Daniel C. SNYDER was born in Madison Township, May 3, 1837. His parents were Daniel and Catherine Ann SNYDER. He is a farmer. He was married December 10, 1857, to Mary Jane SINKEY, daughter of John SINKEY and Louisa A. WEIKEL. She was born in Amanda, Lemon Township, April 15, 1838. They have had five children. Sarah C. SNYDER was born January 1, 1859; John M. SNYDER, November 22, 1862; Daniel S. SNYDER, November 21, 1866; Clara L. SNYDER, December 13, 1871, and William M. SNYDER, April 21, 1875. Daniel S. and William M. are dead.
Joseph SUTPHIN was born in Lemon Township, December 24, 1817. His parents, John SUTPHIN and Jane POTTER, were of the earliest families in the neighborhood. His grandfather, Abraham SUTPHIN, was in the Revolutionary War, and his father, John SUTPHIN, in the War of 1812. Moses POTTER settled in Lemon Township in 1795, and followed the occupation of a farmer. He was married on the 14th of April, 1840, at Piqua, to Caroline JOHNSTON, born in that town, in 1819. Her father, William JOHNSTON, died in 1823, and her mother, Mary SHAW, is also dead. Three children have been given to this marriage -- Charles SUTPHIN, Harried J. GUNCKEL, and Mary Belle PENDLETON. Charles enlisted in 1861, in the Thirty-fourth Ohio Infantry, and was afterwards appointed as a lieutenant in the Ninety-third, serving three years, and was wounded in the battle of Chickamauga. Mr. SUTPHIN has been a member of the school board for nine years, and has been a member of the Episcopal Church since 1860. His business is that of a miller and paper manufacturer.
Jacob SCHAFFER was born in Bavaria, Germany, November 24, 1841, and came to this county in 1860, and to the United States three years before. His first residence was in Germantown, where he had an uncle living. He began learning a trade there, working at it for three years. In 1860 he came to Middletown, when he went to work at his trade, but went out in the army April 19, 1861, in the Twelfth Ohio Infantry, for three months. He re-enlisted December 2, 1861, in the Sixty-ninth Regiment, and remained with it until the close of the war. While he was in the army of the West, he served under General BUEL, General ROSECRANS, General George B. THOMAS, and General W. T. SHERMAN. He was with SHERMAN in the Atlanta campaign, and from there went on the march through Georgia to the sea, to Savannah. After its subsequent marching, he went on to Louisville with his regiment, and was honorably discharged. Mr. SCHAFFER was in all the Western engagements, and was never exempted from duty, but was always ready. When he first went out he was private under Captain William PATTON. He was promoted to corporal within the first six months, and went through the regular promotions until he became the captain of Company G, Sixty-ninth Ohio.
When he came back from the army he went in partnership with Charles LATTERNER. He was elected secretary of the German Building and Saving Association eight years. He was elected town treasurer in April 1876, and still holds the office. He now conducts a barber-shop. He was married in Middletown, October 4, 1861, to Eliza MERRIMAN, who was born in Liscuel, Ireland, July 25, 1844, and is the daughter of Stephen MERRIMAN and Elizabeth REGAN. Mr. and Mrs. SCHAFFER have nine children. Jacob SCHAFFER was born June 20, 1862; William T. S., April 18, 1866; Ulysses G., December 2, 1867; George F., August 2, 1869; Joseph H., February 20, 1871; Anna, March 26, 1873; Harry, July 28, 1875; Daniel, May 6, 1877; and Mamie, July 26, 1879. Jacob SCHAFFER, the father of Mr. SCHAFFER, is still living, in Germany, but his mother, Elizabeth KNAPP, died November 5, 18777. Mrs. SCHAFFER's parents are dead.
John R. SHAFOR, a prominent stock breeder of Middletown, Ohio, was born in Lemon Township, Butler County, Ohio, December 6, 1817, and was the fourth child and first son born to William and Jane SHAFOR. He remained on his father's farm until he had reached the age of nineteen, when he went to work in a sash-factory carried on at the mouth of Dick's Creek, by Mr. Isaac GARDNER. He remained in this occupation three years, at the end of which time he engaged to work a neighboring farm on shares. The product of the first season was principally corn, which did not sell at the remunerative price. This so discouraged the young farmer the he gave up agricultural pursuits and engaged in merchandising in Amanda. After two years of unprofitable business, he sold his small stock of goods at a sacrifice, and engaged to work on an uncle's farm at ten dollars per month. This was during the Summer season of 1843.
On the 6th of December of the same year, having just reached his twenty-sixth birthday, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah DAVIS, daughter of Vincent and Anna DAVIS, who resided on a farm near Hamilton. Nothing daunted with his past struggle, he went to work in the pork-house of F. J. TYTUS at nine dollars per month, including his board.
The following Spring Mr. SHAFOR moved to the farm of Mr. P. W. SHEPHERD in Liberty Township, where he remained one year working the farm on shares. At the end of this time he removed to the farm formerly occupied by John MULFORD, five miles south of Middletown, where he remained one year, and at the expiration of this time found himself in possession of a neat sum of four hundred dollars. With this amount he purchased a farm of fifty acres near Princeton, seven miles north-east of Hamilton. For this farm he agreed to pay one thousand dollars---for hundred down, and the remainder in two installments, cover a space of three years. He remained on this farm one year longer, during which time land advanced in price, and at the expiration of this time he sold his farm for thirty-six dollars per acre. Returning to Amanda with two thousand dollars in cash, he purchased one hundred acres of fine land from John DICKEY, agreeing to pay him four thousand one hundred and twenty-five dollars for the same. Making his first payment, three hundred dollars, he gave his notes for the remainder, and on the 1st of January, 1850, received the deed for the farm, and took possession of the same. During the following Summer Mr. SHAFOR erected a comfortable dwelling, and in October of the same year he moved his family, consisting of his wife and a little four-year-old daughter, to their new home. She and the infant child died April 29, 1851.
On the 15th day of December, 1852, he was again married, to Miss Rebecca B. VAIL, daughter of Randall and Maria VAIL, of Madison Township, near Middletown, and in the following March he resumed the charge of his farm, having rented it previously, from the death of his first wife, to a family with whom he boarded. As a result of this union four children were born to them, all of whom died. By the death of his family Mr. SHAFOR became again discouraged, and for the space of two years there was a cessation from business cares, during which time he sold out his implements and rented his farm. However, in 1859, he again commenced operations in the grain and stock business, in partnership with S. V. CURTIS at Amanda. They followed this business during the war, and were very successful. Being at the age that would make him subject to the draft at the commencement of the rebellion, he stood his chances until June 24, 1864, when he became exempt by law from doing military service. But to show his patriotic spirit and love for his country he furnished a recruit at his own expense, who fought in his stead until peace was declared.
In 1866 Mr. SHAFOR built what is known as the Shafor Block in Middletown, and in May, 1872, removed his family to that city. In that year he began dealing in fresh and cured meats, in partnership with F. M. KEMP, with whom he is now associated and doing a thriving business. Mr. SHAFOR is one of the charter members of the First National Bank of Middletown, and assisted in its organization. He was one of its largest stockholders for a number of years, and also a director, and for one year its vice-president. Mr. SHAFOR has been foremost in all good works, and for the space of about forty years has been a member of the First Baptist Church of Middletown. An enterprise worthy of special notice is that of breeding fine sheep, for which Mr. SHAFOR has few superiors and a wide reputation. In 1879 he imported from Oxfordshire, England, a few of the celebrated Oxfordshire down sheep, which proved so satisfactory that he was induced, in the Fall of 1880, to make another importation, making his selections from the noted flocks of Adams, Fox, Treadwell and Gillett, who have the largest reputation of any stock-breeders in England. Mr. SHAFOR's stock farm is situated on Dick's Creek, and consists of three hundred acres. It is conducted by his nephew, W. A. SHAFOR, and is well adapted in every respect for this purpose. Dick's Creek runs through the entire farm, affording plenty of good, clear water for the use of his stock.
Mr. SHAFOR is one of the most prominent citizens of Middletown. His career throughout has been one worthy of emulation, and shows plainly what can be accomplished by industry, good judgment, and a straightforward course. Mr. SHAFOR is a gentlemen of fine social qualities, and has very genial and affable disposition. From a poor farmer boy he has carved his way through adverse circumstances to a position of distinction and affluence, and stands high in the community as a man of sterling qualities. In all his business relations he shows an equitable spirit, and toward all public improvements he manifests a deep interest, and contributes liberally of his means for their support.
Francis J. TYTUS, president of the Tytus Paper Company, and for fifty-five years a resident of Middletown, was born in Hampshire County, Virginia, about twenty miles west of Winchester, February 6, 1806, and continued on the farm of his father until he was fourteen years old, when he entered the store of Robert SHEWARD, in the same neighborhood, with whom he remained four years. Then having reached the age of eighteen years, he went to Winchester, Virginia, and entered the store of Thomas PHILLIPS & Co., in whose employment he remained until May, 1827, when he removed to Ohio, and settled in Middletown, then a small village of a few hundred inhabitants. Mr. TYTUS engaged as a clerk with Jonathan L. MARTIN, who was in the dry-goods business, and four years later married his daughter, Sarah, who died in 1840. In 1832 Mr. MARTIN also died, and Mr. TYTUS, in partnership with George L. WRENN, purchased the stock of goods formerly owned by his employer, and under the firm name of Tytus and Wrenn conducted the business until 1849. In 1836 he engaged in the pork-packing business, in connection with which he was favorably known for the space of twenty-four years. In 1854 he associated himself with OGLESBY & BARNITZ, and purchased two mills, one engaged in the manufacture of white paper, and the other produced brown wrapping paper, erected by John W. ERWIN & Brother. Mr. TYTUS held and interest in these mills until March, 1882, during which time the buildings were greatly enlarged and improved. In 1873 he purchased another mill, and the same year the corporation of the Tytus Paper Company was formed, and Mr. TYTUS owning three-quarters of the stock, was made its president. This corporation is composed of the following gentlemen: F. J. TYTUS, president; C. GARDNER, vice-president; J. B. TYTUS, secretary; and W. B. OGLESBY, treasurer. The business of the mill amounts to over half a million of dollars annually, and turns out twenty thousand pounds of manilla paper every twenty-four hours.
Mr. TYTUS is one of the most substantial and influential members of the Baptist Church of Middletown, with which he became associated in 1828, and has been frequently sent as a delegate to the Baptist conventions, and has been prominent in all Church matters. Not only has Mr. TYTUS been prominent in religious affairs, but in every good cause and work. He has been active in enhancing the material growth of his adopted city, and has contributed liberally of his means toward the building of turnpikes, public school buildings, churches, and all improvements of the place. In personal appearance he is a fine specimen of physical manhood, being about six feet in height, of noble presence, weighing about two hundred pounds, and in general make-up bears a striking resemblance to General George Washington.
Mr. TYTUS was married to Miss Sarah BUTLER in 1842. By this lade he has had a family of four children, the oldest of which, E. J. TYTUS, died in 1880. Those who survive are John B. TYTUS, associated with his father in business as secretary of the Tytus Paper Company; Lizzie P., the wife of C. GARDNER, vice-president of the above company; and Emma J. MONJEAU, whose husband is vice-president and agent of the Red Cliff Silver Mining Company of Colorado, with office and head-quarters in Topeka, Kansas. Formerly he was a clergyman in good standing of the Baptist denomination, but health failing he was compelled to relinquish his position.
Mr. F. J. TYTUS is now in his seventy-seventh year, and is a remarkably well-preserved man. He is found almost every day in his office attending to the duties devolving upon him as president of the Tytus Paper Company, and is quite extensively known as "the great paper manufacturer." Mr. TYTUS has a fine reputation as a business man, and his career in Middletown stands above reproach. In 1848 he purchased a beautiful farm in the suburbs of the city, on which he erected a handsome and commodious residence, where he now resides, surrounded by every evidence of refinement and affluence.
Daniel Brown VAIL was born September 6, 1853, in Madison Township. He is a sign and ornamental painter. His parents were William W. VAIL and Lucinda BROWN, both natives of this county. He was married October 29, 1879, to Minnie R. OLDEN, daughter of David OLDEN and Celia FORK. She was born in Greenville, Darke County, February 13, 1858. To this union one child, Blanche E., was born December 26, 1880. In 1872 he went to Buffalo to learn a trade in the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad shops, where he stayed until the Spring of 1878, when he came back to Middletown, going into business for himself. He also makes excellent portraits.
Hugh P. VAIL was born in Middletown September 17, 1843. His parents, Hugh VAIL and Jane PORTER, came here in 1800. At the age of sixteen he went to farming, continuing at this till he was thirty years old, when he went to teaming. He now constantly employs three teams. He was married December 7, 1871, in Warren County, to Alice R. CRANE, who was born in that county May 14, 1851. Her parents were Samuel R. CRANE and Ellen Jane DEARTH.
William WEBSTER was born in Liberty Township on the 2d of May, 1811, and is the son of William WEBSTER and Mary MARSH, who came to this county from New Jersey in 1806. Mr. WEBSTER was early in life engaged in the hardware business in Hamilton, in conjunction with his brother, Joseph WEBSTER, but for the last forty years has been a resident of Middletown. He has been twice married. His first wife was Maria J. KENNEDY, and he was married to her October 5, 1837. Her father's name was Joel KENNEDY, and her mother's Esther MOOREHOUSE. By her he had eight children. Albert WEBSTER was born September 26, 1838, and died on the 5th of December, 1851; Mary was born April 12, 1840, and died February 7, 1841; Joel K. was born May 29, 1843, and now lives in Kentucky; Laura J. FORD was born December 3, 1845, and lives in Texas; Charles was born November 30, 1848, and died June 27, 1868; Florence NUNNELLY was born July 29, 1852, and lives in Galveston, Texas; Thomas was born August 15, 1854, and William E. was born October 2, 1856. In a second marriage, Mr. WEBSTER was untied to Charlotte E. HOOK on the 6th of August, 1869, who has one child, Stanley, born September 30, 1876.
George P. WEBSTER, the nephew of Mr. WEBSTER, served during the whole of the Mexican War. He also was in the War of the Rebellion, being shot at the battle of Mill Springs. His rank was that of colonel, but he was in command of the brigade at that time. Mr. WEBSTER is now engaged in the manufacture of paper bags, inventing the machinery himself, and employing sixty or seventy employees, mostly girls. The factory was built in 1873, but was destroyed by fire on the 6th of November, 1880. This was Saturday night, but by a week from Tuesday it was again in motion as before, new quarters having been temporarily found.
Charles M. WILLIAMS, teacher, was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill., October 11, 1856. His father is William N. WILLIAMS and his mother Elizabeth J. WILLIAMS. His grandfather, David LLOYD, was a private soldier under General TAYLOR in the Mexican War. An uncle, William LLOYD, orderly sergeant of a company in the Guthrie Grays, died of typhoid fever at Bowling Green, Ky., in 1862. James M. LLOYD, another uncle, served three years in the Seventy-fifth Ohio, being in seventeen set battles. Charles M. WILLIAMS lived in Illinois until he was six years old, when he was removed to Warren County in this State, then being on a farm until 1875, when on the 26th of October, 1875, he came to Middletown, where he was for seven years engaged in teaching school. He also teaches education, and has been very successful as a public reader. He was married on the 25th of November, 1880, to Louisa HINKLE, daughter of Benjamin and Nancy HINKLE. They are natives of this county, and she was born here September 10, 1862.
Allen Smith WRENN, paper manufacturer, was born in Fairfax County, Virginia, March 6, 1815. His parents, who lived and died in Virginia, were Thomas WRENN and Catherine BRENT. He was married I 1845, in Middletown, to Parthenia TAYLOR, daughter of David TAYLOR and Joanna ENYART, who are both dead. Mrs. WRENN was born in Middletown March 22, 1823, and they have had five children, Thomas A., Edward, Mary, Charles L., and Kate B.
Joseph WICKOFF was born in New Jersey, on the 12th of December 1802, coming to this county in 1821. His parents were Samuel WICKOFF and Vesta IRTON. Mr. WICKOFF was married on the 8th of November, 1838, to Eleanor BARKLOW, daughter of Tobias BARKLOW and Elizabeth JEEMS, who came to Butler in 1806. They have had six children--Vashti, Rebecca, Tobias, Henry, Sarah, and Joseph. Rebecca and Henry are deceased. The latter was in the army, but he was never heard of afterwards, and it is supposed he is dead. Tobias WICKOFF was in the hundred-days' service.
Uzel CLARK (deceased) came with his father, Jacob CLARK, to Ohio in 1806, and in the Fall of 1807 settled on a farm near Monroe. His father married Miss Sarah BEACH, and raised three children: Mrs. Mary MULFORD, Mrs. Esther KYLE, and Uzel CLARK. Mary married John MULFORD about the tiem of the War of 1812, who was the father of David, Jacob, and Job MULFORD, the well-known citizens of Butler County. David MULFORD now lives in the north part of the State. Esther CLARK was the first wife of James KYLE. She died full fifty years ago, and her children are all dead but Mrs. WYLE, of Jericho. Uzel married Margaret SAMPSON. She died in 1834. He became the father of three children--Eliza, David Parkhurst, and Sarah Jane. All are dead now but Eliza. Uzel CLARK was born Mary 24, 1803, and died March 1, 1882. He lost his father when fourteen years of age, and thus, when a boy, was initiated into the hardships of pioneer life, and without paternal support. He always lived on the farm near Monroe Station, a part of which he sold to the Cincinnati and Springfield Railroad Company, now Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis Railroad Company, for their depot grounds. Mr. Thomas BEACH, his maternal grandfather, was one of the minute-men of New Jersey in the Revolutionary War.
Cephas C. FETHERLING was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, September 26, 1837, in which, and in adjoining counties, he spent his early life. His parents were poor, and Mr. FETHERLING educated himself. At nineteen years of age he took charge of a district school in Twin Township, Preble County, and taught in that and other places five years. On the 24th of August, 1862, he joined Company H, Ninety-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Colonel ANDERSON, and left for Kentucky, the regiment joining MASON's and NELSON's troops as re-enforcements, but retreating to Louisville. He was disabled by sickness from doing duty, but kept with his regiment until the battle of Perryville, when he was taken prisoner by Kirby SMITH, and immediately exchanged, but on account of sickness did not join his regiment until 1863. He was assigned to an invalid corps, and sent back to the Northern States, where he did duty, and was honorably discharged July 7, 1865. He enlisted as a private, and attained the rank of commissary sergeant when discharged. He subsequently taught school eight years, but in March, 1873, went into the boot and shoe business, and also carried a line of groceries in Winchester, Preble County. In December, 1880, he came to Middletown, where he has done a business the first year of $21,000, and this year of $35,000 in the hardware trade.
His father, Jacob FETHERLING, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1805. He lost his parents when young, and he thereafter shifted for himself. He married Permelia LUELLEN November, 1829, and came to Ohio. She died October 29, 1864, and he moved to Illinois, then Missouri, and is now engaged in farming in Arkansas, in Boone County, on a spur of the Pea Ridge Mountains. His daughter, Eliza, is with him. Mr. Cephas FETHERLING married Miss Sarah C. HOLLINGER June 27, 1867, daughter of Monroe and Rebecca HOLLINGER, old settlers of Preble County. Her maternal grandfather, Joseph SINGER, received the first marriage certificate on record in Preble County. He settled in Harrison Township, that county, in 1800. He settled in Harrison Township, that county, in 1800. After Mr. FETHERLING's marriage he taught school six years. He has one brother, George H., who was in the army with him, and who is now in Iroquois County, Illinois, farming.
Simon GOLDMAN, dry-goods merchant in Middletown, was born May 12, 1831, in the village of Zeil, Germany. His parents, Max and Jetta GOLDMAN, were both natives of the same place. Simon GOLDMAN was given a common school education, and at the age of sixteen, unaccompanied by any relatives, came to America. He located first in Cincinnati, September, 1847, among a few relatives and acquaintances, and set about finding employment. With what little money he had he bought a few goods and started out in the country selling them. Five years, or until 1852, were spent in this occupation. The proceeds of this period of industrious labor were sufficient to enable him to open a store in Middletown, which he did March 1, 1852, in company with Mr. Joseph BUCHMAN. A stock of dry goods and clothing was purchased, and for and a half years a prosperous business was carried on. At the end of the time Mr. GOLDMAN bought out the interest of Mr. BUCHMAN, and carried on the establishment alone until the Spring of 1856. At that time he sold out and went to Madison, Wisconsin, there engaging in the same trade. He returned to Middletown in about six months, and opened a store on Third Street, which he conducted till 1858. In the meantime he built the store on Main Street which he has since occupied.
Mr. GOLDMAN was one of the organizers and charter stockholders of the First National Bank of Middletown, and has been one of its directors for the past twelve years. Form 1880 to 1882 he was cashier of the bank, a position he was compelled to resign, in consequence of his other business. He is also a stockholder in the Middletown Gas Company, which he was instrumental in organizing. He has been a Mason since 1852, and a Knight of Honor also.
On the 10th of September, 1857, Mr. GOLDMAN was married to Miss Susan TRINE, of Middletown, whose parents died while Susan was still a child. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. GOLDMAN, all living. Harry H., born March 19, 1859, is now engaged in the store; Joseph R. was born December 12, 1861; Charles T. was born June 26, 1863; Jetta was born November 25, 1865; Emma was born November 8, 1867; and Bertha was born August 31, 1875.
F. C. JACOBY, of Lemon Township, is a son of Henry JACOBY---one of the prominent settlers of the township---and a brother to J. B. JACOBY, the merchant and grain dealer of Amanda. He is a young, enterprising farmer, in the thirtieth year of his age, and owns a fraction over one hundred and eighty-four acres of one of the best farms in the county. His land is under a high state of cultivation, and the best of buildings are on the place. He was married to Miss Susie ZEIGLER in 1879.
Edward KIMBALL, M.D., a retired physician of Monroe, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, November 17, 1810. When six years of age, to the day, his father, with his family, arrived in Cincinnati, where he received his education, graduating from the medical department of the Cincinnati College of Medicine, in 1834. In 1838 he removed to Blue Ball, where he practiced his profession until 1848, when he retired from active life. In 1860 he erected his fine brick residence in the town of Monroe. Since this time the doctor has held the position of magistrate two terms, and is at present notary public. In 1840 he married Miss Mary Jane STEWART, the only living representative of the pioneer James STEWART, who was killed by the falling of a tree in 1835. Mr. STEWART was an elder in the United Presbyterian Church, and while going to Cincinnati in a two-horse wagon on the Dayton road, two miles south of Monroe, and old tree fell while he was passing, and killed himself, wife, and another lady who was sitting on the same seat. He died May 4, 1835, being then sixty-one years old.
Adam LONGSTREET was born in this county December 4, 1838. He is the son of Aaron LONGSTREET and Mary GALLAGHER. He was married on the 1st of October, 1861, to Mary J. BAILEY, daughter of William BAILEY and Eliza Ann MAGINETY, and has had by her four children. Ella was born January 16, 1863; Dora, June 28, 1864; W. B., February 9, 1872; and Mary, May 7, 1875. He is a farmer and stock-raiser.
P. P. LATOURRETTE was born October 3, 1817, in Somerset County, New Jersey. His parents, Peter LATOURRETTE and Mary NITZER, died, the one in January, 1854, and the other in January, 1850. They came out here in April, 1839. His great-uncle, Daniel LAUTOURRETTE, passed all through the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, and was about one hundred years old when he died. Peter LATOURRETTE was a major in 1812. When in the service he had an altercation with a superior officer respecting the treatment of the men. LATOURRETTE treated them with utmost kindness; the other officer, on the contrary, treated them with severity. The colonel, in the end, determined to arrest Major LATOURRETTE, and demanded his sword from him, which he refused, saying it could not be had, except point foremost. Recognizing the resolute man he had to deal with, the colonel desisted. Mr. P. P. LATOURRETTE once owned a portable saw-mill, and was engaged in mercantile business for over eleven years. He also owned a drug-store in Hamilton for a time. He first became connected with the Middletown Agricultural Works as secretary, and in 1873, he and John HARRISON leased the works, soon after deeming it advisable to abandon the manufacturing of agricultural implements, and gradually changing its character to what it is at present. They now manufacture paper and tobacco machinery, wooden pumps, and have a brass foundry. The death of Mr. HARRISON, February, 1875, left Mr. LATOURRETTE the sole manager and proprietor. On the 1st of January, 1881, C. F. GUNCKEL, who had previously had one-fourth interest in the real estate and machinery, purchased a quarter interest in the business.
Mr. LATOURRETTE has been an elder in the Presbyterian Church for nearly thirty years, and has been a member of the Church for over forty years. His wife and two daughters are also members. He was member of the board of education for about nine years, being secretary for the whole time. He was a member when the large new school building was erected, and has always taken a warm interest in educational affairs. He has been twice married. His first wife was Magdalen MONFORT, married April 19, 1842, died January 2, 1847, and his second wife, Elizabeth MONFORT, married April 9, 1849, second cousin to this first wife. John MONFORT, father of his first wife, was a pioneer of Warren County, settling there in 1798. His wife's name was Mary MONFORT; his second wife's parents were Peter and Elizabeth MONFORT, who died in Pennsylvania. He had no children by his first wife. Mr. LATOURRETTE has had six children by his last wife: Maggie was born February 9, 1850; Mary J., February 20, 1852; Lizzie J., March 27, 1854; David M., March 26, 1856; John M., July2, 1861, a graduate of Cincinnati Law School in 1882; and William S., May 9, 1864. Lizzie J. died March 29, 1866. Mr. LATOURRETTE is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a Mason since 1848. He was deputy provost marshal during the war.
Robert MAGINETY, of Georgetown, was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, June 9, 1819. His father was a blacksmith, with whom Mr. MAGINETY remained until he learned the trade. When twenty-five years of age he came to Amanda, arriving there in June, 1844. He married Miss Lydia A. RUCH, on the 15th of March, 1846. Her father came here in 1841 from York County, Pennsylvania, and settled first in Preble County, and subsequently two and a half miles east of Amanda, and died in a year after coming to this place. Mr. MAGINETY performed journey work for many years in Amanda, but sold out there in 1864, and went to Darke County, Ohio, where he remained four years, and in 1871 came to this place, in Lemon Township. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1848, and has been a prominent member and leader in that society since that time. He is in possession of a good line of custom work, and has a good, comfortable home.
Michael C. MILLER was born in Bavaria, August 17, 1832. He is the son of Ludwig MILLER and Mary Anne MILLER. The father lives in Dayton, but the mother died in Germany. Michael C. MILLER was married in 1861, at Dayton, to Martha NEFF, who was born in Ohio in 1835, and whose parents were George NEFF and Lida SYLVIS. Mr. and Mrs. MILLER have had ten children. Fanny J., was born October 2, 1861; Charles L., March 17, 1863; Walter, deceased, April 5, 1865; Katie May, December 22, 1867; Howard W., March 23, 1869; Ida B., December 3, 1871; Daisy, December 11, 1873; Dorothea, September 2, 1875; Louis, March 5, 1877; and Michael, December 4, 1878.
Charles Lyman PRUGH, of the firm of C. C. Fetherling & Co., was born in Gratis Township, Preble County, March 1, 1857, but did not settle in this township until January 1, 1881, when he came to Middletown, since which time he has been engaged in the hardware business. He was raised on a farm, and remained at home until nineteen years of age, when he attended the Normal College of Danville, Indiana, taking from the institution a diploma, as a graduate of the scientific department, in the Spring of 1878. Following this he taught school seven months, and during the Winter of 1879 attended college at Oberlin six months, and on the first of the year 1881 came to Middletown. His parents were Daniel and Anna PRUGH.
Hannah PETERS, farmer, settled in this county in 1871. She was married in 1870. Her children are Mary S., born November 28, 1872; James B., born August 31, 1874; Nancy S., born January 8, 1876; and Jacob M., born February 15, 1880. She is the daughter of James FRANKS and Nancy HEWETT, and was born in Harrison County, Kentucky. Her husband was in the late war.
Andrew WANNENWETSCH, M.D., deceased, was born in Germany, on the 26th of December, 1820. He received in his native country a good education, taking a full course in medicine and also in pharmacy. In 1863 he came to America, and after a short stay in Cincinnati, removed to Trenton, Madison Township, where he practiced his profession until 1872, when he removed to Middletown, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying on the 8th of April, 1879. He was well skilled in the science of his chosen profession, and not only took charge of a large practice but was honored by the government in being appointed to the position of an assistant surgeon of the One Hundred and Seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was in the service six months during the war. He married Anna DEUSCHER, daughter of Michael DEUSCHER and Christina SCHEURER, who came to America in 1832. They remained four years in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where Miss Anna DEUSCHER was born May 3, 1836, after which they came to Butler County, where Mr. DEUSCHER died in 1844. Mrs. DEUSCHER is now past eighty-one years of age. Mrs. WANNENWETSCH is a sister to the well-known Captain H. P. DEUSCHER, of Hamilton.
Elias WEBB, of Middletown, is a native of Butler County, and was born near Poasttown, February 18, 1818. His parents came to this place in 1820, and Mr. WEBB has since that time resided in the place. He was formerly proprietor of a line of boats on the canal, and for twenty-five years was very successful in business. In 1857, he began the lumber business, and for several years followed that pursuit. He now owns considerable land, and is a retired farmer. He was married to Miss Abby BRASHEAR in 1858. His maternal grandmother was Phoebe ENOCH.
William D. SHEELEY was born near Flenner's Corners, July 13, 1822. His parents were Davis and Elizabeth SHEELEY. He was married on the 4th of July, 1873, to Mrs. Abby F. CUMMINS, and has had by her one child, Wilbur, born July 23, 1875. By her previous marriage Mrs. SHEELEY had five children. William CUMMINS was born June 2, 1858; Clara B. CAHILL, March 25, 1860; Annetta CUMMINS, June 7, 1862; Clarence CUMMINS, March 10, 1865; and Birdie CUMMINS, November 12, 1867. Abby F. SHEELEY, the grandmother of Mr. SHEELEY, died at the age of ninety-six.
Mrs. Clara STOUT, of Amanda, daughter of A. LONGSTREET, deceased, was born February 25, 1848. She resides on a good farm of one hundred acres of land, one half mile south-east of Amanda. She was married to Mr. STOUT February 21, 1871, and has two children. Nathan A. STOUT was born May 29, 1874, and Justin Charles STOUT was born January 18, 1878. Mr. STOUT is a self-made man, and a prosperous, well-to-do farmer. Her mother, Mrs. Nancy LONGSTREET, died September 14, 1878, at sixty-two years of age. Her father, Aaron LONGSTREET, died April 9, 1881, at seventy-four years of age. He took an active interest in all that concerned the educational interests of his district, and filled the position of director for many years also.
Mrs. STOUT had a twin sister, Rebecca, who died when eighteen years of age; also another sister, Mrs. Laura SCHENCK. She was married to Mr. Frank SCHENCK of Maroa, Illinois, October 27, 1876, returned home on her bridal tour, and was by accident burned to death. The guests were seated at the table when one of the waiters accidentally knocked a gasoline lamp form its socket, and it fell on the shoulders of the bride and exploded, scattering the blazing fluid before the light could be extinguished. Her clothing was burned from her shoulders, and her face, neck and shoulders frightfully burned, so that she died on the 31st of that month. The groom was badly burned also. Just two weeks from that sad event, lacking two hours, Mary Jane LONGSTREET, another sister, died at the age of twenty-five. She joined the Methodist Episcopal Church February 3, 1876, and was the last of fifty to united with that society during the revival of that year, and the first of that number to die.
Abraham SUTPHIN, lumber merchant, of A. Sutphin & Co., Middletown, was born near Franklin, Ohio, July 28, 1816. When eighteen months of age his parents moved to Lemon Township and settled where Mr. Garrett DEHEISSE now lives. When Mr. SUTPHIN was twenty-two years of age he took a contract on the old Lebanon Canal, and dug one and three-quarter miles of that ditch, running a force of fifty men sometimes, but generally only ten or twelve. He was two years thus engaged, and the year following, 1839, went to Logansport, Indiana, and in the Spring of that year bought a little place sixteen miles north of that city, and on December 18th, of that year, married Miss Eliza BROWN. In March, 1840, he moved upon his farm, and lived there until 1847, when he returned to Middletown. In 1872 he went into the hardware business, which he carried on successfully until 1877. In 1878 he entered the lumber business, and is doing a business of about $36,000 a year.
He has six children living and three dead: Mrs. Lavina LONG, Maria Louisa, Mrs. Sarah L. HOLMES (a widow), Mrs. Rhoda M. LUCAS, also a widow. Christopher D. married Miss Alice WILES, daughter of Mayor WILES, of Hamilton. He has two children and live in Hillsboro, Ohio. Francis M. SUTPHIN, the youngest son, married Miss Hattie GEST, of Cincinnati, in 1878. He is clerk for A. Sutphin & Co.
W. H. TODHUNTER was born in Monroe, May 20, 1842. His father, John D. TODHUNTER, was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, April 30, 1814. His mother, Hannah CLARK, was the daughter of John and Maria CLARK. They were married in 1841. Mr. TODHUNTER was educated at the Monroe Academy, and graduated at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, in 1867. He read law with Doty and Gunckel, and was admitted to practice in 1871, when he entered into partnership with Mr. GUNCKEL, and thus remained for three years. Since then he has been a partner with L. D. DOTY. For two years--1880-1881--he was editor and proprietor of the Middletown "Journal," and he has also been interested in real estate. He is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married on April 9, 1871, to Jennie WILSON, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth WILSON, of Middletown, and has four children living.
James Macready, M.D. of Monroe, is the son of John and Mary HART MACREADY. He was born near Maineville, Warren County, Ohio, March 17, 1835, and came to this county in 1859. His parents never ere residents, and are now both dead. After acquiring a liberal education he began the study of medicine in the office of the late Joshua Stevens, of Lebanon, Ohio, and graduated with the degree of doctor of medicine at the Medical College of Ohio. He immediately began the practice of his profession at Bethany. On the breaking out of the civil war he entered the army, and was assistant surgeon of the Thirteenth Ohio. In February, 1864, he settled at Monroe, where he has been ever since. He was married to Sarah E. KEYT on the 8th of May, 1860. She is the daugher of Edwin and Sarah Ann KEYT. Dr. MACREADY's grandfather was in the Revolutionary War.