 deposits. The history of this bank has been one of uniform prosperity.
In 1879 Mr. GUNCKEL built the street railway of Middletown, of which he has since been president, and in connection with the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad, is the principal stockholder. The road is in excellent condition, and compares favorably with those in large cities. He has laid out several large additions to Middletown, the largest of which consists of forty acres. Mr. GUNCKEL has for years been largely interested in real estate in and about Middletown. It is worthy of note, that the chief portion of Middletown has been laid out by the members of one family, that of Stephen VAIL, who made the first plat of the town, Hugh VAIL, his son, who continued the work afterwards, and lastly, Mr. GUNCKEL, son-in-law of the latter, who has performed the supplementary work.
On the 21st of May, 1859, Mr. GUNCKEL was married to Miss Ida A., daughter of Hugh and Jane VAIL. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. GUNCKEL. Ernest M., born March 17, 1860; Lula, born April, 1867; Anna, born December, 1877.
John EDDY, the son of Alvansy and Nancy EDDY, was born in Knox County, this State, April 7, 1838. He was married December 24, 1859, to the daughter of Henry and Mary KAUFFMAN, who was born June 10, 1841. Mr. EDDY served three years in the war, being a member of two different regiments, and came to this county in 1866. He has one child, Minnie, born July 1861. He has been road supervisor, and by occupation is a scale repairer, house-painter, and furniture dresser. His grandfather was in the War of 1812.
J. W. A. GILLESPIE was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, February 19, 1837, and is the son of James and Catherine GILLESPIE. He came to this county in 1870. He was married January 11, 1863, at Franklin, Ohio, to Henrietta WILKINSON, daughter of Richard and Mary Jane WILKINSON, who was born April 26, 1842, in Franklin. They have five children. Edwin W. was born June 9, 1864; Frank P., December 5, 1865; Jennie T., October 22, 1869; Willie F., November 2, 1871, and Robert Y., May 3, 1878. Mr. GILLESPIE was in the service from April 19, 1861, to January 1, 1865. His elder brother, William C. B. GILLESPIE, was a captain and major in the Forty-first Illinois Regiment, and was afterward on staff duty with General PUGH and General CUSTER. George, another brother, served in the Ninth Ohio Cavalry. J. W. A. GILLESPIE was United States store-keeper in 1868 for six months in Montgomery County, and resigned because of an utter dislike to the business. He is now sergeant-at-arms in Columbus, and represents the "Gazette" and "Enquirer."
George H. HENKEL was born in Madison Township, Butler County, August 28, 1841. He is the son of Hiram L. HENKEL and Amanda MUMMA, who came to this county about 1832. He was married in Boone County, Kentucky, near Union, July 24, 1867, to Ellen FOSTER, daughter of Jedediah FOSTER and Nancy WYNN, born in that county January 23, 1839. Mr. and Mrs. HENKEL have had three sons and two daughters. Hiram J. was born April 24, 1869; Nannie A., December 31, 1871; Anna B., June 18, 1873; John J., October 14, 1876; Paul F., December 10, 1878. Mr. HENKEL is the editor of the "Journal," and engineer and superintendent of the water-works. He was the assessor of Lemon Township in 1866 for one year, is a member of the school board at present, and for three years from April, 1881, and clerk of the board for one year from that date. Benjamin HINKLE [correction], son of Joseph HINKLE, Sen., and Elizabeth HINKLE, was born in Madison Township, December 24, 1827. He was married September 26, 1850, to Nancy SELBY, daughter of Middletown and Rachel SELBY, who came here in 1803. They have had seven children. Mary E. was born July 3, 1854; Rebecca A., July 21, 1856; George L., June 12, 1858; Louisa, September 10, 1862; Bertha, October 12, 1864; Benjamin, March 12, 1868; Clara B., March 13, 1870. Mr. HINKLE has been trustee of Madison Township for three years. His people came here in 1807, and his mother is now dead. Four of his father's brothers were in the War of 1812. His step-grandfather, Gabriel HUTCHINS, was in the Revolutionary War seven years and six months. Mr. HINKLE's occupation is that of a farmer and stock-raiser.
Thomas HETZLER was born in Kentucky, February 22, 1852. His father, David HETZLER, and his mother, Mary Ann THORNELL, live in Hamilton County, this State. His father's grandparents, on both sides of the house, were in the Revolutionary War, and his great-great-grandfather and two sons were in the battle of Brandywine. Mr. Thomas HETZLER was brought up in the town of Lockland, going to work at the age of thirteen in a paper-mill as a cutter boy. After one year he went in George FOX's starch factory, in Lockland, where he served an apprenticeship of six years, and while there learned telegraphing. At the age of twenty he took a night office on the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad, in Cincinnati, at the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette Junction, where he stayed fifteen months, when the office was closed. He applied for a place on the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis Railroad on November 27, 1872, and obtained the place two weeks after the application. He worked eight months as night operator at Osborn, and then was transferred to Franklin as day operator. Shortly after he was transferred to Miamisburg, Montgomery County, where he stayed two years, and then was promoted to the agency at Sharon, Hamilton County, being there three years and seven months. He then took the Lockland agency, being there for a year and a half, and then coming to Middletown, where he is still as the agent of the Short Line Railway. He has been a member of the Masons since March, 1872, belonging to Pleasant Ridge Lodge, No. 282, in Hamilton County. He was married October 29, 1874, to Emma KAUFFMAN, daughter of John KAUFFMAN and Susan MITTMAN, of Greene County, who was born September 26, 1852. They have one child, Grace B., born September 25, 1875.
Isaac T. HAND was born in Essex County, New Jersey, in 1814, and settled in this county in May, 1837. His parents, Ira HAND and Rhoda CROWELL, are still living in Newark, New Jersey. His grandfather, David HAND, was in the Revolutionary War, and did some prodigious marching. Ira HAND was in the War of 1812, and Isaac's wife's father, James LITTELL. Mr. LITTELL was married early in life to Mary N. WYNAN, and his daughter, Caroline, was married to Mr. HAND on the 24th of June, 1844. They have two children, Mary HAND and Ella SKILLMAN. He is a retired merchant. He is now treasurer of Lemon Township, to which office he was elected April 4, 1881, having previously held the same position for four or five years. He was a charter member of the lodge of Odd Fellows, which was organized in 1842, being one out of five or six, and has continued a member ever since. He was elected a trustee of this society for two years, on the 1st of January, 1880. His brother, Ira HAND, Jr., was in the late war until its close. He now lives in Newark, New Jersey.
Jeremiah Marston HUNT, physician and farmer, at Blue Ball, is a native of this county, where he was born January 18, 1849. He is a son of Nathaniel Pearson HUNT and Joanna MARSTON HUNT, who were both natives of this county. His grandmother came into Ohio in 1802 or 1803, and his grandfather at an early date. His father was born in Butler County, near Miltonville, and lived in that neighborhood all his life, as did the mother, who died near Miltonville, at fifty-two years of age. The grandfather was a tanner, and bought skins of the Indians. Dr. HUNT was married, at Blue Ball, April 9, 1874, to Mary Belle CULBERTSON, daughter of William and Mary Ann CULBERTSON, and has had by her three children, William Nathaniel, Mary Bessie, and Robert CULBERTSON.
John HOAGLAND, retired farmer, was born in Lexington, Kentucky, April 29, 1807. He is the son of Levi HOAGLAND, who died April 27, 1856, and Lucy MALLORY, who died February 20, 1861. They came to this county in 1818. John HOAGLAND had very poor school privileges. He was the main support of his family, and was obliged to stay and work at home. At the age of twenty-one he went to learn the shoemaker's trade, and worked at it and farming for twenty years. With his savings he bought land--at first ten acres, then thirteen, and then fifty. These tracts he sold out, buying seventy-two acres, which he improved. After several changes he became the owner of one hundred and seventeen acres and a half, on which he lived for sixteen or seventeen years, when his health became poor. He sold again, and came to Middletown to live, buying real estate and loaning money. Mr. HOAGLAND has belonged to the Baptist Church for upward of thirty years. His wife is also a member of the same Church, she having joined in the Spring of 1841, both enjoying the confidence and esteem of all who know them. There is only one house now standing in Middletown which Mr. HOAGLAND remembers as being erected when he first came to this county. He was married in Lemon Township in 1840 to Sarah PIERCE, who was born in West Virginia, July 22, 1819. Her father was Joseph PIERCE, and her mother was Polly SURTER. They came here in November, 1831. Taylor Pierce HOAGLAND, her son, was born October 3, 1847.
John H. JONES was born in Eccleshall, Staffordshire, Great Britain, in 1818, and came to this county in 1845. His parents were Richard and Ann JONES. Mr. JONES is a tailor by occupation. He was married March 25, 1847, to Middletown, to Caroline M. GREEN, daughter of Peter Davis GREEN and Mary STOCKTON, and born in Middletown in 1821. They have four children. Charles John was born April 9, 1848; Robert Green, May 5, 1850; Joseph Ray, May 11, 1853; and Nicholas Edward, in 1861.
F. A. KENNEL, who is an agent for all kinds of farming implements at Madison City, was born in the township where he now lives on the 7th of April, 1846. He is the son of John KENNEL, Sen., and Anna AUGSPURGER, his father coming to this county in 1842, and his mother being born here. They are members of the Mennonite Church, and are of German descent. He was married on the 25th of March, 1878, to Bertha KENNEL, daughter of Peter KENNEL and Susannah IUTZI, who came here about 1832. They have had two children,--Alma M. M. KENNEL, born August 25, 1874, and Peter F. KENNEL, born June 9, 1880. Mr. KENNEL was brought up on a farm in Madison Township, staying there until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to Illinois, where he stayed three years, teaching school and acting as clerk in a store. After coming back to Ohio he taught school for two years, then going into the grain business. In December, 1876, he embarked in his present employment. He has been president of the school board in Madison City for two years, being elected in the Spring of 1880. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Honor.
Jacob KEMP, farmer and attorney-at-law, was born April 5, 1819. His parents, Jacob and Mary Magdelena KEMP, came here early in the present century. Jacob KEMP, the father, came to this county and entered a section and part of a section of land, upon which his son now lives. It was all in woods, and inhabited along the Great Miami River by Indians. On the farm where Mr. KEMP, Jr., now lives were at that time wild animals such as bears, deer, and wolves. There were no roads or markets. Mr. KEMP was a minister in the United Brethren Church, and in addition was a farmer. He practiced medicine also for some years before his decease, which was in 1851, at the age of sixty-two. In 1812 he and his team of four horses were pressed into service. They were taken north to the lake, where he lost the horses, mostly for want of food, for which he never received any compensation. He and his wife were born and reared in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and were married there. The fruit of this marriage was four children, two sons and two daughters. The oldest, a daughter, was born in Pennsylvania, and is now dead, and the other three in Ohio, all now living. Mrs. KEMP was a member of the United Brethren Church, in which she took a great interest. The meetings then were held in Mr. KEMP's house and barn, and others in the neighborhood. His wife took great delight in providing food and lodging for ministers and members of her Church. She died in 1840, aged about fifty. The present Mr. Jacob KEMP has been twice married. His first was to Mary A. ZAHRING, daughter of Philip and Barbara ZAHRING, a native of Montgomery County, and his second was to Mary M. MILTONBURGER, daughter of William and Mary Ann MILTONBURGER, born in Warren County. By these wives he had six children--Leonidas Lycurgus, Emma, Charles Edwin, Horace William, John H., and Bertha BROWN. Mr. KEMP was elected a justice of the peace in 1854, and served till 1875--twenty-one years; township clerk in 1855, and served till 1875--twenty years; and in 1874 was elected a representative to the Legislature, serving till 1878, making two terms.
Joshua KEMP, son of Joseph and Mary Magdalene KEMP, was born in Frederick County, Maryland, in 1810. His grandfather, Frederick KEMP, of the same county, served as a private soldier in the Revolutionary War. Joshua KEMP settled on a farm bordering on Elk Creek, in Madison Township, where he lived until 1860, during the Spring of that year removing to Middletown. He was married in 1830, in this county, to Elizabeth KEMP, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Ann KEMP, who was born in this county in 1808. They had eight children. Abram KEMP was born April 14, 1831, and died May 16, 1849; Mary Ann DINGLER, May 15, 1833; Elizabeth Ann ECKERT, April 28, 1835; Joseph KEMP, July 11, 1837; Samuel D. KEMP, June 29, 1839; Francis M. KEMP, August 12, 1841; Maria Louisa MCKECHNIE, August 26, 1845; Laura Alice MORRIS, August 25, 1847. Francis M. KEMP served for three years in the late war, fighting as a private soldier in the battle of Chickamauga and many other battles of less importance, never receiving a single wound.
Charles A. KELLER, jeweler, of Middletown, was born in Hamilton, April 17, 1854. He is the son of Frank and Mary KELLER. At the age of sixteen he began learning the jeweler's trade with S. W. BROCK, of Hamilton, going into the business himself in Middletown in 1875, now doing excellently. He is a member of the Knights of the Pythias, and also of the Masons. He was married in Newport, Kentucky, on the 22d of October, 1879, to Louisa M. SEBALD, daughter of William and Mary SEBALD. They came to Hamilton in 1851, where their daughter was born May 23, 1861.
Adam LAMB was born in Germany, January 1, 1820, and came to this county in 1848. He was married in 1851 at Hamilton, to Barbara WALLER, also born in Germany, in Bavaria, in 1815. They have six children. Mary HUFFMAN was born September 14, 1852; Emilia SMITLEY, September 27, 1853; Frank, February 15, 1854; August, September 24, 1855; Lena, June 2, 1858, and an infant. The latter is dead, together with Lena, who died March 2, 1859. Mr. LAMB's parents were Charles LAMB and Charlotte SYNDOR, and Mrs. LAMB's, John WALLER and Mary Ann FLAGLER. None of them ever came to this country. Mr. LAMB was born on the banks of the River Rhine, and went to school until he was fourteen years of age, and staying home with his father until he was drafted in the cavalry at twenty-one. He served two years, when he ran away, with twenty-five other men, and came to the United States, landing in New York, June 1, 1845. He then went to the country and worked in a garden for two years, afterwards going to Easton, Pennsylvania. He worked at the stone-mason's trade in this place for one Summer, and then in a large hotel as hostler. In the Summer of 1848 he came to Cincinnati, where he remained a week or ten days, then coming to Hamilton, where he remained until 1854. In that year he went to Middletown. He began in the grocery business, which he has since sold out to his sons. He has a very pretty garden, about a quarter of a mile from town, of about twenty acres. He has retired from business now, and rents his land. He has always belonged to the Presbyterian Church, and his children are of the same faith. His wife is Roman Catholic.
George C. LAMB was born in Bavaria, August 20, 1822. He is the son of Charles LAMB and Charlotte KRAMER, who both lived and died in Germany. At the age of fifteen he was bound out by his father to learn the shoemaker's trade, the term being for two years. When half of this time had expired he went traveling from city to city, until he was nearly twenty-one years of age. Then he was drafted into the army, in the cavalry arm, but before the time came for him to report at head-quarters he came to New York city, where he landed on the 1st of July, 1844, and went to work at his trade. He worked there for ten years, and at the expiration of his time came West, stopping at Cincinnati for four or five weeks. Middletown was his next place, where he made a visit to his brother, returning for some seven months to Cincinnati, and then coming back to Middletown. Here he acted as clerk for his brother, remaining half a year. At the end of this time he bought out a store, and went into business for himself, buying a neat home about eighteen months afterward. He brought to Middletown the first billiard-table that was ever seen there. He is a member of the St. Paul Church. He has been a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church all his life, and to it his wife and children also belong.
James G. LUMMIS was born in Lemon Township in 1830, being the son of John LUMMIS and Ann BRIDGE. They were both born in Middletown. Joseph LUMMIS, his grandfather, who was one of the pioneers in this county, was an old Revolutionary soldier, as was also James G. LUMMIS's great-grandfather, on his mother's side, the Rev. James GRIMES, the pioneer preacher and cabinet-maker. Mr. LUMMIS was married in 1859, at Middletown, to Mary F. DEARDORFF, daughter of Jacob DEARDORFF and Mary KENNEDY. The latter is still living at Dayton. Mrs. LUMMIS was born in Middletown in 1840. They have had six children. Frank K. LUMMIS was born June 30, 1860; an infant was born April 22, 1862, dying the same day; George D. was born May 10, 1863; Charles A., May 15, 1865; John H., August 21, 1874; and Harry M., November 29, 1875. The latter died November 6, 1879. Mr. LUMMIS was treasurer of Middletown for two years, beginning in 1871, and is also a member of the school board, commencing in 1877, and serving three years. He was not a member in 1880, but was re-elected in the Spring of 1881. His wife's brother, Captain J. K. DEARDORFF, of the Thirty-fifth Ohio, was killed in the battle of Chickamauga. Mr. LUMMIS is a merchant.
D. J. MCMAHON, editor and publisher of the "Weekly News," was born on the 6th of May, 1846, in Middletown. He is the son of Cornelius MCMAHON adnd Mary A. MCGEHAN. Mr. MCMAHON was brought up in Middletown, and learned the printer's business nine years ago. He is now publishing a weekly paper, begun February 12, 1881, and has succeeded beyond his expectations. Three of his family were in the last war--his uncle Richard MCMAHON, Matthew MCMAHON, and Daniel MCMAHON.
William MAGIE was born in Liberty Township, Butler County, in 1815, on the 12th of September. His parents were Benjamin MAGIE and Sarah BROWN, the father coming here in 1813, and the mother the same year. He is a farmer and stock dealer. He was married on the 25th of March, 1840, to Rachael A. SLADE, daughter of Micajah SLADE and Temperance ELLIOTT, the former arriving in this county in 1819, and the latter in 1812. Mrs. MAGIE was born June 3, 1821. Her father was in the War of 1812, from the beginning to the end. With two other brothers he was present at the surrender of Hull's army. He was trustee of Liberty Township for nineteen years in succession, having the charge of the poor of the township and the widows and orphans. Mr. MAGIE was brought up on a farm, being forty-one years in one place. He then came to Middletown to live, where he has a fine place. Although his improvements on his farm are of the best in the county, he has three hundred and fifty acres here, besides an improved farm in Kansas, two and a half miles from Beloit, Mitchell County, of eighty acres, with a splendid orchard.
Joseph MOONEY, born in Natchez, Mississippi, January 20, 1847, is the son of Joseph MOONEY, Sen., and Elizabeth ADLER, who live in New York City. He was married September 11, 1872, at Aurora, Indiana, to Carrie EPSTEIN, of that place. Her parents were Abraham EPSTEIN and Betty MYERS, and she was born July 26, 1857. Mr. MOONEY came to this county March 1, 1881, and carries on a store for dry goods, novelties, and cheap variety. He has one child, Hattie MOONEY, who was born in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, July 223, 1873.
Theodore MARSTON, retired farmer, and vice-president of the First National Bank of Middletown, was born in Madison Township on the 26th of January, 1828. He is of an old Revolutionary stock. His grandfather MARSTON served all through the war of our independence. His father, Jeremiah MARSTON, came to this county in 1819. He was married to Mary Ann VAIL, a native of this county, who was born in 1802. They are now both deceased. Theodore MARSTON's grandfather, Shobal VAIL, came to Middletown from New Jersey as early as the year 1798, and in connection with his father, Stephen VAIL, and three brothers, Aaron, Randall, and Hugh, bought the land where Middletown is now situated, on the east shore of the Miami, including Madison City on the west side. Aaron and Randall VAIL settled on the western side of the river, and opened up two large farms. Aaron VAIL also built at an early day the large frame mill on the western side of the river, known in later days as the MUMMA Mill. It does not now exist. Shobal VAIL, in connection with his father, built a fulling mill and grist-mill on the site now occupied by the planing mill, which was the beginning of Middletown. Shobal VAIL married Mary BONNELL, of Clear Creek Township, Warren County, in the year 1799, and they lived at Middletown ever afterwards, first in a house just across the canal, about opposite Second Street, and afterwards built and occupied till their death the brick residence now owned by the Catholic Church, and occupied by the Rev. Mr. OROURKE as a parsonage. Shobal VAIL died in 1849, and his wife in 1851. At that time the canal was the western boundary of their farm, and the principal part of what is now called Dublin was embraced in it. It is now all in the corporation. Mary Ann VAIL, the mother of Mr. MARSTON, was born in May, 1802, and was one of the first white children born in that neighborhood.