Search billions of records on

Clark County, OH

Posted Obituaries for January 1902 thru October 1903

Obituary Surnames: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

AIKEN, CLAYTON, DAVIS, ELLIOTT, HURT, PATTON Name of Newspaper is Sidney, OH, Democrat on Wednesday, January 8, 1902

John C. ELLIOTT, a pioneer resident of Shelby County died at his home in Montra shortly after noon today. He died from the effects of a stroke of paralysis which he had Friday December 27. Mr. ELLIOTT is one of the oldest residents of Shelby County. He was over 90 years of age and had resided in Shelby County since 1835. Mr. ELLIOTT was born in Clark County, Ohio Oct 6, 1811. He lived there until he was 34 years of age when he came to Shelby County. The year before coming to this county he was married to Sarah CLAYTON, and they had 10 children. Mrs. ELLIOTT died in June 1860, and in June 1862, he was married to Martha PATTON who survives him. To the second marriage three children were born. He has 6 sons and 3 daughters still living. They are Thomas ELLIOTT of Waynesfield, C.O. ELLIOTT, Louis ELLIOTT, Charles ELLIOTT, and John ELLIOTT. Mrs. N.B. AIKEN of Jackson Twp.., Mrs. Frank DAVIS of Salem Twp.., Mrs. Thomas HURT of Nebraska, and G.W. ELLIOTT of this city. When Mr. ELLIOTT came to this county in 1835, he entered 80 acres of land in Jackson Twp.. between Jackson Center and Montra. When he located on the farm, there were only two houses within 5 miles of it, and he spent 6 weeks in camp while building his cabin in the forest. He still owns the farm besides considerable other land, in addition, to farms given to each of his sons. In 1869, he moved to Montra and engaged in the dry goods business. He continued in this business until 1889, when he retired. He served Shelby County for twelve years as Commissioner - two terms in 1845 and two terms in 1865. He was a Justice of the Peace in the township for eighteen years and was the first assessor ever elected to that township. The arrangements for the funeral have not yet been made.

MUKES Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

The funeral of Dennis MUKES will be held at the late residence 202 West Jefferson street, this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial at London, Monday.

OVERHOLSER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

Samuel OVERHOLSER, residing near Lawrenceville, died yesterday morning at 11 o'clock. Funeral Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at Lawrenceville. Burial at Lawrenceville Cemetery.

MANN Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

Frank MANN, residing at 1 Woodbine avenue, died yesterday morning, of tuberculosis, at the age of 25 years. Funeral Tuesday at 9 AM at St. Raphael's church. Burial at Lagonda Avenue cemetery.

PIERSON Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

The funeral of William PIERSON, in charge of the Union Veteran's union, will be held this afternoon at 1 o'clock at W.A. Gross undertaking establishment, and the burial will be on the soldiers mound in Ferncliff.

METZ Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

George B. METZ, aged 51 years, died yesterday morning at 9:50 o'clock, at his home, 69 North Factory street, of heart trouble. the funeral will be held at the late residence. Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial at Ferncliff.

HARRIS, SPEAKS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, February 2, 1902

Mrs. Lucy HARRIS, a sister of Mrs. Forrest SPEAKS of this city died from the effects of an operation performed in Columbus Friday night. She was 36 years of age. The body will arrive here Monday at 1:30 and funeral services will be held at North Street A.M.E. church at 2 P.M after which the body will be laid to rest in Ferncliff.

BAKER, KELLEY, MORRIS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 15, 1902

Mrs. Elizabeth KELLEY, daughter of Mrs. Eva BAKER, whose funeral occurred but a few weeks ago, died at her home in the Grafton settlement, aged 68 years, 3 months. The funeral services were held at the Grafton church and interment occurred at the Hill cemetery. The Rev. DOLBY, her pastor had charge of the services A strange incident is that her mother, aged 92, as well as daughter, died of pneumonia. Another sister whose age is past 50 years is lying at death's door with the same disease. This family is very prominent in that part of Champaign County and hosts of friends and relatives mourn their loss. D. B. MORRIS of Tremont, a relative, attended the funeral.

BOYD, FARRAR, TUCKER Name of Newspaper is Daily News, Springfield, OH on Tuesday, February 18, 1902

After a brief illness, Thomas BOYD passed away at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon at his late residence, 227 South Fountain Avenue. The deceased was 61 years of age and is survived by a widow and two children, Ralph A BOYD, secretary of the city water works board, and Mrs Percy TUCKER who resides at Salem, O, and who owing to illness is unable to attend the funeral. A brother and a sister, Frank H BOYD of New York, and Mrs J.C. FARRAR of Kansas City were at his bedside at the time of death. Mr Boyd's death was due to a complication of diseases, although for several years he has been suffering with kidney trouble. Last Wednesday he was taken suddenly ill and for several hours his life was despaired of, but he finally rallied, although his case at that time was pronounced fatal by the attending physicians. The following day he seemed considerably improved, but since then he gradually became weaker until yesterday when death came. Mr Boyd was well known in this city and county, at one time having held the position of assistant chief of police. He was a native of Clark County, being born in Harmony Township in the year 1840, and removed to this city in 1874. He was married to Miss Mary Henrietta ANDERSON in 1874, and two children were born to them. Mr Boyd was a veteran of the civil war, having enlisted in the service in 1861, with the Fourteenth Ohio volunteers, and later with the Eighth Ohio Cavalry. He was a member of High Street M.E. Church where he was a regular attendant up to the time of his death. The funeral will occur Wednesday at 10 am from the residence.

MORRIS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, April 5, 1902

A son of Squire MORRIS of Springfield, who was a victim of typhoid fever, and died Friday morning at his home in that city, will be brought to Tremont for burial Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the reformed church.

PENCE Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, August 9, 1902

Word has been received that Elijah PENCE and old and much respected citizen, died Friday night at his late home on the LOCARD farm, north of Tremont City. Mr. Pence leaves a wife who has the sympathy of her many friends here. Mr. Pence was a prominent member of the M E Church at Tremont, and the pastor, Rev MADDOX, will have charge of the services, which will be held at the residence, Monday forenoon. His age was near 80 years, and he has been in poor health for some time.

FAY Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, September 6, 1902

William FAY who died Thursday night at his late residence on the Urbana Pike at what is known as the "half-way house", was taken via Detroit Southern Saturday morning to north of Lima, Ohio at which place his funeral and interment will take place today. He died of consumption.

LEBER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, September 13, 1902

Peter LEBER, and old veteran of the war of the rebellion, and who for several years was a sufferer of complications of diseases, died at his late residence Monday evening and was buried Wednesday at 2:p.m. Mr. LEBER was an honored citizen and the town as well as the family will miss him. He leaves a wife and four children (all girls), two of whom are married.

ANDERSON, MARTIN Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, October 12, 1902

Mrs. Maud ANDERSON, who died Sunday morning at her late residence on Pretty Prairie, was buried Tuesday afternoon at Oakdale Cemetery, funeral from the residence. Mrs. ANDERSON was but 27 years of age and leaves a widower and two small children. The deceased was a niece of Mr. and Mrs. David MARTIN of Tremont City, who attended the funeral.

MAGGART, SEITZ Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 18, 1902

The citizens of Tremont were sorrow stricken, Saturday morning when word was received of the horrible accident which happened to Charles MAGGART and his three boys in the great conflagration of the TUCKER wood rim factory at Urbana. Charles MAGGART, father of the unfortunate boys, with his little family lived in Tremont prior to moving to Westville, Ohio from which place they moved to Urbana. Samuel MAGGART is the father of Charles, and Henry SEITZ is his father-in-law. Both families hastened to Urbana on receiving the news. As the touching story went the rounds among the citizens, tongue nor pen could not describe the awful shock to the many acquaintances of the family. The poor little 7 year old boy, whose body was consumed by the flames, probably not enough of the remains can be found for burial, was a remarkably bright child. Whoever met little Charley was his friend and he was possessed of a very pleasing disposition and loved by all. At the very latest report it is learned that the mother is in very dangerous condition from grief, and no one knows what the result may be,.

MAGGART Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 25, 1902

The remains of little Karl MAGGART, who was consumed in flames at the wood rim factory fire last Saturday morning at Urbana, were interred in Mt Calvary Cemetery Wednesday afternoon. The condition of Leroy, the boy who was so badly burned, is very distressing, but friends have hopes of his recovery. The grief stricken mother is recovering from the shock, although for a while her condition was alarming. Charles MAGGART, the father, who was so badly hurt, was able to attend the burial of little Karl. The friends of the family at Tremont and elsewhere are glad that citizens of Urbana are subscribing to the MAGGART relief fund. This is a worthy cause as the family is in need of kind gifts of friends.

COOK Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, November 1, 1902

The Passing of a Tremont Man. Calvin COOK, aged 83 years, died at his home in Terre Haute, last Sunday. He has lived in Champaign County for many years and was well and favorably known in Tremont having many distant relatives living in this burg. His funeral was held at M E Church, Terre Haute, Tuesday afternoon and was largely attended. Rev C T WILLIAMS, a Baptist minister, had charge of the services. Interment occurred at the Terre Haute Cemetery. "Uncle Calvin" as he was generally called leaves an aged widow, and five sons and one daughter, all of whom are married and have families. With a host of acquaintances both in Clark and Champaign counties, all of whom cherish his good name.

HEATON, RIGGS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Tuesday, November 4, 1902

John H. HEATON, aged 63, years, died at 9:30 o'clock last evening of paralysis at the home of his brother-in-law, Howard A. RIGGS, 40 Sherman Avenue. The body will be taken to his former home, Havre de Grace, Maryland, for burial.

SPANG Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Tuesday, November 4, 1902

Adolph SPANG, aged 18 years, died at the city hospital yesterday from injuries received by being hit b a chain on a road scraper while at work on Belmont Avenue Thursday. Deceased was a son of Jacob SPANG, of 713 East Main Street. Funeral Wednesday at 8 a.m. at St. Bernard's church; burial at St. Bernard Cemetery.

DALLAS, ROBINSON Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, December 13, 1902

Old Resident Laid To Rest The funeral of the late Mrs. James DALLAS, who was a former resident of near Bowlusville, Oh, and was very well known in Tremont was held from the family residence in Urbana Thursday afternoon. Many testified as to the esteem in which she had been held in life. She was a long a patient sufferer from a complication of diseases and finally succumbed to them on Monday night. Following the services at the house the body was taken to Oak Dale Cemetery and laid to rest The pallbearers were the four brothers of the deceased woman and two other relatives. She was a daughter of Captain ROBINSON of east of Bowlusville, she being 42 years old. She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.

BROUGHER, FEBER, SWARTZBAUGH Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, December 20, 1902

What is a very rare thing for Tremont was the occurring of two funerals in one day, last Wednesday, and in fact, you might say three funerals within the neighborhood. Isaac BROUGHER, and old and much respected citizen, whose funeral occurred in the morning at 11 o'clock. The second, that of Mrs. Josiah FEBER, a former resident of Tremont City, but late of Terre Haute, was buried on the same day; funeral services held at 2 p.m. and at 3:30 the funeral of Mrs. Amanda SWARTZBAUGH, who lived southwest of Tremont occurring at Lawrenceville. All three of these services were attended by the Rev J W YEISLEY. All of these persons were held in the highest esteem by our entire neighborhood, and there was a host of friends in attendance at each service.

LEWIS, SMITH Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, January 24, 1903

We regret to announce the death of Mrs. Dr SMITH nee Minnie LEWIS who formerly lived here in Tremont City, who died at her home in Urbana suddenly last. Saturday and was buried at Oakdale Cemetery last. Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. SMITH was highly respected young woman and her many friends were shocked to learn of her death.

BAKER, BLOSE, BROUGHER, WEAVER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, January 24, 1903

The last. will and testament of the late Isaac BROUGHER was filed and admitted to probate Wednesday afternoon in the Urbana court. The widow was qualified as executirx. Charles Elmer BROUGHER and Mrs. Mary Emma BAKER are heirs to the estate. Johnson P WEAVER and Esquire John H BLOSE were witnesses to the will which was made 15 years ago or thereabouts.

KIPLINGER, WIRICK Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 7, 1903

The death of Mrs. Eva A WIRICK, nee KIPLINGER, was received with great surprise by her acquaintances in Tremont. The funeral services were held yesterday from the family residence. Interment at Ferncliff Cemetery. Mrs WIRICK was well known here.

BALDWIN, BLOUNT, MCGREW, MOORES, WERDEN, WRIGHT Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 7, 1903

RACHAEL BALDWIN DIES. Well Known Springfield Woman Passes Away After an Illness of Eighteen Months. Mrs. Rachel BALDWIN died at 11 o'clock Friday morning at the residence of Samuel F. MCGREW, 303 North Limestone Street. She had been a great sufferer for 18 months, so much so that death was to her a welcome visitor. She was the widow of John W. BLADWIN and the daughter of Colonel William WERDEN, one of the early settlers of this vicinity, who conducted the first tavern in Clark county, the building being located n Main street, which at that time was known as the National road. Mrs. BALDWIN was a sister of Admiral Reed WERDEN, a well known naval figure in the civil war. She was the mother of six daughters, all of whom are living. They are Mrs. Samuel F. MCGREW, Mrs. John a BLOUNT, Mrs. Herbert H. MOORES of this city, and Mrs. Thomas F. MCGREW and Mrs. Douglas HOLLISTER of New York city, and Mrs. M. B. WRIGHT of Mt. Vernon, N.Y.

STONER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 21, 1903

A telegram has been received by the relatives of Mrs. David STONER announcing her death at her home in Oklahoma Territory, Feb 17. The funeral and interment were held in Cartridge, Oklahoma. Mrs. David STONER for many years was a resident of Tremont City and had many friends and relatives here who regret to learn of her death. The deceased woman has several daughters living in Springfield, Ohio. It is expected that her husband will come east.

MULHOLLAND Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 21, 1903

Several of our citizens attended the funeral of Mr. MULHOLLAND yesterday, of Springfield. There was a gloom spread over our town when the news came that Mr. MULHOLLAND was a victim of the collalagration in Springfield. Mr. MULHOLLAND had many old customers in Tremont that regarded him as a man whose integrity was beyond reproach.

GARD Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 28, 1903

Charles GARD attended the funeral of his brother E. V. GARD at Indianapolis, IND, Saturday, Feb 21.

BAKER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, February 28, 1903

The funeral services of Mrs. Asa BAKER who has been sick for some time, will be held at Terre Haute today.

BAKER, FERREE, FISH, GRINDLE Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, March 21, 1903

Mr. Peter FERREE, one of the oldest. representatives of agricultural interests in Ohio, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. P P GRINDLE, 67 East.Ward Street. Mr. FERREE was 85 years of age and his almost. entire active life had been devoted to farming. He was born in York Co, PA, March 9, 1818, where he lived until 19 years of age, when he removed to Starke County, this state. Two years later he came to this county, which has continuously since been his home. He was united in marriage in 1840 to Miss Elizabeth BAKER, who preceded him 14 years in death. He is survived by three children, A W FERREE, Mrs. E M FISH and Mrs. P P GRINDLE, all of this city. He also leaves one brother.............of Dayton. Mr FERREE was a former resident of Tremont City, keeping in this place a tavern. Many of the old pioneer travelers enjoyed the hospitality of Mr FERREE and his wife during the early days of our burg. The funeral occurred yesterday at 3:30 p.m. from the First.Lutheran Church, Springfield. Several Tremont people attended.

FLICKLINGER, JUDY, METCALF, NEFF, SAYER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, March 21, 1903

Mrs. Sallie METCALF of Springfield attended the funeral of Mrs. Sallie NEFF Thursday. She was the guest .of her son R C METCALF and family. The funeral of Mrs. Sallie NEFF occurred from the Reform Church Thursday. Mrs NEFF was a pioneer citizen of the town, having lived here about all of her life. He age was paSt.81 years. Two sisters survive her; Mrs. Mary JUDY, and Mrs. Solomon SAYER. She was a stepmother of Adam NEFF of Columbus, Ohio, formerly of this town, and mother of John FLICKLINGER. Funeral services were conducted by Rev YEISLEY and MADDOX. A large attendance of people were present at the funeral.

FLICKLINGER, NEFF Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, March 21, 1903

Clifford FLICKLINGER , of Lexington, KY, was summoned to the funeral of his grandmother, Mrs. Charles NEFF. Mr. FLICKLINGER will return to his Kentucky home Monday morning.

DEAR Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, March 28, 1903

The funeral of Mrs. Samuel DEAR occurred from her late residence last Wednesday morning. The Rev WARREN had charge of the services. Interment at the DEAR Cemetery, which is located near Bowlusville.

LEBER, SEITZ, WEAVER, ZIRKLE Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, April 11, 1903

Johnson P WEAVER and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Amos SEITZ, Mrs. Catherine LEBER and Mr. and Mrs. Jacob SEITZ attended the funeral of their aunt, Mrs. ZIRKLE in Springfield.

PHILLIPS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, April 18, 1903

Last. Thursday at the M E Church was held the funeral services of Miss Ethel PHILLIPS, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer PHILLIPS, former residents of Tremont City, but late of Tiffin. Miss Ethel was a great sufferer from dropsical affection of the heart for about five months and her death was no surprise to relatives and friends here. The deceased was 15 years old, she being the last. of a family of three bright children , two of whom preceded her to the grave some time ago. Miss Ethel was a pure Christian, lovable in her disposition and lived a purely devoted Christian life. She was a long and very great sufferer, but all through her sickness she did not falter in her devotions, but was perfectly resigned to her Master's will. The funeral escort arrived via the Big Four at 10:30 and was immediately taken to the church where a large concourse of people were in waiting. Rev A D MADDOX had charge of the services and a more beautiful funeral never was held in the church. The casket was one of the lateSt.designs upon which were wreaths of flowers of the choiceSt.selections sent by her many friends in Tiffin. The bereaved father and mother have the sympathy of this entire neighborhood as well as the present home of the family in Tiffin. The interment was made at Mt Calvary cemetery.

COLE, NICHOLS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, May 2, 1903

Mrs. E. C. NICHOLS received a telegram Friday evening from Narrowsburg, NY, stating that her brother, Howard W. COLE died that morning from a complication of diseases. The funeral services and interment will occur Sunday morning. Mrs. NICHOLS will not be present owing to the distance and other matters pertaining to home duties.

CALLISON Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, May 3, 1903

William CALLISON, age 47 years, died yesterday morning at 3:30 o'clock at his home in North Hampton. The funeral will be held on Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock from the Donnelsville church. Burial at Donnelsville cemetery. The funeral cortege will leave the late residence at 11 A.M.

DOUGLAS Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Sunday, May 3, 1903

George B. DOUGLAS, age 65 years, died yesterday afternoon at 2:15 o'clock at his home, 147 East Euclid avenue. The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2:30 O'clock from the home of his son, Egbert DOUGLAS of 456 South Fountain Avenue. The body will be shipped to Ogden, Utah for burial.

BAKER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, July 11, 1903

David I. BAKER, aged 53 years, and past, whose death was such a shock to acquaintances here in Tremont last. Tuesday evening, was a model citizen in all particulars. The funeral was held Thursday from the Lawrenceville church by the Rev J. W. YEISLEY, pastor of the Tremont City Reformed Church. These sad services were attended by a large number of Tremont people and it was said that not for years has there been a large funeral at Lawrenceville as this one. The deceased leaves a widow and eight children and the community in which he lived and died will miss the good natured man. To the troubled family allow us to extend words of condolence in this sad hour. His many friends will cherish the name of him who was so suddenly called to his eternal home.

HULLINGER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, August 15, 1903

Last. Wednesday afternoon at 4 o'clock, the remains of Lemuel HULLINGER were laid to the Terre Haute Cemetery. The funeral services were impressive. The G.A.R. of which he was a member, had charge of the remains. Mr. HULLINGER was a long and very patient sufferer from diseases contracted while in the war of the rebellion. Mr. HULLINGER Just.received notice and had drawn the first money on increase of pension at the rate of $75 per month, the limit for total disability.

OVERHOLSER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, August 15, 1903

Mrs. Jacob OVERHOLSER who died Thursday morning after a protracted illness of many months, will be buried at Lawrenceville reformed Cemetery this morning at 10 o'clock. Funeral services at the church. Mrs. OVERHOLSER was about 53 years old and leaves a husband and several children. She was a long and very great sufferer, having been at the Dayton Hospital for several weeks. Her body is greatly reduced in flesh, weighing little more than a child. Rev J W YEISLEY will officiate.

BARTON, BROKAW, CORNELIA, FIELD, NELSON, NOURS, TAYLOR, WALTON Name of Newspaper is Unk. Springfield, OH Newspaper on Tuesday, September 1, 1903

Mrs. Sarah Cornelia, relict of the late Thomas BARTON, died Friday evening at 8:30 o'clock at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Jenny FIELD, 420 Lawrence street, aged 86 years and 14 days. She leaves four sons, William, of Dayton, Ohio, John of Tacoma, Wash., Charles J., of this city and George W., of Silverton, Col.; and six daughters, Mrs. E. L. WALTON, of Kalamazoo, Mich., Mrs. George W. NELSON of Cincinnati, Mrs. William BROKAW of St. Louis, Mrs. NOURS, Mrs. FIELD and Mrs. TAYLOR, of this city. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Jennie FIELD, 425 Lawrence street, Rev. E. A. King, officiating. Interment at Oakland cemetery will be private.

CURTIS, TOLAND Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Monday, September 14, 1903

Front Page. "This is the last time I will be with you." These pathetic words were spoken by Jacob CURTIS and John TOLAND, two of the oldest residents of this county, at an old settler's meeting at Emory Chapel yesterday afternoon. Within an hour after they had spoken, both men were mangled corpses. While driving over the Pennsylvania crossing at the Yellow Springs pike on their way home, a freight train struck their buggy, and they were literally ground to pieces. Clasped in each other's arms, they were found, the grewsome (sic) appearance of their blood-spattered remains brings out sharply the evidence of brotherly affection and the pathetic prophecy they had given utterance to.

Apparently, the whistle of the approaching train and the warning shouts of the trainmen were not heard by either. It was not until the engine was almost on them, that they appeared to realize their danger. Then the trainmen saw TOLAND rise in his seat and lash the horse. The animal bounded sharply forward, and the train whizzed onto the crossing. For an instant the buggy was hidden (sic) from the sight of those in the engine cab. The animal was seen to start wildly down the road with the broken buggy shafts striking against his side. The vehicle was a mass of debris on the track and beneath the pile, the two men were lying. The engineer had endeavored to shut off steam when he saw the buggy driven onto the crossing; but the entire train of cars passed over the bodies of the two pioneers before the engine was brought to a stop, and the trainmen ran back. The sight which met their gaze was a shocking one.

CURTIS and TOLAND had evidently been instantly killed, death apparently coming to both within the same second. Their bodies were crushed almost beyond recognition. TOLAND's skull was gashed so fearfully that his features could scarcely be distinguished. The arms of the two were interlocked, as though, seeing that their fate was inevitable, with a last impulse, they had sought to give each other a last embrace. Apparently while in this position the engine struck the buggy. They were evidently hurled from the seat, the horse just clearing the rails as the crash came. The buggy was demolished. The men had been thrown beneath the debris, and this was forced down onto the bodies as the long line of car rumbled over the crossing. The splintered wood was literally soaked with blood, and covered with pieces of flesh. The accident is described as one of the most shocking in the history of local railroads.

Acting Coroner Clifford HARRAMAN was immediately telephoned for and drove out from this city at once. They were placed on a freight car and brought to the Pennsylvania depot, where they were transferred to the patrol wagon, and taken to the undertaking establishment of Schindler & Snypp. Harraman made a brief investigation into the cause of the accident and interviewed the trainmen. The inquest will be held today.

The story of the trainmen is to the effect that they did not see the buggy until it was nearly onto the crossing. Then the whistle was blown several times and everything possible was done to attract the attention of the two men. Engineer BRENAHAN says that as soon as the men did not stop, he realized that they were probably deaf and would not be able to get across the tracks before the train struck the buggy. "I at once sought the shut off steam in time to bring the train to a standstill, or at least break the force of the collision," he continued. "But I was not given time to do anything. Even up to the last second I was in hope the men would be able to jump in time to save themselves. Had they been younger, I believe they could have leaped in season to escape. The fact that the horse was over the rails before the buggy was struck is proof that the occupants of the vehicle could have reached the ground in safety had they been younger and more active men. Doubtless the terror into which they were thrown by the shock of the discovery that the train was on them scattered their self-possession. The accident is not the fault of anyone. The engine whistled before the train reached the crossing. We did everything in our power to attract the attention of the men. Had they possessed their natural hearing the accident could not have happened.

Conductor T. C. REYNOLDS, in charge of the train, said in discussing the accident: "I was attracted by the furious whistling just before we reached the crossing. I at once knew that something was wrong. I didn't see the buggy, however, until it was almost on the track, and then I covered my eyes with my hands. I knew that escape for the occupants of the vehicle was out of the question, unless they were unusually active and possessed rare presence of mind. Everything was done to check the train before it reached the crossing. The fact however that the buggy had ample time to stop when the whistle sounded naturally gave the impression that its occupants would heed the warning and so no effort was made to stop the train until too late.

The train was extra freight No. 8909 in charge of Engineer Michael BRNEHAN and Conductor T. C. REYNODLS, J. F. MITCHELL was fireman. The train had been brought here from Xenia early in the afternoon and the engine had not been turned around. With the locomotive tender in front and the freight-cab in the rear, the crew were making the return trip. The order to the train crew read that the track was clear and the train was moving at a rate of probably 20 miles an hour. The Yellow Springs pike crossing was reached at about 4:45. It did not take long the clear the debris from the track, but it was some time before the coroner arrived. It took several hours for matters to be adjusted.

The Old Settlers' meeting at Emory Chapel was held in the early part of the afternoon. For some years it has been the habit for the older residents of the country to get together each year at the chapel, and the meeting yesterday was largely in the nature of an annual reunion. Remarks were made by a number, and the afternoon was taken up largely with stories of the early life in the county. Both CURTIS and TOLAND have been in the habit of attending meetings of this kind over the county, and are among the best known of the early pioneers of this section. When they spoke yesterday afternoon, it was noticed that there was a strange hesitancy on the part of both to make extended remarks. Several times in the course of the meeting they had been heard to remark to their neighbors that it was sad how the old settlers are thining out, and how few in comparision with former years turn out to the meetings of the old residents of the county. "It is not given to men to live long after the allotted time of three score years and ten," said Mr. CURTIS. "I have passed that point and so has Brother TOLAND. We should be ready to lay down our burdens. We have seen the ranks of the pioneers thin each year. It makes my heart ache to see how few of the old residents of this vicinity are with us today. It is not their fault. It is not due to forgetfulness of the old neighbors and comrades. They have been called to their eternal homes. The rest of us are soon to follow. I will not see another reunion." Mr. TOLAND talked in the same strain and the fact that the two men have always been the closest companions and have usually been the heartiest jokers at meeting of this character naturally attracted much attention to their depressed spirits. When they got into their buggy to go home, they seemed lothe about driving off, and it was with continued waves of their hands to those standing about that they finally rounded a bend in the road …and….disappeared from sight.

Jacob CURTIS was a carpenter by trade, although he had not worked actively at his trade from some years. He lived at 135 East Grand avenue. He leaves a wife and six children to mourn his untimely death. His children are William B., John C., George and Charles CURTIS and Emeland Rose CURTIS. Mr. TOLAND leaves a wife who is absent on a visit to California, and two sons, Charles and A. L. TOLAND. Both men have been prominently known for many years in this county, and have perhaps as wide an acquaintance as any of the older resident of this vicinity.

BAKER Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 3, 1903

Several from the neighborhood attended the funeral of Samuel BAKER, which occurred in the Reformed Church Wednesday at 10 o'clock. Rev's Paul SHULTZ and BECHTEL assisted in the services. The home was filled to its utmost capacity with sorrowing neighbors and friends. Mr. BAKER was regarded as a most excellent man being throughout his life a devoted Christian and died with the full hope of receiving the award of his righteousness. He was a good citizen and a pillar of the Reformed Church at Dialton, to which church he gave largely of his means during its construction. By living an honest and economical life, he succeeded in gathering a large amount of this world's goods. He leaves a widow and four children.

RICHARDS, ROCKEL Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 10, 1903

The funeral of the late John Henry RICHARDS was held from the Reformed Church in Tremont City last Sunday afternoon, and was largely attended. The deceased was 62 years of age, was a model Christian man and died in full hope that a good man has of the great beyond. Mr. RICHARDS for many years prior to his death made his home with Henry ROCKEL of near Eagle City, and was a very great cripple, having many years ago received injuries that caused him much trouble.

EARNST, GARD, HECTOR, OTT, WALLACE Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 10, 1903

After more than three years of suffering and struggle with complication of diseases, chief among which was consumption, Mrs. Mary E. WALLACE, wife of the late "Squire" WALLACE died at her home in Urbana last. Friday night October 2. With her when death came were her daughter, Mrs. Ida GARD HECTOR of Melbourne, Fla., and her grandson Charles WALLACE. Mrs. WALLACE was born June 15, 1827 and was 76 years of age. She was married to "Squire" WALLACE on July 4, 56 years ago, and to them were born seven children, four of whom are still living; Mrs. J. T. EARNST.and Edward WALLACE of Palm Beach, FL; Mrs. Joseph OTT of Cincinnati and Mrs. Ida (nee GARD) HECTOR of Melbourne, FL. Many years ago Mr. and Mrs. WALLACE. were residents of Tremont City and what few of her old acquaintances are yet alive will regret to learn of Mrs. WALLACE's death. She was a good Christian woman and beloved by all who were acquainted with her.

LINEBAUGH Name of Newspaper is Daily Morning Sun, Springfield, OH on Saturday, October 17, 1903

Last. Monday at 2 p.m. at the Reformed Church the funeral services of Timothy LINEBAUGH were held by the Rev Alfred TAYLOR. Mr. LINEBAUGH was a veteran of the war of the rebellion being a member of Co D, 154th and 180th regiments. He was 75 years of age and a member of Powell poSt.G. A. R. Tremont City, which order attended the funeral and had charge of the ritualistic work. Mr. LINEBAUGH but a few weeks ago moved to Urbana, from his former home near Bowlusville, and had been in declining health for a long time. He was well known in this locality. A widow and several children survive him.

Return to Clark Co. OH page

View ...

For questions about this page contact Sara J. Greer at or Janie M Whitty, our obituary coordinator at

Query, Surname, and Researcher pages managed by CCHelper, an application written by Patty Lindsay.