Euclid, the suburb of the beautiful Forest City, first felt the thrill of civilization penetrating its forests and invading its sparkling streams in 1803, when Asa and David DILLEE moved into their log house, one-half mile west of Euclid Creek. The latter was widower when he married Mary SAYLOR, and moved from Washington County, Pa., to “Dillee’s Bottom” on the Ohio river, nearly opposite Wheeling, Va. The two Mrs. DILLEES, who were sisters, traveled from the latter place on horseback, each carrying a child in her arms and one behind her on the horse. The last twenty-five miles of the way there was only a bridle path, and trees had to be cut down to make a road for the wagon, taking twenty-five days to make the twenty-five miles.
In this new home the most generous hospitality was extended to strangers, especially to ministers and soldiers; the women often sitting up all night to mend clothes for the soldiers who stopped there during the war of 1812.
The first Presbyterian Church was organized and several children were baptized in this home. One of the Mrs. DILLEES died at the home of her son, Israel DILLEE, an eminent lawyer of Newark, O., at the age of seventy years.
Cynthia, daughter of David and Mary DILLEE, learned to spin and weave, and at an early age became famous for the excellence of and rapidity with which she did her work. At the age of eighteen she began teaching school, doing the family weaving during her vacation. She married Havilah FARNSWORTH and settled about three miles from her birthplace. A number of years later she moved to Iowa, where she died 1875.
Her daughters were Mary Ellen, Abigail and Miranda. The latter became Mrs. Sardis WELCH, and settled near her birthplace. Her daughters were Harriet (Mrs. Hezekiah AVERY) of Euclid, now deceased; Eliza (Mrs. HADDEN), who resides with her son Alex HADDEN, Esq., of Cleveland; and Marian (Mrs. Pulaski CAMP), of Evarts, Mich.
Caroline, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Asa DILLEE, married John LORD and lives in Wickliffe.
Nehemiah DILLEE married Betsy McILRATH, a direct descendant of Abram CLARK, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. She was a sweet, lovable Christian woman, who looked well to the ways of her household. Her daughter Harriet became Mrs. Wm. CHAPMAN, and mother of Hon. H.M. CHAPMAN, also of Augusta; Mrs. Edward DOANE, of Euclid, and Mary (Mrs. Smith SEAMAN), of Glen Cove, L.I.
Minerva DILLEE became Mrs. Wm. H. OTIS, of Cleveland; Levantia, Mrs. Moses BARTLETT, of Hartford, Conn.; and Julia, Mrs. Lewis SAWTELLE, of Cleveland. The latter’s daughter, Julia, more familiarly known as “Little Dudie,” was a good angel to many a one less fortunate than herself. No case of destitution that ever reached her ear passed unheeded, Miss Belle SAWTELLE lived with her aunt, Mrs. A.O. DILLEE, and died 1873.
Sidney Hillard DILLEE married Candance TALBOT of Connecticut, who, previous to her marriage, taught school in the township, and had endeared herself to her scholars by her many lovable qualities.
Mrs. Philo MOSES (Mary McILRATH) moved here in 1835. Her daughters, Eliza and Julia, widow of E.J. Gray, live in Oakland, Cal., and Betsey, Mrs. Wm. MORRIS, is in Kansas City.
Mrs. Elihu MOSES (Ann GROVE) came with her parents from Maryland, 1814. Her daughters are Charlotte, Mrs. Maurice STOCKMAN, of Michigan; Roxana, Mrs. Edward SPRING, of Collinwood; and Eliza, widow of Frank GAWNE, also of Collinwood.
Robert AIKEN and wife (Anna PELTON), came from Chatham, Conn., settled on Euclid Ridge, 1824. They had only been married three years when the young husband was attacked with inflammatory rheumatism and was never able to do a day’s work on his new, uncleared farm. His brave little wife took in sewing and weaving to pay men for clearing the farm.
Once, when the sheep were short, four of the flock were missing, and later when they came in there was no one to shear them. This plucky woman took the shears and clipped the heavy fleeces. This wool she carded, spun, and knitted into mittens and socks, and sold them in Cleveland in exchange for groceries and other necessaries for those at home whose lives were dearer than her own.
Mrs. John WILCOX (Elizabeth PELTON) with her husband and two small children, from Haddam, Conn., 1821, purchased in Buffalo, while en route, a Bible and some silver spoons, which are still in the family. Mrs. WILCOX was a very religious woman, and her daughter, Elizabeth, Mrs. Jeremiah Scott CHARLES, who died here 1878, imbibed the religious sentiments of her mother to that degree that one had but to glance into her kindly face to read: she had found “the peace that passeth all understanding.” She was one of those large-hearted women who are ever ready to respond to the call of the needy and suffering.
In 1803 Benj. THORPE, John SHAW, Messrs. JONES, Wm. COLEMAN and McILRATH came from Washington, Pa., prospecting, with a view of purchasing and making a permanent settlement. Each one of these young men, with their families came the following year.
William COLEMAN purchased a tract of land on Euclid Creek, which was later called the “Great Road,” from the fact of its being the direct mail and stage rout from Cleveland to Buffalo, now Euclid avenue. Mrs. COLEMAN (Jemima CRAFT) was a lineal descendant of Rev. Abraham PIERSON, first president of Yale College, and possessed many of the sterling characteristics of her ancestors.
It is needless to repeat the hardships braved by this true-hearted woman in the new country. She learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience that were of great value to others. The latch-string to their door always hung out, and the passing stranger was sure of a warm welcome and the best the larder contained.
The young women, who came later to find a home in the western wild, never sought in vain for sympathy when they appealed to Mrs. COLEMAN. Many times with a courage born of necessity she would go through storm and darkness, riding her horse over roots and fallen trees, to see some neighbor needing friendship and motherly care. She also looked well to the interests of her home, while her husband helped make laws at Columbus.
Rebecca, daughter of the above, was a babe when the family came to Euclid. She married John GAGE, and always lived near her old home. Sophia W., the first white child born in the township, was a noble woman, and in those days when a “trained” nurse was not known, was sent for from far and near to minister to the sick and tenderly care for the dead. Pamelia, the youngest daughter, became Mrs. Harmon CUSHMAN and always remained on the old homestead.
In all reformatory work, Mrs. CUSHMAN took a deep interest. With revolutionary blood tingling in her veins she believed that taxation without representation was still a tyranny, and championed the cause of universal suffrage. She was also interested in the cause of total abstinence and worked for its promotion; was a devoted worker in the Soldiers’ Aid Society, and Decoration Day with her was religiously observed. Her belief in “spirit return” was a knowledge that illumined her pathway through the valley into the better Beyond. Her children are Gertrude L. and Ernest H. CUSHMAN, whose present home is almost on the same spot where the ox-cart tent was pitched ninety-two years ago.
Hannah MARSH CAMP, a widow, with her two sons and one daughter, moved from Marlsboro, Mass., 1809. She was a very smart woman for her time, having been a school teacher in her native town. She knew the Bible by heart and was a great politician. Her husband was a sea captain, owning the vessel on which he sailed out of Portsmouth Harbor for China, and was never afterward heard from. His widow carried his last letter upon her person until the last day of her life.
Mary BALDWIN, sister of Dudley BALDWIN of Cleveland, married Harvey CAMP, and later in life married Samuel MARSH, and moved to Iowa. Her daughter Frances, Mrs. Wm. PALMER, is now deceased; Elizabeth, Mrs. Horatio SLADE, lives on the SLADE homestead; Ann Aliza is Mrs. Derrick COLEMAN, of New York City.
Betsey, only daughter of widow CAMP, married Moses BOND, whose first wife was Rachel ALLEN, niece of Col. Ethan ALLEN, of Revolutionary renown. Betsey was the first school teacher in Euclid. Her only daughter, Susan, widow of Capt. Wm. R. SIMMONDS, still lives in Cleveland with her son.
When a little girl Susan started for school with her cousins, Henry and Francis CAMP. The schoolhouse stood where the Collamer burying ground now stands. The CAMPS lived on the N.O. STONE and FOX property, and Euclid avenue was a dense woods on either side, with trees blazed to keep people from losing their way. The children had reached the PIERPONT place when they saw a big black bear crossing the road in front of them. Susan, being the eldest, grasped the two children by the hand and ran home as fast as she could. The next morning Robinson RUPLE killed the bear.
Desire MARSH CAMP, a widow, and sister of Hannah CAMP, came a year later with two children, and purchased a farm in NOTTINGHAM. A part of the original house is still occupied. The CAMPS and MARSHES were of Revolutionary stock, the fathers soldiers in the war, the mothers and children doing the work at home. Spinning and weaving both linen and wool and making garments formed no small part of their work. “Aunt Might’s” fingers were cut off in a mill for grinding cornstalks to make sugar, and the writer remembers when a child, of seeing her knitting with her stubs of fingers.
Her daughter, Olivia, Mrs. Sanford H. DILLEE, resides on the old homestead. In 1866 she made the first shipment of grapes ever made in Euclid by a woman. She was president of the Soldiers’ Aid Society during the war, and through her untiring zeal and energy, aided by a corps of loyal women, many a luxury and comfort were sent to the boys in blue. Her children are Mr. Willis H. DILLEE and Mrs. Elizabeth DILLEE IDDINGS, who reside with her.
Mrs. Rosealthea S. CAMP makes her home with her sister, Mrs. DILLEE. During the great Sanitary Fair in Cleveland Mrs. CAMP made and donated a moss picture, which netted the fair $65.00.
Mrs. Ruel HOUSE (Harriet PORTER) was from Glastonburg, Conn., 1818. Her daughters are Mary Ann (Mrs. Charles MORSE), Harriet (Mrs. Newman SUMNER), Lucy (Mrs. Aseph STRONG), and Caroline, all residents of E. Cleveland.
Emeline RANDALL, second daughter of Joel and Phoebe, married Eric DILLIE, and lives in Nottingham. Her only daughter, Mary, is Mrs. Augustus L. MOSES, of Cleveland.
William UPSON and wife (Phoebe CAREY) were from New Haven, N.Y., 1825. John TUTTER and wife (Sally REYNOLDS), from same place located in the Richmond settlement, 1835.
Abraham FARR and wife (Lucinda LAMB) were from New York, 1823. Their daughters were Eliza (Mrs. Chas. JOSELYN), who moved to Wisconsin; Harriet (Mrs. Henry NOTT), of Cleveland; and Adelaine (Mrs. Edward TREAT), of Union Grove, Wis.
Charles EDDY and wife (Margaret MERRITT) were from Ontario, 1831. Their daughters were Jane (Mrs. Varnum DILLIE), who moved to Michigan; Harriet (Mrs. Giles HOSMER) of Nottingham; Emily, who died 1844; Ann (Mrs. George SMITH), of Noble; Adelaide (Mrs. Frank BROWN), of Michigan; and Melissa (Mrs. Robert FORSYTHE), who died in Nottingham, 1894.
Eleanor THORPE, whose parents settled near the mouth of Euclid Creek, 1810, married Abraham VORHEES and lived on a farm in Euclid. Of her children nine are still living. She died 1877.
Philena WRIGHT, born in Springfield, Mass., 1795, passed through Buffalo when the English were there, and everyone in great fear. She remained over night and the next morning started on her journey. The following night the city was burned by the British. Miss WRIGHT became Mrs. Allen WATERS and settled on a farm on the lake shore, now Noble. Mrs. Gurdon WATERS (Almira McCLOLNEY), who moved here 1842, also lives at Noble.
Mrs. Stephen WHITE (Harriet PEEKHAM), from Cranville, N.Y., 1824, settled in the southeast part of the township. Her daughter, Harriet L., born here, died at the age of eighteen. Minerva (Mrs. Harmon CARL) lived in Painesville; and Olivia (Mrs. Chauncey FULLER) in Wickliffe.
Charles WHITE and wife (Abigail BISHOP) were from Granville, N.Y., 1811. Their “latch-string” was always out to the newcomers, who settled in the southeastern part of the township. At the time of HULL’s surrender, when the people thought the British were about to invade the country, they hid their valuables in their well and fled to the interior of the forest.
Mrs. WHITE belonged to a family of wealth, and was a woman of more than ordinary educational attainments. Pioneer life soon told upon her health.
Elihu RICHMOND and wife (Betsey ROBBINS) from Middlefield, Mass., 1815, lived with the family of Mr. Charles WHITE, while their own log house was being built. Their fireplace was out of doors that summer, when it rained coals were taken into the house in a kettle. A blanket at their door was their only protection for a time, from the denizens of the forest, whose howling and growling ofttimes made night hideous.
The building of their log house was the foundation of what is still know as the “RICHMOND settlement. Their daughters were Matilda (Mrs. Harry SHEPHERD), who lived in the settlement until 1850, when she moved to Illinois and passed the remainder of her days in that state. Harriet (Mrs. Samuel HOUSE) lives in East Cleveland; Julia (Mrs. Nathan CLARK) is in Indianapolis; Jane married and settled in Missouri; another daughter is Mrs. Simeon WENHAM of San Franciso, Cal., and Mary is Mrs. Virgil SPRING of East Cleveland.
The daughters of Mary SPRING are Aurelia (Mrs. Hezekiah WENDHAM), who moved to Michigan; Fidelia (Mrs. Clark LESLIE), of Richmond settlement; and Adelaide, who is on the old homestead.
Sallie RICHMOND, youngest daughter of Elihu and Betsy, was only eight years old when she came to Ohio with her parents. The privileges of education were limited, but she made good use of her time and was able to teach school, receiving seventy-five cents a week and boarding herself.
She could use a rifle to good advantage in bringing down game, or shooting at a mark. She married George WESTON, and her only daughter, Sarah (Mrs. John WENHAM) lives near the old home.
Betsy LAWSON married William Wood RICHMOND and moved here, 1815.
Seth RICHMOND and wife (Nancy PALE) came to Euclid. 1830. Their daughter Mary (Mrs. Henry MOTT) lived in East Cleveland.
Martha RICHMOND became Mrs. Monroe BARNES and lives in Lorain. Susan went to Wisconsin.
Mrs. Elihu MOSES (Elizabeth TALBOT), from Burlington, Conn., 1819, was a very remarkable woman. Her husband was a captain in the war of 1812, and when the messenger came to tell her of his death she said: “I know what you have come to tell me. It is that Elihu is dead, for I saw him lying in a pool of blood.” She afterward married Wm. CHINMARK, and her wedding dress was orange and blue silk.
“Grandmother CHINMARK” was thoroughly conversant with herbs and their uses. She had a still of home manufacture with which she distilled peppermint oil. The process by which she procured opium was rather novel, and in this day of hustle would be tedious, to say the least. She grew large beds of poppies, and as soon as the petals fell she punctured the seed pods, with a fine needle, and, after the milk dried, gathered them. She found a ready market in Cleveland for her peppermint oil, opium, and dried fruit, which she personally delivered to her patrons.
Her services were always in great demand among her neighbors. Her knowledge of the medicinal properties of herbs, coupled with good judgment and kindness of heart, always made her a welcome guest.
Her daughter, Ardolisa MOSES, married Austin H. AVERY, of Euclid, and her daughters are Harriet (Mrs. Warren GARDNER), also of Euclid,; Betsey (Mrs. Hon Harry SARTER), of Mayfield; and Julia (Mrs. Wm GALIS), of Collinwood.
Betsey MOSES married John COLEMAN and remained in Euclid until her death. Roxana MOSES became Mrs. Chas. MUNSON and moved to Missouri.
Amanda, daughter of Jason and Elmira COUCH CROSIER, of Massachusetts, was seven years old when her parents moved to Richmond settlement, 1816. She taught the district school, saw the first church built with a steeple on the Western Reserve, and in that building, the old Presbyterian Church of Collamer, attended her first Sunday school.
She was charter member of the M.E. Church in Euclid, which was at one time the largest church in the country, and was the last one of that company to be called home. Her daughters are Harriet (Mrs. DeWitt REEVES), OF Nottingham; Ruth (Mrs. John H. PARR); Henrietta (Mrs. G.C. MAPES) Augusta (Mrs. C.C. MAPES), all of Collinwood.
Luther CROSIER and wife (Annie RODGERS), from Gorham, N.Y., came to Euclid on their wedding trip. Their daughter, Sarah Jane died 1857. Phoebe Ann, wife of Rev. S. WOODMANSEE, lived in Noble; Mary died 1895; Lucy married John ABRAHAMS and lives in Iowa; Harriet is Mr. S.S. PARR, of Grand Rapids, Mich. Serena A. and Emma L. (Mrs. F. HARNE) living in Nottingham. Maria is Mrs. Luke DEVOE, of Noble; Harriet (Mrs. Orsemus EASON), and Clarissa (Mrs. Nathaniel BEMUS) live in Lorain.
Jonathan PELTON and wife (Elizabeth DOANE) were from Chatham, Conn., 1812. Their daughter Beulah became Mrs. Dennis COOPER. Her daughter Harriet (Mrs. John M. BLAKE) was a woman of refined tastes and habits, and exceedingly devoted to the interests of her home. Sarah lives in ILLINOIS.
Anna PELTON (Mrs. Dr. THOMPSON) moved to Michigan. Mary married Silas BELDING, of Cleveland. The day before the wedding was to take place the worst snowstorm of the season made it impossible for the groom to make his appearance, and it was several days before the young couple could celebrate the hanging of the crane.
Harriet PELTON (Mrs. Milo HICKOX), of Cleveland, will be remembered by many now living as a woman generous to those less favored than herself. In the final disposition of her property she did not forget the Freedmen of the South, nor the Indian schools scattered throughout the states.
Sally PELTON became Mrs. Capt. Wm. TREAT. Her daughters are Valeria (Mrs. James TERRY) of Terryville, Conn.; Elizabeth (Mrs. Henry TAYLOR) of Willoughby, now of Kansas; Cornelia married Rev. Linas BLAKESLY, of Terryville, Conn., who has been pastor of the Congregational Church in Topeka, Kansas, for several years.
Mary PORTER, from Glastonburg, Conn., 1818, married Seth PELTON. Their daughter Augusta (Mrs. Jehial HANCOCK) lives here; Harriet (Mrs. Aspeh STRONG) moved to Iowa.
Benj. A. HAMILTON and wife (Minerva FARNSWORTH), both from Hartford, Conn., 1820, built their home in the southeastern part of the town. The following year invitations were sent out by Mr. HAMILTON to friends and neighbors to come to a barn raising. Among other refreshments served on that occasion were five bushels of doughnuts.
Their daughter, Minerva, Mrs. Henry PIXLEY, has always lived on the original farm. Betsey (Mrs. Walter S. COLEMAN) moved to Fulton County; Jane is Mrs. Wm. ROBINSON, of Arkansas. Rachel (Mrs. Wm. DENIS), and Minerva (Mrs. Wm. FROST), live in Mansfield.
When Adlissa HESTON and Wm. DEMALINE were married, 1839, supper was served to one hundred guests in a log house, the floral decorations being sunflowers and morning glories. The bridal dress was of white muslin trimmed with lace and ribbons. The bridal party descended from the chamber on a ladder to the floor below, where they were married, Wm. ADAMS being the officiating justice of the peace.
The following day they went to Mrs. LENTZ’s in Mayfield, where a reception was given them. The commenced housekeeping with a well-filled larder, consisting of one barrel flour, one box raisins, two pounds tea, four pounds coffee, and other groceries in abundance, more than the average country store then contained. Not being accustomed to housekeeping, the groom ordered one bushel green peas, one quarter of lamb, and other things accordingly, for their first meal.
Mr. DEMALINE was a tailor by trade and his wife often worked with him far into the night to help pay for a farm of seventy acres in Euclid, where they lived seven years. Their present home is Dover. Their daughter, Mary Ann, is Mrs. RUPLE, of Euclid; and Hannah, Mrs. Thomas ANDREWS, of Ridgeville.
Chairman and Historian
Euclid Committee - Mrs. A.O. DILLE, Mrs. R.S. CAMP, Mrs. A.C. GARDNER, Miss Addie SPRING, Mr. Stephen WHITE, Jr.