Independence Township trustees purchased a plot of land approximately 4 acres in size to establish the first "bruial ground" at the corner of Rockside and Brecksville Roads. This was done in 1865. Later, in 1946, additional land was purchased to increase the size of the cemetery, bringing the total size of the cemetery to 15.66 acres.
There are two buildings left standing, from days gone by. One was used for the storage of bodies of loved ones that died when the ground was frozen and could not be buried. It now stands empty, save for the memories of loved ones gone before. The other, made of wood, was once used to store the glass sided hearse that was used to carry the bodies to the cemetery for burial.
|Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and/or the contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.|
|last edited Saturday, 05-Nov-2005 09:56:23 MST||4684 visitor|