Clermont County Genealogical Society
Record of Clermont’s Illustrious Heroes who Fought the British in 1776.
The Most Interesting Chapter of War History ever Published.
Many of the sturdy pioneers of southwestern Ohio rendered valiant service in the struggle for American independence. Clermont had a fair proportion of these heroic fathers, whose valor and sufferings are recounted at the fireside of many a patriotic home of the present generation.
lived in Batavia township, where, in 1805, his daughter, Mary, married Hugh Ferguson, father of the venerable Hon. James Ferguson, of Clay county, Indiana, formerly auditor of this county, and owner of the Sun paper. Mr. Arthur as late as 1840 was living in Ohio township.
resided in 1840 in Ohio township, and was like Mr. Arthur on the Revolutionary pension list.
lived south of Mt. Carmel, where he and his brother, Elisha, who served under General Wayne in the Indian war and expedition, were large land owners. None of their descendants are left in the county.
DR. RICHARD ALLISON
was born in Orange county, New York, about 1743, served seven years as surveyor, and was the first established physician in Cincinnati. He was with General Wayne’s campaign against the Indians in 1794. In 1798 he removed from Cincinnati, where he had located in 1791, to Clermont county, where he had several surveys of land, and settled at the confluence of Stonelick creek with the East Fork. There he resided until about 1812, when he returned to the city. He laid out the town of Allisonin, but his death in 1816 prevented its becoming a growing town or the county seat as he expected. He was acknowledged to be the greatest surveyor west of the Alleghenies. His wife, Rebecca, daughter of General D. E. A. Strong, of the regular army, subsequently married Rev. Samuel West and became the mother of the late Major Samuel R. West and Mrs. Rebecca J. E., wife of John Kugler.
was one of the first settlers of Williamsburg, coming there a year or two later than the Kains. His son, James, lived and died near Concord, his daughter, Hettie, married Peter Sears and removed, and Polly Bunton, who first came to that village with Polly Kain and shared with her the honor of being the first white woman in Williamsburg, married Daniel Kidd, father of the venerable Uncle Joe Kidd.
died at Point Pleasant near the beginning of the present century. One of his sons, William, married a daughter of General Presley Neville, and another son, George, married a daughter of Andrew Buchanan. Byrnes was an emigrant from the north of Ireland and was a “trooper” against the “red coats.”
was an old man when he came, in 1801, to near Withamsville, and settled in the Prickett neighborhood.
emigrated to America in 1764, and settled in Washington county, Pennsylvania. He was an own cousin to the ex-President Buchanan, who located in Lancaster, the same State. In 1792 he emigrated to Mason county, Kentucky, in 1796 to the mouth of Bullskin in Franklin township, and in 1799 to Washington township, where he died in 1802, his wife following him in 1812. His son, William, was the first permanent settler in Washington township, having come over from Kentucky in the summer of 1795. Alexander's children were William Alexander, jr., Robert, James, John, married to Margaret, daughter of Thomas Fee, and father of the present Representative, Andrew, the old coroner, and Jane, married to William Dixon, Martha, to Thomas Phillips, and a third girl to Mr. Wilson. He served in all the New Jersey battles.
was born in New Jersey in 1760, and in 1809, settled in this county on the farm lately occupied by his son, Emly, four miles from Goshen. He died August 4, 1826, and his wife, Ann (Watson,) March 27, 1827. Their children were Nathaniel, Daniel, Watson, Emely, Mrs. Susannah Banghart, Mrs. Lucy Mount, Mrs. Jane Cox, Mrs. Rebecca Paxton, Mrs. Sarah Gatch and Mary, unmarried.
was born in 1862 at the old Redstone fort in Pennsylvania, and was the son of German parents, who were massacred by the Indians when Adam was about eight months old. He served sixteen months in the Revolution and afterwards in the Indian wars, and became with Cornelius Washburn a faithful scout and spy for the Government against the savages. In 1796 he built a little cabin at Williamsburg and followed hunting till 1805, when he married Rebecca Hartman. He died on his farm a few miles south of Williamsburg, August 31, 1843, about the last of the old Indian fighters in all this region.
lived in Batavia township in the Atchley stettlement. He was a brother in law of the pioneer Peter Hardin, and one of his daughters married Joseph Brown.
was wounded in the leg, moved from Virginia to Kentucky in 1790, and ten years later to the northwestern part of Franklin township, on the farm now owned by John Trees. He removed to Illinois in 1830, but one of his sons, Uncle Steve Conrey, lived in Washington township, where he had two children.
was a pensioner in Wayne township in 1840, and had a little homestead on Harvie and Fenn's big survey.
was a pensioner in 1840 in Stonelick township, where he settled in 1805 on the farm now owned by John Moore. He was of Pennsylvania German descent, and previous to coming to Clermont had lived at Garrett’s Station. He served under Wayne, Mercer and Lafayette. He was the father of the late Elijah Cowen, and was the last survivor of the Revolutionary soldiers in the township.
a native of Virginia, and settled on the Frank Glancy farm. He was in Harry Lee’s cavalry and wounded in two actions by sabre cuts. He left two children, Noah and Rebecca.
was born in 1765, and was out six months in special militia service when the American forces were beseiging Yorktown. He came to near Milford in 1797, and was one of the three first county commissioners. His children were Isaac, Abraham, Jacob, and daughters married to Samuel Shumard and George Ward, of Stonelick, and John. Bill, of Indiana. Of these Jacob died in 1840, and was the father of Moses D, John, William and Mrs. John H. Gest.
was the first man to settle in Monroe township, where, in the fall of 1795, he located at mouth of Indian creek. He removed in 1812, and while in the county he spent most of his time in hunting, and supplied many of the early settlers with game as the woods were full of wild animals and fowls thick on the streams.
was but a boy in the Revolution, but was for nine months a drummer in the western Pennsylvania regiment from near Pittsburg. In 1788 he emigrated to Kentucky, and 1808 to Franklin township, and in 1810 to Tate township, near Mt. Olive, where he died in 1857. In Wayne's Indian campaign of 1794 he was a scout and spy and an associate of Simon Kenton. Of his children William and Robert went to Indiana, James and John died in Tate, where Samuel still lives, Rachel was married to Robert Carr, Keziah to Christian Zimmerman, and JeMima to Morgan Ford.
was a pensioner in Monroe township in 1840 and lived on his farm in Overton’s survey on Boat Run. At an early day he was a stone mason in Williamsburg.
was the first settler in Jackson township and was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1755. He died in 1840 and was never married. He came to Clermont in 1798 with his brother in law, William Hunter. He served all the Revolution and was with Colonel Bowman’s expedition against “Old Chillicothe” in June 1770, where he was wounded in the shoulder. He was in General Hamar’s expedition against the Indians in 1791. William Hunter, who married his sister, Mary Dickey, came to America from Ireland in 1782. Colonel Dickey was a celebrated Indian fighter.
brother of the foregoing, came some seven years latter to Jackson township. He was in eight battles and the father of six children – William, Benjamin, Samuel, Hughey, Elizabeth and Jane, all of whom have left the county.
came from the Blue Ridge country, Virginia and settled at the mouth of Shaylor's run in Union township where he died in 1825. He was in the Southern campaign under General Green. He left eight children, among them were Thomas, who had a distillery and mill, but went to Indiana; Henry, father of Shadrach, John and William went to Indiana, Joseph, who died at the mouth of Hall's run in 1855, and who was in the war of 1812.
born near Baltimore, Maryland, came West at the time of the first settlement near the mouth of the Little Miami river. In 1800 he built a log cabin, near Tobasco, on his 800 acre tract, to which he added in a few years 400 hundred acres more. His first child, Sarah, was married to Jonathan Frazier, near Perin’s Mills; the second, Ellen, to Joseph Martin in Hamilton county, near the Clermont line; third, Elizabeth, to Alexander Morrison, and the fourth, Samuel, to Susan Ayer, who settled on a tract given him by his father, near Tobasco.
was born in New Jersey; removed to Greene county before the Revolution, in which he served a year, and in 1794 emigrated to Ohio, coming down the river and landed at the mouth of the Little Miami, twelve miles above Cincinnati, and in a few years permanently settled in Pierce township on the waters of Ten Mile creek. He was the progenitor of the numerous Donham family in Clermont. He was first married in New Jersey to Mary Sutton, and afterwards to Keziah Crossley, of the same State. By his first marriage he had one daughter, who never came West, and three sons, David, John and Lewis. By his second marriage there was one daughter, Mary, and six sons, Henry, Abel, William, Amos, Robert, and Jonathan S., the latter the father of ex-treasurer Donham and Hon. Perry J. Donham.
emigrated from Essex county, New Jersey, and in 1805 located on Harner’s run in Miami township. He was a cooper and made barrels for Christian Waldsmith. He had seven sons and four daughters, Isaac, a cooper at Newberry, John in Stonelick, William in Miami, Eli, who went to Indiana, Moses, the venerable magistrate, yet living in Union, Freeman, a cooper at New Richmond, and Mrs. Ebenezer Osborn, Mrs. John Mann, Mrs. John Eppert and John VanZandt. He died in 1814 and his widow married Bethnal Covalt, an early pioneer. Mr. Elstun’s father and his wife’s father, John Payne, also were in the Revolution.
settled on Shaylor’s Run in Union township, and lived to be 101 years old.
was a New Richmond pioneer, and served under General Nathaniel Greene. He was of Quaker parentage, and in the hour of trial his mother said, “Stephen, if thee will go to defend the liberties of thy county never let thy mother hear that her son was wounded in the back,” an admonition worthy of a place with utterances of the heroic Spartan mothers.
was of the famous house of Ferguson Ireland, and the son of Thomas Ferguson, who was with Washington at Braddock's defeat. Isaac served for four years in the "days that tried men's souls," came to Kentucky in 1784, was in the fight with the Indians in Jackson township in 1791, with the Kentucky boys under Kenton, and in 1793 crossed over the river and settled below New Richmond, where he established "Ferguson's Ferry." He died in 1818, leaving seven sons and three daughters. The sons were Isaiah - father of the late Representative Hon. Ira Ferguson - Zachariah, Hugh, Isaac, Francis, James and Thomas.
came in 1792 with the Greggs and Buchanans from western Pennsylvania to Kentucky, and seven years later he removed to Indian creek on the present David Moreton farm, having passed three years at mouth of Bullskin creek. His sons were Thomas, William, James, Samuel, Elias, Elijah, Elisha, Jesse and daughters Sarah and Rachel. He was born in 1763, did frontier service in the revolution; was the progenitor of the very numerous family of his name in Clermont and died in 1820. He was a zealous Methodist and his pioneer home the centre of church gathering and intinerant's visits.
father of the venerable Hon. David Fisher, of Mt. Holly, was born in 1750, near Philadelphia, and was the son of a German emigrant. He married Susannah Jones, sister of Thos. Jones, also a revolutionary soldier. He served eighteen months in the war and his descendants in Clermont have his discharge papers attesting his good soldierly qualities. His life was well depicted in a recent number of the Courier, giving an interview with his distinguished son.
born in Germany, settled in Penn’s Valley, Pa., and was one year in actual service. He came to Goshen township in 1799, and died three years later. Of his family went George to Indiana, Peter to Iowa, Lewis removed to Warren county, Andrew settled on north side of O’Banion creek, Jacob died in Warren county. His daughters, Eva and a second one were married respectively to Jacob Myers and Jacob Stroup.
was born in Alsace, then a province of France, about the year 1752, and his wife was a German woman. He was a Frenchman but spoke both German and French, though his children were taught in the latter language only. He came to America with the French soldiers under Lafayette, under whom he fought in the Revolution of 1776. At the close of that patriotic struggle he returned home and married his wife in the adjoining province of Loraine. He again entered the French service under Napoleon with whom he crossed the Alps, and under whom he fought for seven long years, for which he received a medal and an honorable discharge in addition to his meagre monthly stipend. He came to this country in the early part of the century and settled in Pierce township, where his children were born. They were George Fishback, the well known farmer near Olive Branch; Philip, residing at Cherry Grove, Hamilton county, and Jacob, who years ago went to the Pike's Peak country, besides two daughters, one of whom never married but the other married Mr. Gosnecht, whose two children live near Cincinnati. He having died, she again married a man at Seymour, Indiana. This old Napoleonic and Revolutionary veteran lived between the old Samie Wood's farm and Withamsville, where he died about 1850, nearly one hundred years old. The barrel of his old gun, which he carried in the campaigns of Napoleon in Germany and Italy, is in the possession of his son, George, in Batavia township, while the son, Philip, at Cherry Grove, has a paper discharge in French signed by the great Napoleon, testifying to Fishback's brave soldierly qualities, and recounting the many battles in which he participated.
served under Washington at Monmouth and Brandywine, and was one of the storming party of Lafayette in the attack on the British redoubts two days before the capture of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He was born in York county, Pa., and in 1805 came to this county, where he had purchased 1000 acres of land in Stonelick township. He was accompanied by his wife, three sons, William, John, and Joseph and his nephew, James, and his daughter, Elizabeth and niece. William married Elizabeth Metcalfe and had eleven children. John married Elizabeth Shields and had eleven children. Joseph, the third son, never married. The daughter Elizabeth married Judge John Pollock. The nephew and niece, both married and raised large families.
came from Greene county, Pa., to Kentucky in 1792, and in 1795 crossed to Washington township with William Buchanan and built a cabin at where Neville now is, where they put in a crop of corn. Finding he had located on the Neville instead of the Anderson survey, which was to contain his land, he returned to Kentucky discouraged. His children were Samuel, George – both of whom afterwards settled on Indian creek, Ann Ruth married to Felty Harmon, Margaret married to Robert Buchanan, Sarah to John Fee and Hannah to Col. John O. Hamilton. John Gregg was nine months in the patriot war. Joseph, the third son, never married. The daughter Elizabeth married Judge John Pollock. The nephew and niece both married and raised large families.
who came from New Jersey to Batavia township, was a pensioner of the patriot army. He was the father of James, John and Cornelius – those two remained and died in New Jersey. Abraham, Mary, married to Thomas Tate, Jane to Charles Robinson, Martha twice married and the late Lot Hulick, father of Judge G. W. Hulick.
was on the pension list in Jackson township in 1840.
came from New Jersey and settled on Lucy's Run in Monroe. He died in 1826. Of his sons, Samuel settled on the farm now owned by John Slye, William on part of the home farm, Abraham went to Indiana, Jacob A. kept the homestead, and Isaac lived on the Ohio turnpike.
was born in 1750 in Germany at Swintzburg, Hesse Cassel, and when three years old his parents emigrated to Pennsylvania with his fours sons, John, Joseph, George and Christopher. The latter was in Wayne’s Pennsylvania regiment for eighteen months and in the Brandywine battle. He married in 1776, Mary Hutchinson, of New Jersey, by whom he had the following children: William, Isaac, Samuel, Elizabeth, married to Jacob Roudebush, Catharine, to Ephraim McAdams, Rachel to John Page, Rebecca to Adam Bricker, and Fanny died unmarried. Mr. Hartman subsequently served in Smallwood’s Maryland brigade. He was the best millwright in southern Ohio and died March 16, 1833, leaving a very numerous posterity in Jackson township, where he kept the first hotel two hundred yards south of the present residence of J. K. Hartman in a cabin he built in 1802, to which he came from Kentucky in 1801, having gone there from Pennsylvania in 1795.
joined the American army in 1778, and took part in the battle of Cowpens, and was under Lafayette at the capture of Yorktown. He was born near Richmond, Virginia, and in 1815 settled in Jackson township on the farm owned by his son, Cornelius Harlow, who was born in 1795 and is still living. He went to Kentucky in 1790, in 1805 came to Adams county and then to Clermont. He married a sister of Cornelius Washburn by whom he had eight children: John C., Jeremiah, Louis, Garret, Cornelius, Rhoda, Mary and Rebecca.
came from Maryland from which State he served three years under General Williams, and settled near Mulberry in Miami township. He removed about 1815 to Indiana.
emigrated from Kentucky in 1815 and located on the present site of Edenton. He had went in 1788 to Kentucky, where he married Sarah Rich by whom he had six children, John; Otho, William, Elizabeth, Nancy and Sarah. He was the first millwright in Wayne township. He was in all the battles in New Jersey and Long Island.
was a pioneer in Williamsburg, where he was a saddler by trade. He was a drummer in the service. He was the father of William Howell.
served in the Pennsylvania reserves. He was born December 17, 1757, in Pennsylvania; married first Eva Hockensmith, and later her sister Nancy. He came to Ohio in 1802, and settled on the Iuen farm just north of Boston. He died in 1846 and his wife in 1849. He was the first blacksmith in Stonelick, and made the first grain cradle ever made within its limits.
was an ensign in the war, and came from Pennsylvania to Columbia in 1791, and in 1800 settled in Stonelick on the farm owned by John Smith. In 1794-5, he commanded Geraul’s Station, which he filled till after the treaty at Greenville. He served two years in the Revolution and came out a captain. He married Theodosia Edwards, and his children were Jackson, Richard, Lytle, Elenor, Ruth and Isabel.
lived south of the Shetterly settlement in Goshen township to which he came in 1801 from Berks county, Pa. He left a son David.
was born in 1764 in Chowan county, N. C., and in 1804 came to Loveland and in 1808, he came to where is now the site of Edenton. He was out nine months in service while the British were overrunning the Carolinas. He married in 1785 Mary Valentine and had three sons and five daughters. Of his children Nathaniel and Silas V. are the only ones that ever settled in Clermont, having located in Wayne township.
is buried at Mt. Zion grave yard in Franklin township. He came from Kentucky in 1800 and settled north of Chilo about half a mile on the Taliaferro survey, where he owned fifty acres. He married the widow Waterfield, who was a sister of Zadock Watson, the pioneer, and the mother of Jacob Waterfield, born March 7, 1790, the father of William Waterfield, of the Cincinnati Globe Tobacco Warehouse. The Waterfield, Watson and Johnston families in 1788 removed from Maryland to Kentucky, and came to this county between 1798 and 1800. This soldier, who served in the Maryland line, died northeast of Felicity on the Innis survey, where he owned a little house. No stone marks his resting place.
died in Tate in 1826, having come to Clermont from New Jersey and purchased seven hundred acres. He was three years in the Revolution. His eldest son, John, lived on the Colonel Thomas farm till his removal South; Sabil married Ruhama Blackman and lived on the Ohio turnpike till his death April 23, 1873; Samuel was a merchant in Bethel; Robert resided on the homestead, and the other children were Jesse, jr. and Catharine.
from Pennsylvania settled at the mouth of Nine Mile creek in 1806, having tarried in Kentucky two years. He died about 1804 leaving the following children: Thomas, David, Lemuel, William, John, Mrs. Isaiah Ferguson, and Mrs. James Fitzpatrick, from whom numerous descendants yet remain in Pierce township.
a Revolutionary soldier in the Virginia Line, came in 1807 to Union township, where he died upwards of 102 years old, on the farm owned by his son Thomas.
was from Pennsylvania and served in Wayne's brigade. He was the brother in law of Adam Fisher, the father of the venerable Hon. David Fisher. He settled in Washington township and died on Indian creek in 1827. His sons, George and Henry, died in that township; Anthony lived in Felicity, and David and John removed to Indiana.
was born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, was nine months in the Pennsylvania Contingent, and in 1791 with his brothers, Daniel and David, descended the Ohio to Columbia. In 1797 he located in Ohio township and erected the first cabin on the site of the town of New Richmond. In 1813 he built a large brick house on the river, in which he died. Of his children John died on his farm in 1872, aged 86; Daniel died in Monroe in 1878; Jacob died about 1870, David went to Illinois, Peter remained in New Richmond, and Benjamin died in 1875. There were four daughters and seven sons.
was born in 1762, enlisted for three years in June 1779 in Captain Clement Wheeler’s company, Colonel Joshua Bell’s regiment, Maryland line, and served until after Cornwalli’s capture. Was discharged at Leesburg, Virginia, when his company was commanded by Captain Zachariah Berry. Lived with this wife in Monroe township, and in 1830 owned no property. Resided with his son.
was in the Pennsylvania State troops, and in 1803 came to Stonelick township, and settled on the farm now owned by Mrs. Hannah Leming. He came from Kentucky to which he had emigrated in 1790. He married Polly Pattison, and was the father of the following children: Mary, Philip, Elizabeth, Nelly, Christina, William and Rebecca. He was the best hunter on Stonelick and the first tinner in the county.
came from western Pennsylvania with the Fergusons and settled on the river bottoms, near New Richmond. He served in the Westmoreland regiment. He died about 1810 leaving children, to wit: Manley, John, Philip, Hezekiah, William, Elijah, Mrs. Joshua Brown, of Ohio, Mrs. John Fisher, of Monroe, Mrs. Jesse Swern, all three of Pierce township. Captain Lindsey made a dashing record in the service as a lieutenant, and in the Pennsylvania State archives is specially mentioned to Washington’s favor.
came to Goshen settlement about 1830 from Centre county, Pennsylvania, having been eighteen months in service. His descendants went West half a century ago.
came from Virginia and settled in the Ferguson settlement, near New Richmond. He was the father of Rodham Morin, who served under Wayne in 1794 against the Indians and who fell from a boat in 1830 at Cincinnati and was drowned. Captain Morin served in Harry Lee's light horse brigade.
was of French extraction, was two years in the war, and in 1800 opened up a farm along the East Fork, in Union township. Of his sons, Zedekiah and Thomas removed; Isaac was a ship carpenter in Cincinnati, and William remained on the homestead.
served in the Virginia continental line, went to Kentucky in 1792, came to Ohio in 1798, and two years later bought a big farm on Stonelick creek, in Stonelick township, now owned in part by Ira Williams. He died in 1847. He was a famous backwoods hunter and the companion of Simon Kenton and Neil Washburn. He had no sons and his daughters, Elizabeth married William Glancy, Mary, George McCormick, Milly, John Hair, and then Timothy Kirby, of Cincinnati, and Nancy, Joseph Whetstone.
the fife major, was a pioneer in Williamsburg. He was the father of William McKnight, the tailor and was a brisk, bustling little man and was wounded in the foot at Stony Point.
a captain in the service, was a pioneer living in Monroe township in 1840. He served three years in an infantry regiment, and was at Valley Forge. He was an early settler in Williamsburg, and in 1825 was admitted on a diploma to Clermont Social lodge, F. and A. M., No. 20. He was the grandfather of Moreton Mulloy.
was of a French family, many of whom settled in Clermont. His brother, William, below Perins Mills, Daniel was an assistant surveyor to General Lytle, Peter and John in the Snell neighborhood as did Theodore, who was out eighteen months in the Revolution with Brother William in Smallwood's, Maryland, brigade.
came from Baltimore city to Goshen township in 1799, having served in Williams brigade of the Maryland line for two years. He was a tanner and farmer, owning the now well known Tom Porter farm. In 1826 he moved to Delaware county, where he died in his eighty-sixth year. His eldest son, Joseph, served in the War of 1812. Daniel, jr., went to Illinois, John to Indiana, and Mary lately died in Wisconsin, aged ninety-six.
was a pensioner in Ohio township in 1840, and owned a place on the Green survey which he entered before 1815.
came to Williamsburg in 1825, and resided there many years, dying at the age of 108 years. He was an eccentric man, and oft expressed a wish that he would die either on July 4th or January 8th (Jackson’s victory), and that at his burial a bottle of whiskey and a plug of tobacco should be placed in his coffin. He died on January 8th and his wife attended to his other wishes. Although she was eighty years old, she married again a man named Rupert, also an octogenarian.
served under Lafayette at York county. He was born in Frederick county, Virginia, June 3, 1764, and was licensed by the Methodists to preach in 1792. Three years later he emigrated to Kentucky, and in 1797 to Clermont, settling on the Matson farm just north of Milford, where he bought 1000 acres. He became a famous revivalist and exhorter, and organized the first Methodist class and society in Ohio. He died at Salem, Hamilton county, in 1836. He married Rebecca Easton in 1789, by whom the following children were born; Francis Asbury, Charles, George W., Thomas J., and Johnson – one of these was an adopted child, Mary, married to Thomas Mears, Henrietta, to Philip Hill, Lucinda E., to General Thomas Gatch, Nancy, to Mr. Gregg, and Patsey, never married.
came to Williamsburg as a deserter from the British army. and so warmly espoused the American cause that he went out in the war of 1812, and did good service for his adopted country. He was in the “Hussars” in the Revolution. He married a Miss Miller and moved to Cincinnati and there died.
was in several battles, and came from his native State, Virginia, in 1791 to Geraul's station, and from thence to the north side of Stonelick creek in 1801, on the farm now owned by William Roudebush. In 1792 his youngest brother, Richard, was stolen and adopted by the Indians and became the wealthiest man among the Wyandots and died in 1849 an aged chief.
enlisted in February 1777 for the war, and was in Captain William Vose’s company, Colonel Wood’s regiment, in Virginia line; served in this corps three years, when his regiment marched to the South and was taken at the capture of Charleston, South Carolina. He was left behind on a furlough, and his regiment was captured before he could join it, hence he was then placed in Captain N. McCalty’s company, 8th Virginia regiment, and served until Cornwalli’s capture. In 1830 he was living in this county, owned no real estate, was a cooper by trade, but from infirmity unable to work. Then his wife was living but had no children.
in 1805 settled on Barne's run, in Williamsburg township. He served throughout the war. His sons were, James, the famous old magistrate, Arthur and Ralph, and his daughters, Martha married Isaac Dye, Eleanor, Joseph Holman, Elizabeth, John Gill, and Ann, Andrew Hickey. He was the grandfather of Colonel J. A. Perrine, of Bethel, and came from Middlesex county, New Jersey, and his son, James, married Polly Kain, the mother of the late Mrs. John Jamieson, of Batavia.
was a pensioner in 1840 in Ohio township, residing with his son John.
was born in the dark and troublesome hours of the French and Indian wars in Pennsylvania, and was an officer for three years in the Revolution, serving awhile on General Wayne’s staff. In 1792 he moved from Bedford county, Pennsylvania, to Kentucky, and in Wayne’s expedition against the Indians in 1794, Colonel Paxton commanded the advance guard. He was the first permanent settler in Clermont, and erected the first house between the Little Miami and Scioto rivers near Loveland early in 1795. He was twice married. By his first wife were born one son, Robert, who remained in Kentucky, and five daughters, Mrs. Colonel William Ramsey, Mrs. Judge Owen Todd, Mrs. James Smith, Mrs. Orr and Mrs. Silas Hutchinson, who all lived near the Paxton grat in Miami. By his second wife were born Samuel and Thomas Paxton, the former yet living. Colonel Paxton was a wonderful man physically and mentally, and specially adapted to pioneer life. He died in 1813, leaving a very large estate.
a retired sea captain of Martha's Vineyard, was born in 1765, and when a boy of eleven, went aboard a patriot vessel in 1776, and was captured by the Brittish and held for months a prisoner at Halifax. He came to near Amelia in 1814, and died in 1858. He was one of the forerunners of the big Yankee colony so early planted in and around Amelia.
was born in 1765, in Virginia, and was among the reserves called out to repel the invasion of Cornwallis, and though but sixteen years old was present at the capture of Yorktown. He came to Miami township with Rev. Philip Gatch, with whom for many years he was associated as one of the associate judges of the common pleas court. Originally a brick-layer and plasterer, he bought a farm near Milford, then one near Newberry, but finally came to within two miles of Batavia where he died July 12, 1843. He was a member of the M. E. church for fifty-five years.
was a soldier in the British army, and was among the men surrendered by Cornwallis at Yorktown. He was a good man and became a worthy citizen of the Republic. He and his wife, Temperance, (Holly) were among the first settlers in the Concord neighborhood. He followed teaching for many years and died March 18, 1833, aged eighty-one. Of his sons Holly became sheriff, and William H., a Methodist preacher of distinction. His four daughters were married as follows: Elizabeth to John Kain, Margaret to John Randall, Sarah to Thomas Foster and Mary to James Kain.
was in 1840 a pensioner in Batavia township, and lived near Amelia.
early settled in Goshen, and was a man of prodigious strength, who often exercised his muscular powers in fistcuff, being reputed the best man in northern Clermont. His wife, Sarah, was living in Jackson township in 1840 and drew a pension.
with his brothers, Theophilus and John, settled near Loveland in 1798. He was from Pennsylvania and served eighteen months in the war.
served four years in the war and was a bugler under Wayne in his Indian campaign of 1794. He was in the Pennsylvania line and was in the first Revolutionary regiment raised. He was the first settler in Wayne township, and in 1802 located on the farm now owned by John Graves.
In 1801, David, Daniel and John Snell came to Clermont, but after a few months the latter returned and settled in Virginia. The first two located on the old Chillicothe road, near Williamsburg. John was in Harry Lee's cavalry.
was born in 1756 and in June, 1778, enlisted for nine months in Captain Thomas Patterson’s company, Colonel Elias Dayton’s regiment, New Jersey line, and served till March 3, 1779, when he was discharged at Elizabeth. He married a daughter of Hezekiah Lindsey and in 1830 she wad dead, all his children grown up and gone, but Elizabeth – an unmarried daughter. Mr. Swern lived in Pierce and had a farm of 110 acres.
His son, George W., in 1806, commanded the crowd in Williamsburg of Revolutionary veterans who serenaded the traitor, Aaron Burr, at Kain’s hotel with “rogues march.” Stall once owned 1000 acres in Jackson township, now the Hutchinson lands.
came to Williamsburg in 1795 with his comrade, Adam Bricker. He was unmarried, generally kept house by himself, and his cabin had a ground floor, while the single room of which it was composed afforded a place for him, his dogs, cats and chickens, all dwelling together in unity. He lived a long time on the lots now occupied by ex-County Surveyor William S. McLean, and was the first and for many years the court-house janitor.
owned a farm in Lytle's survey northeast of Williamsburg, near the Brown county line, and had served in the Pennsylvania troops.
DR. JOHN C. SMITH
born in Westfield, Massachusetts, in 1757, enlisted in Colonel James Varce's regiment, 1st Massachusetts, in 1776, served through the Revolutionary war as soldier in same, and died May 25, 1837, aged eighty years. His remains are interred in the burying ground at Christian church, near Amelia.
a Virginian, settled on the head waters of Bear creek in 1798, but removed to Monroe township where he died aged eighty-five years. He lost a leg at Germantown battle. He had four sons and two daughters: Samuel, who carried on a saw mill on Twelve Mile creek, Jonathan, a tanner, who went to Missouri, Joseph, who lived at Portsmouth, William, who went to Sandusky; one of his daughters married George Harvey, of Monroe. Is buried at Hopewell, near Felicity.
of Goshen township, died about 1840, having come there in 1800 from Centre county, Pennsylvania. His sons were Philip and George, who both lived near him, Henry and David, who went to Indiana. His only daughter, Betsey, married John Graham, a teacher and the author of pioneer arithmetic, who also moved to Indiana.
located about 1800 in the Smysor settlement, in Miami township, and died in 1825. He was in the Pavli Massacre, near Philadelphia.
served under General John Neville, and was at Trenton, Germantown and Brandywine. He came to Kentucky in 1790, and three miles from New Richmond purchased big tracts of land. His eldest son, Hon. John Shaw, lived in Clermont after 1800, and his father passed much of his time on the Ohio side of the river.
was a major in the war and came to Union township before this county was organized. He died in 1810, and his family removed. Shaylor’s run was named in his honor.
DENNIS SMITH, SR.
came from Pennsylvania and was a captain in the Revolution, and for services rendered received a warrant for 500 acres in Stonelick, on which his sons, Joseph, Christopher and David, and his son in law, James Searles, settled. He never lived here, but returned after seeing his children all comfortably located.
was born in Orange county, New York, served under Washington, married Mary Chandler in 1781, and settled in Stonelick in 1805, on the farm lately owned by this son, David, near Belfast. He came west with Samuel Perin, the founder of Perins Mills. He had four children, John, David, Archie and Phoebe, wife of Ezra Williams.
settled on Poplar creek in Tate in 1804, and two years later opened a tannery, which he carried on until his death in 1832. He was in the New Jersey troops. His sons were Jacob, who died at sea, and Benjamin, who was in the war of 1812.
was in the Revolution, and also under Gen. George Rogers Clarke in his memoroble expedition against Vincennes and Kas Kaskia in 1778. He was employed by General James Taylor to look after his Clermont land, and in 1802 removed from Kentucky and settled in Stonelick, on the farm now owned by Jacob Balshizer. In 1820 he and his family removed back to Kentucky, but while on a visit to this county in 1885 he was taken sick, died and was buried on a farm belonging to a son living in Indiana.
emigrated from Queen Anne county, Maryland, in 1794, with his brother in law, Joseph Avey, to Kentucky, and settled with his wife, Elizabeth, in 1798, in Miami township, and the next year located on the hills of eastern Union township, where now lives Oscar Johnson. He died about the year 1845. He was six months in the service, doing garrison duty near Baltimore city. His children were Philip (died young), Samuel, a blacksmith below Perin’s Mills, Jesse and Jacob L., the latter the well known magistrate, who died in 1869, and father of the late Jesse L. Teal. His daughters were Sarah, married to Joseph Jaynes, Elizabeth, to William Y, Potter and Ann to William Voorhis and the second time to John Blair.
came to Miller's station in 1801 from Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, but a few years later settled near Point Isabel, where he died in his eight-first year. His name figures very prominently in the "Pennsylvania Revolutionary Annals." His son, John, was in the War of 1812, and died in 1866, aged eighty-two. The latter raised twelve children. Adam, Jacob and Peter, sons of John Trees, Sr, removed at an early date to Indiana.
was a captain in the Virginia line and a brother in law of Major Joseph Shaylor. He entered, in 1797, a tract of land at the mouth of Shaylor’s run, in Union township, and lived there several years, then removed to Covington, Kentucky, where he died. Major Shaylor named a son in his honor – Samuel Vance Shaylor, who was in the township up to about 1820.
was on the Tate township pension list as late as 1840. He came in 1804 from New Jersey and located on Poplar creek. His sons were Oakey, Robert, James, Isaac and Wright - whose descendants are yet very numerous and influential in Tate and Williamsburg.
was among the pioneers of Pierce township in the Short settlement, and at his house some of the early Methodist meetings were held. He was in General Mercer’s brigade.
fought in the struggle for independence. He came in 1807 from Kentucky to Tate township, dying on the place now owned by William Wells, some fifty years ago, aged eighty-four. His sons, Aaron, Solomon, Isaac, Nathan and Jesse went to Indiana, John died in Williamsburg, and Robert and Eli on the homestead. One of the daughters, Anna, married James Callon.
in 1840 was a pensioner in Ohio township for services rendered in the Virginia line.
was of the family of that name illustrious in New Jersey's colonial history. He was in nine of the hardest fights of the Revolution, and in 1815 came to Clermont, in Pierce township, where he lived until his death in 1840, aged ninety-five. His wife, Elizabeth, became a centenarian. They were the parents of Elijah Ward, who came to near Cincinnati in 1800 and to Pleasant Hill, in Pierce, in 1813, where he died in 1862. This Revolutionary veteran was the grandfather of Elon, James H., Stephen, William, Elijah and John Ward, and of Mrs. George Idlet.
owned a farm in Whitaker’s survey, Williamsburg township, near the East Fork, and also a lot in Batavia in 1826.
his brother, likewise in the Revolution, resided in Williamsburg, and was always out to the 4th of July celebrations. The Waits family came to the county in 1799.
Transcribed verbatim (typos, misspellings and all) from the Clermont Courier
July 1, 1885 and July 8, 1885 issues
Dr. John Charles Tippet
7002 Abbottswood Dr.
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Early Clermont Co. Births 1856-1857
First Presbyterian Churches of Monroe
At Nicholsville & Bantam
Baptisms of Children
Anderson Township Births 1906-1907
Old Bethel Church Baptisms
Old Bethel Church Baptisms 1894-1908
Early Births 1856
Early Marriages 1800 - 1808
Marriage Book 13 1874-1876
Goshen M. E. Church
Funerals Conducted by Rev. Hezekiah Hill 1862-1908
The Old Village Graveyard
Deaths of Residents Over 75 in 1875
Infirmary Discharges That Mention a Burial Place
Death Dates from I.O.O.F. Lodge #313
Early Clermont Deaths from The Ohio Sun
Obituaries From the Clermont Sun 1890-1891
Early Deaths from Clermont Sun 1855
More Deaths 1857-1859
Stirling & Moore Funeral Records 1888
1880 Mortality Census
Goshen 1875 Quadrennial Census
Quadrennial Census, Batavia, 1847
Quadrennial Census, Batavia, 1855
Incidents in The Early History of Clermont County
Stonelick Historical Notes
Vacation of a Road in
Brown and Clermont County Families Mentioned
in the 1880 Clinton County History
Day Book For Clarke & Frambes Mills 1838
Early Naturalizations from Common Pleas Minutes
Citizenship Papers 1844-1900
Names of New Found Naturalization Applicants
Veterans in Various Cemeterys
Revolutionary War Soldiers
Clermont Courier Ads November 18, 1863
Mexican War Veterans
Revolutionary War Veterans
Post Marks of Clermont County
Clermont Postmasters 1800 - 1930
Early Unclaimed Letters
More Unclaimed Letters Unclaimed Letters 1855
Bible Records of James McKinnie 1830
Bible Records Index Volume Two
Bible Records Index Volume Three
Old Bethel Church and Cemetery
History of Old Bethel Church 1868
Calvary Church and Cemetery Washington Twp
Edenton Church 1861
Perin Mills in 1863
Goshen- Land Of Milk and Honey
First Settlers of Jackson Township
Legal Voters of Goshen Township 1855
Poll Book Goshen Township 1853
1840 Account Book, Laurel Ohio
Edenton School # 4 Pupils
More Pensions 1890
Indentures 1825 - 1831
Index To General Store Account Book 1816-1819
Vital Statistics From An Old Record Book
Items from Clermont Courier 1836
Clermont Pensioners 1883
Ohio Pioneers That Moved to Texas
Persons on the Petit Jury 1880
Jails and Sheriffs
Items From Early Clermont Courier 1852
Meeting of Patriarchs 1882
Surrender Records From Childrens Home
Articles From The Clermont Sun 1889
Sale of Delinquent Lands