Henry L. FEIRSTINE, farmer; P.O. Enon. Mr. Feirstine is the son of George and Sarah Feirstine, of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in 1863, purchasing a farm of 143 acres in Clark Co., on which the subject of this sketch now resides. He was born Oct. 30, 1849, and received his education in the common schools. He married Miss Mary Rockfield, of Greene Co., Ohio. They are the parents of two children - Cora and Maude. Cora was born March 28,1878; and Maude born July 2, 1879.
Walter HAGER, manufacturer of paper; P. O. Enon; is a son of Isaac and Eunice Hager, both natives of Massachusetts, and was born March 4, 1823, at Newton Lower Falls, Mass., where he was raised and educated. He started in life at the age of 15 years by engaging in the paper mills of his native town, which were among the oldest in the United States; there remained fifteen years, and in the mean-time, Feb. 25, 1847, married Martha Fuller, of Weston, Mass. About 1853, he engaged in the mills of Jordan & Co., where his ability and knowledge of the business merited the position as manager, to which he was promoted. Two years later he removed to Frankfort, Ky., where he was also employed as foreman of the Frankfort paper mills. At the expiration of two years he removed to Lockland, Ohio, and became agent for the Hazeltine Turbine water-wheel, and was the, first to introduce it into Southern Ohio, Central Kentucky, and Southern Indiana. After being thus engaged for some time he resumed the paper trade as manager of the tower Mills of Lockland, where he remained six years; thence located in Dayton, Ohio, where he took charge of the mills of G. Rutledge, and successfully conducted the same a period of two years. He then located in Clifton, Greene Co., Ohio; engaged in business with Mr. King, the style firm being King & Hager. Six months later he sold his interest, removed to Enon, where he is now in charge of the Republic Mills, and doing a reasonable business. Mr. and Mrs. Hager have had burn to them six children - Ellen, Ge-trude, Sarah, Ma7, Edwin, and Albert, of whom two daughters are deceased.
J. W. HANES, grain merchant; P.O. Enon. Enon, like all villages, has its repre-sentative businessmen, and we can say that J. W. Hanes is one of the live and energetic men of this village. He is the son of Jacob and Margaret Hanes, and was born June 25, 1840, in Richland Co., Ohio; received his early education in the common schools, afterward two years in attendance at the Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, Ohio. In 1864, commenced work on his father's farm, and thus continued until 27 years of age, when he commenced life for himself, by commencing in the grain trade in Enon. Here he has, through proper conduct and good business habits, established a favorable and profitable grain market. In July, 1874, married Emma Spangler, an accomplished young lady. The issue of this union is two children, one son and one daughter.
N. HARDMAN, merchant; P.O. Enon; is the son of Peter and Margaret Hardman. Peter was born in Virginia and Margaret in Scotland. Peter Hardman married early in life Miss Margaret Hacker, who ten years previous, when she was 11 years of age, being at the house of her sister, on Hacker's Creek, near Clarksburg, Va., was toma-hawked and scalped by the Indians. It seems that a marauding party of Indians was passing through the neighborhood, and attacked the family with whom she was staying, all the members of which were slain. Young Miss Hacker managed to conceal herself behind a door while the work of death was going on, but was finally discovered by one of the savages, who aimed a blow at her with his tomahawk, which took effect upon the side of her head; she fell and laid as if killed. Thinking their work of death complete, they scalped all the members of the family, and dragged the little girl after them from the house by the hair for some fifty yards, where they scalped her and threw her over a fence; observing that she gave signs of life, one of the savages stabbed her with his knife, which fortunately struck a rib, doing but little harm. She was afterward found and cared for, and recovered, although she suffered greatly, and finally died in her 39th year, from the effect of the tomahawk wound on her head. The subject of this memoir was born in Greene Co., Ohio, Jan. 3, 1813; never received but about three months of schooling. At the age of 18 years, started in life for himself by driving stage from Springfield to Cincinnati, then from Springfield to Columbus, and other lines. Those were days before the use of the powerful and useful railroad engine was seen swiftly passing through our land, and travelers then spent weeks and months to complete a journey that is now made in a few short hours. In 1836, married, abandoned stage driving, and engaged in blacksmithing, which he followed a period of five years in West Union, thence located in Enon, Clark County, where he continued his trade until April, 1870, at which time he was taken severely ill, and remained an invalid for eighteen months; reduced his weight from 176 1/2 pounds to 41 pounds, hence was a mere skeleton of the human being. At the time of his marriage, could neither read, write, or calculate the smallest sum in arithmetic; but since his wife began to instruct him, and through his own energy and industry, and her sincere and earnest efforts, he has learned all this, and now is a fair business man. He has always been an earnest worker in the Re-publican party from it's organization. He is now, and has been for five years, Mayor of his village, and had the honor of being Chief Marshal of the Centennial celebration of the "Battleground of Old Piqua," on Aug. 9, 1880.
Joseph HEBBLE, physician; P.O. Enon. Of the medical profession of Mad River Township, we record the following of Dr. Hebble, who was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., where he acquired his early education in the common schools. In 1841, engaged in teaching, and soon became prominently known as a teacher; there he continued in this pursuit until 1846, when he came to Ohio, locating in Greene County, where he pursued the study of medicine until 1851, thence entered the Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio. After attending one course of lectures, abandoned the Medical studies, and engaged in teaching until the fall of 1853, when he resumed the study of medicine in the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, graduating in the spring of 1855. Soon after located in Miami Co., Ohio, where he successfully practiced four years, thence in Johnsville, Montgomery Co., Ohio, where he practiced until July, 1863, when he was commissioned Surgeon of the 55th, O. V. I. After a service of one year returned to Ohio, and located in Enon, where he has since resided, and has a suc-cessful practice. He married Miss Mary E. Casad, by whom he has had nine children all but one are now living.
J. N. HINKLE, Jr., teacher; P.O. Enon. Teaching, as well as all other profes-sions, requires due preparation to secure perfect success, which evidently J. N. Hinkle did; he is a son of J. N. Hinkle, Sr., and was born in Union Co., Ohio, June 4,1854. Spent his early life in the common schools, where he judiciously applied himself until 1870, when he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, in which in-stitution he devoted his time two years; then engaged in teaching one year, entered school at Lebanon, Warren Co., Ohio. One year later resumed the profession of teaching, in which he has since been engaged. He is a live and industrious teacher, and commands the best of wages, which his ability merits. His nuptials were celebrated Nov. 1, 1874, with Miss Samantha Kirkland, of Delaware Co., Ohio. This union has been blessed with two children, viz.: John C. and Charles D., both living at the writing of this article.
David HUPMAN, farmer; P.O. Enon. Mr. Hupman is the son of John and Elizabeth Hupman, both natives of Virginia; they emigrated to Ohio Sept. 28,1835, locating in Clark County. His mother died Jan. 1,1856, and his father in December, 1872. Our subject was born in Virginia Jan. 17, 1817, and was educated in the common schools of Clark County. Mr. Hupman assisted his father to clear up his farm, which was among the earliest in this vicinity, and has followed the occupation of farming all his life. He married Miss Maria E. Miller, of Clark Co., Ohio, Nov. 1, 1840. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Harriet F., born April 5, 1841; Charlotte, born April 8, 1843, died in infancy; Mary E., born Nov. 10,1844, died May 30,1870; Jacob, born July 18,1847; Ellen Ann, born Feb.26, 1850; Caroline, born Oct.13, 1853; Martin, born May 6, 1856. Mr. Hupman owns a farm of 80 acres, under good cultivation, but is at present living with his youngest son, Martin.
W. B. JENKINS, farmer; P.O. Enon. Mr. Jenkins is the son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Moore) Jenkins. His maternal grandfather, Daniel Moore, and wife, Rachael Parks, settled in Sec. 24, Mad River Township, at an early day, and resided there until their death. They were buried on their own farm. His father, Daniel Jenkins, was born in New Jersey, April 30, 1782, and his mother in Pennsylvania, the same year. They came to Ohio in 1812, Daniel being in the war of that date. His wife died Nov. 8, 1827, and he was again married to Mrs. Elizabeth Ford, a native of Virginia. By his first wife he had the following children: Marilla (deceased), Ephraim S. Elmore, William Belford, David G. (deceased), and Amon (deceased). He died Jan.13, 1868. Our subject was born in Clark Co., Ohio, Aug. 16,1818, and received only such edu-cation as the common schools of that day afforded. He worked at farming until 21 years of age, when he learned the carpenter and millwright's trade, which business he followed until 1851. He married Miss Rachael Sayre, of Clark County, Jan. 2,1851; she was born March 24, 1830, in the house where they now live. She is the daughter of Loyd and Nancy A. (Albin) Sayre. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and she of Vir-ginia. Her grandparents, Joseph and Elizabeth Sayre, were natives of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio, and settled in Sec. 24, Mad River Township, at an early day, and here died. Her father died January, 1853, and her mother, April, 1857. They had four children - Rachael, Elizabeth, Statia (deceased) and Catharine. By his marriage with - Miss Sayre, our subject had three children, viz.: Charlotte J., born Sept.17, 1852, and educated at the Female Institute, at Springfield; Anne F., born June 22, 1856, died 3larch 3, 1860; and George W., born Feb. 22,1861. Mr. Jenkins has worked his way through life unaided, and now owns a farm of 149 acres, under a high state of cul-tivation. He is politically a democrat, and has been elected Trustee of the township for eleven years. Both he and his wife arc members of the Presbyterian Church, and as a upright, honest citizen, he is the peer of any man in Clark County.
Francis JOHNSTON, farmer; P. O. Enon. Francis Johnston is the son of Arthur and Frances Johnson, natives of Ireland, who emigrated to America in 1791, locating in Pennsylvania, where they lived till 1795, when they removed to Kentucky, in 1829, they came to Ohio, locating in Greene County. The subject of this sketch was born in Shelby Co., Ky., Oct. 7, 1814; his education was obtained in the common schools of Kentucky in log schoolhouses, and the teacher being paid by subscriptions raised in the neighborhood. He came alone on horseback to Ohio, bringing seven horses, at a cost of $3.87 1/2. He lived at home with his mother until her death, which occurred in 1849, since which time his sisters have kept house for him. Mr. Johnston, in 1859, bought the farm of 189 acres on which he now resides, and known as the old "Galloway farm," which was the first settled in the township, and the remains of the first cabin are still to be seen near his present dwelling. It is supposed to be the first house built in Mad River Township. Mr. Johnston has a number of Indian relics, which he has found and preserved, and shows with considerable pride. He has held the office of Township Trustee for several years, being elected by the Republican party, and fill-ing the office with credit to himself and his constituents.
A. P. KIDWELL, agent and operator C., C., C. & I. R. R., Enon. Mr. Kidwell is the son of Amos and Rachel Kidwell, who were natives of Virginia and emigrated to Ohio (Nov.15) in the year 1839, locating in Franklin County. Our sub-ject was born in Franklin Co., Ohio, Jan 12, 1845, and received a common-school edu-cation in his native county. At the age of 19 he went to Louis Center and learned telegraphing, in which business he has since been engaged. He was sent to Enon to take charge of the first office on the short line, and has remained there ever since; he married Miss Augusta Sherman, of Delaware Co., Ohio, and they have two children - Vernon, born Jan.21, 187.9; and Henry Stanley, born April 16, 1880.
Jonah KNIGHT, minister; P. O. Enon. The father of Rev. Knight was born in Connecticut, and in early life emigrated to Vermont, where he spent his life, which ended in 1830; his wife being a native of the last-named State, in which she lived, and died in 1848. The subject of this sketch was born in Vermont' June 8, 1803, remaining at home until the age of 20, and acquired his education in the com-mon schools. When starting in life, he possessed good physical powers, engaged as farm laborer, and made his way by his own exertions. He followed this pursuit for six or eight years, and in the meantime applied himself, at every opportunity to divine thoughts, and commenced preaching in behalf of the Christian Church, to which he had belonged for eleven years. To this profession he has ever since applied himself, and deeply interested in the welfare of the church. In 1832, he married Miss Caroline Fay of New Hampshire, to whom eight children were born; one died in infancy, seven grew to maturity, of whom only one survives, and now resides in Nebraska. Caroline died April 11, 1847, and was interred at Mechanicsburg, Ohio. Rev. Knight remained a widower over five years, then married Mrs. D. Robinson of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was an active worker in the Church in his native State about eleven years; thence located in the city of Lynn, Mass. Two years later he emigrated to Ohio and located at Woodstock; there spent over five years in the cause of Christianity, where good was accomplished; he then located in Warren Co., Ohio, and two years later, removed to his farm of 102 acres, near Louisburg, Ohio, remaining all the time in the ministry; he then became prominently identified in the erection of the Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, of which institution he was Secretary of Board of Trustees for over six years; acted as agent to secure funds for the college, and defended it in a suit brought in by the builder, A. M. Merryfield, in the year 1865, he being the only trustee of the college at the time. He employed an able attorney, who, after a suit of seven years, came out victorious. He is an active agent in the Christian Biblical Institute, established at New York, for young men preparatory for the ministry. He is now located at Enon, Ohio and has spent a useful life, which has now been over three-fourths of a century.
GEORGE LAYTON, clerk, Enon. William, his father, was born in the " Northwest Territory," now Ohio, Jan. 8, 1800. Elizabeth, his wife, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1806. George, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Ohio, born in Clark Co., Jan. 1, 1848; he received his primary education in the common schools; and in 1860 he entered Wittenburg College, from which he was graduated in 1867 with the highest orders; he entered the law school of Ann Arbor in 1869, graduating from the same in 1871. Mr. Layton is a young man of rare abilities, possessing every element of a thorough going business man, and at present is filling the position of Chief Clerk in one of the leading warehouses of the place.
B. D. LONG, teacher; P.O. Springfield. Mr. Long was born in Pennsylvania March 2, 1851. His parents were B. H. and Elizabeth Long, both natives of Penn-sylvania. They came to Ohio in April, 1860; and located in Clark County in 1861. Our subject received his education in the common schools, with the exception of three months spent at Wittenburg College in 1866, after which he engaged in teaching com-mon schools, and with such success as to command the highest wages paid in Mad River Township. Mr. Long was elected Assessor of Mad River Township for three years, also an active member of the School Board for the same period, and greatly interested in educational affairs generally. He married Miss Susan Rathbon, of Clark County, March 17, 1870. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: John, Aaron, Lizzie, Mandie, Alfred, Benjamin and George. George died April 19.1878.
R. L. MILLER, dealer in agricultural implements, Enon ; his parents, Abraham B., and Barbara Miller, were both born in Lancaster Co., Penn., and emigrated to Ohio in 1840, locating in Clark Co. R. L., the subject of this sketch, is a native of Ohio, born in Clark Co., May 12,1853. He was brought up to farm labor, and received his education in the district schools; when 16 years of age he commenced to learn the carpentering trade, which he followed for about six years, with good success. He married Miss Irena Shellabarger when he was 22 years old. Two children have been born to them, viz.: Bertie May, born April 14, 1876; Dasia, Iowa, deceased. Mr. Miller is now engaged in selling agricultural implements and machinery of all kinds.
W. R. RUE, farmer; P. O. Enon. Mr. Rue is the son of John and Sarah Rue. His father was a native of Maryland, and his mother of Pennsylvania; they removed to Cincinnati in 1798, removing to Greene Co. in 1807. The subject of this sketch was born Feb. 8, 1815, in Mad River Township, and was of great assistance to his father in clearing up his farm which was among the first improvements in this vicinity. Mr. Rue remembers distinctly when the Indians were roving around in. bands numbering from five to five hundred. He has many relics of the Indians, including a fine pipe and two of the largest earrings ever found, one of which he found on his farm and the other near the county house. These relies were exhibited at the Clark-Shawnee Cen-tennial, and was a great attraction. Mr. Rue married, in 1840, to Miss Lois Forsythe of Virginia. He purchased the old homestead in 1865, living on it several years, and then selling it and buying the farm on which he now resides, containing 81 1/4 acres. Mr. Rue attended general muster for about fifteen years, and from the age of 21 to 55 never failed to work the roads. He saw the Mormons when on their way from Cort-land, N. Y., to Nauvoo, Ill., several of whom worked a few days for his father. The family consists of four children - three sons and a daughter.
Reuben SHELLABARGER, farmer; P.O. Enon. Among the old and prominent families of Clark Co, the one to which this gentleman belongs is well wor-thy of proper recognition in this work. Reuben Shellabarger was born in Mad River Township Nov. 8,1815, and is a son or Ephraim and Rebecca (Winget) Shellabarger, he a native of Northumberland Co., Penn., and she of Cincinnati, Ohio; her parents, Reuben and Elizabeth Winget, natives of Virginia, coming to this Township in 1805. Ephraim Shellabargar came to this town in 1811, was preceded by his brother Jacob and accompanied by his brothers Samn A, John and Martin. He was married in 1814 to Rebecca Winget, to whom were born six children - Reuben, Margaret, Martin, Elizabeth, David and Ann, all of whom are now living. He and wife were members of the Presbyterian Church, and died in this township. The subject of this sketch grew to maturity in his native township, receiving such an education as those early days afforded, and was here married Nov. 17, 1836, to Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Melyn and Mary (Layton) Baker, pioneers of Mad River Township. Mrs. Shell-abarger was born in the above township Aug. 6, 1818, and had born to her Eph-raim, Mary Ann (deceased), Melyn, Minerva, Derastus (deceased). Sarah Jane, Agnus, Rebecca, Maria B., Penie B. and Susan B. (deceased). Mrs. Shellabarger was a sincere adherent of the Christian Church, and died Aug. 5,1873. Mr. Shellabarger was again married June 24, 1876, to Jane Rynearson, daughter of Barnett and Mar-tha (Winget) Rynearson, he a native of Pennsylvania, and she of Mad River Township, where both are now residing. Mrs. Shellabarger was born in this township Jan. 20,1831, and is a member of the Christian Church, to which denomination her husband has be-longed for forty years. Mr. Shellabarger has been a hardworking, honest farmer all his life and has accumulated a property of 317 acres of fine land which he has well im-proved. Politically he has always been a stanch Democrat, and in 1854 was elected Township Trustee and re-elected several times, serving continuously until 1877, when he retired, but in 1879 the people again chose him as Trustee, and he is now filling that office. In 1870, and 1880, he was Township Land Appraiser, and has been a member of the Board of Education since its establishment in the township. He is a man who, by integrity and straightforward dealing through life, has merited the confidence and esteem of all good citizens, and is now enjoying the fruits of an industrious, upright life.
A. H. SMITH, stock-dealer; P.O. Enon; a son of A. H. and S. B. Smith, of Cincinnati, Ohio. They moved to Clark Co., Ohio, in 1866; bought 1,470 acres of land, all in one body, adjoining the village of Enon. Our subject was born in Cincin-nati, Oct. 1, 1850; there obtained his early education, and enjoyed city life until 16 years of age. After his parents moved to Clark Co. he attended select school at Springfield, Ohio, starting in life at the age of 16 years. After which he married Miss S. J. Shellabarger, of Clark Co., Oct.17, 1871, and to this union sir children have been born - Amelia, Sallie, Maria, Mary, Justin and Arelia. Mr. Smith now oversees his father's farm, and devotes his time principally to stock, and at present is one of the Trustees of his Township, to which he was elected by the Democratic party.
Charles STINE, hotel, Enon. Charles Stine, the subject of this sketch, was born in Union Co., Penn., May 6,1838. His parents were John and Sarah Stine, both natives of Pennsylvania. They emigrated to Ohio in the fall of 1838, stopping about one year in Medway, Clark Co., when they removed to Fairfield, Greene Co, where they have since resided. His wife died Nov. 18,1880. The family consisted of fourteen children - eight sons and six daughters, all of whom are living, our subject being the tenth of the family. Charles started for himself Nov.15, 1858, by going to California, by water, from New York, by the way of the Isthmus of Panama, landing at San Francisco December 16, having had a favorable passage, and only one incident of note during the trip. The steamer Moses Taylor, of which he was a passenger, caught fire on the Atlantic Ocean, when five days out of New York. and gave the pass-engers quite a fright. but no serious damage was done. He went from San Francisco to Yreka, where he learned the blacksmith's trade, remaining there till the fall of 1861, when he made a trip to Oregon, Washington Territory and Idaho, returning to Yreka the following spring, where he remained until the fall of 1864, when he returned to Ohio, after an absence of six years. He lived on the farm with his father for ten years, making a business of breeding fine hogs, in which he was quite successful. In June 11,1874, he married Hannah Palmer, of Fairfield. He went into the employ of the Springfield Turnpike Co. as keeper of the toll-gate on the Springfield Pike, near Day-ton, where he continued for nearly seven years, when he removed to Enon, purchasing the hotel, at that place, where he intends making his future home. His family of two sons, John, the eldest, was born Dec.16, 1875: and Frank, who was born Nov. 2, 1877.
N. SUMMERBELL, D. D., minister, Enon, long known as the Pastor of Bible Chapel, in Cincinnati, Ohio, and at present the oldest pastor in Cincinnati, was born in New York March 8, 1816, and is the son of Rev. J. Summerbell, a minister in behalf of the M. E. Church. Our subject early began to develop great reverence for the Scriptures, and a corresponding minister of Isaac N. Walter, a Christian minis-ter, was ordained at Little Compton, Rhode Island, in 1839, by Baptist and Christian ministers. His early ministry was in New York City, New Jersey and New England. From the beginning, he became an unwearied Bible student, attending school during the day, and studying the Word of God at night; so well was this known that his brother, a house-carpenter, requested to be awakened when he retired for his two or three hours' rest. The first winter after his conversion, he studied the Bible carefully, word after word, and adopted its leading principles and doctrine, which have since governed his life. In 1849, he removed from "Milford, New Jersey, to Cincinnati, Ohio. After building the Bible Chapel, on Longworth Street, in 1855, he then removed, as a missionary, to Des Moines, Iowa, in 1859, where, after being the leading instrument in erecting a church, he was called to the Presidency of the Union Christian College, in Indi-ana, where he faithfully labored six years. By this time the college became well established, and finding that his established cause had declined in Cincinnati, he returned to his old field of labor. He married, in 1843, Miss Euphemia J. Sulton, of Hope, Warren Co., N. J., an accomplished lady and a great worker in the cause of Christ. They are the parents of Rev. S. J. Summerbell, a graduate of Union Christian College, and at pres-ent Pastor of the Christian Church at Milford, N. S. His daughter, who was an ac-complished lady and teacher of vocal and instrumental music in the above-named college, was called hence in 1877
George S. WRIGHT; P.O. Enon. Mr. Wright was born March 1, 1845; is the son of Levi and Mary J. Wright; whose parents emigrated from Frederick Co., Va., settling in Clark Co., Ohio, at Green Plains (a Quaker settlement), in 1818. He remembers of having heard his grandfather (Richard Wright, who died in 1864) say that when he settled at Green Plains, that he was compelled to wagon his grain to Cin-cinnati for market often trading a bushel of wheat for a pound of coffee. Our subject was reared on a farm, and his father having died in 1848, he was compelled, in early life, to attend the arduous duties of providing for sister, brother and widowed mother, who still reside on the same farm near Green Plains, with the exception of the sister, Mrs. Howe, who resides in Brattleboro, Vt. On account of these early cares, he received but a common school education. When the cry of war rang through the land for volunteers, and President Lincoln made his first call for 300,000 to protect the nation's flag, Mr. Wright dropped his school-books, and at the early age of seventeen years responded to that call, by enlisting, on the 11th day of January, 1862, in the 10th O. B.. which was soon assigned to the Army of the Southwest, under Gen. Grant, participating in the battles of Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing), Corinth (where he and his gun came near being captured, only escaping by a desperat struggle), Iuka Jackson, Grand Gulf, Vicks-burg (forty-two days' siege), Kenesaw Mountain, Marrietta and Atlanta, Ga., where his gallant corps commander, Gen. McPherson, was killed on that memorable 22d of July, 1864. Thc rebels, having been driven entirely out of the Southwest, and Gen. Sherman taking up his march for Savannah, all troops, whose terms of enlistment were fast expiring, were ordered to Nashville, to which place the rebel Gen. Hood was fast making his approach; but the Union forces were there in time to give him a hot reception, and at this place the 10th O. B. fought its last fight for the Union cause and the stars and stripes. Mr. Wright having served his three years, was held two months over that time, on account of the battle of Nashville, where 600 soldiers laid down their lives after the term of enlistment had expired; he was then honorably discharged from the service of the United States, March 2, 1865. Though serving as a private through all this period, he was recommended for a commission for bravery at the battle of Corinth, of which particular mention is made in the army records, and in Whitelaw Reid's History of Ohio in the war (2d Vol.). On account of his age the General of the Army did not consider the recommendation favorably. Leaving the service, we again find him engaged in the quiet pursuit of farming and stock-raising. Continuing at that location until 1870, at which time he studied railroading and tele-graphing, and was employed on several Western roads in Illinois and Iowa. Returning to Ohio in 1875, he connected himself with the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad, as agent and operator at Enon, Ohio, where he still is employed. On Oct., 1875, he was married to Miss Mary F. Randall, of Springfield, Ohio, the issue of this marriage is a daughter (Estie), horn January 10, 1880. We are sorry to record the death of Mr. Wright's wife, which took place April 14, 1880, in the 23d year of her age. We leave Mr. Wright where we found him, young in years, but old in experience, ready and waiting (if need be) his country's call. Is a supporter of the present administration.
James ANDERSON, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Clifton. For more than half a century Mr. Anderson had been identified with the business interests of Clark County, being one of those men whose labors have been crowned with financial success, and his life has been characterized by that earnestness in all his affairs that makes it a success in every phase. He was born at Milnacraig, Scotland, July 22, 1815, and at the age of 4 years, emigrated with his father, James Anderson, to the United States, settling on " Clark Run," in Greene Co., Ohio, where they lived five years; removing thence to Clark County, and locating on the northwest part of Sec. 27, on the old Clifton road. In 1827, his father removed to a farm in Sec. 33, which he had purchased, and there resided until his death, in 1864, at the advanced age of 84 years. The subject of this sketch grew up under the paternal roof, and his education was obtained in the log schoolhouse of the primitive days, to which he added that more practical and serviceable education that comes from experience with the world, and gives more certainty of success in life. For ten years he owned an interest in a stock of merchandise at Clifton, and from a life of industry, temperance, economy and good management, he has accumulated a considerable property in Green Township, Springfield and Greene County. As a neighbor and citizen, he is highly esteemed, being generally chosen as the arbiter of differences among the people of his vicinity. Politically, a Republican, and a member of the Presbyterian Church, he has held, among other public trusts, the office of Township Clerk for twelve years, and been Justice of the Peace the same length of time, discharging every duty to the entire satisfaction of the people and with honor to himself.
George ELDER, farmer; P.O. Clifton; was born in this township January, 1839. His early years were spent on the farm, and his only means of education was that of the common schools of his neighborhood. At the age of 22, when his country was in the throes of civil war, he volunteered and entered the 16th Ohio Militia, and afterward served three years in Co. A, 94th O. V. I., of which he was Orderly-Sergeant. During this period he was at Chickamauga, Stone River and on other fields of blood, and was with Sherman "to the sea." The war over, he was honorably discharged and settled in Jackson County, Kan., in tile business of stock-raising, but that climate and occupation disagreeing with him, in a short time he closed out his interests there and returned to his native township, than which a fairer or better rural district would be difficult to find. Since his return he has followed farming, and is the owner of a farm very pleasantly located, and in a good state of cultivation. His people have honored him with the offices of Trustee, Assessor and Township Treasurer, the last of which he now holds. In 1869, he married Miss Sarah Kitchen, daughter of Abraham Kitchen, an old settler and highly esteemed citizen. She departed this life in 1872, and in 1875 he was married to Miss Jane Duval, daughter of Lewis Duval, and there are, issue of this marriage, three children-one girl and twin boys-all of whom live.
James T. GARLOUGH, farmer and stock-grower; P.O. Springfield, Ohio; son of Jacob Garlough, deceased; was born in this township June 3, 1834. He grew to manhood upon the farm, and received the winter's schooling customarily given by farmers to their sons in those days. In 1856, he commenced farming for himself on his present farm of 147+ acres, which he improved. March 6, 1856, he married Miss Sarah Jane, daughter of William Hause, deceased) then of Madison Township. To this marriage eight surviving children were given - Clara, Mary H., Alva T., Sheridan G., Alice, Jessie E., Willie F. and Robbie C., all except the first reside with their parents.
Edward R. GARLOUGH, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Springfield; son of Jacob Garlough; was born in this township in 1836; raised to farm life upon his father's farm, he has always pursued it. In 1860, he commenced business for himself, when he purchased his present farm, then of 147 acres, adjoin-ing a parcel of 75 acres he then owned. His farm now embraces 280+ acres. January 12, 1860, he married Miss Eliza A. Williams, a very intelligent lady. There is issue of this marriage - Canton, Wilber, John, Fred and Earl. In 1865, Mr. G. erected a barn, and in 1875 he erected a large residence. He and his wife are members of the Free-Will Baptist Church. His farm is in an excellent state of cultivation.
Jacob HIESTAND, farmer; P.O. Springfield; a native of York Co., Penn., born in 1822; when a lad, he, with his parents, went to Lancaster Co., Penn., and in 1875 he came to this State, locating in Madison Township, where he purchased a farm, which he afterward sold, and bought the Jacob Poorman farm, in the west part of this township. His father dying during his infancy, he early learned to provide for himself and thus was inculcated those lessons of industry and economy that have served him well in after years. In 1853, he married Miss Mary A. Brubaker, of Lancaster, Penn., by whom six children have been born - Henry, Capitola, Vandalia, McLellan, Flora and Lenora. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the German Reformed Church, and two of the children united with the Methodist. That Mr. H. understands farming is fully attested by the appearance and yield of his crops of the present year.
Ezra C. HARRIS, physician and surgeon, Clifton; was born Sept. 28. 1844, in Harmony Township, this county. His father being a tradesman in limited circumstances, his early years were so trenched upon to aid in maintaining the family that his opportunities for education were greatly abridged. In August, 1862, he responded to his country's call for aid in arms, and enlisted as a private in Com-pany I, 110th O. V. I.; met the enemy at Winchester, Spottsylvania, the Wilderness, and other hotly contested fields of blood, until April 10,1865, when, having been disabled by several gunshot wounds, he was honorably discharged and returned to civil life. Years of his life calculated by nature for education having been spent in arms in the service of his country, he now) on his return, attended a common school, taught by Prof. W. S. Grimm, in what is known as the Reed Schoolhouse. He next, during a period of four years, taught school in this and Champaign Counties, and then entered Wittenberg College, where he pursued his studies until the full expiration of the junior year. His parents having previously removed to Bellefontaine, Ohio, he located there and commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Pratt, under whom he studied one year, then took one course of lectures in Cincinnati Medical Col-lege, and completed his professional preparation and graduated in Columbus Medical College in the spring of 1876. He located and opened an office in Clifton, this county, where he has since remained; has built himself a commodious and neat residence and office, which evinces his industry, professional efficiency and success. On May 23, 1871, while a freshman in college, he was joined in marriage to Miss M. Belle, youngest daughter of Squire Anthony and Maria Wallace Bird, of Springfield Township, this county. The issue of this marriage is James Howard and Martha Mabel, aged respect-ively 7 and 4 years.
Edmund H. KEIFER, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Springfield. This gentleman comes of German origin, his great-grandfather, George Keifer, being a native of Germany, who settled in Maryland, where was born, in Washington County, Oct. 27, 1769, George Keifer, the grandfather of Edmund H., who was married to Margaret Hivner, a native of the same county, born July 24, 1772; this marriage occurred March 24, 1799, and the following children were the fruits of the union: Mary, Sarah, John, Catherine and George. The father of Edmund H. was John Keifer, who was born in Washington Co., Md., May 17,1802, and who came with his parents, in 1812, to Clark Co., Ohio, settling in Bethel Township, his father purchasing a large tract of land on which was born the noted Indian chief Tecumach. On this farm was a cabin and a small clearing, and here John Keifer grew to manhood, his parents residing on this property until death. He was married May 6,1824, to Miss Elizabeth Donnels, daugh-ter of Jonathan and Sarah Donnels, who were pioneers of Bethel Township, where Mrs. Sarah Keifer was born, March 19, 1804. Shortly after marriage, John Keifer bought out Donnels' heirs, and moved on to that farm, now known as the "Holcomb Limekiln Farm," and there remained until his father's death, when he sold it, and returned to the old homestead, which he purchased, and where he and his wife resided until death, he dying June 9, 1865, and his wife, June 29 of the same year. He was a Mason, a member of the I. O.O. F., and a Democrat all his life; was a General of militia, and a man of prominence in all the affairs of the county, and took an active interest in everything that he believed a benefit to the country at large. The subject of this sketch was born in Springfield Township, Feb.19, 1838, and educated in the common schools of the county, following the vocation of a farmer all his life. He was married Jan.11, 1859, to Miss Bethenia Miller, daughter of R. S. and Elizabeth (Shel-labarger) Miller, of Mad River Township, where Mrs. Keifer was born, Jan. 1, 1842, of which union the following children are the issue: Anna M. (the wife of John T. Stewart), Lizzie D. and George S. Mrs. Keifer's father is a native of Pickaway Co.; Ohio, and her mother of Clark County, the latter being deceased, and both belonged to the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Keifer was the fifth in a family of six children, the three youngest of whom are living, viz: John D. (residing in Missouri), Mary J. (the wife of R. S. Cross, of Topeka, Kan.), and himself. In the fall of 1865, he purchased his present farm of 225 acres, and, in the autumn of 1870, he erected a large, handsome residence, and has otherwise greatly improved the farm. Politically, he is an unswerv-ing Democrat, and is considered one of the leading farmers of his township, being a man who is respected for his honesty and integrity of character, as well as many other traits that go to make a good neighbor and a worthy citizen.
Abraham KITCHEN, retired farmer. Few men are better known or more universally respected by the community in which they reside than the old pioneer whose name stands at the head of this sketch. He was born in Warren Co., Ohio, Nov.19, 1808, and was the son of Stephen and Annie (Bercau) Kitchen. His mother dying when he was but 4 years old, he was cast among strangers to care and provide for him. In a country where means were limited, his lot was a hard one, and his early life full of vicissitudes and privations. He, however, had the good fortune to attend school in early boyhood, where he obtained fragments of an elementary education. In 1818, he came with his father to Clark Co., and they settled on the farm where he now lives, where they remained about two years, when, the household being again broken up, Abraham's lot was again cast among strangers. At the age of 16, he went to learn the blacksmith trade, at which be worked two years, when, finding the business uncongenial with his tastes, he abandoned it for the life of a farmer. During this time he attended school thirteen days at a subscription school those places of instruction being presided over by broken business men of intemperate habits from the East - when he quit the school-room in disgust and relied upon observation and the experience of life to fit him for its duties. In 1829, he located on his present farm, and on the 19th day of November, in the same year, he was united in marriage, by the Rev. Thomas J. Price, to Miss Matilda Jones, daughter of Erasmus Jones, of Greene Co., Ohio. Mrs. Kitchen was born in Ross Co., Ohio, June 21, 1809, and about 1818 her parents moved to Greene Co., Ohio, where they resided until death, both living to a good old age, her mother being 79 and her father 84 when they died. Mrs. Kitchen has had the following children: Margaret Ann, the wife of John McCullough, of Green Township; Jonathan S., one of the County Commissioners, residing in Spring-field; I.N., a leading farmer of Green Township; F. J. and M. J. (twins), the former a farmer of Green Township and the latter the wife of John Rife, of Greene Co., Ohio; Sarah, the deceased wife of George Elder, of Green Township; Jane V. and Stephen H. (deceased). In 1838 Mr. Kitchen joined the Harmony Township Free-Will Bap-tist Church, and, the organization afterward removing its location to his neighborhood, he donated a lot on which a church was built, and which stands as a monument of his zeal in the good cause. His wife united with the church about the same time, and both have ever since remained true and consistent members of the Free-Will Baptist organization. As to works of benevolence, temperance and reform, he is positive and aggressive, and prides himself on the position he held and advocated long before the war on the question of freeing the slaves, and in being one of the operators on the "Underground Railroad." Politically, Mr. Kitchen was a Whig, and afterward one of the first Free-soilers of his township, and, this finally merging into the Republican party, he has since voted and worked with that organization, and was always a dyed-in-the-wool Abolitionist, sending one of his sons (F. J. Kitchen) to fight in defense of freedom. He has given his children a good education, and has helped them liberally with his means; and, although beginning in life a poor man, he has, by determined energy, succeeded far beyond his most sanguine expectations; and besides the help given his children, has yet the old homestead of 250 acres of land, and a handsome bank account-all the legitimate result of industry and true economy. Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen have been man and wife for fifty-two years, and have always lived on the home farm. On the 28th day of November, 1879, they celebrated their golden jubilee event seldom occurring in the annals of married life, and on that happy day were each pre-sented by their children with a handsome gold watch as a mark of love and reverence. Mr. Kitchen is honest and upright in all the relations of life, and is trusted and respected throughout the county.
Isaac N. KITCHEN, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Selma. This gentleman belongs to one of the pioneer families of Clark Co., being the son of Abraham and Matilda Kitchen, whose sketch will be found in this work. Isaac N. was born in Green Township, May 5,1834, and grew to maturity on the old homestead, attending the district school as much as circumstances would permit, and, at the age of 21, with scarcely any capital but his own natural business capacity, he started in life for himself, by buying the old Concord saw-mill, giving in part payment his individual promissory note. In six months, he disposed of this mill, taking in exchange part land in Darke Co., Ohio, and the balance in notes, on which, with some difficulty, he realized; and in 1858, located upon the "Littler Farm," in his present neighborhood, where he lived ten years, then purchased the "William Marshall farm," of 110 acres, a portion of which he has ever since resided upon. He was married, Jan. 21, 1858, to Miss Hannah H. Ridge, daughter of Simpson and Jemima Ridge, of Warren Co., Ohio, where Mrs. Kitchen was born June 6,1832, and to this union have been given six children, viz., Ida (the wife of T. J. Wires), Lenella J. (the wife of Dr. M. P. Hunt), Warren A. and Emma (twins), Wm. B. and Anna (twins) and Mary H. Mr. Kitchen's entire acreage is close on to 600 acres, and in 1878, he completed a fine frame residence, finished and furnished through-out with a taste that is well up with his means and prosperity, it being one of the most commodious and best-finished residences in the township. In farming, he consumes the principle products of the farm by feeding stock, having now 500 head of sheep on hand, and his principle success has been attained by raising and feeding hogs, sheep and cattle for the market. Politically, Mr. Kitchen is a Republican ; has been Township Trustee two years and School Director twelve. During the rebellion, sent a substitute for three years, one for the 100-day service, one for the "Morgan raid," and was one of those who responded to the Governor's call the time of the "Kirby Smith raid," an4 who are known as the Squirrel Hunters." For twenty-seven years Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen have been consistent members of the Free-Will Baptist Church, and in every public measure he has been on the side of progress, helping to build up the county by every means in his power; and as a business man, he has few superiors, being energetic, of keen perceptions, honest and upright in all things; as a neighbor, kind and obliging, he has attained a leading position in the township of which he is an honored citizen.
Robert F. MARSHALL, farmer; P.O. Springfield; son of William Marshall, this county, was born in this county July 27, 1827; the following years of his youth were spent in this county, where he remained, until in 1855, he removed to Lexington, McLean Co., Ill., where he lived six years, and then returned to this township, where he has since resided. About three years, during the late war, he was in the service of the United States Government. His remaining years have been given to farming. His father dying when he was 14 years old, his opportunities for an early education were very limited, but he improved well what he had, and in after years has kept well up with the literature and news of the times. June 2,1853, he was joined in mar-riage to Miss Agnes Elder, a lady of intelligence and merit, daughter of Thomas Elder, a deceased early settler and very highly esteemed citizen of this township. Of this marriage six children are living with their parents - Kate, May, William, Elder, Robert and Winfred. Among other offices of trust and confidence, Mr. M. has held that of Township Clerk during the twelve consecutive years last past, and has discharged its duties to the entire satisfaction of his constituents, and with honor to himself.
John MILLS, retired farmer; P.O. Springfield; was born on his present farm in 1826. His father, Thomas Mills, a native of Virginia, born in 1785, entered the land, 340 acres, at an early day-part of it in 1812, and died in this township in 1865. John's early education was that of the common schools, and his early life was wholly spent upon the farm. In 1869, he married Miss Clara J., daughter of Peter C. Baird, of Harmony Township. There is no issue of this marriage. Mr. M. and wife are both members of the Methodist Protestant Church of the neighborhood. In 1868, he completed a very neat and well-finished frame residence, which he and his amiable wife have fitted and furnished with very excellent taste, where they enjoy the comforts and quiet of retired farm life.
James MILLS, farmer; P. O. Springfield; son of Thomas Mills, was born in Kentucky, May 15, 1809. He was raised to farm life, and received a common school education. When 3 years old, his parents came to this State, and settled upon the farm adjoining his present farm. His father purchased his present farm in 1827 or 1828, of one John Humphreys. In 1831, James took possession, and has since resided upon it. Dec. 16, 1830, he married Delilah Moore, by whom five children were born, two of whom, Thomas Mills and Nancy F. Cultice, survive. Delilah died in 1855, and our Subject was married to Harriet Morgan, who still presides over his household. He has 130 acres of excellent bottom land, of which 100 acres are under cultivation.
Thomas MILLS (deceased). Among the deceased pioneers of Clark Co., the gentleman whose name heads this sketch stood deservedly high. He was born in the "Old Dominion" March 30, 1785, and in 1790 came with his parents down the Ohio on a flat-boat, to Maysville, Ky., having had to "run the gantlet" of Indian at-tacks which were made occasionally from the thickly wooded river banks. They settled in Fleming Co., Ky., where the parents of Thomas remained until death. He grew up in Fleming Co., and was there he married Feb.17, 1807, to Jane Dale, a native of Virginia. In thc spring of 1812 they came to Ohio, remaining a short time close to where Clifton is now located, and in the latter part of the year he entered 160 acres of land in Sec. 23 of what is now Green Township, Clark Co, but was at that time a porti6n of Greene Co. Ohio. Two years later, he entered 80 acres in Sec. 29, joining his first entry on the west. On the first mentioned piece of land he built his cabin in 1812 or 1813 and there in the wild forests he began his pioneer life in Ohio. To Thomas and Jane Mills were born ten children as follows: James, Nancy, Martha, Sibbia, Hannah, Thomas, Letitia, John. Mary, and one died in infancy. Only three of the above are now living, viz., James, Hannah and John, the latter of whom has inserted his father's portrait in the history of the county. Thomas Mills was elected a Justice of the Peace of Green Township in 1821, holding that office nine years, and he also filled several minor township offices during his lifetime. He and wife were faithful members of the Meth-odist Protestant Church of the neighborhood, and died firm believers in the teachings of that church, she dying June 15, 1844, her husband surviving her over twenty years, and dying Dec.18, 1865. Thomas Mills was a man of undeviating, unswerving hon-esty and integrity of character, and although coming to this county a poor man, he, by rigid industry and economical habits, accumulated a. handsome estate, the legitimate re-sult of his lifelong saving, and energetic business habits. Politically, he was a Whig, and afterward a Republican, and did what he could to build up the moral and educa-tional "welfare of his township. He was a true man in spirit and action, and is yet kindly remembered for his many good traits of character and honesty of purpose in dealing with his fellow-man, having ever labored to make the golden rule" his guide through life.
John G. NAVE, farmer; P.O. Springfield; son of Jacob Nave, an early set-tler, was born June 10, 1838, in this township. His early education was that usually received at the common schools, and his early life was spent on his father's farm. On Aug. 3, 1861, he married to Miss Gram, daughter of Jacob Gram, a native of Pennsylvania. She bore him five children - Minnie P., Alpharetta O., Justinus T., Jacob P. and John C. Fremont. In 1870, Mr. N. bought his present farm of John Luse. Since the purchase he has much improved it. On April 17, 1880, a terrible accident, such as few men survives befell him. A horizontal bar or lever he was using in pulling a stump flew back with great violence, striking him across and breaking both his limbs above the ankles. His life was reasonably despaired of but a good physical constitution, good moral courage and good attendants brought him safely through, so that now he not only superintends all but does most of his own farm work. Mr. and Mrs. N. are both mem-bers of the Free-Will Baptist Church, and he is Superintendent of the Sunday school. Among other offices he has filled that of member of the Township Board of Education and Township Trustee.
John B. PATTON, farmer, stock-grower and feeder; P.O. Springfield; was born at Donnelsville, this county, Dec.24, 1846. He is the son of John and Christina A. (Bates) Patton, both natives of this State. His father was a physician, and died when our subject was 10 months old, leaving three helpless boys to the care of his mother; but his maternal grandfather, Henry Bates, afforded him, his mother and brothers that aid and protection in life of which they had been deprived by death. A common-school education and a commercial term, were his scholastic preparations for the stern duties of life. At the age of 18 or 19, he commenced business for himself, and rented his grandfather's farm of.125 acres, paying his rent in a share of the crop. In 1878, he purchased his present farm of 160 acres, which he is bringing to a fine state of cultivation by the most approved methods of fertilization. He was married to Miss Carrie Brentlinger, daughter of Andrew Brentlinger of Montgomery Co., this State, March 2,1871. To them four children have been given. Almost as soon as he attained his majority, he was honored and trusted by his people with office, and among others, he has honorably discharged the duties of Township Clerk and Assessor, and is at present Township Trustee and Justice of the Peace.
Lewis SKILLINGS, farmer, stock-grower and feeder; P.O. Springfield; was born in Springfield Township, July 24,1831. He is of Prussian descent; his grand-father, Lewis Skillings, having been a native of that country, born in 1850. This grand--father, rather than serve as a hireling soldier against the American Colonies then struggling for liberty, deserted and settled in Maine, where he married Mary Blagam. They left seven children, of whom Lewis, the father of our sketch, was the oldest. At the age of 22, he came West, landing at Cincinnati in 1810. He boated on the Ohio and Mississippi for a time, and then settled in Springfield Township, this county, where he died in 1869. Our subject has always followed farming. At the age of 20, though living in his father's family, he commenced business for himself, by dealing in live-stock on a small scale. When 25 years old, he left the parental household and engaged in business for himself, and, with his brother John, purchased 105 acres of land, where he now resides. Before the purchase money was fully paid, this brother died, and he com-pleted the purchase and became the sole owner of the property to which he has since added 311 acres in the neighborhood. On Dec.13, 1855, he married Miss Martha A., daughter of Calvin Hammond, of Harmony Township. To this marriage there have been given five children - Fremont, Laura, Rolley, Autice and Carrie, all living at home with their parents. Mr. S. has erected a fine brick residence, and a fine frame barn with stone base; all constructed, finished and furnished in the most elegant taste, and of the most improved designs.
John B. SPARROW, farmer, stock-raiser, and dealer in stock; P.O. Spring-field; was born in this county July 3, 1829; his father's name was John; his education was that of the common schools, and his early life was spent, as his whole life has been, upon the farm. At the age of 21, he commenced farming for himself upon the Marquart farm, this township, where he has lived forty-one years. March 1, 1854, he married Miss Ann, daughter of Mark and Esther Johnson. Of this marriage, ten out of twelve children survive; two have married and left the parental home, and the remainder yet remains. In April, 1879, Mr. S. bought 209 acres, part of the Marquart landed estate.
John T. STEWART (deceased). There is perhaps no family in Clark Co. who are more widely known than the descendants of John T. Stewart, and most of his sons are leading business men of the community in which they reside, and a credit to their deceased father. The family are of Scotch origin, and went to Ireland about 1661, changing their name from Stuart to Stewart, to avoid persecution. In 1735, the grand-parents of John T., viz., Samuel T. Stewart and wife, came to the American Colonies, and with them came the father of John T., viz., Samuel Stewart, a native of Belfast, Ireland, the family settling in Pennsylvania. The subject of this sketch was the fifth son of Samuel Stewart, and was born in Dauphin Co., Penn., March 3, 1781, and there grew to maturity, his father dying in that county Sept. 19,1803. In the autumn of 1806 he, with his brother, Samuel, came to Ohio, and purchased 500 acres of land in Sec. 15, Town 5, Range 8, which was then a part of Greene Co., but now lays in Green Township, Clark Co., Ohio. About 1815, they divided the land, John T. receiving the southern portion in the division then made. He was married near his home, March 2, 1815, to Miss Ann Elder, third daughter of Robert and Ann Elder, natives of Dau-phin Co., Penn., who settled on Sec. 10 of the same township in the spring of 1813. Mrs. Stewart was born in her parents' native county, May 19, 1798, and had the fol-lowing children by this union: Juliana, Perry, Elder B., Samuel, Charles, James N., Thomas E., Oscar N., William C. and Harriet, all of whom are living but the last- mentioned, who died in infancy. John T. and wife resided with his brother, Samuel, until he built a house on his own place, whither they removed in the fall of 1816. In 1813, he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he held until 1836; he was the first Clerk of the Clifton Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1811; was the first Clerk of his Township, and served as Associate Judge one term. He continued to reside on the old homestead until his death, April 16, 1850, his widow surviving him thirty years, dying Sept. 24,1880. Both were life long members of the Presbyterian Church, and went down to the grave with a strong faith in a blissful immortality. John T. Stewart was a man of ability and intellectual worth; of the strictest temperance views, and can be truly called one of the pioneer temperance men of Clark Co. He was a rank Abolitionist, and early took strong grounds against slavery, and believed that nothing but a war would be able to strike the shackles from the slave, which demon-strates that he possessed a discerning, far-seeing mind, much in advance of his time. He was one of the most energetic successful farmers of Clark Co., and accumulated an estate worth, at the time of his death, $40,000, which was considered wealthy in those days. He was a man honored and respected by all classes of society, and has left a name that his descendants can point to with just pride. His portrait appears in the pages of this work, having been inserted by his children, who yet love and honor his memory, and who believed that it was their duty to represent him in this history, where he justly deserved a place.
Perry STEWART, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Springfield; was born in this township June 6, 1818, and was the eldest son of John and Ann Stewart; raised to farm life, he has always pursued it. His early education was such as the common schools of the country afforded during his boyhood; but a close observation of and a large experience with the ways of mankind and the business world, have given his mind a cultivation and finish that fit him for the duties and stations in life far above the humble though honorable one of his choice. Of Scottish descent, his ancestry having first removed from Scotland to the northern part of Ireland, thence to Pennsyl-vania, and thence to Ohio. To perseverance, pluck, industry and economy, he adds liberality, generosity and hospitality. Oct.15, 1844, he married Miss Rhoda Wheeler, daughter of Ebenezer, who was born Dec. 31, 1824, in this township also. Of this marriage ten children, five sons and five daughters, were born, all of whom survive ex-cept one daughter, and many of them grown to manhood and womanhood, fill honora-ble stations in life, while the remainder are yet in the family household. Upon his marriage, he commenced farming for himself on a farm of 130 acres, where he now lives, and to which he has added until this farm embraces 340 acres, and his entire landed possessions embrace over 600 acres in the vicinity. That he is an enterprising and successful farmer not only the width of his acres, but their state of cultivation and the improvements upon them, leave no room for doubt. In 1862, when rebellion threatened the destruction of our civil government and the spoliation of our Union, he left his family of wife and eight children, his farm and stock, aided in recruiting Co. A, 94th O. V. I., was commissioned Captain of it, and led it into the field. After eighteen months' service, the privations of camp life and the exposure and hardships of it brought disease and disability, and compelled his resignation and a return to civil life. In 1865, he was chosen County Commissioner of his county, and in 1867 a Represen-tative of his district in the General Assembly of his state, both of which offices he discharged the duties of to the satisfaction of his constituents.
David STEWART, farmer; P.O. Clifton; was born on his present farm in 1833, and is a son of James and Jane (Elder) Stewart. He was reared to farm life, his youth having been given to the cultivation of the homestead farm, under the instruc-tion of his father until in 1859, when he married Miss Laura McKehan, a native of Maryland, born in 1837, who came West with her parents at the age of 13. Here she matured into womanhood, married as above, and in October, 18t3, died. After the marriage of David, he engaged in farming for himself upon his father's farm of 130 acres, of which he is now the owner, and to which he has added until it embraces 210 acres of well-improved land in an excellent state of cultivation. He, for six years has been, and now is Township Trustee; has three daughters and two sons, all of whom are yet with him in single life. The residence of his birth he yet lives in, and has enlarged, repaired and improved in the most modern style of architecture until it, in size, finish and appearance, compares favorably with any in that neighborhood.