Jeremiah MARSTON was born in Maine in March, 1798, coming to Ohio on reaching his majority. He made the journey principally on horseback, teaching school the Winters of 1819 and 1820 in Monroe. The latter year he went to Middletown, acting as a school-master, and there are old men now in that vicinity who recollect being his pupils. He married Mary Ann VAIL in 1821, and they lived either in Middletown or close by till March, 1826, when they purchased and moved on what became their future home for life, the farm known as the MARSTON homestead, situated half a mile west of Miltonville, Madison Township. He was a leading man in the community in which he lived, having received a good education in his youth, and taught school six years. He was always a strong Whig in politics, serving one term as associate judge of the Court of Common Pleas of this county. He died November 17, 1857, and the mother died November 14, 1855.
Theodore MARSTON was the third living child of his parents, and the first one born at the old homestead in Madison Township. He was brought up to farm life, and adopted it as a profession, and was married in 1851, to Susan A. FLICKINGER. After one year's farming on his father's place, he purchased and moved on what was then known as the PARKs farm, near Blue Ball, where he lived for six years, or until after the death of his parents. He then purchased and went to live on the old homestead, where he lived until 1879; then, having built a new residence on South Main Street, Middletown, moved into that place. He is now vice-president of the First National Bank of that place, of which he aided the organization, and has been director nearly ever since; and was formerly vice-president two years, and president of the American Color Printing Company. On the 2d of September, 1851, he was married at Seven-Mile, in this county, to Susan A. FLICKINGER, daughter of Jacob FLICKINGER and Hannah KUMLER, who came to this county in 1819. They have had five children. Mary Alice GOOD was born August 26, 1852; Jennie, August 26, 1854; Lizzie KIRKPATRICK, June 12, 1857; Katie, October 28, 1861, and Edna, February 14, 1865. The latter is dead.
Daniel MCCALLAY, president of the First National Bank of Middletown, was born August 10, 1839, at Dayton, Ohio, being the first son of Henry and Anna (MCKNIGHT) MCCALLAY. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of New Jersey. They removed to this State with their parents about 1830. The father early learned the wagon-maker's trade, at which he labored in Miamisburg, that being the place where his parents settled. He afterwards followed his trade in Dayton, where the subject of this sketch was born. Returning to Miamisburg, he engaged in the hotel business. The MCCALLAY House, of that place, was conducted by him until about 1857, when he removed to Middletown, where he kept what was then and is now known as the United States Hotel. This he conducted till 1861, being compelled to withdraw from business on account of failing health. He died the year following, in 1862, at the age of forty-nine. His widow survived him but three years, dying in the year 1865, at the age of forty-nine, also.
At the age of eighteen, Daniel engaged as clerk in the dry goods store of Jacob LEIBEE, of Middletown. He continued in his employment for three years, till 1861, when he was made a partner in the business. The firm of LEIBEE & MCCALLAY was continued till 1870. Mr. MCCALLAY then withdrew from the dry goods trade, and with the proceeds of nine years' prosperous business, engaged in the lumber and grain trade in the country with Mr. J. M. ROBINSON, a silent partner. They carried on a large business, both in Middletown and Franklin, till 1877. Mr. MCCALLAY was the first to build a grain-house in Middletown with modern conveniences, constructed so as to admit teams and wagons, by which means the grain could be dumped under a roof.
In 1877 Mr. MCCALLAY, in company with his brother-in-law, Mr. Robert WILSON, bought the tobacco factory then carried on by Mr. P. J. SORG, Mr. John AUER, and Mr. WILSON. Mr. MCCALLAY and Mr. WILSON bought the interest of the other partners. A large addition to the factory was soon built, and the enterprise greatly increased. The original capacity of four hundred thousand pounds per year was increased the first year to nearly a million, and the second year to nearly two million pounds, which is its present annual product. The plug tobacco manufactory of WILSON & MCCALLAY is one of the largest west of the Alleghanies, and gives employment to upward of three hundred operatives. In 1878 Mr. MCCALLAY disposed of his real estate and invested it in stock of the First National Bank of Middletown. The year following he was made one of the directors, and at the election of January, 1882, was chosen its president. The capital of the bank is now one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, with fifty-five thousand dollars of surplus, of which Mr. MCCALLAY owns one-sixth. Mr. MCCALLAY's religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been a member since 1875.
On the 23d of October, 1859, Mr. MCCALLAY was married to Miss Mary E. LEIBEE, daughter of Jacob and Sarah LEIBEE, of Middletown. Mr. LEIBEE, who was Mr. MCCALLAY's first employer and partner, died June, 1876. His wife had preceded him but a few months, having died in November, 1875. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mr. MCCALLAY, both living. Mary E. was born July 15, 1862, and Edwin L., born July 30, 1874.
Edmund L. MCCALLAY, commercial traveler in tobacco, was born in Miamisburg, Montgomery County, Ohio, June 15, 1842. He is the son of Harry MCCALLAY and Lydia Ann MCKNIGHT, who came to this county in the Spring of 1857. William MCCALLAY served in the Mexican War. Edmund L. MCCALLAY enlisted in Company D, Ninety-third Ohio Volunteers, August 5, 1862, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Stone River, December 31, 1862, being confined in Libby Prison three months. On being paroled, he was sent to Annapolis, Maryland, and from there to Camp Chase, where he acted as a clerk in the office of the provost-marshal, Captain John W. KYLE. He remained there nearly one year. Securing an appointment as second lieutenant United States Colored Infantry, March 4, 1864, and passing a satisfactory examination before a board of regular army officers at Louisville, Kentucky, he was sent on to Camp Delaware, Ohio. He was appointed post quartermaster and commissary in April, 1864. On application, he was relieved by the governor and sent to the front in August, with two hundred and forty recruits. He was ordered to Washington, and appointed assistant aid-de-camp to General YEOMAN, being promoted to first lieutenant, August 10. After being relieved, he was again appointed an aid-de-camp to General A. M. BLACKMAN, and shortly after made brigade commissary. During the next few months he served as aid-de-camp and acting assistant-general, being appointed post adjutant at Smithsville, North Carolina, in September, 1865. He was mustered out at Camp Chase, in October, returning to Middletown,, where he went into the dry-goods business. Shortly after he received an appointment as second lieutenant in the regular army, to date from July, 1866. He was ordered to Fort McPherson, where he was till May, 1867, and was afterward stationed at several military posts. He resigned his position as first lieutenant December 31, 1870. He participated in many engagements with the Indians while stationed at Forts C. F. Smith and Phil. Kearney. At present he is a traveling salesman for WILSON & MCCALLAY, plug tobacco manufacturers.
John NICOL, farmer, was born on the 1st of May, 1831, in Germany. He is the son of Leonard NICOL and Margaret BILLMAN. The former died in Union County and the latter in Germany. He was married on the 28th of October, 1856, in Middletown, to Kunigunda EICHLER, born in Germany on the 19th of June, 1828, dying in 1874, on the 4th of October. They had three children--John A., born October 19, 1858; Catherine M., born November 20, 1861; and Anna B., born July 17, 1861. Catherine M. died April 23, 1881. Mr. NICOL came to Middletown in 1854, and worked nine years in the papermill, then buying a farm in Union County, in Lemon Township, where he bought a farm of fifty acres, upon which he still resides with his family. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Anton NEUNER was born in the North Tyrol, Austria, August 29, 1829, and is the son of John NEUNER and Josephine SCHEFTHALER. His occupation at home was that of a miner. He was married in Cincinnati, July 12, 1863, to Sarah DEUTSCHLER, who was born in Oberkirch, Baden, October 29, 1831. Her parents were Joseph DEUTSCHLER and Eve VEGLIR. Mr. and Mrs. NEUNER have had eight children---Kate, Carrie, Josephine, John, Antony, Emma, Rosa, and Mary. Mr. NEUNER stayed with his parents until he was seventeen years old, then going to Steunermacht and working in an iron mine for thirteen years. Then he came to America, and eight years ago went to Middletown, where he has been farming ever since.
William B. OGLESBY, treasurer of Butler County, was born January 30, 1815, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He is the second son of Joseph and Mary (ADDLEMAN) OGLESBY, who reared a family of nine children. Mr. OGLESBY's parents were both natives of Pennsylvania. In the year 1818 the family removed to Cincinnati in company with Mrs. OGLESBY's parents. In 1823 the family took up their residence on Elk Creek, about two miles north of Jacksonburg, where they lived until within two years of the death of Mr. OGLESBY, in 1860, at the age of seventy-two. His wife died in 1859, aged sixty-eight.
At the age of thirteen, William B. OGLESBY left home to clerk in the store of Captain Hiram POTTER, of Jacksonburg. In 1830 he went to Middletown and entered the store of Jonathan MARTIN as clerk in the same room now occupied by himself and Mr. George C. BARNITZ as bankers. He remained there about three years till the death of Mr. MARTIN, who was succeeded in the business by Messrs. TYTUS & WRENN, in whose service Mr. OGLESBY continued till 1835, with the exception of six months. In that year Mr. TYTUS bought his partner's interest, and Mr. OGLESBY was given his former position, which he filled for the next two years. In 1838 Mr. OGLESBY became a partner with Mr. TYTUS, which was continued till 1840. In the Fall of that year he, with his brother Jacob, bought a stock of goods in Philadelphia, with at Pittsburg were shipped on the steamer "Troy" for Cincinnati. Near Portsmouth the boat with freight was sunk, and no insurance. Mr. OGLESBY succeeded in fishing his goods out of the river after lying at its bottom for ten days. They were dried in the corn-fields near by, and reshipped to Cincinnati, and thence to Dayton, where a store was opened. After two months' experience there the goods were shipped to Sidney, where they succeeded in selling them to a good advantage at the end of one year. Mr. OGLESBY sold out his stock and immediately engaged in the grocery trade at Urbana, where he remained for two years. He then went to Philadelphia as clerk in a dry goods store, remaining there about eight months, at the expiration of which time he married a lady from Hanover, Pennsylvania. In company with his wife he came to Middletown, and in the Spring of 1844 engaged in the dry goods trade again, in company with George C. BARNITZ. This partnership was continued till 1857. A great portion of the time from 1844 to 1855 the firm was engaged in buying produce, pork-packing, and various other branches, including a kind of banking business.
In 1855 Mr. OGLESBY engaged in the manufacture of paper at the mills now owned by Oglesby, Moore & Co., and which is still continued. The business was then carried on by John W. ERWIN & Bros., and a half-interest was purchased by Mr. OGLESBY and his partner. He is senior member in the present firm, and since it was incorporated, in 1867, has been its president and general manager, and attends to all its interests. They carry on a very extensive business, and for many years were the largest in Middletown. He is also interested in the Harding Paper Co., of which he has been treasurer for several years. He owned an interest in the institution years before, under the firm name of HARDING, ERWIN, & Co. Mr. OGLESBY has also been interested for ten years in the Tytus Paper Co., of which he is likewise treasurer.
William A. POWELL was born in Greensburg, Decatur County, Indiana, being the son of Elijah S. POWELL and Clarissa A. SWEET. He went out in the war, enlisted as a veteran with the Seventeenth Ohio, was through SHERMAN's great march to the sea, and was mustered out at the close. Elijah served eighteen months, and was disabled near Atlanta, Georgia, still suffering from the effects. William A. POWELL was married in Oxford, Ohio, in 1868, to Mary J. MOORE, daughter of Moses and Charity MOORE, who was born in Cumminsville, Hamilton County, by whom he has had two children---Harry W., born March 12, 1869, and Jennie G., who is dead. Mr. POWELL carries on book and job printing in Middletown.
Jonathan J. PETTIT, son of Joab PETTIT and Nancy THOMAS, was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, November 9, 1806. His mother lived to the great age of ninety-nine, her death then being the result of an accident. She was walking on a stone floor, when her cane slipped, and she fell breaking her hip. She had always been a very active woman, was highly esteemed by all who knew her, and had been a member of the Methodist Church for over sixty years. Mr. PETTIT was married in Middletown, in 1844, to Susan BRIDGE, who was born in this county, in 1811. She is the daughter of William BRIDGE and Rebecca GRIMES, who came to this county in 1804, and settled in Middletown. James GRIMES, the grandfather of Susan BRIDGE, was a local Methodist Episcopal preacher, the first Methodist sermon that was every preached in Middletown being delivered in his house, that being used as the church for a number of years. In this part of the country he was a cabinet maker, and used to make the coffins, and then go and preach the funeral sermon. The house mentioned was located on what is now known as East Fourth Street, but was then known as East Greet Street. He died at the age of eighty-seven, in March, 1845. Mr. PETTIT's grandfather was in the War of 1812. Jonathan J. PETTIT came to Middletown in 1843. He is a builder and brickmaker and layer. He has been a member of the Methodist Church for over fifty-four years, having joined in 1828.
John George RISH, farmer, was born in Germany, on the River Rhine, on the 2d of December, 1814. He is the son of Frederick RISH and Katherine WEBER, now both dead. He came to this county in 1846, having previously been married, in February, 1837, to Elizabeth EVENINGRED, born in the same neighborhood as her husband, April 28, 1812. She is the daughter of Conrad EVENINGRED and Louisa STOKE. Neither the parents of Mr. or Mrs. RISH ever came from Germany. They had had nine children. Catherine SEGALOX was born October 18, 1838; Mary STOKE, November 1, 1841, dying in October, 1870; Emma DIVER, August 22, 1843; Elizabeth SCHRINER, August 11, 1845, deceased; Samuel, August 15, 1848; and Sarah SHAFER, March 28, 1854. George died in Germany, and the dates of the births of Daniel and Julia Ann have not been preserved. Mr. RISH was made an apprentice to the shoemakers' trade very early in life, being only fifteen years old, giving for the privilege twenty dollars and two years of his time for nothing, supporting himself. This occupation he has always followed but he has now a farm in addition.
Nicholas RUSHART, born in Bavaria, August 8, 1826, emigrated to this country in 1853, and not long after was married to Margaret Mar MAIXNER, who was also a native of Bavaria, where she was born on the 15th of June, 1834. The parents of Mr. RUSHART were Jacob RUSHART and Charlotta STUHIE, and those of Mrs. RUSHART, George and Mary Ann MAIXNER. None of them ever came to this country. Mr. RUSHART has six children, Charlotte Eve, George John, Mary Anna, Eliza Catherine, Nicholas John, and Freddie. Mr. RUSHART was out in the hundred-days' service.
Stephen V. RUSSELL was born in Lemon Township December 17, 18ll, and was reared on a farm, staying there until he was fifteen or sixteen years old. Then he went out to work by day's work and by the month, remaining at this until within the last twelve or fifteen years, when he began dealing in stock, buying and feeding hogs, and then selling them. He is the son of George RUSELL and Mary VAIL. His father's people came down the Ohio River in a flat-boat to Cincinnati, and then came on horseback to the Miami River, where they began clearing and building a cabin. George RUSSELL died when his son was a small boy. The mill built by his grandfather VAIL was torn away by high water in 1805, when it had stood but two years. Stephen V. RUSSELL has a table made out of the first walnut log sawed in this township. His parents were Friends, and to that belief their son still adheres.
Thomas E. REED, physician, was born in this county in 1844. He is the son of William REED and Margaret SIGERSON, both born and brought up in this county. After a collegiate education at the Miami University at Oxford, he began reading medicine in the office of Dr. W. D. LINN, in Middletown. He then studied at the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia, where he graduated in the year 1872, afterwards locating in Vincennes, Indiana, in partnership with Dr. S. C. WHITING, where he remained two years, since when he has been in active practice in Middletown. He is a firm believer in the doctrine of "similia similibus curantur," and conforms his practice strictyl to that of the homeopathic school of medicine.
James Martin ROBISON was born April 11, 1811, in Butler County. His father, James ROBISON, was born and brought up in Pennsylvania, and his mother, Jane PARKS, was born in Pennsylvania, but when four years of age was removed to Kentucky. They came to this county in 1806. A brother of his father, John ROBISON, was in the Revolutionary War. At the age of seventeen James M. ROBISON began learning the wagon trade, when his employer broke up business. He again returned to the farm, afterwards was in Middletown in the lumber business, and conducted a planing-mill where Mr. TYTUS's paper-mill now stands. He also owns a fine farm two miles north of Middletown, on the Germantown Pike, and a large steam saw-mill, one hundred and forty feet long and forty feet wide, three stories high. The first story is built of stone. The mill is of forty-five horse power capacity. There is also a turning-lathe and planer. It is situated where there is business all of the time. He was married on the 14th of September, 1851, to Sarah D. TALBERT, who was born in North Carolina in 1825. She is the daughter of William TALBERT, who died March 9, 1867, and Willmett LAMB, who died December 7, 1837. The father came in 1837, but the mother never came. She lived and died in Preble County. Mr. ROBINSON has been a member of the New School Baptist Church for about twenty years. His wife is a member of the Protestant Methodist Church, and has a large acquaintance and circle of friends.
Abraham SIMPSON, retired farmer, was born in Middlesex County, New Jersey, on the fifth of September, 1795. His parents were Thomas SIMPSON and Margaret GRIGGS. He came to this country from New Jersey in 1818. His father had left home, in 1799, to come to this region on horseback, by the way of Fort Pitt, and from that place, now known as Pittsburg, started on alone. The man who kept the tavern there persuaded him to trade his horse for a skiff and come down the river, as it was considered very dangerous to travel any other way. So he, and a companion he met in that place, left together, having plenty of provisions, and were never heard of afterwards. Abraham was reared on a farm until he had attained sufficient age to be put as an apprentice to the blacksmith's trade, where he stayed four years. After completing his time he worked for a little while, but could get no steady employment, and determined to go West to Ohio. With his brother-in-law, Seth DYE, who had a wife and one small child, about a year old, they left, and were six weeks and four days on the road. The highways were very muddy, there being no turnpikes then; but they had a good team of horses, and got through with only one accident. They overtook an Irishman and his family who had four horses to his wagon, and Mrs. DYE was persuaded to get in their wagon, as there was a place to lie down. She had not gone far before they upset, breaking three of her ribs. All thought the child was killed, but it was not, and in fact had scarcely received any injury.
After getting to Middletown Mr. SIMPSON worked at his trade, blacksmithing, for about twenty years, his shop being the only one in town. He then sold out and bought a farm of one hundred and thirty acres. He has added to it until it now comprises one hundred and ninety-six. It is one of the best improved farms between Middletown and Lebanon. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for about fifty years, his wife joining at the same time. Nearly all his children are members also. He was married on the 15th of May, 1823, in Warren County, five miles west of Lebanon, to Euphemia LONGSTREET, born in Middlesex County, New Jersey, in 1799, on the 9th of January. Here parents were Aaron LONGSTREET, who died June 7, 1858, and Mary HIGGINS, who died March 20, 1862. Mr. & Mrs. SIMPSON have had nine children.
Martin SHEETS was born in Miami County, Ohio, February 3, 1824. His father, David SHEETS, died January 30, 1836, and Sarah FOUTS, his mother, died October 28, 1862. He was married November 28, 1848, in Hamilton to Elizabeth J. MATSON, whose parents were Enoch MATSON and Mary DIRELY. She was born in this county, September 20, 1824, and her father died in March, 1847, and her mother, May 5, 1855. They came to this county in 1807, but the grandfather came in 1800. His name was Frederick FOUTS. He was drafted during the War of 1812, but instead of going out hired a substitute, for whom he paid eighty dollars. Mr. SHEETS stayed on the farm until the age of twenty was attained, when he entered a blacksmith's shop as an apprentice, serving two years. Then he labored as a journeyman for a year and half, starting out for himself September 20, 1847, in the village of Amanda, and has been working at the business every since, with the exception of eight months he spent in Illinois farming, in 1862, then returning to his old home. He is a member of the Masonic order, and has been so since 1868, holding the office of junior warden and trustee for a good many years. He has also been a member of the Methodist Espiscopal Church since 1853, his wife also joining at the same time. Their children are William Alexander, born February 22, 1850; David H., August 10, 1852; Charles M. and Henry B., twins, born on the 15th of May, 1856, and dying the same day; Eddie, February 2, 1862, dying January 7, 1863; and two infants, one born on the 25th of December, 1854, and the other on the 1st of April, 1864, both dying on the day of their birth. Mr. SHEETS was supervisor in 1851. A brother, Robert SHEETS, was in the army as a private, and died of small-pox at Paducah.
Peter P. SCHENCK, an old and esteemed farmer of Madison Township, was born in Somerset County, New Jersey, on the 3d of May, 1801. He is the son of Garret G. SCHENCK, who was born April 30, 1758, and died in 1839, and Jane VANKIRK, born September 8, 1769, and dying in 1836. They were born in Monmouth County, in that State. The father was in the Revolutionary War for four or five years. Peter P. SCHENCK's birth-place was about forty miles from New York City. It was sold when he was about six years of age, his parents then buying a farm in Monmouth County, within one mile of the lower bay of New York, and six miles from Sandy Hook, where they lived in 1816. That farm was then sold, and his father came to Ohio. Peter was then fifteen years of age. They arrived at Franklin, Warren County, on the 22d of June, 1815, the father buying a farm within two miles of that place.
The present Mr. SCHENCK lived there until he married Catherine JOHNSON in 1821, and in 1822 moved to Butler County, having lived here ever since, or sixty years. They had five children, one of whom only is living, his youngest, who is forty-six years of age, now living at Peoria, Illinois. Their births and deaths are as follows: Johnson, born December 12, 1821, died September 12, 1839; Mary Ann, born February 25, 1823, died July 21, 1854; William born March 24, 1826, died January 26, 1875; Garret, born July 8, 1830, died July 24, 1830; Henry, born December 14, 1835. Mrs. SCHENCK's father, John JOHNSON, came to Ohio in 1810, and died 1850; and Polly SUTPHIN, her mother, was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey. Mrs. SCHENCK died in 1858, and in 1868 Mr. SCHENCK married Mrs. Elizabeth HEFFNER, whose maiden named was MORNINGSTAR. He was township trustee for about twelve years. His occupation has been that of a farmer.
William J. SCHENCK, son of B. G. SCHENCK and Phoebe J. DUBOIS, was born in Warren County, Ohio, November 25, 1854. He began the livery business in Middletown in 1879, and has done a good trade. He has a large stock both of horses and carriages. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has been so for ten years. He was the secretary of its Sunday-school for three years. He is the grandson of a soldier of the Revolutionary War, William SCHENCK. His brother, A. D. SCHENCK, was in active service for three years. In 1864 he went to West Point, to school, graduating in 1868, and has been in the service ever since. He has been to California, Mexico, and Texas.
Michael SIMPSON was born in York County, Pennsylvania, July 24, 1820, being the son of Arthur SIMPSON and Catherine BUTCHER. He was raised on a farm, and at the age of fifteen went to Weston, Lewis County, West Virginia, and learned the tailor's trade. He served four years at this, and afterward engaged in buying and selling grain and shipping it to Cincinnati. About ten years ago he came to Middletown, and opened a merchant tailoring establishment. He has been a member of the Methodist Church for twenty-eight years, his wife joining the Church at the same time. Her maiden named was Ellen WARNER. She was born in Lewis County, West Virginia, June 13, 1822, and was the daughter of John WARNER and Rachel RUSH, who came to this county in 1820. Mr. and Mrs. SIMPSON were married April 25, 1847. They have had ten children. Theodore C. was born February 27, 1848; Frances C., July 23, 1850; Henry A., September 22, 1853; Joseph H., February 23, 1855; John R., January 24, 1859; Carrie E., May 18, 1861; Mamie L., November 14, 1862; Ida May, August 19, 1864; Susie R., July 24, 1868; Jean W., October 14, 1872. Mr. SIMPSON was a justice of the peace for three years, being elected in 1853. His son enlisted in 1862, and was captured and sent to Andersonville Prison for about four months, coming very near dying. He enlisted in the Fifty-third Ohio Regiment. Of Mr. SIMPSON's children Frances C. has received a very fine education, and for the last twelve years has been teaching school in Jeffersonville. Henry A. SIMPSON is a cutter in a large tailoring establishment in Columbus, Ohio. John R. is the assistant cutter in the Middletown establishment. Theodore C. SIMPSON is a book-keeper and paymaster in a large tobacco establishment.
William SEBALD was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 10, 1830. His parents were Casper SEBALD and Margaret SCHALK, the mother coming to this county with William in 1854. He was married in Hamilton, on the 29th of September, 1857, to Mary DILG, daughter of Henry DILG and Louisa SCHWAB, who was born in Hamilton, June 12, 1841. Her parents came here in 1836. Mr. and Mrs. SEBALD have had ten children. The first was an infant, dying shortly after its birth, in 1858. Louisa M. KELLER was born in May, 1860; Minnie A., June 10, 1861; George H., November 15, 1864; Edward C., August 11, 1866; William J., April 15, 1869; Charles, September 2, 1871; Frank A., January 26, 1874; Mamie A., April 9, 1876, and Gustavus A., January 28, 1879. Frank A. died April 15, 1875. Mr. SEBALD learned carriage painting and trimming in Bavaria, and after coming to this county he worked at this trade for about five years, when he built a brewery in Middletown, where he carried on the brewing business until his death, which occurred December 10, 1880, his wife carrying on the business. He was a member of the town council and school board about five years.