G. M. Cummins, M. D., is a typical Ohioan and physician and has good reason to congratulate himself on the State of his birth, for it has been kind to him, although not beyond the measure of his deserts. He was born at Hamilton in 1876 and received his early education in the schools of Butler county, later attending country schools in Indiana, to which state his parents removed when he was a child. Graduating from high school in 1896, he prosecuted his medical studies at the Medical college of Ohio, and was graduated therefrom with his degree in 1900, the first several months of his practice being at Dayton. In November of the same year he established an office at Hamilton, and, through his able qualities as a physician and his stable, popular traits as a man, has continued his progress both in the development of a professional reputation and a profitable medical business. Doctor Cummins married Mary Clyne, and they are the parents of one son: George C. Since leaving college., Doctor Cummins has been a close student and has done much post-graduate work. He belongs to the Butler
Mrs. Mary Cummins. Among other claims upon the consideration of her fellow townspeople Mrs. Mary Cummins presents that of being one of the financially strong and the socially popular element of Middletown where the greater part of her life has been spent, and where she is known as one of the most intelligent, well informed and tactful residents of the city. She is the widow of the late Garrett Cummins who was born on the homestead place of the Cummins family, on Franklin road, not far from Middletown, in 1850. Mr. Cummins was one of the highly respected farmers of his day and passed his life in operations on the homestead, which is a tract of 155 acres secured from the United States Government by the Van Ness family. There were six children in the family: William and Gertrude, who are deceased; Georgia, who is the wife of George Joslyn, of Youngstown, Ohio; Dr. L. C., a practicing dentist of Cincinnati; Minnie, who is the wife of Chris Bielstein of Youngstown. Mrs. Mary Cummins is the possessor of the deed to the property on which she now lives, dated 1798, and in which year it was entered by Garrett Van Ness. Gen. William Henry Harrison (later President), was a guest of Van Ness and camped with his troops on this historic place, the present home of Mrs. Cummins.
Mrs. Cummins is a. familiar figure in the religious and social life of the vicinity of Middletown, being a welcome guest at many local functions. She has some very valuable historical treasures, among: which .are numbered a mahogany highboy used in the first hotel in Cincinnati; a highboy made by General Marks in 1774, and which now looks almost like new; a mahogany secretary which was floated down the Ohio river and up the Miami on a log raft to her home; a History of the Miami and Erie Canal; a Gilbert Stuart portrait of a Knickerbocker Dutchman; a portrait of an old man painted by Beard nearly one hundred years ago; a deed on a grant for a New Jersey plantation written on sheepskin dated 1732 and 1735, bearing the royal signature of George II of England, and on which George Washington camped, and is now the site of Princeton College; deed for home signed by President Madison; English mezzotint treated so as to appear an oil painting, given by Nicholas Longworth, Sr.; badge worn at President, Harrison's inaugural dinner, satin, 2 by 6 inches, with Harrison’s portrait and cabin; satin badge 2 by 6 inches, worn at Dayton Barbecue day, where the Republican party was was born; an imported silken shawl listed at a fair many years ago as being one hundred and thirty-five years ago and still in a beautiful state of preservation; knee buckle worn by Stephen Hopkins while signing the Declaration of Independence; a signer’s copy of the Declaration of Independence, almost fallen to pieces and yellow age; a wine glass used by Washington;
Miss Jessie Cummins, daughter of Mrs. Cummins and a graduate of her home town high school and of Virginia college, is a young lady very much interested in church work, being a member of the Baptist church of Middletown of which she has been librarian and also secretary of the mission work, and for her faithful attendance has received diplomas and other prizes. Another of Mrs. Cummins' daughters, Minnie, is now Mrs. Bielstein and lives at Youngstown, Ohio. She is a graduate of the Middletown high school and Miami University, at which institution she was prominent in athletics, excelling in indoor baseball. She is also a graduate of Virginia college. Her husband is deputy sheriff of his county, and they have one daughter, Helen Van Ness. Georgia, another daughter of Mrs. Cummins, also lives in Youngstown, and is the wife of Mr. George Joslyn. They have two children, Thomas and Garrett.
Harry H. Cunningham. Nearly a century has rolled around since the first settlement of the Cunningham family in Ohio, and during that time its members have been leading citizens and prosperous agriculturists of Butler county. Of the men who worthily represent this name today, one who has made a success of his operations is Harry H. Cunningham, of Wayne township. Mr. Cunningham was born in this township, January 2, 1880, a son of Andrew and Sarah Jane (Weaver) Cunningham. The founder of the family in the United States was the great-grandfather of Harry H. Cunningham, Samuel F. Cunningham, who was born in Ireland in 1770, and came from Conway, Ireland, to America about the year 1795, locating at Trenton, N. J. He was there married in 1800 to Mary Smith, and took up his residence near Trenton, N. J. In 1820 he came to Trenton, Butler county, Ohio, where he passed the rest of his life in farming. He was the father of six children: James;
Elmer D. Curryer. Since entering upon his active career as a Butler county agriculturist and land owner, Elmer D. Curryer has lent dignity and stability to his vocation, and thus has maintained and even added to the excellent reputation gained by the members of his family here. He is accounted one of the men of ability and resource who have made the most of their opportunities, and thus stands high in public opinion in Lemon township, where his property is located. Mr. Curryer was born on the old homestead, a part of which he now occupies, section 10, Lemon township, February 5, 1877, a son of Ira H. Curryer, a native of Shelby county, O., and a grandson of Daniel Curryer, also of that county. Ira H. Curryer came to Butler county as a young man, settling near Bethany, where he was married to Mary Ann Wyckoff, of Middletown. After their marriage they settled on the old Wyckoff place for one year and then moved to section 10, Lemon township, where they passed the remainder of their lives, the mother dying in November, 1906, aged sixty-six years, while the father passed away in January, 1911, aged sixty-eight years. Mr. Curryer erected a new residence and remodeled the barn, in addition to which he made many other valuable improvements. He was a breeder of Poland China hogs, Shorthorn cattle and a good grade of horses, and was considered a good judge of all kinds of live stock, as well as a business man of superior ability and sound integrity. In politics a staunch Democrat, he served on the election board, the school board and in township offices, and his public record was an excellent one. With his family, he attended the Presbyterian church at Blue Ball. Mr. and Mrs. Curryer were the parents of six children: Clara, who married George McLandless, of Indianapolis, Ind.; Nellie, the widow of Charles Harkrader, of Monroe, Ohio; Lulu, who married Judge Walter S. Harlan, of Hamilton; Elmer D.; Edith, who is single and resides at Hamilton; and Roy C., of Middletown, who married Mayme Barker. Elmer D. Curryer attended the public schools of Butler county, and after a preparatory course., with the expectation of following a professional career, entered the State university as a dental student. However, after one and one-half years, his health failed, and he was advised by his physician to return to the farm, a course which he forthwith pursued. He continued in business with his father until the elder man's death, at which time he bought fifty acres of the homestead, which he now has in a high state of cultivation. In addition to carrying on a general farming business, he is engaged extensively and successfully in the breeding of Holstein
Samuel O. Danner. Employed as a rougher at the American Rolling Mill company's plant since his arrival at Middletown, Samuel O. Danner has worked his way into the good graces of his company through industry and faithful performance of the duties of his position, and at the same time has gained the confidence and good will of a large number of the members of the army of workers who form the integral human cogs in this mighty industrial machine. Mr. Danner is a native of the city of Muncie, Ind., and was born March 4, 1875, a son of Thomas and Charlotte (George) Danner. His father, who was for many years an Indiana agriculturist, fought as a soldier during the Civil war, fighting for the Union as a member of an Indiana volunteer infantry regiment. After the war he returned to farming, but eventually became a foreman in rolling mills and was thus employed for a period of seventeen years. He finally retired on a well-earned competence, and he and his wife are now surrounded by every comfort in the evening of life. They have been the parents of six children: Samuel O., of this review; John J., a resident of Muncie, Ind.; Rose, who is the wife of Albert Bailey, of Middletown; William Danner; Mrs. Wm. Miles, and Mrs. Melvina Watkins, whose husband died during the influenza epidemic during the fall of 1918. Samuel O. Danner was reared on the home farm and received his training and education in an agricultural community, but the tilling of the soil did not appeal to him as a vocation in life, and he accordingly joined his father in working in the rolling mills. For some years he was employed at various places, but eventually located at Middletown, where he became a rougher in the rolling mills of the American Rolling Mill company, and has since been so employed. He is a steady and reliable workman and one who enjoys the respect of his employers and the friendship of his fellow workmen. Mr. Danner, some time after coming to Middletown, erected a comfortable and attractive home on Eleventh street, where he and his family reside in the midst of every modern comfort. Mr. Danner is a Baptist, and exercises his right of franchise as a supporter of the principles and candidates of the Republican party. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Knights of
Almond Davis, deceased, was born in Union township, Butler county, Oho, September 27, 1854, the son of Almond, sr., and Maria (Herr) Davis. Almond Davis was born in Vermont, son of Moody and Rebecca (Morgan) Davis. Moody Davis came with his family across the river in St. Clair township, where for a long time he operated a mill. Almond Davis, sr., lived in Liberty township, where he followed the vocation of a farmer. There were seven children in the family: Almond, jr., subject of this sketch; Elizabeth, Mrs. Elliott, now in Liberty township; Moody, in Liberty township; Mary, Mrs. Hughes; Joseph, in Milford township; Harry, in Liberty township, and Edward, deceased. Almond, jr., our subject, after completing the educational course provided through the district schools, entered upon his life work as a farmer. He was married in 1878, to Jennie Kerr, daughter of William and Salome (Heck) Kerr. William Kerr was a son of William and Emma (Ball) Kerr. William Kerr, sr., was born in Butler county, and was of Irish descent. Salome Heck, wife of William Kerr, jr., was the daughter of Jonas and Magdalena (Buck). He came from Pennsylvania and settled in Madison township, and Magdalena Buck was born in Madison township. Aaron Kerr, brother of William Kerr, was a soldier in the Civil war. After their marriage, William Kerr and his wife Salome lived in Madison township, and to them were born seven children: Jonas, now living in Cincinnati; Jennie, wife of the subject of this sketch; Eunice, Mrs. Young, Cleveland, Ohio; John, Hamilton, Ohio; Charles, Portsmouth, Ohio; Salome, unmarried, Louisville, Ky.; Ollie, Mrs. Sherman, Trenton, Ohio. The parents are buried in Miltonville cemetery. After their marriage, Almond, our subject, and his wife lived in Fairfield township, Butler county, Ohio, on the farm purchased by his father from Luther Hughes. Throughout his entire life he followed the vocation of farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born three children; Truman, who married Emma Tuley and is the father of five children - Clarabelle, John, Helen, Warren, Rebecca - lives in Union township; Mary, unmarried; Charles. The death of Mr. Davis occurred November 11, 1916. In life, he was an industrious, careful man, and through his good management and well-directed efforts, a very desirable and profitable farm of 158 acres was left to Mrs. Davis, on which the family continues to make their home. Members of the family
Dunham Davis, a prominent farmer of Oxford township, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, March 30, 1856. He is the son of Joshua and Elizabeth Davis. Joshua Davis was a native of New Jersey; his wife, Elizabeth, a native of Hamilton county, Ohio. Joshua Davis, came to Butler county in 1863 and located in Oxford. Here he built a business block which was a great improvement to the town at that time. He then retired and lived in Oxford until the time of his death, which occurred in 1884. His wife died in 1906. They were the parents of twelve children, five of whom are now living: Harriette, Catherine, Phoebe, Joshua and Dunham, the subject of this sketch. Dunham Davis received his education in Oxford. After leaving school he engaged in farming, retiling a farm from his father for three years. He then moved to Oxford and established a livery business where he remained but a short time. Desiring to return to farm life, he located on a farm of sixty-one acres in section 35, Oxford township, which he afterwards bought and where he now resides. He is a firm believer in fine-blooded stock, specializing in thoroughbred Duroc Jersey hogs and high grade horses. He has always taken an active interest in the affairs of his community, having been president of the Oxford township school board for thirteen years and is now township trustee, which office he has held for eight years. Mr. Davis was married in 1876 to Ella S. Rumple, daughter of William and Mary (Carr) Rumple. Three children were born to this union: Donald, Elizabeth, and William, now deceased. Donald answered the call of his country in the great World war, serving in the 324th Heavy Field Artillery, and seeing six months' service overseas.
Moody Davis. One of the best known and most esteemed of the retired farmers of Liberty township, Butler county, Ohio, is Moody Davis. He comes from a family of agriculturists and from the outset of his career demonstrated that he was of the type which is bound to succeed. Realizing that the young man who applies himself diligently and conscientiously can work his way to the top and become an influential figure in agriculture the same as in any other line of human endeavor he determined to follow in the footsteps of his father. Endowed with farseeing vision and of unquestioned honesty he soon became known as one of the promising young agriculturists of his community and his neighbors were pleased with his success. Although he has given up active farming after a long and useful career he still manifests much interest in affairs pertaining to the farm and his knowledge of intricate phases of planting, etc., is such that his counsel is frequently sought by his neighbors. His parents were among the early settlers of Butler county and located in that section when the extensive cultivated fields of today were vast prairies. Almond and Maria (Herr) Davis, the parents, were not only among the old settlers of Butler county,
Truman Davis. Farming, in all its branches, has been considered an excellent line of business since the beginning of civilization, but it has only been in comparatively recent years that it has been developed to a state of perfection and has taken its proper place among the occupations followed by mankind. In the present day of progress and enlightenment, the farmers are operating along scientific lines, and one in Butler county who has recognized the value accruing through the following of modern methods and the use of improved inventions is Truman Davis, the owner of a valuable and well-improved property in Union township, Mr. Davis was born in this township, May 22, 1878, a son of Almond and Jennie (Kerr) Davis, both of this county. The father, a member of an old family, spent his entire life as an agriculturist in Butler county, where he owned 160 acres of land, and died highly esteemed and respected. A complete review of his career and the history of the Davis family will be found elsewhere in this work in the sketch of Moody Davis. Of the children born to Almond and Jennie Davis, one is deceased, and Mary and Truman survive. Truman Davis received his education in a country school in Butler county, and secured his
James T. Davison, who, with his wife, owns a beautiful farm of 104 acres lying in Union township, Butler county, is a native of this township but has not spent all his life here. His birth took place May 10, 1863, son of John and Sarah (Carr) Davison. In early life the father was a farmer in Butler county, but when James T. was six years old he moved to St. Paul, Ind., where he found profitable work for a time in a stone quarry, but later returned to agricultural pursuits and was a farmer in Rush county, Ind., during the remainder of his life. Of his family of eight children there are six living: James T. being the only one in Butler county. He enjoyed public school advantages in Rush county, Ind., and began life there as a farmhand, subsequently renting land for ten years in Rush county, at the end of that period embarking in the lumber business. For sixteen years Mr. Davison continued to be interested in lumber, in 1900 coming back to his native county, where he has resided ever since and where he is now engaged in farming. In 1913, he married Anna, daughter of Fred and Nancy (Lemon) Wicke, who were prominent people in Union township for many years, the father of Mrs. Davison being a man of substantial fortune and a leader in public affairs in Union township. Mr. and Mrs. Davison are well known and highly esteemed. They are members of the Presbyterian church of West Chester. Although Mr. Davison has never accepted any political office for himself he loyally supports his friends when they believe, as he does, in the principles of the old Democratic party.
John C. Day. In the death of John C. Day, which occurred April 8, 1915, Butler county lost one of its public-spirited citizens, a man whose life had been an exemplary one, and who by his honest and upright manner had won the respect and esteem of all who knew him. Mr. Day was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ross township, where he left his descendants the heritage
John Peter Deitsch, the owner of a ninety-eight acre farm in Ross township, Butler county, Ohio, is one of the many highly productive farmers of this township. This property, formerly owned by his father, is considered one of the most desirable of its acreage in the township, as the soil is of the best and every consideration appears to be in its favor. Mr. Deitsch has had the greatest degree of success during the years that he has operated the farm and considering his past achievements the future could not be more reassuring. Born in Butler county, September 6, 1867, he was the oldest of three children of Peter and Frances (Zettler) Deitsch, the other two being Frank, deceased, and Frances. The father was a native of France and the mother came to Ohio from Germany, and during their long residence in Butler county were highly esteemed by their neighbors. After their marriage in Hamilton they settled on a farm in Ross township and were devout members of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic church of Hamilton. John Peter was educated in the grammar schools and also St. Joseph's parochial school at Hamilton, and was possessed of the vigor and stamina so characteristic of the farmer boy which has placed him among the influential agriculturists of Butler county. He married Miss Louisa Ast, daughter of Andrew and Mary (Kramer) Ast, who were widely and favorably known throughout Butler county. The other children besides Louisa were - Anna, Nellie, Carrie, Mamie, John and Jacob. The
Charles Dell. An instance of a man starting out in life with few visible assets, and through wise disposal of his opportunities transforming his condition into one of more than ordinary prosperity and influence, is found in the rise of Charles Dell, now a retired resident of Middletown, where for many years he was proprietor of the City Hotel. Mr. Dell .was born May 25, 1835, at Wildungen, Germany, a son of Morris and Margaret Dell, who passed their entire lives at that place. There were the following children in the family: Katie, who died in Europe; Frederick, a shoemaker by trade, who joined his brother at Middletown in 1861, and died at this place; Charles; Christian, a shoemaker, who died in Europe; and Charlotte, who also passed her life in Germany. Charles Dell attended the public schools of his native place, and as a young man learned the trade of shoemaker in his father's shop. He decided to seek his fortune in the United States, his arrival in this country being in the year 1854. In the fall of that year he left Philadelphia and located at Dayton, which city at that time had a population of but 10,000. While he knew his trade, he could not readily find employment and so accepted a place with B. F. Eltz, for whom he hauled wood, took care of the stock and performed odd jobs, for a salary of $5 per month. Later he found work at his trade at Franklin, where he remained one year, and then came to Middletown, where he worked at his vocation, being for some time employed by various firms here. He then again went to Franklin, where he worked for some time in the shoe shop of John Kaiser, but in 1866 again came to Middletown and was variously employed. During all this time his industry and thrift had enabled him to accumulate some capital, which, in 1876, he invested in the building of the City Hotel. During the next twenty-two years he acted as host of this establishment, which became one of the most popular in the city, being well patronized by the traveling public because of the excellence of its service and the geniality of its proprietor. When he retired from active work, Mr. Dell turned the management of the hotel over to his son, Frank, who conducted it until 1916. Mr. Dell still retains ownership of this property. Mr. Dell is now living in his comfortable home at 1024 East Third street, where he is enjoying the fruits of his many years of earnest and unremitting labor. He was married at Trenton, O., to Margaret Yeager, who was born in Germany, and they became the parents of nine children, as follows: Charles, engaged in the mining business at Los Angeles, Cal.; Mary, who married first Oliver Hall and second Edward Frisch and resides at Middletown; George, deceased, who was a
Alfred Demoret, veteran of the Civil war, one of the leading citizens of the thriving community of Venice, and formerly a successful and prominent agriculturist in the vicinity of that place, belongs to an old and honored family, and one whose members have distinguished themselves in various avenues of life's activities. He was born on a farm in Ross township, Butler county, Ohio, being a son of Joseph and Mary (Cou1ey) Demoret, and a grandson of Nicholas Demoret. Nicholas Demoret was born in France, and as a youth emigrated to America, where not long afterward he joined Gen. "Mad Anthony" Wayne in one of his expeditions against the Indians. He was married in Pennsylvania to Lydia Bennett, and following their union they came down the Ohio river on a flatboat and took up their residence at Cincinnati. In 1815 they removed to Butler county, where they spent the rest of their lives on a farm, and when they died were laid to rest in the cemetery at Venice. They were the parents of the following children: Louis, Samuel, John, Bartholomew, James K., Joseph, Lydia, Jane and Mary. Joseph Demoret was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, and following his marriage to Mary Couley settled two and one-half miles northwest of Venice, where both rounded out long, useful and honorable careers and died with the respect and esteem of their townspeople. They were the parents of William, who served during the Civil war, in the Army of the Cumberland, as a private in Company F, 93d Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Capt. Robert Joyce, Col. Charles Anderson; Alfred, of this notice; Louis; James; Samuel; Joseph E.; Mary E. Alfred Demoret was born February 7, 1843, and received a public school education in Butler county. He was reared on the home farm and was employed in assisting his father when the Civil war came on, and, with his brother, William, and his cousin, Ellis N., a son of James K. Demoret, he enlisted in Company F, 93d Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Demoret saw two years and ten months of active service with this regiment, which was attached to the Army of the Cumberland and engaged in battles in Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia. Among his battles were Stone River, Chickamauga, Liberty Gap, Orchard Knob, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Pickett's Mills, Peach-tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Franklin and Nashville, and June 8, 1865, the war being over, the brave and gallant young soldier received his honorable discharge and was mustered out of the service. Resuming the
J. A. Deneen. Butler county is fortunate in having as superintendent of the county infirmary and farm the present efficient and popular incumbent, whose executive ability and industrial experience admirably fortify him for the manifold responsibilities that rest upon him in connection with the farm operations and the proper care of the unfortunate wards of the well ordered institution. The official who holds this position is Mr. Deneen, and his executive loyalty is undoubtedly augmented by the fact that he is a native son of Butler county and takes deep interest in all things touching its welfare. The farm which is now owned by the county and utilized for the infirmary is the birth place of Mr. Deneen himself, who was born the 31st of March, 1866, at the time of his father's administration. The Deneen family has long been one of prominence and influence in Butler county, and on other pages of this work are given adequate data concerning its history, specially in the sketch dedicated to Samuel Deneen. He whose name introduces this review received his youthful education in the public schools of Fairfield and Liberty townships, with supplementary discipline in the high school at Monroe. After leaving school he was engaged in farming in Liberty township, and there after he conducted successful operations as an agriculturist and stock grower in Liberty township, where he at one time farmed 265 acres. During the course of his independent career as a farmer
Lawrence Deneen, one of the best known stockmen of Ohio, was born at Maud, O., Butler county, Ohio, September 29, 1895. He is a son of Jacob Deneen, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this work. He received his early education at Monroe, Ohio, and after being graduated from the high school there was matriculated at Ohio State university at Columbus. He devoted his entire time at college to the agricultural course, receiving the degree of B. S. of agriculture in 1917. His devotion to science in nowise impaired his social popularity; he was a member of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and was elected president and secretary of his class in his junior year. After the completion of his college career he returned to his father's farm and is now actively engaged in the management of that 154-acre property. He has attained unusual success in the breeding of thoroughbred Jersey cattle, Hampshiredown sheep, and Poland China hogs. He has exhibited with hi father in county fairs in the States of Ohio, Indiana and Michigan and in the years 1916, 1917, 1918 won the Sweepstake Prize at Hamilton with his Jersey cattle. Mr. Deneen was married in 1911 to Jean, a daughter of Edward and Mary Sample of Washington, Pa.,
Samuel Deneen, a retired farmer of Monroe, and one of the substantial men of Butler county, was formerly active in agricultural matters, and for fourteen years served as superintendent of the Butler County infirmary. He was born in Riley township, Butler county, O., January 23, 1831, a son of Alexander and Martha (Beyers) Deneen, and grandson of James and Mary (Cresswell) Deneen, natives of Pennsylvania, who, in 1800, came from their native state to Cincinnati, O., making the trip down the Ohio river in a flatboat. At that time Cincinnati was but a small settlement, and for five years they were engaged in farming there, in what is now the very center of the business portion of the city. In 1805 they moved to Riley township, Butler county, where James Deneen secured a section of government land, all of which was totally uncultivated, and he at once went to work to clear and develop it. On this land he erected a little log cabin and he and his wife went through many experiences and suffered from the hardships naturally attendant upon pioneer life. Upon one occasion his wife set out for a neighbor's, some distance from home, to try and secure her help in a proposed job, for in those days the pioneers were willing to assist each other in all their work. A storm came up, and the poor lady lost her way, and wandered about all night in the snow. Her feet were badly frozen, and she was attacked by the wolves. Probably she never forgot her experiences during the remainder of her life. James Deneen was a soldier during the American Revolution and he lived to be eighty-three years of age. Both he and his wife were consistent members of the Presbyterian church. Their children were as follows: Eliza, Betsy, Ann, an unnamed infant, Hettie and Alexander. Alexander Deneen was born January 1, 1800, in Pennsylvania, and was an infant when his parents brought him to Cincinnati, O., and only five years old when they arrived in Riley township. In those early days there were but few schools, and they were located long distances apart. Alexander Deneen had to walk three miles each way in order to secure the little schooling that came his way, but he made the most of his opportunities, and developed into a practical, well-informed man. After his marriage, he located on his father's homestead, and lived on it until his death, which occurred when he was eighty-four years old from typhoid fever. His wife died in 1864, aged fifty-eight years, a devout member of the Presbyterian church. Politically Alexander Deneen was a Democrat. He and Mrs. Deneen had the following children: Mary Jane, who died at the age of two years; James, who was a farmer, is deceased; Martha Ann, who married Malcolm Peters; Samuel, whose name heads this review; Mary J., a widow who lives at Oxford, O., was married (first) to Elisha London, and (second) to Alonzo Warren; John, who was a farmer, is deceased; Elizabeth, who married Hiram Linley, is deceased, and so is her husband; Margaret, who married Isaac Wilson, lives at Chicago, Ill.; William,
D. Frank Dick. During the period that D. Frank Dick has been engaged in the real estate business at Hamilton, he has been one of the potent forces in the upbuilding of the city and is credited with having been instrumental in the development of several fine residential sections. When he first took up this business, several sections of the city were restricted in area and population, but gave promise of attaining a position of importance, and Mr. Dick, who was possessed of an unusual amount of energy, had a large part in the city's growth. His career as a successful realty man has been made the more satisfactory through the fact that he is building
John Wilson Dick. In enumerating the wide-awake agriculturists of Hanover township mention must be made of John Wilson Dick. He is widely and favorably known by the business interests as well as agriculturists of Butler county and enjoys the esteem of all. He was born in Ross township, Butler county, the son of Samuel and Isabelle (Parks) Dick. He was educated in the schools of the township and on February 20, 1884, married Emma F. Ormston, daughter of David and Nancy (Stone) Ormston. Thomas Stone,
Thomas J. Dickey was born in Madison township, Butler county, 1868. His parents were Samuel and Elizabeth Dickey, both natives of this county, the father having been engaged in the pursuits of agriculture during the major portion of his life. After he had acquired sufficient means to enable him to give up this arduous life he removed to West Middletown, Ohio, where he served as justice of the peace for a number of years. He and his wife were the parents of six children of whom Thomas J. Dickey is the only one living in this county. He attended the public schools of his native county and then took up farming with his father until the time of his marriage when he rented a farm in Madison township for three years. At the expiration of this period he moved to a farm near Poast Town where he resided for four years, thence locating in Warren county, farming there till February, 1918. In that month he took over the 220-acre Kyle farm in Liberty township which he is rapidly improving to take its place among the leading farms of that section. Socially he is prominent in the community and is a well-known member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically he adheres to the Jeffersonian tradition although he has never cared to become a candidate for public office. On December 19, 1894, Mr. Dickey was united in marriage to Maud, daughter of James Knox, and their union has been blessed by two children: Glynn, who died August, 1917, and Mildred still residing at home.
H. Robert Dilg, one of the native sons of Hamilton, commenced his career in a modest position and today is accounted one of the city's influential citizens, in his capacity as treasurer of the Black-Clawson company. Mr. Dilg was born at Hamilton, a son of Frederick and Mary (Kline) Dilg, natives of Ohio, the former of Cincinnati and the latter of Hamilton. The father was a pioneer merchant of Hamilton, and a man highly respected and esteemed, both because of his upright life and absolute integrity, and because of his record as a soldier during the Civil war, in which he fought bravely as a member of an Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He and his wife were the parents of six children: Catherine, Clara, Louise, Margaret, Mary and H. Robert. H. Robert Dilg received a public school education, and after graduating from high school became a bookkeeper
Albert Dimmack. From the time of its inception, in 1900, until his resignation in 1919, Albert Dimmack was employed by the American Rolling mill in the capacity of roller and in this period established a reputation for integrity, honorable dealing, industry and fidelity that has since assisted him greatly in making a success of his venture as proprietor of a grocery at Middletown. In the commercial life of the city of his adoption, he has already made his influence and ability felt, and the high standing which he enjoyed in the confidence of his fellow-workers in his former occupation, is due to be duplicated in his new avenue of activity. Mr. Dimmack was born at Bilston, Staffordshire, England, March 24, 1877, a son of Ephraim and Harriet (Bucknall) Dimmack, the latter of whom is living at Washington, Pa., where the father died. His maternal grandparents were George and Mary (Clark) Bucknall, natives of France. In the family were the following children: Sallie, who died in infancy; Albert, of this notice; Anna, who is the wife of S. A. Lowrey, of Washington, Pa.; Ephraim, of Middletown; Ernest D., of Los Angeles, Calif.; Frank, of Wheeling, W. Va.; Amy, of Wheeling, W. Va.; Harriet, of Los Angeles, Calif.; and Arthur, of Washington, Pa. The education of Albert Dimmack was obtained in the Springfield Academy of Bilston, England, and he was still a young man when he emigrated to the United States to work at his trade. In 1900, at the time of the opening of the American Rolling mill he came to Middletown and became one of this concern's first employees here, and did not sever his connection until 1918, when he bought his present business and commenced his career as a grocer. As a naturally clever man of business, he has already made a good start in his venture, and has a well-stocked, up-to-date and attractive establishment at the corner of Sixth street and Curtis avenue, where he is enjoying an excellent patronage. In addition, he is the owner of a fine home on Curtis avenue and is interested in other property at Middletown. He is a self-made man in all that the word implies, as when he entered upon his career he had naught but his trade, his ambition and his determination to assist him and from a modest start has worked his way to prosperity and business standing. Mr. Dimmack is a clever and cultured Englishman, with a proper and intelligent appreciation of the higher things of life, as will be recognized by a visit to his home. He is a popular member
William S. Diver. The proprietor of Midland Farm, William S. Diver, has been the owner of this Butler county property since 1902, prior to which time he was variously engaged as a farmer and carpenter. In the development of his present farm, which is located three and one-half miles northwest of Middletown, on the Jacksonboro & Franklin road, he has brought into play native ability, industry, and modern ideas, with the result that he has become one of the prosperous agriculturists of Madison township. Mr. Diver was born in Riley township, Butler county, March 31, 1862, a son of Jacob and Emma (Rish) Diver. His father was born at Seven Mile, O., a son of Nicholas Diver, of Wittenburg, Germany, who married a Miss Swope and came to the United States in 1845, settling west of Hamilton, O., where he followed farming, and where both he and Mrs. Diver passed away. They were the parents of nine children, of whom the following survive: Samuel, of Millville; Jacob; Margaret, who married George Lebrick of Miamisburg, O.; Elizabeth, the widow of Jacob Falkenstein, of Millville; and Eliza, the wife of Joseph Weis, of Hamilton. Jacob Diver was given a common school education, and in early life was a shoemaker. Later he engaged in farming, and finally entered business affairs as a grain dealer and mill operator of Middletown, where he now makes his home. He has resided and carried on operations also at Bunker Hill, Seven Mile, West Elkton and other points, is well and favorably known as a business man and a citizen, and a review of his career will be found elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Diver, who was a native of Germany, died in 1894, in the faith of the Reformed church of which her husband is a member. They were the parents of seven children: William S.; Charles E., an elevator operator of Middletown, a sketch of whom will be found in this work; George, whose death occurred in boyhood; Albert C., of Middletown; Frank O., a mill owner of Middletown, whose sketch will be found in this publication; Elizabeth, the widow of Riley Schenck, who resides with her father; and Minnie, the wife of Hugh Ayers, of Middletown. William S. Diver was educated in the local schools and resided under the parental roof until his marriage, September 11, 1884, to Miss Nettie Marshall, who was born near Middletown, and daughter of Isaac and Eleanor (Doty) Marshall. Isaac was the only son of Henry and Rachel (Newland) Marshall, the latter of Dayton and the former of near Middletown, and Henry was a son of James Marshall, of New Jersey, who came to Ohio in 1800 and settled east of Middletown, where
Joseph W. Doron. Among the realty operators of Hamilton, one who has long been a leader in his field and who has contributed largely to the upbuilding of the community and the attracting of new interests and industries thereto, is Joseph W. Doron. He has been a resident of Hamilton for more than thirty years, and for the greater part of this time has been connected with the real estate business, having built up an excellent reputation through his extensive operations and the manner in which he has directed his transactions. Mr. Doron was born in Chesterfield, N. J., a son of Charles S. and Sarah (Bell) Doron, natives of Mount Holly, N. J. His father, who was a manufacturer of leather goods, spent his entire life in New Jersey, where he died in 1890, and Joseph W. Doron was the only one of the family to locate in Butler county, Ohio. After securing his education in the public schools of his native state, Mr. Doron became a traveling salesman, with headquarters at New York, from which city he traveled on the road for a big cloth manufacturing house for twenty-seven years. In 1888 he came to Hamilton, continuing to travel for several years, and in 1889 erected his handsome home at No. 329 North C street, this being the second house built on Prospect hill. This land was originally owned by Stephen Hughes and later by Asa Shuler, from whom Mr. Doron purchased the entire addition of thirty-five lots, of which he has built on and sold the whole number with the exception of five. In 1889 Mr. Doron was married at Hamilton to Ellen, daughter of Asa and Mary (Sorber) Shuler, natives of Pennsylvania who came early to Hamilton, where Mr. Shuler was one of the founders of the Shuler & Benninghofen plant. Mr. Shuler was born August 15, 1823, the second son of Samuel and Susanna (Weise) Shuler. In 1847 he came to Hamilton, and December 25, 1852 was married to Mary Sorber, also born in Lehigh county, Pa., July 5, 1831. Mr. Shuler died May 12, 1895, and was followed to the grave by his widow December 15, 1898. They were the parents of seven children: Angeline, born February 10, 1854, who married Harry Lashhorn, of Hamilton; James Buchanan, born August 2, 1856, who died September 18, 1857; Charles Adam, born June 23, 1858; William Baron, born February 15,1860, who died January 1,1884; Albert, born August 7,1862, who died February 5, 1870; Ellen Susan, born November 2, 1866; and May, born September 9,1873, who is the wife of Dr. James A. Dale, a practising physician of Nashville, Tenn. After his marriage, Mr. Doron gave up the road and settled down to the real estate business, in which he has been engaged with great success ever since. He deals extensively in property at Hamilton as a builder and developer, and was the builder of the Dorona flats, in 1907, one of the large and important apartment buildings of Hamilton. Also, he is heavily interested in real estate at Topeka, Kans., where he has closed some heavy transactions, and where he laid out and sold J. W. Doron's Walnut Park addition. He is widely and favorably known in business circles and occupies an excellent position in the confidence of
James J. Dorsey, one of the best known farmers of Liberty township is of good Irish stock, being the son of James and Ellen (Kelly) Dorsey, both of whom were born in the Emerald Isle. James Dorsey, sr., the father of the subject of this sketch, became discontented with conditions in his own country and came to America, the land of commerce. Realizing that his province lay in the realm of agriculture, he immediately entered upon the career of a farmer, hiring out by the month. He applied himself so conscientiously to the tasks set him that his services soon came into great demand in his community, and by the exercise of unusual thrift he was enabled to procure a farm as a renter before he had reached the prime of life. He was successful in amassing sufficient capital to retire some years before his death. He met and married his wife in this country and to them were born seven children: Mary, Kate, Thomas, Sarah, Ella, Elizabeth and James J., with whom we are now concerned. Young James followed the regular curriculum in the public schools of Butler county; this finished, he went into farming with his father:
Joseph C. Doty. A promoter of industry, for many years identified with business ventures at Middletown, a public-spirited citizen and one of the most efficient officials his community has known, the late Joseph C. Doty was one of the interesting and attractive personalities who in the past lent worth and distinction to his community and who drew from its opportunities and environment the essentials of a broad and public-spirited life. Mr. Doty was born at Middletown, November 3, 1847, a son of Daniel C. and Catherine (Crane) Doty, the latter of New Jersey. His father was one of the early settlers of the Middletown community, where he owned a large tract of land, and in the early days, in addition to farming, floated on the Mississippi river and also carried on a large business in the manufacture of brick. He was twice married, and his children
J. L. Douglass, the secretary of the H. S. Coulter Transfer company, of Oxford, was born in Oxford township, a son of Isaiah an Anna (Patterson) Douglass, on May 21, 1864. Isaiah Douglass, farmer of Oxford township, was the father of five children: J. L Elizabeth, deceased; Zada; S. L., and W. C. Douglass. Zada married Cliff Schultz, of College Corner. S. L. Douglass resides at
Charles M. Downey. Prominent among the lives and energetic citizens of Middletown, Charles M. Downey is worthy of mention. Since coming to this city, in 1911, he has been identified with the American Rolling Mill plant, where he is now occupied as a roller, and is accounted one of the reliable and trustworthy employees of this great concern. He was born at Martins Ferry, Ohio, a son of Robert and Julia (Dunigan) Downey. His maternal grandparents were Bridget Lynch and Bryan Dunigan. His parents were natives of Ireland. The father came to the United States when twelve years of age and mother when a small child, and located in the vicinity of Wheeling, W. Va. Removing then to Martins Ferry, Ohio, Robert Downey established himself in the hardware and tinware business, with which he was connected until his death, September 12, 1906. He was a capable and highly respected business man, and a veteran of the Civil war, having been a sergeant in the 1st West Virginia Infantry. Following the death of her husband, Mrs. Robert Downey came to Middletown, where she now resides at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alice Leasure. Charles M. Downey was educated in the public schools of Martins Ferry, was reared in that community, and there learned his trade. Likewise he took a prominent part in civic affairs, and became a leader of the Republican party, being elected a member of the city council in which he served for years. During the early days he was also a member of the Independent Hose company, of Martins Ferry. This famous organization, which
Samuel Dowrey, jr., an employee of the American Rolling Mill company, is a son of Samuel and Anna (Blevens) Dowrey, and was born in Hamilton, Ohio, March 3, 1890. His parents are still living, and he has two brothers, both in Ohio: Glenn, in Hamilton, and Donald, in Middletown. He was married October 1, 1908, to Emma Jane Cheadle, daughter of Daniel W., and Mayme (Nelson) Cheadle, who are still living and are parents of three other children: Margaret Louise, Andrew and Nellie, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Dowrey have no children. For the past fifteen years, Mr. Dowrey has been an open hearth charging machine operator for the American Rolling Mill company. He is a man of much versatility and possesses in a marked degree both poetical ability and inventive genius. Many of his poems have appeared in the American Rolling Mill company bulletin, and among his inventions are a stopper rod and a hand soap called "Swat." Mr. Dowrey purchased a magnificent stucco house on Queen street which is the family home, and in which he takes great delight. He is a member of the United Brethren church, and announces himself politically as a liberal.
William C. Dowty. There has been no one man connected with the Hamilton Fire department to which the city is more indebted for practical and permanent improvements than to William C. Dowty, chief of the department from 1905 until his retirement in 1917, and a member of this body of fire-fighters for a period of thirty-eight years. He won promotion to the head of his department both because of his fearlessness in the line of duty and his executive ability and his earnestness, honesty and absolute fidelity retained him
Martin Druck, a leading citizen of Hanover township and or of the representative and honored residents of the Hamilton community, has been identified with the agricultural and business interests of this section for a number of years. He was born at Millville, Butler county, Ohio, September 27, 1872, a son of John and Mary (Denzler) Druck. His paternal grandfather, Charles Druck,
William Pierre DuChemin, who is foreman of the culvert department of the American Rolling mill at Middletown, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, a son of John William and Margaret (Rowland) DuChemin, and a descendant of an old and honorable French family. His father, who was born in France, emigrated to the United States in young manhood, prior to the Civil war, in which struggle he fought three years and nine months as a soldier of the Union and advanced to the rank of captain. Following the close of the war he located at Cincinnati, where he married Margaret Rowland, who died in 1883, Mr. DuChemin surviving her until 1901. There were two children in the family: William Pierre, of this notice; and Elizabeth, the widow of the late Dr. Glenn Miller, a practising physician of Oklahoma until his recent death. William P. DuChemin received his education in the public schools of Cincinnati, where he also learned his trade, and about 1900 came to Middletown, at the opening of the American Rolling mill. He was skilled at his vocation, steady in his work, reliable and trustworthy in the performance of his duties and always industrious, and gradually earned promotion to the position of foreman of the culvert department, a position which he has held for the past ten years. As a voter he supports Republican candidates and principles, and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. Mr. DuChemin married Carrie, daughter of Ezra Clark and Kate (Hirsch) Hinkle, and to this union there
Louis Duemer. Of the men who now occupy positions of importance in the manufacturing world of Hamilton, few have better claims to the title of self-made man than has Louis Duemer, president of Louis Duemer & Sons. When he arrived in this country as a young man, he was possessed of little capital save that represented by his earnest determination and boundless ambition, and his willingness to work at whatever honorable occupation presented itself. From this modest beginning he has worked his way to the head of an important industry which is recognized as a leading factor in the field of pattern making and furnace manufacturing. Mr. Duemer was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1856, a son of J. and Sophia Duemer. His education was of the public school variety and three year spent in the Free Trades school at the City of Hamburg, and until he was twenty-five years of age he lived in his native place, being variously employed. Being of an ambitious nature, and not seeing any great future ahead of him, he came to the United States in 1881, and at once choosing Hamilton as the field for his success, secure employment at the Shortman & Blum Furniture factory. There he worked at his trade of cabinet maker for one year and subsequently was employed as a pattern maker by the Long & Allstatter company, and later by the Niles Tool works, the Gordon Maxwell Pump company and the Estate Stove works. While employed at the latter plant he made patterns for one of the first gas stoves in the United States. Mr. Duemer embarked in business on his own account in 1890, and by 1900 found it necessary to build the present modern plant on Central avenue, where a force of men of the highest skill are given employment in making patterns and manufacturing furnaces. In the latter connection Mr. Duemer has made patterns for some of the largest stove and furnace manufacturers in the country, and many of the best stoves and ranges used in a large part of this country were designed by him. A specialty of the company is the Hamilton All-Cast Double Radiator Furnace, for pipe or pipeless systems. For nearly thirty years the firm of Louis Duemer & Sons has successfully designed and built patterns for furnace heaters, coal, gas and wood stoves and ranges, and the specialty referred to is the result of long years of experience and specialized study. The furnaces of this company are built on scientific and practical principles, and careful attention has been given to the different parts, so as to make them of such shape and form as adapted to get the greatest possible efficiency and durability. M Duemer is widely known in business circles as a man of the highest principles and strictest integrity, and in his long career has never
Charles J. Duersch, who, with his brother, William, manages the large coal concern established by their father, at 448 Main street, Hamilton, is one of the alert business men of this city. The father, Adolph Duersch, was born in Germany, where he was married to Friedricka Brooks, also a native of Germany. Leaving Germany, they came to the United States, and arrived here before the close of the Civil war. Like so many of his countrymen during that trying period in America's history, Adolph Duersch became a soldier in the Union army, and served his adopted country faithfully until peace was declared. A tanner by trade, Adolph Duersch found remunerative employment at it until 1885, when he founded the coal business at Hamilton, now carried on by his sons, Charles J. and William, having himself passed away some years ago. At one time Adolph Duersch served as a member of the board of equalization of Hamilton, and was valued by his associates on it .because of his sound judgment and sincere honesty. He and his wife had seven children, of whom six survive, namely: Mary, Minnie and Katie, all of whom reside with their widowed mother at Hamilton; William, who married and has three children, and is now living at Hamilton; George J., who married Ida Pierson, has one child, and also lives at Hamilton; and Charles J., whose name heads this review. Charles J. Duersch was reared at Hamilton and attended its schools, as did his brothers and sisters. June 28, 1916, he was united in marriage with Miss Emma Clements, a daughter of J. W. Clements, who lives on Ross avenue, Hamilton. Mr. and Mrs. Duersch attend the Methodist Episcopal church. He votes the Democratic ticket. The fraternal affiliations of Mr. Duersch are with the Elks and Eagles. It has been the policy of the two brothers to carry out their father's plans for the management of the business into which he put so much of his own individuality, and their customers have continued with them as they have realized that the sons intend to live up to the standards established by the elder man. The younger men are dependable citizens, who are held in high esteem at Hamilton and in the county, and they deserve their prosperity for it is founded upon honest dealing, prompt service and fair methods, and having won the confidence of their community, they are retaining it in a marked degree.
George J. Duersch. Since 1897 George J. Duersch has contributed to the commercial equipment of Hamilton a sound and substantial bicycle and electrical business, which was founded by him and which has developed consistently under his able direction. Mr. Duersch has won his success in his native city, for he was born at Hamilton, October 23, 1878, a son of Adolph and Friedricka (Brooks) Duersch. His father, born in Germany and there educated,
John F. Duffield is one of the large landholders of Butler county and a dealer in real estate and his status as a business man and, citizen is typical of the material upon which his business rests and which has contributed materially to his success as a realty operator at Somerville. Mr. Duffield was born on a farm in Somers township, Preble county, Ohio, September 9, 1848, a son of James and Jane (McClung) Duffield. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, who was educated in the public schools and came to Ohio as a young man, settling at a location northeast of Collinsville after his marriage, his wife being a native of near Millville, this state. When he made his start in life his cash capital consisted of but fifty cents, to which was added his great ambition and determination. After renting land for several years, he went to Preble county,
John W. Durrough, prominent in Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio, as brick manufacturer, real estate and one time police magistrate, who died at that place March 4, 1911, was sincerely mourned. The remains were laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery, Hamilton, the Rev. A. B. Austin officiating. He was born June 27, 1850, a son of Stephen and Abagialf Durrough, who were old and respected residents of Ohio and Butler county. The father was one of the old-time well-builders of Hamilton and a man who understood thoroughly every phase of his business. His first venture in the business world, and one which proved his determined nature, was that of a brick manufacturer in Hamilton, and from the outset he met with success. Previous to starting in business for himself he had learned the brick making trade at the Leffler brick yard. His brick yard covered four acres of land on West Second street, Hamilton. Later he purchased the brick business of his brother and conducted this for about ten years. He became impressed with the possibilities of contracting and engaged in this line, also giving attention to real
Henry S. Earhart. Among the best known, most enterprising and highly regarded agriculturists of Oxford township, Butler county, Ohio, is Mr. H. S. Earhart, who owns sixty-seven and one-half acres of the most productive farming land in that section of the state. He is typical of the Ohio farmer, being energetic and keeping pace with the times and the success that he has had with his land has been well merited. Mr. Earhart was born in Preble county, Ohio, the eldest son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Search) Earhart. There were thirteen children. He attended school at Jericho and later went to Kansas with his brother-in-law. In 1870 he returned to Ohio and after a short period departed for Casey, Ill., where he engaged ill the hardware business for three years with Richard Young as partner. He realized that new and profitable opportunities awaited him in the farming industry and accordingly returned to Butler county to occupy the large and promising tract of land which has since proved so productive. Benjamin Earhart was born in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1821. He witnessed the transformation of thousands of acres of prairie land into fertile farms and took an active interest in furthering the agricultural prestige of this great state and accordingly during his time was known as one of the most enterprising farmers of his section. Mrs. Earhart was born in Casey, Clark county, Ill. His parents were early settlers, of Scotch-Irish descent and were of Revolutionary and 1812 War stock. Henry Earhart married Maggie Strong of Clark county, Ill., in 1876, and to them were born six children: James, Daisy, Sina, Maud, Jeannette and Eunice. In addition to farming Mr. Earhart has found time to engage in other activities which have proved decidedly profitable. In politics Mr. Earhart is a Democrat and in religion a Methodist. During the World war he exerted himself to the utmost in the various activities of his community which would aid Uncle Sam and the allies in making the world safe for democracy
Charles F. Early. Located on the West Middletown and Poast Town road in Butler county is found the highly improved and fertile farm belonging to Charles F. Early, one of the progressive and practical agriculturists of the Miami valley. This worthy and enterprising citizen has passed his entire life in this region, having been born at Springboro, Warren county, Ohio, a son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Pence) Early. The Early family is well known in the Miami valley, having come during pioneer days from Virginia to this part of Ohio, where its members have been helpful factors in the development of what has become a prosperous and highly cultured region, and have controlled large tracts of land. There were four children in the family of Isaac and Elizabeth Early: Howard; Will; Charles F.; and Cora, who married E. A. Wellbaum, of Miamisburg. Charles F. Early attended the public schools of Warren county and was later sent to the celebrated Miami Valley college, where he was a student two terms, at Springboro. He began his independent career as a farmer, and has worked his way to the management of l50 acres of land, which formerly comprised the Temple Barklow farm. This he conducts for general farming purposes, operating a dairy business in connection with a herd of splendid Holstein cattle. He has a splendid set of buildings, including a handsome home, which has been completely remodeled since Mr. Early took over the management, and which is furnished in a manner appropriate to the tastes of a cultured and well-educated family. Mr. Early is a Democrat, but has been only a voter and not a politician or office seeker. With his family, he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. He has succeeded in his career, not only as a farmer who has made his labors return him a splendid profit for his investment, but as a man who has established an excellent reputation in business circles and as a citizen who has won and held public esteem because of the stand he has taken on questions of public and community importance. January 6, 1885, Mr. Early was united in marriage with Margaret Catherine, daughter of Ambrose and Margaret (Bean) Dearth, and to this union there have been born two sons: Ernest R., who married Marie Temple, daughter of Albert, and Louise Speidel Temple; and Warren, who resides with his parents. Mrs. Early had seven brothers and sisters: Louella; Newton; Mary E., who married L. E. Somers, of Greenville, Ohio; Henry S., of Springboro, Ohio; Anna, deceased; Clement, of Centerville, Ohio; Keturah, who married William Rickard and now lives in California. Mrs. Early's great-grandfather, Edward Dearth, married Elizabeth Roberts, the former a native of Fayette county, Pa., and the latter of Virginia. Edward Dearth was a minister of the Christian faith who did not believe in ministers receiving remuneration for their services, and whose labors therefore were always without pay. The grandparents of Mrs. Early were Samuel and Keturah (Townsend) Dearth, natives of Pennsylvania, who migrated to Ohio and located in Warren county in 1798. They were among the true pioneers of the Miami valley,
James Eberhart. The late James Eberhart, who, if anyone ever deserved the appellation of self-made man, was fully entitled to that characterization, and who was long a conspicuous figure in the agricultural annals of Butler county, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1828. He was a son of Frederick Eberhart, also a native of the Keystone state, who came to Ohio as an early settler, and after a short stay at Miltonville located at Blue Ball, where he continued to be engaged in farming during the rest of his life. He and his wife were the parents of thirteen children, of whom but two survive: Sophia, the widow of B. Carr, of Middletown; and Mrs. Mary Van Rutan, of Chicago, Ill. James Eberhart attended the public schools of Trenton, but his opportunities for obtaining an education were limited, as on account of the expense incident to the maintenance of so large a family, he found it necessary to assist his parents by working diligently, and a large part of his youth was passed in assisting to clear the home farm. He lived at home until the time of his marriage, February 2, 1871, to Mrs. Lucinda Helwig, the widow of Henry Helwig and a daughter of Abe and Elizabeth Galloway, natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. Galloway came to Ohio as a small boy, his parents settling near Hamilton or Seven Mile, and later going to Marshall, Ill., where they secured land and passed the rest of their lives in farming. Mr. Galloway was a Democrat, a good citizen and a kind father. His wife was a devout member of the old school Baptist church, and their ten children were reared in that faith: Mrs. Eberhart; John, Rhoda, William, Martin and Thomas, all residents of Illinois; Jackson, of Lewisville, Ind.; Mary Ann, who lives in the West; and Hannah and Elizabeth, who are deceased. By her first marriage, Mrs. Eberhart has two children: William Helwig, who for the past seven years has been a railroad engineer in South America; and Elizabeth, the wife of Leander Scheideler, who was a school teacher of Hamilton, O., and who died June 1, 1919, and was buried at Hamilton. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Scheideler: Professor William, of Oxford university, and James Leslie, a druggist of Detroit, Mich. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Eberhart purchased a farm of 170 acres near Blue Ball, which they proceeded to develop and on which they made numerous improvements. In 1893 they retired from active labor and took up their residence at Middletown, where they became highly esteemed among the people of the community. It was their practice to spend the winters at Lake Worth, Fla., and it was on one of these trips that the death of Mr. Eberhart occurred, in February, 1917, when he had reached the advanced age of eighty-nine years. Mr. Eberhart was a Republican in politics, and although never an aspirant for official position, always took an intelligent and lively interest in public affairs and current events. He was a man of acute mental powers, keen perception, sound judgment and indomitable
Marcus Eck. From the year 1900 until his death, in April, 1916, the late Marcus Eck was identified with the farming interests of Madison township, Butler county, and during this time definitely established the fact that his years of connection with other ventures had not made it impossible for him to successfully follow the vocation of his youth. Mr. Eck was born in Madison township, September 12, 1859, a son of Levi and Eliza (Gingrich) Eck. His father, who was both June 14, 1827, near Tarrytown, Ind., was an early settler of Butler county, locating on the Joshua Fall farm, and later purchased the farm in section 20, Madison township, on which the remainder of his life was passed. He married Eliza Gingrich, and they became the parents of eight children: Sylvanus, of Detroit, Mich.; Thaddeus, of Hamilton, O.; Titus, deceased; Marcus, deceased; Cornelius, Ferdinand, Emma, the wife of George Wood, of Dayton; and Ella, the wife of Wesley Hulf, of Indianapolis, Ind. Marcus Eck was given good educational advantages in his youth, attending the home schools as well as those of Lebanon, O., and Hartsville, Ind., and was reared on his father's farm. He early displayed a love for horses, and in this connection eventually went to Kentucky, where for some years he had charge of large trotting horse stables. The ill health of his father caused him to return to Madison township, in 1900, to take charge of the farm, and at the elder man's death, in September, 1905, he became its owner. He successfully managed its operation until his own death in April, 1916. Mr. Eck was a Republican in politics, and his religious connection was with the United Brethren church. He had a wide acquaintance in the community and was respected and esteemed as a man of integrity and a good citizen. Mr. Eck was married near Walton, Ky., November 4, 1886, to Miss Alice Jeffries, who was born near Independence, Ky., a daughter of Jesse and Mary (Rector) Jeffries, natives of the same community, where Mr. Jeffries followed farming until his death at the age of sixty years. Mr. and Mrs. Eck became the parents of seven children: Jessie, a graduate trained nurse of Battle Creek, Mich., who spent one year in the Oberlin (Ohio) Hospital in 1914, and a like period with Doctor Hatcke, of Dayton, and now the wife of W. P. Channon, of Middletown, O.; Mary, who is engaged in the millinery business there; Ella, a dietician in the general hospital, Boston, Mass.; Ferdinand, engaged in farming the home property; and Clifford, William and Catherine, the latter two twins, residing with their mother. Mrs. Eck is a member of the First Baptist church, and is prominently known in charitable and religious work, being actively identified
William Thomas Edwards. In the career of William Thomas Edwards, industry, perseverance and continued activity along a well-directed line of labor in a useful trade have combined to bring him prosperity, contentment and a position among the substantial and respected citizens of his community. Mr. Edwards, who is identified with the American Rolling mill at Middletown, in the capacity of roller, was born at Mountain Ash, Wales, May 31, 1874, a son of David and Anna (Thomas) Edwards. His mother died in 1892, but his father still survives in hale old age. Mr. Edwards has one sister, Margaret, who is now the wife of James Grinage, of Pueblo, Col. The public schools of Wheeling furnished Mr. Edwards with his educational instruction, and in that intensely active industrial municipality he laid the foundation for his career, his training being all along the lines of his present work. He continued as a resident of Wheeling until 1911, and still retains his home there, although nominally living at Middletown. During the past eight years he has been employed in the capacity of a roller at the American Rolling mill, where he has gained his employers' confidence and respect by reason of his industry and close application to the duties devolving upon him as the incumbent of his position. As a man of pleasing personality, he attracts friends readily and retains them indefinitely. In his political support Mr. Edwards is inclined to be liberal, voting for man rather than party and recognizing no definite factional lines. He belongs to the Masons and the Knights of Pythias, taking a keen interest in fraternal work, and his religious faith is that of the Christian church. His good citizenship has been displayed on a number of occasions. December 26, 1898, Mr. Edwards was united in matrimony with Daisy, daughter of George and Laura (Thomas) Deiters, and they are the parents of two children: Miss Laura Ann, born in 1899, who resides with her parents at 26 S. Huron street, Wheeling, W. Va.; and George, born in 1905, who is attending the public schools.
William Eesley. Upon one of the oldest vocations known to mankind, that of milling, the Eesley family has indelibly inscribed its name, and a worthy representative of both the family and the honored vocation is found in William Eesley, a miller at College Corner, who is also interested as an owner in the Oxford mills. Mr. Eesley was born at Detroit, Mich., a son of A. R. and Jennie (Goldie) Miller, the latter a native of Scotland and the former of Stratford-on-Avon, England. A. R. Eesley came of a long line of millers, but in young manhood adopted the vocation of school teaching which he followed for several years in his native place and for a time taught school in the house in which the famous Bard of Avon, William Shakespeare, was born. School teaching, however, was not to his liking. He had the family predilection for milling, and, finding that circumstances were not such as to encourage him in his inclinations in his native land, he emigrated to the United States and for a time lived at Newark, N. J. Later, he went to Ayr, Canada, where he secured employment as a miller, and while living there
William J. Ehrnschwender. During the entire career of William J. Ehrnschwender, covering a period of thirty-one years, he has been identified with the First National bank of Hamilton, an institution whose growth and development he has watched with the interested eye of a contributor to its prosperity. He has risen, through his own abilities and fidelity, from a humble position to one of importance with this large and prominent banking house, and in financial circles of the city and county is recognized as a man thoroughly schooled in all the principles and details of modern banking. Mr. Ehrnschwender was born at Hamilton, Ohio, a son of George M. and Margaret (Fuhrman) Ehrnschwender, whose other children were Amelia, George C. and John. The father, who was a baker and confectioner by vocation, conducted an establishment at No. 29 High street, Hamilton, for many years, and during the days of the Civil war handled a number of Government contracts for the baking of bread for use by the Union Army. Educated primarily in the public schools of Hamilton, William J. Ehrnschwender prepared himself for a business career after leaving high school by a course in the Ohio Commercial college. He then returned immediately to Hamilton, and in 1888 secured a position as bank messenger with the First National bank of this city. He proved energetic, faithful and capable, and soon was given advancement to a more responsible position, and from that time to the present his career has been one
Otto I. Ehresman. In the following out well-laid and ably-directed plans as foundry manager, merchant and farmer, Otto I. Ehresman has achieved honorable and satisfactory success, and at the same time has so conducted his affairs as to merit the esteem and confidence of his fellow-men. At the present time he is the owner of a valuable and well-cultivated property consisting of 258 acres, located in Madison township, this property having been attained through the medium of his own industrious efforts. Mr. Ehresman was born on the old Iutzi farm in Madison township, Butler county, Ohio, February 4, 1854, a son of Christian and Maria (Iutzi) Ehresman, natives of Germany. The father was a young man when he emigrated to the United States and after his marriage at Trenton located on a farm north of that place, where he carried on operations until his death twelve years later, in 1867, when he was but forty-five years of age. The politics of the elder Ehresman made him a Democrat, and he and his wife, who survived him until 1906 and was seventy-nine years old at the time of her demise, were members of the Mennonite faith. They had six children: Otto I.; Bena, who married William Jotter, of Trenton; Bertha, who is single and resides at Trenton; Maria, who married William Hege, of Chicago, Ill.; Amelia, single, and a resident of Trenton; and Louisa, who died when a child. Otto I. Ehresman had only a limited educational training, as his father died when the lad was only thirteen years old and his labors were needed to assist in supporting the family. He remained at home with his mother until 1885, in which year he married Mary Duscher, of Madison township, Butler county, a daughter of Henry and Ella (Ball) Duscher, the former a native of Germany and the latter of the state of New York. Mr. Duscher was but three years of age when brought to the United States by his parents, the family settling at Trenton, where he grew to young manhood. When he embarked upon his independent career it was as the owner of a malt house at Hamilton and a still house at Collinsville, but later he engaged in farming, and finally established a foundry at Hamilton, and conducted the present plant there (which was of his own building) until his death. He had also other business connections and was a man well known and highly esteemed. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran church and the parents of seven children: Louisa, deceased, who was the wife of Fred H. Burk; Mary, who became Mrs. Ehresman; Frank, who died young; Libbie, a resident of Hamilton; Sophia, who married William Stephen, a coal dealer of Hamilton; Sarah Ellen, the wife of Fred H. Burk; and Clara, deceased, who was the wife of Gus Schween, present manager of the Duscher foundry. Three children
Leonard Eichler, a progressive, industrious and successful agriculturist of Hanover township, and the owner of a good property, in the management and cultivation of which he is demonstrating his ability to gain good results for the labor which he expends, was born on a farm in St. Clair township, Butler county, Ohio, November 21, 1862, a son of George and Mary (Bauman) Eichler, natives of Germany. Emigrating to the United States in young manhood, George Eichler secured a position as a hired hand on a farm in St. Clair township, and not long thereafter he met Miss Bauman, who had come to the same farm to take a position in the household service. They were married and for thirteen years thereafter resided in the same township, then moved to the property which is now occupied by their son Leonard. Both died firm in the faith of the Lutheran church and respected and esteemed by those who knew them. Of their three children, Leonard is the only survivor, Christine and John being deceased. Leonard Eichler was brought up as a farmer's son and received his education in the public schools. As a youth and young man he assisted his father, and tenderly cared for his parents during their declining years, and at the time of their death inherited the home place, on which he has since carried on operations and as a business man he has earned the esteem and confidence of his associates by the honorable manner in which he has conducted his transactions. During the late war he was a generous contributor to all activities. In politics he is a Democrat, and he and the members of his family belong to the Reformed church. Mr. Eichler married Barbara, daughter of George Popp, of Reily township, and to this union there were born four children, of whom three survive: Martha E and Frieda A., who reside with their parents; and Louise M., who married Elmer Sipp and lives on a farm in Hanover township.
Eikenberry Brothers Company. In business circles of Hamilton the name of Eikenberry Brothers company carries with it the prestige that always attaches to a house that has established its integrity and solidity beyond the shadow of a doubt, while among
John W. Eiler, a skilled and thoroughly competent general farmer and stock raiser and the owner of 102 acres of land, but is now operating 344 acres, was born at Symmes Corners, Butler county, Ohio, December 3, 1868, a son of John and Carolina (Schafer) Eiler, the former a native of Butler county and the latter of Germany, in which country also was born the paternal grandfather of Mr. Eiler, an early settler of Seven Mile, Butler county, who was engaged in shoemaking there until his death. John W. Eiler accepted the educational opportunities offered by attendance at the district schools, and upon leaving the log schoolhouse of his locality took up agricultural work as a farmhand for two years. Next he worked for his father until he reached his majority, when he rented a farm in Warren county, a tract of 125 acres, which he cultivated for three years. He then returned to Butler county for one year, but subsequently went back to Warren county and for fifteen years carried on operations on a rented property of 228 acres, but finally closed out his interests there. In 1912, he located on the farm which he is now renting, of 242 acres, in addition to which he is operating 102 acres of his own, making his property 344 acres in extent. While he has always been a general farmer, he has also found much to attract him in the raising of live stock, and is now feeding about 200 hogs per year. He is a recognized authority in this line, takes a deep pride in the quality of his stock, and is constantly improving his equipment for the caring for it. He also milks about twenty cows and does a thriving dairy business. As a voter, Mr. Eiler is independent in his views. He was married in 1899 to Ida M. Dishem, and they are the parents of five children: Hazel, Roy, Lee, Clarence and Howard. A splendid business man, an excellent farmer and stockman and a genial friend, Mr. Eiler is a typical representative of the best class of agriculturists in this part of the Miami valley.
Winfield Samuel Ekey, a shearman at the Middletown plant of the American Rolling Mill company, and a reliable and well-to-do citizen, was born near Steubenville, Ohio, September 25, 1864, a son of Samuel and Mary Ann (Duff) Ekey, prosperous farming people of that community, where the father died about 1871 and the mother December 7, 1878. Mr. Ekey has two brothers, Wesley and Charles, who are residents of Martins Ferry, Ohio, and two sisters, Iva and Hattie, who are deceased. Winfield S. Ekey was educated in the public schools of Steubenville and passed his boyhood on the home farm, where he was taught the traits of thrift, integrity and industry. The agricultural life, however, not appealing to him, he applied for and secured employment in the mills of his community, whence he came to Middletown in 1911, to enter the American Rolling mill. There he occupies the position of shearman and has the full confidence of his employers and the friendship and respect of his fellow-workmen. Mr. Ekey is a man of versatile attainments, and is especially skilled as a cabinet-maker. In his pretty home on Michigan avenue are to be found a number of pieces of handsomely wrought furniture as evidences of his skill and handicraft, and in addition it was he who made the