Submitted by Tootsie October, 2002
ENON-- The Knob Prairie Congregational Christian Church , now 100 years old, is the oldest church built by the Christian denomination in Ohio.
An anniversary will be held at the church Sunday, April 8, with an all-day program starting with Sunday School services at 9:45 a.m. The Rev. Ernest F. BRICKHOUSE will have charge of the morning worship service at 10:45 a.m. which will be followed by a basket dinner at the noon hour. A full program of activities is planned for the afternoon, the Rev. Mr. BRICKHOUSE said, with Dr. Everest A. BABCOCK, superintendent of the Ohio Conference of the Congregational Christian Churches, as guest speaker and Mrs. Ramona SANDO of Columbus as soloist.
The first church was organized in the spring of 1806 in a log cabin which was the home of Jonathan D. BAKER on Broadway rd., about one mile and a half east of Enon. Some members of the congregation and church officials decided to erect a new house of worship and selected a site one and a half miles northeast of Enon on a "knob" overlooking the Mad River prairie, from which the name "Knob Prairie Christian Church"--was taken. This log structure served until 1835, when it was replaced by a more modern building.
Sixteen years later, the present brick church of Romanesque architecture was constructed in the village of Enon on a tract of land donated to the church by David CROSS, a member of the congregation. This structure was completed in 1851, a century ago. Tracing the church history Saturday, the Rev. Mr. BRICKHOUSE issued an invitation to all area residents to attend the special anniversary rites.