Alexander R. Robinson, one of the prominent and successful merchants of Shandon, Ohio, was born in Shandon, then known as Paddy's Run, July 9, 1856. He was a son of H. H. and Josephine (Glancy) Robinson. His great-great-grandfather, Samuel Robinson, served in the Revolutionary war as a soldier of the Colony of New Jersey. He married a Miss Hufty, a charming colonial lass of Holland Dutch descent. Among the children born to Samuel Robinson and wife, was Samuel, jr., the grandfather of Alexander Robinson. He was born in New Jersey, and grew to manhood in Philadelphia, Pa. He was a master cobbler, or shoemaker, by trade, and in 1818, came to Ohio and settled in Morgan township, Butler county. He married Mariah Ent, daughter of Major Charles and Mary (Johnson) Ent. Major Ent was a veteran of the War of 1812. Samuel and Mariah Ent Robinson were the parents of these children: H. H., Moses, Jane, Elizabeth, Caroline, Mary, Samuel, and Maria. Samuel Robinson and his wife passed away years ago, and were buried in the Shandon cemetery. H. H. Robinson, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Huntington county, N. J., May 16, 1816, and when he was two years old, was brought by his parents to Butler county, where the family settled. December 7, 1847, he married Josephine Glancy, daughter of Joseph and Hetty (Rittenhouse) Glancy. They were the parents of the following children: Mary May, unmarried, living in Shandon; Erastus, who is now a well-known physician, first married Emma Evans and they were the parents of one child, Claudie; later he married Mary Williams Cochran, and to them have been born two children, Clinton and Paul R.; Alexander; Samuel, married; Evelyn, who married Albert
W. N. Rogers, M. D. Among the physicians of Butler county who have seen service in two of this country's wars, Dr. W. N. Rogers, of Hamilton, is worthy of distinction for the part which he played in the recent great struggle in Europe, where he saw active service on the St. Mihiel and Argonne front. Doctor Rogers was born at Concordville, Delaware county, Pa., in 1871, and secured his early educational training in the public schools there, graduating from the high school with the class of 1889. When he left school he took up the trade of painter, which he followed for about five years, and in this way secured the means with which he put himself through a course of study at Hahnemann Medical college, Philadelphia, Pa., from which he received his degree of M. D., May 12, 1898. At that time the Spanish-American war came on and he enlisted as a private in the 1st United States Engineers, Company D, and was sent to Porto Rico, where he passed through that campaign safely. Upon receiving his honorable discharge from the army, he commenced the practice of medicine at Blair, Ohio, in February, 1900, and April 6, 1906, located at Hamilton. Here he established himself in the enjoyment of an excellent practice, to the duties of which he applied himself until he entered the United States Medical Corps as a first lieutenant, September 22, 1917. He was called into the active service January 20, 1918, at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., and remained there until April 25th, when he was ordered to Camp Pike and assigned to the 345th Infantry. May 30th he was transferred
Henry J. Rosselot. To the man of industry and enterprise a life of retirement, after many years spent in hard and faithful toil, seems repellent, and not until he feels absolutely convinced that he has done his share in developing his community will the average Miami valley farmer relinquish his hold upon active operations. Then, when he finally does settle down in his home in the nearby city or town, he is bound to prove a valuable asset to the community and is invariably a welcome addition to its citizenship. Henry J. Rosselot, who for many years was a successful farmer of Butler county, is now living in retirement at Middletown. He was born at Lerado, Ohio, a son of parents who were natives of France and came to America in their youth, being married in 1850 at St. Xavier's church, Cincinnati, and shortly thereafter removing to their farm at Lerado, where they rounded out their honorable lives and died in 1904. Their family consisted of eight children: George, deceased; Mary, of Lerado; Henry J.; Frank, of Glendale; Kate, of Fayetteville; Elizabeth, deceased; Julia, of California; and Charles, of Lerado. Henry J. Rosselot was educated in the public schools and early adopted farming as his life work. Following his marriage in 1882, he located on a farm at Lerado, where he made his home until
Charles E. Rossfeld. Of the followers of any of the important trades, no better recommendation is required than the credit of long employment under a reliable management. For a number of years Charles E. Rossfeld has been employed at the Middletown plant of the American Rolling Mill, and is regarded as having as practical a knowledge of his vocation as any employee of this large industry. Mr. Rossfeld was born at Pittsburg, Pa., August 31, 1861, a son of John and Caroline (Zimmer) Rossfeld. His father was born in Steinbach, Bavaria, in 1833, but in 1853, when less than twenty-one years of age, left his native land to escape the hardships of the unjust military system and located at Pittsburg, where he was married in 1857, to Caroline Zimmer, a native of Reihweiler, Bavaria. They became the parents of three children: John, a resident of
J. E. Rothenbush, D. D. S., was born December 27, 1867, in Hamilton, Ohio. He was the son of Phillip and Ollie Rothenbush, natives of Hamilton and Oxford respectively, who were members of pioneer families in Butler county. They were the parents of five children, four of whom are now living: Phillip was a dealer in fruits and seeds, opening one of the first fruit stores in Hamilton. Dr. Rothenbush received his early education in the public schools of this city, and at the age of nineteen entered the Ohio Dental college taking a full course in dental surgery. Receiving his degree in 1889, he located in Manchester, Ohio, where he entered upon the practice of his chosen profession. After remaining here about two years he decided to return to Hamilton, opening an office at the corner of Third and Court streets, where he has built up a most substantial and satisfactory practice. He was married to Hattie Hites, and to this union, one child, Harold P., was born. Dr. Rothenbush is a member of the Presbyterian church, and, in his political bent, has always supported the principles of the Republican party.
Andrew Rubekas. One of the enterprising and progressive young citizens of Oxford is Andrew Rubekas, the proprietor of the establishment known as the Purity Confectionery on Main street. Mr. Rubekas has been in this country only eight years, but during this time has advanced steadily along the road to success. Andrew Rubekas was born in Corinth, Greece, in 1894, a son of Gust Rubekas, who is a small farmer in that country and a member of a family which bears an honored name. There were two sons in the family: Andrew and an elder brother, James, the latter of whom served in the Greek army during the great World war and was captured and held prisoner by the Germans. Andrew Rubekas received a public school education in his native land and as a youth assisted his father on the small home farm and when seventeen years of age came to the United States. When he reached his destination, at Terre Haute, Ind., where he had acquaintances, he secured employment as a helper in a candy kitchen and thus learned the trade of candy making, at which he worked several years as a journeyman, traveling to different large cities of the country, finally locating at Lebanon, Ohio, where he purchased a store and entered into business for himself. Not liking this location, he sold out his holdings, and for six months worked at Elwood, then came to Oxford, where, in 1916, in partnership with Evans Johnson, he opened his present fine store on Main street. This is a handsome establishment, finished in mahogany, with the latest and most artistic fixtures and equipment of all kinds. He deals in soda water, ice cream, confections of all kinds, fruit etc., and has built up a splendid trade. Mr. Rubekas is courteous, obliging and pleasant by nature and has made and maintained many friendships among his patrons. He and Mr. Johnson are the owners of another establishment of a like nature, located at Sidney, Ohio, which is managed by Mr. Johnson.
George L. Rudder was born in Fairfield township, Butler county, Ohio, the son of George and Barbara (Rammes) Rudder, both of whom were born in Germany. On coming to this country, the parents settled in New York, then went to Pennsylvania, and in 1859 moved to Butler county, remaining there until death. Their children were: John, married Ella Schmutzler, has five children; George L., subject of this sketch; Mary, Margaret. George L. was educated in Hamilton county, and upon leaving school farmed with his father on what is known as the J. W. Mack place, in Fairfield township. This is one of the well-known estates in that section and has been continuously occupied by the Rudder family for the past forty-six years. Our subject farms ninety-five acres of the homestead, and his brother, John, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work, cares for a large acreage. George Rudder and his sisters, Mary and Margaret, make their home together and enjoy the prosperity that has come as a result of their united and continued efforts through the years of the past. Fairfield township was also the birthplace of the Misses Rudder. Our subject took a prominent part in all war activities. He has always been a Republican and is a member of the Lutheran church.
George Stemple Rupp. For three generations the Rupp family has conducted a large and flourishing meat and packing business in Hamilton, and each of the proprietors has displayed the same honorable methods and policies that have been so highly esteemed by the general public. The president of the company at this time is George Stemple Rupp, one of the leading business men of the younger generation at Hamilton. He was born at Hamilton, July 27, 1888, a son of George Jacob and Catherine (Stemple) Rupp, the former a native of Hamilton and the latter of Cleveland, Ohio. The family was founded in Butler county by the grandfather of George S. Rupp, who came as a pioneer business man to Hamilton, and during the Civil war engaged in the packing business, also taking part in that struggle as a wearer of the Union blue. He had two children: George Jacob and a Mrs. Seidensticker, now deceased. The business, originally founded on South A street, was continued after the founder's death by his son, on Sycamore street. George J. Rupp was an honorable business man, and a citizen of public spirit and constructive ideas. He and his wife were the parents of five children, of whom three grew to maturity: Mrs. William Mason; Waldo, who joined the U. S. Army as a second lieutenant in the Quartermaster's Department, and was sent from Jacksonville, Fla., to France, where he saw active service and was promoted to first lieutenant; and George Stemple. George Stemple Rupp attended the public schools of Hamilton and after graduating from the high school in 1907, entered the University of Chicago, where he took a commercial course. He then returned to Hamilton and entered business with his father, going into the retail meat department at 122 High street, one of the two stores of this company, of which he has been president since his father's demise. As a citizen he has given his hearty and valuable support to all movements tending
Waldo Rupp, formerly secretary and treasurer of the Rupp Packing company, this company owning two stores in Hamilton, was sold August 5, 1919, to The Rupp Meat company, of which Waldo Rupp is the sole owner and manager and is doing a large retail and jobbing business. He has made rapid advancement of recent years in assuming a position of importance in business circles of Hamilton, where he has already gained the reputation of being an alert, progressive and energetic man of affairs. Born in 1891, at Hamilton, he is a son of George and Catherine Rupp, and belongs to a well-known and highly esteemed family of the city, a review of which will be found elsewhere in this work in the sketch of George Rupp. After graduating from the Hamilton High school in 1908, Waldo Rupp attended the University of Michigan for one year, and then spent a like period in Miami university. Returning to Hamilton he pursued a course in the Hamilton Business college, then entering the packing business with his father. In 1913 he assumed the duties of secretary and treasurer of The Geo. Rupp Packing company, positions he retained until the sale of the business, and in which he gained the entire confidence of his associates. When the United States entered the great World War, Mr. Rupp went to the Officers Training Camp, at Jacksonville, Fla., to prepare for the Quartermaster's Corps, and was commissioned second lieutenant July 31, 1918. Subsequently he was sent overseas and stationed at I-sur-Tiel, France, where in February, 1919, he was promoted first lieutenant. He remained until June, 1919, at which time he received his honorable discharge and returned to Hamilton to resume his duties with the then Rupp Packing company. Mr. Rupp is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and is a voter with independent tendencies. He is unmarried and resides at the home of his parents.
Jackson P. Rush. In the person of Jackson P. Rush, Butler county has an enterprising and progressive farmer, and one who during a long period has promoted the best interests of the community. He has been the developer of a handsome and valuable farm, situated on the Oxford State road, which is his present home, and in other ways has been a constructive factor in the progress which has added to the agricultural prestige of this part of the Miami valley during the past several decades. Mr. Rush was born in Preble county, Ohio, May 24, 1864, a son of Jackson and Eliza Ann (Thomas) Rush. On both sides of the family he comes of excellent stock, members of the Rush and Thomas family having been identified with this region for a number of years in positions of
William H. Rutledge, now deceased, was during his useful life one of the leading agriculturists of Butler county, and when he died he left behind him a finely developed farm, where his family still reside. He was born at Rossville, Ohio, May 16, 1845, a son of James and Mary (Mustard) Rutledge. James Rutledge was born in Pennsylvania, although his parents were natives of Virginia, and his wife was born in West Hamilton, Ohio. In young manhood, James Rutledge came to Butler county, Ohio, where he died in 1849, having been a teamster all of his active life. He and his wife had the following children: Mary, Martha, Margaret, Sarah, William H., and an unnamed son. William H. Rutledge attended the schools of his neighborhood, and remained with his family until his enlistment
Melville E. Sarchet. Since 1911 one of the skilled workmen at the American Rolling mill, Middletown, has been Melville E. Sarchet. He is another of the men who have devoted their entire lives to this kind of activity, and who through it have found the road to Independence and contentment. Mr. Sarchet was born at Cambridge, Guernsey county, Ohio, and is of French descent. His grandfather, Thomas Sarchet, on leaving France, went to the Guernsey Isles, finding there a refuge from religious persecution which had been inflicted upon him in his native land. In 1803, he sailed for America and upon his arrival located in what is now Guernsey county, which was named in honor of the community which had
[NOTE: The biography for P. M. Sater, M.D. is on page 664]
Charles E. Sauers. "Write me, as one who loves his fellowman," said Abou-Ben-Adhem, the Arab, to the angel of his dream, "One who loves his fellow-man," is the highest compliment that can be paid to any mortal. This expression, in its best sense, may well be applied to Charles E. Sauers, whose genial personality, and abounding good-humor has endeared him to the hearts of his many friends of Hamilton and elsewhere. To meet Mr. Sauers is to be at once impressed with his evident sincerity of character, and his very genial and engaging disposition. Mr. Sauers has long been active in the business and social life of Hamilton. He was born in Stockton, Butler county, Ohio, September 11, 1877, son of Alexander and Mary M. (Peters) Sauers, who were of French and German descent, respectively. While living in Germany, Alexander Sauers learned the wine making business, having worked in some of the noted wine-cellars of that country. He became an expert wine maker and, after coming to this country, he engaged in that business at Stockton. Here he achieved a splendid reputation as a wine maker and his products were known far and wide for their purity and excellence. To Alexander Sauers were born the following children, who attained their majority: Charles E., Rev. Wm. J. of Chester, W. Va., Louis, Joseph, Henry, Paul. Alexander Sauers died July 10, 1910, and his wife January 25, 1905. They were very highly respected, in the neighborhood in which they lived. The Sauers family is a credit to these two most deserving parents, whose lives were lived in that good old-fashioned manner, so rare nowadays. Charles E. Sauers, second in order of birth of the Sauers boys, was educated at the Stockton public schools and later studied medicine for three years attending lectures at the Miami Medical college. After leaving Medical college he took employment with the Cox & Fargo Department store in Hamilton. He later started the Sauers Claim Adjusting company, in which business he has been eminently successful. All manner of claims have been successfully adjusted through the Sauers agency. It may be said in this connection, that not only have the interests of the claimants been at all times conserved but the claims have been adjusted in a very diplomatic and satisfactory manner to all parties concerned. Mr. Sauers having secured an interest in the Lambert Tire & Rubber company, of Akron, Ohio, and Portland, Ore., has the distribution of the product of this company in Butler and Hamilton counties, Ohio. The demand at this time is greater than the production of these tires. Mr. Sauers expects and his friends predict that he will meet with splendid success in his new venture. He will carry to his new business that same thoroughness that has served him so well in his other ventures. No doubt his product will prove a prime favorite among many automobilists of Hamilton and vicinity. Mr. Sauers is a great out-of-doors enthusiast and is an ardent ardent lover of nature, hunter and fisherman.
Frank Sauer stands prominent as an educator and is one who must be accorded much credit for the estimable reputation achieved by Millville and Butler county for its educational facilities. He is not only known as a teacher of rare ability, but as one who has the happy faculty of imparting his knowledge to others, as a man who is admirably equipped to have charge of the moral as well as mental training of the young. He has achieved a most enviable reputation as one of the really progressive educators of Butler county, and personally, he has always been popular with his pupils. He was born in Hanover township, Butler county, Ohio, January 20, 1877, the youngest of eight children of George and Mary (Diver) Sauer, the other children being: Elizabeth, who became Mrs. M. W. Stumpf; Samuel; Ella, who became Mrs. Woolensnyder; George, Flora, David and Gus. The parents lived in Hanover township many years, going from there to Ross township. Frank Sauer was educated in the grammar and high school and at Lebanon Normal school. He began teaching in 1904 and taught five years at Millville, previous to which he taught in the schools of Hanover and Ross townships. In 1911, he married Miss Anna Snyder, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Snyder of Ross township who later became residents of Liberty township. Mr. Sauer and wife have one child, Frances, aged seven years. In addition to being interested in many of the activities during the recent World war he also has membership in the Red Cross. As an evidence of his industry and native ability it might be stated that Mr. Sauer in addition to following the duties of school teacher, found time to learn a trade and it is said that he is a carpenter of more than average ability. His standing in his community is the highest and he is admired by a large circle of friends.
Adolph Schaefer. That congenial work means successful accomplishment finds emphatic expression in the career of Adolph Schaefer, whose well-cultivated farm lies in the vicinity of Jacksonboro. When he entered upon his independent career as a farmer Mr. Schaefer had little to mark his efforts save a strong determination to succeed. Indefatigable industry, economy and common sense enabled him to accomplish in good order all that he had planned, and today he feels a just pride in his surroundings, in their neatness and order; also in the comfortable and well furnished house, and the many facilities for carrying on his industry. Mr. Schaefer was born in Butler county, a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Pfeiff) Schaefer, who passed their lives as agriculturists and were substantial and highly respected people of their community. Both are now deceased, the father having passed away December 27, 1914. and the later September 18, 1918. Adolph Schaefer received his education in the public schools, and as a young man adopted the vocation of agriculture for his life work, an occupation in which he has not only found success but also contentment. He is at present the owner of what is known as the John Lesley farm, a tract of 120 acres, which he bought in 1912, and which he has brought to a high
Solomon Schatzel. For many years the late Solomon Schatzel was one of the highly respected citizens and successful farmers of Union township. He was known to almost everyone, setting an example of industry and thrift that made possible the rearing of his children in comfort and preparing them for future usefulness, and in every way performing the quiet, every day duties of life with sincerity and efficiency. Mr. Schatzel was born in Baden, Germany, July 27, 1852, and had such school and other opportunities as the small farmer's son then enjoyed in that country. In the hope of better things he came to the United States in young manhood, finding work as a farm hand in the neighborhood of Evendale, Ohio, performing his tasks so well that as long as he remained there, some nine years, his services were in demand. Mr. Schatzel came then to Union township, Butler county, where he bought 105 acres of land, to which he later added three acres, and to the development and improvement of his farm he devoted himself mainly until the time of his death. which occurred December 11. 1916. In 1881 he married Louise, daughter of Peter and Frances Zimmer. She was born at Reading, in Hamilton county, Ohio, but her parents were of German birth. They were married in their native land, shortly afterward coming to the United States. The father was a farmer in Hamilton county during the rest of his life. The mother of Mrs. Schatzel is still living, having reached the age of ninety-three years and is, in all probability, the oldest member of the Catholic church
John George Schauer. During the time that he was engaged in business at Middletown, from 1910 to 1919, John George Schauer succeeded in impressing himself upon the people of that locality as a straightforward and honorable business man. In his present capacity, as a dealer in automobiles and accessories, he has built up a splendid business at Dayton and has maintained the reputation of the Schauer name, established a number of years ago at Dayton. Mr. Schauer was born at Dayton, a son of the elder John George Schauer, who was for many years successfully engaged in the grocery business in the Gem City. The father was a man who formed connections of business importance through his good judgment and integrity, and who was personally admired for his many admirable traits of character. John G. Schauer the younger was educated in the public schools of Dayton, and about 1910 removed to Middletown to engage in the wholesale liquor business, his establishment being located on Main street. He was found to be honorable, trustworthy and aboveboard in all his transactions and was generally accepted as a man of good character and a desirable citizen. In the late summer of 1919 he returned to his home city of Dayton, where he has since prospered greatly in the proprietorship of an automobile business on Jefferson street. He is essentially and primarily a business man, and has only a good citizen's interest in matters other than those pertaining to his own affairs, but has several lodge connections and is popular with those who know him. He married a teacher in the public schools of Dayton, and they are the parents of two bright and interesting children, a son and a daughter.
Edward Scheering, the proprietor of a mill at Shandon, Ohio, was born October 13, 1872, on his father's farm in Hamilton county, Ohio. He is a son of John and Catherine (Weik) Scheering, who were natives of Germany, the former coming from Wortenburg with his parents and settling in Hamilton county with them. The latter also settled with her parents in the same county. John took up farming in Colerain township and later bought a farm in Crosby township, near the Butler county line. This farm originally comprised ninety-two acres but such was Mr. Scheering's success, that in 1882 he bought an adjoining farm of ninety acres and made many improvements that greatly enhanced its value. To John and Cattherine Scheering were born nine children: Charles, deceased, his widow, Minnie Scheering, surviving him; Lizzie, married Thomas Shroyer, of Venice, Ohio, now retired; Jacob, John and Amelia, still
H. D. Schell, M. D. Although still a comparatively young man, Dr. H. D. Schell, of Hamilton, has made a substantial professional record, and has evinced a marked breadth and versatility in medicine, in business and in civic affairs. His profession comes first in his interest, for he is a physician not only by inclination, training and experience, but also by inheritance. He was born at Hamilton, in 1879, a son of Dr. S. M. Schell, who was a very prominent practitioner of the city and a graduate of the Homeopathic college of Cleveland, Ohio. After practicing at Hamilton all of his life, and attaining a large clientele and an excellent reputation, he died April 27, 1917. The graded and high schools of Hamilton furnished Dr. H. D. Schell with his early education, and following his graduation from Miami university in 1902 he entered Hahnemann Medical college, at Philadelphia, Pa., where he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1906. He next served one year at the Homeopathic hospital, at Pittsburg, as an interne, and then returned to Hamilton, where he established himself in practice in association with his father. This professional partnership continued prosperously and congenially until the elder man's death, since which time Dr. H. D. Schell has practiced alone. Doctor Schell possesses marked professional ability and a mind analytical, logical and inductive, and forms his diagnoses with a force and sureness that shows a complete
Aaron L. Schenck. If good citizenship, steady industry and high principles form the basis for an individual's claim upon the esteem and good-will of his fellow-citizens, then the high esteem and respect in which Aaron L. Schenck is held by the people of the Trenton community are well-merited. During the long period in which he has made his home in Butler county he has exhibited a commendable desire to perform conscientiously and well the responsibilities devolving upon him, whether as citizen, agriculturist or neighbor, and the standing and prosperity which he enjoys have come to him as a reward for his well-directed and self-reliant efforts. Mr. Schenck was born on a farm in Butler county, Ohio, October 31, 1869, a son of James M. and Maria Schenck, a sketch of whose careers will be found elsewhere in this work in the review of James P. Schenck, a brother of Aaron L. Schenck. His mother died when he was a small child, but he remained with his father, assisting him during vacation periods, while he attended the Shiloh school in Wayne township until he reached the age of about seventeen years. Some time after he had attained his majority he left home and purchased a farm in Madison township, where he began operations on his own account, and shortly before becoming twenty-four years of age, September 24, 1893, was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Barcklow, also of Butler county, who has proved a faithful helpmate and excellent counselor, and is a woman possessed of much refinement, wholesome charm and numerous graces. To this union there came four children: Raymond J., a carpenter of Trenton, who married Anna Young; Aaron H., who works his father's farm, who married Pauline Fautz and has two children, Anna and Clara Louise; Mary M., a young woman of many accomplishments, who resides with her parents; and Roy V., a carpenter at Trenton, who married Helen Gray and has one child, Homer. The children all attended the public schools and were reared to habits of industry, honesty and sobriety, so that they have grown up to be a credit to their name, their rearing and their communities. Aaron L. Schenck continued to be actively engaged in Madison township farming until 1918, at which time he decided to shift some of the responsibilities of hard labor to younger shoulders, and went into semi-retirement,
James P. Schenck. In the community of West Middletown, the industry of general agriculture has a worthy representative in the person of James P. Schenck, whose operations here have covered a period of many years. He comes of an agricultural family and was born in Butler county, O., a son of James M. and Maria Jane (Brelsford) Schenck, who were well-known early settlers of this part of the Miami valley, where they rounded out their lives in the pursuits of farming. James P. Schenck was given his educational training in the district schools of his native locality, and was brought up to hard work and habits of integrity and honesty, dividing his time between attending school in the winter terms and assisting his father during the summer months. When he entered upon his independent career he adopted farming as his means of livelihood, and has continued as a general farmer to the present time, being now the owner of a property consisting of 166 acres. This he has brought to a high state of cultivation through intelligent development and the use of modern methods, and his operations have been made successful through wise management and taking advantage of the opportunities offered through the invention and development of power from machinery. He has a good set of substantial and attractive buildings, and the farm is a model one in every way. Mr. Schenck was married June 14, 1894, to Mary Elizabeth Smith, daughter of John and Susan (Weikel) Smith, and they have had two children: Carrie Marie, now deceased; and Willard F., who resides at home and assists his father in operating the farm. Willard F. Schenck married Miss Marie Alma Neal, daughter of James and Sarah (Weith) Neal, of Sidney, O., and to them was born, June 27, 1919, a daughter, Elizabeth Frances. James P. Schenck is a Democrat, but has taken little part in politics. However, he shows his public spirit when occasion offers, and is accounted one of his community's helpful and reliable citizens.
John Andrew Schirm. Any list of the prosperous and highly esteemed agriculturists of Butler county would be incomplete that did not contain the name of John Andrew Schirm, who is engaged in extensive operations in Lemon township. He was born in the vicinity of his present home, September 11, 1864, and has passed his entire life here, so that the esteem in which he is held is the result of long acquaintance on the part of his fellow-citizens. The father of
Julius William Schmidt. A progressive farmer of Liberty township has demonstrated what can be accomplished on the farm by the man who applies himself perseveringly and industriously. His 112-acre tract in Liberty township, Butler county, O., operated less than two years, is recognized as one of the really desirable holdings in that locality, and despite the comparatively brief period that he has been operating this farm Mr. Schmidt has achieved results even beyond his fondest expectations. He was born March 31, 1876, the son of Wilhelm and Ledia Schmidt, both natives of Germany who came to the United States about 1871, and located in Cincinnati. The father worked at the upholstering and harness making trade in the latter city about eleven years, when he returned to Germany and remained there until 1890, coming back to this country and locating in Hamilton, Ohio, and associating himself with his son, Julius William, who had established a prosperous butcher business in that city. Besides the latter, who was the youngest, there were two other children in this family: Edward and Emma. Although born in this country, Julius William Schmidt received his education in Germany, having accompanied his father at the age of six years when the latter returned to the fatherland. However, his favorable impressions in childhood of the opportunities that the United States afforded for the wide-awake young man prompted him, when eighteen years of age, to return to this country with his parent the two locating in Cincinnati. Julius William obtained employment with the George Suyler Packing company at that place and continued with the concern four years, when he went to St. Louis, Mo., and worked in a sausage factory two years. In 1900, he went to Hamilton and engaged in the butcher business at Eighth and Walnut streets. Remaining at this stand for a short period he located at 748 Eastern avenue and conducted a meat market there for eighteen years with the greatest success. Incidentally, it might be stated that each succeeding business venture in which he was involved proved more profitable than the preceding one and he retired from this business to undertake farming with the best wishes of multitudes. The present farm he is occupying and which he is improving at great expense, was purchased by him thirteen years ago. He took
Frederick Schneider. The career of Frederick Schneider is an expression of well-directed and intelligent industry, of devotion to the best interests of the community, and promotion of the best tenets of commercial life. His financial standing is indicated by the possession of a flourishing grocery business and other important and valuable holdings at Hamilton, and his citizenship is evidenced by the manner in which he has supported worthy movements for the general welfare. Mr. Schneider was born at Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio, March 20, 1850, a son of William and Margaret (Dingfelder) Schneider, the former of whom died at Cincinnati during the cholera epidemic of 1849. His father having died before his birth, Frederick Schneider's boyhood was filled with hard work, and his education was confined to attendance at the public schools, semi-occasionally, until he reached the age of twelve years. At that time he went to Cincinnati and secured employment for seven months in Greenwood's foundry, where his brother-in-law was a foreman, but he then resigned from that position and in April, 1863, entered the printing office of the Hamilton Telegraph, then owned by Fred Engry. There he learned the trade of printer, at which he subsequently worked as a journeyman and foreman and held the latter position from his eighteenth year onward. In 1889, with Charles Zwick and Albert Dix, he purchased the Hamilton Daily News from C. M. Campbell, and the Hamilton Telegraph, but a few years later disposed of his interest in this business. May 9, 1871, he was united in marriage with Anna Christen a Sippel, and to this union there were born four children: Bertha Wilhelmina Jeannette, who died in infancy; Frederick Leroy, a machinist of Dayton, who is married and has one child; Dr. Edgar Bertram, a prominent practicing physician and surgeon of Norwood, Ohio, who is married and has two children; and Carl Aquila, who is married and has one son. Mrs. Schneider died October 20, 1884, at the age of thirty-five years, and Mr. Schneider was married December 10, 1885, to Louisa Wilhelmina Holle, daughter of William and Sophia Holle, at Mount Healthy, Hamilton county, Ohio. Four children were born to this union: Bertha Louise and Mabel Louisa, who died in infancy; Ruth Marguerite, who is single and resides with her parents; and Holle Herbert, who was attending the Ohio State university when called into the World war service, and was overseas in France with the 24th Balloon Company until August 12, 1919, when he was discharged from the army and is now connected with the Daily News, as solicitor, etc. Mr. Schneider joined the German Methodist Episcopal church at the age of eleven years, and has held every office within the gift of the congregation. He was only nineteen years old when he was first elected superintendent of the Sunday school, an office which he has held off and on throughout his life, or for about twenty-five years. Also, when he was about nineteen years of age, he was licensed as an exhorter and a few years later received license from his presiding elder as a local preacher,
George C. Schoenberger. There are not many better improved farms in Union township, Butler county, than that of George C. Schoenberger, who is one of Butler county's substantial and representative men. He was born in Cincinnati, Hamilton county, Ohio, July 31, 1853, son of Conrad and Christina Schoenberger. They were born in Germany. When they came to the United States they married and settled in the city of Cincinnati. The father was a man of great industry and as he had had experience with cattle, he was there made superintendent of cattle feeding in connection with a distillery plant. The parents died in that city. Of their five children, two are dead. They were Mrs. John Lindner and Mrs. Lenard Lindner; three are living, namely: Joseph P., who is a retired railroad engineer and lives in Cincinnati, is accorded the highest record as a first-class engineer on B. & O. R. R., having been in the employ of this company for over fifty years, during which time he never had an accident, neither was he the cause of injury to anyone; John, who is also active in his agricultural industries and lives at Glendale, Ohio, and George C. George C. Schoenberger attended school at Cincinnati, then learned the brick making trade, working during the summers at his trade and during the winter seasons was clerk in a grocery store. For twelve years he worked for a brick contractor, during the last four years being superintendent of the yards. He then embarked in the grocery and market business, which he carried on for three years, at the end of that time selling out in order to move into the country and satisfy his desire for an agricultural life. He located on what is his present valuable farm, a property he rented for twenty-seven years from his father-in-law, George Lindner, then purchased. He has 108 acres, all richly cultivated and
Charles Schraub, who is a substantial general farmer of Butler county, Ohio, has prospered in his undertakings because he has been industrious and careful, as he began with very small capital, from early youth having had to depend on his own efforts. He was born September 19, 1859, son of John and Anna (Keiser) Schraub, who were married at Trenton, Ohio, in 1857. Mr. Schraub has two sisters and one brother, namely: Mary, who is the wife of Jack Kinney; Anna, who is the wife of Charles Schenck; and Henry, who married Anna Bittner. The father was a blacksmith by trade, an honest, hard-working man, but he was not able to give his children much assistance as they grew up, and as soon as Charles had completed his period of school attendance, he started out for himself. For about fifteen years he worked at different things, mainly at or in the vicinity of Middletown, then decided to become a farmer. It was not easy at first, although he had selected land with good judgment, but he was industrious, frugal and enterprising and in a short time, comparatively speaking, had his farm of fifty-five acres well stocked and under a good state of cultivation, with no debts to discourage him. Mr. Schraub has made the cultivation of his farm and the careful rearing of his family the important things of his life and he has done well. He married Catherine Hess, daughter of William and Catherine (Smith) Hess, whose other children were as follows: Martin, Henry, Lewis, William, Carrie, wife of Scott Davis, Lizzie, wife of Tony Murs, and Sophia, wife of Michael Riley. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schraub, namely: Alma, Raymond W., Louise, Mary Virtue, and Helen Catherine. Of these all are living except Alma. During the World war, Raymond
John L. Schueller, foreman of the sheet metal department, American Rolling Mill company, the son of Wolfsgang and Mary Magdalina (Hubber) Schueller, was born January 6, 1859. His parents were married at Baltimore, afterwards settled in Ceredo, W. Va., then went to Ironton, Ohio. There were eight children in the family, three died in infancy, four reached maturity: Frank, deceased; Anna, Mrs. Calvin Christian, deceased; John, the subject of this sketch; Mary Magdelina Schueller, Cincinnati; Willie, deceased. Mr. Schueller is in every respect an absolutely self-made man. When a lad of only twelve years at Ironton, Ohio, he lost his parents, and was thus thrown upon his own resources. Undaunted he faced the situation, and determined to overcome the obstacles and win out. He began by working on a farm, digging coal-through many years heroic effort was required and made. For thirty-five years he has been associated with the American Rolling Mill company. He was with the plant in Cincinnati before it came to Middletown, nineteen years ago. Many discouragements were met and overcome. Step by step he has worked himself up until he now holds the responsible position already noted in this article. Mr. Schueller married Sophia Rosa Conrad in Cincinnati, September 22, 1881. This marriage resulted in the birth of six children: Cora, deceased; Frederick Ludwig, Charles William, George Edward, Howard Lee, Hazel Agnes (Mrs. Walter Byron Hadley). Mrs. Hadley has one child, Virginia Lou. Howard Lee enlisted May 10, 1918, at Cincinnati and was sent to Newport, R. I., as a line electrical general; spent five months in military training at that place and was transferred to Hampton Roads Electrical school August 31; remained there fifteen weeks and on February 18, 1919, was discharged: George Edward was drafted at Springfield, Mass., in the 320th Field Artillery, Battery A, 82d Division; went over to France June 6, from Camp Gordon, Atlanta, Ga. Fred is stock clerk at the American Rolling Mill company and married Lou Johnson. They have two children: Dorothy Lou and Carl William. Charles is shipping clerk at the American Rolling Mill company, and resides at home with his parents. The family occupies its own beautiful home on 11th street, in which contentment and happiness reign. Politically, Mr. Schueller gives allegiance to the Republican party. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and belongs also to the Junior Order United American Mechanics.
Louis Schuler is conducting successful operations on one of the model farms of Ross township, Butler county, where he has a well-improved place of sixty-five acres, near the village of Venice, the place of his nativity. A man of fine intellectuality and progressive policies in his farm enterprise, Mr. Schuler has secure vantage-ground as one of the representative agriculturists of his native county, where previously he had gained splendid reputation through his service in the pedagogic profession. He is a member of one of the well known and highly honored families of Butler county, and thus is emphasized the consistency of according him recognition in this history of the Miami valley. Mr. Schuler was born in Ross township, Butler county, April 4, 1873, and is a son of Philip and Susan (Stoffel) Schuler, who were born in Germany and whose marriage was solemnized in Butler county, Ohio. The names of their children are here recorded in respective order of birth: Otto, Anna, Edith, Albert, Jacob and Louis. The parents continued their residence in Ross township until their death, and their remains were laid to rest in the cemetery at Venice, 'the father having long' been numbered among the influential and honored citizens of Ross township. Louis Schuler found his boyhood and early youth compassed by the invigorating influence of country life, and in addition to receiving the advantages of the public schools of Venice, he was a student in the Ohio State University at Columbus. He put his academic attainments to practical test and utilization by entering the pedagogic profession, in which his popularity was equaled by his unequivocal success. He taught in the district schools of his home county, where also he held for some time the position of superintendent of the Venice High school. He has continued to take lively interest in educational work, and has given effective service as a member of the Butler County Board of School Examiners. While engaged in teaching Mr. Schuler continued his allegiance to agricultural enterprise in his native county, and since his marriage, in 1904, he has given his attention primarily to the management and general operation of the farm, in which connection he brings to bear scientific and progressive methods and policies, so that he receives good returns from his agricultural industry, which he has so directed as to make it of somewhat intensive order - that is, has demanded maximum production from every cultivated acre. During the
William A. Schuyler, carpenter superintendent of the Middletown plant of the American Rolling Mill company, has been a resident of Middletown since 1914, during which time he has impressed himself upon the people of this community as a reliable and substantial citizen and has gained and held the good-will of the men associated with him at the big industrial plant. He comes of Holland ancestry and was born at Blanchester, Ohio, April 23, 1871, a son of William and Rebecca (Laymon) Schuyler. His father served three years as a Union soldier during the war between the North and the South, died in 1914, while his mother passed away April 23, 1911, within four miles of the place of her birth in Clermont county. In the family there were four children: William A.; Leo L.; Jerry M.; and Mrs. Joe Kowalski, the wife of a Chicago pharmacist. William L. Schuyler was educated in the public schools of Blanchester, and as a youth learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed in the vicinity of his native place until 1900, when he went to Dayton, and April 6, 1914, came to Middletown to accept the position of superintendent of carpenter work at the American Rolling Mill company's plant. This post he occupied until 1919, and, being a conscientious and just man, he not only won the approval of his employers, but made an ideal superintendent, gaining and holding the confidence and good-will of the men under his charge. He is a man of much intellect, a profound thinker and a deep and discriminating reader, and in his pleasant home on Moore street has a large and well-chosen library. He is liberal in his political views and fraternizes with the Knights of Pythias, and, with his family, belongs to the United Brethren church. June 20, 1892, Mr. Schuyler married Stella, daughter of William and Mary (Simpson) Joslin, of Warren county, Ohio, the former of whom
Arthur Lee Schwab. The farming element is very strong in Butler county, for this is essentially an agricultural locality, both soil and climatic conditions making it a good place for general farming. This holds true in Ross township, where many finely cultivated properties are to be found, among them the old Schwab farm, the owner of which is one of the industrious and energetic young agriculturists of this region, Arthur Lee Schwab. Mr. Schwab was born on the William Cochran farm in Ross township, October 18, 1883, a son of George and Mary (Smith) Schwab, a review of whom will be found in the sketch of Charles A. Schwab, another son of this worthy couple, elsewhere in this volume. Arthur L. Schwab was educated in the schools of Millville and after completing his studies began farming for his father, continuing to be thus occupied until his marriage in 1907, to Edna Louisa, daughter of Joseph and Laura (Mehl) Condon, residents of Fairfield township, who had two other children: Ora, who married Grace Withrow, and Carl, who died October 29, 1918. After his marriage Mr. Schwab began farming operations in the vicinity of Millville, but later moved to the old Condon farm in Fairfield township, Butler county. Recently, through purchase from the heirs, he acquired the old Schwab place in Ross township, and here is successfully carrying on general farming and stock raising. Still a young man in years, Mr. Schwab is old in experience in his work, and justly proud of what he has been able to accomplish. He is interested in the advancement of his locality and lends his aid to worthy movements, but has not thought of office or other matters that would take him away from his chosen work of tilling the soil. In politics he supports Democratic principles and he and his family are members of the German Reformed church. He and Mrs. Schwab are the parents of three children: Laura Marie, George J. and Arthur Lee, Jr.
Charles A. Schwab, a prominent and up-to-date farmer of Ross township, Butler county, a son of George and Mary (Smith) Schwab, was born in Hanover township, February 2, 1879. His father, George Schwab, was born in Ross township, and his mother was born in Hanover township. George Schwab settled in Ross township after his marriage, and two years later moved to Hanover township, thence again to Ross township. Their children were: Jesse E., who married Edith Weikel; Charles A.; Helen E., unmarried; Arthur L., who married Edna Condon, of Ross township. Charles Schwab was educated in the schools of Millville and St. Charles. After finishing school, he took up farming and in 1908
George V. Schwartz. The dexterous manipulation of the chisel has at all times commanded a liberal share of wonder and admiration; it has preserved to us the beauty of antiquity, has marked the resting place of our dearest and most beloved friends, and has made the home of their mortal remains a garden of art and loveliness; it has also contributed largely to the beautifying of our cities, the adornment of our public parks, and to the perpetuating of the memory of the great and good. In this connection is presented a brief sketch of the career of George V. Schwartz, proprietor of the monument business at Heaton and Miami streets, Hamilton, who as a born carver in stone and marble has earned his way to success and recognition. Mr. Schwartz was born at Lebanon, O., in 1875, a son of Jacob Schwartz. The father was a native of Germany, where he learned the marble cutting trade and developed into a most accomplished workman, but when still a youth ran away from home and emigrated to the United States, his first settlement being at Hamilton, whence he subsequently removed to Dayton. Later he went to Lebanon, where he established himself in the monument business, and during forty-five years of honorable and upright business dealings not only built up a substantial commercial structure but also established himself strongly in the confidence, respect and good will of his fellow-citizens. When he died, in 1902, at the age of seventy-one years, business and civic affairs lost one whose interest in their progress had always been keen and whose activities therein had always been constructive. Mr. Schwartz married Barbara Dahler, also born in Germany, who died at the age of sixty-nine years. Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz were members of St. Francis Catholic church. They were the parents of the following children: Charles, who now conducts the original business at Lebanon; Emma, the wife of Henry Plekanpol of Hamilton; Frank, deceased, who was in the marble business at Lebanon for some years; John, a wholesale grocer of Los Angeles, Cal.; Carrie, the wife of C. C. Groff, of Mount Healthy, O.; George V., of this notice; and Louis, deceased. George V. Schwartz was educated in the public schools and so early did he evidence a love for his father's business that he was put to work thereat when he was but ten years of age. His development was rapid and he soon became recognized as one of the most efficient in his line. He became a member of the firm in the business at Lebanon, but the death of his father, in 1902, broke up the family association, and in the following year Mr. Schwartz came to Hamilton, where he
Alexander Lutes Scott, for many years a prominent, influential and successful agriculturist, is now one of the retired colony at Shandon. He is a native of New Haven, Hamilton county, Ohio, born August 15, 1850, a son of William H. and Elizabeth Ann (Lutes) Scott, the former born near Baltimore, Hamilton county, a son of James Scott who came from Scotland. James Scott and his worthy wife were the parents of three other sons: Andrew, Joseph and Henderson. Following their marriage William H. and Elizabeth Scott lived in Hamilton county, where they passed the rest of their lives in the peaceful pursuits of the soil, and when they died, honored and respected, were laid to rest in the Harrison cemetery. They were the parents of the following children: Alexander L.; James A., deceased; Andrew Jay; Miranda, deceased; Bertha, who is the wife of John Gerlaugh, of Dayton; Anna, deceased; and Azalia, the wife of Dr. John Detweiler, a practicing physician of Uniontown, Pa. After attending the district public schools of his home locality, Alexander Lutes Scott pursued a course at the National Normal school, at Lebanon, in 1868 and 1869. Thus prepared he entered upon an educational career, which lasted, however, only one and one-half years, one year being spent at Middletown and six months at New Haven. He then turned his attention to farming, at first near Union village, in 1876, and later in Indiana. He then purchased a farm in Morgan township, Butler county, and after he had disposed of this property bought a farm of 240 acres, in Ross township, on which he carried on operations in a successful way until his retirement and removal to Shandon, at which time he turned over the active work of the farm to his son. In January, 1876, Mr. Scott was united in marriage with Elizabeth J., daughter of Evan and Anna (Evans) Evans, natives of Butler county, of Welsh descent. In the Evans family there were the following children: William, who fought as a Union soldier during the war between the North and the South; John M., who is living in retirement at his home at Shandon; Dr. Albert C., who practiced medicine until his death; Rev. Spencer, a minister of the Congregational faith; Chester C., a resident of Akron, Ohio; Mrs. Emma Robinson, wife of Doctor Robinson: Cora, the wife of E. Lewis; and Elizabeth,
Frank Fillmore Scott. One of the men who own large country properties and superintend their management from comfortable town homes, one who has found pleasure and profit in both farming and merchandising is Frank Fillmore Scott. Mr. Scott, who is the owner of a farm of 178 acres in Ross township, was for thirty-two years engaged in merchandising at Venice, and both as farmer and merchant won not only prosperity but the good will and esteem of all with whom he came in contact. Mr. Scott was born on the site of the present home of Doctor Smith, at Venice, Butler county, Ohio, October 18, 1851, a son of Dr. Francis and Margaret (Dick) Scott. On the maternal side he is a descendant of Col. William Anderson, a Revolutionary soldier, who was a brother of the eminent Judge Ferguson Anderson, of Butler county. Dr. Francis Scott was born in England and was a lad when he accompanied his parents to the United States, the family settling in Muskingum county, Ohio, where he received his early education, this being supplemented by a course at the Medical College of Cincinnati. For some years Doctor Scott practiced at Venice, Ohio, then at Shandon, but eventually turned his attention to farming and passed the closing years of his life in the pursuits of the soil. In his father's family, the other children were: Mathew, William,
John A. Scott, who has long held precedence as one of the representative farmers of Butler county, resides upon a well improved farm, which was owned and developed by his father. This attractive rural home is located near the village of Shandon, from which it receives service on one of the rural mail routes. John Albert Scott was born at Shandon, this county. In January, 1855, and is a son of James and Anna C. (Jones) Scott. James Scott was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, where his father, John Scott, was a pioneer farmer. James Scott represented his native state as a valiant soldier of the Union in the Civil war, and he was twenty-one years of age when he established his residence at Shandon, Butler county, where he engaged in the work of his trade, that of shoemaker. There his marriage was solemnized, and five years later he and his wife removed to the farm now owned and operated by their only son, the subject of this sketch, this being the old homestead of Thomas F. Jones. Mrs. Anna C. (Jones) Scott was a daughter of John C. and Jane Jones, both of whom were born
J. B. Scott, M. D. The dean of the medical profession of Hamilton, Ohio, Dr. J. B. Scott, has been in continuous practice in this city for more than forty-five years. During the greater part of this extended period of time he has occupied an acknowledged place among the most skilled and esteemed physicians of Butler county, where his labors have also tended to advance the interests of morality, education, religion and good citizenship. Doctor Scott was born near Uniontown, Fayette county, Pa., in 1849, a son of Wilson and Anna (Woodward) Scott, his father being a mechanic throughout his life. The early education of Doctor Scott was secured in the country schools of Fayette county, following which he attended the Fayette County Normal school, and for two years was engaged in teaching in the rural districts. Next he read medicine under Dr. G. W. Newcomber, at Collinsville, Pa., and subsequently enrolled as a student at the Physico Medical college of Cincinnati, where he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1870. His first locations were at Collinsville and New Salem, but in 1874 took up his residence and established his practice at Hamilton,
C. Edward Sebald holds precedence as one of the representative business men of Middletown and as a scion of one of the old and influential families whose name has been prominently and worthily linked with the annals of Butler county. Mr. Sebald is assistant cashier of the substantial banking house of the Oglesby & Barnitz company, at Middletown, an institution that was founded in 1850; is a member of the board of commissioners of his home city; is secretary and treasurer of the William Sebald Realty company; and is a director of the American Building & Loan association, which has given important service in connection with the civic and material development and upbuilding of Middletown. C. Edward Sebald was born at Middletown, Ohio, August 11, 1866, and is a son of William and Mary E. (Dieg) Sebald, the former of whom was born and reared in Germany and the latter of whom was born at Hamilton, Ohio. William Sebald emigrated to America in the year 1859, and he became eventually one of the leading citizens of Butler county, whose history bears definite record of his worthy life and worthy achievement. He whose name introduces this review acquired his early education in the public schools of Middletown and supplemented this discipline by a four months' course in a commercial college. His association with the historic banking house of the Oglesby & Barnitz company had its inception in 1885, when he was a youth of eighteen years, and he has held for a long period the position of assistant cashier of this institution. In 1910 he was instrumental in effecting the incorporation of the William Sebald Realty company, which was organized primarily for the purpose of handling effectively the appreciable amount of valuable real estate left by his widowed mother at the time of her death. This corporation erected the Sebald block, one of the modern business structures of Middletown, and it erected also the Castell office building, the first six-story structure built in this city, besides which it has been otherwise influential in furthering real estate improvement at the Butler county city. Mr. Sebald is a member of the directorate of the bank of which he is assistant cashier, is a director and the appraiser of the American Building & Loan association, and a director of the Sebald Beverage company, which is developing one of the flourishing business enterprises of Middletown.
Rudolph Seegar, of Ross township, Butler county, Ohio, is typical of the young agriculturists of his state who understands how to get the largest and best returns from his land. The farm occupied by this young man is owned by his mother and is considered most promising as a revenue producer, as the crop yield is always up to expectations. He also rents other lands. He was born in Ross township, a son of Gottlieb and Johanna (Schellheimer) Seegar. His time is well occupied and his success has been due to his own efforts and what he has accomplished has been well merited. The father, Gottlieb Seegar, was born in Germany and came to this country when yet a young man. He settled in Ross township and married Johanna Schellheimer. Five children resulted from this union, three of whom, Leonard, Albert and an infant, have since passed away, Rudolph and Lorine surviving. Since the death of Gottlieb Seegar the farm has been under the management of Rudolph, the widow and daughter, Lorine, residing with the latter. The members of the family are consistent and devoted members of St. John's Evangelical church. Rudolph has membership in the Modern Woodmen and is a regular attendant at the lodge meetings, manifesting a deep interest in the proceedings and being always mindful of the best interests of the organization.
George Selby. Naturally a man's success in life is judged by the standing which he attains in business, financial and social circles, and when he figures prominently in all then he may be said to have accomplished much. George Selby, of West Middletown, Ohio, where he is carrying on agricultural operations in a modest way, is one of the successful men of his locality, and in the past was an important figure in agricultural circles. On both sides of the family he is descended from pioneers of the Miami valley. The Selbys
Peter Selby. It was the fate of Peter Selby to rear such a structure of business and character success, that now, although a quarter of a century has joined the past since his death, August 24, 1891, the memory of him burns brightly in the hearts and minds of the friends who loved him, and of such survivors of the business contingent as were associated with him during his forty-four years of residence in Madison township, Butler county. As in life, mention of this early carpenter and agriculturist brings to mind a loyal, courteous and high thinking man, one who took his way in all gentleness through the world, leaving people and conditions better than when he first found them. Mr. Selby was born near Carlisle, Warren county, O., a son of Middleton and Rachael (Coon) Selby, and a grandson of Zephania Selby, a native of Holland. Middleton Selby was born in Holland and was a young man when he came to the United States and located in Ohio. He was a learned man for his day, and when not engaged in farming taught in the rural schools and became widely and favorably known as an educator. In later years the family moved to Madison township, Butler county, and settled on Browns Run, but Middleton Selby's death occurred at Pontiac, O. His operations in agriculture were decidedly successful, and at his death he left an estate of $30,000, considered very large for his time. In public life he wielded a distinct influence for good in his community, and for twenty-four years was township trustee, also served as justice of the peace. His
Joseph Sertel, veteran of the Civil war, has the distinction of being the oldest manufacturer of brooms in Butler county. This highly respected resident of Union township has carried on this industry since 1868, a period of more than a half a century, and has also engaged to some extent in farming, and throughout his entire career has manifested the possession of high ideals of business and citizenship. Mr. Sertel was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 21 1846 a son of Peter and Magdalena Sertel, natives of the same country. The parents started with their children for the United States, but during the journey one of the daughters was lost at sea by falling overboard. The little party eventually landed at New Orleans, but on the boat coming up the Mississippi river the father succumbed to a fatal malady, and was buried at Louisville, Ky. Finally the mother and her children arrived at Cincinnati, where Joseph Sertel completed his education and grew to manhood. His first employment was as a cigarmaker in that city, but in 1864 he enlisted in the 183d Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which organization he fought bravely in the engagements in which it participated until the close of the war. After securing his honorable discharge he came to Butler county and for six years lived at Longs Corner, and during that time, in 1868, began the manufacture of brooms. In 1872 he located at Pisgah, where, two years later, he built his present factory, and at this time manufactures and disposes of about 2,500 dozen brooms annually. The firm is now known as J. Serte1 & Sons, and Mr. Serte1 is acknowledged to be the oldest manufacturer of brooms in Butler county. At various times the factory has been added to and new machinery installed, and at present it turns out a finished product of excellent grade that meets with a steady and satisfying demand. Mr. Sertel, during his career, has also been something of an agriculturist, and his labors in this connection have resulted in his securing a large, valuable and productive property in Union township. He is a man of the strictest integrity, who compels respect by reason of the honorable manner in which he conducts himself in business circles and civic life, and his acquaintance includes some of the best men of the county. For several years he served his community capably in the capacity of school director and in other ways has rendered constructive service. In matters pertaining to politics he supports the Republican party, and his fraternal affiliation is with the local lodge of the Knights of Pythias. January 1, 1872, Mr. Sertel married Emma Jane Slayback, and to this union there have been born six children, all of whom are living. Blanche resides with her parents. Edwin J. married Lillie Huff and they have one child, Marcena; Earl L. married Elva Bunnell and they have three children: Marie, Grace and Viola. Clifton A. married Anna Deemer and they have one
Mrs. Mary A. Shaeffer, who is a highly esteemed resident of West Middletown, Ohio, is the widow of the late John P. Shaeffer, who, for many years was one of the most substantial business men of Butler county. Mrs. Shaeffer was born near Brown's run, Butler county, Ohio, daughter of Jacob and Mary Huntsbarger. Her father was a pioneer settler in the county and a man of an honest and upright life. Mrs. Shaeffer has the following brothers and sisters: Jacob, Peter, John, Dallas, Elizabeth, Mrs. O. Huffman; and Catherine, Mrs. J. Francis. Mrs. Shaeffer attended the public schools in the neighborhood of her father's farm, and was reared to capable young womanhood by a good and careful mother. To her marriage with John P. Shaeffer one son was born, Lynnwood, who is in business at Cincinnati. He has two sons, Donald and Virgil. During the greater part of Mr. Shaeffer's life he was a lumber merchant at West Middletown and had interests all over the county. His death in 1913, was very generally deplored, for he was a man of fine character, beloved in his family and ever ready to be helpful as a neighbor or citizen. Mrs. Shaeffer occupies her beautiful home at West Middletown. She is a member of the Presbyterian church: William L. Shaeffer. To a contemplative and analytical mind, it is an interesting, pleasant and instructive task to trace through its various stages the career of a man who, by energy, persistence, self-reliance and steadfast adherence to what he believes to be right, has risen to the highest municipal position in the community of which he is a member. Such a career has been that of Hon. William L. Shaeffer, mayor of Seven Mile, O., and one of his locality's most prominent and influential business citizens. Mr. Shaeffer was born near Collinsville, Ohio, in April, 1874, and is a son of John and Sarah Alice (Young) Shaeffer, both of Butler county, Ohio. John Shaeffer had a public school education, and during the greater part of his life resided in Preble county, where he was engaged in successful farming operations. He died October 19, 1912, while his widow survives him and makes her home at Seven Mile. They were the parents of the following children: William L.; Charles Elmer, formerly a farmer and now engaged in the elevator business with his brother, William L.; Ohmer, formerly a farmer, but now a merchant at Seven Mile, married Edith Fort; Laura, the wife of Ed Dome, of Collinsville; and Ralph, a conductor on the Pennsylvania railroad, running out of Akron. William L. Shaeffer attended the public schools at Morning Sun and spent one year at the Morning Sun high school, and remained with his parents, carrying on farming, until 1902. In that year he removed to a farm on the Trace road, where during the next ten years he carried on operations, and in 1912 settled at Seven Mile, where he bought the grain elevator formerly owned by R. A. Campbell, and invested $7,500 in new equipment. The elevator was thus entirely remodeled, with a track scale, new office, and other improvements, and the citizens of this community being favorably impressed by such a display of
James M. Shaffer. Among the substantial, progressive and highly esteemed residents of Jacksonboro, few have displayed during their careers a higher order of citizenship or have established a better record for success won honorably, than has James M. Shaffer. A business man of many years' standing here, he has at all times combined a regard for the advancement of his community with his desire for personal prosperity, and has thus placed himself in the class that forms the most desirable element that any locality can maintain. Mr. Shaffer was born at Jacksonboro, Ohio, a son of Samuel and Mary (Jarrett) Shaffer, natives of Germany. His parents were early settlers of this part of the Miami valley, where they rounded out honorable and useful careers and were highly respected by their neighbors and acquaintances because of their many admirable qualities of mind and heart. The parents both died at Jacksonboro, the father May 30, 1892, and the mother, at an advanced age, November 8, 1912. Of their six children, but three survive: Ada, who is now Mrs. W. B. Schenck, of West Middletown; W. H., who resides at Middletown; and James M. James M. Shaffer was educated in the public schools and reared to habits of industry and honesty and early became self-supporting. One of his boon companions during boyhood was J. M. Cox, present governor of Ohio, and the ties of friendship formed during those early days still exist, ripened by the passage of the years. During
William H. Shaffer. The retired colony at Middletown was augmented twelve years ago by the arrival of William H. Shaffer, who since that time has resided quietly at his home on Curtis avenue. Up to the time of his retirement from active pursuits, Mr. Shaffer had been extensively engaged for many years in farming in Preble county, where he had built up a substantial fortune through industry and good management, and where he had likewise been successful in establishing himself in public confidence. The reputation which preceded him as a citizen of public spirit and general worth has been substantiated and strengthened since his arrival at Middletown, where he has been identified with a number of beneficial movements. Mr. Shaffer was born near Jacksonboro, Butler county, Ohio, June 19, 1848, a son of Samuel and Mary (Jarrett) Shaffer. His parents, natives of Pennsylvania, came at an early date to Butler county, where the father, a wagon maker by trade, followed that vocation in conjunction with farming. There were six children in the family: Elizabeth, Ella and Samuel, all of whom are deceased; William H. of this notice; Mrs. Ada Schenck, of Winchester Pike; and James M., of Jacksonboro. William H. Shaffer was educated in the public schools and reared to farming, a vocation which he adopted as his own when he reached man's estate. For some years he was a landowner in Butler and later owned 150 acres in Preble county upon which he made modern and valuable improvements. He continued to devote his energies to farming until 1907, in which year he decided to turn his
William A. Shafor, a noted farmer, cattle and sheep raiser and progressive, enterprising citizen, son of Peter and Elizabeth (Cheeseman) Shafor, comes from that sturdy class of pioneers who early paved the way for succeeding generations to develop and increase the resources as well as promote the prosperity and happiness of our beloved commonwealth. He was born January 25, 1855, in Lemon township, Butler county, Ohio, in a log cabin erected by John Gregory in the days of the pioneer, and the house is still standing, a mute but most impressive reminder and testimonial of those early times. Peter Shafor, the father, was born near Excello, Lemon township, February 5, 1825, and was the son of William and Jane (Ryerson) Shafor. William Shafor was born in Somerset county, New Jersey, in 1783. When six years of age he came with his father to Lexington, Ky., and in 1803, with him to Ohio. He served in the war of 1812 and fought the British and Indians. He kept a diary which is still preserved and gives an interesting account of the battles and sufferings of the soldiers. He was remarkable in longevity of life, retaining his sprightliness and activity up to nearly the time of his death. When ninety-one years of age he joined the Presbyterian church. He died in the ninety-eighth year of his age. Peter Shafor was married in Butler county, to Elizabeth Cheeseman, December 6, 1849, who was born in New Jersey, September 16, 1830, and lived in Lemon and Liberty townships, and were the parents of six children, of whom William, the subject of this sketch, was the second-born; the others, John, Hannah, Mrs. Frank Hughes, Elizabeth, Mrs. Edward McHugh, wife of a Methodist minister; Ira and Lewis. Peter Shafor was a very active and enterprising man and took a quite prominent part in every movement which had for its aim and purpose the benefit of the people and the advancement of the interests of the community. He was a noted cattleman, bought much feeding stock and was foremost in the movement for pure-bred cattle. He it was, also, who introduced Galloway cattle from Canada into the State of Ohio, and at a time when his course was considered very much of a venture. He was one of the originators of the Polled Durham
John C. Sharkey. The present mayor of the thriving community of Somerville, Ohio, John C. Sharkey, has been identified prominently with civic affairs for many years and through his individual services as well as by cooperation with other progressive and constructive citizens, has done much to advance his city's interests. Mr. Sharkey has rendered faithful service to the public also in another than a civic way, for he has been station and express agent of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Somerville for the past twenty years, during which time he has discharged his duties in an expeditious and capable manner, thus largely accelerating the movement of traffic and the matter of transportation. John C. Sharkey was born at Somerville, Ohio, April 25, 1865, a son of John and Mary (Croughen) Sharkey. His parents, natives of County Roscommon, Ireland, grew up in their native place, where they were married, and came to the United States on their wedding trip, their first location being in New York state. Subsequently they located at Hamilton, and also lived at Somerville, and John Sharkey, a stone mason and contractor, did considerable work in these lines in Butler and Preble counties. He was a man widely
James Earl Shaw. The well equipped garage and auto repair shop with James Earl Shaw as its proprietor is known as one of the most up-to-date concerns in Millville, Ross township, Butler county, Ohio. The business is a growing one and is patronized by autoists, farmers as well as pleasure seekers of the village and surrounding country. Although young in years he understands thoroughly every minute point of the business and is thereby enabled to satisfy his patrons. He was born in Ross township, Butler county, Ohio, June 8, 1886, being the elder of two sons of Plim and Catherine (Rolhemel) Shaw, the other son being Silas. James Earl Shaw received his education in the schools of Ross township and later took
Daniel Millikin Sheley, son of Roderick and Sidney (Catterlin) Sheley, was born in Fairfield township, Butler county, Ohio, December 14, 1835. Roderick came to Butler county with his parents who settled in Fairfield township. He was born in Virginia, and prior to coming to Butler county, lived for a short time in Greene county with his parents. Beside Roderick there were two brothers and two half-sisters. One of the brothers, William D. Sheley, served in the War of 1812. Roderick was married in Butler county to Sidney Catterlin, daughter of Darby Catterlin, and after their marriage until the time of their death, lived in Fairfield township. To them were born the following children: Mary, Mrs. William Cruzen, lived in Butler county; Darby, lived in Greene county, Ohio; Ann M., Mrs. Benjamin Harkrader, lived in Paris, Ill.; Belizant, Mrs. Robert Elliott, lived in Warren county, Ind.; Cynthia Ann; Samuel; Jacob; Daniel Millikin, subject of this sketch; William; Bayless; and T. Ellen, Mrs. Marcellus Thomas, of Hamilton, Ohio. Daniel M. Sheley has, throughout his long life, been very actively engaged, and many public honors have been bestowed upon him by his friends through their suffrage and otherwise. As a boy, through the district and private schools and a course in the Commercial college at Hamilton he secured his educational qualifications to fit himself for life's duties, and at once turned his attention to farming. From the outset, his capabilities received recognition, and continuously he was called to serve in responsible public positions. He has been in charge of all the township offices: Trustee, treasurer, and board of education, the latter for a period of twenty-five years. He next entered the Internal Revenue service as storekeeper and gauger, and was later elected to the office of county commissioner for the term 1892-98. During that time many important and necessary improvements were undertaken and completed, among them a number of modern bridges, some of which were lost in the disastrous and memorable flood of 1913. In 1859, Mr. Sheley was married to Gertrude Miller, daughter of A. P. and Elizabeth (Whitehill) Miller, who then lived on the place now occupied by Mr. Sheley. The children of A. P. and Elizabeth Miller now living are: Caroline, Mrs. Richter, lives in Council Grove, Kans.; Fanny, Mrs. Richter, lives in Wichita, Kans.; George M., of Hamilton. For one year after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Sheley lived in St. Clair township,
Oliver N. Shellabarger, D. V. M. In the profession of veterinary medicine in Butler county, one who has made rapid strides in the direction of success although practically a newcomer in the calling is Oliver N. Shellabarger, whose practice radiates in all directions from his central residence place of College Corner. A young and enthusiastic devotee of his calling, he brings to it a natural predilection supplemented by careful training in an institution of specialized knowledge and if the past may be taken as a criterion, the future holds much in store for him as a practitioner. Doctor Shellabarger was born at Union, in the northern part of Montgomery county, Ohio, October 9, 1888, a son of Enos and Rebecca (Weybright) Shellabarger, the former a native of Union and the latter of West Milton, this state. The paternal grandparents of Doctor Shellabarger were natives of Lancaster county, Pa., who as young married people came to Montgomery county, Ohio, and settled down to lives spent in agricultural pursuits, while the maternal grandparents came from West Milton, Ohio, where the family had been early settlers. Enos Shellabarger continued to be engaged in farming and stock raising throughout his life and was one of the substantial and highly respected men of his community. He was buried at Minnich cemetery, while his widow still survives him as a highly esteemed resident of West Milton. They were the parents of the following children: Margaret, who became the wife of Walter Firth of Dayton; Gertrude, who married Charles Weaver of that city; Almina, who married Vern Garber, of Biloxi, Miss.; Edna, who became the wife of Ezra Kimmel, of Brookville, Ohio; Elmer, a farmer of Butler county; Lee, a mechanic of Dayton, who married Irene Foreman. Ward, a farmer of the Union community of Montgomery county who married Emma Slough; and Oliver N. Oliver N. Shellabarge; attended the public schools of Randolph township, and a high school
Caleb A. Shera. The career of Caleb A. Shera is strongly entrenched in the financial history of Butler county. The city of Oxford, which witnessed the beginning of his career, offered a promising field for the young man of but limited experience, and the citizens who have watched his rise have never had cause to regret the faith they placed in his energy, enthusiasm and ability. He has grown into his opportunities, has fashioned his resources to his needs, and has reflected dignity, sincerity and genuine worth upon a field of effort for which he is singularly and even admirably equipped. Caleb A. Shera was born on a farm four miles west of Oxford, Butler county, Ohio, October 23, 1851, a son of John and Margaret Shera. His father was still little more than a lad when he emigrated to the United States from his native County Sligo, Ireland, first locating in Butler county, whence, thirteen years later, came the lady who subsequently became his wife, she having first stayed for a short time in Franklin county, Ind., after her arrival in this country from County Sligo. They were honorable and highly respected farming people of Butler county, where they lived until 1869, in that year removing to the city of Oxford, where the father died at the pleasant family home on North Beech street, November 8, 1902, at an advanced age, while the mother survived until December 18, 1904. They were the parents of seven children, as follows: Eliza S., who married Thomas Greer; Mary E., who married George Munns and lived at Oxford; James H.; Sarah A.; Caleb A., of this notice; William, who married Hattie Roudebush and resides at Oxford; Charles, who married
Ernest L. Sherman, Jr. Nine years of faithful and efficient service in the employ of the American Rolling mill at Middletown have served to make Ernest L. Sherman one of the workers of that plant depended upon for capable performance of duty. When he located at Middletown, in 1911, he came as a stranger, but at this time he has a wide acquaintance and numerous friends and is looked upon as one of the substantial citizens of his adopted community. Mr. Sherman was born at Pittsburg, Pa., July 20, 1886,
John M. Shirey, a rougher, is another of the skilled workmen who comprise the fine operative force at the extensive shops of the American Rolling Mills company, which represents an important part of the iron and steel industry in America, and also the most important industrial enterprise in the city of Middletown, Butler county. He has been in the employ of this company since 1912, when he came to Middletown from Cumberland, Maryland, where he had been in similar service. He is loyal to all civic duties and responsibilities and in political matters is independent. Mr. Shirey was born in the city of Muncie, Ind., July 26, 1885, and there his father died in 1886, his mother being still a resident of that city. He is the youngest of the children; Raydell is a resident of Daleville, Ind.; Walter maintains his residence in the
Albert Y. Shollenbarger. During the two decades that he has been a resident of Hamilton, Albert Y. Shollenbarger has advanced from a youth whose main assets were his inherent ability and ambition, to a man of substance and standing, and at this time is the proprietor, with his brother, Harry W., of a prosperous and successful automobile agency. Mr. Shollenbarger was born on a farm in the vicinity of Collinsville, Butler county, Ohio, September 2, 1876, a son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Shollenbarger, the former of whom, now deceased, was a farmer and for a number of years engaged in the grain, live stock and implement business, while the latter is still living at the home of her daughter, Ruth, at Collinsville. There were seven children in the family, of whom one died in infancy, the others being: Harry W., of Columbus, who has charge of the credit department of the Ohio City Gas company, and is also interested in the automobile business with his brother at Hamilton, is married and has two children; James E., a farmer of Butler county, who is married and has one son; Nellie, the wife of W. G. Jones, an agriculturist of Glenwood, Ind., with one son; Dolores, the wife of Carl Fisher, telegraph operator and ticket agent at Collinsville, with two children; Ruth, living at home with her mother, a brilliant and talented woman who is a teacher in the Western college, Oxford, Ohio; and Albert Y. Albert Y. Shollenbarger was educated in the graded schools of Collinsville, following his graduation from which he was engaged for two years in farming in association with his father. He came to Hamilton first some twenty years ago, but in 1910, removed with his brother, Harry W., to Oxford, Ohio, where he embarked in the livery business and continued therein for six years. Returning to Hamilton in April, 1916, he started in his present business, and now has the agency for Oakland, Allen and Grann automobiles, the Bernstein truck and the Elgin tractor. He conducts a large and well appointed