Known as Range 12 Township 8, Cleveland Township was one of the originally surveyed townships of the New Connecticut Western Reserve in 1796. In 1800, the township was the first in Cuyahoga County to be "formed" (a government set up). From it, and then from Brooklyn Township, and later others, the city of Cleveland was formed. From map evidence, the remainder of the original Cleveland township became East Cleveland Township.
More information will be available under City of Cleveland and East Cleveland Township.