John Turner Stiles, son of Charles and Mary Murhouse (Selvey) Stiles, was born at St. Clairsville, Ohio, February 2, 1873. His mother was also born in St. Clairsville, while his father was a native of New Jersey. The mother's death occurred at Bellaire, Ohio, March 10, 1917; the father is still living. Our subject was one of six children in the family, two of whom are deceased: Lillian, who married John Ritter, is now deceased; Charles and William, in Lancaster, Ohio; Bessie, Mrs. J. Fortner, in Deposit, N. Y.; Osceola, who was Mrs. Warren Dixon, is deceased. July 14, 1895, Mr. Stiles was married to Anna Martin, daughter of John and Sara (Murrin) Martin, of Murrinsville, Pa. Mrs. Stiles had two brothers: George, deceased, and James, who for forty years has been with the H. K. Porter Locomotive works, Pittsburg, Pa. The fathers of both Mr. and Mrs. Stiles served in the Civil war, and each sustained serious injury. Mrs. Stiles' father died when she was a mere girl; the mother died in November, 1915, at Pittsburg. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Stiles: George Emery, James Martin, John Turner, who died December 21,1912; William Clifford, Anna Virginia, who died November 27, 1912; Thomas Benjamin, who died April 21, 1913; Warren Joseph, who died April 30, 1915; and Robert Paul. Three of the deaths occurred within a year - a particularly severe affliction. In 1911, the family moved to Middletown, when Mr. Stiles took a position at the American Rolling Mill company as roller and has since been steadily employed at that plant. The family has a comfortable home on Garfield avenue, where their friends are always given a cordial welcome. Mr. Stiles is a member
Jacob Stock. During the '50s the Stock family located in the Miami valley. Industry, energy, honesty and fidelity, are some of the most marked characteristics of the Stocks, these qualities being especially prominent in the strength of character exhibited by Jacob Stock, of Wayne township. Mr. Stock was born in Bavaria, Germany, January 6, 1839, a son of Frederick and Louisa (Bessburd) Stock, natives of the same country, where they passed their entire lives. They were the parents of eight children, but only the following emigrated to the United States: Christian, who came in 1854 and first located at Seven Mile, Ohio, where he farmed until his removal to Nebraska, his death occurring in the latter state; Louisa, who married Henry Snively, came in 1854, and located at Seven Mile where both she and her husband died; Susan, who married Henry Schaefer and lived at Seven Mile, where both passed away; and Jacob. Jacob Stock was educated in the home schools of his native land, and was eighteen years of age when he came to America, where he had been preceded by his brother and sisters. In 1857 he commenced farming for Samuel P. Withrow, in Butler county, and later worked for Nathan Jacoby, but as soon as he was able to gather together sufficient funds he ceased working for others and became the proprietor of a rented farm. Thus established, Mr. Stock erected a home of his own by his marriage to Eva Eis, a daughter of John and Dorothea Eis. Mr. Eis was eight years of age when he came to the United States with his parents from Germany, while his wife was a native of Ohio. For fifteen years Mr. Eis worked in the Gebhart & Marshall foundry at Dayton, and when he heard the call of President Lincoln for troops, he enlisted in the Union cause, meeting a soldier's death two years later on the battlefield of Pea Ridge, his widow dying some time later at Dayton. They were the parents of three children: Mrs. Stock; Caroline, deceased, who was the wife of the late Bernhart Renheit; and William, of Chicago, Ill. After marriage, Mr. Stock located at Seven Mile for two years, subsequently spent a short period in Wayne township, and then went to near Somerville, on the county line, where he made his home for four years. He next spent two years on the Trace road on the old Snively farm, and one year on Robert Elliott's place, and finally purchased a farm of 124 acres in section 17, Wayne township. This land was in poor condition and the buildings and equipment badly run down, but Mr. Stock soon remedied matters and within a comparatively short space of time the land was producing large crops, the buildings were substantial and attractive, the equipment was modern in character and effective in use, and the whole breathed an air of prosperity that spoke volumes for its new owner. Mr. Stock continued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits on this land until 1907, which had been increased to 211 acres, all located in sections 17 and 20, Wayne township. During his active years, Mr. Stock's business interests always claimed his attention and time, and through careful management, he overcame many obstacles and steadily worked his way upward until prosperity crowned his labors
John C. Stout. Since 1911 the hardware and implement store of John C. Stout has occupied a position of importance among the business houses of College Corner, where it has grown and developed under the impetus formed by the enterprise, industry and good management of its proprietor. Mr. Stout, one of the live and energetic citizens of his community, for the welfare of which he has always been a constructive worker, also has other interests and at this time is the owner of an automobile business which he operates in conjunction with his hardware business. He was born April 29, 1871, at College Corner, a son of Ichabod and Jennie (Campbell) Stout, the former born near College Corner and the latter a native of this place, where she is still living. Ichabod Stout, who was one of the highly respected men of his community during his day, followed farming throughout his life, or until his retirement two years before his death, which occurred May 24, 1917. There were eight children in the family: John C., George, Arthur, Bertha, Harry, Fred, Ruth and Ralph, the last-named of whom was at the Great
Harry Strauss, successfully engaged in the furniture business at Hamilton, has obtained a firm standing among the rising young merchants of the city, and this satisfying result has been attained through close attention to business, although he is of foreign birth and has been a resident of Hamilton only about ten years. His success is typical of the ability of his fellow-countrymen to accept the opportunities offered them in this country and to utilize them in a manner that results in the acquirement of honorable success. Mr. Strauss was born in Russia, in 1887, and received his education in his native land. There he became a merchant in a small way, but his opportunities for broadening the scope of his enterprise were limited, and he eventually decided to try his foretune in the United States, to which country he made his way as an emigrant in 1910. Locating at Hamilton, he embarked in a modest manner in the second-hand furniture and junk business, but after two years dropped the latter and began to add a stock of new furniture to his establishment. As his business prospered he added to his equipment and facilities, and in March, 1919, moved to the large three-story building at the corner of Third and Ludlow streets, where he has floor space of 36x60 feet, in addition to a store room on Ludlow street, 50x60 feet. He occupies two entire floors, devoted entirely to storerooms and salesrooms, and as soon as conditions permit will install elevator service, when he will open the third floor, also as a salesroom. At this time Mr. Strauss carries a complete line of furniture, carpets, rugs and linoleums, and is doing an excellent business.
Joseph L. Strauss, of Middletown, who has for a number of years been connected with the American Rolling mill plant, and who has also gained much more than a local reputation in the unique field of amateur photography, was born at Wheeling, W. Va., July 6, 1865, a son of William and Maria (Powers) Strauss, the former of whom is deceased, while the latter still survives. There were four children in the family: Joseph L.; Harry, who is deceased; William, a resident of Wheeling, W. Va., and Hester, the wife of Michael Burke of that city. The father of Mr. Strauss fought as a soldier of the Union during the Civil war, and his army experience doubtless had its effect upon his health, for he died not long after the close of that struggle, when his son Joseph was still a small boy. The latter had to be content with a common school education and he was still little more than a lad when he entered upon his apprenticeship to his trade. For a number of years he worked in various mills in different parts of the country, but eventually came to Middletown, where he entered the American Rolling mill, and has been employed by that concern ever since, at the present time filling the position of sheet roller. He is an industrious workman, a master of his trade, and a man who inspires confidence by his personality and character. He also has a brilliant intellect and much artistic taste, and these have assisted him to become something of a genius in the art of taking kodak pictures. He has developed his skill in this field to a point where he is able to compete with the most highly perfected, and recently in a contest held at the Ohio Mechanics institute, at Cincinnati, he won first prize with his pictures over a field of 250 competitors, among whom were a number of college men. Many of his best specimens adorn the walls of his beautiful home on Woodlawn avenue, recently purchased by Mr. Strauss. In politics he stands for principle, while his fraternal connection is with the local Odd Fellows lodge. November 23, 1887, Mr. Strauss married Minnie, daughter of George and Catherine (Kuhn) Weigand. She has two brothers and one sister: John and George Weigand, of Cincinnati; and Anna, the wife of John Fuehner, of Middletown. Four children have been born to this union: Anna and Joseph L., who reside with their parents; George, who is in the United States service; and Leonard, who married Edna, daughter of James and Annie (Nolan) Martin, and has one child, Leonard, jr. Mr. Weigand, who fought as a soldier during the Civil war, is deceased, having passed away September 1, 1892; but his widow still survives and makes her home at Middletown.
William Stringham has been actively associated with the American Rolling Mills company from the time this important iron and steel corporation initiated operations at its fine and extensive plant at Middletown, Butler county, in 1901, and since 1912 he has held the position of superintendent of the sheet-metal department. He has won secure vantage-ground as one of the broad-gauged and progressive citizens of Middletown, and formerly served as a member of the city council. Mr. Stringham was born December 1, 1875, at New Albany, Ind. In the public schools of his native town he acquired his youthful education, and in Indiana he served also the apprenticeship that eventuated in his becoming an expert artisan in the iron and steel industry. When the American Rolling Mills company established its modern manufactory at Middletown, in 1901, Mr. Stringham came here as one of the original corps of expert employees, and he continued his service as a roller in the mills until 1912, when he was advanced to his present responsible office, in which he has made an admirable record. His personal qualities and invariable fairness have gained and retained to him the confidence and high regard of the workmen, as well as the officials, of the company, in fact his genial personality wins him friends on every side. One who knows him well has stated succinctly that "Everyone who knows Bill Stringham trusts and likes him," and this is unequivocal commendation. He takes loyal interest in community affairs and is known for his civic liberality and progressiveness. He served four years as a member of the city council and has given his co-operation in the support of those measures and undertakings that have tended to advance the best interests of his home city. His political support
John Henry Summers, the veterinary surgeon of Oxford, is a son of William and Isabelle (Long) Summers, and was born in Oswego, N. Y., November 28, 1872. His parents were natives of County Down, Ireland. William Summers was a successful and well-known landscape gardener, and was married to Isabelle Long in Oswego. To them were born the following children: William, Mary, John Henry, and Margaret. William Summers is a salesman for a Canandaigua, N. Y., concern. Margaret, now deceased, was married to Lawrence C. Fish, a Brooklyn attorney. William Summers the father, is now dead, but Mrs. Summers is living, and resides in Oswego, N. Y. John Henry Summers received his early education in the schools of Oswego, and later attended the Ontario veterinary college at Toronto, Canada. Upon completing his course there, he entered into practice at Liberty, Ind. In 1897 he came to Oxford, Ohio, and has practised here ever since. In 1914 he married Mrs. Fannie (Coleman) Alstaater, of Oxford, who died March 29, 1918. Dr. Summers is active in Odd Fellows' circles. During the World war he sacrificed a great deal of his time for war activities, being prominently identified with all the drives for loans, Red Cross memberships and contributions. He is a capable practitioner of veterinary surgery and medicine, and his humane work is of great value to the community.
W. K. Swan, was born on the old Swan homestead near Camden, Preble county, Ohio, the son of William and Anna Christine (Kramer) Swan. The latter was the daughter of Philip and Mary (Brudenburg) Kramer, formerly of Fredericktown, Md., subsequently coming to Ohio. The subject of this sketch can trace his ancestry back through successive generations to a period preceding the American Revolution. His father was born in Northumberland county, Pa., and his mother near Darrtown, Butler county, Ohio. They were the parents of two children, William K. and Mary. The latter was united in marriage to Leonard Logan, residing near Greensburg, Ind., and to them was born one son, Pane M. Logan. His paternal grandparents who were married June 10, 1777, were Joseph and Catherine (Denny) Swan. Joseph was born February 28, 1758, and died in August, 1826, while his wife was born in May, 1749, and died July 4, 1829. The preceding generation is represented by William Swan and Eleanor Chestnut, great-grandparents. William, their seventh child, who was born February 3, 1791, was married February 1, 1816, to Eliza Kerr, who was born February 2, 1786, and who died July 14, 1862. W. K. Swan attended district school and finished his education at Miami university. On leaving school, he took up farming in Preble county, Ohio, and was elected
Edgar G. Swank, rougher at the American Rolling Mill company plant, is a native of Ohio, a son of George Thomas and Jennie (Kelly) Swank, and was born in Muskingum county. His parents, who are still living, were pioneer settlers in that county, and endured all the trials and hardships of those early days. The Indians were still there and lived in their native state, causing the settlers much uneasiness, great inconvenience and oftentimes placing their lives in jeopardy. Wolves, panthers and similar wild animals abounded. There were no roads and Mr. Swank often cut through brush in front of him as he drove in order that he might make a clearing and thus secure advancement for his team and wagon. Such were some of the early environments of our subject. For sixteen years he was himself a farmer and then entered the rolling mill at Zanesville, Ohio, where he remained until he came to Middleton to take a position as rougher in the local plant. He has two brothers, Lee and Walter, farmers near Zanesville. November 25, 1909, Mr. Swank married Mae Collier, of Wales, daughter of William and Catharine Jenkins. They have no children but have given a good home to and are rearing a beautiful little girl, a niece to Mrs. Swank. Mrs. Swank's father is still living at New Philadelphia, Ohio. Her mother died March 7, 1902. The family has secured a fine home on Baltimore avenue. Mrs. Swank is a member of the First Baptist church and takes an active part in all matters pertaining to the church and its
John D. Swearingen, a retired farmer of Liberty township, was born here in 1854, a son of John D. and Julia (Crane) Swearingen, the former of whom came overland to this county with his father, also named John, from Baltimore county, and located in Union township. John, the grandfather of our subject, was the father of twelve children. He served in the war of 1812 and was widely known throughout the east as a man possessing driving force and ability. John D. Swearingen, sr., grew to manhood on the farm and was so enthralled by the outdoor life that he remained an agriculturist to the end of his days. He was the father of seven children, of whom two are now living; John D., jr., and Margaret. The former received his education in the schools of Liberty township and at the Lebanon Normal school, farming during his vacations. Then for an intermediate period of three years he acted as station agent at Hughes station; but the lure of the land was strong upon him so he relinquished the telegraph key for the plow, and took up agriculture on the 153-acre farm on which he now resides. This farm was the old Morrow farm and it was here that the first post-office in Liberty township was located. He has always conducted a general farming business and has achieved eminent success in his vocation. Mr. Swearingen takes a deep interest in the welfare of his community and served for several years as road supervisor and also as a member of the school board. Politically he is affiliated with the Republican party. He was married to Mattie J., daughter of Frank H. McClung. They are the parents of two children: Ruth, who married B. P. Finkbone, and has two children, Martha Jane and Jean; and Naomi, who married R. B. Pond, and has one child, Ralph, jr.
Jacob Theiss, superintendent of the Butler County Infirmary, has occupied this important post since 1913, and during this period has established a splendid record for public service of a capable and conscientious character. Mr. Theiss was born at Hamilton, Ohio, March 19, 1864, a son of Jacob and Barbara (Cooper) Theiss. His parents, natives of Germany, came to the United States as young people and settled at Hamilton, where the father followed his trade of maltster until his death in 1879, at the age of sixty-four years. Mrs. Theiss, who survives her husband, still resides at Hamilton, and is a member of St. John's Evangelical church. There were seven children in the family: Carrie, who died in 1915 as the wife of Fred Weiman; Lucy, of Hamilton, the widow of Charles Brucks; William, connected with the Cincinnati Brewing company, at Hamilton; Jacob; John, who followed the trade of boiler maker until his death in 1906; Minnie, the wife of John Emsfield of Hamilton; and Mollie, who died unmarried. After attending the public schools of Hamilton, Jacob Theiss learned the trade of moulder, which he followed for seven years. Having been industrious and thrifty, he accumulated sufficient capital to establish himself in business as a retail liquor dealer, and conducted a buffet for twelve years, finally disposing of his interests therein to embark in the cement contracting
August Thiel. One of the families of Middletown which is entitled to display the Gold Star as having given one of its members in sacrifice to the insatiate demands of war, is that of August Thiel, one of whose sons, Frederick, met a soldier's death while serving his country on the bloody fields of Flanders. August Thiel is one of the reliable and substantial citizens of Middletown, where he is one of the head machinists at the Shartle Brothers Machine shop, and owns a beautiful home on McKinley avenue. He is a Republican, although not an office seeker, and he and the members of his family are consistent members and generous supporters of the Lutheran church. Mr. Thiel was married, July 24, 1884, at London, Ohio, to Wilhelmina Springer, and to this union there were born ten children: Elizabeth; Frank, who married Nora McCarthy; John, who married Clara Gardner, of Blanchester, Ohio; Frederick, who went to France with the Rainbow Division and was killed in action, June 17, 1917; Ernest. who went to France with the Rainbow Division, and who remained in the service with the Army of Occupation in Germany; Marie, who is a stenographer at the offices of the American Rolling Mill; Paul, who saw service in the
Harry Thobe, a well-known contractor and builder of Oxford, Ohio, was born at Covington, Ky., February 11, 1870, a son of George H. and Mollie (Evans) Thobe. The father was a sculptor and carver of splendid ability and eminent reputation, who specialized in all kinds of statuary, among his subjects in replica being the Venus de Milo and other works, which are found ornamenting public institutions and private grounds and estates in various cities. He died in 1917, his wife having passed away about 1900. Their children were: Mollie, Kate, Benjamin, John and Harry. Harry Thobe was given his early education in the public schools, following which he attended a night school and was then given an opportunity to develop his talents by a course in the Ohio Mechanics Institute. When he graduated from that institution he traveled all over the United States, working and studying and preparing himself for his future career. For the most part his employment was as a tile-setter, in which work his artistic sense, inherited from his father, was given full play and he was retained on numerous contracts calling for the construction of pretentious works of ornate character. Eventually he located for a time at Middletown, where he erected a home the exterior of which was entirely of boulder construction, but this he later sold and moved to Oxford. Here he erected a home of original design, combining Spanish and Japanese architecture, very artistic in conception, which has been greatly admired and has come to be one of the show-places of the city. As a contractor, Mr. Thobe makes a specialty of all kinds of artistic boulder and brick construction work, especially sunken gardens, fountains, etc. He built the railroad depot at Oxford and three fraternity houses and gave Miami university its beautiful campus fountain. Various other works have been constructed by him, including business houses, residences, public institutions, etc., and several large solid brick chimneys at Oxford are also of his building. As a citizen he has contented himself with being a supporter of movements which have promised to better his community. In 1898 he was united in marriage with Hyla Kellar, of Oxford, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Solomon Kellar, and to this union there have been born two children: Ralph Kellar, born in 1899, who is associated with his father in his business undertakings; and Myla, born in 1901, who is attending high school and is an accomplished musician and vocalist.
David Thomas. Energy, persistence and patience have been leading factors in the success of David Thomas, who since 1911 has been identified with the American Rolling mill at Middletown. Unlike many of his fellow-employees at this great industrial plant, he did not enter upon his career in the line which he has since made his lifework, but eventually found his proper groove in life in a business for which he is singularly fitted by the inheritance of the strong and stable traits of his Welsh ancestors. Mr. Thomas was born at Sharon, Pa., August 21, 1877, a son of Thomas and Mary (Evans) Thomas, people of Welsh descent, the latter of whom died
Mrs. Elisabeth M. Thomas. Among the highly esteemed residents of Poast Town, one who has won and held the good-will and friendship of the people of her community is Mrs. Elizabeth M. Thomas, whose long residence in Butler county has made her well known to its people. She was born on a farm in Madison township, a daughter of Henry, and Eleanor (Williamson) Paullin, the former born in 1805 in Ohio and the latter in Butler county, Ohio, in 1812. Both parents came of good stock, and after their marriage settled on a farm in Butler county, Ohio, where they spent the rest of their lives in the pursuit of farming and were highly respected in the community in which they made their home. They were the parents of the following children: Jacob K. and Clinton, who are deceased; Mary Ann, who became the wife of S. Cox and is now deceased; Samuel; Elizabeth M., of this review; Sarah Jane, the wife of Mr. Carney, of Germantown; Eleanor, now Mrs. Jonathan Wycoff, of Franklin; and Rachael, the wife of John Smith, of Seven Mile. Elizabeth M. Thomas was reared on the home farm, where she was
Benjamin F. Thompson, was born in Reily township, Butler county, May 2, 1849, the son of Henry and Nancy (Arnold) Thompson, who were natives of Ross township. Except for about fifteen years, during which time he engaged in the butcher's trade, his father followed farming, and it was on the home farm in Butler county that Benjamin, with his brothers Robert and William, and his two sisters, Elizabeth and Susan, spent his early life. He received his education in Reily township but soon after leaving school decided to take up agriculture and rented a farm, following this vocation as a renter for fourteen years. He then established a huckstering business which he carried on successfully for nearly twenty-one years, during which time he purchased the truck farm of four acres on which he is now located and where he is carrying on a profitable business in truck gardening. In 1874 he was married to Malissa, daughter of William and Louise Porter. To this union were born nine children, five of whom, Alva, Nancy, Charles, Laura and Earl, are dead. The four children living are: Arthur, who married Lela McCoy to whom one daughter, Ruth, was born; Harry, who married Loretta Campbell, is the father of two children; Benjamin, who married Elizabeth Webber, and Carl, the youngest, who enlisted in the army during the late European war and was sent overseas where he served in the Air Service from June, 1918, to April, 1919.
Charles James Thompson, sr., whose residence at Middletown covers a period of nine years, during which time he has been identified with the American Rolling mill, has become one of the substantial citizens of his community through the exercise of good
Harry J. Thompson, who is superintendent of the water and gas department of the city of Hamilton, Ohio, is a practical business man and an expert in his line of industry. He was born at Windsor, in Shelby county, Ill. His parents were Freeman B. and Mary Ann Thompson, both of whom were born in Butler county, Ohio. They moved to Shelby county, Ill., where his father became a substantial farmer, but returned to Butler county and located at Hamilton when Harry J. was an infant. Of their family of eight children four sons survive them, as follows: William B., who resides with his family at Hamilton; James, who is a resident of Denver, Col.; George, who enlisted for service in the Spanish-American war, has been a soldier in the United States Army ever since; and Harry J. Following his public school course, Harry J. Thompson learned the plumbing trade and worked at the same until 1895 as an employee, then embarked in a plumbing and heating business for himself, having shops in different sections of the city at different times. In 1909, he purchased the building at No. 233 Main street, which he has occupied ever since, having comfortable living quarters on the upper floor and his plumbing and heating shop and stock below. Mr. Thompson has prospered through thorough knowledge of his trade and great industry, but in the great flood disaster of 1913, he, like others of his fellow citizens, was forced to see a part of his hard won savings swept away. In 1895, Mr. Thompson married Augusta C. Haas, who was born at Hamilton. The loss of their one son was a grievous tragedy, little Gordon Krone being drowned while in swimming, at the age of nine years. Mr. Thompson is identified with three fraternal orders, the Elks, the Eagles and the Monkeys.
Henry Tiemeyer is a popular and able citizen of Hamilton and a leading Democrat, who, since 1912, has been almost continuously before the public either in appointive or elective positions of responsibility. At the present time he is serving his second term in the office of recorder of Butler county, a position in which he has strengthened his hold upon public confidence and esteem by the thorough, capable and conscientious manner in which he has discharged his duties. Mr. Tiemeyer is a native son of Hamilton, and was born October 18, 1860, his parents being Edward and Elizabeth Tiemeyer, who were married in this city. Edward Tiemeyer came to Hamilton as early as 1844 and for many years followed the trade of carpenter, he and his estimable wife being greatly respected as honest, industrious and God-fearing people. The educational advantages of Henry Tiemeyer were limited to attendance at the Parochial schools, but he was a bright and ambitious lad and made the most of his opportunities. When he left school he secured employment with the firm of M. Bare & Co., with which he worked his way up to the post of foreman. Later he became identified with the M. W. Dingfelder Lumber company, as superintendent of yards,
William D. Tillson, a resident of Middletown for nearly four score years, and now retired, has witnessed the progress and development of this community from small beginnings to the realization of ambitious aims. Mr. Tillson was born in 1841, at Middletown, in the home which he now occupies at No. 223 South Clinton street, a son of George L. and Sarah F. (Drake) Tillson. George L. Tillson was born about 1811, in Massachusetts, and at an early day in the history of Butler county made settlement at Middletown, where he met and married Sarah F. Drake, who was born October 2, 1814, in Virginia. Mr. Tillson was a bricklayer and stone mason by trade, as well as a plasterer, and gradually developed his business until he became a prominent contractor, erecting many homes and other buildings at Middletown and in the surrounding country, and giving employment to a large force of mechanics. William D. Tillson received his education in the public schools of Middletown, and while growing to manhood was engaged largely in assisting his father in his contracting business and in learning the trade of paper making. The Civil war found him an ardent Unionist, and in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, 93d Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he was serving when captured by the enemy near Lexington, Ky., September 1, 1862. He was paroled on the field and exchanged under general order No. 191, November 19, 1862, following which he rejoined his regiment. September 19, 1863, at the battle of Chickamauga, he was wounded by a gunshot in the head, and was subsequently transferred to Company I, 19th Regiment, Veteran Reserve Corps, May 22, 1864. Mr. Tillson was honorably discharged July 24, 1865. Throughout his service he displayed marked bravery and his army life was one characterized by a soldierly performance of every duty. Returning to his home, the young soldier again took up the trade of paper making, which he followed off and on throughout the period of his active career, although at various times he was otherwise engaged, notably in a pump works, where he was employed for ten years. He was industrious and painstaking in whatever he undertook, the discipline which he had learned while in the army standing him in good stead, and was given advancement in his various positions. Likewise he was frugal and saving, conserving
J. W. Timberman, who, after many years of hard work, has become one of the substantial farmers and stock raisers of Ross township, Butler county. He is a native of Butler county, and was born May 4, 1851, a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Flickinger) Timberman, and a grandson of Mathew and Elizabeth (Harsley) Timberman. Andrew Timberman was born in Tennessee, and as a youth came to Butler county, where he married Miss Flickinger, a native of this locality. They passed their entire lives here in agricultural pursuits and succeeded in gaining and holding the respect and esteem of the people among whom they made their home for so many years. They were the parents of the following children: Hannah, Susan, Mathew, John, Samuel, Jennie, Catherine, Mary, Andrew and Jess. Among these children is Dr. Andrew Timberman, a graduate physician of the Cincinnati Medical college, and now a leading eye, ear, nose and throat specialist at Columbus, Ohio. J. W. Timberman received his education in the public schools of Butler county and was reared to a farmer's life. When he was ready to enter upon his career he settled on a farm in Ross township, and through great industry succeeded in accumulating 202 acres, all of which but ninety acres has been sold. Mr. Timberman has always been justly regarded as one of the prominent cattle men of his locality and an excellent judge of live stock. He makes frequent trips to the large cattle markets, purchasing cattle for local farmers and cattle men, and rarely indeed is his judgment found at fault. In 1904 Mr. Timberman married Gertrude S., daughter of John and Catherine (Schaeffer) Fry, residents of Reily township, Butler county, who had the following children: William S., who served in the United States Regular Army; George K., Samuel, Mary, Sally, Nettie, Jennie, Mattie, Rush and Gertrude S. In politics Mr. Timberman is a Democrat.
W. L. Tobey. During the extended, active and uniformly successful career of W. L. Tobey, several characteristics have been notable, among them being a great capacity for the accomplishment of able journalistic work and a constant striving after higher ideals and further advancement. Mr. Tobey, who is editor and general manager of the Daily News, of Hamilton, was born November 27, 1870, at Upshur, Preble county, Ohio, and received his early education in the public schools of Winchester, this state. He displayed remarkable prowess in his studies as a lad, and when but fifteen years of age, in 1886, matriculated at Miami university, graduating in 1891 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During his college career he interested himself chiefly in work of a literary character, and was a member of the Miami Union Literary society and the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. With others, he established the Miami Journal, which became subsequently the Miami Student, a publication which gave a faithful picture of college life at Miami
Percy C. Todd. One of the important business enterprises of Hamilton, which has been developed into its present prosperous condition through a careful consideration of the needs and wants of the public, as well as through progressive methods and resourceful ideas of business policy, is the book, stationery and office supply store of Forbes & Todd, located at No. 217 High street. Percy C. Todd of this firm has been identified with the business since 1904, it being his first and only independent venture. He is a native of Champaign county, Ohio, born September 1, 1875, and a son of John E and Jane (Mumper) Todd. The parents of Mr. Todd were born in Pennsylvania, from which state they made the trip overland with their parents in a wagon train. Arriving in Champaign county, they cast their lot with the other early settlers, and after their marriage, the parents located on a farm of their own and became well-to-do agriculturists. Both the Todd and Mumper families became numerous and prosperous, and in one community in Champaign county owned farming land covering an area of ten miles. In addition to being a good agriculturist John E. Todd took a part in the affairs of the community that made him widely and favorably known. Until the entry of the 'Prohibition party into national affairs he was a Republican, but after that cast his support irrevocably with the temperance element and was an earnest worker in its behalf ever after until his death. He was also vitally interested m matters pertaining to the schools, was president of the
W. H. Todhunter, who has been a vigorous figure in the life of Middletown since 1870, was born seventy-six years ago near the village of Monroe, Butler county, Ohio. His sturdy English ancestors early migrated to America, first making their homes in
Frank Treudley, an enterprising and successful merchant of Stockton, Ohio, was born in that place, July 12, 1865, son of Oliver and Orpha (Chambers) Treudley. The father, a soldier in the Civil war, was born near Wheeling, Pa., and the mother in Stockton. After their marriage they settled permanently in Stockton, and for twenty years he acted as agent of the old C. H.. & D. railroad. To them were born five children: Frank, the subject of this review; Minnie Mrs. Curt Smith of Fairfield township, Butler county; Phoebe, married Russel Andrews of Hamilton, Ohio; Tracy; and Almyra P. Frank Treudley, after having finished the course of study in the Stockton schools, became an operator for
F. C. Trowbridge. It is the fortune of some men to rise above their associates, for they possess in a phenomenal degree those attributes which make for success. Their handling of affairs is so masterly that their upward progress is steady and they make prosperous all enterprises with which they are connected. F. C. Trowbridge, for many years one of the substantial business men of Hamilton, is an illustration of the above. Still in the very prime of life, he has already accomplished much more than many men do in a lifetime of continuous effort, and at the same time has not neglected his civic duties, having associated himself with other public-spirited men in the promulgation and successful completion of movements for the general welfare. Mr. Trowbridge was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1865, a son of George W. and Rebecca F. (Sims) Trowbridge, the latter a native of Baltimore, Md. George W. Trowbridge was of English descent, and was for many years engaged in the pork packing business. During the Civil war he was a member of the military guard at Cincinnati, at the time of Morgan's raid, and later was one of the founders of the pork packing firm of Beatty & Trowbridge, which carried on an extensive business at Race and Canal streets, Cincinnati. In his later years, Mr. Trowbridge retired to Crestview Farm, near Glendale, Ohio, but moved to Hamilton, Ohio, to reside with his son after the death of his wife in February, 1917, and passed away at Mercy hospital May 25, 1918. They were the parents of four children: F. C., George J., Archie and James, of whom the two latter are deceased. James, who was a graduate of the Boston School of Technology and had studied in Europe, was a well-known architect with a promising career, when he died in 1887. George J. is a resident of Cincinnati.
F. C. Trowbridge was given excellent educational advantages in his youth, attending the public schools of Butler county and Glendale, Ohio, graduating from Chickering institute in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1883, then attending and finishing a course at Rensselaer Polytechnic institute. With this preparation, he came to Hamilton, where he joined the Black-Clawson company, engaged in the manufacture of paper making machinery, pulp machinery, etc., his first position being that of a draughtsman. He was then sent out on the road as a traveling representative of his concern, an
Frank Truster. For a third of a century Frank Truster has been numbered among the progressive and energetic citizens of Butler county and is at present successfully engaged in farming operations in Wayne township. Following in the footsteps of his father, who was an early resident of this region, he has always been identified with the tilling of the soil, and at the same time has identified himself with measures and enterprises calculated to benefit his community. Mr. Truster was born in Wayne township, January 4, 1866, a son of Louis and Margaret (McFall) Truster. A complete review of this family will be found in the sketch of Jerry Truster, of Collinsville, elsewhere in this work. Frank Truster was educated in the public school at Cotton Run, and when his education was completed he started work as a farm hand and as his father's assistant. He was married in January, 1892, to Sarah Cunningham, who was born in Illinois, a daughter of Andrew Cunningham, a review of whose career will be found in the sketch of Harry H. Cunningham, elsewhere in this publication. After his marriage Mr. Truster settled down to establish and develop a farm and home of his own, and his industry, close application and good management have resulted in the securing of a valuable and productive farm of 175 acres. On this, he carried on general farming and stock raising', and in both departments has demonstrated him
Jerry Truster. At present a retired farmer of Collinsville, Jerry Truster has been one of the industrious men of Butler county, linking his name with all that is admirable in farming and wise and progressive in individual life. He has been a lifelong resident of the county, having been born on a farm in Wayne township, September 21,1861, a son of Louis and Margaret (McFall) Truster, natives also of Butler county, who were married at Somerville. Louis Truster was one of those adventurous souls who answered the call of the west and made the long and hazardous trip across the plains in quest of gold as a "forty-niner," but on his return was content to settle down to the peaceful pursuits of agriculture in Wayne township, dividing his time between farming and wagon making, the latter of which had been his trade in his earlier years. Subsequently he bought the old Pottinger place in the same township, and there occurred the death of his wife in 1866, following which he removed to his home at Dayton, retired from active pursuits, and died at the age of seventy years. He was a man of some influence and importance in his community, and served in the capacity of township trustee, a position to which he was elected on the Democratic ticket. He and his worthy wife were consistent members of the Presbyterian church and the parents of: Louis, a farmer of Hanover township, married Rosa Kefer; Anna, the widow of William Wintersteen; Levi, who died in 1894, married Martha Swope; Emanuel, a farmer of Wayne township, who married Jennette Kirkpatrick; Frank, a farmer of Wayne township, who married Ella Cunningham; Lizzie, who married Jacob Hoffman, of Seven Mile; Ruth, who married George Gentry, of Miltonville, Ohio; and Jerry, of this notice. Jerry Truster is indebted to the district schools of his home community for his educational training, to which there has been added the experience and knowledge gained through observation during later years. He remained under the parental roof until he was twenty-one years of age, at which time he embarked upon a career of his own, and December 25, 1884, was united in marriage with Clara Hardin, of Milford township, daughter of Giles and Mary (Hadley) Hardin, the former of Milford township and the latter of Hendricks county, Ind. Mr. Hardin, who was a farmer all of his life in Milford township, and a highly respected and public-spirited citizen of his community, as well as a staunch Republican, died in 1894, aged fifty-six years, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church. He and his wife, who
William Truster is one of the native sons of Butler county and throughout his career has been identified with farming enterprises which have not only promoted his individual success but have also advanced the development of his section. Mr. Truster was born near Jacksonboro, in Wayne township, May 30, 1864, a son of Louis and Margaret (McFall) Truster, a review of this family being found in the sketch of Jerry Truster, elsewhere in this work. Mr. Truster went to school in Wayne township, where he acquired a good education, and upon the completion of his studies returned to the home place to assist his father. Subsequently he started farming on his own account, and January 4, 1893, was married to Sophia, daughter of Andrew and Frances Wirtley, who resided on the Eaton road and who are now deceased. There were nine children in the Wirtley family: Henry, Joseph, John, Charles, Frank, William, Anna, deceased, who was the wife of William Cunningham; Kate, the wife of Peter Jasbring, living on the Jacksonboro pike; and Sophia, who is now Mrs. Truster. Following his marriage, Mr. Truster moved to a small farm of forty-five acres, on which he carried on operations until 1894, when he moved to his present place, although he is still the owner of his original property. In addition to the 127 acres included in his Wayne township farm on which he lives, and which he rents, he also operates a rented
Fielding G. Tullis. One of the well-known agriculturists of Butler county, Fielding G. Tullis has for twenty-two years resided on his present property in Lemon township, and at the same time has been a participant in many of the movements which have assisted in bringing prosperity to this locality. He was born September 4, 1856, at 17 Chestnut street, Cincinnati, Ohio, a son of Thomas Barber Tullis, and grandson of David Tullis, a pioneer farmer of Hamilton county, Ohio. Thomas B. Tullis was born in Hamilton county, where he attended the public schools and grew to manhood, and in the same community was married and resided for several years thereafter. Going then to Cincinnati, he engaged for a time in teaming, but subsequently became the proprietor of the Fifth Street market, with which he was connected for some years. With George McGee, another auctioneer, he conducted many sales, some as high as $20,000 to $25,000, and was a man of prominence and well known in his day. He was a staunch Democrat and active in politics, and when he passed away, at Carthage, Ohio, aged seventy-four years, his community lost a good and public-spirited citizen. Mrs. Tullis died at the age of eighty years. They were the parents of eight children, as follows: David and Delia, who are deceased; Fielding G.; Jack, a resident of Hartwell, Ohio; Emma, of Wyoming, Ohio; Washington, deceased; Ad, a blacksmith of Hartwell, Ohio; and Nellie, deceased. Fielding G. Tullis attended the public schools of his native city, and at the age of sixteen years came to Lemon township, Butler county, where he secured employment as a farm hand, with Bruce Harkrader. With his brother he then returned to Cincinnati, where he worked as a carriage blacksmith for William Brickle, subsequently going to Blue Ball, where he farmed for James Wihr, for whom he also trained three racing horses. His next location was in Warren county, where he farmed for James Meyer, and while residing in that vicinity was married to Catherine, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Augsperger) Meyer. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer were born in France and came as single young people to America locating in the vicinity of Trenton, where they met and were married, subsequently going to Warren county. Settling near Blue Ball they were among the early farmers of that vicinity and there accumulated a splendid farm of 400 acres, a good deal of which they themselves cleared. They installed fine equipment and numerous improvements and developed an ideal country home. Of their ten children, only four are living: Mrs. Tullis; Caroline, a resident of Illinois; John, who lives in the state of Washington; and Charles, of Seattle, Wash.
John W. Tullis. The roster of progressive agriculturists of Butler county includes the name of John W. Tullis, whose energetic operations have been carried on near Middletown for several years. He is now the owner of a sixty-nine-acre farm located on the Franklin road, and not only has been successful in tobacco growing, but has also developed an extensive and prosperous dairy business. Mr. Tullis was born at Blue Ball, Warren county, Ohio, in 1882, a son of F. G. and Katy (Myers) Tullis, the former born at Cincinnati, in 1856, and the latter a native of the Busenbark community of Butler county. The father has followed agricultural pursuits all his life and at present is a resident of Butler county, having retired somewhat from active labors. The boyhood and youth of John W. Tullis were passed in much the same manner as those of other farmers' sons in his locality. While he was growing up on the farm, he received his education in the district schools of the vicinity of the homestead and further prepared himself by attending the public schools of Trenton, and when it came to a decision as to his lifework he unhesitatingly chose the vocation of farming. In 1908 he established a home of his own at the time of his marriage to Hannah, daughter of Fred and Mary (Ohm) Helsinger, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Mount Healthy, Ohio, and to this union there have been born two children: Marvin, who died April 13, 1918, at the age of eight years; and Glen. Mr. Tullis has sixty-nine acres of land in a high state
Christian Unzicker, a well-known agriculturist of Butler county and whose specialty is truck gardening at Oxford, is a representative of a well known and highly honored family of this part of the Miami valley region. He was born on a farm in Milford township, Butler county, Ohio, April 2, 1842, a son of Daniel and Magdalena (Kahn) Unzicker. His parents, natives of Bavaria, Germany, emigrated to America in young married life, and after a short residence in Canada removed to Pennsylvania, from where they came to Butler county. Daniel Unzicker was born March 4, 1798, and was married January 28, 1821, to Miss Kahn, who was born December 4, 1801. About 1828 they came to Butler county, and for a time resided at Overpeck, but later moved to Milford township, where the father secured eighty acres of land for $300. This was a tract of school land upon which was a small clearing and an old log cabin and stable. Upon this land he erected a stone house, which is still standing, as well as a good barn, and this he continued to farm during the remainder of his life, accumulating 160 acres of valuable property. He died September 18, 1863, at the age of sixty-five years, while his wife survived him until December 28, 1880, being seventy-nine years of age at the time of her demise. He was a Democrat voter, and while not an office seeker was a good and public-spirited citizen. He was a faithful and active member of the Mennonite church, and became a preacher of that faith, and was highly esteemed and respected in the community in which the greater part of his life was spent. He and his worthy wife were the parents of the following children: Peter, deceased, who was a stone mason and farmer, married Catherine Shirtz; Magdalena, deceased, who was the wife of David Augsperger; Valentine, deceased, who was a farmer, married Magdalena Shirtz; Catherine, deceased, who married Jacob Zimmerman, Daniel, deceased, who was a shoemaker and farmer, married Jacobina Berkey; Joseph, deceased, who was a carpenter and farmer, married Magdalena Smucker; Elizabeth, single, who is a resident of Oxford; Barbara, deceased, who was the wife of Daniel Schoenbeck; John, deceased, who was a farmer, married Mary Slonacker; Maria, who died in infancy; Jacob, a retired citizen of Collinsville, who married Veronica Slonacker; Christian, of this notice; and David, a farmer of Edwards county, Kans., who married Ella Kessler and after her death Christina Donner. Christian Unzicker secured his educational training in the schools of his home county, and was reared to agricultural pursuits on the home farm, where he remained until his marriage, at the age of twenty-six years,
Jacob Unzicker. Butler county has profited by the stable citizenship and faithful industry of the Unzicker family since the latter twenties. Practically all bearing the name have been interested in agriculture, but their services have been extended also to politics, education, religion and society. Jacob Unzicker, one of the old and honored residents of Collinsville, represents the second generation of this family in the community, and is now living in comfortable retirement after many years spent in agricultural operations. Mr. Unzicker was born on a farm in Milford township, Butler county, Ohio, September 7, 1840, a son of Daniel and Magdalena (Kahn) Unzicker, natives of Bavaria, who emigrated first to Canada and later to Pennsylvania. Daniel Unzicker was born March 4, 1798, and January 28, 1821, married Miss Kahn, who was born December 4, 1801, she dying July 28, 1880, while he passed away September 18, 1863. About 1828 they came to Butler county, Ohio, and for a time resided at Overpeck, but subsequently removed to Milford township, where Mr. Unzicker secured 160 acres. For his first eighty acres he paid $300, this being school land upon which there was a small clearing and an old log cabin and stable. He erected a stone house, which is still standing as one of the community's old landmarks, as well as a good barn, and continued to be engaged in farming all his life. He voted the Democratic ticket but was not an office seeker. A member of the Mennonite church, he became a preacher of that faith, and was a man who was highly esteemed and respected throughout the community. He and his
Benjamin Harrison Upton. One of the younger generation of dependable workers at the Middletown plant of the American Rolling mill, Benjamin Harrison Upton belongs also to the category in which is included the self-made men of this plant, for the success that he has gained has been entirely of his own making, he having started out in life with naught to aid him except his own ambition and determination. He was born January 1, 1888, in Kenton county, Ky., a son of John and Alameda (Feder) Upton. The family moved to Middletown in 1896, and here Mrs. Upton died September 20, 1910, while the father still survives. There were ten children in the family, and those still living make their home at Middletown: Addie, the wife of George Nill; Clara; Nathan; Robert; Margaret, the wife of Fred Baker; Walter, who is deceased; Ethel, the wife of Elmer Jewell; Benjamin H.; Mabel and Mildred. Benjamin H. Upton was eight years of age when he accompanied his parents to Middletown, and in the public schools of this community his educational training was procured. Following his completion of studies he began to learn his trade in the plant of the American Rolling mill, with which large concern he has continued to be connected, at this time holding the responsible position of sheet roller. His reliability in the discharge of his duties and his fidelity to the best interests of the plant have gained him the confidence of his superiors, while at the same time he has won the friendship and esteem of his fellow-workers that is only obtained through a display of good comradeship and a strict living up to responsibilities. He is a self-made man in the strictest sense of the word and is eminently deserving of the prosperity that has come to him. One of Mr. Upton's most admirable characteristics is his devotion to his brothers and sisters. Since the death of his mother, he has not only made a home for his two younger sisters, but has put them through school and given them the advantages of a business college education at Dayton. He is a man of intelligence and strong force
V. P. Urbain, M. D. and D.O., osteopathic physician, who has been engaged in a successful practice at Hamilton since 1902, was born in Peoria county, Ill., in 1873, and his early schooling was received at Kirkville, Iowa, whither his parents had removed when he was a small lad. Leaving school, he worked on a farm with his parents and in the meantime attended high school, and in 1898 entered the School of Osteopathy, at Kirksville, Mo., from which he was duly graduated in 1900, with the degree of D. O. Later he went to Chicago, where, in 1903, he received the degree of M. D. from the Hahnemann Medical college, and later, in 1911, graduated from the Eclectic Medical college, of Cincinnati. In the meantime, in 1902, Doctor Urbain had settled at Hamilton, where he had established himself in practice, and where he has since built up a splendid clientele and reached an enviable place in the ranks of his calling. His sister, Dr. Mary Urbain, a graduate of the School of Osteopathy, Kirksville, Mo., class of 1900, is associated with him in practice. Doctor V. P. Urbain is a member of the Ohio State Eclectic and the National Eclectic Medical societies, the American Osteopathic association and the Southwest Ohio Medical association. His fraternal affiliations include membership in the lodges of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Columbus and the Modern Woodmen of America. As a voter, the Doctor supports the Democratic party's candidates and policies, and he and the members of his family belong to the Catholic church. Doctor Urbain was united in matrimony in 1905 with Miss Jessie Handy, and to this union there have been born two sons: Joseph and Paul.
M. D. Urmston. One of the best improved and most attractive farms in Liberty township, Butler county, Ohio, is the property of M. D. Urmston, who not only takes a personal pride in adopting every modern facility which an up to date farm should have, but he does everything in his power to encourage scientific farm methods on the part of his neighbor so that the prestige of the township in the realm of agriculture may be maintained. He is of the most pronounced type of the progressive young farmer and
Samuel E. Vail, who for some years followed various occupations other than agriculture, but who is now the owner and operator of a handsome farm of 112 acres in Union township, is a product of the farm, born in Hamilton county, Ohio, March 30, 1862, a son of Samuel and Keziah Vail, who passed their lives as agricultural people of Hamilton county, and a grandson of Samuel Vail, of New
Fred VanAtta, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Klamroth) VanAtta, was born at Weston, Wood county, Ohio, August 29, 1874. The family moved to Findlay, Ohio, where Fred attended school in District No. 9. After leaving school he commenced railroad work and rapidly advanced to the position of engineer, which vocation he followed for many years. About fourteen years ago, he became associated with the American Rolling Mill company, at Middletown, as a machinist, and ranks high for efficiency and capability. Mr. VanAtta was married December 30, 1897, to Emma Rice, daughter of James and Amelia (Field) Rice, of Williamsburg, Ohio. Mr. VanAtta had a sister and three brothers: the sister died in infancy; George and Harvey live in Findlay, Ohio; Charles, in Erie, Pa. His father, a veteran of the Civil war, died in 1911; his mother, March 20, 1877. Mrs. VanAtta's father lives at Williamsburg; her mother died in March, 1908. Her grandfather was a Civil war veteran. Mrs. VanAtta had two sisters, Mrs. Harry Moyer at Waynesburg, Ohio, and Mrs. Frank Rick at Cincinnati. Mrs. Rick has since passed away. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. VanAtta - James Homer and Samuel Gage. James Homer, born September 13, 1899, graduated from the Middletown High school class of 1917, and immediately thereafter entered the U. S. Navy as a landsman for yeomen and was advanced to yeoman of first class and made three trips to Brest and one to Bordeaux. He is now ship's writer on the U. S. S. Camden, stationed at Philadelphia. He took his first training at Newport, R. I., and completing there an 8-months' course in 6 weeks, was placed in charge of the secret codes. He had over one thousand men and many vessels under his supervision. Samuel Gage was born February 6, 1902; was educated in the public schools of Middletown and was attending the Ohio Mechanical institute at Cincinnati when he enlisted
Robert C. Van Derveer, who since his arrival at Middletown in 1899 has built up a large and flourishing business from small beginnings, is now proprietor of the Union laundry and one of his community's substantial business men. He has likewise been identified more or less prominently with public matters, having served as president of the city council and in other capacities. Mr. Van Derveer was born near Carlisle, Warren county, Ohio, November 10, 1866, a son of Tunis and Lydia Van Derveer. The name of this family figures prominently in the early settlement of Warren county, as well as in its later progress and development, for members of the family were among the pioneers and their descendants have contributed in marked degree to the movements which have brought forth a prosperous and thriving community. The great-grandfather of Robert C. Van Derveer was Tunis Van Derveer, who came from New Jersey to the locality which afterward included the town of Carlisle, in 1804, on a prospecting trip, and, liking the country and seeing its future prosperity, bought a large tract of land. At that time he returned to New Jersey, but in 1813 again came to Warren county, this time to remain and to aid in the work of settlement. With him on his second trip came his son, Benjamin Van Derveer, who likewise aided in the work of paving the way for civilization, and who, like his father, passed the remaining years of his life here in clearing and cultivating a farm. Following in their footsteps was the second Tunis, father of Robert C. Van Derveer, who was born at the little settlement of Carlisle, which later grew into a colony and then a thriving town. His early years were passed amid primitive surroundings and his education limited to attendance at the public schools, but he became a successful man in his later years and was looked upon as one of his community's successful and substantial agriculturists. Robert C. Van Derveer grew to manhood on his father's farm and secured his education in the public schools. While his ancestors for a number of generations had been farmers, he did not take kindly to an agricultural life, his tendencies running more in the direction of trade and commerce. Accordingly, in 1899, he came to Middletown, where he started a small venture which he called the Union laundry. Modest at its inception, this enterprise grew with the city and flourished under Mr. Van Derveer's energetic management, so that today it is recognized as one of the substantial establishments of the city. He now controls a large and representative business of the best class of patronage. Mr. Van Derveer, as before noted, has found time from
Robert Van Ness, who was formerly an implement dealer and also identified with the handling of fruit, and who, since 1916, has not engaged in active labor, was born in Franklin county, Ind., January 17, 1874, a son of Thomas W. and Jane (Riggs) Van Ness, natives of Butler county, Ohio, where the former was born on a Riley township farm. Some time after the birth of their son Robert, the parents removed to Franklin county, Ind., where they rounded out long and honorable careers in the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, and where both passed away. They became the parents of the following children: John, who is a retired citizen of Oxford; Gideon, who still carries on farming on the home place in Franklin county; Mathew P.; Robert; Lucy, who became the wife of Albert Coffey, of Franklin county, where they make their home; and one child who died at the age of six years. The parents of these children were highly esteemed in the several communities in which they made their home, and reared their children to lives of probity and usefulness. Robert Van Ness was reared on the homestead in Franklin county, Ind., in the vicinity of which he secured his education in the country schools, making the most of his opportunities and gleaning all the information obtainable, so that today he is a well-educated and broadly informed man. For a time he applied himself to farming, but finally became interested in the implement business, and was the proprietor of such an establishment in Oxford. For some years he continued to be engaged in this, building up a large and important business, but finally disposed of his interests therein and turned his attention to the fruit business, buying and selling in carload lots. This also proved to be a prosperous business, under his capable and energetic management. In 1916, he retired from active participation in business affairs, and since then has been living quietly in his comfortable home at Oxford, a modern residence which he had erected in 1910. Mr. Van Ness was married June 2, 1901, at Oxford, to Anna, daughter of James and Sarah (Simpson) Salyer, farming people just outside of the corporation limits of Oxford, in Oxford township, where they are well known and highly esteemed. There were eight children in the Salyer family: Emmett; Erry; Denver; Maude; Susan; Anna, now Mrs. Van Ness; Ida, the wife of Harry Hammond, an automobile dealer of Oxford; and Clifford. Mrs. Van Ness is a woman of sterling qualities, whose faithful assistance has greatly
Frank K. Vaughn. Hamilton is pre-eminently an industrial center. Its industries are far-famed for the excellence of their products, and to Hamilton is due, in great measure, the credit of contributing a very generous share to the sum total of Ohio's reputation as one of the foremost states in the Union. The growth of Hamilton has been steady and substantial. Some of its products are known throughout the country as the best in their line. Its business men are progressive and alive to all avenues of progress. To them, in the largest sense, is due the present activities in all lines that mean a better and a greater Hamilton. Among the important factors in the growth of this community are those concerned in the building trades and actual physical development of its expansion. One of those who has been vitally concerned in this avenue of endeavor is Frank K. Vaughn, the well-known builder and contractor. Frank K. Vaughn was born June 4, 1883, at Otsego, Mich., the son of Robert J., and Ada (Martin) Vaughn. His father was a native of Michigan of Welsh descent, his mother being of old American stock. The great grandfather of Frank K. Vaughn emigrated from Wales and became one of the early pioneers of Michigan. To Robert Vaughn and wife were born the following children: Robert J., Floyd, Charles, Deo Martin, the latter living in Michigan and the rest now residing in Oregon. Deo Martin is a veteran of the Spanish-American war. Mrs. Robert Vaughn is still living, as is also her father, who is now eighty-four years of age. Frank K. Vaughn attended a county school in District No. 9 in the township of Otsego and later attended high school of Otsego, graduating from same, subsequently attending college at Kalamazoo. He later attended Ann Arbor university, graduating from the civil engineering department, taking his college degree in this department. During his active life as an engineer he became a member of the National scientific bodies and is well-known throughout the country among the craftsmen of this line. It may be mentioned in passing that Mr. Vaughn took honors at the time of his graduation. His application as a student earned him high honors at college and served him well in the practical affairs of his later life. Mr. Vaughn entered his active career with the McClintock-Marshall company, coming to Hamilton as supervisor for this company in the erection of Niles Tool company. He remained here and on March 1, 1911, he with Webb Cullen, engaged in the contracting business. This partnership lasted until May, 1916. At this time Mr. Vaughn engaged in business as the F. K. Vaughn Building company, doing' a general contracting business. Since engaging in business, he has earned a reputation second to none in this region, as a designer and builder. While in partnership with Mr. Cullen and since the formation of the latter company, there has been constructed the Y. M. C. A. building at Hamilton, also the Y. M. C. A. building at Staunton, Va., the birthplace of President Wilson, and other buildings locally and throughout the country. In May, 1919, the Vaughn company engaged in the construction of the new Ford plant at Hamilton. This
Edward Veidt. When he was fourteen years of age, opportunity knocked at Edward Veidt's door in the guise of a position as stock buyer. His capital was but $15.00 and his knowledge of the business had been largely gained through his association with stockmen frequenting the meat market conducted by his father, but this did not keep him from plunging enthusiastically into the work. So well has he improved his opportunities that today he is one of the prominent stockmen of the Miami valley, and his business has been developed into huge proportions. Mr. Veidt was born at Seven Mile, O., November 7, 1867, a son of John Veidt, of Baden, Germany, who died in 1913 at the age of seventy-five years. John Veidt was born March 25, 1837, and was reared by a stepfather, his own father having died when he was a babe of two months. Until he was fourteen years of age he attended school, and then learned the trade of brick layer, a vocation which he followed until coming to the United States in 1854. His first settlement was at Cincinnati, where he secured employment in a meat market, and five years later came to Butler county, and resided three years in Milford township. He then took up his residence at Seven Mile, where he continued to be engaged in the stock buying and butcher business until his demise. Mr. Veidt was married in 1859 to Miss Barbara Kern, of Germany, and they became the parents of these children: Charles, who is a merchant in Alaska; John who met an accidental death, being frozen in Alaska in 1915; Henry, who is engaged in farming in Kansas; William, a ranchman in California; George, who is a farmer and land dealer in Canada; Harry, a paper maker of Middletown, Ohio; Albert, a farmer in Madison township, Butler county; Thomas, who is deceased; Edward, who is the subject of this review; Mary, who is single and a nurse in New York city; Lulu, who lives in California; Selma, of Chicago, Ill., the wife
Reverend F. B. Veil. Of the religious denominations represented in Hamilton, the Roman Catholic church has perhaps, a greater representation than any other single denomination. Of the priests who have ministered to the faithful in Hamilton, none is better known than the beloved Father Veil of St. Peter's church. Father Veil was born in Germany, in which country he received his preliminary training in ecclesiastical duties. After his arrival in America he continued his studies at St. Francis seminary, Milwaukee, Wis. After completing his studies at this place, he supplemented this with further study at St. Mary's seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio. Subsequently, he took charge of the assistant pastorate of St. Mary's church at Marion, Ohio. He later returned to Cincinnati, becoming assistant pastor of St. Boniface church at that place. Leaving here, he became pastor of the Catholic church at Boston, Clermont county, Ohio. On September 1, 1913, he came to Hamilton, assuming the pastorate of St. Peter's church. During his pastorate of St. Peter's he has displayed a zealous interest in the care of his flock, and has discharged all his duties in a very acceptable manner. He has endeared himself to the many communicants who have come under his ministrations, and has earned a place in the affections of many others of the community, regardless of creed. George M. Verity, president of The American Rolling Mill company of Middletown, Ohio, is man of whom, in writing of the Miami valley, it may be well said "he is a native here and to the
Peter Vinson. During a period of more than half a century, the late Peter Vinson was one of the honored citizens of the Miami Valley where, from humble beginnings, he worked his way to a position of substantiality and independence in his community. A man of varied abilities, his life held out to him opportunities for participation in several kinds of business, and as merchant, farmer and willow grower he met with equal success, while as a citizen he was always respected and esteemed. Mr. Vinson was born in Germany, in 1832, and at the age of twenty-two years emigrated to the United States, arriving alone at Hamilton, Ohio, August 5, 1854. He had no finances to speak of and his knowledge of the language
Jacob Vizedom, of German parentage, was born in Hanover township, Butler county, February 6, 1853, a son of Jacob and Catherine Vizedom. His father came to America when a young man and located in Hamilton, working there as a laborer for several years. After his marriage he entered upon the occupation of farming; first as a renter, but later as a landowner, buying a farm of 160 acres in Hanover township, where he resided until the time of his death. Five children, four of whom survive him: George, William, Barbara and Jacob, the subject of this sketch, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Vizedom. Jacob received his education in Hanover township and after completing his schooling he took up farming with his father, following whose death he remained on the homestead with his mother till 1886. In that year, he married and moved to Liberty township, locating on the farm of 240 acres, which he at present rents. Mr. Vizedom also owns 171 acres in this township and is one of the most substantial and prosperous farmers to be met with anywhere in the county. By unflagging zeal and well-directed effort he has brought his farms to an exceptionally high degree of efficiency, and is valued in the community as an upright and straightforward representative of the best type of American citizenship. In 1886, he was united in marriage to Susan Ann, a daughter of George Harold, and their
Leonard Vogel. Undoubtedly, no other county in Ohio can boast of more successful and energetic farmers than Butler and the distinction achieved in this regard years ago is being admirably maintained. Among those worthy of special mention is Leonard Vogel, who is not only one of the most popular of the many agriculturists of this section, but he is also one of the most progressive and the good fortune that he has had with his land might well be emulated by those who would develop their efforts to the highest point of efficiency. Born in Fairfield township, Butler county, he has always been one of the most consistent advocates of the employment of modern methods in farming and is always prepared to lend his counsel in bettering the lot of other agriculturists who would develop their holdings to the greatest productivity. He is typical of those Ohio agriculturists who manifest a sincere interest in having their native state rank among the first in the matter of its crop resources and it is gratifying to note that each succeeding year since he has operated his fertile acres he has had the satisfaction of witnessing a marked increase in returns. One of eight children of Conrad and Mary Vogel was born in Fairfield township, February 12, 1864. Two of the children died, the others now living besides Leonard being John, Christopher, Conrad, Anna and Mary. His parents were both natives of Germany and came to this country when single and located in Butler county, Ohio. The father obtained employment as a farm hand and after practicing the greatest frugality rented a farm in Butler county, which he operated successfully a number of years. He later moved to South Hamilton, Ohio, where he was engaged in the liquor business for about twenty years. The parents of Mrs. Leonard Vogel were George Lintner and Anna Marie Rahmes, both natives of Germany. When a young man the father came to the United States and located in Cincinnati. He had heard much of the desirability of ownership of farm lands in Butler county and accordingly purchased a one hundred-acre tract in Fairfield township, which he operated successfully until his death, January 22, 1912. His wife died July 6, 1902. These children were born to this couple: Miss Abbie, who married George Schoenberger; Pauline, wife of Joseph Smith; Barbara, who makes her home with Leonard Vogel and wife; Margaret, wife of George Vogel; Mary, wife of Leonard Vogel; and Catharine, wife of John Smith. Leonard Vogel thus began life with the knowledge that he was of honorable ancestry, of that type of manhood and womanhood so characteristic of the early settlers of Ohio who had a genuine interest in the future
Fred Waggoner, who is a well-known farmer and stock raiser of Union township, Butler county, has won universal esteem and marked success through the possession of energy, honesty and progressiveness. He is a native of Warren county, Ohio, born November 7, 1877, a son of Jesse and Hannah (Parker) Waggoner, also natives of that county. The father, educated in the public schools, was reared as a farmer on the farm of his father, Ventle Waggoner, who had emigrated to Warren county from that part of Virginia now included in West Virginia at an early day in the history of the Buckeye state. The family has been noted for its honorable connection with business, agricultural and social life, and Jesse Waggoner proved no exception to the family rule, being in every way a stable and reliable citizen. He farmed as a renter throughout his life in Warren county, where he died, leaving four children: Fred, Lennie, Charles and George. Fred Waggoner was educated in the public schools of Warren county, Ohio, and Hancock county, Iowa, in which latter state his father had resided for several years during the son's boyhood. The latter remained under the parental roof until 1901, in which year he came to Union township, Butler county, and here has since been engaged in agricultural operations. At this time he rents 300 acres of fertile land, on which he carries on general farming and also raises stock, and his operations have been uniformly satisfying and successful. He raises about seventy-five head of hogs annually, for which he finds a good market, and has about fifty acres of his property in corn. A believer in modern methods, he has directed his activities intelligently, with the result that he has placed himself among the substantial agriculturists of his neighborhood. Mr. Waggoner is a Republican, and his only fraternal connection is with the lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Mason, Ohio. In 1900, he was united in marriage with Elsie, daughter of Robert H. and Rachael (Wyle) McClung, and they have had five children: Ethel, Robert, Willard, Elma and Millard, the last two of whom are deceased.
Albert P. Wagner. Found prominently among the old and honored business houses of Hamilton which can boast of clean and commendable records of more than twenty years, is that of Albert P. Wagner, than which funeral directing business none can be said to have in greater degree the confidence of the general public. Albert P. Wagner was born at Hamilton, Ohio, October 22, 1865, a son of John and Sophia (Straub) Wagner, and a grandson of George Adam and Margaret Wagner, who came to the United States when past
John L. Wagner. A lifelong resident of Butler county, John L. Wagner has contributed to the progress of his home community through the development of the old homestead farm in Madison township, as well as by active participation in township affairs. He was born on the farm which he now owns and occupies, on section 34, Brown's Run, and is a son of Lewis and Harriet (Gephart) Wagner. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Wagner was Peter Gephart, of Pennsylvania, who migrated early to Butler county and settled on Brown's Run, Madison township, where he cleared a farm and made a home. He was one of the prominent characters of his day, and lived to the advanced age of eighty-two years, his wife, who had been a Miss Gephart, also living to an old age. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Wagner was Christopher Wagner, a native of Germany, who passed his life in that country. Lewis Wagner, father of John L., was also born in Germany, but left that country in young manhood, emigrating to the United States. While he was a man of marked inherent talents and a linguist who could speak seven languages, he was only a poor youth when he arrived in this country, and was forced to take what honorable employment presented itself. Locating at Hamilton, he began work in a foundry, where his industry and fidelity earned his promotion and advancement in wages, the latter of which, being thrifty, he saved and wisely invested. When the opportunity came, during the Civil war, he bought a hotel at Middletown, which he conducted for several years, and then bought a farm of 160 acres, located in Madison township, Butler county. At that time there was only a little clearing made, on which stood a small house and several little outbuildings, but within a few years after his settlement this property was well cleared and cultivated and boasted of a good set of buildings. Mr. Wagner became well and favorably known as a man of ability, integrity and public spirit, assisted in civic affairs, and served for a number of years as school director and in other minor offices. He was a Democrat in his political affiliation and a member of the Baptist church, in the faith of which he died in 1903, aged eighty-three years, while his wife passed away in the Methodist faith, in 1901, when sixty-eight years of age. They were the parents of six children, four of whom are living: John L.; Ed, for thirty-four years an engineer on the Clover Leaf railroad, out of Toledo; Mary, the wife of Samuel Hurst; Lizzie, the wife of John Kemp; Peter, who died in 1900, at the age of forty years; and William, who passed away when thirty-five years of age. John L. Wagner was brought up to habits of industry and thoroughness and was given a public school education in Madison township. He remained on the homestead, and in 1893 was united in marriage with Eva M. Joy, of Frederick county, Md., a daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Routson) Joy, natives of Maryland, who came to Ohio in 1880 and located at Franklin. Mr. Joy worked on the railroad and also farmed in Warren county, and for the past twenty years has followed the trade of carpenter at Miamisburg, where Mrs. Joy died in 1893. They were the parents of six children: Mrs. Wagner; Oscar and Spender, residents of Miamisburg; Harry, who
Herman H. Wagonfield. While the influence a man exerts in developing his community may not depend upon the length of time that he has spent therein as much as upon the quality of his service, naturally those who have spent longer years in a certain community have been able to contribute in greater degree than the more recent arrivals. Herman H. Wagonfield has indelibly inscribed his name among those who have been identified with the progress of Hanover township in an agricultural way during its greatest period of development, and at this time is the owner of a valuable and well-developed property of 135 acres. Mr. Wagonfield was born at Monroe, Butler county, Ohio, August 21, 1871, a son of Gottlieb and Mary (Silvers) Wagon field, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Butler county. The father was a young man when he emigrated to the United States, and took up his residence in Butler county, where he met and married Mrs. Mary (Silvers) Moore, widow of Thomas Moore, who had two children, Leander and Anderson, by her first marriage, both of these children now being deceased. After their marriage they located on a farm in Milford township, where they passed the remaining years of their lives, the father dying about 1906 and the mother passing away in 1897. They were the parents of three children: Charles F., who resides near Darrtown; William, who lives with his brother Herman; and Herman H. Herman H. Wagonfield was educated in the public schools of Darrtown, after leaving which he began to work for his father. He so continued until his marriage to Sarah Jane, daughter of George Bauman, whose other children were: Ella; Kate; Cora, deceased; Frank; George; and Clement, deceased. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Wagonfield moved to a farm in Hanover township, a property which Mr. Wagon field rented for some years. In 1914, he changed his location to his present farm, which he purchased, a tract of 135 acres of fertile and productive land, where he has since been successfully engaged in general farming operations. His land is made more attractive and valuable by the modern improvements thereon, which include a handsome residence, commodious barns and substantial outbuildings, and the equipment is up-to-date throughout, including a complete Delco lighting system. Mr. Wagonfield is a practical farmer, who uses modern methods with intelligence and discretion,
Miss Anna Walter. Since the beginning of its connection with Butler county, the Walter family has been one which has added strength and solidity to the industries and institutions of this part of the Miami valley, its members having been people of industry, integrity and probity whose activities have been for the greater part confined to the arts of agriculture. A worthy representative of this old and honored name is found in Miss Anna Walter, who owns and conducts a valuable warm, the old home place in the vicinity of Jacksonboro, where she has passed her entire life. She was born on this farm, a daughter of John J. and Eleanor (Van Kirk) Walter, natives of Monmouth county, N. J., who came to Ohio at an early day, as young married people and took up their residence on what later came to be known as the Walter homestead. People of the highest ideals and of Christian character, they secured and held the unqualified respect and confidence of the people of the community, and when they passed away left many to mourn their loss. They were the parents of five children: Sarah, who became the wife of Henry Weaser and is now deceased; Garrett, who died when twenty-one months old; Miss Anna, of this notice; Nora, who became the wife of William Yager and is now deceased; and Schenck, deceased. Miss Anna Walter was given a public school education and in girlhood and young womanhood was carefully trained by her watchful and devoted mother in all the arts of domestic science. She proved a most dutiful and affectionate daughter to her parents, with whom she always remained, caring for their every want and nursing them devotedly during the period of their last illness. When her parents died her brother, Schenck Walter, took over the management of the home place, and when he, in turn, died, Miss Walter assumed control and has since conducted the property in a highly successful and profitable manner. As an assistant she has a capable and highly skilled farmer, John Allen Meredith, a member of a fine old family of the Miami valley, the Merediths having been pioneers of this region. Five uncles of Mr. Meredith fought as soldiers during the Civil war for the Union, and those bearing the name have always been upright and reliable citizens. Mr. Meredith is a self-educated man and one of intelligence, who has always taken an interest in the important and worthwhile questions of the day. He is a Republican in politics, and on a number of occasions has been chosen as judge of election. The Walter farm consists of 129 acres and is a well-cultivated and highly improved farm, where Miss Walter specializes in the raising of fine Jersey cattle. These animals
Peter K. Walter. One of the old and honored farmers of the Miami valley, Peter K. Walter, at the age of seventy years, is still actively engaged in carrying on operations on his fine property located in section 7, Madison township. Mr. Walter was born in a home on Main street, Middletown, Ohio, November 28, 1849, a son of William R. and Julia Ann (Van Kirk) Walter, natives of New Jersey. The parents were a young married couple when they first came to Butler county, and here settled at what was known as Jacktown, in Madison township, where the father established a small blacksmith shop. His skill and honesty soon won him public confidence and patronage and his business grew rapidly to large proportions, so that he established another shop at Middletown, and in all ran five fires, which was considered a large number for the time and locality. He shod all the horses for miles around, in addition to doing repair work on wagons and general blacksmith jobs, and formed a wide acquaintance. However, it had been his ambition to be a farmer, and in his later years he moved to Illinois, where he spent his last days in tilling the soil. His first wife died on the Illinois farm, leaving three children: Peter K.; Nathan S., who died in young manhood; and Weller, a woodworker who went to Decatur, Ill. Mr. Walter's second marriage was to Hannah Simms, who also died in Illinois, and they had three children: Benjamin, deceased; and William and Charley, who live in Decatur, Ill. Peter K. Walter received his education in the home schools of Butler county and grew up in this locality, where he assisted his father in the blacksmith shop and also worked on farms. When his parents went to Illinois he accompanied them, but in 1881 returned to Butler county, where he again became connected with agriculture. He was married March 12, 1884, to Miss Jennie Stover, of Middletown, a daughter of William and Nancy Ann (Orr) Stover, natives of this state who lived for the most part at Middletown, where Mr. Stover was variously employed. His death occurred there October 25, 1895, while Mrs. Stover still survives. There were two children in the Stover family: Mrs. Walter; and Laura, who married Jacob Shartle, of Middletown. Mr. and Mrs. Walter are the parents of five children: William S., a farmer of Montgomery county, who married Nellie Cooper; Charles E., operating his father's farm, married Clara Brelsfoard, and has one daughter, Muryl; Emma A., who married Lurton Roberts, a farmer, and has one daughter, Mabel; Clara V., who married Charles Brooks and has three daughters: Ruth, Jane and Julia Ann; and Ralph B., a farmer at home, who married Lucile Banker and has one son, Richard Eugene. After his marriage Mr. Walter located on the farm which he now
Charles H. Walther is numbered among the substantial representative farmers of Fairfield township, Butler county, where he is the owner of the old Groh farm of eighty acres, this being one of the well improved and specially attractive farm properties of the county. Mr. Walther knows at first hand the requirements for successful farm enterprise in Butler county, for he is a native of the county and here gained his initial experience in agricultural industry, on the old home farm of his father. He was born in Morgan township, February 7, 1884, and is a son of John B. and Emily (Hauser) Walther, concerning whom adequate mention is made on other pages, in the sketch of John B. Walther, jr. He whose name introduces this paragraph acquired his early education in the public schools at Shandon, and thereafter he found employment at farm work. On the 7th of October, 1911, was solemnized his marriage to Elizabeth Raithel, the elder of the two children of Christian and Anna (Hoffman) Raithel, of Ross township, where the father has long been a prosperous farmer. The younger of the Raithel children is John, who still remains at the parental home, where he is his father's associate in the work and management of the farm. Soon after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Walther established their home on their present farm, and here he has since conducted successful operations in well diversified agriculture and the raising of excellent types of live stock. Mr. and Mrs. Walther have three children: Stanley, Carl and Delmar, and also have a host of loyal friends in their native county. He is a Republican in politics and he and his wife are active members of the United Brethren church. During the World war they gave loyal support to the government's civil agencies for preparation for and upholding war activities, as well as the work of the Red Cross and other organizations whose services were of inestimable value during the critical war period. Fraternally Mr. Walther affiliates with the Hamilton lodge of Odd Fellows.
John B. Walther, jr. Fifty-one years of age and a native son of Ross township, Butler county, where he was born October 12, 1868, is an earnest and high-minded agriculturist and a sincere appreciator of the dignity and worth of his calling. John B. Walther the elder, the father of Mr. Walther, was born in Germany and as a young
Rev. Geo. C. Warvel, deceased, of Ross township, Butler county, Ohio, should be an inspiration to the young man reared on a farm who has not the prospects of a university education, but who is overflowing with ambition to enter one of the professions. The Rev. Warvel was at once a preacher and an agriculturist and it is interesting to note that he was a success in both callings and those familiar with the later history of Ross township can testify to the zeal and sterling traits of character of this man. He owes much to the fact that his progenitors were of the sturdy type that combines spiritual devotion with conscientious mundane labor. Born near Lebanon, Ohio, he was one of seven children of John Christopher and Lillie Warvel, the father having been a native of Rockingham county, Va., and his wife was born in Germany. The couple were married in Virginia and came by wagon to Warren county, Ohio, settling on the place where George C. was born. They later moved to Darke county, Ohio, where Mr. Warvel purchased a farm and operated it successfully until his death. Their children, besides George C., were: