Rockport, one of the northern townships of Cuyahoga county, lies on the southern shore of Lake Erie. It is eight miles from Cleveland, and the Nickle Plate, Lake Shore, and Big Four railroads run through it. The Cleveland & Elyria, also the Detroit street electric roads, pass through portions of it. Rocky River flows through the town from the southwest corner to Lake Erie, passing nearly the whole distance between high and abrupt embankments, which are thickly wooded and present a picturesque appearance.
The first white person to settle in the township (so says an old record, kept by Henry ALGER) was John HARBERTSON, an Irish refugee, who, with his family, in the spring of 1809, located upon the east side of Rocky River, near its mouth, and William McCONLEY, who came with him.
George PEAKE, a deserter from the British army, with money entrusted him to pay the soldiers, married a black woman in Maryland, who had nursed him through a sickness. He came with his family to Rockport, 1809, and his wagon was the first to pass over the new road from Cleveland to Rocky River. He had four sons, who, with their father, built the first hand mill, which was a great improvement over the stump mortar and spring pole pestle. Peake lived to be one hundred and five years of age.
Sara, daughter of Samuel and Mary WELLER DEAN, born in Massachusetts, 1789, married Datus KELLEY, and moved to Rockport, 1811. She was one of the foremost women in acts of benevolence, in giving cheer and assistance to the despondent, and was patient amid the trials and privations of her new home. She would often take her babe in her arms and ride on horseback six or eight miles to care for the sick, and was both nurse and doctor for many years. She died at Kelley’s Island, 1864, having survived her golden wedding three years. Her son, Addison, was the first white male child born in Rockport. Her husband, Datus KELLEY, at a township meeting in 1827 astonished the company by presenting a temperance pledge for signatures. There was a storm of opposition and a loud outcry against what was called “Kelley’s Onslaught upon liberty,” but despite all this he persevered, and succeeded in gaining many adherents to the cause.
The first wedding in the township was at Datus KELLEY’s, 1814. The parties were Chester DEAN and Lucy SMITH, daughter of Abner SMITH, one of the pioneers of Dover. George WALLACE, Esq., of Cleveland, performed the ceremony. It was a splendid wedding for olden times, although there were no sleighbells jingling in Rockport then. Those who were wealthy enough to own a yoke of oxen rode on sleds, and those who owned no team went on foot. Mrs. DEAN had two daughters, Lucy and Sarah.
Abigail TAYLOR, second wife of Chester DEAN, came with her parents from Lenox, Mass., 1812. And settled in Dover, O. She married Chester DEAN 1818, and came to Rockport. Her husband died 1838. At the death of her husband she was left with nine children. By rigid economy and good management she was enabled to keep her family together and give them a fair education. Their principal food at first was fish caught in the river. They used sassafras and other herbs for tea. After a while they were enabled to procure a quarter of a pound of tea, which was used only on state occasions, and lasted a whole year. She made her own candles, and, if the supply gave out, would resort to pine knots and hickory bark. Money was very scarce, and every penny was hoarded for freeing their home from debt and for taxes, which were about $2.50 a year.
Out of a barn containing 600 bushels of wheat only seventy-five cents in money was realized.
“Aunt Nabbie,” as she was called, was very hospitable, and ever ready to respond to the calls of neighbors in sickness or trouble. She died, 1881, in the eighty-sixth year of her age. Her daughters are Mary Ann (Mrs. Philip P. WRIGHT) who has three daughters, and makes her home with one of them. Mrs. W.D. KELLEY (Marcella DEAN) is now living at Kelley’s Island
Mrs. Eliel FARR (Hannah GARDINER) was born in Boziah, Conn., 1769, married and came to Ohio 1819, and settled in Rockport, where she remained until her death. She was the mother of four sons, and adopted a girl, whose name was Jane. Her husband was as civil engineer, and among the relics of the FARR family are plans of the first bridge built across Rocky River. They kept store, and here are some items taken from an old account book:
|Oct. 15, 1816, 1 bbl. Salt…………………$8.25|
Sept. 4, 1816, 5 ½ yds. Calico……………. 3.10
Aug. 27, 1816, 1 ½ yds. Broadcloth………10.50
Oct. 14, 1816, 3 ½ yds. cotton sheeting…… 1.75
For postage on letters………………………. .25
The FARRS, having their pewter dishes stolen by Indians and expecting company, resorted to the expedient of whittling some out of basswood chips.
Mrs. Aurellus FARR (Marilla FOLLET) came in 1812 with her father’s family from Lenox, Mass., where she was born. After arriving at their destination, they at once set about making their home, and endured all the privations and hardships familiar to early settlers. Marilla married in 1821, and they moved on to a farm in Rockport, where she resided until her death, 1874. Her daughters were Amanda (Mrs. William BIDWELL) and Hannah (Mrs. Alfred KELLEY), now deceased. Emily, wife of D.K. HUNTINGTON, is now living in Olmsted, O. Mrs. FARR was a faithful friend and neighbor, a kind mother, and for many years gave to her husband’s aged father the tender care of a true daughter.
Mrs. Rufus WRIGHT (Hepsibath ST. JOHN) was born and married in the State of New York. She, with her family, settled in Rockport 1816. Her husband, Rufus WRIGHT, was a soldier in the war of 1812. He kept a ferry at Rocky River, and built half of the first bridge at that point, the rest being built by subscription. He assisted in cutting our the first road west of the river, and bought three-fourths of an acre of land now occupied by the Silverthorn House for $300, evidently sharing the belief that there was destined to be a great city near the natural harbor at the mouth of the river. WRIGHT put up a tavern of considerable size, and from 1816 to 1853 the house remained in possession of the WRIGHT family. A part of the old building still remains in the improved structure.
One day Mrs. WRIGHT started on horseback to visit a neighbor, when she encountered a bear, which disputed the right of way, walking back and forth in front of her horse. She concluded discretion the better part of valor, and postponed her visit for that day. She is remembered as being a good woman and kind to the poor. Her daughter Laura was lame, and never married. Hester (Mrs. HALL) eventually made her home in Indiana. Maria married Chauncey DEMING, went into his father’s family, and, like Ruth of old, became one of them. She was a kind neighbor, and amidst her domestic labors, ever found time to give to the sick, and many a dying pillow was smoothed by her tender touch. She died in Rockport, 1881, aged almost seventy years. Two of her daughters would be counted among the pioneer women. Laura married Murray FARR, is the mother of three daughters, and still lives on a portion of the old farm. Mrs. Calvin TARR (Josephine DEMING) has two sons and one daughter.
Mrs. McMAHON (Julia BENEDICT) probably the oldest pioneer woman in Rockport, was born 1800 in Stamford, Conn. In 1831 she, with her husband, came to Ohio. They were considered wealthy in those days, having about $500. She has never had a sick day since, and when eighty-six years old was able to walk ten miles. During the first year of her pioneer life she would take butter and eggs in a basket on her arm and walk to Cleveland, a distance of eleven miles, to exchange them for groceries. Their first crop of potatoes was taken to Cleveland, where they were offered but three cents per bushel, the pay in trade. Mr. McMAHON in disgust pulled the end board out of his wagon, and let them roll into the river. She remembers seeing Lafayette. She is the mother of nine children, and is at present living with her son, Philotas McMAHON, at Rocky River.
Mrs. Patrick KENNELLY (Mary BARRON) was born in Tipperary county, Ireland, in 1813, came with her parents to Cleveland in 1834, where she married Patrick KENNELLY, who had accompanied them across the ocean. After their marriage they came directly to Rockport, and he was employed by Reuben WOOD, who was afterwards Governor of Ohio. In a few years Mr. and Mrs. KENNELLY purchased a little farm of their own. Her husband was soon stricken with paralysis, which left the burden of providing for the family upon herself and young children. She raised her family and lived to the age of seventy-seven years.
Mrs. Jeremiah GLEASON (Catherine DEDRICK) came with her husband from New York in 1831. They drove through with a span of horses, bought 130 acres of land on the “hog’s back” road, and turned the horses in towards payment. Mrs. GLEASON was an industrious woman, the first one up in the morning. She had four sons and three daughters. Two sons are still living in Lakewood hamlet.
Keturah MILLER, wife of Mars WAGAR, came from Ontario county, N.Y., in 1820. They drove through in a wagon and brought three cows with them. They would put the milk in the churn and the motion of the wagon churned the butter. They located on Detroit street and had five sons and two daughters. The son Israel D. married Elizabeth PYLE, 1822. She is the mother of eight children, is gentle in her nature, kind and hospitable, and beloved by a large circle of friends. She is still living on Detroit street.
Sarah CURTISS, wife of Joseph HALL, came from Chatteris, England in 1832, and bought two acres of land of Joseph GRANT at $40 per acre. They had four sons and three daughters. The sons are living in Lakewood.
Rosetta SHELHOUSE, born in Vermont in 1792, married James SAXTON, and with her young husband emigrated to the Western Reserve in 1812, traveling by wagon a distance of 1,800 miles. Here is a portion of a letter written by her at the age of eighty years: “While living in a stockade with other families on the shore of Lake Erie, as a protection against unfriendly Indians, we experienced an awful anxiety, while listening to the roar of distant cannonading, which decided that important naval victory of Commodore PERRY.” She was a pioneer in four States, Ohio, Michigan, Kansas, and Nebraska, where she died at the age of one hundred and two years. Her daughter, Rosetta SAXTON, born in Vermont in 1812, married Collins FRENCH in 1832, having made his acquaintance while teaching school near his home. Mrs. FRENCH was one of the first members of St. John’s Church, in Ohio City, was president of the Soldiers’ Aid Society of East Rockport during the war, was very hospitable and her home a model of neatness and thrift.
Malone WINSLOW, the first white child born in Malone, N.Y., and named after the town, married Jonathan PLYMPTON, came to Ohio in 1833, and settled on the east side of Rocky River. They had six children. Clarissa PLYMPTON, their daughter, married J.A. KIDNEY and lives in Lakewood.
Mrs. James NICHOLSON (Betsey BARTHOLOMEW), born at Waterbury, Conn., in 1793, settled in Rockport in 1818, where her husband bought 200 acres of land. They lived in their wagon until they put up a log cabin, and at that time were the only settlers between the Cuyahoga and Rocky rivers. In 1826 they built a frame house, and shortly afterwards opened it as a tavern. Mrs. NICHOLSON died January 1879. Her son Ezra resides on the old place.
Mrs. William BROWN (Eunice Sackett BLANKESLEE) came from North Haven, Conn., in 1827, and married in 1832. She spun and wove wool blankets, carpets, and linen.
Anne KEELER, born in Vermont, 1779, came with her husband, Zenas BARNUM, and settled in Rockport. She was a devoted mother and Christian and was a great lover of flowers, of which she cultivated many rare kinds. Her daughters were Delia (Mrs. George FERRIS) and Jane (Mrs. DEMING).
Sarah PLACE, born in Providence, R.I., in 1809, married Benjamin BROWN and came with her family to Rockport in 1830. She was a woman of strong characteristics, was interested in all the affairs of the nation, and a great reader. She died at the age of forty-eight years. Her daughter Phebe married George T. BARNUM, who was clerk of the township as early as 1833, and afterwards member of the State Legislature. She had five daughters and lived in Rockport until her death. Sarah, the second daughter, married Henry JORDAN and died in 1846.
Mrs. Calvin GIDDINGS (Mary BENNETT), born in Jefferson county, N.Y., in 1805 was adopted by an uncle when three years of age and brought by him to Ashtabula, O., in 1808. She married Calvin GIDDINGS. She was a woman who seldom went among her neighbors. She said: “I simply could not go, having to make, mend, and cook for nine boys.” She had not been to the mouth of Rocky River since the bears ran wild there. She was a lover of flowers and did fine needlework. Her daughter, Mrs. Gideon PEASE, is the only one of her children living in Rockport.
Mrs. Solomon PEASE (Mary E. ROGERS) was born in Chautaqua county, N.Y., and came to Rockport in 1827. Like all pioneers, they had their hardships. She spun and wove cloth for herself and family. Of her five children all are living but her daughter Dorothy, who married Frederick WRIGHT. Mrs. PEASE died in 1888 at the age of seventy-nine years.
Laura FOOTE, wife of J.D. TAYLOR, born in Berkshire county, Mass., in 1807, came with her father’s family, David FOOTE, and settled in Dover in 1815, was married in 1824, and immediately commenced housekeeping in a log cabin in the woods in Rockport. She had three sons and two daughters. They were among the first members of the Methodist church. Mrs. TAYLOR died in 1859.
Mrs. Isaac HIGLEY (Phebe M. JOHNSON), born in Duchess county, N.Y., in 1793, married Isaac HIGLEY and came to Rockport in 1834. They had six sons and three daughters. Three children are still living, Mary C. WHITNEY, a resident of Wellington, O., and Olive A. GOLDING, of Saginaw, Mich. Her son, M.J. HIGLEY, is living on the original farm in Rockport.
Eliza JORDAN, born in New York State, came to Ohio in 1830 with her husband and family. Her sister Polly, who married Homer CLARK, also came in the same year. Susan, another sister, married Harlow LANDPHAIR and came to Rockport in 1834. They had five sons and four daughters. She died in 1856. The eldest daughter, Susan, married and settled in Iowa. Sophronia meried David CHITTOCK and died in Rockport. Sabrina married Jacob GASNER and moved to Dover, where she died.
Mrs. Alva LANDPHAIR (Sally KNOWLES) came from Madison county, N.Y., with her husband in 1832 and settled in Rockport. They had five sons and six daughters. Several children are yet living. One daughter is in Cleveland.
Mrs. Ben McCLAREN (BOWERS) (Julia SOUTHERN) came with her parents from New York. Little Julia went to school in a log house on what is now the ATWELL place. The stump of a tree, enclosed within the walls, served as a desk for the teacher, Miss MASTERS, an aunt of I.U. MASTERS, afterwards Mayor of Cleveland. She had ever been a consistent member of the Methodist church and still lives in Rockport.
Mrs. William GALLOP (Polly WORDEN) came from New York to Rockport in 1836. She had three sons and eight daughters, all born in Brookfield, N.Y. Her daughter Betsey married Philip JORDAN in Madison county, N.Y., and emigrated to Rockport prior to 1840. They had two sons and four daughters. Their son Ansel enlisted in the war of Rebellion and died in Libby Prison. Betsey JORDAN died in Rockport in 1842.
Mrs. Royal MILLARD (Annie FRANCIS), born in Massachusetts, in 1786, was married to Royal MILLARD in 1809. She had two sons and five daughters. In 1831 they moved to Rockport and bought a farm on the north bank of Rocky River, where she resided until her death. Her daughter Mary (Mrs. A.S. BRISTOL) settled in Ravenna, O. Annie (Mrs. Addison KELLEY) removed to Kelley'’ Island in 1854. Lucy Frances (Mrs. Elijah MURRAY) remained with her parents until their death and then removed to Kelley’s Island. All are now dead.
Mrs. James STRANAHAN (Frances FOSTER), born in Massachusetts in 1800, was a descendant of the Winslows of colonial fame. Her grandfather was a member of the Massachusetts constitutional convention. She was educated at Amherst Academy, where she became acquainted with Noah WEBSTER, author of the dictionary. After leaving the academy she taught the public schools. When a child she saw the American troops pass her door on the way to Boston during the war of 1812. She married James STRANAHAN, a merchant, of Syracuse, N.Y., and came to Rockport in 1833. In going to their home, near Stranahan hill, while attempting to cross the river with two children, they, with their wagon were nearly swept down the stream, which was swollen to a mighty torrent by the spring rains. She was a plain, modest woman, but of sturdy convictions, was opposed to the whisky-drinking habit so popular among the early settlers, was a wise counselor, a prudent and loving mother, and esteemed by those who knew her best. She died in 1889. Her daughters were Frances (Mrs. John HEATON), Lydia, now deceased, and Mary (Mrs. George Andrew FARRAND, of Rockport).
Rachel SMITH, born in Massachusetts in 1800, married Silas SOUTHWORTH, cane to Dover in 1811, and removed to Rockport in 1836. She was a sturdy, industrious woman. When a child she stood on the banks of Lake Erie with her father, who was a soldier of the Revolution, and witnessed the navel battle fought by PERRY. Her only daughter and surviving child, Mrs. William SPRAGUE (Rebecca SOUTHWORTH), is living in Dover.
Catherine PARKS, wife of John SWEET, born in Madison county, N.Y., in 1812, moved to Rockport with her husband in 1838. They came with one horse and covered wagon and a cow led behind. She died in 1873. Her only child, Mr. D. O. SWEET resided in Rockport.
Wealthy FRANCIS, born in Swansea, Mass., in 1774, married Peleg MASON, a soldier, commissioned lieutenant and ensign by John HANCOCK and Samuel ADAMS. These commissions, also a few pieces of continental money and a sample of Boston harbor tea, are preserved in the family. Her husband having died in the service, she sought a home with her sister, who had married her husband’s brother. At the death of her sister she adopted her sister’s child, Lydia MASON, who married James S. ANTHONY. Together they settled in Rockport in 1832. Wealthy MASON brought with her apple seeds and planted an orchard, a portion of which is still standing. She was an energetic woman, a good cook, a thorough housekeeper, and could spin and weave. She died at the home of her niece in 1849. Mrs. James S. ANTHONY died in 1856, aged fifty-four years. The eldest daughter married Jonathan PECK and is living in Elyria, O. Sarah Lord ANTHONY, the youngest daughter, lives in Denver, Col. The family of Edward M. ANTHONY, the youngest son, lives on the old homestead.
In 1812 Nathan ALGER, with his wife, Susan, and four sons, came from Connecticut and founded what to this day is known as the “ALGER Settlement.” His son, Henry, married Susan NICHOLS. Their daughters were Philana D., the first white girl born in Rockport, 1812. She married MORGAN, and was the mother of two sons and four daughters. After being a pioneer here for several years, she moved to Michigan on a forest farm, which she cleared, doing the logging and plowing with a yoke of oxen. She also planted her fields, her husband being perfectly helpless from rheumatism. She was a woman of refinement and culture, and a devoted Christian.
Mrs. Nathan ALGER (Emily FOLLIOTTE) moved from Massachusetts in a wagon in 1812, and married in 1828. Her daughter Tempy (Mrs. William HALL) is yet living.
Mrs. Isaac WARREN (Amelia BRONSON), born in Connecticut in 1799, married in 1814, and came to Rockport in 1822. She had five sons and two daughters, was a thrifty woman, spinning and weaving cloth, both from flax and wool.
Mrs. Charles L. USHER (Marvin PALMER) born in Connecticut and married in New York. In the winter of 1818 she, with her husband and family, drove through from New York in a sleigh, a portion of the way from Buffalo on the frozen lake. She was the mother of three sons and four daughters. Mary born in New York in 1802, married William JORDAN in 1821, removed to Rockport in 1827, and settled on the South Ridge. Mr. JORDAN taught school winters, which left his wife to care for their growing family. It was the home of early Methodism in Rockport. The first class was organized in 1828, and many a time the sap kettle was taken from the crane and set aside to give place to the preaching service and prayer meeting. The circuit rider, with his saddlebags, was a welcome and regular guest at her hospitable home. She had twelve children, who grew to maturity. In 1845 her husband died, leaving her to care for her large family, which she did, giving all a fair education
She died in 1882. Her daughters now living are Jane E. (Mrs. Sidney LAWRENCE), Mary A. (Mrs. S.H. BROWN), and Lucy, who remains at home.
Mrs. Benjamin SPENCER (Sallie USHER) born in New York, 1808, came with her father’s family to Rockport in 1827. She married Benjamin SPENCER, and had a son and a daughter. She died in 1840.
Mrs. Mathew JORDAN-SPENCER (Diana USHER) came to Rockport in 1827, married Mathew JORDAN, and had two sons and two daughters. Her husband died in 1843, leaving her the care of her children. She afterwards married Benjamin SPENCER. Of this marriage one daughter was born. She had a remarkable memory. She died in 1896, aged eighty-six years.
Hannah INGRAHAM, born 1777 in N. Bradford, Conn., married Junia BEACH and in 1816 moved to Ridgeville, O. She found a temporary home with Judge ELDRED, with whose assistance a home was built. Here Mrs. BEACH lived but one year. Her husband dying, she again found a home with the good Judge ELDRED, where she remained until she married Amos SPERRY, of Dover. During their residence in Dover they kept a tavern, which was a haven of rest to travelers on the stage coach which then made regular trips from Cleveland to Detroit. Mr. SPERRY died in 1847, after which his widow resided with her daughter, Mrs. J.P. SPENCER, of Rockport. During her long life she was much noted for her powers of endurance. She once made a journey of sixty-six miles on horseback, carrying a child in her arms. She was a member of the Congregational church. She died at the age of ninety-nine years.
Electra Miriam BEACH, born in Norfolk, Conn., 1811, only daughter of Junia and Hannah INGRAHAM BEACH, came to Ohio in 1816, when the red man still lingered and wild beasts were plenty. She married J.P. SPENCER and removed to their home in Rockport, riding with their household goods on a sled drawn by oxen. The “setting out” included the spinning wheel and distaff, and for a score of years the hum of wheels vied with the art of muslin and lace embroidery, in which she excelled. Six children to be clothed and fed left no time for idleness. Mrs. SPENCER was an ardent Methodist, and in touch with the progressive ideas of the day. Her home was the center of generous hospitality. She died in 1890. Her eldest daughter married James A. POTTER, Hannah L. married Francis W. MASTIC.
Sarah TOMLINSON married Russell HAWKINS at Derby, Conn., in 1813 and emigrated to the “Reserve” in 1817. Her father had given her a farm of 100 acres in Kirtland. This was sold for one Mentor, and in 1836 this also was sold, and one purchased in Rockport, on which her grandchildren still live. Her daughters, Elizabeth and Caroline, were among the early teachers in Rockport, teaching for seventy-five cents a week, and “boarding around.”
Lydia (FOSTER) HAWKINS, born 1793 at New Braintreee, Mass., left her old home in 1831 to visit her sister, Mrs. STRANAHAN. In 1843 she married Russell HAWKINS, of Rockport, where she died in 1861. During the years of the underground railroad she was of great assistance to her husband, their house being a station for the colored refugees on their way to Canada. It is related that at one time her best bonnet was taken without her knowledge, and used as a disguise for a colored woman who was fleeing from bondage.
Mrs. Benjamin MASTIC (Eliza TOMLINSON),who settled in Rockport was the devoted mother of seven children, a kind neighbor, and a consistent Christian. Her eldest daughter, Lavina, married Nathaniel WOOD and is a resident of Rockport. Laura removed to California, where she married and died. Cornelia married A.B. SPENCER, and lives in Rockport.
Keziah WITT, born in Massachusetts, 1806, married Ezra BASSETT, and came to Ohio in 1837, traveling by wagon to Troy, thence by canal to Buffalo, and from there to Cleveland by steamer. The eldest daughter, L.D. NICHOLS, remembers a race between their steamer and a rival. Mrs. BASSETT had five sons and two daughters. She lived in Rockport in 1890. Her daughter Marzilla became Mrs. L.D. NICHOLS, and Elizabeth, Mrs. Charles JORDAN; both reside in Rockport.
Fanny Marilla NICHOLLS, born in Connecticut, 1792, married Dyer NICHOLS, came to Rockport and settled in what was then known as the Alger settlement. At the time of Perry’s victory her goods were packed for removal to safer quarters, and she was listening for the roar of cannon, when a friendly Indian came and told of Perry’s victory. She returned to New York on a visit, making the journey on horseback, her husband walking by her side. In 1814 they again returned to Rockport, where she remained until her death in 1875.
Mrs. Morgan WATERS (Catherine BROOKS) came from Ireland in 1828 with her husband and two daughters, and settled in Canada. Later they removed to Rockport. The Oldest daughters, Mary and Catherine - finished their education in a log school house on the Public Square in Cleveland. Wild turkeys were plentiful, and at one time Catherine caught three in a trap, which took the combined efforts and three children to drag them to the house. Mrs. WALTERS died in 1848.
Mrs. Weller DEAN (Achsah WHITWOOD), born in W. Stockbridge, Mass., 1814, came to Ohio in 1834, on a visit to Aunt RAWSON, in Grafton or Rawsonville; while there, became acquainted with A. Weller DEAN, whom she married. They came to Rockport and resided with a relative while their log house was being built; at its completion began the battle of life, and no pioneer ever fought more valiantly than she for an unencumbered home which, after many years, was realized. She took a deep interest in leading events of the time, and it was a rash individual who had the boldness to antagonize her in political debate. Reared amidst culture and refinement, she adapted herself to the conditions of pioneer life. Of the many who came to her door, not one departed hungry, and no one who wished a night’s repose under her roof was ever turned away. She was ever at the bedside of the poverty stricken, and in contagious diseases went where others feared to go. She was desirous that her children might receive a better education than the common schools afforded. In the early “forties” she was a regular attendant at the Episcopal church in Dover.
Mrs. Reuben WOOD (Mary RICE) was born in Vermont in 1798. In that State her girlhood was passed, and there she married Reuben WOOD, a young law student. They came to Cleveland in 1819, when the city was a village of less than two hundred inhabitants. Mr. WOOD rose rapidly to fame in the new West, and in 1850 was inaugurated Governor of the State. He resigned this position in 1853 to accept the Consulship to Valpariso, Chilie.
They came to Rockport in 1836. Mrs. WOOD was left a widow in 1864, and two years later removed to California, making several trips across the continent at an advanced age. She was president of the Soldiers’ Aid Society of West Rockport during the war. She had two daughters. Loretta married G.B. MERWIN, who was Consul to Chilie. While there she wrote a history of the country. She was loyal and patriotic, and during the war, with her mother, did good work for the soldiers of the Union. Mary married Seabury MASTIC, and removed to California, where she now resides.
It is impossible to name all the families or to mention sons and daughters who came with the pioneer element. The mention of any name in this list, without detail, is a grateful tribute to the zeal and courage attendant on pioneer life; an inheritance from such ancestors is better than riches.
Chairman and Historian
Rockport Committee - Mrs. Nellie D. CRABBE, Miss Elizabeth Hawkins