Cuyahoga County has a wealth of resources for research and museums on a variety of topics, ethnicities, and localities. So many more of interest are in neighboring counties, but could not be included here. We recommend you check with the facilities before visiting to verify hours, etc.
Left photo, Robert Rhodes House, 2905 Franklin, Cleveland, home of Cuyahoga County Archives. Photo by Laura Hine. Right photo, Euclid History Museum, 21129 North St., Euclid, by Cynthia Turk.
Major Research Repositories
- Cuyahoga County Archives
2905 Franklin Blvd.
Cleveland OH 44113-2995
216-443-7250; Fax +1 (216) 443-3636
Comments: Research library has mostly county records, but some city as well. Items of interest include births and deaths 1840s to 1908, marriages from 1810, commissioner's records, coroner records to 1900, city direcories, naturalizations, voter lists and registrations, court records, maps and atlases, tax records, and voter records. Here are some more specific listings.
- Board of County Commissioners Journals 1810-1985
- List of Electors 1893-1982, Board of Elections
- Coroner's case files, 1835-1900 (not inclusive)
- Township and ward maps, 1860, 1870, 1880 and 1890
- Atlases: Cuyahoga County, 1852, 1874, 1892, and 1903; Also City of Cleveland, 1883 and 1898
- County Building Commission Journals, including Cuyahoga County Court House, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, and certain other county buildings and bridges
- Probate Court estate case files, 1813-1913, indexes, 1813-1941
- Registration and Charters of Religions and Other Societies, 1845-1924
- Tax Duplicates, 1819-1986 (not inclusive)
- Marriage records, 1810-1941, originals; and index, 1810 to the present, available on microfilm
- Divorce case files, 1876-1882, Court of Common Pleas; also Ohio Supreme Court records, 1811-1858, and Court of Common Pleas Special Docket, files 1876-1922
- Naturalization records, 1818-1971, Court of Common Pleas; also Probate Court naturalization records, 1859-1901
- Birth records, 1849-1908
- Death records, 1840-1908
- Abstract of Votes, 1893-1974, Board of Elections
- Civil War Bounty Record, 1862
- Road Records, 1802-1898
- County Surveyor's Records, 1823-1893
- Cleveland City Directories, 1837-1939 (not inclusive)
- Necrology File, 1850-1950, 1951-1975
- Board of Elections Register of Naturalized Voters, 1836-1972
- Western Reserve Historical Society Research Library
10825 East Blvd
Cleveland OH 44106
Comments: A private library with extensive holdings for eastern US but stronger on Western Reserve and Cuyahoga County records, books, and manuscripts; 15,000 genealogies, a million photos and prints,many military records, vital records for local area as well as some large New England collections; full collections of census microfilm and several local newspapers on film. Library has been an Ohio Local Records Repository, so has many original records from the Westrrn Reserve. See web site for hours, fees, parking fees, copy costs, specific holdings, catalog and database offerings. Museums including Crawford Auto and Aviation attached.
- Cleveland Public Library
325 Superior Ave (NE corner of E 3rd & Superior)
Cleveland OH 44114-1271
216-623-2904 Newspaper (email: NEWS2@library.cpl.org)
216-623-2910 Microforms (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
216-623-2864 History & Geography
216-623-2800 General Information
Comments: See this great pamphlet, "Genealogy Resources at the Cleveland Public Library" to see what they have: http://www.cpl.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7nwFmPsTwFU=. CPL is not considered a genealogy library and lacks family histories, but it more than makes up for it in each of its departments. The map and photo department on the fourth floor is NOT to be missed!
- Cuyahoga County Public Library Genealogy Branch at Fairview Library
21255 Lorain Ave
Fairview Park OH 44070
Comments: This is the library within the Cuyahoga County Public Library System that specializes in genealogy and history. They have City directories 1831-1930, Cleveland Necrology File (index of death notices and obituaries appearing in greater Cleveland newspapers), Cuyahoga County Marriage License Index, and MANY books on local history, histories of the States and Counties in the Western Reserve, and much, much more.
- Family History Center of LDS Church
Westlake Ohio Family History Center
25000 Westwood Road
Westlake, OH 44145
Comments: Facility has helpful volunteers, many subscription databases, and most of the microfilm from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City can be rented for a small fee. See the Library Catalog.
- Cleveland State University Michael Schwartz Library
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44115-2214
Comments: Library has Special Collections Department which has the Cleveland Press morgue - photos and clippings from the now defunct paper. A law library can be helpful. University libraries have OhioLink, a large collection of databases. It supports Cleveland Memory Project of Cleveland State University (http://www.clevelandmemory.org/)
A great website for old photos of anything Cuyahoga County, as well as home to many digitized books and more!
- Ohio History Connection, previously Ohio Historical Society
Archives & Library
800 E. 17th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
Comments: Library is the State Archives and houses a huge collection of records of Ohio. It includes records of orphanages, military units, penitentiary records, psychiatric hospital records (restricted access), government records and so much more.
Local Historical Societies and Museums
- Baseball Heritage Museum
530 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Comments: Covers many leagues, historical, major and minor. Photos, letters, programs of team members.
- Bay Village Historical Society
Rose Hill Museum & Reuben Osborn Learning Center
22715 Lake Rd.
Bay Village, OH 44140
Comments: Historic archive, historic pictorial displays, Victorian living room, 1818 homestead and farm.
- Bedford Historical Society
30 Southpark Street
Bedford, OH 44146-0282
Comments: Exhibits, Centennial collection
- Berea Historical Society
Mahler Museum & History Center
118 E. Bridge St.
P.O. Box 173
Berea, OH 44017
- Brooklyn Historical Society Museum
4442 Ridge Road
P.O. Box 44422
Brooklyn, OH 44144-0422
Comments: Museum of furniture, artifacts, school history of old Brooklyn Township
- Old Brooklyn Historical Society (great website about Old Brooklyn including many links and presentations - a must see)
- Chagrin Falls Historical Society
21 Walnut Street
Chagrin Falls, OH 44022
Comments: Local museum including large photo collection of early settlers, houses, factories, businesses, events, etc.
Cleveland Heights Historical Society
P.O. Box 18337
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
Comments: Virtual postcard collection and tour of homes of the city on the web site.
- Cleveland Hungarian Heritage Museum
Galleria at Erieview
1301 E. Ninth Strett
Cleveland OH 44114
Comments: Collection of costumes, folk art, etc showing history of Hungarian-Americans in Cleveland. Extensive library with archival section.
- Cleveland Masonic Library and Museum
3615 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
216-431-6173 or for appt, 216-486-1298
Comments: Preserving history of the fraternity. Displays. Researchers welcome to study the exhibits and personal stories of members through the ages.
- Cleveland Police Museum
First Floor Justice Center
1300 Ontario Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
Comments: Preserving the history of the Cleveland Police Department, displays, etc.
- Cuyahoga Heights Historical Committee
Historic Willow House
4646 E. 71 Street
Cuyahoga Hts, OH
- Dittrick Medical History Center
11000 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-1714
Comments: History of medicine in the Western Reserve. Exhibits of surgical instruments, contraception, microscopy, medical specialties. Library.
- Donauschwaben's (Danube Swabians) German-American Cultural Center
7370 Columbia Road
Olmsted Township, OH 44138
Comments: Displays of costumes, relics, tools, books, prints and photos.
- Euclid History Museum
21129 North Street
Euclid, OH 44123
Comments: Museum of artifacts of Euclid history, library, extensive photo collection, early township minutes, and collection of original records.
- Gates Mills Historical Society
7580 Old Mill Road
Gates Mills, OH 44040
Comments: 3 story museum of furniture, historical documents and photographs
- Greater Cleveland Slo Pitch Softball Museum and Hall of Fame
585 E. 222 Street
Euclid, OH 44123
Comments: Men's and Women's softball greats.
- Lakewood Historical Society
Oldest Stone House Museum (1838)
14710 Lake Road
Lakewood, OH 44107
Comments: Museum of Lakewood 1838-70; extensive collection of doucments, photos
- Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage
2929 Richmond Road
Beachwood, OH 44122
- Mayfield Township Historical Society
Bennett VanCuren Historical Home
606 S.O.M. Center Road
Mayfield Village, OH 44143
Comments: 1847 style museum, 1890 school, log cabin and early 1900s printshop. Reference and genealogical library in the home.
- Moreland Hills Historical Society
4350 S.O.M. Center Road
Moreland Hills, OH 44022
Comments: President J. A. Garfield birthplace
- North Olmsted Historical Society
P.O. Box 38144
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138
Comments: Seven building historic museum. Earliest dates to early 1800s.
- Parma Area Historical Society
Stearns Homestead and he Gibbs House Museum
6975 Ridge Road
Parma, OH 44129
Comments: Furnishings, displays, etc.
- Polish American Heritage Center
6501 Lansing Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44105
Comments: Museum of Polish, Polish-American culture; Library of books, and historical materials.
- Shaker Historical Society and Museum
16740 South Park Blvd.
Shaker Heights, OH 44120-1641
Museum about the Shaker sect in Shaker Hts., Warrensville area. Highlights the Rapid, Van Swearingen brothers and Terminal Tower. Elizabeth Nord Library has major collection of books and materials of the Shakers, early Warrensville Township, and Shaker Heights.
- Slovenian Museum and Archives
6407 St. Clair ave.
Cleveland, OH 44103-1633
Comments: Shares Slovenian culture, history and the immigrant experience. Library archives.
- Slavic Village Historical Society
8404 Webb Terrace
Cleveland, OH 44105
Comments: Slavic Village's "home for history," relates to immigration, industry, settlement, etc.
- Soldiers and Sailors Monument
3 Public Square
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Comments: huge monument with 9.000 veteran memorials and others involved with the Civil War.
- Solon Historical Society
33975 Bainbridge Road
Solon, OH 44139
Comments: on a site where President Garfield preached.
- South Euclid-Lyndhurst Historical Society
4645 Mayfield Road
South Euclid, OH 44121
Comments: Local museum in gardner's house of W.E. Telling Mansion, where the library is located.
- Strongsville Historical Society
13305 Pearl Road
Strongsville, OH 44136
Comment: 8 building exhibit 1816-1917
- Tremont History Project
Comment: A blog with a lot of neighborhood history articles.
- Ukranian Museum-Archives
1202 Kenilworth Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113
Comments: Documents history and culture of Ukrainians, including Easter eggs, folk art, embroidery. Library of books, photographs, periodicals, etc.
- Westlake Historical Society
1171 Clague Road
Westlake, OH 44145
Comments: Victorian style museum strong on Isle of Man, one of the largest library collections for Isle of Man in US.
Most of the Genealogical Societies in Cuyahoga County belong to the Cleveland District Round Table. Their web site has information for each of them down the left panel. Meeting place and times are included there as well as a link to their web sites and contact information. The site has current meetings of many of the groups posted.
- African American Genealogical Society
- Brooklyn Genealogy Club
- Cleveland Bratislava Sister Cities, Inc.
- CIAO - Cleveland Italian Ancestors Organization
- Computer Assisted Genealogy Group-Cleveland
- Croatian Heritage Museum and Library
- Cuyahoga County Lineage Groups - the repository for the lineage applications and documents is currently (2015) is at Ohio Genealogical Society in Bellville. hey can be researched there.
- Cuyahoga Valley Genealogical Society
- Cuyahoga West Chapter of the OGS
- East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
- Greater Cleveland Chapter of the OGS
- Great Lakes Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists
- Hungarian Genealogy Society
- Jewish Genealogy Society of Cleveland
- NorthEast Ohio Computer-Aided Genealogical Society
- Polish Genealogical Society of Greater Cleveland
- Slovak Institute
- Slovenian Genealogy Society International
- Western Reserve Historical Society Genealogical Committee
Contact the Webmaster
This page was created 28 November 2013 last updated on 12 May 2015.
© Cuyahoga County OHGenWeb 2013-15. All Rights Reserved.